Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Boris Johnson, February 24, 2021, 11:43am
Last night was appalling, again not able to recognise players, ridiculous awareness of positional play, time for change.
Posted by: Sandford1981, February 24, 2021, 11:48am; Reply: 1
It’s time you were replaced Boris!
Posted by: Sigone, February 24, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 2
To be fair to J.T how many new players has he had to get used to this season, I dont recognize half of them and its easier to see whos who on a t.v rather than being there.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, February 24, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Sigone
To be fair to J.T how many new players has he had to get used to this season, I dont recognize half of them and its easier to see whos who on a t.v rather than being there.

do your homework then, be prepared, no excuse
Posted by: drbell, February 24, 2021, 11:55am; Reply: 4
I think it would be enough for him to just to be given a live ifollow stream on a tablet. Its probably nicely just behind live, such that the team could get a near instant replay of anything.
Everyone watches at home on their big tvs, and the commentators have a poor view, 1 look at everything etc. Lets not forget Skys commentators have a variety of tools at their disposal.
Posted by: Sigone, February 24, 2021, 11:57am; Reply: 5
And how do you do your homework without actually seeing them, would think he can only go to watch training on media days only.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 24, 2021, 11:58am; Reply: 6
Think he's feeling the pressure, same as all other fans. Wearing his heart on his sleeve, and letting his frustrations get the better of him.

You only had to look on here and other social media platforms last night to gauge how stressed out the fans are. You'd have thought we had lost the game, the amount of bile flying around. The team is underperforming yet again, the new takeover is tantalisingly close and we are all confined to barracks, not being able to affect anything.
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 24, 2021, 11:58am; Reply: 7
I know he's a divisive figure, but I've always liked JT. Him and Croft are a good combo. You've only got to listen to some of the absolute garbage during our away games this season to know we've not got it bad.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 24, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 8
Easy to slate a guy that’s been doing radio commentary for years who has now been thrust into tv commentary all of a sudden.

It’s tough to listen to at times though, I don’t mind getting names wrong or whether it was a throw or not, I do mind hearing about the wind for 90 mins or that Barrow have won 30 seconds after we win ourselves.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, February 24, 2021, 12:09pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from pontoonlew
Easy to slate a guy that’s been doing radio commentary for years who has now been thrust into tv commentary all of a sudden.

It’s tough to listen to at times though, I don’t mind getting names wrong or whether it was a throw or not, I do mind hearing about the wind for 90 mins or that Barrow have won 30 seconds after we win ourselves.

??

not sure i see the problem. he is sat in the same spot he has always sat....if he is commentating basis watching the screen, surely its easier, im not so sure he isnt just radio broadcasting
Posted by: oochiad, February 24, 2021, 12:15pm; Reply: 10
Oh come on guys, he’s like Macca, past his best. It’s difficult enough watching town but with the added negativity and seeing things that don’t happen from JT are really spoiling the match experience for many people now. It’s mentioned by many on social media after every match so I think it’s definitely not just a few anymore......He has been a great in the past but now especially with the takeover happening I’d love to see a new young commentator taking up the helm......UTM
Posted by: Morris Minor, February 24, 2021, 12:22pm; Reply: 11
Where's Charles Ekburg?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 24, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Morris Minor
Where's Charles Ekburg?

In the mouth of the Humber.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, February 24, 2021, 12:27pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Morris Minor
Where's Charles Ekburg?

what Charles 'no one cares about Rugby League' Ekberg....

top bloke charlie
Posted by: meggietown, February 24, 2021, 12:28pm; Reply: 14
I had to turn the volume to mute last night.his commentry was horrendous last night.im afraid to say he should look at retiring from the microphone
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 24, 2021, 12:30pm; Reply: 15
I thought both Tondeur and Croft were far too critical of a lot of the players earlier in the season, especially Gibson who they seemed to have it in for.   But that's eased a bit and whilst still a bit dour and negative at times (aren't we all?) they've perked up a bit and tried to be more positive.

They're still commentating for radio.  It's a different kettle of fish altogether.  Doing it for radio you're trying to paint the full picture for everyone listening, you're literally the eyes of the listener.  When doing it for TV it's about accompanying the pictures and maybe adding a bit of context.    iFollow are picking up the Humberside feed, nothing more.  

What we've got is someone syncing the visual feed with the audio and hoping it works.  But it won't.  It would be like listening to a TV commentator without the actual visual feed, it would sound crap.   Whilst the sound is synced the best it can with the video, even the slightest delay will make it feel poor.  

Added to this Tondeur and Croft are sitting in a totally different position and angle to the camera feed.  They're going to see the game differently from us.  Yeah, it's annoying when they get players wrong but it's hardly a great view from the press box.  
Posted by: DB, February 24, 2021, 12:30pm; Reply: 16
He came out with one of his gems last night:-

We're commentating from our position in the main stand

Where else would you be I thought, you're always in the main stand!

It wasn't until very much later that I thought his comment could have been meant for any Crawley watching.

Another gem was at Colchester, the pitch had been cleared of snow and the match was underway. After about 20 mins. he said

There's snow on the far side of the pitch, which if you hadn't been watching, infers that it was snowing!

I think he does a reasonable job, drops the odd clanger which Crofty bails him out of. At the end of the day you don't know what you've got till it's gone, as the saying goes.
Posted by: pen penfras, February 24, 2021, 12:40pm; Reply: 17
His commentating is rubbish. I can't stand Burns, but when he's commentated, it's much more objective and coherent. The 3 times I've listened to the other team's commentary, it has been much better, although biased against us, than JT.
Posted by: thevera, February 24, 2021, 12:40pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Last night was appalling, again not able to recognise players, ridiculous awareness of positional play, time for change.

i only recognised two Hess and Tilley.
Posted by: Croxton, February 24, 2021, 12:46pm; Reply: 19
Stop feeding this Troll!  He reels you in times many. Like another episode of that Cornwall fishing programme.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 24, 2021, 12:51pm; Reply: 20
Try switching to the away commentary every now and  then you might just appreciate JT a little more.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 24, 2021, 1:00pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Croxton
Stop feeding this Troll!  He reels you in times many. Like another episode of that Cornwall fishing programme.

Sorry Croxton but maybe for the first time I agree with Boris. JT’s commentary on the radio is bad enough, think a thread earlier in the season questioned whether he should be replaced, but with live tv he’s just not good enough. The time to be replaced comes to us all eventually and time for a fresh voice IMO.

Posted by: Son of Cod, February 24, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 22
Imagine if we got rid of all the negative fans. The Fishy would have about 12 hits a day and we'd struggle to take double figure away followings. Do people think it's JT's job to sugar coat Town's existence for us?
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 24, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from pontoonlew

He is still just a radio commentator, all IFollow do is take the BBC's radio commentary he has no idea what the TV picture is.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 24, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 24
There's loads of games he hasn't done this season. Does anyone else think anyone else is better?

As others have said he is sat the other side of the ground from the camera looking from a completely different angle and doing radio commentary intended for people who can't see the game.
Posted by: Barrattstander, February 24, 2021, 1:25pm; Reply: 25
Perhaps there is a compromise and he could be sent "half away".

(100)
Posted by: buckstown, February 24, 2021, 1:29pm; Reply: 26
I like JT but he did have a bad night last night. On at least two occasions there was a break in commentary and when he “reappeared” he said the ref has given a free kick in a dangerous position but didn’t say who it was for!!
Is he doing the iFollow commentary as well? Dawned on me last night he might be doing radio commentary thinking everyone can see the game
Posted by: Boris Johnson, February 24, 2021, 1:29pm; Reply: 27
I dont know if Tondeur is actually employed by the BBC or if he is freelance, but this is a service that is provided by BBC Humberside, the standards are not acceptable. he has to go, and go NOW!
Posted by: Sandford1981, February 24, 2021, 1:35pm; Reply: 28
I dont know if Tondeur is actually employed by the BBC or if he is freelance, but this is a service that is provided by BBC Humberside, the standards are not acceptable. he has to go, and go NOW!

You really are a complete cretin!
Posted by: thefish, February 24, 2021, 1:41pm; Reply: 29
We won... what can we moan about?

Erm... got it, 'The Commentator'!

Maybe try throwing some praise at somebody...

Heck, I'll even start: Jake Eastwood looked fairly solid last night in what were very difficult conditions.
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 24, 2021, 1:49pm; Reply: 30
Shall we try and get the Morecambe lads in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l84iOUmxJV0&feature=emb_logo
Posted by: Abdul19, February 24, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from DB
He came out with one of his gems last night:-

We're commentating from our position in the main stand

Where else would you be I thought, you're always in the main stand!

It wasn't until very much later that I thought his comment could have been meant for any Crawley watching.

I think it was to clarify for anyone watching really - he's the opposite side to the camera.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 24, 2021, 2:02pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Croxton

I find it best to turn the telly off when that programme is on. I know otherwise that an hour will fly by.

It’s a shame we can’t switch Boris Johnson off.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 24, 2021, 2:07pm; Reply: 33
Like Tondeur but there’s no denying his commentary is regularly way off the mark. Like when waterfall tried tripping their guy when he got through and Tondeur said he thought it was a penalty, but the trip was clearly yards out of the box (you could have seen from the bottom row of the ponny). The other one that stood out was when they hit the bar and he was going on about it being a header when it was clearly a volley from waist height.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 24, 2021, 2:33pm; Reply: 34
We are progressing if the criticism is of JT rather than the team, manager, Board or Club.

He knows Town and is an experienced commentator.  His idiosyncrasies are part of him and following Town.  Many BBC and ITV broadcasters make big (funny) errors.

For Cup Soccer “Coc-k sucker”.

For organisms “Orgasms”.

For me, JT makes radio commentaries sound as though any Town possession in our own half is a direct and immediate threat to us conceding.  Gives you repeated anxiety and stress listening!

I want him to continue.  I am old enough to remember Charles Eckberg.  He would drive anyone potty!

Posted by: arryarryarry, February 24, 2021, 2:43pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from buckstown
I like JT but he did have a bad night last night. On at least two occasions there was a break in commentary and when he “reappeared” he said the ref has given a free kick in a dangerous position but didn’t say who it was for!!
Is he doing the iFollow commentary as well? Dawned on me last night he might be doing radio commentary thinking everyone can see the game

Like I have just mentioned in a previous post, JT is doing what he has always done, commentating for Radio Humberside it is just that the IFollow system takes his commentary live like it does for most of the EFL clubs that have IFollow.

He is working for the BBC as it is they that have banned commentators travelling to away games due to Covid so we have to listen to the home commentary for our away games.
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 24, 2021, 2:52pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

For me, JT makes radio commentaries sound as though any Town possession in our own half is a direct and immediate threat to us conceding.  Gives you repeated anxiety and stress listening!

Exactly. It's an accurate reflection of watching Town.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, February 24, 2021, 3:14pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We are progressing if the criticism is of JT rather than the team, manager, Board or Club.

He knows Town and is an experienced commentator.  His idiosyncrasies are part of him and following Town.  Many BBC and ITV broadcasters make big (funny) errors.

For Cup Soccer “Coc-k sucker”.

For organisms “Orgasms”.

I want him to continue.  I am old enough to remember Charles Eckberg.  He would drive anyone potty!

his commentary is not of a required standard he is lazy, and does not have  enough knowledge. He has plenty of time to do research, and he does not do it. Whatever he is earning for a living, its tantamount to theft.  Out and Out Now!
Posted by: sam gy, February 24, 2021, 3:18pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from oochiad
He has been a great in the past but now especially with the takeover happening I’d love to see a new young commentator taking up the helm......UTM

What has the takeover got to do with anything? He's a commentator for BBC Humberside, he is not employed by the club in any way shape or form.

Must admit, i do find it amusing when everyone bangs on about how negative he's being, when we're literally the worst, or now second worst team in the whole football league and have been losing week in week out. What do you expect!
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 24, 2021, 3:24pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from GrimRob
There's loads of games he hasn't done this season. Does anyone else think anyone else is better?

As others have said he is sat the other side of the ground from the camera looking from a completely different angle and doing radio commentary intended for people who can't see the game.

The guy who did Cheltenham and Orient away was brilliant to be fair (the results probably helped).

I really enjoy listening when Martin Gritton is co-commentator, properly knowledgeable and likeable. The fact that he seems so invested in Town despite no obvious connection aside from playing for us for a couple of seasons is a credit to him.
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 24, 2021, 3:27pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from pontoonlew

The guy who did Cheltenham and Orient away was brilliant to be fair (the results probably helped).

I really enjoy listening when Martin Gritton is co-commentator, properly knowledgeable and likeable. The fact that he seems so invested in Town despite no obvious connection aside from playing for us for a couple of seasons is a credit to him.

Yeah Martin Gritton is good, always enjoy his co-comms when he does it.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 24, 2021, 3:42pm; Reply: 41

his commentary is not of a required standard he is lazy, and does not have  enough knowledge. He has plenty of time to do research, and he does not do it. Whatever he is earning for a living, its tantamount to theft.  Out and Out Now!

Oh do shut up for once Boris, your constant deriding of people is now beyond tedious. Calling for a person to get the sack purely because he makes the odd ba!!s up is out of order, try Prozac, it may help!..
Posted by: DB, February 24, 2021, 3:56pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from arryarryarry

Like I have just mentioned in a previous post, JT is doing what he has always done, commentating for Radio Humberside it is just that the IFollow system takes his commentary live like it does for most of the EFL clubs that have IFollow.

He is working for the BBC as it is they that have banned commentators travelling to away games due to Covid so we have to listen to the home commentary for our away games.

Agree with what you say but we are paying for RH with our TV licence. We also pay £10 for iFollow so we should get an excellent professional service. Not a heath robinson one.
Posted by: Sandford1981, February 24, 2021, 4:12pm; Reply: 43
I’m not Tondeurs biggest fan and often get frustrated by his commentary. But I also get frustrated by the majority of modern commentary teams out there.

Constant and inane chatter filled with self importance and ‘banter’ has no place while the football is on (if that makes me a dinosaur-so be it).

However I’m sure there is at least 1 thread on here already with people airing their grievances about JT.

At the end of the day if it bothers you THAT much, at least in the short term, do as I do and press the mute button.

Posted by: oochiad, February 24, 2021, 4:19pm; Reply: 44
His account of Waterfall nearly giving away a penalty when it was yards from the box and he did what we all expected him to do, was typical of his negative and wrong description of the match. It happens all the time. I’m not asking for much just someone who could comment on the match accurately, visually and with a level of balanced view. “And again” is his most used opener to a negative slagging off of one of our players and this season he has the name wrong nine times out of ten. You can’t deny it, it happens. It’s all about opinions of course but you read about it now on all the different media platforms that people are sick of it now. If your not watching live and just listen to the radio, your not getting a proper description of what’s happening and that’s the point surely.....
Posted by: Rick12, February 24, 2021, 4:21pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from diehardmariner
I thought both Tondeur and Croft were far too critical of a lot of the players earlier in the season, especially Gibson who they seemed to have it in for.   But that's eased a bit and whilst still a bit dour and negative at times (aren't we all?) they've perked up a bit and tried to be more positive.
Yes . He's got something as otherwise wouldnt be in the job for as long as he has but  Tondeur can have a negative bias to players not just Gibson but others in the past who have worn the shirt.

Posted by: GrimRob, February 24, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 46
The Morecambe game I was forced to listen to the away commentary (no alternative was available to me) and it was so bad I muted it. They were droning on about lots of irrelevant stuff like it was Test Match Special and barely mentioned the game for long periods.
Posted by: Sandford1981, February 24, 2021, 5:11pm; Reply: 47
Get this lad in. He’d be splendid and tremendous!

https://youtu.be/Xhlx43rTs2Q
Posted by: moosey_club, February 24, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from oochiad
His account of Waterfall nearly giving away a penalty when it was yards from the box and he did what we all expected him to do, was typical of his negative and wrong description of the match. It happens all the time. I’m not asking for much just someone who could comment on the match accurately, visually and with a level of balanced view. “And again” is his most used opener to a negative slagging off of one of our players and this season he has the name wrong nine times out of ten. You can’t deny it, it happens. It’s all about opinions of course but you read about it now on all the different media platforms that people are sick of it now. If your not watching live and just listen to the radio, your not getting a proper description of what’s happening and that’s the point surely.....

This.
I think last night he even confused Waterfall and Mayenese on one clearance.

I watch most games and family/ friends who dont watch but listen to RH text me worried or anxious based on the commentary alone , whilst we havnt been great admittedly there have been plenty of times where the wrong picture has been painted. My own pet hate..." Rose passes to Adams ....but Adams doesnt quite get there " ...when watching the game you see the pass was overhit or miles off the intended target so no suprise he didnt get there..... but JT makes it sound like the receiver hasnt done enough.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, February 24, 2021, 5:58pm; Reply: 49
Frankly, I find some of the comments on this thread embarrassing, offensive and hypocritical.

Many of you post about the importance of mental health and bullying, yet on this thread, and the match threads from last night, some of the language directed towards Town players and John (Tondeur) is unacceptable.

Tondeur has a certain style. He is a Town fan and does get genuinely scared whenever the opposition gets beyond the halfway line. Personally, I would rather have a commentator with character than some robotic doublespeaker from the North Bank.

The time will come when John does have to drop the mic forever but that is for him and his employer to make that decision.

Turning to last night’s match, if you are a footballer, you know when you are playing badly. The more you try, often the worse you play. No matter what you think of Paul Hurst, he is an experienced player and manager and will be perfectly capable of registering if a player is struggling or out of form.

We don’t know on fitness levels of the players on the pitch or those on the bench. There are often reasons why certain substitutions are made and the reasons for them are based on information we are not privy to.

I know we all care about the club, probably too much, but I never understand why there is a need to create a scapegoat. It’s unhealthy for you, it’s unhealthy for the player and it’s unhealthy for the club.

The current squad has been thrown together in a rush and will be short of match practice. It wasn’t a great performance last night but if it has stopped the rot and provided a boost in confidence, performances might improve. It’s going to be tough but we are far from down yet.

Some of you will say I am a hypocrite because of my recent ‘abuse’ of JSF, and you may (lower case) have a point but...

If you don’t like a certain player, chances are neither does the manager and they won’t stick around long.

If you don’t like a certain commentator, you can press mute.

Unfortunately, if a majority shareholder (and multi-millionaire) has sucked virtually all of the joy out of supporting your club, belittled the fans and [censored - defamation], you have to pray for a miracle to finally, hopefully, dislodge them.

That day has almost arrived, so UTM and use your Trust vote carefully

986 words
Posted by: grimps, February 24, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 50
He’s the sound track of some of the best away games I listened to on my youth , he’s a legend and irreplaceable in my opinion
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 24, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 51
FFS no. Also I think Crofty is a really good summariser his analysis of the game is really insightful.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, February 24, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 52
Our friend Philippe should commentate after all he’ll have nothing to do next season with his best mate having sailed into the sunset....
Posted by: DB, February 24, 2021, 7:06pm; Reply: 53
Frankly, I find some of the comments on this thread embarrassing, offensive and hypocritical.

Many of you post about the importance of mental health and bullying, yet on this thread, and the match threads from last night, some of the language directed towards Town players and John (Tondeur) is unacceptable.

Tondeur has a certain style. He is a Town fan and does get genuinely scared whenever the opposition gets beyond the halfway line. Personally, I would rather have a commentator with character than some robotic doublespeaker from the North Bank.

The time will come when John does have to drop the mic forever but that is for him and his employer to make that decision.

Turning to last night’s match, if you are a footballer, you know when you are playing badly. The more you try, often the worse you play. No matter what you think of Paul Hurst, he is an experienced player and manager and will be perfectly capable of registering if a player is struggling or out of form.

We don’t know on fitness levels of the players on the pitch or those on the bench. There are often reasons why certain substitutions are made and the reasons for them are based on information we are not privy to.

I know we all care about the club, probably too much, but I never understand why there is a need to create a scapegoat. It’s unhealthy for you, it’s unhealthy for the player and it’s unhealthy for the club.

The current squad has been thrown together in a rush and will be short of match practice. It wasn’t a great performance last night but if it has stopped the rot and provided a boost in confidence, performances might improve. It’s going to be tough but we are far from down yet.

Some of you will say I am a hypocrite because of my recent ‘abuse’ of JSF, and you may (lower case) have a point but...

If you don’t like a certain player, chances are neither does the manager and they won’t stick around long.

Unfortunately, if a majority shareholder (and multi-millionaire) has sucked virtually all of the joy out of supporting your club, belittled the fans and [censored - defamation], you have to pray for a miracle to finally, hopefully, dislodge them.

986 words

I have a lot of sympathy with your 986 words KAFV. I don't think that we should criticise JT to the extent of him loosing his job, however justifiable criticism about some of his commentaries is acceptable.

With regard to your protection of Hursty  and the players I can see your point. Hurst is no fool though and should know how to get the best out the players. This group has now been together for over 3 weeks so should have made some form of bonding and as they are all virtually new then their confidence levels should be high. They have no Holloway baggage to bring along.

This is a fans site and fans are entitled to criticise players as they see fit. Choice of words is up to individuals but no different or worse than those shouted out at BP.

Comments on this thread are no different to those on other threads so I don't see why you mentioned it (comments on this thread embarrassing, offensive and hypocritical).

With regard to last nights match the team, Eastwood apart, were crap but we won. We've played a lot better and lost so perhaps the tide is turning in our favour.

UTM
Posted by: pen penfras, February 24, 2021, 7:53pm; Reply: 54

986 words

If anybody on this board is going to complain about somebody being attacked, then it sure as excrement shouldn't be you. Practice what you preach or shut up and let people say what they want, just like you do about other people
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 24, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 55

Neither are your posts chum 😆
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 24, 2021, 8:58pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from DB

Agree with what you say but we are paying for RH with our TV licence. We also pay £10 for iFollow so we should get an excellent professional service. Not a heath robinson one.

That’s an issue for iFollow though, not the BBC or Tondeur. I agree stitching radio commentary onto visual media is sub-standard.
Posted by: psgmariner, February 24, 2021, 9:04pm; Reply: 57

986 words

Defeating your own argument in one post is quite the achievement! Bravo.
Posted by: DB, February 24, 2021, 9:05pm; Reply: 58
Talking of iFollow does anybody know how the £10 is split. I think vat is £1.76 and after that I don't know. Also I wondered how do you find out how many subscribe per match.
Posted by: toontown, February 24, 2021, 9:13pm; Reply: 59
The reason that JT and Crofty make it clear that Gibson is poor in their commentary is because he is. He is nowhere near league standard. Changing commentators won't magically make him a better player. Perhaps if our highly paid manager at the time had bothered looking at him before signing him on a 3 year contract (!) He would have been of the same opinion, sparing us watching Gibson and JT having to comment on his perennial lack of understanding of the offside rule, amongst other negative traits...

And one of the reasons JT is likely quite negative this season is we are an absolutely dire team, quite possibly the worst in league football we've ever had (until the window). And that's against numerous other poor teams under fenty. Inevitably there is a reflection of this in his commentary.
Posted by: Humbercod, February 24, 2021, 9:17pm; Reply: 60
Tondeur is the voice of GTFC whenever he’s off duty for whatever reason the commentary is excrement, you’ve only got to think back to the Compass FM days to realise how good we have it. No he has to stay for me best commentator since Roly Godfrey.
Posted by: Davec, February 24, 2021, 9:18pm; Reply: 61
How old is John Tonduer anyway? Could he decide himself to call it a day one day.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 24, 2021, 9:32pm; Reply: 62
I’m not sure I’ve ever heard him say anything truly engaging to be honest.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, February 24, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Davec
How old is John Tonduer anyway?

Mr Tondeur has celebrated 16 or 17 birthdays on his birthday if that helps
Posted by: Davec, February 24, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 64

Mr Tondeur has celebrated 16 or 17 birthdays on his birthday if that helps

That would make him 64 or 68 then!

I assume he was born on 29th April!
Posted by: HarrogateMariner, February 24, 2021, 9:49pm; Reply: 65
Of all the things we have to complain about.......John Tondeur would be far from the top of my list! Proper town fan, ok he might make a mistake now and then but I don't know why it would bother people so much. Hope he carries on for many more years.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, February 24, 2021, 9:52pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Davec

It’s rude to ask a football commentator their age 😌
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, February 24, 2021, 10:27pm; Reply: 67

Does he go?

I think he’s more likely to go inside here to Hoban who hits it...

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrFFcdLGyUI[/url]

Ethereal, atmospheric, and cinematic, are just some of the words that Icelandic dream rockers Sigur Rós used to describe John Tondeur’s commentary when supporting him at Wembley in May 2016.

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, February 24, 2021, 10:47pm; Reply: 68

94th minute

Knackered

Riddled with nerves and the pain of play-off finals past

JT spits out the sort of alliterative weapons that make him Lincolnshire’s Barry Davies....

“Town want a free kick, they don’t get it but they’ve got the ball to Nolan”

Sounds simple but the staccato rhythm of his delivery could grace any rap album.

Even Sir Alan agrees he is in the presence of greatness...

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 24, 2021, 11:22pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Davec

Don’t you mean February? We have a 29th April every year.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, February 24, 2021, 11:45pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Don’t you mean February? We have a 29th April every year.

I think Aaron might be using the Gregorian Robertson calendar
Posted by: Davec, February 25, 2021, 6:23am; Reply: 71
February ffs, I was planning some annual leave from work when I was typing it so that's where the April comes from 😂
Posted by: aldi_01, February 25, 2021, 6:26am; Reply: 72
I mean tondeur isn’t amazing but worrying about him or moaning is pointless when there’s bigger things to be concerned about related to GTFC.

The blokes a fan like the rest of us, he was possibly very critical early on but no more so than anyone on here. Let’s not forget the way the club have behaved over the years, if I was him I’d have said shove it a long while ago.

He makes mistakes, never mind, hardly effects anyone really does it?
Posted by: Garth, February 25, 2021, 7:25am; Reply: 73

Does he go?

I think he’s more likely to go inside here to Hoban who hits it...

Ethereal, atmospheric, and cinematic, are just some of the words that Icelandic dream rockers Sigur Rós used to describe John Tondeur’s commentary when supporting him at Wembley in May 2016.

For that piece of commentary it makes him a legend, unforgettable to GY supporters like the 1966 World Cup, you know they think its all over.
You could do a lot worse than JT, try Burns for instance when it comes to criticism of players on the radio
Posted by: It Bites, February 25, 2021, 7:32am; Reply: 74
Perhaps Fillipe was right . This place is full of bullies . No wonder Mr Fenty is running scared of you lot 🙄
Posted by: Vance Warner, February 25, 2021, 7:36am; Reply: 75
What a crazy thread! Listening to other clubs commentators this season has made me appreciate JT even more. Crofty has been a great addition as well.
Posted by: Humbercod, February 25, 2021, 7:51am; Reply: 76
Quoted from It Bites
Perhaps Fillipe was right . This place is full of bullies . No wonder Mr Fenty is running scared of you lot 🙄

Sad really, some of these will be the same ones who went on Bunney’s social media just to abuse him. Get a life.
Posted by: It Bites, February 25, 2021, 8:29am; Reply: 77
Quoted from Humbercod

Sad really, some of these will be the same ones who went on Bunney’s social media just to abuse him. Get a life.

That was just horrible . Poor lad had just had a baby and all the stress that goes with it and saved his team with his own selfless efforts (that 2nd booking)
Posted by: pen penfras, February 25, 2021, 8:44am; Reply: 78
Quoted from It Bites

That was just horrible . Poor lad had just had a baby and all the stress that goes with it and saved his team with his own selfless efforts (that 2nd booking)

The abuse of him is totally wrong, but claiming his awful defending that got him into the position where he had to foul was selfless is stretching it. He was awful for the entire 90 minutes. Even worse than Preston has been.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 25, 2021, 9:30am; Reply: 79
Quoted from Vance Warner
What a crazy thread! Listening to other clubs commentators this season has made me appreciate JT even more. Crofty has been a great addition as well.

Indeed. And these chaps are local radio commentators! Not sure why people are expecting them to be Barry Davies.

'Where were the *find out Crawley's nickname*? Frankly, who cares'
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 25, 2021, 10:29am; Reply: 80
Quoted from DB
Talking of iFollow does anybody know how the £10 is split. I think vat is £1.76 and after that I don't know. Also I wondered how do you find out how many subscribe per match.

The Colchester chairman provided a great breakdown to this earlier in the season, it's also something that's a regular feature on the Price of Football Podcast (which I'd highly recommend as a listen) and a follow on Twitter.

From my memory, the home team keep all the revenue they generate through sales via their own website/feed.  So for the game against Crawley, if we sold 1000 passes, we keep 100% of them.   For sales through the away website/feed, in this case, Crawley, we get the revenue for the first 500 sold.  Anything beyond that first 500 goes to the away side, i.e Crawley.

Earlier in the season figures were banded about in relation to iFollow sales by the club but they've since stopped or I haven't seen them.  Probably timed around when season ticket holders got issued codes.
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 25, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 81
Quoted from diehardmariner

The Colchester chairman provided a great breakdown to this earlier in the season, it's also something that's a regular feature on the Price of Football Podcast (which I'd highly recommend as a listen) and a follow on Twitter.

From my memory, the home team keep all the revenue they generate through sales via their own website/feed.  So for the game against Crawley, if we sold 1000 passes, we keep 100% of them.   For sales through the away website/feed, in this case, Crawley, we get the revenue for the first 500 sold.  Anything beyond that first 500 goes to the away side, i.e Crawley.

Earlier in the season figures were banded about in relation to iFollow sales by the club but they've since stopped or I haven't seen them.  Probably timed around when season ticket holders got issued codes.

Bradford have been publishing theirs on their Twitter. It's usually around the 2,000-2,5000 mark for them if I remember rightly. Not bad considering their season tickets work out quite a bit cheaper than paying £10 for every home game on iFollow.
Posted by: lee65, February 25, 2021, 10:55am; Reply: 82
To be fair to JT, I think him commentating from the press box while we are viewing video footage shot from high up in the Findus (so more of a "3D" feel) could explain a lot.

The view from the Main Stand is not great, so take the Waterfall "probably should've been a penalty" comment, from where JT was sat he wouldn't really know whether it was 2 yards inside the box or 5 yards outside.

I do agree that he or Crofty should be armed with an iPad to get the replays etc. (and in recent games it has become more regular that Crofty chips in "having just seen it" so maybe someone is sending him clips?)
Posted by: lee65, February 25, 2021, 11:03am; Reply: 83
Quoted from DB

I think we get something like £8.40 for all of the "home" fans who buy match by match, and the same for the first 500 away fans (any number above 500 away goes to their Team)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 25, 2021, 11:13am; Reply: 84
JT is being listened to far more than ever before because we aren't at the games and it's unfair to expect a local radio commentator to become a TV commentator as well.

Let's be reasonable - as soon as we can, we'll be watching games not listening to JT - give him a break.
Posted by: DB, February 25, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 85
Quoted from DB

Thanks to all who answered my question. It's good to know that the bulk of the price goes into Towns bank.
Posted by: DB, February 25, 2021, 11:20am; Reply: 86
Quoted from It Bites

Fillipe calls him John insinuating a friend.

You call him Mr Fenty, an employee perhaps is the reason you defend him. Why is stating that under his control that the club has not cleared the loans to him, although the tax man was paid, the club went from championship level to National league and is now in peril of dropping back their called bullying

Posted by: Mallyner, February 25, 2021, 11:49am; Reply: 87
Quoted from lee65
To be fair to JT, I think him commentating from the press box while we are viewing video footage shot from high up in the Findus (so more of a "3D" feel) could explain a lot.

The view from the Main Stand is not great, so take the Waterfall "probably should've been a penalty" comment, from where JT was sat he wouldn't really know whether it was 2 yards inside the box or 5 yards outside.

I do agree that he or Crofty should be armed with an iPad to get the replays etc. (and in recent games it has become more regular that Crofty chips in "having just seen it" so maybe someone is sending him clips?)

I agree with Lee here.

In the past when I have heard JT commentating on the radio, his was my only form of contact with the game; and as couldn't see the action I relied on him. My only criticism on that media was, he seemed to make out we were under the cosh as soon as the opponents came out of their own area, which did nothing for my heart rate.

Commentating on a visual station is different and like they do on Sky Sports, the people who are at the grounds all have technology to watch the game on. I have watched all but one game this season and generally the camera is at a far higher position than the commentary box and often on the other side of the ground. So, when we see a piece of action in a corner on JT's side, he cannot see that.

I do like Crofty's input.

Let us hope for a win on Saturday. UTM  :)

Posted by: Perkins, February 25, 2021, 12:39pm; Reply: 88
For the attention of John Tondeur:

JT,  I know you read the fishy, and if you are reading this thread, please ignore the comments of the couple of cretins who i doubt would have the ability, vocabulary or intelligence to commentate on a school playground game of marbles.
Posted by: Humbercod, February 25, 2021, 2:21pm; Reply: 89
Well said Perkins👏
Hopefully Lord Tondeur of Blundell Park will be here for many more seasons to come.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 25, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 90
I guess with this thread we also have the answer why Alan Buckley retired from being co-commentator!
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, February 25, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 91
Sticking radio commentary over televised visuals was never going to marry up completely.

JT will always be "The voice of the Mariners" for me.
Posted by: psgmariner, February 25, 2021, 5:18pm; Reply: 92
‘And that should be that’
Posted by: Mariner16, February 25, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 93
Coke and Matete made great, strong tackles and both of them were calling for yellows against them. Every time we give a free kick away its always, ooh that could be a yellow..

Thats my only criticism. I respect what JT does and has done over the years. Its a difficult job but to call for a change and in the manner its been done by BJ, is a bit strong.

Of all the other commentaries of Town games this season I think I have only really rated Cheltenham, but maybe thats because we won they were complimentary. ;D
Posted by: TAGG, February 25, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 94
I like Tondeur
Says it as it is so of cause it's negative because that's the way it's been this season.
What do people want? Do they want him to jump up and down singing 'Town are going up'
Does get names wrong sometimes but don't all us old fornicators now and again.
Posted by: denni266, February 25, 2021, 9:09pm; Reply: 95
What does it matter if he gets the odd name wrong , He is town and he is part of the club and has been for years  Good enough for me
Posted by: Tommy, February 25, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 96
I do find it interesting that JT is getting hammered for getting players wrong or mixed up, but when John Moore(?) or Roly do it on the old club footage, its seen as hilarious and their commentary is seen as absolute gold by many.

Obviously I don't know if it's the same people making these different views. But interesting/strange regardless.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 25, 2021, 9:32pm; Reply: 97
i think a little self assessment by watching back would maybe prove useful, as a radio commentator you should be constantly painting a picture so your listener can be "there"......simple things like letting the listener know the position of play and whose in possession is not always clear so when someone does have a snap shot or " Penalty"  is uttered you at least half a clue who to/ against.

Identity mistakes happen and you can always correct that but that is a little detail when listening blind, where its happening is much more important to the listener.

Posted by: Simon, February 25, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 98
Wonder who's next to be attacked on here then probably the programme sellers where have those lazy buggers been hiding this season not seen one of them have you  ;D
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 25, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 99
If I’d been commentating on Town this season id have been ejected from the ground most games
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 25, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 100

Idiot
Posted by: BenBB, February 25, 2021, 10:53pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from lee65
(and in recent games it has become more regular that Crofty chips in "having just seen it" so maybe someone is sending him clips?)

JT is often on Twitter during the games, especially at half-time. Probably gets them from people sharing them on there.

Posted by: promotion plaice, February 25, 2021, 11:05pm; Reply: 102

I've never had a problem with JT, never will.

I like his true passion for the club.

No more to say.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 26, 2021, 12:09am; Reply: 103
Quoted from Davec
February ffs, I was planning some annual leave from work when I was typing it so that's where the April comes from 😂

😆👏👏👏
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 26, 2021, 12:16am; Reply: 104
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If I’d been commentating on Town this season id have been ejected from the ground most games

And you’d probably relieved that you were 😆
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 26, 2021, 9:41am; Reply: 105
Quoted from Mariner16
Coke and Matete made great, strong tackles and both of them were calling for yellows against them. Every time we give a free kick away its always, ooh that could be a yellow..

Thats my only criticism. I respect what JT does and has done over the years. Its a difficult job but to call for a change and in the manner its been done by BJ, is a bit strong.

Of all the other commentaries of Town games this season I think I have only really rated Cheltenham, but maybe thats because we won they were complimentary. ;D

Coke's tackle was monstrous, Won the ball and absolutely nailed his man and wasn't a foul. Matete, on the other hand, needs to chill the intercourse out. He's so rash. He's obviously hungry and plays with a lot of intensity which is great, but he should have been booked in every game he's played so far. Wouldn't be surprised if we see him sent off before the season's over.
Posted by: BenBB, February 27, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 106
If you want to moan about JT, tune into today's iFollow or commentary via Radio York and you'll quickly stop moaning.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 27, 2021, 3:25pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from BenBB
If you want to moan about JT, tune into today's iFollow or commentary via Radio York and you'll quickly stop moaning.

Hahaha it’s unbelievably bad.
Posted by: toontown, February 27, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 108
Anybody whining about JT needs to listen to this, they can't tell the difference between Payne and Hanson ffs
Posted by: LH, February 27, 2021, 4:00pm; Reply: 109
Been saying this for years but:

Radio Humberside are amongst the best local sports broadcasters in the country and their awards are deserved.
Posted by: kafunanapar140909, February 27, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Hahaha it’s unbelievably bad.

I agree, it has been painfully cringeworthy so far. I don't rate JT either, though. Local radio just doesn't have the funding it once did, and now it has suddenly been thrust into the limelight with iFollow nabbing the feeds it is being made to look extra awful, since radio commentary is just not designed to be listened to with live pictures. Shame.
Posted by: BenBB, February 27, 2021, 4:11pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from LH
Been saying this for years but:

Radio Humberside are amongst the best local sports broadcasters in the country and their awards are deserved.

They'd be better if they didn't cut to Burnsy every 10 minutes to give an update on Hull.
Posted by: LH, February 27, 2021, 4:19pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from BenBB

They'd be better if they didn't cut to Burnsy every 10 minutes to give an update on Hull.

I thought they’d done this for ages for all local clubs live to the FM coverage?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 27, 2021, 5:21pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from LH

I thought they’d done this for ages for all local clubs live to the FM coverage?

Not when there’s nothing going on in the game they’re cutting to, when the ball is in play on the commentary game like they did on Tuesday.
Posted by: DB, February 27, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 114
This thread asked :-

Is it time for John Tondeur to be replaced?

Listening to the garbage Radio York provide , including electric buses etc., never in a million years. JT has his faults, but haven't we all. You don't know what you've got till he's gone.
Posted by: GG, March 2, 2021, 7:05pm; Reply: 115
Nice little dig by JT on the commentary tonight   ;D
Posted by: BenBB, March 2, 2021, 7:20pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from LH

Hardly an excuse nowadays. If you're listening to the game you're going to have the right device for your game, esp. as the feed is being used for iFollow now. You're not going to listen to a Grimsby game if you're a Hull fan just to hear Burnsy with Hull every 15 mins, surely?
Posted by: moosey_club, March 2, 2021, 8:01pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from GG
Nice little dig by JT on the commentary tonight   ;D

Made me smile when he said it. The Fishy rules !!!
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), March 2, 2021, 8:21pm; Reply: 118
I’d prefer to listen to Tim Mickleborough.
Posted by: DB, March 2, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 119
When you listen to last Saturdays drivel then JT is brilliant. He might have faults but who hasn't.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 2, 2021, 9:18pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from 28195
I’d prefer to listen to Tim Mickleborough.

and unlike that fella from Radio York on the Harrogate commentary you can bet Tim Mickleborough would have known the number, the drivers name , his shift pattern and the seating and standing capacity of that electric bus.   :P
Posted by: psgmariner, March 2, 2021, 9:21pm; Reply: 121
Sack hurst and give tondeur and Croft the job.
Posted by: buckstown, March 2, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 122
Thought JT was much better tonight. Have to say I think Gary Croft is an astute side kick, much better than Buckley
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 8:05am