Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Oly1987, April 7, 2021, 7:41am
https://youtu.be/obOBSDpDuJo

HITC Sevens did a piece on the fraudulent takeover of Notts County. Cant help but feel like its a cautionary tale of being careful who you trust. I for one am glad that Alex Mays involvement with the club was found out and exposed as we couldve been the next club to have been dragged down by such a scandal.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 7, 2021, 8:35am; Reply: 1
i watched this,  quite incredible the level of fraud
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 7, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 2
A cautionary tale for the Trust too. The Notts trust saved County from going under, did all the hard work then when the buyers turned up promising Premier League football, they couldn’t wait to hand over the Crown Jewels.

Pompey did the same thing when that Mickey Mouse bloke came along. They argued that they didn’t have the funds necessary to support the club. That hasn’t exactly been a roaring success either. You’d expect them to be higher than that given their crowds.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 7, 2021, 12:10pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Oly1987
https://youtu.be/obOBSDpDuJo

HITC Sevens did a piece on the fraudulent takeover of Notts County. Cant help but feel like its a cautionary tale of being careful who you trust. I for one am glad that Alex Mays involvement with the club was found out and exposed as we couldve been the next club to have been dragged down by such a scandal.

I see what you're saying but dragged down.... I think we've already been taken down to such a pitiful level with so many inept decisions, it's hard to visualise going any lower
Posted by: Kris2, April 7, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 4
It was always going to come crashing down, surprisingly it crashed very quickly after the season began. The whole idea that such a small and unsuccessful club would attract somebody willing to invest that much money is ridiculous and it should have been obvious that it was all part of a scam. Also goes to show the trust was useless and blinded by promises of money being there.

Suppose that's the danger of a fan owned club, you need to appoint somebody to sit on the board and make decisions and people tend to have their own interests at heart. I wouldn't be surprised if vague promises of payoffs were made to their trust leadership to push voting in a certain direction.

Sven himself is a bit of an odd character in this whole tale, makes you wonder what other dodgy things he's involved in where money is laundered in football clubs.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 7, 2021, 3:53pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Kris2
It was always going to come crashing down, surprisingly it crashed very quickly after the season began. The whole idea that such a small and unsuccessful club would attract somebody willing to invest that much money is ridiculous and it should have been obvious that it was all part of a scam. Also goes to show the trust was useless and blinded by promises of money being there.

Suppose that's the danger of a fan owned club, you need to appoint somebody to sit on the board and make decisions and people tend to have their own interests at heart. I wouldn't be surprised if vague promises of payoffs were made to their trust leadership to push voting in a certain direction.

Sven himself is a bit of an odd character in this whole tale, makes you wonder what other dodgy things he's involved in where money is laundered in football clubs.

I don’t think it’s a case of naivety by their trust. It was the promise of higher level football. Greed in that sense, if not greed in the sense of brown envelopes. I believe they put it to the members first.

It’s not really an argument against supporter ownership either as plenty of clubs have ended up worse off with rich owners, making bad or dodgy decisions.

The Germans have the right model. The supporters groups cannot sell their shares. Any outside business will then only make investments in the clubs on sound grounds. No buccaneering ‘entrepreneurs’ risking it all.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 2:07pm