Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, February 21, 2021, 2:06pm
https://twitter.com/barrowafc/status/1363488678979514372?s=21
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 21, 2021, 2:09pm; Reply: 1
Sh*t! I fancied our chances of survival with him at the helm. Nothing is going our way......
Posted by: aldi_01, February 21, 2021, 2:09pm; Reply: 2
Has he made his opinion known again?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 21, 2021, 2:09pm; Reply: 3
I was hoping they’d keep him .. will they get  the new managers bounce ?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 21, 2021, 2:10pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Let's hope it's similar to the one we've had.
Posted by: ROKERITE, February 21, 2021, 2:11pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

They didn't with him. They might well appoint Kelly, who did a good job as caretaker after Dunn was sacked, till the end of the season.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 21, 2021, 2:12pm; Reply: 6
See David Brent has been found out a bit quicker now. Shame as he would have taken them down. Hopefully they’ll get worse
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 21, 2021, 2:12pm; Reply: 7

Lasted less than two months then, must admit I was surprised when they appointed him.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 21, 2021, 2:16pm; Reply: 8
We could’ve done without this, they’ve signed some decent players but Jolley obviously couldn’t get a tune out of them.

A decent manager might stand a chance of turning them around
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 21, 2021, 2:20pm; Reply: 9

They could do a lot worse than give Holloway the job with his vast experience at a higher level.
Posted by: ROKERITE, February 21, 2021, 2:22pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pontoonlew
We could’ve done without this, they’ve signed some decent players but Jolley obviously couldn’t get a tune out of them.

Reading their message-board there seems to be a worry that the players who were doing well under Kelly have been furloughed and that Jolley's signings might not be as good.
I don't dislike Jolley but he was the wrong man for Barrow this season, as was Dunn.

Posted by: Rick12, February 21, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from promotion plaice

Lasted less than two months then, must admit I was surprised when they appointed him.
Still surprised that he got the sack. Thought he may of lasted a bit longer.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 21, 2021, 2:35pm; Reply: 12
Damn. Agent Jolley sacked.
Posted by: mimma, February 21, 2021, 2:40pm; Reply: 13
We witnessed first hand Jolley's methods, Rokerite. He is all tactics and flip charts and knows all the formations you can think of. But he can't manage players, or get them to understand what he wants at this level. Tends to over-complicate it.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, February 21, 2021, 2:42pm; Reply: 14
It's not good news for us the Barrow mind set will change now  ::)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 15
It's all about what we do and PH is as good as we'd get in our position.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 21, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ginnywings
It's all about what we do and PH is as good as we'd get in our position.

Worth noting that Jolleys record at Barrow is better than Hursts since he arrived...
Posted by: aldi_01, February 21, 2021, 2:55pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from pontoonlew

Worth noting that Jolleys record at Barrow is better than Hursts since he arrived...

I’d argue they weren’t as a flipping terrible as us...it’s very apparent that our club from top to bottom was a flipping disgrace...

Was surprising they went with Jolley in the first place I think...
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2021, 2:57pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from pontoonlew

Yeah, you keep saying, ad nauseum.

Would you have appointed Jolley over Hurst?

Thought not.
Posted by: psgmariner, February 21, 2021, 2:59pm; Reply: 19
Barrow got twice as many points as us during Jolley’s reign. Hopefully they appoint someone worse.
Posted by: Sandford1981, February 21, 2021, 3:01pm; Reply: 20
https://youtu.be/DBbuUWw30N8

Any excuse to dust this off
Posted by: It Bites, February 21, 2021, 3:02pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

Thought not.

I think Jolley will come good as he did at the start of his time at Grimsby . Keeping Grimsby up that season was miraculous . If Hurst keeps Grimsby up this season he will equal Jolley
Posted by: oochiad, February 21, 2021, 3:08pm; Reply: 22
I see that as bad news for us. When do we play them?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 21, 2021, 3:18pm; Reply: 23
Another chance for Runaway to have a sojourn up north.  The problem is that he does not have a transfer window, or two, to mess-up the team further.

(A slight silver-lining from yesterday.  The players are fresh for this Tuesday and did not have a tough game on a very boggy pitch in their legs.  The better weather should also mean we have a better playing surface).
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 21, 2021, 3:18pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from ginnywings

Thought not.

Not the point I’m making, more offering some context as to quite what situation we find ourselves in. Jolley has been sacked for his record, Hurst has been lauded for his.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 21, 2021, 3:22pm; Reply: 25
Didn't see that coming.

A new manager bounce for them would be very bad news for us.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 21, 2021, 3:27pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from pontoonlew

I thought we had a new manager who was going to turn us around.
Posted by: DB, February 21, 2021, 3:28pm; Reply: 27
Did you see the size of his budget?
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 21, 2021, 3:51pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from DB
Did you see the size of his budget?

He’s been in trouble for that before
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from pontoonlew

Not the point I’m making, more offering some context as to quite what situation we find ourselves in. Jolley has been sacked for his record, Hurst has been lauded for his.

Lauded for his past record maybe, but Hurst isn't getting much praise at the moment.

However, given what he has achieved in the past, at more than one club, I think he's more likely to come good than not. Whether he can turn us around in time to avoid the drop is open to conjecture. He inherited one of the biggest piles of cr@p I've seen in almost 50 years watching Town.

It wasn't just a case of inspiring a squad to better performances. It was a complete rebuild of the squad, and that doesn't happen overnight, especially mid season.

I think the time to judge the effectiveness of the appointments here and at other clubs is when the last ball has been kicked this season.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 21, 2021, 4:22pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings

Lauded for his past record maybe, but Hurst isn't getting much praise at the moment.

However, given what he has achieved in the past, at more than one club, I think he's more likely to come good than not. Whether he can turn us around in time to avoid the drop is open to conjecture. He inherited one of the biggest piles of cr@p I've seen in almost 50 years watching Town.

It wasn't just a case of inspiring a squad to better performances. It was a complete rebuild of the squad, and that doesn't happen overnight, especially mid season.

I think the time to judge the effectiveness of the appointments here and at other clubs is when the last ball has been kicked this season.

I agree with all that ........... but if somebody doesn’t start popping some goals in very sharpish,  it is all pretty much irrelevant.

Posted by: gtfc_akpa_akpro, February 21, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from pontoonlew

For my eye, Hurst has had one game with a group of players he’s signed. It was a poor loss but they’d been together a matter of days. Two weeks training under the belt and a run of game, let’s see what the record is then.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 21, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings

FWIW I don’t disagree with you and I think Hurst will probably turn it around to some degree.

I do disagree with you on him not being lauded so far, there’s more than enough of it on Twitter
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 21, 2021, 5:09pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from It Bites

I think Jolley will come good as he did at the start of his time at Grimsby . Keeping Grimsby up that season was miraculous . If Hurst keeps Grimsby up this season he will equal Jolley

When Jolley got the Town job we had 36 points and were 8 points above the relegation places. Hardly a miracle.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, February 21, 2021, 5:16pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from headingly_mariner

When Jolley got the Town job we had 36 points and were 8 points above the relegation places. Hardly a miracle.

We hadn’t won for about 5 months though, and as Danny Collins said at the time, we didn’t know where the next shot was coming from let alone the next win! We were 100% going down if Slade hadn’t been replaced. Maybe miracle is too strong a word, but Jolley did absolutely brilliantly to keep us up that year.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 21, 2021, 5:25pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

We hadn’t won for about 5 months though, and as Danny Collins said at the time, we didn’t know where the next shot was coming from let alone the next win! We were 100% going down if Slade hadn’t been replaced. Maybe miracle is too strong a word, but Jolley did absolutely brilliantly to keep us up that year.

I think people almost forget just how clueless we were under Slade before Jolley came in.
There was a definate improvement in organisation and formation when he came in.
It was his second  season were he went a bit flip chart and football manager computer game on us.
Posted by: oochiad, February 21, 2021, 5:27pm; Reply: 36
He had  a cushion to start with though, Hurst certainly hasn’t......
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 21, 2021, 5:33pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from oochiad
He had  a cushion to start with though, Hurst certainly hasn’t......

We were 4 points ahead of Southend when he joined the club.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from pontoonlew

FWIW I don’t disagree with you and I think Hurst will probably turn it around to some degree.

I do disagree with you on him not being lauded so far, there’s more than enough of it on Twitter

That'll be where I'm at a loss then. I don't do Twitter.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 21, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 39
Did anyone mention budget?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 21, 2021, 6:22pm; Reply: 40
I wonder who he called a girl private this time?
Posted by: DB, February 21, 2021, 6:30pm; Reply: 41
Jolley only won 2+ games, Barrow have panicked and you can see why. Unless they have somebody lined up then it could be to Towns advantage. As we know any new manager has the players he inherited and it will take time to gel them.

Time isn't what Barrow have so hopefully things might work out for Town.
Posted by: marinerdazza, February 21, 2021, 6:46pm; Reply: 42
Mitch Rose kept us up...
Posted by: Boris Johnson, February 21, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from marinerdazza
Mitch Rose kept us up...

him and a few dodgy penalties....
Posted by: marinerdazza, February 21, 2021, 6:52pm; Reply: 44
Surprised he went there in the first place. That’s got to be it for him now hasn’t it? Unless he goes non league.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 21, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from DB
Jolley only won 2+ games, Barrow have panicked and you can see why. Unless they have somebody lined up then it could be to Towns advantage. As we know any new manager has the players he inherited and it will take time to gel them.

Time isn't what Barrow have so hopefully things might work out for Town.

They have given the job to Rob Kelly who was brought in as assistant manager to David Dunn so has been at the club for most of the season and who has already been in charge as caretaker once this season. He won 2 two, drew 1 and lost 1 in his 4 games in charge.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 22, 2021, 10:32am; Reply: 46
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Did anyone mention budget?

This is the second post about Jolley's caged bird collection, WTF does his love of ornithology have to do with him getting the sack?.......oh,hang on.........BUDGET!........misread it as budgie. Apologies.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 22, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 47

This is the second post about Jolley's caged bird collection, WTF does his love of ornithology have to do with him getting the sack?.......oh,hang on.........BUDGET!........misread it as budgie. Apologies.

Did you think he was a manager or a smuggler?

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 22, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 48
Quoted from marinerdazza
That’s got to be it for him now hasn’t it? Unless he goes non league.

My thoughts exactly. His CV would be a terrible read. No success with any team. Left at least 3 job after disagreements with the Board.

He will surface again as a Manager of a Sunday league team somewhere
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 22, 2021, 11:20am; Reply: 49
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro

For my eye, Hurst has had one game with a group of players he’s signed. It was a poor loss but they’d been together a matter of days. Two weeks training under the belt and a run of game, let’s see what the record is then.

We played very well up until they had a player sent off, and they scored with their only chance pretty much.

I was in the 'Down and Out' up until Saturday, and as long as we stay within 1 win of climbing out of the bottom 2, it's always up to us, and not the other 2 teams around us
Posted by: oochiad, February 22, 2021, 11:46am; Reply: 50
It certainly wasn’t a poor loss in my eyes. Plenty of promise in the first half. Them going to 10 men did it for us as it does with a lot of teams against 10.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 22, 2021, 11:48am; Reply: 51

Did you think he was a manager or a smuggler?

He might be more successful as a smuggler.
Posted by: coddy60, February 22, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 52

He might be more successful as a smuggler.

Hopefully he signed a few mules for them before his sacking
Posted by: RonMariner, February 22, 2021, 11:06pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from arryarryarry

They have given the job to Rob Kelly who was brought in as assistant manager to David Dunn so has been at the club for most of the season and who has already been in charge as caretaker once this season. He won 2 two, drew 1 and lost 1 in his 4 games in charge.

ouch.

That looks a bit ominous.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 22, 2021, 11:12pm; Reply: 54
We will never know, but I do wonder sometimes where we would be now if Jolley had stayed here?

I can't imagine his summer signings would have been as bad as Hollowords. But we didn't improve much in his full season in charge. So I am guessing that we would be sitting just below halfway, but i doubt we would be bottom.

I liked Jolley. Seemed to have a genuine connection to the fans. It's a shame the way it turned out here, and now I think he may be finished as a manager, in the EFL at least.    
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 23, 2021, 12:00am; Reply: 55
Quoted from RonMariner

ouch.

That looks a bit ominous.

Having said that, according to Barrow's forum, some think the players Jolley brought in are worse than the players they have furloughed.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 23, 2021, 2:06am; Reply: 56

I thought my wife had collected those big white parrots before we met. Well I thought she said she’d had a cockatoo.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 23, 2021, 7:04am; Reply: 57
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I thought my wife had collected those big white parrots before we met. Well I thought she said she’d had a cockatoo.

I know someone who rooked her. She gave him thrush.
Posted by: golfer, February 23, 2021, 8:34am; Reply: 58

You wait 'till you get home   PEEWIT
Posted by: Garth, February 23, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 59

That's nothing to crow about, when she reads this you will be as dead as a Dodo
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 23, 2021, 9:57am; Reply: 60

Think we've had too long without a game   ;D
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 23, 2021, 10:25am; Reply: 61
Quoted from promotion plaice

Think we've had too long without a game   ;D

Yes, I can't wait to see (gull) one.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 23, 2021, 11:01am; Reply: 62
Quoted from Garth

That's nothing to crow about, when she reads this you will be as dead as a Dodo

I dare say my goose has been cooked
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 7:36am