Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, March 8, 2021, 10:48am
Are we making the most of having 5 subs? We've only used all 5 in one of the last 8 games. Quite often we've ended better than we've started with the subs we have brought on, but could we be doing more, especially with the large squad we have?

Southend     3
Scunthorpe     5
Stevenage     3
Newport     2
Crawley     4
Harrogate     3
Leyton Orient     3
Forest Green     3
Posted by: toontown, March 8, 2021, 10:53am; Reply: 1
Quoted from GrimRob
Are we making the most of having 5 subs? We've only used all 5 in one of the last 8 games. Quite often we've ended better than we've started with the subs we have brought on, but could we be doing more, especially with the large squad we have?

Southend     3
Scunthorpe     5
Stevenage     3
Newport     2
Crawley     4
Harrogate     3
Leyton Orient     3
Forest Green     3

Hurst has always been reluctant to use subs. The 5 sub rule puts him at an even greater disadvantage in terms of changing games compared to other managers than normal
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 8, 2021, 10:54am; Reply: 2
Quoted from GrimRob

Southend     3
Scunthorpe     5
Stevenage     3
Newport     2
Crawley     4
Harrogate     3
Leyton Orient     3
Forest Green     3

I guess it would be pretty daft to use all 5 given we have a manager who only makes subs with 15 mins left every week.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 8, 2021, 11:07am; Reply: 3
Useful (maybe) to see the stats for the average number of subs used for other Div 2 teams.  I do have the feeling that other teams use subs more effectively.  Why does this not surprise me?
Posted by: Son of Cod, March 8, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 4
Would be interesting to see a breakdown of how effective making 5 subs has been since the introduction of it. Not just for Town, but across all leagues. There's an argument to suggest making 5 subs within a short space of time would disrupt the flow of your team and put you at risk of performing worse.
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 8, 2021, 11:44am; Reply: 5
When you're chasing games, are we often are, I struggle to think of reasons as to why you shouldn't use all your attacking options.

I get that we're not exactly blessed with quality throughout the squad, but not going for it and effectively defending a 2-1 defeat is frustrating as hell.   How many times have we turned the game around by just making standard changes?

Might as well throw everything at it including the kitchen sink and maybe, just maybe, sneak something back from losing positions every now and then.
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 8, 2021, 11:45am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Son of Cod
Would be interesting to see a breakdown of how effective making 5 subs has been since the introduction of it. Not just for Town, but across all leagues. There's an argument to suggest making 5 subs within a short space of time would disrupt the flow of your team and put you at risk of performing worse.

Christ, dread to think what that would look like...
Posted by: DB, March 8, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Son of Cod

Their wasn't a performance or flow against Orient, Harrogate or Crawley any anything would have improved a dire situation
Posted by: Brazilnut, March 8, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from pontoonlew

I guess it would be pretty daft to use all 5 given we have a manager who only makes subs with 15 mins left every week.

at least we could get their subs off them
Posted by: moosey_club, March 8, 2021, 5:25pm; Reply: 9
Ollie didnt seem reluctant to chuck a few subs on .......and from memory the more made the more it disrupted us.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 8, 2021, 7:27pm; Reply: 10
We should use 5 subs every game. With 16 players on the pitch we might stand a chance. Mind you, knowing our luck they would probably all get in each others way.
Posted by: Azimuth, March 8, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 11
5 subs, I suspect even with 5 extra players from our squad on the pitch we might still struggle to get the selection right.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:54pm