Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 6, 2021, 4:58pm

Hurst's record since he came back.

Simply not good enough.

Where do we go from here and I was glad when he came back?
Posted by: grimps, March 6, 2021, 5:01pm; Reply: 1
Is it just me or does it feel less painful the more this goes on .
You sort of get used playing crap and losing every week
Posted by: Humbercod, March 6, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 2
We did look better today in parts to be honest but that was only because cuppy was pressured into playing a 442, we’ve been here before how come so many on here couldn’t see it😫
Posted by: sapper mariner, March 6, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 3
Tough question.

Do we get rid of hurst and replace him with manager x. But who would want to board a sinking ship?

As for the players they are not helping themselves in an uncertain job market.

Suppose it comes down to the new owners and there vision/plans for the club
Posted by: TAGG, March 6, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 4
I never wanted him back but when he did I said I would support him whatever.
I really don't know now.
We must be the only side ever to have two different managers  build two different relegation teams in the same season.
Its so frustrating, maddening and emotional watching the team we all love being in such a sorry state  :B :B :B
Posted by: kafunanapar140909, March 6, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 5
Oh he has to stay for me. Might not be a popular opinion in the aftermath of (another) defeat, but I'm fully expecting 2021/22 to be Operation Reset at GTFC, with new owners and a brand new squad. Assuming that'll be in the National League, I'd be happy for Hurst to be given the chance to rebuild.
Posted by: Mariner_501, March 6, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 6
Needs to go
Posted by: Garth, March 6, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 7
Plenty of endeavour, but very little skill or leadership, let's accept the fact we are only playing for pride now, and losing that
Posted by: Humbercod, March 6, 2021, 5:08pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
Oh he has to stay for me. Might not be a popular opinion in the aftermath of (another) defeat, but I'm fully expecting 2021/22 to be Operation Reset at GTFC, with new owners and a brand new squad. Assuming that'll be in the National League, I'd be happy for Hurst to be given the chance to rebuild.

Yeah great call only took him 6 years last time keep clapping for him.
Posted by: TAGG, March 6, 2021, 5:13pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from kafunanapar140909

When we go down I don't want Hurst anywhere near the club.

It took 6 years of boring, turgid and most of the time crap football. No way I want that back.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 6, 2021, 5:13pm; Reply: 10
For context, both Mike Newell and Neil Woods picked up 7 points from their first 10 games.
Posted by: grimps, March 6, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 11
Other teams make changes as soon as they concede , we waited until the 75th minute .
Losing 2-1 or 5-1 doesn’t make a difference in our position with our goal difference .
I never liked Hurst when we was none league and thought he was given too much time.
I wouldn’t have the patience to wait six years for a promotion if we’re out the league again
Posted by: RonMariner, March 6, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 12
5 points adrift of safety with a massively worse goal diff and no games in hand. So in reality a six point gap.

15 games to go. Anyone serious think we will win 8 of those 15?

Afraid I don't. Yet another out of form team end their bad run against us today.

Before today Newport had won only 2 of their previous 16 games. Both against us.

Stevenage, first away win in a year against us.

Scunthorpe, Port Vale, Harrogate, Orient, all on bad runs until they played us.

I could go on, but whats the point. Everywhere you look the evidence points to the same outcome.

We are going down.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 6, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 13
New managers can work wonders. Barnsley 6 wins on the bounce.  From struggling to play-offs.

Burton further adrift than us.  Now 6 points clear of  bottom place and out of the bottom 4.

Hurst at Shrewsbury.

Grimsby - different team, same or worse results.  With hindsight, insanity to expect any difference.
Posted by: jaygy, March 6, 2021, 5:18pm; Reply: 14
For once I agree with Tagg, Hurst played some very boring football in the national league and just managed to scrape us over the line. Many saying this summer will be a big reset for the club so we need to freshen everything up including looking forward manager wise and not backwards yet again
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 6, 2021, 5:18pm; Reply: 15
Unfortunately our fans celebrated him being back despite it being absolutely SHITE for the majority of his time here. Everyone forgot that, you’re being reminded of it now.

Holloway was bad, Hurst is worse and he’s taking us down. Bringing Bunney on when Adams was on the bench was a flipping disgraceful decision. I would say Hurst out but what’s the point? Let’s keep him and have 6 years of his shite in Non League, most of the happy clappers absolutely deserve that fate.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 6, 2021, 5:19pm; Reply: 16
When Paul first came back my initial thought was he’s a safe pair of hands and would keep us safe and that he’s the best we could hope for after Holloway leaving, I wasn’t really keen to have him back if I’m honest but I did think he’d steady the ship,  his record is not good enough, he signed these players so the responsibility lies with him.
Posted by: Badger57, March 6, 2021, 5:25pm; Reply: 17
I hated Hurst when he was here last time and eventually stopped going to matches until he left.
However, I was willing to accept that he was probably our best chance to avoid relegation this season. You know, I thought he might have learned a lesson or two and become a little more adventurous since he left. Or, at the very least, steady the ship. But no. Same old Hurst and the same old boring, turgid excrement but this time without a glimmer of hope. He can't fornicate off quickly enough again for me.
And I think Fenty should re-evaluate his asking price because the club just isn't worth what he wants.
Posted by: oochiad, March 6, 2021, 5:35pm; Reply: 18
It’s not as if we can make our feelings known as we can’t attend. The whole season is just playing out and slipping away without us, absolutely nothing we can do.....
Posted by: Yoda, March 6, 2021, 5:40pm; Reply: 19
Hursts career is over he dined out on a ne season at shrewsbury for ages.

He couldn’t win the league with Amond and Boggle up front we finished fourth.

ANY other manager would of won the league by 20 points.
Posted by: Stadium, March 6, 2021, 5:49pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Badger57
I hated Hurst when he was here last time and eventually stopped going to matches until he left.
However, I was willing to accept that he was probably our best chance to avoid relegation this season. You know, I thought he might have learned a lesson or two and become a little more adventurous since he left. Or, at the very least, steady the ship. But no. Same old Hurst and the same old boring, turgid excrement but this time without a glimmer of hope. He can't fornicate off quickly enough again for me.
And I think Fenty should re-evaluate his asking price because the club just isn't worth what he wants.

Interesting.
Hating a manager?
So you didnt attend at all until he left after managing to propel the club back into the football league?
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 6, 2021, 5:54pm; Reply: 21
Negative boring football, always playing for a 1 nil win. Wasn't happy on his return can actually remember letting out an audible groan when I read it.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, ignored the 1st few results as he brought players in and cleared some out but I can't say we've moved forward and can't see us moving forward.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 6, 2021, 6:17pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from pontoonlew
Unfortunately our fans celebrated him being back despite it being absolutely SHITE for the majority of his time here. Everyone forgot that, you’re being reminded of it now.

Holloway was bad, Hurst is worse and he’s taking us down. Bringing Bunney on when Adams was on the bench was a flipping disgraceful decision. I would say Hurst out but what’s the point? Let’s keep him and have 6 years of his shite in Non League, most of the happy clappers absolutely deserve that fate.

Your posts always seem to smack of holier than thou and you put yourself aside from "our fans" as if you know everything and no-one else knows anything. Phrases like "our fans celebrated" and "you're being reminded now" with the best of the bunch being "the happy clappers absolutely deserve that fate".

Most of your posts have the same knowing tone and it's fooking annoying.

The football may have been sh1te under Hurst, but the results were consistent, so he seemed the right fit. It's not worked and it's bad enough that peoples hopes are being dashed, without the "I told you so" posters being all smug about it.

Posted by: GrimRob, March 6, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 23
The results have started to become irrelevant so changing the manager now is a bit pointless. He might as well be given the chance to work with the squad he's got for the remaining weeks and make a decision then.
Posted by: psgmariner, March 6, 2021, 6:31pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from GrimRob
The results have started to become irrelevant so changing the manager now is a bit pointless. He might as well be given the chance to work with the squad he's got for the remaining weeks and make a decision then.

Get a competent manager in now and they would have valuable time to assess the squad. It would be lovely if all those pathetic players left in the summer but unfortunately that’s not realistic so someone other than Hurst deciding who are the least useless would be a massive positive.

We appointed the wrong man.

We waited too long to sack him and stay up.

Please god act now so we start next season with half a chance.
Posted by: Humbercod, March 6, 2021, 6:32pm; Reply: 25
What!! He couldn’t even muster the team to have a shot on target in such a critical game without a gift from the opposition. Sat there like a sack of spuds towards the end as his team gave up.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 6, 2021, 6:37pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Humbercod
What!! He couldn’t even muster the team to have a shot on target in such a critical game without a gift from the opposition. Sat there like a sack of spuds towards the end as his team gave up.

Honestly, just listened to his post match interview and he sounds beaten up.
I cannot and will not accept 1 excrement on target whilst we are playing at home!..in not having the excuse of "their top of the league for a reason" after Southend put 3 past them..
Sorry but he has to go, with him in charge we won't even go down fighting, we'll just wimper off into non league...again!!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 6, 2021, 6:54pm; Reply: 27
Talking to a Liverpool fan.  He said that buying and not trusting/ playing young CBs was one main problem.  Putting key midfielders there, in unfamiliar roles, was another critical error.  Weakening the strong midfield was the final grave mistake.  No protection for the defence.

Town end up with same outcomes through different routes.  Our midfield do not create, do not support the forwards, do not score goals and do not provide cover to the CBs. Not much leadership and not always working 100%.

Apart from that they are ok.
Posted by: DB, March 6, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 28
I have 3 questions about Hurst's appointment.
Who appointed him, Fenty, the consortium or both?
Was the job advertised
Were their any other applicants, or managers interested.
Posted by: Plankton, March 6, 2021, 7:19pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from ginnywings

Your posts always seem to smack of holier than thou and you put yourself aside from "our fans" as if you know everything and no-one else knows anything. Phrases like "our fans celebrated" and "you're being reminded now" with the best of the bunch being "the happy clappers absolutely deserve that fate".

The football may have been sh1te under Hurst, but the results were consistent, so he seemed the right fit. It's not worked and it's bad enough that peoples hopes are being dashed, without the "I told you so" posters being all smug about it.

With respect, I am not sure the defence you're going with holds water. The fit wasn't right because of those reasons and the only way it worked before was because we was in a lower league with a much better side.
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 6, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings

Aye, and the posts 6 months before my own smack of ‘holier than thou’ and it’s absolutely infuriating to see those same people changing their minds after it was staring them in the face before. So many fans opinions are snuffed as negative and they turn out to be correct time & time again.

On top of that, the football (and tactics) were shite under Hurst and cost us promotion for years, now it’s costing us relegation, it’s playing out EXACTLY the same but with much more dire consequences. It wasn’t hard to see coming, you just needed to take off the Rose tinted specs for a second.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 6, 2021, 10:25pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from pontoonlew

Aye, and the posts 6 months before my own smack of ‘holier than thou’ and it’s absolutely infuriating to see those same people changing their minds after it was staring them in the face before. So many fans opinions are snuffed as negative and they turn out to be correct time & time again.

On top of that, the football (and tactics) were shite under Hurst and cost us promotion for years, now it’s costing us relegation, it’s playing out EXACTLY the same but with much more dire consequences. It wasn’t hard to see coming, you just needed to take off the Rose tinted specs for a second.

But you are missing the point. Fans opinions don't matter; fans opinions don't win or lose games. Someone has to make a decision about who to appoint when we need a new manager and there was Hurst with a track record at the club for winning more than he loses; with a track record of saving a club in similar circumstances. Someone who could step in and hit the ground running without the need for the getting to know you bit.

You can shout from the rooftops how you are cleverer than the "rose tinted" fans and you knew EXACTLY what would happen, only you didn't know, you had an opinion and one which seems to be holding sway at the moment, but you don't have to be so fooking triumphant about it.

It matters not, what opinion fans had 6 months ago, yet you find it "infuriating when it was staring them in the face". Firstly, it wasn't staring everyone in the face, because nobody knows for sure what's going to happen and secondly we cannot do anything about it anyway. It's others who make the decisions and we as fans have to hope the right ones are made. Saying " I told you so" is just wasted breath.

Anyway, it's just fooking footy at the end of the day. People are dying in droves.
Posted by: Zmariner, March 6, 2021, 11:51pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings

But you are missing the point. Fans opinions don't matter; fans opinions don't win or lose games. Someone has to make a decision about who to appoint when we need a new manager and there was Hurst with a track record at the club for winning more than he loses; with a track record of saving a club in similar circumstances. Someone who could step in and hit the ground running without the need for the getting to know you bit.

You can shout from the rooftops how you are cleverer than the "rose tinted" fans and you knew EXACTLY what would happen, only you didn't know, you had an opinion and one which seems to be holding sway at the moment, but you don't have to be so fooking triumphant about it.

It matters not, what opinion fans had 6 months ago, yet you find it "infuriating when it was staring them in the face". Firstly, it wasn't staring everyone in the face, because nobody knows for sure what's going to happen and secondly we cannot do anything about it anyway. It's others who make the decisions and we as fans have to hope the right ones are made. Saying " I told you so" is just wasted breath.

Anyway, it's just fooking footy at the end of the day. People are dying in droves.

Absolutely agreed with all of this and especially the last bit. We are all town nuts But there has to be some perspective here. I honestly think Hurst is trying his best, equally I completely agree that he is doing an abysmal job in a results business. I would definitely keep him till the end of the season. If the form and the performances continue in the same vein he will have to go that is clear and an already alienated fan base will desert in even greater numbers
Watching us lose at home it’s like water off a ducks back to me now, I am absolutely accustomed to pitiful performances and Failure but this is failure that I cannot control and therefore I have absolutely no responsibility for it and this is the point. In an earlier thread somebody said That we have an emotional attachment to something that we have no control over. The point is that this team that we are attached to is absolutely useless but we did not create it And are not responsible for it
utm
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 7, 2021, 9:58am; Reply: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

Take your point, it’s all part of the frustration at the current situation and watching history repeat itself in more ways than one (relegation but watching Hurst make the same mistakes that caused the divide in opinion last time). I’ve no doubt that the fans aren’t the ones who need the frustration directed at, unfortunately there’s nowhere else to vent at the moment. A fact Hurst and the players ought to be delighted at.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 7, 2021, 11:11am; Reply: 34
I'm no fan of PH and am as p1ssed off as anyone watching us desperately trying to function like a proper football team, without success.

I thought he would have had us picking a few points by now but it seems beyond us at the moment.  :-/
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 7, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Zmariner

Absolutely agreed with all of this and especially the last bit. We are all town nuts But there has to be some perspective here. I honestly think Hurst is trying his best, equally I completely agree that he is doing an abysmal job in a results business. I would definitely keep him till the end of the season. If the form and the performances continue in the same vein he will have to go that is clear and an already alienated fan base will desert in even greater numbers
Watching us lose at home it’s like water off a ducks back to me now, I am absolutely accustomed to pitiful performances and Failure but this is failure that I cannot control and therefore I have absolutely no responsibility for it and this is the point. In an earlier thread somebody said That we have an emotional attachment to something that we have no control over. The point is that this team that we are attached to is absolutely useless but we did not create it And are not responsible for it
utm

I don't understand why you would want Hurst to stay yet get rid at the end of the season if we continue being shite. Surely it would be best if a new manager came in so he could assess the current shower and also if accepting we are going down, be looking for players to build a squad that will hopefully challenge for promotion at the first attempt otherwise giving any new manager a much shorter time to do that.

Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 1:06am