Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: DB, February 20, 2021, 6:26pm
Results have started to go our way. The takeover by the consortium must only be days away so, although the team didn't play today, is this the start of a new era for Town. We now have virtually a new team with none of the negative past hanging over them. Barrow and Southend are not only catchable but can be passed.

A new dawn is ours for the taking.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, February 20, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 1
Lets just try and win the next game, before we start talking about new beginnings
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 20, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 2
Let’s hope we win Tuesday and go on to get a run going, I’m hoping the rest we’ve had will benefit us and help the new team, a win Tuesday and who knows, the win would give the team and us fans so much more confidence in going forward.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 20, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 3
Tuesday is crucial.

It is a very winnable game, and should we fail to do so I think the writing will be well and truly on the wall.

We have a new team. Hurst has now had plenty of time with them, and the payers will be fresh. So there are no excuses.

It is time.
Posted by: DB, February 20, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 4
Optimism Boris Optimism, we have to make new start sometime so let it be this coming week. No negatives see the thread on positive thinking.
Posted by: DB, February 20, 2021, 6:53pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Let’s hope we win Tuesday and go on to get a run going, I’m hoping the rest we’ve had will benefit us and help the new team, a win Tuesday and who knows, the win would give the team and us fans so much more confidence in going forward.

Positive thinking, that's the way.
Posted by: GrimExile, February 20, 2021, 6:53pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Lets just try and win the next game, before we start talking about new beginnings

No I agree with DB even though we have had a couple of public spats a few weeks back!!!

Somehow what with the new signings, the takeover, the fact because we haven’t played but it’s given PH more time to work with the team and those around us are losing, it make me feel so much more optimistic. I genuinely think that we will get out of this mess and the great thing is, is it’s in our hands too. #UTM
Posted by: DB, February 20, 2021, 6:57pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from GrimExile

No I agree with DB even though we have had a couple of public spats a few weeks back!!!

Somehow what with the new signings, the takeover, the fact because we haven’t played but it’s given PH more time to work with the team and those around us are losing, it make me feel so much more optimistic. I genuinely think that we will get out of this mess and the great thing is, is it’s in our hands too. #UTM

Thank you GrimExile, what's past is past, here's to the future.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 20, 2021, 7:33pm; Reply: 8
I too have had a few ding dongs with DB bit this time I'm right with him.
Never know DB, the red cross brigade might leave you alone and you could be on for POTW..
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2021, 7:44pm; Reply: 9
Results haven't started to go our way. Southend and Barrow have been as bad as us all season, which is why they are down there with us. Them both losing today is no great surprise.

Of course, it's great that they both lost as it keeps them in touch, and games in hand they had are now gone.

It still boils down to us to start winning a game or two, but as I keep saying, we only have to get 1 more point than 2 other teams to survive, and the way it's going, we won't have to improve a massive amount to move up the league.

If Scunny can do it, so can we.
Posted by: smokey111, February 20, 2021, 8:01pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from DB
Results have started to go our way. The takeover by the consortium must only be days away so, although the team didn't play today, is this the start of a new era for Town. We now have virtually a new team with none of the negative past hanging over them. Barrow and Southend are not only catchable but can be passed.

A new dawn is ours for the taking.

Love your positivity DB. Just one win would be the spark. No reason it can't be Tuesday. As you say, new players, a long period of rest and plenty of opportunity for Hurst and Doig to work with the players.

3rd from bottom. We aren't asking for much.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 20, 2021, 8:09pm; Reply: 11
If we can get out of this, get the takeover done and have a half decent pre season we’ll gain momentum and could end up doing well next season.

If we don’t then it could be a few seasons before we come back but though I don’t want to go back there I’m convinced we’ll be competitive.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 20, 2021, 8:23pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ginnywings
It still boils down to us to start winning a game or two, but as I keep saying, we only have to get 1 more point than 2 other teams to survive, and the way it's going, we won't have to improve a massive amount to move up the league.

There are two people in a wood, and they run into a bear. The first person gets down on his knees to pray; the second person starts lacing up his boots. The first person asks the second person, “My dear friend, what are you doing? You can’t outrun a bear.” To which the second person responds, “I don’t have to. I only have to outrun you.”   ;)

I'll get my coat.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 20, 2021, 10:39pm; Reply: 13
I think you are all on crack or a.n other dillusional drug.

Each to their own view though..... For me still no positive green shoots of recovery in our own garden just yet so regardless of other teams results we aren't catching our rivals while we cant win ourselves.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 20, 2021, 11:04pm; Reply: 14
Good to see Southend have played 2 more than us
Posted by: smokey111, February 20, 2021, 11:07pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from moosey_club
I think you are all on crack or a.n other dillusional drug.

Each to their own view though..... For me still no positive green shoots of recovery in our own garden just yet so regardless of other teams results we aren't catching our rivals while we cant win ourselves.

That's the spirit Private Frazer.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 20, 2021, 11:10pm; Reply: 16
22nd in L2 will seem like winning the champions league 😂
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 20, 2021, 11:12pm; Reply: 17
I actually laughed when I saw us bottom of the league on quest tonight. At least the rest of the season is fooking monumental
Posted by: RonMariner, February 21, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 18
Well, for the first time in  months I was denied my customary two hour long doom laden Saturday night rant.

That's a new beginning for me.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 21, 2021, 11:48am; Reply: 19
Despite not having played yesterday I am feeling really good about our prospects for the season this morning.
Hope I feel the same or better on Wednesday!
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), February 21, 2021, 2:51pm; Reply: 20
Now would be great timing for the Takeover to be confirmed!

Fingers crossed!! 🤞
Posted by: moosey_club, February 21, 2021, 5:41pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from smokey111

That's the spirit Private Frazer.

I just dont do blind faith. Would be nice to survive but until I see us  even threaten win a game I wont be raising my Hope's of survival.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 22, 2021, 12:07am; Reply: 22
I am respect everybody's opinions on this board particuarly those who are more positive of our situation at the moment. I use to be one of them
I am not being clever or overtly negative when I say that to me relegation is an almost certainty.
We cannot score nor can we defend and despite having an almost new team I cannot see it gelling soon enough to climb away from our present position. I commend Hurst for recognising our weaknesses and trying his best to do something about it. It is not his doing. I don't see us doing a Scunny and putting a run together nor do I see us as a team that will scrape a "win ugly" game or two. Very, very happy to be proven wrong but I know who to blame and its not Hurst.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 22, 2021, 2:12am; Reply: 23
Quoted from chipsandgravy
I am respect everybody's opinions on this board particuarly those who are more positive of our situation at the moment. I use to be one of them
I am not being clever or overtly negative when I say that to me relegation is an almost certainty.
We cannot score nor can we defend and despite having an almost new team I cannot see it gelling soon enough to climb away from our present position. I commend Hurst for recognising our weaknesses and trying his best to do something about it. It is not his doing. I don't see us doing a Scunny and putting a run together nor do I see us as a team that will scrape a "win ugly" game or two. Very, very happy to be proven wrong but I know who to blame and its not Hurst.

Hasn't Paul Hurst signed 11 new players. If he cannot at least improve the position we were in when he signed them all then he must accept responsibility for that.
Posted by: DB, February 22, 2021, 3:08am; Reply: 24

Win the 2 games in hand and that would put us 22nd so would a win and draw. As far as I know Town are the only team down there who haven't put a run of good results together. So if they did get a run going then the league position could be improved even better.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 22, 2021, 5:56am; Reply: 25
The problem is getting a win DB, so as we have seen with Barrow and Southend recently, games in hand are not necessarily much use down at this end of the table. Our average points per game over the whole season so far is under one, so the most we can expect is two points.
Posted by: Zmariner, February 22, 2021, 9:25am; Reply: 26
We are not at all finished. We are very fortunate not to have been cut adrift with our abysmal form. That said I do feel the next four games are the last chance saloon. I also think for the vast majority of the season we have got exactly what we deserved but for the last couple of games we have been a bit unlucky and Football has a curious way of equalising itself, on this basis I just fancy us to sneak something tomorrow night. Defeat tomorrow night and I will throw in the towel utm
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 22, 2021, 10:00am; Reply: 27
Quoted from arryarryarry

Hasn't Paul Hurst signed 11 new players. If he cannot at least improve the position we were in when he signed them all then he must accept responsibility for that.

I accept that to a point. I think if you were putting 11 players together at any other time than being the 92nd team in the Football League adrift of safety with a number of short contract/loan players you would be right.
Posted by: psgmariner, February 22, 2021, 10:15am; Reply: 28

I accept that to a point. I think if you were putting 11 players together at any other time than being the 92nd team in the Football League adrift of safety with a number of short contract/loan players you would be right.

We were 3 points clear when he started.
Posted by: DB, February 22, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 29
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The problem is getting a win DB, so as we have seen with Barrow and Southend recently, games in hand are not necessarily much use down at this end of the table. Our average points per game over the whole season so far is under one, so the most we can expect is two points.

I agree and would much prefer points on the board than games in hand. It does however mean to an extent that we hold our own destiny in our hands.
Posted by: DB, February 22, 2021, 11:19am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Zmariner
We are not at all finished. We are very fortunate not to have been cut adrift with our abysmal form. That said I do feel the next four games are the last chance saloon. I also think for the vast majority of the season we have got exactly what we deserved but for the last couple of games we have been a bit unlucky and Football has a curious way of equalising itself, on this basis I just fancy us to sneak something tomorrow night. Defeat tomorrow night and I will throw in the towel utm

We're good till the last roll of the dice. Staying up.
Posted by: DB, February 22, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 31
Quoted from psgmariner

We were 3 points clear when he started.

Others also had games in hand over us, but we haven't played for 2 weeks and now have 2 games in hand over Southend, 1 of which is against Barrow. Win those and it's a different picture. Moving up.
Posted by: oochiad, February 22, 2021, 11:43am; Reply: 32
Positivity is the key and hoping our new team can do the business. On first showing there’s nothing to think they won’t be able to do it🤞🤞
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, February 22, 2021, 1:54pm; Reply: 33
We now have a virtually new team, the signs of improvement were there during the last game, all we need is for luck to go our way for a change and confidence will return. With the new squad I believe we still have every chance of staying up.
Come on Town we know you can do it
UTM
Posted by: RonMariner, February 22, 2021, 8:04pm; Reply: 34
The past is the past, and we are where we are. What is important is what happens next. Starting tomorrow.

We have 11 new players. Now they have to deliver.

We have thrown away countless winnable games in the last two months.  The Crawley game is another one. This time we must win.

This cat has already used up most of it's nine lives. We can't afford to lose another one.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 22, 2021, 9:27pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from RonMariner
The past is the past, and we are where we are. What is important is what happens next. Starting tomorrow.

We have 11 new players. Now they have to deliver.

We have thrown away countless winnable games in the last two months.  The Crawley game is another one. This time we must win.

This cat has already used up most of it's nine lives. We can't afford to lose another one.

Yep. The fat lady hasn’t sung yet, so we go again, taking it one game at a time, but making sure we leave nothing on the field.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 22, 2021, 10:24pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope
We now have a virtually new team, the signs of improvement were there during the last game, all we need is for luck to go our way for a change and confidence will return. With the new squad I believe we still have every chance of staying up.
Come on Town we know you can do it
UTM

What we need is for someone to score some goals.
Posted by: DB, February 23, 2021, 12:56pm; Reply: 37
A New Beginning Starts Tonight with 3 points for the first Win of the Year
Posted by: RonMariner, February 23, 2021, 5:34pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from DB
A New Beginning Starts Tonight with 3 points for the first Win of the Year

I think you may well be correct.

Hope so!
Posted by: DB, February 23, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 39
That's the start tonight, Harrogate next. Staying up
Posted by: DB, February 26, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 40
Crawley was the start. Another win tomorrow at Harrogate. Positive thinking, COME ON TOWN
Posted by: forza ivano, February 26, 2021, 8:24pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from DB
Crawley was the start. Another win tomorrow at Harrogate. Positive thinking, COME ON TOWN

We wont get that lucky twice in a row.the quality of the performance will need to be far higher in order to get even a draw.play at the same level as tuesday and we will lose by 2 or 3 imho
Posted by: DB, February 26, 2021, 8:50pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from forza ivano

We wont get that lucky twice in a row.the quality of the performance will need to be far higher in order to get even a draw.play at the same level as tuesday and we will lose by 2 or 3 imho

Tuesday we were crap but won. Tomorrow cannot be worse but they will have more confidence so I expect something better. Harrogate are a jackal and hyde team so they should loose .

Respect you opinion but for me it's a WIN :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by: smokey111, February 26, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from DB

Tuesday we were crap but won. Tomorrow cannot be worse but they will have more confidence so I expect something better. Harrogate are a jackal and hyde team so they should loose .

You have just reminded me of one of my favourite films.....The Day of the Jekyll.
Posted by: Zmariner, February 26, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from forza ivano

I agree , will need to play way better to get even a draw utm
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 27, 2021, 12:17am; Reply: 45
Quoted from smokey111

You have just reminded me of one of my favourite films.....The Day of the Jekyll.

Wrong board mate!

But I agree.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 27, 2021, 9:39am; Reply: 46
Quoted from smokey111

Favourite soap actor

Jekyll duckworth
Posted by: RonMariner, February 27, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 47
New beginning?

More likely a false dawn.
Posted by: DB, February 27, 2021, 7:10pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from RonMariner
New beginning?

More likely a false dawn.

Today I agree. Come Monday the optimism will flow and the NL will be null and void and success will be ours for the taking.

I'm on a nice bottle of red wine and the effects are brilliant. Just pressed wrong key, Town are top !!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 28, 2021, 5:07am; Reply: 49
Quoted from DB

Wrong again DB.

How about saying we will lose for a change, we might win on Tuesday then.  ;)
Posted by: DB, February 28, 2021, 7:34am; Reply: 50
Quoted from arryarryarry

Wrong again DB.

How about saying we will lose for a change, we might win on Tuesday then.  ;)

Can't be right all the time life would be boring. On a negative note I had a word with the bus company but they didn't have enough bus's to fill the gaps in our defence! Couldn't make out whether he said sieve or colander but holes anyhow.

Posted by: denni266, February 28, 2021, 7:45am; Reply: 51
A new beginning  ---Yes in none league
Posted by: RonMariner, February 28, 2021, 10:34am; Reply: 52
Sadly our change of manager has not given us any sort of uplift.

Bradford changed manager in December when they were deep in the relegation mix and since then have won 9 and drawn 3 of their 13 games. They also brought in 9 new players in the January window, which shows that you do not need months to bed in new players.  Assuming you get the right players.

So a change of fortune is possible if you get it right. I am afraid we just did not get it right.

I said at the time that we needed to bring in quality players with plenty of experience. Players of proven  L1 and above caliber and experience. I said that we could not rely on kids and has-beens. It would be expensive, but the cost of relegation would be far greater.

Looks like we will be paying the price yet again.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:48pm