Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2021, 8:53pm
Well someone has to say it, excrement players excrement tactics

The squad he has put together is worse than Holloway's, in fact it's far worse than the squad Neil Woods took us down with.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2021, 8:54pm; Reply: 1
Need to start planning for next season, no point changing anything now
Posted by: It Bites, March 2, 2021, 8:54pm; Reply: 2
I have to agree . It's a basket case club that needs a serious reboot
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 2, 2021, 8:54pm; Reply: 3
I'm with you, he's lost any grace after the Holloway debacle now!..
Clueless, completely clueless!!
Posted by: Brough Mariner, March 2, 2021, 8:55pm; Reply: 4
Utter shite. One up front but we are keeping us shape. Clueless
Posted by: lukeo, March 2, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 5
I actually disagree! (to an extent!)
We have a few good players but it's clearly the way he's setting us up, formation wise etc...
We have 2 very capable centre mids who can get the ball moving if we play it through them.
But obviously we're embarrasing to watch and noone can score. We looked good for 10 minutes today when we went 442 with  El Mouzi and Metata in the middle.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 2, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 6
Hard to argue, like many I expected some dour performances when he was reappointed but I also expected a few wins and some organisation.

Losing is bad but losing without a fight is totally unacceptable.
Posted by: mariner91, March 2, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 7
If we go down playing like this there's absolutely no way he can be given the chance to rectify it. If we go down with a bit of fight then maybe but this is unacceptable.
Posted by: Quagmire, March 2, 2021, 8:58pm; Reply: 8
He’s got to go, simple as that.
Posted by: Humbercod, March 2, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 9
Agree get rid of now to give us a chance tactical little goon.
You all mocked Ipswin, Yoda, Realist, And Boris but they were 100% correct, Hurst is spent someone please put him about our misery.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, March 2, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 10
Only Town can manage to put together not only one but two relegation squads in one season!

I didn't have the stomach to watch tonight but I'm not surprised at the result, that's the final nail in our league coffin unfortunately.

Take over, season end and reboot can't come soon enough.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 2, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from lukeo
I actually disagree! (to an extent!)
We have a few good players but it's clearly the way he's setting us up, formation wise etc...
We have 2 very capable centre mids who can get the ball moving if we play it through them.
But obviously we're embarrasing to watch and noone can score. We looked good for 10 minutes today when we went 442 with  El Mouzi and Metata in the middle.

What extent if you say he’s not capable of putting together the right formation. On paper since his arrival we have played a number of teams in and around us, teams out of form, Orient & Port Vale, and not beaten any of them and hardly scored a goal since his return. The bleakest time in our history.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, March 2, 2021, 9:02pm; Reply: 12
I’m usually one for time but given the last two team selections, the ensuing performances, the inability to change the system/players quick enough to effect anything and the familiar Hurst refusal to look at himself, I’d say I agree if we want any chance of staying up.

That said, I think we’re as good as down anyway and from here on in I’ll be saving my money. I’m pretty much done, and believe me when I say it’s pains me to say that after 40 years.
Posted by: Yoda, March 2, 2021, 9:04pm; Reply: 13
I hate to say some posters on here told you so,

Sack the yorkshire ear cupping dwarf.
Posted by: DB, March 2, 2021, 9:09pm; Reply: 14
Hurst said it was a mess when he came. Nothing has changed except it's a bigger mess, games are running out and he doesn't know what to do
Posted by: psgmariner, March 2, 2021, 9:13pm; Reply: 15
Would love him to be sacked but it won’t happen.

The worry for me is that the prospective new owners were involved in his appointment.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 2, 2021, 9:15pm; Reply: 16
Well let’s hope the new owners will sack him too
Posted by: Ashby mariner, March 2, 2021, 9:16pm; Reply: 17
The players present and past this season need to held accountable just has much. I know some are inexperienced at this level but they have been woeful.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 2, 2021, 9:17pm; Reply: 18
Need an entire clear out in the summer, management and players.

I thought Hurst would organise a team that would be tough to beat, and would win ugly, with a series of dour 1-0 wins.

No sign  of that.

Get rid of him and start again in the summer.
Posted by: Humbercod, March 2, 2021, 9:17pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from DB
Hurst said it was a mess when he came. Nothing has changed except it's a bigger mess, games are running out and he doesn't know what to do

He’s made the Piper Alpha look like Chernobyl.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, March 2, 2021, 9:19pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from psgmariner
Would love him to be sacked but it won’t happen.

The worry for me is that the prospective new owners were involved in his appointment.

Maybe they have told him, with a lovely bonus, to make sure we go down, which may save them the cost of a new stadium, but they still have their foot in the door.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 2, 2021, 9:21pm; Reply: 21
What ? They’re planning on playing in an empty ground next season as well ? Cunning . That’ll keep the costs down even more.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 2, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Ashby mariner
The players present and past this season need to held accountable just has much. I know some are inexperienced at this level but they have been woeful.

I said in January that we needed to bring in quality players. Not kids, not has been. How many of  Hurst's signing don't fit into one of those categories?

I also said that  we needed to BUY players. Players that command a fee, That other clubs want. Free signings are free for a reason. We were told money was not an issue. Really?

We could have bought our way out of this mess if we had been prepared to invest in decent players. We didn't. And this is the result.

Now our revenue will be decimated as we exit the EFL. False economy again. Will we never learn?

It's not rocket science.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, March 2, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Humbercod

He’s made Piper Alpha Ian Holloway look like Chernobyl a tactical genius.

Posted by: Nutsy, March 2, 2021, 9:24pm; Reply: 24
Eastwood
Hewitt Waterfall Menayese Bunney
Morais Matete Idris Adams
Hanson Payne

Get Morais firing balls in the box, an energetic midfield, defence keep tight no bombing forward just hold it, and Adams to take on players and draw out play

Bring on Shop and Lamy in 60 mins to replace Hanson and Morais to run at tired legs

I disagree this squad is poorer but some shocking tactics
Posted by: Azimuth, March 2, 2021, 9:25pm; Reply: 25
Get him out now, he should not be given another game while there is even a tiny glimmer of hope we can survive.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 2, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 26
We keep changing manager and we stay resolutely sh1te. How many we had now since we got back in the league?

I gave up caring after the Newport defeat, it makes life easier.

Think we will be non league next season whatever we do this season.
Posted by: DB, March 2, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 27
Hurst out, Fenty out and get the whole bloody lot out. I'd rather see a team from half Grimsby Borough and half Cleethorpes Town play for us rather than this lot.

They'd be local play with passion and wear the shirt with pride. Never have we fans had to endure such utter tripe for so long. Excuse after excuse nothing but excuses from a load of dire has beens and never will be's

If we'd have been in BP tonight they'd have heard the boo's at Brisbane Road.
Posted by: DNMariner, March 2, 2021, 9:30pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from RonMariner

I said in January that we needed to bring in quality players. Not kids, not has been. How many of  Hurst's signing don't fit into one of those categories?

I also said that  we needed to BUY players. Players that command a fee, That other clubs want. Free signings are free for a reason. We were told money was not an issue. Really?

We could have bought our way out of this mess if we had been prepared to invest in decent players. We didn't. And this is the result.

Now our revenue will be decimated as we exit the EFL. False economy again. Will we never learn?

It's not rocket science.

'Players that command a fee' probably wouldn't want to risk a permanent deal at a club that will playing non-league next season; they'll either be solid League Two players with better prospects on the table coupled with an acute awareness of how much of a tightrope (one that a relegation could quickly sever) a career at this level is, or they'll be very good National League players who are probably at clubs with ambitions of swapping places with us next season. Anyone else and you're looking at buying kids who aren't getting a look in at clubs in the higher echelons, or who are standout performers in the lower ones - either way, they're still kids.
Posted by: DocDock, March 2, 2021, 9:31pm; Reply: 29
Honestly don’t see the point in sacking Hurst this season, we’re doomed anyway. Fresh start next season, maybe.
Posted by: carrot top, March 2, 2021, 9:31pm; Reply: 30
Hurst out now.we are as much as relegated anyway
Posted by: RonMariner, March 2, 2021, 9:34pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from DocDock
Honestly don’t see the point in sacking Hurst this season, we’re doomed anyway. Fresh start next season, maybe.

Keeping Hurst means certain relegation.

Sacking him and bringing in a manger who at least gets the best out of the players we have might give us chance, however small, of avoiding the drop.

Worth a punt I think. Not like we have anything to lose.
Posted by: Humbercod, March 2, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from DocDock

3 jammy points from 24 or is 27 I’ve lost count and you want him to stay....really!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 2, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 33
Totally agree . But who ?
Posted by: ginnywings, March 2, 2021, 9:36pm; Reply: 34
Jolley is available.  ::)
Posted by: Humbercod, March 2, 2021, 9:37pm; Reply: 35
I’d even go and pick slade up myself if it meant getting rid of Hurst.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 2, 2021, 9:37pm; Reply: 36
Cowleys. Offer them £500k bonus to keep us up.
Posted by: Yoda, March 2, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 37
Aplenty of managers in the conference looking for a job
Posted by: Hagrid, March 2, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 38
Im not gonna say get rid. As we’re copulated anyway, but ive been very underwhelmed since PH returned
Posted by: DocDock, March 2, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 39
To those wanting Hurst out already, do you have any other suggestions? I’m curious.
Posted by: Humbercod, March 2, 2021, 9:44pm; Reply: 40
Who’s Clee Town manager I’d snap his hand off right now.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, March 2, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 41
we need some fire in our teams belly and a miracle It doesn't really matter what the other teams do if we fail again and again we can't expect % football to win games  only Goals and you get that from Attacking football

It's a no brainer Paul
Posted by: headingly_mariner, March 2, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 42
Not for me. Still 14 games left, think he’s got it wrong last few games but expect him to make a show of it. Luckily teams around us didn’t win tonight.
Posted by: DB, March 2, 2021, 9:49pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from DocDock
To those wanting Hurst out already, do you have any other suggestions? I’m curious.

I'm sure their were more than 1 applicant when he got the job, or was Hurst it?

However if the Cowley Brother could magic (little at that time) Lincoln then surely a they could use a bit of sparkle on us. They did one hell of a job at Huddersfield.
Posted by: Humbercod, March 2, 2021, 9:49pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Not for me. Still 14 games left, think he’s got it wrong last few games but expect him to make a show of it. Luckily teams around us didn’t win tonight.

Have you been in a coma for the last few months?
Posted by: Hagrid, March 2, 2021, 9:49pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Humbercod

Have you been in a coma for the last few months?

You must have been for years if you think slade would do better
Posted by: jaygy, March 2, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 46

He just doesn't learn from his mistakes though, it's a play not to lose philosophy that bored us for years in the conference and now its meaning with our toothless attack and poor defence we are adopting the same mentality but still losing by the odd goal. Get rid now! And I was actually optimistic when he was appointed
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 2, 2021, 9:54pm; Reply: 47
Let Ben and Mooro run the team till the R word happens then rebuild the club root and branch. Everyone from the tea lady to the ticket office and all in between.
Posted by: ROKERITE, March 2, 2021, 9:55pm; Reply: 48

After tonight it's almost certainly two from three. The bottom three all suffered 1-0 defeats. The teams above, excepting Port Vale and Mansfield, all had good results. What a superb job Alex Revell has done at Stevenage, a club who looked ante-post favourites for the drop.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, March 2, 2021, 9:55pm; Reply: 49
intercourse the yorkshire sharp object off
Posted by: Humbercod, March 2, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Hagrid

You must have been for years if you think slade would do better

I was actually taking the urine! But now thinking about it I probably would swap him. The teams above us are that excrement we only need 3 or 4 wins, Another Non league Jolley would do. I believe Hurst as totally lost the plot and I can’t see us getting 1 win with him never mind 4.
Posted by: Tommy, March 2, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 51
I don't know whether Hurst Out is the answer, but he's made us worse since he took over.

The games are a lot worse to watch than the games under Holloway. That might be an unpopular view because of how Holloway showed his true colours at the end, but we're absolutely dreadful now and look hopeless. Our performances, apart from the 1st half at Newport, have been worse to watch than a Sunday League side.

Can't believe I keep paying a tenner to watch in the hope that we'll be less shite.
Posted by: Mikey_345, March 2, 2021, 10:01pm; Reply: 52
Hurst Out? Have a day off...
Posted by: Mariner_501, March 2, 2021, 10:05pm; Reply: 53
How the hell have we managed to have the two worst teams in our history in the same season.

Hurst out
Posted by: denni266, March 2, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Mikey_345
Hurst Out? Have a day off...

Arr you mean like Hurst and the players have on a saturday and tuesday ... Seriously  sad dour Hurst has to go
Posted by: DocDock, March 2, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from DB

I'm sure their were more than 1 applicant when he got the job, or was Hurst it?

However if the Cowley Brother could magic (little at that time) Lincoln then surely a they could use a bit of sparkle on us. They did one hell of a job at Huddersfield.

The same Cowley brothers who most recently managed Huddersfield, a championship team? I know times are tough for managers in these COVID times but do you seriously expect them to consider  joining  a club that are currently bottom of the football league, can’t score, can’t defend and if we’re being theoretical, have just sacked Paul Hurst who had only been appointed in December? Ain’t gonna happen.

If the club and the board ever did take the nuclear option and got rid of Hurst then the only realistic option i could see would be Dave Moore taking temporary charge once again. But he is just a temporary plaster over a very large wound that is haemorrhaging all over.
Posted by: DB, March 2, 2021, 10:07pm; Reply: 56

I get fed up of reading plenty of games to go. Their aren't and when we had a few more Hurst failed to deliver the points. Time is no longer a luxury and it us Southend or Barrow. Barrow dumped Jolley and it's time for Hurst to go. He actually thought we might have beaten Harrogate or at least get a point.

He's delusioned, he can't see the wood for the trees.
Posted by: Grimal, March 2, 2021, 10:17pm; Reply: 57
The conductor of the Hallé Orchestra couldn't get a tune out of this load of shite, so until we have a massive clearout at the end of the season when we know what league we're in,(don't think there's going to be much doubt about that)  there's not much point in bringing in a new manager.If it was Pep I don't think he could get this load of so called professional footballers to win a game in the remaining fixtures.
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 2, 2021, 10:25pm; Reply: 58
Think the players are escaping too much blame here tbqh. They've all been utterly flipping excrement and are at least as equally as responsible as Hurst, if not more, for our current form.
Posted by: Hagrid, March 2, 2021, 10:27pm; Reply: 59
Agree Chris

The lack of quality and pride and effort in their performances is telling
Posted by: Humbercod, March 2, 2021, 10:33pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Grimal
The conductor of the Hallé Orchestra couldn't get a tune out of this load of shite, so until we have a massive clearout at the end of the season when we know what league we're in,(don't think there's going to be much doubt about that)  there's not much point in bringing in a new manager.If it was Pep I don't think he could get this load of so called professional footballers to win a game in the remaining fixtures.

It wasn’t long ago West Ham were 10 points adrift with 10 games remaining. I know we’re not West Ham but it’s all relative to the league. Don’t give up.
Posted by: Grimal, March 2, 2021, 10:34pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Hagrid
Agree Chris

The lack of quality and pride and effort in their performances is telling

I agree, some of this dross has played at an higher level,god knows how they managed that,some of them don't look good enough for Sunday league. I feel they've let Hurst,the club and us fans down badly and are just here stealing a wage. I'll be pleased when they f**k off.

Posted by: DB, March 2, 2021, 10:45pm; Reply: 62
Hurst said :-

We never got started in the first half.

'That performance was not anywhere close to what I expect, and I think if the players are totally honest, what they expect.

Second half was better, but it could only go one way realistically. I have to say I thought the subs had a positive impact for us. They looked like they wanted to be out there.'

It was his bloody team out there playing to his game plan. He changed nothing at half time and then tells us the changes he did make had a positive impact.
They played that bad in the first 65 mins that any impact would be positive because it was impossible to get any worse. So he admits his thoughts were we are going to loose (it could only go one way).

The sooner he goes the better resign now.
Posted by: ska face, March 2, 2021, 10:54pm; Reply: 63
Can’t we have one Hurst Out thread rather than a new one every match? At least then we can avoid the “well somebody had to say it” posts.
Posted by: MarinerWY, March 2, 2021, 10:57pm; Reply: 64
The whole "whatever happens this is Fenty to blame (compounded by Runaway) and this isn't on Hurst" sentiment didn't last long, did it?

I'm disappointed that Hurst hasn't managed to grind out some boring 0-0 draws or 1-0 wins.

But the excrement runs deep - we are flipping awful and an incredibly unattractive prospect for players. I don't see what getting rid of Hurst would do, nobody decent would opt to manage us in this sorry state.

If we go down, which sadly I think is extremely likely, then I would keep Hurst and give him a summer of building a team without the panic of a January window when league 2 players won't want to come to us anyway. I rate him as a manager, he has a good track record - I just don't rate the club behind him at the minute.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2021, 11:17pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Ashby mariner

Ultimately it is the managers that have brought these players in and they must take full responsibility.
Posted by: oochiad, March 2, 2021, 11:18pm; Reply: 66
I’m at a total loss as to what to think anymore other than we are down......
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2021, 11:23pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from DocDock

Same old pathetic answer when some want a new manager bringing in.

There are plenty of out of work managers out there including some non league managers who would love to manage in the EFL.

Christ Almighty, my wife could do a better job of picking the team and tactics.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2021, 11:24pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from ska face
Can’t we have one Hurst Out thread rather than a new one every match? At least then we can avoid the “well somebody had to say it” posts.

Has there been a Hurst Out thread already?
Posted by: davmariner, March 2, 2021, 11:28pm; Reply: 69
Give the guy a fecking break he’s doing what he can to find a winning formula. Fair enough disagree but to call for his head is baffling. Some people have short memories and forget how dire it was under Holloway. Judge him when our season is over. There’s still time to turn this around.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2021, 11:29pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Chrisblor
Think the players are escaping too much blame here tbqh. They've all been utterly flipping excrement and are at least as equally as responsible as Hurst, if not more, for our current form.

Who signed this shower of excrement?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, March 2, 2021, 11:32pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Chrisblor

In any other line of work, if an individual was constantly under performing in their job, they would be sacked, like Managers are, but these incompetent useless bar stewards just turn up for a few hours of 'training' each week, and then fail to perform during the most important 90 minutes of the week, time and time again, and yet they still receive a steady income for doing sodomist all.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2021, 11:50pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from davmariner
Give the guy a fecking break he’s doing what he can to find a winning formula. Fair enough disagree but to call for his head is baffling. Some people have short memories and forget how dire it was under Holloway. Judge him when our season is over. There’s still time to turn this around.

When he came to Blundell Park we were third from bottom, 3 points ahead of Stevenage and 4 ahead of Southend.

So he has taken us to 4 points adrift of 3rd from bottom and bottom of the table.

We have taken 4 points out of 27.

In Holloways last 9 games we took 7 points from 27.

So please explain how what we are watching now is not dire, or don't you pay to watch the games?

Posted by: GY1, March 3, 2021, 12:41am; Reply: 73
Winning becomes a habit, and so does losing. The managers job is to find a way to break the cycle when on a losing streak. This manager told the group he inherited that they were not good enough and replaced them with his group of "capable" players who where willing to fight. There is no doubt he was dealt a rough hand, but with reasonable management and some kind of motivation you would expect to see some improvement in the teams performance game to game, but's not happening, so it begs the question, is he capable of turning it around?
The new owners may not be able top stop the inevitable, but I hope they have a plan when they take over, or town maybe doomed to non- league football for the foreseeable future. I live in Hope! UTMM!!
Posted by: DocDock, March 3, 2021, 6:23am; Reply: 74
Quoted from arryarryarry

Same old pathetic answer when some want a new manager bringing in.

There are plenty of out of work managers out there including some non league managers who would love to manage in the EFL.

It’s not a pathetic answer, realistically which manager could you get in who would improve the squad in such a short space of time? There’s only been one suggestion so far and even the Cowley brothers are unrealistic at this time.

I’m not trying to defend Hurst (some of his formations and selections have been puzzling) but the likelihood is he ain’t going anywhere unless he quits before the season is up.
Posted by: DB, March 3, 2021, 6:36am; Reply: 75
Quoted from davmariner

How long a break do you want to give him. He's had 2 months 8 games and 1 win, he is supposed a season manager in this and league 1. Watching his formula I have to wonder if he has one because he hasn't any tactics apart from a 10 man defence.

It's not only a points business which Hurst has not accumulated enough of, but in our case a survival one. We were in a bad place when he came, a mess (his words). He has took us from a poor league place with some hope to the bottom of the league with little if any hope and grasping at straws. I don't think the vast majority on here thought the mess could have got worse, it has.

It was dire under Holloway and everybody thought that when your at the bottom of a pit you can only climb out. Hurst took his spade dug the pit a bit deeper.

The season is virtually over for us, grasping at straws, hoping Barrow and Southend don't win and the NL is null and void. How deep in the sh!t is that for you to make a judgement on him. He was brought in to save us not sink us.

I agree with you that we still have time, only just now with match's running out, to turn this situation around but not with Hurst. HURST OUT
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 3, 2021, 6:39am; Reply: 76
Don’t panic we’ve got FGR on Saturday who are absolutely sh.ite
Posted by: DB, March 3, 2021, 6:43am; Reply: 77
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Don’t panic we’ve got FGR on Saturday who are absolutely sh.ite

I'd rather be in their sh!tty place in the league than ours.
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 3, 2021, 7:27am; Reply: 78
Remember when Paul Hurst was announced again and people on The Fishy batted off any criticism of him by claiming they only thought that ‘because he cupped his ear’.

Turns out there might have been more to it, if only we’d known he was a negative manager with shite tactics, baffling selections and a complete inability to change a game.
Posted by: psgmariner, March 3, 2021, 8:14am; Reply: 79
Quoted from pontoonlew
Remember when Paul Hurst was announced again and people on The Fishy batted off any criticism of him by claiming they only thought that ‘because he cupped his ear’.

Turns out there might have been more to it, if only we’d known he was a negative manager with shite tactics, baffling selections and a complete inability to change a game.

I’m saving the I told you so’s till we are actually down. Terrible as he is we are not 100% down yet.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 3, 2021, 8:29am; Reply: 80
Sacking him now would only plunge us further into the (football) crisis we are clearly in. It's very unlikely that a decent manager would want to take us on in our position and so we'd bring in another experiment, bottom of the barrel has-been or cheap last gasp. They'd be stuck with the players we already have and no chance to impact our performance with new players.

I am not optimistic, I think we're going to get relegated but we do have a lot of games left and we are not adrift.

I genuinely think that sacking Hurst would make things worse, not better.
Posted by: Posh Harry, March 3, 2021, 8:44am; Reply: 81
Sacking him now would only plunge us further into the (football) crisis we are clearly in. It's very unlikely that a decent manager would want to take us on in our position and so we'd bring in another experiment, bottom of the barrel has-been or cheap last gasp. They'd be stuck with the players we already have and no chance to impact our performance with new players.

I am not optimistic, I think we're going to get relegated but we do have a lot of games left and we are not adrift.

I’m not one for shouting for people to be scared but I’m interested to know how sacking Hurst could actually make things worse?
Posted by: Hagrid, March 3, 2021, 8:49am; Reply: 82
Still has my backing. Just

But as i’ve said im really concerned about what on earth we are trying to do and how we are trying to play

Last nights interview- to me at least- showed Hurst has lost a lot of faith in these players already. I accept they were probably 3rd 4th choice on his list, but they just seem to have no fight or pride
Posted by: marinerdazza, March 3, 2021, 8:50am; Reply: 83
G3T bUCklEy InN    >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Posted by: DB, March 3, 2021, 8:50am; Reply: 84

An honest post as to why we should keep him which I appreciate. I also thought that he was the right man for the job when appointed, steady the ship get rid of the crap and one or two(even more) decent loans signings etc..

For me it hasn't happened and the excuses/reasons left the pitch last night. Another none performance, basically 3 crap games on the trot and not a whiff of an apology in his post match interview. Their is time, only just to save our bacon but not with Hurst.

I fail to understand how many on this thread keep giving, without an explanation, red cross's to all who criticise Hurst. If you see something in Hurst that others have missed please tell us.
Posted by: marinerdazza, March 3, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 85
I agree with BobbyCummingsTackle

The reason for last night's formation as far as I can see is to hold off the opposition until Hanson and the Shop can make a 20 minute cameo at the end and hopefully swing it. The reason for restricting them both to 20 minutes is because we have a thousand games in March and too much on Hanson and he's out. We all know that. And without Hanson we're knackered.

Hurst was brought in two months too late. Holloway should've been sacked after the Dagenham game. The resulting loss of form and drop in league position meant that no one would touch us with a barge pole once Hurst was actually appointed. Jolley had exactly the same problem, but he had better players to work with and a series of "fortunate" penalties and a midfielder with balls of steel who put them all away.

I don't think what we have now is even Hurst's third choice team. He knew he had to do a rebuilding job - everyone agrees with how unbalanced Holloway's team was - but was forced to do it with (in some cases) less than premium materials.

Claiming that we can replaced Hurst with "a conference manager" isn't going to cut it with me. We've had two bargain basement teams in one season and no pre-season for either team to gel.

The blame lies with the years of underfunding and the fatal gamble that the league wouldn't finish. Which can be the only explanation for what can be loosely termed a recruitment policy over the summer.  Possibly the worst decision the current board have ever made and by Christ there's some competition for that accolade.

I don't think any manager will be able to turn this round. The problem is with the quality of the players. I still have the tiniest of hopes, purely down to the games in hand and the games we have left. But you'd need a microscope to see it.

Nevertheless, if we sack him, I think there's a very good chance of us going straight through the National League. We're a crisis club. We need some stability.

For the record, I'm as morbidly depressed as anyone else. And as f**king furious. But make sure you direct that in the right direction.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 3, 2021, 9:36am; Reply: 86
Quoted from marinerdazza
I agree with BobbyCummingsTackle

The reason for last night's formation as far as I can see is to hold off the opposition until Hanson and the Shop can make a 20 minute cameo at the end and hopefully swing it. The reason for restricting them both to 20 minutes is because we have a thousand games in March and too much on Hanson and he's out. We all know that. And without Hanson we're knackered

Totally agree, which is why I said a few days ago Hurst’s middle name is pragmatic. Perhaps he should have started with Hanson and LJL who knows, but it was crystal clear what the plan was. He may have been dictated to by the quality of signings he could make in January but that’s no excuse. It is his nature at every club he has managed, he gives the opposition too much respect and takes a defensive frame of mind. But he must try taking risks now. No goals means no wins or even draws. As people have rightly said 1-0 flatters Town. There are no positives from the last two games.
Posted by: marinerdazza, March 3, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 87

Totally agree, which is why I said a few days ago Hurst’s middle name is pragmatic. Perhaps he should have started with Hanson and LJL who knows, but it was crystal clear what the plan was. He may have been dictated to by the quality of signings he could make in January but that’s no excuse. It is his nature at every club he has managed, he gives the opposition too much respect and takes a defensive frame of mind. But he must try taking risks now. No goals means no wins or even draws. As people have rightly said 1-0 flatters Town. There are no positives from the last two games.

I don't see why we can't start with LJL and Payne, and then bring Hanson on at 70 to replace whichever one is knackered. It seems pointless exhausting Morais when there isn't anyone to meet his crosses.
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 3, 2021, 10:03am; Reply: 88
Quoted from Chrisblor

Spot on!

This works both ways.  Yes, Hurst is to blame for the flipping awful tactics that we've set up with, especially in the last two games.  I'm more angry than anything at the fact that he thinks we can grind out enough 0-0's to survive when we look about as likely to keep a clean sheet as a 14-year-old boy!

But the lack of fight from players in the last few games is dreadful.  I want to see bodies on the line, last night our players were just going through the motions at times.

What does urine me off is that Hurst moaned, or at least alluded to this, in his post-match interview yet did nothing about it until the 66th minute.  Writing was on the wall well before half-time.  Use all 5 subs at the break, make a statement that actually hits home.  Half arsed displays won't be tolerated.  

Players need to be accountable.  Hurst is the only one who can really do that.

For what it's worth...I don't think sacking Hurst is the answer.  I just don't know what the answer is.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 3, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 89

Don’t mean to sound pedantic but, how can we get any worse? We’re bottom of the table with only a glimmer of chance of staying up and I think that’s most likely through the NL abandoning their season

We’re right royally fu(ked if you ask me. I don’t blame hurst for it, This season has been ruined by runaway and benign-man trying to make themselves some ££££ instead of concentrating on what they were supposed to be doing. We’re a fu(king laughing stock all the way down the a180 and a16
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 3, 2021, 10:28am; Reply: 90
If fenty hadn’t have fooked about with the takeover last year when there was an offer on the table GTFC wouldn’t be in this position. Simple as that .
Posted by: Iknowyoursecret, March 3, 2021, 10:41am; Reply: 91
The mess were in is down to the board and FENTY,deciding to sell Knowing that the sale would not go through before the January window.We are in the middle of a sale of our club so the current regime will spend as less as they can.How can we blame Hurst,yes he’s brought in some players but they have not had time to bond as a team.They haven’t been training down cheapside all the time and training on Astro turf is not ideal as it’s too hard to train on IMO for professional football players.Perhaps the mariners trust could make a video of supporters cheering them on then maybe we can pick the squad up to feel good factor.We don’t want to go down to the non league so let’s ALL fight,because here in Grimsby we all love our club.Good times ahead
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 3, 2021, 10:47am; Reply: 92
Quoted from RonMariner

It's not rocket science.

Dude, there are other things besides money.  How many players are going to look at our position, bottom of the League, and come play for us instead of going with a team in the top 10?  I doubt if any would come play for us, only those who are not wanted by any other club.  So then Sherlock, what ya going to do?

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 3, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 93
Quoted from DNMariner

'Players that command a fee' probably wouldn't want to risk a permanent deal at a club that will playing non-league next season; they'll either be solid League Two players with better prospects on the table coupled with an acute awareness of how much of a tightrope (one that a relegation could quickly sever) a career at this level is, or they'll be very good National League players who are probably at clubs with ambitions of swapping places with us next season. Anyone else and you're looking at buying kids who aren't getting a look in at clubs in the higher echelons, or who are standout performers in the lower ones - either way, they're still kids.

This, this and forever this.  Open your eyes guys and smell the coffee.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 3, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 94
Quoted from arryarryarry

And this is the best that you can come up with?  I think you belong in a kiddies forum.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 3, 2021, 11:01am; Reply: 95

In any other line of work, if an individual was constantly under performing in their job, they would be sacked, like Managers are, but these incompetent useless bar stewards just turn up for a few hours of 'training' each week, and then fail to perform during the most important 90 minutes of the week, time and time again, and yet they still receive a steady income for doing sodomist all.

So what do we do, sack them all?  Then who do we bring in, there must be 100's of top players wanting to join the team bottom of League2>

Posted by: RonMariner, March 3, 2021, 11:03am; Reply: 96
Quoted from 123614

Dude, there are other things besides money.  How many players are going to look at our position, bottom of the League, and come play for us instead of going with a team in the top 10?  I doubt if any would come play for us, only those who are not wanted by any other club.  So then Sherlock, what ya going to do?

We weren't bottom when the window opened, Dude.

In the real world money talks. Pay them and they would come. It's also about the plans you can sell them. If a player is offered a couple of hundred a week extra and told that the club is bringing in several quality players they would have come.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 3, 2021, 11:09am; Reply: 97
Quoted from RonMariner

We weren't bottom when the window opened, Dude.

In the real world money talks. Pay them and they would come. It's also about the plans you can sell them. If a player is offered a couple of hundred a week extra and told that the club is bringing in several quality players they would have come.

Hahaha, that is so funny!

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 3, 2021, 11:13am; Reply: 98
Quoted from RonMariner

It's not rocket science.

This is exactly what should have happened. It was obvious in December what was coming our way unless we were proactive and got some quality in. We didn't need 11, maybe 4 or 5 of better quality and we needed them right at the start of the window.

Some may say they were never going to come, but we had quite a decent story to tell them - the takeover had been agreed, we planned to go places next season, oh and by the way we are going to pay you over the odds if you help keep us up.

We did not do any of that, we waited till most of January had gone to get the dregs and of course we are now paying the ultimate price.

I never expected the above to happen of course; it never does. There is zero urgency or desire at GTFC to save anything, to create anything or to pay anything for anything decent.

Hurst overrated his abilities to save us and to my mind gave up on Holloway's players far too easily - players who earlier in the season were better than the has been he brought in.

One win so far and the performances getting worse. I would sack him and let a combination of Dave Moore and Ben Davies try to salvage something as a last throw of the dice.
Posted by: Zmariner, March 3, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 99
Controversially, I would not pull the trigger yet
That said during this hurst  tenure I have not seen one decent performance and I have seen most of them.
From Saturday he has to take off the shackles and take risks, he is going down regardless and Has conclusively proven that his attempts to tighten things up Have been hopeless.
The team plays like it is terrified, with some justification based on the previous results. Of the new signings ,Adam and the number 10 Have been largely anonymous
Bunny is having a nightmare And Payne Who in fairness plays  in complete isolation nearly always gives the ball away. If I were Hurst I would prefer to go out punching, Hanson seems to improve the team, Waterfall is 100% trier But in all honesty having a poor season. Hewitt is a mystery to me as I am missing what his fans are saying. Hendrie is the better fullback. I would make the team as abrasive as possible, Hanson will be in, Lewis will be in and I would probably include Payne as well
I would go for a brutal Long ball  game
I also noticed that Orient pressed all over the pitch And we do not. Final observation, this team lacks pace badly and so Hurst has made some of his own problems here.
Clearly a terrible time for us But Hurst is fighting for his career as are. A lot of these players
Poss could start as manager next season even if we go down if we are fighting but given his current show they will struggle to give season tickets away with him as manager next season, utm
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 3, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 100

This is exactly what should have happened. It was obvious in December what was coming our way unless we were proactive and got some quality in. We didn't need 11, maybe 4 or 5 of better quality and we needed them right at the start of the window.

Some may say they were never going to come, but we had quite a decent story to tell them - the takeover had been agreed, we planned to go places next season, oh and by the way we are going to pay you over the odds if you help keep us up.

We did not do any of that, we waited till most of January had gone to get the dregs and of course we are now paying the ultimate price.

I never expected the above to happen of course; it never does. There is zero urgency or desire at GTFC to save anything, to create anything or to pay anything for anything decent.

Hurst overrated his abilities to save us and to my mind gave up on Holloway's players far too easily - players who earlier in the season were better than the has been he brought in.

One win so far and the performances getting worse. I would sack him and let a combination of Dave Moore and Ben Davies try to salvage something as a last throw of the dice.

So did we do that on purpose, or do you not think that right from the beginning of the Window, Hurst was trying to get his top targets in!  The way you put it sounds like you think he sat on his @rse for the first 3 weeks doing absolutely nothing.

Posted by: ginnywings, March 3, 2021, 12:00pm; Reply: 101
Sacking the manager is a sure fire way to salvation. We keep doing it and look at us soar up the leagues.

The argument seems to be that sacking the manager is correct because we couldn't get any worse, yet we keep sacking managers and we keep getting worse, so there is clearly something else going on here. It's a black hole of a club with a losing mentality right through from top to bottom. Years and years of poor decisions, underfunding and a general malaise has seen us skimming along as bottom feeders, repeating the same mistakes over and over.

Unfortunately, the consortium looks to have come along just too late to save us from near certain demise from the football league and everyone is looking for a scapegoat. Paul Hurst is that scapegoat.

Every fan thinks he knows the answer. If only he would put player X in position Y, and if we played this formation over that formation, we would suddenly become a winning side. I can see it, why can't he? He must be useless at his job, so let's find some mythical manager from non league who will think the same as we do. It's a delusion.

I'm no fan of PH, I've made that clear many times, but it's not because he doesn't know how to organise a side to get results, because he does most of the time. He was the right appointment in my opinion and a natural fit. It hasn't worked so far, but there's no way of knowing if anyone else would have had any more success, given the hand they were dealt.

PH has managed six clubs, four of which he got to play off finals and three of which he got promoted. He also saved Shrewsbury from near certain relegation before he took them to the play offs. That is the record of a man who gets results more often than not and I can't think of anyone else we could have attracted with that level of competence.

I've switched off emotionally from GTFC and am of the opinion that what will be will be. We've waited desperately for new owners with new direction and it finally looks like we have our wish, but in true GTFC style, there  looks likely to be one last twist of the knife to the guts before we can start to look forward. I can feel the anger and frustration of the fans emanating from the pages of this forum, but I don't think changing the manager will stave of the dreaded drop.

We are not down yet, and until we are, I live in hope, but that hope isn't in the form of yet another manager, so for me, we go with what we've got and hope for the best.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 3, 2021, 12:01pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Don’t mean to sound pedantic but, how can we get any worse? We’re bottom of the table with only a glimmer of chance of staying up and I think that’s most likely through the NL abandoning their season

We’re right royally fu(ked if you ask me. I don’t blame hurst for it, This season has been ruined by runaway and benign-man trying to make themselves some ££££ instead of concentrating on what they were supposed to be doing. We’re a fu(king laughing stock all the way down the a180 and a16

A couple of people have asked how it could be worse:

- we could be looking over our shoulder in the National League. Not that long since we were there!
- we could be 6 points adrift, we're not. We are 4 behind with 2 games in hand.
- we have 17 games left, over 50 points!!
- we have a manager who is not a bullsh*tting *rsehole. He's not perfect either
- we are not trying to find a manager (again!) when we should be focussing on the next game

I'm not some naive or hopeless optimist, things are awful. But I don't think sacking Hurst is the right thing to do at this moment. And replacing him with another Jolley, Newell, Bobby Roberts or whoever will not get us out of the sh*t.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 3, 2021, 12:02pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from 123614

So did we do that on purpose, or do you not think that right from the beginning of the Window, Hurst was trying to get his top targets in!  The way you put it sounds like you think he sat on his @rse for the first 3 weeks doing absolutely nothing.

Of course he didn’t. He had a small budget and he spent the time trying to persuade his top targets to come to the end of the world to a club at the bottom of the EFL for not much money and not much of a contract. My bet he was waiting on a striker who eventually said no thanks on 31st Jan, leaving Hurst with few other options just as OH had in the summer.

Having said that we are where we are for a combination of reasons, not least his negativity under the disguise of realism when he sets up his tactics. If you invite the opposition to bang the ball in our box time after time, chances are one is going to bring a goal. If we only get the ball in their box 2 or 3 time the odds on a goal from out shot shy lot are infinitesimal.

Posted by: kafunanapar140909, March 3, 2021, 12:06pm; Reply: 104
I feel like there are a few issues with PH’s appointment so far. Some sound like excuses but others are definite shortcomings:

1)     His tactics. Like a few people, I was encouraged upon his return because I assumed he’d go back to his trustworthy 4-4-2 (or the 4-3-3) that he used last time he was here. I expected us to become much more pragmatic and grind out some wins with some solid football. Instead we’ve seen tinkering with 4-2-3-1s and 5-3-2s, and we really have not seen the solidity that I’d expect from a Hurst team at all.
2)     His signings. Yes, practically the whole team are players which he has signed, however he stated on a couple of occasions during the window that players simply do not want to join a team at the bottom of the FL. Whilst these are “his” signings, I sincerely doubt many are his first choice, which has left him a little hamstrung (I imagine any manager that we hired would have been in a similar position).
3)     I was keen to give him January to find some of “his own” signings, because the shower that IH left were abysmal. If we take his second tenure as from the point when he’s actually had a team that we might reasonably call a “Hurst team” (i.e. from after Jan), we’ve only played three fixtures, won one and lost two 1-0. Yes, in those that we lost (and won!) we weren’t amazing, but at least we weren’t absolutely hammered either. It’s not like this new team has been able to play friendlies due to Covid. I just worry that we’ll be cut adrift before we see any semblance of this group of players coming together as a team.
Posted by: kafunanapar140909, March 3, 2021, 12:09pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
won one and lost two 1-0.

Well, won one and lost three 1-0!

Posted by: arryarryarry, March 3, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 106

A couple of people have asked how it could be worse:

- we could be looking over our shoulder in the National League. Not that long since we were there!
- we could be 6 points adrift, we're not. We are 4 behind with 2 games in hand.
- we have 17 games left, over 50 points!!
- we have a manager who is not a bullsh*tting *rsehole. He's not perfect either
- we are not trying to find a manager (again!) when we should be focussing on the next game

I'm not some naive or hopeless optimist, things are awful. But I don't think sacking Hurst is the right thing to do at this moment. And replacing him with another Jolley, Newell, Bobby Roberts or whoever will not get us out of the sh*t.

And there was me thinking Jolley kept us up.

I must have dreamt that.
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, March 3, 2021, 12:28pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from ginnywings
Sacking the manager is a sure fire way to salvation. We keep doing it and look at us soar up the leagues.

The argument seems to be that sacking the manager is correct because we couldn't get any worse, yet we keep sacking managers and we keep getting worse, so there is clearly something else going on here. It's a black hole of a club with a losing mentality right through from top to bottom. Years and years of poor decisions, underfunding and a general malaise has seen us skimming along as bottom feeders, repeating the same mistakes over and over.

Unfortunately, the consortium looks to have come along just too late to save us from near certain demise from the football league and everyone is looking for a scapegoat. Paul Hurst is that scapegoat.

Every fan thinks he knows the answer. If only he would put player X in position Y, and if we played this formation over that formation, we would suddenly become a winning side. I can see it, why can't he? He must be useless at his job, so let's find some mythical manager from non league who will think the same as we do. It's a delusion.

I'm no fan of PH, I've made that clear many times, but it's not because he doesn't know how to organise a side to get results, because he does most of the time. He was the right appointment in my opinion and a natural fit. It hasn't worked so far, but there's no way of knowing if anyone else would have had any more success, given the hand they were dealt.

PH has managed six clubs, four of which he got to play off finals and three of which he got promoted. He also saved Shrewsbury from near certain relegation before he took them to the play offs. That is the record of a man who gets results more often than not and I can't think of anyone else we could have attracted with that level of competence.

I've switched off emotionally from GTFC and am of the opinion that what will be will be. We've waited desperately for new owners with new direction and it finally looks like we have our wish, but in true GTFC style, there  looks likely to be one last twist of the knife to the guts before we can start to look forward. I can feel the anger and frustration of the fans emanating from the pages of this forum, but I don't think changing the manager will stave of the dreaded drop.

We are not down yet, and until we are, I live in hope, but that hope isn't in the form of yet another manager, so for me, we go with what we've got and hope for the best.

Excellent post.

Posted by: diehardmariner, March 3, 2021, 12:54pm; Reply: 108
Great post Ginny.

I think the thing that's getting me the most, this is from a position of (like yourself) having become a bit emotionally detached, is the seeming lack of fight of late.

Under Holloway I almost accepted that it was such a shambles that I couldn't really expect anything other than complete confusion from anyone pulling a shirt on.  How can you go out there and fight for the cause when you don't really know what the cause is?

I wasn't really excited by Hurst's appointment as he left me cold for long periods of his first spell, but I felt he would bring the exact skills we needed.  He would install some spirit, some fight, some togetherness but also organise the players to within an inch of their lives to get us out of his situation.  I expected ground out performances, dogged 1-0's where we performed smash and grab displays away from home at promotion chasing teams, games where we defended a 1-0 lead for far too long and retreated so deep that we camped on our own goal line for 50 minutes.  

I've seen nothing of that so far.

It's always the hope that kills you but this time I think the hope has just done me in.  In my heart of hearts I've accepted over the last week that we're down.  You really can't polish a turd and a turd is what this club has become.  It's not just the players, it's everything.  The set-up, the infrastructure, the mood...it's toxic and terminal.    It's a complete mirror of 11 years ago, we circled the drain for long enough and never learned our lessons.  Pre-Hurst we were going down.  2 months after his arrival, we're still going down.  I just kinda wouldn't mind if we went down swinging rather than cowering.
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, March 3, 2021, 1:09pm; Reply: 109
Another excellent post DHM. If I hadn't already given Ginny my post of the day then you would have got it for that last paragraph alone.
Posted by: MarinerWY, March 3, 2021, 1:29pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from ginnywings

Apparently I've used up my star post for the day, but if I could take it back I'd put it on this post with big intercourse-off bells on it.
Posted by: HarrogateMariner, March 3, 2021, 1:39pm; Reply: 111

Last 2 points spot on for me. I have said it before, I genuinely think we have some ok players but Hurst has removed any confidence from them. When he came in it was an instant message of you are not good enough. He was probably right about most players, but what about giving everyone a clean slate and giving them the chance to prove themselves to a new manager. Especially the young players, their confidence must be extinct. He then obviously thought he would be able to bring better players in than he has.

For me I would give it to Moore and Davies rest of season. At least Moore will be capable of motivating the players and would only play those who give 100%. I believe whatever we do, we are down, if Hurst stays or not. But let's go down with a fight. Of course Hurst is not to blame for all this, we all know who is ultimately responsible, but no one can argue that Hurst hasn't been a major disappointment. Absolutely under no circumstances should he be allowed to rebuild and be in charge next season. He is not the long term answer. End of season we will have new owners, time for a fresh start.
Posted by: Tommy, March 3, 2021, 1:40pm; Reply: 112
Very balanced and level-headed posts from ginnywings and DHM.

I'm not quite as relaxed about the situation as you sound ginny. Perhaps because I've not emotionally switched off from it yet. I'm still absolutely seething we've been allowed to drift into this position again fighting for FL survival. And it winds me up watching every week (or twice a week at the moment - joy!!!) watching players just belting the ball anywhere and unable to play football.

I'd add to DHM's post, that we weren't in the bottom 2 under Holloway. Whilst things weren't great, I don't think we were destined for the drop at that time. We certainly weren't as dire and hopeless as we are now. One point from 2 games under Davies/Moore and 1 win in 9 under Hurst and we now look doomed.

I know Holloway is rightly viewed as a madman, a bottler and probably a dodgy character that was well involved in the Alex May stuff, but I'm questioning whether, had he been given the boosted budget PH had in January, presumably with the removal of covid clauses from new contracts, could IH have brought some better players in than he was able to in August (just as he did last January) and keep us out of the bottom 2.

Will get shot down by many for that no doubt. But I'm just merely posing a question and trying to look at it objectively without being influenced by Holloway the person, or the fact that Hurst got us promoted once upon a time.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 3, 2021, 1:46pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from DB
Hurst said :-

We never got started in the first half.

'That performance was not anywhere close to what I expect, and I think if the players are totally honest, what they expect.

Second half was better, but it could only go one way realistically. I have to say I thought the subs had a positive impact for us. They looked like they wanted to be out there.'

It was his bloody team out there playing to his game plan. He changed nothing at half time and then tells us the changes he did make had a positive impact.
They played that bad in the first 65 mins that any impact would be positive because it was impossible to get any worse. So he admits his thoughts were we are going to loose (it could only go one way).

The sooner he goes the better resign now.

I agree his team and his game plan

But part of that plan won't have been players not being able to pass the ball to their team-mates, not making reckless tackles, not making runs and creating space, not losing players they should be marking

We all have opinions about who should have been out there and what the tactics should be, but if these professional footballers repeatedly fail to do the basics, then as someone else said above, they are letting the club, the manager, the fans and themselves down

And on that showing last night, the only way is down  :(

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 3, 2021, 1:50pm; Reply: 114

Head on nail.... they're just looking to take the money and run

Except they're mainly not even bothering with the run part
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 3, 2021, 2:08pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If fenty hadn’t have fooked about with the takeover last year when there was an offer on the table GTFC wouldn’t be in this position. Simple as that .

Genuine question...

If the takeover is dependent on EFL approval, what will happen if we lose our EFL status?

::)
Posted by: exiledmeggie, March 3, 2021, 2:21pm; Reply: 116
In my job, probation is about 13 weeks. Normally by around this time, one would be given very strict advice on their future!
Posted by: Posh Harry, March 3, 2021, 2:40pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Genuine question...

If the takeover is dependent on EFL approval, what will happen if we lose our EFL status?

::)

If we have been relegated before we get approval then something has gone seriously wrong in the background. We will still be a member of the EFL until at least May.
Posted by: pontoonlew, March 3, 2021, 3:28pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from Tommy
Very balanced and level-headed posts from ginnywings and DHM.

I'm not quite as relaxed about the situation as you sound ginny. Perhaps because I've not emotionally switched off from it yet. I'm still absolutely seething we've been allowed to drift into this position again fighting for FL survival. And it winds me up watching every week (or twice a week at the moment - joy!!!) watching players just belting the ball anywhere and unable to play football.

I'd add to DHM's post, that we weren't in the bottom 2 under Holloway. Whilst things weren't great, I don't think we were destined for the drop at that time. We certainly weren't as dire and hopeless as we are now. One point from 2 games under Davies/Moore and 1 win in 9 under Hurst and we now look doomed.

I know Holloway is rightly viewed as a madman, a bottler and probably a dodgy character that was well involved in the Alex May stuff, but I'm questioning whether, had he been given the boosted budget PH had in January, presumably with the removal of covid clauses from new contracts, could IH have brought some better players in than he was able to in August (just as he did last January) and keep us out of the bottom 2.

Will get shot down by many for that no doubt. But I'm just merely posing a question and trying to look at it objectively without being influenced by Holloway the person, or the fact that Hurst got us promoted once upon a time.

Taking the situation of Holloway off the pitch out of it (Alex May, Dodgy Deals and seemingly a bit of a knob), I don't think any of what you've said is up for debate.

I've said it many times before, Holloway (for his many faults) was badly let down by Phil Day in the summer, had we had Vernam, Davis, Whitehouse and Clarke in this squad we absolutely categorically wouldn't be in this position and that is Philip Days (and Fenty's) fault.

He then built a 'squad' of players who he wrongly thought he could train to be better with a few journeymen to boot, the problem is, that method seemed to work better than the absolute shambles that Hurst has built. Look back at Leyton Orient and Cheltenham away, there is not a cat in hells chance that Paul Hursts side would produce those displays. Holloways 'style' wasn't ideal most of the time (passing out from the back etc) but my god at least we tried in some way to win a football match.

One of our best players is Morais, the only player that Holloway signed once he knew he'd copulated up the summer recruitment, that worries me a lot. Either Holloways recruitment would've got better in January or Morais is just as bad as the first lot and this 'second wave' are worse.

I absolutely don't think Hurst should go, but IMO we're seeing exactly the sort of stuff we became used to in the Conference. These strange decisions, negative tactics and stubbornness to change are not new things and nobody should be surprised.

I've cooled off slightly and I'm still safe in the knowledge that despite how bad it is on the pitch, the table dictates that we're still absolutely in this, but the buck now stops firmly at Hursts door.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, March 3, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree with what you have written. I am emotionally drained by GTFC. It has been going on for 15 years now. No progress. We have just gone into a spiral of decline. Always promises but nothing happens. A great club is in the gutter. I keep hoping that we will avoid relegation in the end but, in truth, I have reconciled my mind to it happening.
Whatever Hurst did he was on a loser. I am astonished at those who are laying into him. This situation is ingrained into the heart of the club and has been building up for years and people expect him to rescue it in a matter of weeks.  Get real.
When the new people get to grips with this we can hopefully rebuild. But Hurst should not be the scapegoat for the poor management of others who have been running the club over the last decade and more.
I was shot to pieces by someone for stating this and got a catalogue of Hurst's alleged errors and now, apparently, some want Holloway back.
Don't expect miracles, folks. They rarely happen.
Posted by: Tommy, March 3, 2021, 6:12pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from hampshiremariner

I agree with what you have written. I am emotionally drained by GTFC. It has been going on for 15 years now. No progress. We have just gone into a spiral of decline. Always promises but nothing happens. A great club is in the gutter. I keep hoping that we will avoid relegation in the end but, in truth, I have reconciled my mind to it happening.
Whatever Hurst did he was on a loser. I am astonished at those who are laying into him. This situation is ingrained into the heart of the club and has been building up for years and people expect him to rescue it in a matter of weeks.  Get real.
When the new people get to grips with this we can hopefully rebuild. But Hurst should not be the scapegoat for the poor management of others who have been running the club over the last decade and more.
I was shot to pieces by someone for stating this and got a catalogue of Hurst's alleged errors and now, apparently, some want Holloway back.

Has anyone said they want Holloway back?

Some have said we are worse now than we were under Holloway, but no-one has said they'd want him back as far as I've seen.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 3, 2021, 6:41pm; Reply: 121

Well said HM

I hope Hurst doesn't turn in to the fall guy here while those really responsible sneak out the back door, with all the loot
Posted by: barrattstandman, March 3, 2021, 6:52pm; Reply: 122
Just a thought. Who approached Hurst in the first place ?
Does that give you anymore hope for future appointments by the new owners ?  If JF  had been instrumental this time then the fishy would be in meltdown with their abuse of him .
Only time will tell and Hurst is tried and trusted so we thought he would sort it .
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 3, 2021, 8:09pm; Reply: 123

Can you point to the posters who suggested they wanted Holloway back so we can laugh at them.
Posted by: realist, March 3, 2021, 8:28pm; Reply: 124
I would sooner have Marcus back than the miserable little excrement Hurst.
What is he doing on the training ground? It is possible to get a bunch of really poor players to work effectively together and get results.  Hurst can't.  All we see now is a team set up to play to each player's weaknesses . It is really poor management and coaching and the current team must take the criticism for what is happening now.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 3, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from barrattstandman
Just a thought. Who approached Hurst in the first place ?
Does that give you anymore hope for future appointments by the new owners ?  If JF  had been instrumental this time then the fishy would be in meltdown with their abuse of him .
Only time will tell and Hurst is tried and trusted so we thought he would sort it .

i think i'm right in saying that he approached the new consortium.

I'd refer you to Ginny's post about the futility of constantly changing managers.
I'd add that the fact that most of us have accepted we will be in the non league desert next season. Therefore you have to ask yourself if there are many better non league managers out there? At least Hurst will have had  5-6 months to get a good idea of what he has and what he will need.
Hurst resigns in May and we will go through the same rigmarole again - new manager appointed takes time to assess his squad and is then playing catch up as he tries to sign players to fill the gaps
Posted by: realist, March 3, 2021, 8:58pm; Reply: 126
But Hursts record in non league wasn’t good enough. All those years to get promoted with his negative tactics all the time nearly finished me.
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 3, 2021, 9:05pm; Reply: 127
Holloway may have picked up more points over the same amount of games as Hurst, but there’s no doubt we were nose diving under him. Had he stayed longer, I’d be surprised if our predicament would be any different. Unfortunately hurst hasn’t been able to halt the slide. But let’s not pretend this plummet into the abyss is a one season thing, it’s been happening for far too long. It doesn’t matter who our manager is or which players we bring it, the clubs a poison chalice. A lot needs to change before we’ll become a respectable club again, and most of that is outside of the managers control.

Bloody excrement being a town fan right now, but we can only hope for better days.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 3, 2021, 9:05pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from realist
But Hursts record in non league wasn’t good enough. All those years to get promoted with his negative tactics all the time nearly finished me.

Good enough to have us in the play offs four seasons running.
Posted by: realist, March 3, 2021, 9:14pm; Reply: 129
And finishing as losers in most of them. Play offs are worthless unless you win. I can honestly say I would sooner not go to a play off final and come away as a loser again. So much hope shattered by team Hurst
Posted by: DB, March 3, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from forza ivano

I'd refer you to Ginny's post about the futility of constantly changing managers.
I'd add that the fact that most of us have accepted we will be in the non league desert next season. Therefore you have to ask yourself if there are many better non league managers out there? At least Hurst will have had  5-6 months to get a good idea of what he has and what he will need.
Hurst resigns in May and we will go through the same rigmarole again - new manager appointed takes time to assess his squad and is then playing catch up as he tries to sign players to fill the gaps

Apart from Jolly the last sacking as such was Slade. Jolly was sacked because of the incident with RH. Oloway resigned and others were stand ins so to me we are not constantly changing managers.
Hurst should know now what a crap load of players he has signed so I can't see how another 5/6 months will help after all the loanee's have gone and contracts ended. The core of what will be left are useless, oloway deals.

If Hurst goes in May any new manager will not have a squad, loanee's gone back others at the end of their contract. It doesn't matter which league were in it's a total rebuilding job with nobody to build a new team around.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 3, 2021, 10:54pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from forza ivano

Whether it's Hurst or another manager surely they are going to assess the squad and have to bring in a load of new players as if we go down the current shower will not get us promoted.

Considering the crap he has already brought in I'm not hopeful of anyone else he will sign.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 3, 2021, 11:27pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from arryarryarry

Whether it's Hurst or another manager surely they are going to assess the squad and have to bring in a load of new players as if we go down the current shower will not get us promoted.

Considering the crap he has already brought in I'm not hopeful of anyone else he will sign.

I agree a wholesale change in playing staff is needed, whichever division we are in.

But yet again I have to say that good players cost. We need to invest to progress.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 3, 2021, 11:30pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from 123614

And this is the best that you can come up with?  I think you belong in a kiddies forum.

You must be the master of quick wit and repartee.

Actually my wife watches some of the games and she was asking why we seem to be playing with one upfront.

But thanks for the comment sonny.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 3, 2021, 11:39pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from DB

Apart from Jolly the last sacking as such was Slade. Jolly was sacked because of the incident with RH. Oloway resigned and others were stand ins so to me we are not constantly changing managers.
Hurst should know now what a crap load of players he has signed so I can't see how another 5/6 months will help after all the loanee's have gone and contracts ended. The core of what will be left are useless, oloway deals.

If Hurst goes in May any new manager will not have a squad, loanee's gone back others at the end of their contract. It doesn't matter which league were in it's a total rebuilding job with nobody to build a new team around.

Sacked, resigned, walked out. Doesn't really matter what you call their demise, we have had 5 managers and at least 4 caretakers in less than 5 seasons, yet some want us to roll the dice again. It's madness!
Posted by: Hagrid, March 3, 2021, 11:52pm; Reply: 135
Seems to be the same names calling for heads to roll time and time again
Do i get the frustration? Yes. Do i get the anger the hurt? Yes

Changing managers isnt gonna change anything. No manager better than PH will come to this club at this time. Noone. And your deluding yourself if you think otherwise
Posted by: Eastendmariner, March 3, 2021, 11:53pm; Reply: 136
It took 2 seasons for AB to find the right formula but hold on Fenty wasn't at the club ?
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 4, 2021, 5:27am; Reply: 137
Quoted from Hagrid
Seems to be the same names calling for heads to roll time and time again
Do i get the frustration? Yes. Do i get the anger the hurt? Yes

Changing managers isnt gonna change anything. No manager better than PH will come to this club at this time. Noone. And your deluding yourself if you think otherwise

We stuck with Neil Woods and look where that got us or have you forgotten those 6 years in the wilderness. If we hadn't got rid of Slade we could have likely already been back in the National League.

As for there are no better managers who will come to this club at this time is balderdash. I am sure there are plenty of out of work managers who couldn't do any worse than we are now and may have known better quality players than Hurst has lumbered us with and may possibly be able to get more out of what we have or who would make better tactical decisions than the "let's wait for the 60th minute before we change the game" plan.

If we stay up please come back and tell me I was wrong, I would be more than happy.

At least I can say I was right about letting Neil Woods anywhere near the first team.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 4, 2021, 8:24am; Reply: 138
IMO, Hurst took over Shrewsbury with a good enough team, but under performing.
He also took over 2 months before the January window, so he had enough time to evaluate the situation.
He only signed 3 players, and got 5 loans in,

He took over us, with a team that would struggle in non-league to be in the top half.
He took over on the 30th December, 2 months less than Shrewsbury.
He signed 6 players, and got 5 loans in

It's like he's been told to take over a burning building, with a bunch of firefighters that don't know what they are doing.
He isn't magic, and he isn't a genius

Posted by: Tommy, March 4, 2021, 8:38am; Reply: 139
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
IMO, Hurst took over Shrewsbury with a good enough team, but under performing.
He also took over 2 months before the January window, so he had enough time to evaluate the situation.
He only signed 3 players, and got 5 loans in,

He took over us, with a team that would struggle in non-league to be in the top half.
He took over on the 30th December, 2 months less than Shrewsbury.
He signed 6 players, and got 5 loans in

It's like he's been told to take over a burning building, with a bunch of firefighters that don't know what they are doing.
He isn't magic, and he isn't a genius

But in recent weeks he's not telling enough of the firefighters to stand close enough to the fire. He's got most of them stood so far back that the water from their hose doesn't reach the burning building, so they've not got much chance of winning the battle.

Re-arrange/re-position some of the firefighters and we might give ourselves a chance.
Posted by: cannylad68, March 4, 2021, 8:59am; Reply: 140
Question.

Who is Paul Hurst responsible to?

Is it:-

Phillip Day, John Fenty or the new consortium

or is he a free cannon?

Thank you.
Posted by: ska face, March 4, 2021, 9:04am; Reply: 141
Mental how there’s always this pool of out of work managers who would be willing to come here and would definitely be better than whichever manager we have at the time. But despite having 5 different managers, plus 4 different caretaker managers, since 2016 somehow we’ve just decided not to bother getting one of these decent managers.

Still, always an interesting discussion. Every week.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 4, 2021, 9:14am; Reply: 142
Quoted from cannylad68
Question.

Who is Paul Hurst responsible to?

Is it:-

Phillip Day, John Fenty or the new consortium

or is he a free cannon?

Thank you.

At time of writing John Fenty remains majority shareholder in the club and Day is chairman. Hurst is responsible to them but day to day will report to one of them, I don't know but I'd guess Day. The consortium has no part in the actual running of the club because they don't own it yet. Any discussion about the running of the club between the consortium and Fenty/Day will be a courtesy in view of the takeover.
Posted by: cannylad68, March 4, 2021, 9:26am; Reply: 143
Thank you.
Posted by: Son of Cod, March 4, 2021, 9:31am; Reply: 144
Quoted from ska face
Mental how there’s always this pool of out of work managers who would be willing to come here and would definitely be better than whichever manager we have at the time. But despite having 5 different managers, plus 4 different caretaker managers, since 2016 somehow we’ve just decided not to bother getting one of these decent managers.

In all fairness, we've got a lot of time before the next transfer window opens up and we can start the Bogle threads.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 4, 2021, 9:45am; Reply: 145
This thread may as well be closed now!  Jason Stockwood has backed PH with his post on Twitter, that's it you Hurst haters, he is staying!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, March 4, 2021, 9:48am; Reply: 146
This being a fans forum people will obviously have differing opinions on the best way to get us out of this mess.

Some may want to stick with a manager who is obviously struggling, despite getting his own players in; some might wish for another change in the hope we can get some reaction from the players.

Some posters have argued other teams might be dragged into the relegation fight and others hope the National League will be voided, both of which are long shots and with the first one, it wouldn't matter anyway unless we start picking up some wins, which brings us back to whether we should stick or twist with the manager.

Every conceivable thing seems to have gone against us, but some might argue although not in a great position we did not look nailed on certainties for relegation when Holloway left, but we do now.

The probability is that Hurst will see the season out, for good or ill. If that is the case he will obviously have to find a winning formula but the team is currently so bad it is difficult to see how.

None of us has the answers; we are just commenting on events in real-time. I wanted Holloway to stay and put things right till circumstances dictated otherwise; I was happy to see Hurst return presuming he would tighten us up and grind out some wins. That has not happened either but we only know these things after the event.

If we get relegated with Hurst we should have made a change; if we don't congratulations to those who wanted him to stay. Football is all about opinions and long may it continue, but like everybody else, I am desperate to see the team turn it around.
Posted by: oochiad, March 4, 2021, 9:50am; Reply: 147
What worries me is setting up last Saturday without wingers, with Hanson and Payne on. How could that possibly work. Just plain ridiculous. Hurst needs to be questioned on his thinking there......
Posted by: realist, March 4, 2021, 10:16am; Reply: 148
Quoted from 123614
This thread may as well be closed now!  Jason Stockwood has backed PH with his post on Twitter, that's it you Hurst haters, he is staying!

This is so worrying.  The new owners appear to be Fenty continuation people. We are doomed.
Sorry to have an opinion about Hurst but I make up my own mind and don't follow twits
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 4, 2021, 10:43am; Reply: 149
I listened to the DN35 podcast this morning and the guest was Jack Johnson, former Town Press/Media/creator of sticker books.

Anyway, he made a really good point in reflection of 3 years ago.  In fact just under 3 years ago.  The low point that season and the point when I was absolutely convinced we would go down was Coventry away.  We had seen no bounce from Jolley coming in, had been shown up away at Lincoln the previous week and then having hung up for most the game just collapsed to a 4-0 defeat at the Ricoh.  

That left us 3 points above second bottom Chesterfield who had two games in hand.  This is with 7 games to go. We then went onto pick up a point in the next game and lost the one after.  Of the final 5 games, we picked up 13 points and finished 18th in the end, 13 points ahead of the Chesterfield side who were breathing down our necks a matter of weeks before.  In fact the day after the Coventry game I remember watching Chesterfield played Notts County, won and looked absolutely full of it.  It was also the day Dembele gave the most half-arsed interview with Humberside in which he pretty much admitted he couldn't wait to get away.  It didn't feel a great day to be a Town fan.

But the point is that it can transform so quickly.  Are we excrement at the minute?  God yes, we're bloody awful.  Is it looking bleak?  100%  it is, I can't see where the next point is coming from.  But then I felt this way after the Coventry game and we still only managed to pick up a single point from the next two games before it transformed.  We've not got 7 games left, we've got 16.

We stayed up that season with a front three of Harry Cardwell, JJ Hooper and Harry Clifton.   That's a non-scoring striker who was absolutely wet behind the ears, an early incarnation of a journeyman striker playing on the left wing and a non-attacking central midfielder with his first run in the team playing on the right.  In fact the Chesterfield game that turned it round we started with Scott Vernon and JJ Hooper up top!

Hurst has really disappointed me in the last few games but I still rate him higher than Jolley.  I also think that there's a better bunch of players in the squad now than Jolley had to get a tune out of 3 years ago.  

Improvements are needed, both in terms of performances and how we set ourselves up.  These improvements need to come bloody sharpish.  But it's not over.  Far from it.

Posted by: pontoonlew, March 4, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 150
Quoted from diehardmariner
I listened to the DN35 podcast this morning and the guest was Jack Johnson, former Town Press/Media/creator of sticker books.

Anyway, he made a really good point in reflection of 3 years ago.  In fact just under 3 years ago.  The low point that season and the point when I was absolutely convinced we would go down was Coventry away.  We had seen no bounce from Jolley coming in, had been shown up away at Lincoln the previous week and then having hung up for most the game just collapsed to a 4-0 defeat at the Ricoh.  

That left us 3 points above second bottom Chesterfield who had two games in hand.  This is with 7 games to go. We then went onto pick up a point in the next game and lost the one after.  Of the final 5 games, we picked up 13 points and finished 18th in the end, 13 points ahead of the Chesterfield side who were breathing down our necks a matter of weeks before.  In fact the day after the Coventry game I remember watching Chesterfield played Notts County, won and looked absolutely full of it.  It was also the day Dembele gave the most half-arsed interview with Humberside in which he pretty much admitted he couldn't wait to get away.  It didn't feel a great day to be a Town fan.

But the point is that it can transform so quickly.  Are we excrement at the minute?  God yes, we're bloody awful.  Is it looking bleak?  100%  it is, I can't see where the next point is coming from.  But then I felt this way after the Coventry game and we still only managed to pick up a single point from the next two games before it transformed.  We've not got 7 games left, we've got 16.

We stayed up that season with a front three of Harry Cardwell, JJ Hooper and Harry Clifton.   That's a non-scoring striker who was absolutely wet behind the ears, an early incarnation of a journeyman striker playing on the left wing and a non-attacking central midfielder with his first run in the team playing on the right.  In fact the Chesterfield game that turned it round we started with Scott Vernon and JJ Hooper up top!

Hurst has really disappointed me in the last few games but I still rate him higher than Jolley.  I also think that there's a better bunch of players in the squad now than Jolley had to get a tune out of 3 years ago.  

Improvements are needed, both in terms of performances and how we set ourselves up.  These improvements need to come bloody sharpish.  But it's not over.  Far from it.

That's certainly made me feel better  ;D

I still think the Jolley 'miracle' was somewhat of a myth given the situation we were in, especially given Chesterfield barely got another point after that but we stayed up all the same. The league table dictates that we're absolutely not out of this at all and knowing our fans, we'll all get excited if we picked up a couple of wins and got ourselves out of the relegation zone.

I just desperately hope Hurst swallows a little bit of pride and just tries something different, given previous form that isn't too likely to happen and that's the biggest worry right now.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 4, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 151
Quoted from diehardmariner

I was reading this morning that Barnsley have won 6 in a row and have gone from looking over their shoulder to being on the verge of the play offs in the championship - this stuff happens!!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 4, 2021, 11:02am; Reply: 152
This being a fans forum people will obviously have differing opinions on the best way to get us out of this mess.

Some may want to stick with a manager who is obviously struggling, despite getting his own players in; some might wish for another change in the hope we can get some reaction from the players.

Some posters have argued other teams might be dragged into the relegation fight and others hope the National League will be voided, both of which are long shots and with the first one, it wouldn't matter anyway unless we start picking up some wins, which brings us back to whether we should stick or twist with the manager.

Every conceivable thing seems to have gone against us, but some might argue although not in a great position we did not look nailed on certainties for relegation when Holloway left, but we do now.

The probability is that Hurst will see the season out, for good or ill. If that is the case he will obviously have to find a winning formula but the team is currently so bad it is difficult to see how.

None of us has the answers; we are just commenting on events in real-time. I wanted Holloway to stay and put things right till circumstances dictated otherwise; I was happy to see Hurst return presuming he would tighten us up and grind out some wins. That has not happened either but we only know these things after the event.

If we get relegated with Hurst we should have made a change; if we don't congratulations to those who wanted him to stay. Football is all about opinions and long may it continue, but like everybody else, I am desperate to see the team turn it around.

You say that everything has gone against us - I'd argue that other results have gone for us in general, particularly the games in hand other clubs had over us.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, March 4, 2021, 11:03am; Reply: 153

I was reading this morning that Barnsley have won 6 in a row and have gone from looking over their shoulder to being on the verge of the play offs in the championship - this stuff happens!!

Not at Blundell Park it doesn't !

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 4, 2021, 11:13am; Reply: 154
Quoted from Tommy

But in recent weeks he's not telling enough of the firefighters to stand close enough to the fire. He's got most of them stood so far back that the water from their hose doesn't reach the burning building, so they've not got much chance of winning the battle.

Re-arrange/re-position some of the firefighters and we might give ourselves a chance.

Even though you've gone opposite to what i say, i love this.

And i find it hard to disagree with you
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 4, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 155
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Not at Blundell Park it doesn't !

[url=https://ibb.co/SQ8chtJ][img]https://i.ibb.co/yh1pw6V/Capture.jpg[/img][/url]

Not quite a run towards the play-offs, but it does happen at BP.  Look at the form prior to the last 5 games.  6 points from 20 games going into the final 5 games of the season.  We're 12 from our last 20 at the minute.  Granted it's still diabolical but it's not unheard of to turn it around.  
Posted by: ginnywings, March 4, 2021, 11:51am; Reply: 156
Quoted from oochiad
What worries me is setting up last Saturday without wingers, with Hanson and Payne on. How could that possibly work. Just plain ridiculous. Hurst needs to be questioned on his thinking there......

Without wanting to pick on you specifically, as there are plenty of other posts with the same theme, it always gives me a wry smile when fans question the decisions of a manager, and basically say that he doesn't know what he's doing and if only he would listen to the fans, who can absolutely see where he is going wrong, all would be right with the world.

Do said fans not think he might just have a bit more insight into what is more likely to work and what is less likely to work?

It's not the plans that are at fault, it's the implementation of those plans as far as I can tell. The players are just not doing the right things and yes, It's down to the manager to coach them to do the right things, but the best laid plans won't work if the players don't carry out the instructions in the correct manner.

From listening to PH, I think he is trying to grind out a few results and get a bit of a run going. He's mentioned Stevenage more than once and the way they have slowly but surely gathered momentum by first getting a few draws and eventually building confidence to start getting a win or two here and there. We have to start getting clean sheets and build from there, but fans just want wins and think we should be going gung ho, all out attack.

I don't expect that he will change his stance much until it becomes necessary to take more risks and we are not at that stage yet. Hurst has a certain way he does things, we know that and we knew it before he came back to the club. I'm sure he will be having sleepless nights thinking about what he can do to change things and we just have to trust that he gets it right.

Yes it's dull, yes it's boring, yes it's scary because it isn't working, but he's shown in the past more than once that he knows how to get results. The fear is that we simply haven't got the requisite players to achieve it, despite his recruitment, because I doubt he got the players in that he wanted. We are just not attractive enough to get them at the moment.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 4, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 157
We need to stop playing the firefighters who don't have arms.
Posted by: DB, March 4, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from ska face

We have got one of the better managers over the years because Fenty always choose the cheap option.
Posted by: oochiad, March 4, 2021, 12:27pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from ginnywings

Without wanting to pick on you specifically, as there are plenty of other posts with the same theme, it always gives me a wry smile when fans question the decisions of a manager, and basically say that he doesn't know what he's doing and if only he would listen to the fans, who can absolutely see where he is going wrong, all would be right with the world.

Do said fans not think he might just have a bit more insight into what is more likely to work and what is less likely to work?

It's not the plans that are at fault, it's the implementation of those plans as far as I can tell. The players are just not doing the right things and yes, It's down to the manager to coach them to do the right things, but the best laid plans won't work if the players don't carry out the instructions in the correct manner.

From listening to PH, I think he is trying to grind out a few results and get a bit of a run going. He's mentioned Stevenage more than once and the way they have slowly but surely gathered momentum by first getting a few draws and eventually building confidence to start getting a win or two here and there. We have to start getting clean sheets and build from there, but fans just want wins and think we should be going gung ho, all out attack.

I don't expect that he will change his stance much until it becomes necessary to take more risks and we are not at that stage yet. Hurst has a certain way he does things, we know that and we knew it before he came back to the club. I'm sure he will be having sleepless nights thinking about what he can do to change things and we just have to trust that he gets it right.

Yes it's dull, yes it's boring, yes it's scary because it isn't working, but he's shown in the past more than once that he knows how to get results. The fear is that we simply haven't got the requisite players to achieve it, despite his recruitment, because I doubt he got the players in that he wanted. We are just not attractive enough to get them at the moment.

All of what you say ginnywings is fair enough andIm not professing to know the answers to success but how could that situation I describe possibly work? And also if what you say is the way Hurst is hoping to achieve anything well it certainly didn’t work did it. Only way the wingers were put on later in the game did we possibly look like getting anywhere near to a goal. I would like Hurst to at least explain his decision as I’m truly at a loss. I really do hope he sorts this, I certainly don’t want him to fail and I was all for his reinstatement. I am having my doubts bow though...... everything crossed for our future in the league🤞🤞🤞🤞
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 4, 2021, 12:28pm; Reply: 160
I think Tuesday was one of those games where the team could have done with a restless crowd in. Whilst the collective first half performance was sub standard, there were individuals who didn't look bothered and, as PH knows, you don't get away with that if there's fans in.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 4, 2021, 12:38pm; Reply: 161
Burton were well adrift recently at the bottom of Div 1, in fact gone for a burton.

In comes Hasselbank and they have continued to win for fun.   Last weekend they moved out of the bottom 4.  Not sure how all this happened.  Football is a confidence game.  Maybe he is more of a motivator and inspirational leader than Hurst?

We have a couple of games in hand on one main rival.  As Chesterfield found, this is not the same as having points on the board.  Playing catch-up games at the end of the season, twice a week, can also be very tiring.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 4, 2021, 12:41pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from ginnywings

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Posted by: DB, March 4, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 163
I think we have looked at this thread from every possible angle. I have never been in favour of a manager-go-round. I look at Fergy, Shankly and others at Liverpool. Stability is the key on the field so players know what is expected of them and including incoming ones.

We haven't had any stability for ages, 2/3 years at the most over the last decades. I honestly think long term PH would be a good option but it is NOW that we need leadership. When he was appointed posters say it was with the approval of the consortium! Or another Fenty cheap option, or that he asked for the job!  We don't and probably will never know. As far as I know their were no other names in the frame, why?

Was he able to bring in the players he wanted or have we got his 3rd or 4th rate option, given his post match comment. Again we don't and will never know. Day said said money wasn't a problem and we have got quantity, but looking at them have we got quality. Was there any money in real terms or was it a media smoke screen.

As far as the team goes we have what we have and it is up to the manager to get the best out of them. As for results, preferably a win but a draw is acceptable, and yes I do accept we will not win every match. We don't need attractive football, possession football, play out from the back or long ball. Points is all we need.

Their is sufficient games left to achieve league status but i think it has to be with a new manager. Hurst, as much as I think he is a good manager, from his post match interview seems to have lost, or never had,  the dressing room. For me the Cowley Bothers would be ideal and a long term option, regardless of their cost.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 4, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 164
Quoted from DB
I think we have looked at this thread from every possible angle. I have never been in favour of a manager-go-round. I look at Fergy, Shankly and others at Liverpool. Stability is the key on the field so players know what is expected of them and including incoming ones.

We haven't had any stability for ages, 2/3 years at the most over the last decades. I honestly think long term PH would be a good option but it is NOW that we need leadership. When he was appointed posters say it was with the approval of the consortium! Or another Fenty cheap option, or that he asked for the job!  We don't and probably will never know. As far as I know their were no other names in the frame, why?

Was he able to bring in the players he wanted or have we got his 3rd or 4th rate option, given his post match comment. Again we don't and will never know. Day said said money wasn't a problem and we have got quantity, but looking at them have we got quality. Was there any money in real terms or was it a media smoke screen.

As far as the team goes we have what we have and it is up to the manager to get the best out of them. As for results, preferably a win but a draw is acceptable, and yes I do accept we will not win every match. We don't need attractive football, possession football, play out from the back or long ball. Points is all we need.

Their is sufficient games left to achieve league status but i think it has to be with a new manager. Hurst, as much as I think he is a good manager, from his post match interview seems to have lost, or never had,  the dressing room. For me the Cowley Bothers would be ideal and a long term option, regardless of their cost.

Even if Hurst was sacked the Cowley's wouldn't come here. They're sat on their pay off from Huddersfield and will be waiting for an opportunity to take on a bigger club (than us) that will be relatively easy to put on an upward trajectory.
Posted by: Tommy, March 4, 2021, 1:26pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from Abdul19
We need to stop playing the firefighters who don't have arms.

At least it makes a change from playing with footballers who's legs have gone. 😉
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, March 4, 2021, 1:40pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from ginnywings

Excellent post Ginny. I know we haven't always been in alignment over Hurst and to be quite honest I expected a better, more organised team under his charge. The performances so far haven't improved on the shambles he inherited and I get the strong feeling the players are utterly devoid of any self belief.

Like you, I have almost become emotionally detached as relegation is looking an odds-on certainty, unless the players can be somehow injected with that elusive ingredient that every professional sportsman needs - confidence.

I don't think getting rid of Hurst is the answer because right now it would be almost impossible to recruit someone half-decent to take control of this basket-case of a team. Pretty much in exactly the same way as it's been almost impossible to attract half-decent players to come here. Who in their right mind would take up employment at Grimsby Town Football Club? I think if we're brutally honest we all know the answer to that question.

I hate to say it but we might just have to take a deep breath and accept the inevitable - unless something miraculous happens over the next 2 months.

Posted by: devs, March 4, 2021, 1:54pm; Reply: 167
I think the fact there has been no manager bounce says a helluva lot more about squad than PH
Listen/read about most of 2016 team and how much they wanted to play for PH - they were a great bunch of pros

He's inherited a excrement show - and the work he is doing now should be done in the summer/early part of a season
EG: Players gelling/systems etc

He's having to do it in the face of relegation threat

I am a big PH fan - but think he defo got it wrong Tuesday and we should always play with two up top
The ball didn't stick - I think Payne was one of the 'not trying' too hard he referred to - hence the ball just keeps coming back wave after wave

We do need to 'keep us shape' but part of that is two up top

sadly, I think it's all too little too late to save us
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 4, 2021, 2:27pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from devs
I think the fact there has been no manager bounce says a helluva lot more about squad than PH
Listen/read about most of 2016 team and how much they wanted to play for PH - they were a great bunch of pros

He's inherited a excrement show - and the work he is doing now should be done in the summer/early part of a season

I am a big PH fan - but think he defo got it wrong Tuesday and we should always play with two up top
The ball didn't stick - I think Payne was one of the 'not trying' too hard he referred to - hence the ball just keeps coming back wave after wave

This is becoming my mantra on here: 17 games to go, 50+ points available, 4 points adrift but with 2 games in hand.

The fat lady is not singing. She hasn't cleared her throat. In fact, she's still at the hotel washing her hair and wondering what to wear.
Posted by: Zmariner, March 4, 2021, 3:21pm; Reply: 169

This is becoming my mantra on here: 17 games to go, 50+ points available, 4 points adrift but with 2 games in hand.

The fat lady is not singing. She hasn't cleared her throat. In fact, she's still at the hotel washing her hair and wondering what to wear.

Any chance that she will be fit to play up front on Saturday?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 4, 2021, 3:35pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from Zmariner

Any chance that she will be fit to play up front on Saturday?

Ha! A fox in the box....
Posted by: DB, March 4, 2021, 4:06pm; Reply: 171

Even if Hurst was sacked the Cowley's wouldn't come here. They're sat on their pay off from Huddersfield and will be waiting for an opportunity to take on a bigger club (than us) that will be relatively easy to put on an upward trajectory.

Ask them how much, and then when.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 4, 2021, 4:36pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from devs

The thing is he has virtually got rid of the so called excrement show and brought in 11 new players some he already knew.

Sadly the players he has brought in are looking worse than some he refuses to play and added to that playing one up front and probably hoping to hang on and snatch a win is just stupid as our defence just isn't good enough to go 90 minutes without conceding in most ganes. Plus he is now suggesting some of the players he has brought in are not up for the fight.

He has clearly got his recruitment and tactics wrong and must change starting Saturday.

Some say it is mad "rolling the dice" on a new manager but we are taking a huge risk letting him stay and continue in the way he has so far.

Let's not forget just how bad it was under Holloway but currently we are performing worse under Hurst.

Plus if you think it is too late for him to save us, why not just give someone else a try.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, March 4, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 173
It's been mentioned on this thread and others that we should have been buying players in January.  I was under the impression that we weren't permitted to pay any transfer fees this season under the terms of the Premier League bailout, we could only sign free agents or Bosmans (or loans of course).  Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.  

So Hurst was extemely limited in who he could sign and he, by and large, went for players he thought he could trust, eg Payne and LJL who helped his Shrewsbury side stay up.  

If we were to sack him, we'd have to fall back on Davies and Moore realistically.  We've got a much better chance under Hurst, no doubt about that for me.

ps Those who keep calling for the Cowleys are utterly deluded over our relative status.  

**EDIT**
Sources:
https://eminetra.co.uk/leagues-1-and-2-were-banned-from-paying-transfer-fees-in-january-under-prems-250m-bailout/143100/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9016199/League-One-Two-clubs-bailed-Premier-League-limited-free-transfers.html

Should we stay up, we'll also be limited to spending £10,000 on transfer fees next season.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 4, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from MarinerDevil
It's been mentioned on this thread and others that we should have been buying players in January.  I was under the impression that we weren't permitted to pay any transfer fees this season under the terms of the Premier League bailout, we could only sign free agents or Bosmans (or loans of course).  Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.  

So Hurst was extemely limited in who he could sign and he, by and large, went for players he thought he could trust, eg Payne and LJL who helped his Shrewsbury side stay up.  

If we were to sack him, we'd have to fall back on Davies and Moore realistically.  We've got a much better chance under Hurst, no doubt about that for me.

ps Those who keep calling for the Cowleys are utterly deluded over our relative status.  

That's just reminded me of something the chairman said before Christmas

That we were very close to the salary cap....

What's the situation now?

Did it mean that Hurst had to do his wheeling and dealing with one hand tied behind his back?

It might explain why some of his signings haven't come off as he would have hoped for.... a bit like buying cheaper own branded goods from the shops instead of the real thing ( Roller Cola for example )

Posted by: arryarryarry, March 4, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from 123614

Stop being a male masturbator.

I for one don't hate Hurst, I know for a fact he is a very nice bloke and much more respected by staff at the club than Jolley ever was, I just don't rate him as a manager, I didn't when he was here before and certainly considering his recruitment and performances up to date I don't now.
Posted by: DB, March 4, 2021, 5:08pm; Reply: 176
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Sticking your head in the sand and doing nothing is being deluded hoping against hope that things will improve following the last 3 crap games. Doing nothing is no longer an option.

Wanting something better than what we have is looking to the future, being optimistic and positive. 9 games since January for 27 points and we got 4. Deluded is accepting that this is good enough, relying on trusted players when LJL hasn't started a game.

Hurst is a decent manager, as I have all ready posted but I cannot see him, with his current tactics keeping us up. The Cowleys have a very good track record at this level and as another thread suggests the income loss in the NL is unthinkable. £200k each to keep us up, money well spent, and a cheaper option than the NL.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, March 4, 2021, 5:27pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from DB
£200k each to keep us up, money well spent, and a cheaper option than the NL.

If think they'll want more than £200k to walk away from their comfy Huddersfield payoff and risk a relegation back to non-league at a club widely known for being mismanaged and chronically underfunded.  Whatever we offer them, someone will have offered more and they have turned it down.  They'll go to a L1 club they can realistically improve.  It will take a few years of hopefully good management and investment by the consortium to make managers of that calibre believe in our 'project'.  

Also I'm not rolling over and accepting our situation, far from it.  Another relegation will probably mean that Town will have been in non-league for the majority of my life supporting them.  That's pretty depressing.  This mess started long ago and will not be resolved by hoping to chuck non-existent funds at managers or players that we might have been able to attract when we were in the Championship; but that was a long, long time ago in the footballing world.  I want to be back there as much as anyone, it just depresses me how many people seem to live in a reality in which we're still that club.  
Posted by: DB, March 4, 2021, 6:04pm; Reply: 178
Quoted from MarinerDevil

If think they'll want more than £200k to walk away from their comfy Huddersfield payoff and risk a relegation back to non-league at a club widely known for being mismanaged and chronically underfunded.  Whatever we offer them, someone will have offered more and they have turned it down.  They'll go to a L1 club they can realistically improve.  It will take a few years of hopefully good management and investment by the consortium to make managers of that calibre believe in our 'project'.  

Also I'm not rolling over and accepting our situation, far from it.  Another relegation will probably mean that Town will have been in non-league for the majority of my life supporting them.  That's pretty depressing.  This mess started long ago and will not be resolved by hoping to chuck non-existent funds at managers or players that we might have been able to attract when we were in the Championship; but that was a long, long time ago in the footballing world.  I want to be back there as much as anyone, it just depresses me how many people seem to live in a reality in which we're still that club.  

According to another thread it cost Town about £4.5 million in the NL. £500K each, still a cheap option.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 4, 2021, 6:10pm; Reply: 179
I've just rung Danny Cowley and asked him if he'd take over at Town. Offered him half a mill to keep us up. Told me he was washing his hair.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 4, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 180
I've just rung Danny Cowley and asked him if he'd take over at Town. Offered him half a mill to keep us up. Told me he was washing his hair.

You sure that  wasn't Danny Cowlick  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, March 4, 2021, 6:17pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That's just reminded me of something the chairman said before Christmas

That we were very close to the salary cap....

What's the situation now?

Did it mean that Hurst had to do his wheeling and dealing with one hand tied behind his back?

It might explain why some of his signings haven't come off as he would have hoped for.... a bit like buying cheaper own branded goods from the shops instead of the real thing ( Roller Cola for example )

That's been binned hasn't it?
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 4, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 182
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Why would they have to walk away from their Huddersfield pay-off? Surely the contract they had there has frig all to do with getting another job, unless you are privy to their pay-off?
Posted by: MarinerDevil, March 4, 2021, 6:53pm; Reply: 183
Quoted from arryarryarry
Why would they have to walk away from their Huddersfield pay-off? Surely the contract they had there has frig all to do with getting another job, unless you are privy to their pay-off?

Obviously not privy to anything, but manager contracts are usually paid until they get another job.  I think Premier League managers may get a better deal but most clubs won't want to pay anyone to manage another team.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 4, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 184
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Obviously not privy to anything, but manager contracts are usually paid until they get another job.  I think Premier League managers may get a better deal but most clubs won't want to pay anyone to manage another team.

Where I worked if someone was entitled to 6 months notice in their contract they got it, didn't stop them getting another job.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), March 4, 2021, 7:06pm; Reply: 185
Quoted from arryarryarry

The thing is he has virtually got rid of the so called excrement show and brought in 11 new players some he already knew.

Sadly the players he has brought in are looking worse than some he refuses to play and added to that playing one up front and probably hoping to hang on and snatch a win is just stupid as our defence just isn't good enough to go 90 minutes without conceding in most ganes. Plus he is now suggesting some of the players he has brought in are not up for the fight.

He has clearly got his recruitment and tactics wrong and must change starting Saturday.

Some say it is mad "rolling the dice" on a new manager but we are taking a huge risk letting him stay and continue in the way he has so far.

Let's not forget just how bad it was under Holloway but currently we are performing worse under Hurst.

Plus if you think it is too late for him to save us, why not just give someone else a try.

Why do many posters say 'PH got his recruitment wrong', when he can only sign those who WANT to sign for us?

Posted by: DB, March 4, 2021, 7:28pm; Reply: 186

Better give his phone number to Hursty, he can do with some tips before FGR game.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 4, 2021, 7:35pm; Reply: 187
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Swann definitely stated that Scunny were still paying PH till he took the Town job.
Posted by: Humbercod, March 4, 2021, 7:36pm; Reply: 188
Quoted from 123614

Why do many posters say 'PH got his recruitment wrong', when he can only sign those who WANT to sign for us?

If you was a golfer with a full bag of cheap shitty clubs but they got you around the course, and you couldn’t  afford the better ones, if given the chance would you-
A. swap them for full bag of even shittier clubs just because they’re available?
B. Play with what you already have?
Posted by: DB, March 4, 2021, 7:39pm; Reply: 189
Quoted from 123614

Anybody is better than nobody
Somebody is better than anybody
Nobody has to be better than somebody

Which is what we have, out goes oloways 11 and income Hurst's 11. No improvement no change.
Posted by: HerveJosse, March 4, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 190
Welcome. A confusing feature for me is that when we take in players from a higher level they start of looking much better then what we already have and four or five games layer look very ordinary. Examples are Windsor under Holloway and now Matete and Adams unde Hurst .This would suggest that whatever problems there are within the club continue to run deep and a change of manager hasn’t solved the problem
Posted by: RonMariner, March 4, 2021, 11:34pm; Reply: 191
Quoted from HerveJosse
Welcome. A confusing feature for me is that when we take in players from a higher level they start of looking much better then what we already have and four or five games layer look very ordinary. Examples are Windsor under Holloway and now Matete and Adams unde Hurst .This would suggest that whatever problems there are within the club continue to run deep and a change of manager hasn’t solved the problem

It must have to do with how you set the team up. Square pegs in rounds holes and all that.

To get the best out of players you must play to their strengths, play them in their natural position, and organise the team well.

I sometimes think that players need a very straightforward and simple role that they can easily understand.   Messing around with different formations, 5-3-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-3-3,etc may well just confuse the hell out of them.  I may be an old dinosaur, but I never felt there was much wrong with 4-4-2.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 4, 2021, 11:59pm; Reply: 192
Quoted from ginnywings

That's been binned hasn't it?

May well have been Ginny - guess I must have missed that if so
Posted by: Quagmire, March 6, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 193
Results worse, league position worse, failed to do what he was brought in to do.

Got to go, Hurst Out
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 6, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 194
Goodbye Hurst, don't forget to tell Doig you've been booted out!..I honestly believe we have regressed.
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), March 6, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 195
Never-mind Paul, can we still put the whole squad on furlough and put out a pub team to save some cash for next season?
Posted by: gytone, March 6, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 196
I was prepared to give him until the summer, but not now he has to go. Give a new manager time to get to know the club, get players in line for next year and rebuild with a new board, hopefully 🤞and try to take the National league by storm.
Posted by: Azimuth, March 6, 2021, 6:52pm; Reply: 197
I didnt want him before he came and want him even less now.
Posted by: Vance Warner, March 6, 2021, 7:23pm; Reply: 198
Who exactly is going to come here as manager? We’re bottom of League 2 FFS. If you think Dave Moore or Ben Davies are better managers than Paul Hurst then you need to give your head a wobble. Don’t give it all that passion about the club bollox either as I genuinely believe Hurst’s heart is in it. This is a man who nearly got the Bradford job and chose to come to us. Sacking him would be madness and would not only seal our fate for this season but for next season as well.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 6, 2021, 7:43pm; Reply: 199
Quoted from Vance Warner
Who exactly is going to come here as manager? We’re bottom of League 2 FFS. If you think Dave Moore or Ben Davies are better managers than Paul Hurst then you need to give your head a wobble. Don’t give it all that passion about the club bollox either as I genuinely believe Hurst’s heart is in it. This is a man who nearly got the Bradford job and chose to come to us. Sacking him would be madness and would not only seal our fate for this season but for next season as well.

Nearly got the Bradford job and "chose" to come here...I don't think that's right, he applied for that job and didn't get it..we were his second choice, probably only choice imo, just like our squad, second rate players.
Posted by: Vance Warner, March 6, 2021, 7:46pm; Reply: 200
Put it this way if we sack him now he’ll be back in the football league before we are.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 6, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 201
Quoted from Vance Warner
Put it this way if we sack him now he’ll be back in the football league before we are.

I don't think he will, his stock was low before he joined us and if we sack him it will be through the floor
Posted by: essexexile, March 6, 2021, 8:54pm; Reply: 202
Quoted from It Bites
I have to agree . It's a basket case club that needs a serious reboot

So why is a comment like that in this thread? This ‘basket case club’ is
nothing to do with Paul Hurst he’s the poor sod trying to save it
It’s a basket case club cos of the mismanagement lack of investment over the past 20 years and your misguided remark needs to be redirected, ‘Fenty out’ is where it belongs and just think what £2.5m could have bought us, League 2 footy?
Just shows you where some people’s priorities lay

Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 6, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 203
Up until today my view was that he’s inherited a sh1t show and doing what he can as there wouldn’t have been too many queuing to join a sinking ship in the transfer window.

I’m not a football manager and in reality know f**k all about formations etc.. but he does seem to be making some odd decisions like today when he sent Bunny on.

I’d like to see him stay and rebuild as experience at that level seems vital and if nothing else because I’m sick of manager change after manager change but I reckon he’ll need a fighting finish to the season to keep his job.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, March 6, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 204
The fault lies at the feet of one person for the last 20 years this club was going no where held up with a bamboo stick mentality  in other words no investment, and real intention to do it, No forward thinking , league football on the cheap

I wonder if anyone actually thought we were progress under the current regime ? letting your best players go season season  is a recipe for disaster which is what we are facing now. The only consolation is the new Owners a new Mind Set and a new Vision
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 6, 2021, 11:07pm; Reply: 205
Hurst didn’t have a lot to do in half a season just to preserve our FL status . He’s completely fooked it up . Fenty is the cancer but the results of the team hurst has assembled have been pathetic . I just pray the new owners have a plan for next season that don’t include hurst or any of the current squad
Posted by: DB, March 7, 2021, 6:37am; Reply: 206
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Nearly got the Bradford job and "chose" to come here...I don't think that's right, he applied for that job and didn't get it..we were his second choice, probably only choice imo, just like our squad, second rate players.

Wish we had some second rate players
Posted by: RonMariner, March 7, 2021, 9:36pm; Reply: 207
Cant argue with what many are saying is where the true fault lays. We are where we are because of Fenty and it was always going to be a struggle to keep us up.

That said, I expected rather more from Hurst. I thought he would shore up the defence and make us hard to beat. I thought we would be clocking up several draws and nicking a few 1-0 wins.

I never imagined he would take us down to the bottom, five points adrift. 4 points from 10 games is just abysmal.
Posted by: Macca_D, March 9, 2021, 2:04pm; Reply: 208
Yup Hurst out!!!!
Posted by: fishcake63, March 9, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 209
We are too easy to score against but it's all round the pitch where we are weak not just defensivly , the wide areas in particular have been weak all season with far too many balls into our box , for me if we lose next two & then at barrow the game is up simple as that , then the new owners have a difficult choice stick or twist , i'v got my own thought's on that let's see how tonight pans out first though.
Posted by: Mariner_501, March 9, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 210
Just leave Hurst
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 9, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 211
He's got to go, cost us 3 points tonight..just reminds me of Chester...2-0 up, there for the taking and goes negative, enough now just f#ck off Hurst!!
Posted by: DB, March 9, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 212
Useless tactics again. Were winning comfortably and the at the end he puts subs on. HURST OUT NOW
Posted by: psgmariner, March 9, 2021, 9:08pm; Reply: 213
Think the penny has finally dropped.
Posted by: ska face, March 9, 2021, 9:25pm; Reply: 214
Quoted from psgmariner
Think the penny has finally dropped.

Very happy for you. Great news.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 9, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 215
Centre mid on for left winger, centre half on for midfielder, he had already worked out he would go 532 at the end, 15 mins before he did. Negative,negartive negative >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :o
Posted by: RonMariner, March 9, 2021, 9:32pm; Reply: 216
5 points from, 11 games.

Anyone think that merits him being in charge next season?

It will be  along stay in the NL if he is.
Posted by: DB, March 9, 2021, 9:33pm; Reply: 217
Managed 11 games with 33 pints at steak.
5 points gained
won 1
drawn 2
lost 8

How many more games does he not have to win before the sack????????????????????

HURST OUT
Posted by: DB, March 9, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 218
Would the red cross man explain his thoughts so us morons can understand. We didn't win, again
Posted by: tashee69, March 9, 2021, 9:44pm; Reply: 219
Thought it was a decent performance tonight ruined by a manager who pressed the self destruct button when it mattered. Our weakness is letting teams attack us, we struggle to defend, so why do it ???
Posted by: denni266, March 9, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 220
We cannot afford to keep hurst in charge any longer  . Just sack him now tonight
Posted by: Bawmariner, March 9, 2021, 9:52pm; Reply: 221
Quoted from DB
Would the red cross man explain his thoughts so us morons can understand. We didn't win, again

Didn't red cross you but can't see where else we go if we don't keep on with Hurst. No chance of getting more players in either. I can see why Hurst brought Waterfall on. They had tall players on the pitch and mostly looked a threat from long throws and crosses. Theses things happen even if they are gutting.
Posted by: DB, March 9, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 222
Quoted from Bawmariner

Didn't red cross you but can't see where else we go if we don't keep on with Hurst. No chance of getting more players in either. I can see why Hurst brought Waterfall on. They had tall players on the pitch and mostly looked a threat from long throws and crosses. Theses things happen even if they are gutting.

Thank you for your comments, it's nice to read an alternative viewpoint from someone who doesn't hide. I can understand what you are saying but we had been in that situation for over 90 mins.

The guys on the pitch are pumped up adrenalin flowing and then wham bag. It was Hurst's call and it cost 2 points
Posted by: RonMariner, March 10, 2021, 11:19am; Reply: 223
I don't get it. Given Hurst's mantra of 'keep us shape' why did he completely change 'us shape' in the dying minutes of a game were were in control of?

We should have kept Carlisle on the back foot in their own half. Not inviting them to have a go in our box.  
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 3:26am