Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 2, 2021, 9:51am
Died aged 82 after an illness. Another one gone.

Older fans will remember his playing days for a successful Liverpool team.  Also as the Saint and Greavsey comedy football show.

Famous anecdote is probably a sign outside a church in Liverpool “What shall we do when the Lord comes?”.

A wag added “Move St John to inside left’,
Posted by: DB, March 2, 2021, 10:12am; Reply: 1
It is very sad, another great footballer passed away. I will always remember him for his Saint and Greavsey programme. RIP
Posted by: Abdul19, March 2, 2021, 10:48am; Reply: 2
RIP Saint

Before my time as a player, but a great show in my yoof and I'll always remember this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRMJ3ftUtnw
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 2, 2021, 11:02am; Reply: 3
“Jesus saves”
‘St John scores from the rebound.”

RIP Saint. Shanks’ first really crucial signing.

Loved Saint and Greavesie, really innovative show and great fun, not like the po-faced PC lot we see now.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 2, 2021, 12:14pm; Reply: 4
RIP Saint not only a great player but a.Great comedy act with Greavsie .
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 2, 2021, 12:30pm; Reply: 5
Sad news . Loved St & Greavsie . Here’s a good clip

https://youtu.be/8lT7XjL5tko
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 2, 2021, 1:15pm; Reply: 6
Sad news. A very talented footballer in his day and Saint and Greavsie was a great programme.

RIP.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 2, 2021, 1:21pm; Reply: 7
RIP Saint.

I think Saint & Greavsie was the first of the laddish/banter football programmes that I can remember. Baddiel and Skinner on Fantasy Football used to do a funny skit on it. “St and Greavsie talk about the Endsleigh League like it’s important” in the early days of the Premier League.
Posted by: Zmariner, March 2, 2021, 1:55pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Sad news . Loved St & Greavsie . Here’s a good clip

https://youtu.be/8lT7XjL5tko

Just watched that clip, how good was that compared to the rubbish now. football commentary went down the tube as soon as Andy Gray got involved for me, it is theatre, entertainment (clearly with the exception of us)And the light-hearted side needs to remain. RIP Ian St John , loved your contribution utm
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, March 2, 2021, 2:33pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Zmariner
Just watched that clip, how good was that compared to the rubbish now. football commentary went down the tube as soon as Andy Gray got involved for me, it is theatre, entertainment (clearly with the exception of us)And the light-hearted side needs to remain. RIP Ian St John , loved your contribution utm
RIP Ian St John.

I don't think TV has been as good as it was since the 80s/90s in some respects. Aye, it was a shame that Saint & Greavsie got axed, I used to watch it every weekend as a kid with my dad. Can remember Grimsby Town been on it a few times.
Posted by: Mayaman, March 2, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Zmariner

It all got too technical and polished.  Imagine that own goal in the clip now.  We'd see it from loads of angles with lines all over the place. We don't need an overpaid expert to tell us it was shocking defending. (especially us Mariners fans).
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 3:02pm