Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: HerveJosse, March 4, 2021, 9:27pm
Welcome . A worrying feature for me is that within the huge number of players we have signed this season we have signed a few who are clearly good players who start well and then four or five games later look poor. Examples are Windsor under Holloway and Matete and Adams under Hurst. This would suggest that whatever the underlying problems are within the club they haven’t been sold by a change of manager.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 4, 2021, 9:33pm; Reply: 1

More a case of bad players don't become good.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 4, 2021, 10:12pm; Reply: 2
Ask Klopp. 5 home defeats on the bounce.  
Posted by: bobbyturtle, March 4, 2021, 10:15pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

ha
Posted by: ginnywings, March 4, 2021, 10:15pm; Reply: 4
I think this club sucks the life out of players. Been happening for years.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 4, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

The first Liverpool team to lose five consecutive home games at Anfield in their history.

And over ten hours without scoring a goal in open play, sign them up.
Posted by: Bigdog, March 4, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from ginnywings
I think this club sucks the life out of players. Been happening for years.

Don't think the facilities at BP or Cheapside help in lifting spirits tbh.. bad runs turn into miserable slogs etc
Posted by: ginnywings, March 4, 2021, 10:29pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Bigdog

Don't think the facilities at BP or Cheapside help in lifting spirits tbh.. bad runs turn into slogs etc

Yep, the surroundings and facilities are dismal. It didn't matter so much in the past when most grounds were old and dilapidated but players expect better now.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 4, 2021, 10:57pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from HerveJosse
Welcome . A worrying feature for me is that within the huge number of players we have signed this season we have signed a few who are clearly good players who start well and then four or five games later look poor. Examples are Windsor under Holloway and Matete and Adams under Hurst. This would suggest that whatever the underlying problems are within the club they haven’t been sold by a change of manager.

Sadly we have signed more poor players than good so they are probably dragged down to the their level.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 4, 2021, 11:26pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from promotion plaice

The first Liverpool team to lose five consecutive home games at Anfield in their history.

And over ten hours without scoring a goal in open play, sign them up.

It's incredible.

Who would have thought this would happen at the end of last season?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 5, 2021, 9:21am; Reply: 10
Quoted from RonMariner

It's incredible.

Who would have thought this would happen at the end of last season?

And he took Salah off when they were 1 down........it is a joy to watch.
Posted by: livosnose, March 5, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 11
Quoted from HerveJosse

Motivation ? Desire ? Sean Scanell still thinks he’s at Palace according to his Instagram account . The glory days as opposed to not getting a game at a team bottom of the league !
Posted by: nightrider, March 5, 2021, 11:17am; Reply: 12
Quoted from livosnose

Motivation ? Desire ? Sean Scanell still thinks he’s at Palace according to his Instagram account . The glory days as opposed to not getting a game at a team bottom of the league !

Good question this.
I think you've hit the nail on the head livo.
People always going on about how it's hard to attract players to grimsby
It probably is harder unless they're from the area. But give them the best contract and they'll come, as we've seen with some of Holloway signings
It doesn't mean they want to be here though does it!!
I'm sure lots of players we've had have gone through the motions until their contracts are up or they're paid off

Mind you,  Sean scannell has not long turned 30 - his career as a professional footballer seems to be over? Well over
Posted by: Rick12, March 5, 2021, 11:34am; Reply: 13
Why do good players become bad?.

I think certain players need to feel loved for them to do well. I think Fernando Torres summed it up before he signed for  Liverpool in a documentary on Amazon prime . Said he felt the club was like one big family and knew he would do for well for them which he did. At Chelsea different aura about the place. Didnt have the history of Liverpool and the quick riches  of Roman Abramovich further added to that. The environment didn't suit Torres when he went to the blues and his form dipped.
Posted by: Ruston AT, March 5, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 14
Quoted from ginnywings

Yep, the surroundings and facilities are dismal. It didn't matter so much in the past when most grounds were old and dilapidated but players expect better now.

"Expect better " you say, with the greatest respect if these players we have recruited were any good they wouldn't be here.          January transfer window is notorious for clubs to off load players they think don't suit the relevant team they play for.

All we can hope for is that PH gets a lot more effort  out of what we've got.
Posted by: Kris2, March 5, 2021, 12:09pm; Reply: 15
I'm sure it's a combination of many factors. We've all had jobs we don't quite look forward to going to and some we do, some players do better under a certain manager maybe their coaching methods just suits them more. Some gel with certain clubs and enjoy playing there in general be it the area, club atmosphere, fans and so on. For some the motivation is simply money and good bonuses, Sam Jones did well for us and apparently had high bonuses on his contract that eventually led to us shipping him off. Went to Shrews, lost all self confidence and is now barely motivated in non-league.

I don't think a losing atmosphere helps, players lose confidence, don't want to be blamed for mistakes or missed chances and you can see it in a relegation bound team. Derby's doomed Premiership season due to poor recruitment is a good example of this, players said they remember looking at fixtures and feeling fear. If you don't think you have much chance of winning you're not going to play with much confidence in a game that's as important as a league game. In a cup game when nobody expects you to win against a big team you can just enjoy it but a game with expectation is different. Lack of confidence leads to lack of motivation and you'll see players going through motions, not chasing every ball and nobody taking the ball and trying to make something happen/get on the end of balls. They already gave up from the start so they don't have that extra spring in their step and nobody wants the ball.  
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, March 5, 2021, 2:44pm; Reply: 16
A team is only as strong as its weakest player. If the opponents continually exploit that then we are on a hiding to nothing every time.
Posted by: livosnose, March 5, 2021, 5:09pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from nightrider

Good question this.
I think you've hit the nail on the head livo.
People always going on about how it's hard to attract players to grimsby
It probably is harder unless they're from the area. But give them the best contract and they'll come, as we've seen with some of Holloway signings
It doesn't mean they want to be here though does it!!
I'm sure lots of players we've had have gone through the motions until their contracts are up or they're paid off

Mind you,  Sean scannell has not long turned 30 - his career as a professional footballer seems to be over? Well over

In his defence I thijk it could be consistently no luck with injuries that have contributed to his spiral down the leagues.

Posted by: Stew0_0, March 5, 2021, 5:44pm; Reply: 18
Its all to do with staying in form and performing well.
It was only a few months ago Pollock was our best player and seemingly heading for the championship now hes struggling to stay in a matchday squad. The best players are at 85% each game. Unfortunately at the level we play at, those players are hard to come by or move up the pyramid quickly.
Posted by: malkamalka, March 5, 2021, 7:24pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Kris2
I'm sure it's a combination of many factors. Lack of confidence leads to lack of motivation .  

It is alarming though how quickly that confidence has been drained - barely 6 weeks in some cases.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 5, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 20
When we can afford them ...
Posted by: RexFannies, March 5, 2021, 11:59pm; Reply: 21
Having players who take a wage but refuse to get fit doesn’t help
Posted by: Rick12, March 6, 2021, 6:16am; Reply: 22
Quoted from RexFannies
Having players who take a wage but refuse to get fit doesn’t help
Interesting what I was hearing the other day during the Josh Warrington fight. Josh cites Christiano  Ronaldo as one of his inspirations and models his attitude on him eg try's to  maximise  his moderate boxing ability(in his words)  through sheer effort.

Posted by: OneLove, March 6, 2021, 8:35am; Reply: 23
look at players that come here then go on to improve its endless, strikers especially carnt hit a barn door when they play for us but other clubs knock them in. we are a jinx of a club, cursed. Hopefully if the takeover happens it can break the bad luck we've had for decades, maybe get a green kit and ditch that fisherman superstition as our ships well and truly run aground.
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 2:40am