Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Brazilnut, March 8, 2021, 9:50am
Thought I would start a thread which with luck wont descend into posters attacking each other  or name calling .

Have you ever been caught on camera and seen on TV while in the process of following /supporting Town

Mine was as a 11yr old back in 1976 with a freshly broken arm I was a ball boy (who then sat on a bench near the dug out and was just required to go retrieve balls if they was hit over the stands and out the ground ).....Town was playing Crystal Palace at home and it was televised on the Sunday highlights program and  a number of times as play was around the center of the pitch you could see in the back ground a very fresh faced ball boy waving his arm about in plaster ......if I remember correctly Town lost the match 1-2 with palace scoring in the 1st and 90th minute and town scoring in the 45th minute
Posted by: cannylad68, March 8, 2021, 10:13am; Reply: 1
Different sport.
My wife and I spent a few days with friends in Leeds, to coincide with the test match.
My friend and I had front row seats.
We were watching the highlights at night, when a boundary ball came our way. Right in front of the picture was my friend with an empty seat next to him.
With that my wife said 'where were you'.
If she had thought first before balling me out, she would have realised, I was getting the beers in.

FYI Ilkley.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, March 8, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 2
Was that the arm I broke for you

IIRC Peter Taylor scored both Palace goals

The Game at Palace a couple of years ago, apparently my mate and I were featured heavily in the TV coverage as we were on the front row.

I used to be in St John, so was regularly seen around the perimeter or carrying someone off

Also a few years ago my wife and I were seen on Mastermind semi finals sat behind John Humphreys
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 8, 2021, 10:48am; Reply: 3
Yes in 1992 (I think) when Town were at Plymouth, we won 2.1, I was in the Royal Navy at the time (based in Plymouth) and the highlights were on the local tv station later, it zoomed in on the mariners fans and there I was haha
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 8, 2021, 11:31am; Reply: 4
Back in our Division One days we played Luton at home on TV. I used to sit in the Main Stand right behind the old directors box and at the end.

Mike Newell was Luton manager and stood next to me. The camera zoomed in on him and I was live on Sky Sports.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 8, 2021, 12:10pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Brazilnut
Thought I would start a thread which with luck wont descend into posters attacking each other  or name calling .

Have you ever been caught on camera and seen on TV while in the process of following /supporting Town

Mine was as a 11yr old back in 1976 with a freshly broken arm I was a ball boy (who then sat on a bench near the dug out and was just required to go retrieve balls if they was hit over the stands and out the ground ).....Town was playing Crystal Palace at home and it was televised on the Sunday highlights program and  a number of times as play was around the center of the pitch you could see in the back ground a very fresh faced ball boy waving his arm about in plaster ......if I remember correctly Town lost the match 1-2 with palace scoring in the 1st and 90th minute and town scoring in the 45th minute

That's a coincidence. I was on TV in that very same game.  I was 11 at the time too and was caught on camera with my best mate waving like mad at the camera as Crystal Palace took a corner at The Pontoon End. Been on TV quite a few times in the crowd over the years at various games on highlights and live games.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 8, 2021, 12:13pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Yes in 1992 (I think) when Town were at Plymouth, we won 2.1, I was in the Royal Navy at the time (based in Plymouth) and the highlights were on the local tv station later, it zoomed in on the mariners fans and there I was haha

Yeah, I was at that game too. drunk it down with rain most of the game and the 100 or so Town fans were doing the conga around the away end signing "Singing In The Rain". I think that was the game when Super Clive scored his first ever goal for us and there was a rare goal for Mark Lever that night. Happy days.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 8, 2021, 12:54pm; Reply: 7
My wife and I was behind the goal away to Sheffield Wednesday in the 80's.

When we got home and watched the highlights on TV  we could see ourselves several times .
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, March 8, 2021, 2:01pm; Reply: 8
does crimewatch count?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 8, 2021, 2:10pm; Reply: 9
does crimewatch count?

Why, has Holloway been in TV recently??🤔
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, March 8, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 10
Reading v Town 1996.  I'm at the 33 second mark in jeans and white trainers running back up the stairs.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyRJQRJtto&ab_channel=GrimsbyTownclassicvideos[/url]
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 8, 2021, 4:01pm; Reply: 11
I remember being caught on TV cameras one time when we were away at Cambridge standing all forlorn on the terraces

It was winter time in the early 90s and I had a bright red car coat ( Audi colours ) and there was just a sparse scattering on what was quite a tacky an open end at the time ( not a covered stand like it is now )

We always seemed to play them at that time of year at their place ( though I also remember a couple that weren't - a couple of heavy defeats; last day of the 80-81 season and first game of the season under AB in '88 )
Posted by: TAGG, March 8, 2021, 4:17pm; Reply: 12
On the pitch V ÷/×£_  
V c¥£=÷×/_€÷+€
Posted by: RichMariner, March 8, 2021, 4:38pm; Reply: 13
Apparently the Sky Sports News camera picked me out, post-match, staring into space, alone, while stood in the pontoon, after Town conceded that late goal to Northampton in 05/06 and we were denied automatic promotion.

Never seen it back. I was at uni back then and had a few mates text me to say they'd seen me on TV while they were supping in the student bar.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, March 8, 2021, 4:54pm; Reply: 14
Many times I have been on camera but never while supporting Town. I worked as a Steward, groundstaff, Reserves Steward, Senior Steward in the Pontoon and as the CCTV operator. At one point I was second in command within the ground with the ability to order the Police around. Oh the memories
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 8, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 15
I used to be a sales rep in Nottinghamshire.

When there were Test matches at Trent Bridge you could get in for free after about 3 o'clock if you asked the stewards nicely and it helped if you were in a suit and looked well behaved. I would tear round in the morning seeing my customers and make sure I was at the ground for 3ish and almost always got in for a couple of hours or more.

I got in one afternoon but the ground was still busy and so I got a seat right on the boundary. Mike Atherton leaned into one and stroked it beautifully towards me like an arrow.

I started clapping as it made it's way to the boundary before thinking 'bloody hell, I'm still officially at work and this is live on TV!'

As the ball hits the boundary (virtually at my feet) there is a shot of everyone in the stand clapping and appreciating  a lovely shot except the bloke closest to the ball who is obscured by/reading the paper and taking no notice of the cricket at all.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 8, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 16
Many times I have been on camera but never while supporting Town. I worked as a Steward, groundstaff, Reserves Steward, Senior Steward in the Pontoon and as the CCTV operator. At one point I was second in command within the ground with the ability to order the Police around. Oh the memories

We should rename you ‘Alan Rutters Jackboot’ 😁
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 8, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 17
Eastleigh away in 2015-16. My son’s mate spotted him on the highlights after we scored. “Who’s that idiot next to you going mad?”
Posted by: DB, March 8, 2021, 5:42pm; Reply: 18

What went wrong, abuse of power or bullying!
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 8, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 19
Never for town but made it onto TV during the 2016 euros. On the front row at stade de France with the Iceland fans against Austria and they zoomed in on us after the last minute goal. It wasn’t on British tv but my Icelandic mate found it on YouTube, so god knows which country it was broadcast in.
Posted by: DB, March 8, 2021, 5:47pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mariner93er
Never for town but made it onto TV during the 2016 euros. On the front row at stade de France with the Iceland fans against Austria and they zoomed in on us after the last minute goal. It wasn’t on British tv but my Icelandic mate found it on YouTube, so god knows which country it was broadcast in.

Does Interpol know !
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 8, 2021, 6:16pm; Reply: 21
Twice, once at Accrington, when Crofty got sent off, once at Stevenage last season or the season before
Posted by: malkamalka, March 8, 2021, 6:30pm; Reply: 22
Got caught on Oz TV at Adelaide Oval bearing a huge GTFC banner made from a double bed sheet.
Posted by: Davec, March 8, 2021, 6:36pm; Reply: 23
Several times at Grimsby games, Bristol Rovers away in the conference, Braintree away in the Play off semi final and then I was again on TV at the play off final V FGR, been several other occasions also.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, March 8, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We should rename you ‘Alan Rutters Jackboot’ 😁

He was there for a few seasons when I was there when he was still in the Police Force
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, March 8, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from DB

What went wrong, abuse of power or bullying!

Neither. I got a full time job and left the club completely
Posted by: RexFannies, March 8, 2021, 6:54pm; Reply: 26
Does Crimewatch count?
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 8, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez
Reading v Town 1996.  I'm at the 33 second mark in jeans and white trainers running back up the stairs.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyRJQRJtto&ab_channel=GrimsbyTownclassicvideos[/url]

I would have been just off camera to the right as you look at the goal. :-/

A lot better day than was it Boxing Day when it pithed it down?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 8, 2021, 7:18pm; Reply: 28
A few come to mind

Town v Barnsley (Boxing Day I think 4-1 win) the second goal just before half time you can see two programme sellers walking through the osmond as the ball goes In 😁😁😁

Town away at Peterborough (won 2-1) after groves scores a screamer you can see me and lobsterpot celebrating on the fencing after

Town at home v Ipswich  (won 3-1) mendonca got a hattrick after being out injured but when Ipswich get a consolation in front of the pontoon, you can see myself and lobsterpot giving it some ironic celebrations
Posted by: moosey_club, March 8, 2021, 7:30pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from arryarryarry

A lot better day than was it Boxing Day when it pithed it downrley?

Haha Trevor Morley, can remember giving him sh1tloads of abuse humorous banter when he was at BP with West Ham, just after his domestic where his Mrs reportedly attacked him with a knife after he was supposedly shagging a teammate...
....ahhhh the good old days.

Posted by: DB, March 8, 2021, 7:36pm; Reply: 30

Neither. I got a full time job and left the club completely

Good for you
Posted by: jaygy, March 8, 2021, 8:08pm; Reply: 31
Fulham playoff game in 98, when the goal went in you could see a 12 year old me clambering to get over the hoardings to celebrate whilst my dad was pulling me back over.....never did make it onto the pitch he was just too strong 🤣
Posted by: GYinScuntland, March 8, 2021, 9:10pm; Reply: 32

Prefect at school too?
Posted by: supertown, March 8, 2021, 9:48pm; Reply: 33

Course you did ! I worked in that environment for many years and the Police was a completely separate ‘control unit’ to the civilian/ ground safety one, albeit next to each other.  They did not get ‘ordered around’ by a second in command steward.
Posted by: Hants.Mariner, March 8, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 34
1989 I think a Friday night (and my birthday) when we won 2-0 in Southend we spotted ourselves in the corner on tv the next day.

And the Reading FA Cup replay when Kevin Jobling scored the winner I was down the front doing a little jig on camera 🤦
Posted by: aldi_01, March 9, 2021, 6:07am; Reply: 35
As a child I, along with 7 other town fans appeared on Socceram in 1998, day before first Wembley. At the time we were the first set of town fans they ever had on. I’ve a VHS of it somewhere but annoyingly it isn’t on YouTube.

I’ve been in the telewag a few times whilst being at town games and I was apparently spotted escaping from my seat at the end of the Spurs game in 2005, much to the embarrassment of my then girlfriend who was watching the game with me at BP, and all her mates sending her messages asking if the lad in the orange coat running full tilt was me...mocking her.

There’s a couple of others I’ve been drawn too. You can also hear me losing my excrement at Northampton away when that weird ground hopper bloke was there...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 9, 2021, 1:52pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from moosey_club

Haha Trevor Morley, can remember giving him sh1tloads of abuse humorous banter when he was at BP with West Ham, just after his domestic where his Mrs reportedly attacked him with a knife after he was supposedly shagging a teammate...
....ahhhh the good old days.

I remember the chant of "there's only one bash the Bishop" at our game at Upton Park around then. Bishop being the aforementioned team mate.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 9, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from arryarryarry

A lot better day than was it Boxing Day when it pithed it down?

If it's the one I'm thinking of in the early 90s at Elm Park, I took a mate there to his one and only Town game. He was off work after that with pneumonia.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:36pm