Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: cannylad68, April 6, 2021, 8:47am
What about a best 'on loan' XL.

For me, Dave Beasant, Andy Todd, Paterson and a striker, forgotten his name, signed by Russell Slade, from a London club, later to score against us, spring to mind.
Posted by: MNH1972, April 6, 2021, 8:58am; Reply: 1
Martin Pringle, Clive mendonca
Posted by: bax, April 6, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 2
Quoted from cannylad68

For me, Dave Beasant, Andy Todd, Paterson and a striker, forgotten his name, signed by Russell Slade, from a London club, later to score against us, spring to mind.

Steve Kabba? Luke Cornwall?
Posted by: cannylad68, April 6, 2021, 9:11am; Reply: 3
Neil Woods.

I would like to see a full XL in a full line up, if you see what I mean.
Any formation.
Posted by: pizzzza, April 6, 2021, 9:21am; Reply: 4
Quoted from cannylad68

XL ? you want the best 40 loan players? Might be a bit quicker to stick to an XI
Posted by: cannylad68, April 6, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 5
Sorry, I meant eleven.

My grammar school latin got in the way, mind you that was 62 years ago.
Posted by: friskneymariner, April 6, 2021, 9:42am; Reply: 6
David Nielsen how could anyone leave him out Will Antwi, Nathan Pond
Posted by: kevikov, April 6, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 7
Wayne Henderson. Maybe not in beasants league but an awesome loan spell to help keep us up that year
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 6, 2021, 10:24am; Reply: 8
Dean Henderson
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 6, 2021, 10:24am; Reply: 9
Who was the defender we had from a higher league that had a court case hanging over him involving women played a good half season I think possibly played for Norwich or Portsmouth?
Add him to Beasant, Todd, Pond, and Townsend, thats the back 5 sorted.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 6, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 10
Holy sh*t! This is the vaguest thread we have ever had. It's like a game - Guess the Loanee.
Posted by: pizzzza, April 6, 2021, 10:32am; Reply: 11
We all know Town's worst loan, that benign one from Fenty.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 6, 2021, 10:34am; Reply: 12
Holy sh*t! This is the vaguest thread we have ever had. It's like a game - Guess the Loanee.

I know but its really bugging me that I dont know his name, I thought he really was a quality player.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, April 6, 2021, 10:34am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Who was the defender we had from a higher league that had a court case hanging over him involving women played a good half season I think possibly played for Norwich or Portsmouth?
Add him to Beasant, Todd, Pond, and Townsend, thats the back 5 sorted.

Terrell Forbes from QPR?  
Posted by: Mallyner, April 6, 2021, 10:37am; Reply: 14

I think you might be talking about Clayton McDonald who was involved in the case with Ched Evans.

I seem to remember him scoring the winner against Scunny.  :)

Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 6, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 15
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

Terrell Forbes from QPR?  

Thats the guy excellent, thanks.
Posted by: Mariner_09, April 6, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 16
Jamie Devitt first time round, Conor Townsend for sure. Nathan Pond was excellent.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 6, 2021, 12:00pm; Reply: 17
Super Clive was on loan to begin with.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 6, 2021, 12:12pm; Reply: 18

Thats the guy excellent, thanks.

Wasn't on loan though  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, April 6, 2021, 12:33pm; Reply: 19
It's an unorthodox looking lineup on paper/screen, but this is an XI of such talent that formation is very much a fluid concept.

Forecast

Stirling
Butler

McCarthy
Heslop
Mendy
Kamara

Ameobi
Lawson
Brodie
Gomis
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, April 6, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 20
Joe Waters?
Sure he was on loan  from Leicester ....then we all put in to buy him!
Posted by: Tommy, April 6, 2021, 12:49pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from cannylad68

Matt Harrold?
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 6, 2021, 1:01pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Abdul19
It's an unorthodox looking lineup on paper/screen, but this is an XI of such talent that formation is very much a fluid concept.

Forecast

Stirling
Butler

McCarthy
Heslop
Mendy
Kamara

Ameobi
Lawson
Brodie
Gomis

Can't believe you've left Vance Warner out.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 6, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from diehardmariner

Neither can I, now!
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 6, 2021, 1:09pm; Reply: 24
Who was that striker we had on loan from Chelsea ages ago. He was the definition of useless. Mark something I think. Can't for the life of me remember his 2nd name.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 6, 2021, 1:10pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Abdul19

Forecast

Stirling
Butler

McCarthy
Heslop
Mendy
Kamara

Ameobi
Lawson
Brodie
Gomis

Fluid like diarrhea?
Posted by: Abdul19, April 6, 2021, 1:17pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin
Who was that striker we had on loan from Chelsea ages ago. He was the definition of useless. Mark something I think. Can't for the life of me remember his 2nd name.

Nicholls
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 6, 2021, 1:36pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Abdul19

Nicholls

That's the fella. He was bloody useless.
Posted by: Kris2, April 6, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin

Before he played on loan for us, Reading actually tried to sign him. His career seemed to go downhill after an uneventful loan, got released by Chelsea, had a bunch of trials and short term deals with league clubs before falling into non-league....Where he's most well remembered for several incidents of on pitch violence and spitting at people. I guess some kids can't be made into professional footballers no matter how much experience you give them. Alan Buckley always wanted Adam Buckley to be a footballer and he's most well remembered for being a thief.

Always seemed to wear a kit that was 2 sizes too big for him which gave him the appearance of a child on the pitch. Not quite as funny as Adam Campbell being a midget with a baby face but still. [img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/mar-2000-mark-nicholls-of-grimsby-town-during-the-nationwide-league-picture-id1522340[/img]
Posted by: OneLove, April 6, 2021, 2:02pm; Reply: 29
Worst strikers for me Damian Spencer, Payne
Posted by: Abdul19, April 6, 2021, 2:16pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Kris2

Before he played on loan for us, Reading actually tried to sign him. His career seemed to go downhill after an uneventful loan, got released by Chelsea, had a bunch of trials and short term deals with league clubs before falling into non-league....Where he's most well remembered for several incidents of on pitch violence and spitting at people. I guess some kids can't be made into professional footballers no matter how much experience you give them. Alan Buckley always wanted Adam Buckley to be a footballer and he's most well remembered for being a thief.

Always seemed to wear a kit that was 2 sizes too big for him which gave him the appearance of a child on the pitch. Not quite as funny as Adam Campbell being a midget with a baby face but still. [img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/mar-2000-mark-nicholls-of-grimsby-town-during-the-nationwide-league-picture-id1522340[/img]

A second tier strikeforce of Mark Nicholls and Daryl Clare? Incredible we only scored 43 goals that season!
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, April 6, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 31
Mark Nicholls didn't someone punch him off the ball Alex Rae maybe? Disappeared pretty quickly back to London after that!
Posted by: Grimal, April 6, 2021, 2:41pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Kris2

Is that Number 19  Daryl Clare ?

Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 6, 2021, 2:50pm; Reply: 33
Dave Beasant

Simon Francis
Andy Todd
Marlon Broomes
Knut Anders Fostervold

Michael Appleton
Richard Hughes
Liam Trotter
Michael Keane

David Nielsen
Steve Kabba

Subs: Wayne Henderson, David Beharall, Zhang Enhua, Harry Pell, Brandon Comley, Luke Cornwall, & Ollie Palmer.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 6, 2021, 3:25pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Kris2

I don't remember him at all! And the photo is hilarious, not very flattering.

I also don't remember us wearing that kit! What an abomination that is.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 6, 2021, 3:29pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Abdul19

A second tier strikeforce of Mark Nicholls and Daryl Clare? Incredible we only scored 43 goals that season!

With 5 from the final 15 games.  The type of statistic that leaves you little choice but to recruit Michael Jeffrey in the summer.

Surprisingly we scored the exact same amount in the following season.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 6, 2021, 3:36pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Dave Beasant

Simon Francis
Andy Todd
Marlon Broomes
Knut Anders Fostervold

Michael Appleton
Richard Hughes
Liam Trotter
Michael Keane

Davi Nielsen

Steve Kabba

Subs: Wayne Henderson, David Beharall, Zhang Enhua, Harry Pell, Brandon Comley, Luke Cornwall, & Ollie Palmer.

Think you forgot Martin Paterson Golly, surely worth a place in the team?
Posted by: barrattstandman, April 6, 2021, 3:58pm; Reply: 37
How can anyone forget JOE WATERS . A legend in his time . Short memories or more likely a lot if you weren't born then !
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 6, 2021, 4:01pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from barrattstandman
How can anyone forget JOE WATERS . A legend in his time . Short memories or more likely a lot if you weren't born then !

There's a subtle difference between short memories and memory loss.....
Posted by: Poojah, April 6, 2021, 4:07pm; Reply: 39
Mark Nicholls once started for Chelsea in the Premier League at the heart of a front three, flanked on one side by Gianluca Vialli and on the other Gianfranco Zola. If Daryl Clare was unimpressed, I wonder what those two must have made of him.

Here's a video of a 20 year old Nicholls turning a Premier League game on its head for Chelsea. What on earth happened to him between then and joining us?

[youtube]le969YzMpfk[/youtube]
Posted by: Sigone, April 6, 2021, 4:18pm; Reply: 40
Bonetti...wasnt he kinda of on loan from his management company before we all shelled out for him.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 6, 2021, 8:55pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Mark Nicholls didn't someone punch him off the ball Alex Rae maybe? Disappeared pretty quickly back to London after that!

Kevin Muscat
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 6, 2021, 9:11pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from barrattstandman

Think many have selected loan players that didn’t end up signing for town. Mendonca & Woods were both on loan before signing and I’m sure there are many more!!!
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, April 6, 2021, 10:10pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Abdul19

Kevin Muscat

Cheers,  ahh that's right thought it was Wolves
Posted by: Abdul19, April 6, 2021, 10:16pm; Reply: 44
The 'Reputation' section of Muscat's Wikipedia page is quite a read  ;D (and the Nicholls punch doesn't even make it!)
Posted by: blundellpork, April 6, 2021, 10:59pm; Reply: 45
John Oster when he came back on loan was on another level
Posted by: Kris2, April 6, 2021, 11:24pm; Reply: 46

With 5 from the final 15 games.  The type of statistic that leaves you little choice but to recruit Michael Jeffrey in the summer.

Surprisingly we scored the exact same amount in the following season.

Whenever I think of Jeffrey I just remember the friendly game I saw when he was on trial. Thought "he's rubbish, worth a look but we'll never sign him" and probably the next day he signed for us  ;D. Started that season really badly with signings, considering what they let Lawrence do with money it seems like somebody wanted to set Buckley up to fail. Strangely my only other memory of that friendly beyond being unimpressed with Jeffrey is my friend was sure he spotted Michael Barrymore in the executive seats so we spent half the game trying to decide if that was really him.
Posted by: Poojah, April 6, 2021, 11:49pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Kris2

Whenever I think of Jeffrey I just remember the friendly game I saw when he was on trial. Thought "he's rubbish, worth a look but we'll never sign him" and probably the next day he signed for us  ;D. Started that season really badly with signings, considering what they let Lawrence do with money it seems like somebody wanted to set Buckley up to fail. Strangely my only other memory of that friendly beyond being unimpressed with Jeffrey is my friend was sure he spotted Michael Barrymore in the executive seats so we spent half the game trying to decide if that was really him.

Unless I’m mistaken, our two (TWO) summer signings that year were Michael Jeffrey and Paul Raven. Twenty years on it’s a different era of course, but even then that was a pretty catastrophic pre-season for a side competing a level below the Premiership / Premier League.

This is not in anyway intended as a defence of JF by the way, whom I attribute the bulk of our current plight to, but this was pre-ITV Digital - two decades of ill thought out penny pinching have killed this club.
Posted by: lee65, April 7, 2021, 12:23am; Reply: 48

Or Mikel Antoine Curier (think he was on loan?)
Posted by: cannylad68, April 7, 2021, 7:52am; Reply: 49
Vance Warner.

The only player I've seen who headed the ball 2" from the ground.

Indeed both Joe and Ivanho were on loan originally.

In fact the supporters started fund raising for both of them, to get Grimsby Town to sign them.
I think I may have a Bonetti shirt somewhere.

Posted by: Bristol Mariner, April 7, 2021, 8:10am; Reply: 50
Harry Pell? Joking before I get shot
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, April 7, 2021, 10:28am; Reply: 51
Quoted from cannylad68
Vance Warner.

The only player I've seen who headed the ball 2" from the ground.

Indeed both Joe and Ivanho were on loan originally.

In fact the supporters started fund raising for both of them, to get Grimsby Town to sign them.
I think I may have a Bonetti shirt somewhere.

I know local runner Brian Jones who founded Cleethorpes AC did a sponsored run from Leicester to Cleethorpes to help raise the funds needed to sign Joe Waters, once it became known that the club couldn't afford the transfer fee.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 7, 2021, 10:39am; Reply: 52
Quoted from lee65

Or Mikel Antoine Curier (think he was on loan?)

Think he was a short term contract (we were the 6th club he played for that season!)
Posted by: friskneymariner, April 7, 2021, 3:49pm; Reply: 53
Big difference between always remember and never forget.
Posted by: lee65, April 7, 2021, 3:57pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Abdul19

Think he was a short term contract (we were the 6th club he played for that season!)

Thank you Abdul, I can still vividly picture him actually getting away on the byeline and pulling the ball back for one of the goals in the 4-4 away game at Chesterfield  :)
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 7, 2021, 5:20pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from lee65

Thank you Abdul, I can still vividly picture him actually getting away on the byeline and pulling the ball back for one of the goals in the 4-4 away game at Chesterfield  :)

I can vividly recall him playing for Notts Co against us at Meadow Lane and we all thought he was sh*t. He signed for us not long after.

Reputedly the Principle Funder introduced him to the dressing room as "this is the lad that will keep us up".
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 7, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 56
What about Connor Townsend?  Currently playing in the Prem.
Posted by: nightrider, April 7, 2021, 6:19pm; Reply: 57
Mark Flatts. Did nothing
Alan Miller. Not impressed. Somehow had a good career
Okorie. Think we might have signed him? Strange if we did. What was he like? Decent?
Mendonca. Some big mistakes by other clubs led to him arriving at BP. When I was a 10yr old, mendonca was a superstar. Nothings changed
Nigel jemson. Never actually going to sign but enjoyed watching him. Too good for us at the time
Luke Cornwall. Decent player in a struggling team. Or at least that's how I remember it
Marlon Broomes. How did we sign him?
Steve kabba. Somehow you need to sign players like kabba given the chance
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:20am