Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TAGG, February 21, 2021, 8:41pm
Something to smile about.
Well done young blokes.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/february/u18s-keep-unbeaten-run-going/
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 21, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 1
Great.  Unbeaten, 4th and having played 5 or 6 fewer games than their rivals.

Truly outstanding to date.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 21, 2021, 9:25pm; Reply: 2
That’s a good run. 👍
Posted by: DB, February 21, 2021, 10:22pm; Reply: 3
Puts the first team to shame.

Lower down on this page ( https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/february/u18s-keep-unbeaten-run-going/ ) is an ad for further reductions in the club shop.

Half price ' We love John Fenty Scarfs'  anyone!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 21, 2021, 11:28pm; Reply: 4
I’m waiting for them to come down to the same price as big roll DB
Posted by: DB, February 21, 2021, 11:47pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I’m waiting for them to come down to the same price as big roll DB

Think you had a typo and meant  bog
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 22, 2021, 6:36am; Reply: 6
On a good run let’s hope a couple of them make the transition to the first team because I’m tired of being a feeder club for clee town / gy boro.
Posted by: It Bites, February 22, 2021, 8:32am; Reply: 7
I don't get all the excitement for our youth structure . How many players have we produced over the last 15 years that have gone on to have a long career in the league football ?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 22, 2021, 8:53am; Reply: 8
Quoted from It Bites
I don't get all the excitement for our youth structure . How many players have we produced over the last 15 years that have gone on to have a long career in the league football ?

Hardly any but let’s hope this group are different
Posted by: Mallyner, February 22, 2021, 9:02am; Reply: 9
Evan Khouri always seems to get a good mention in these write ups; the young lad who was previously on West Ham's books. I imagine he is perhaps a Londoner, who has moved up here and in these times and at his age, to move away from his family must have been an immense challenge.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 22, 2021, 9:03am; Reply: 10
Obviously pleased they are doing well but interesting that Boyd and Grist were both substitutes for this game given the big build up both had from Holloway. He regularly said he would be happy to play Grist in the first team and yet he can’t get in the under 18’s.

Not saying these lads aren’t progressing just fine but it seems most likely Holloway was trying to build them up for a quick sale and a percentage of the fee.

Historically Hurst not been known for playing youngsters coming through the system so be interesting to see how the lads progress but looks like the lads offered professional contracts last year will, with the exception of Pollock, be struggling to get an extension beyond this summer.
Posted by: DB, February 22, 2021, 1:10pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Obviously pleased they are doing well but interesting that Boyd and Grist were both substitutes for this game given the big build up both had from Holloway. He regularly said he would be happy to play Grist in the first team and yet he can’t get in the under 18’s.

Not saying these lads aren’t progressing just fine but it seems most likely Holloway was trying to build them up for a quick sale and a percentage of the fee.

Historically Hurst not been known for playing youngsters coming through the system so be interesting to see how the lads progress but looks like the lads offered professional contracts last year will, with the exception of Pollock, be struggling to get an extension beyond this summer.

The trouble with the past is we do not know what purse strings Fenty put on Hurst. Certainly a new portacabin down Cheapside wasn't much help and meeting financial budgets more important than staying in the FL.

Only time will and lets hope the youth set gets back to it's glory days of Tony Ford, the Moore brothers etc.
Posted by: Tommy, February 22, 2021, 4:45pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I think the bit in bold is true unfortunately. There's no doubt they are promising youngsters but I'm sure Holloway had an agenda there. Much like him touting Pollock around and getting him a trial at Leicester.

Just one point though - Boyd and Grist are both in the u16s so aren't actually fully fledged full time YT's just yet.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 22, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Tommy

I think the bit in bold is true unfortunately. There's no doubt they are promising youngsters but I'm sure Holloway had an agenda there. Much like him touting Pollock around and getting him a trial at Leicester.

Just one point though - Boyd and Grist are both in the u16s so aren't actually fully fledged full time YT's just yet.

Don’t disagree Tommy but I was trying to get across the point that these two lads were, according to Ollie, on the verge of getting a first team selection thus I would have expected they would be good enough to be starters in the under 18’s. I think the rhetoric he put out about these lads may now also be affecting them mentally as to hear your name mentioned and built up by Holloway must have been great and then he’s gone and your back down to earth with a big bump. Hopefully, they saw through his bullshit quicker than I did
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 22, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from DB

Think you had a typo and meant  bog

Yep. Always tapping the i when I meant to tap the o.
Posted by: pen penfras, February 22, 2021, 10:03pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Tommy

I don't think he was getting any money out of it. I think he genuinely thought he could transform below average players into something special.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 22, 2021, 10:12pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't think he was getting any money out of it. I think he genuinely thought he could transform below average players into something special.

He succeeded then because he turned below average players into utter ah!te!..that's something special right there!
Posted by: Tommy, February 23, 2021, 12:09am; Reply: 17
Quoted from pen penfras

I didn't mean he'd stand to profit personally (although you never know). I just think (with hindsight) he was trying to build these lads up and hope we could come into some money from a big club taking one of them. Maybe that would have been added to the budget that he had to start the season with.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 23, 2021, 2:07am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Tommy

I didn't mean he'd stand to profit personally (although you never know). I just think (with hindsight) he was trying to build these lads up and hope we could come into some money from a big club taking one of them. Maybe that would have been added to the budget that he had to start the season with.

Yeah but then Covid came and spoiled everything. But only for us apparently.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), February 23, 2021, 3:20am; Reply: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yep. Always tapping the i when I meant to tap the o.

Me tii.
Posted by: Tommy, February 23, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 20
Youth team 6-1 up at half-time against Scunthorpe.
Posted by: Tommy, February 23, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Tommy
Youth team 6-1 up at half-time against Scunthorpe.

Finished 7-2
Posted by: DB, February 23, 2021, 1:27pm; Reply: 22
Credit due to them. Played 2 games within 4 days and didn't lose. Any victory against Scunny is good but by 5 goals is brilliant. Call Neil Woods but he's got these lads purring.

A good omen for tonight.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 23, 2021, 1:52pm; Reply: 23
Boo sort it under 18ses, only drew second half 1-1
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 23, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Tommy

Finished 7-2

Cheers Tommy. Great score line.

They must have had Ray Clemence’s grandson in goal.
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 9:34pm