Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BlackAndWhiteAndRedAllOver, January 25, 2021, 12:15pm
Town allegedly looking at him, did well for Hurst at Shrewsbury

https://upthemariners.co.uk/2021/01/25/⚡-hurst-planning-payne-remedy-for-town
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 25, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 1
About 300 clubs by the age of 29.

But still, a few patches of being semi prolific over the last few years. But can we create chances for him?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 25, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from AdamHaddock
About 300 clubs by the age of 29.

But still, a few patches of being semi prolific over the last few years. But can we create chances for him?

This is the type of response we get whenever we are linked with anyone.

He helped Hurst get Shrewsbury to the league 1 play off final, he can't be that bad.

We have a properly woeful team, ill take him instantly
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 25, 2021, 12:28pm; Reply: 3
I think it's the norm these days, there doesn't seem to be a player in their late 20s at this level who hasn't played for at least 10 clubs
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 25, 2021, 12:36pm; Reply: 4
What is a striker?  Well only half in jest.  
Posted by: RichMariner, January 25, 2021, 12:37pm; Reply: 5
I think he brought Payne in during the transfer window when they were in the bottom four.

Again, you looked at someone like LJL and you wondered why Hurst signed him. I admit, he had his flaws but when you consider he was in the side to make the ball stick in the final third, and that his finishing was often awry, he still scored 20 goals in a season.

What we would give to have someone score 10 or even 8 between now and the end of the season.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 25, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 6
Or even 1 Rich!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 25, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 7
Any source for this rumour?
Posted by: FrazerGTFC, January 25, 2021, 1:14pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Any source for this rumour?

Up the mariners very reliable source  https://t.co/jmU4lDTC4s
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 25, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 9
He’s decent.

That website is always spot on with it’s info. The best itk town page, because it’s the only one that’s actually itk.
Posted by: essexexile, January 25, 2021, 1:56pm; Reply: 10
I’d sign the Shop stick him on the pen spot like Wycombe did with Akinfenwa reared havoc scored a few as well
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 25, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 11
I'd sign Payne purely in the hope we'd stop seeing posts about Lenell John-Lewis
Posted by: Ruston AT, January 25, 2021, 2:04pm; Reply: 12

I'd sign Payne so I wouldn't have to endure MG again.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 25, 2021, 2:26pm; Reply: 13
Well he certainly seems to have an interesting history, especially at Bristol Rovers!
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-fans-hit-out-3692361

Reading this my first thoughts were it's another Wes Thomas.  Then you watch the videos of his goals and they seem quite similar in style, no bad thing.  

I think the attitude question is one that may worry some but we're hardly shutting the door for all the quality strikers wanting to come here.  

That site is usually spot on, although it looks like Payne has just come back from injury and not played much at all in the last year.  Perhaps Tranmere want to offload him to free up a wage/space.
Posted by: paramariner, January 25, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 14
Apparently been out 3 months but fit to return now. Big worries to me for match fitness /sharpness, would have been a great signing if fully fit.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2021, 2:48pm; Reply: 15
Hurst seemed to get a tune out of him at the Shrews, and some players thrive more with some managers than others. I'm sure PH will be certain he is fit enough for the fight if he were to sign him.

I'd take anyone half decent at the moment.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 25, 2021, 2:52pm; Reply: 16
Always impressed me when I've seen him play.. Good signing if it happens..
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 25, 2021, 3:07pm; Reply: 17
Tranmere just signed a young striker on loan....
Posted by: davmariner, January 25, 2021, 3:15pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Tranmere just signed a young striker on loan....

https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2021/january/charlie-jolley-joins-tranmere-rovers-for-undisclosed-fee/ Permanent deal.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 25, 2021, 3:19pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from davmariner

my bad, got bit excited and the thought of a new striker
Posted by: DB, January 25, 2021, 3:35pm; Reply: 20
Hope this thread doesn't turn out to be like the Chadwick one
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, January 25, 2021, 3:42pm; Reply: 21
👀
Bet there will be a tea time signing announcement
Posted by: Tommy, January 25, 2021, 3:50pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from diehardmariner
Well he certainly seems to have an interesting history, especially at Bristol Rovers!
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-fans-hit-out-3692361

Reading this my first thoughts were it's another Wes Thomas.  Then you watch the videos of his goals and they seem quite similar in style, no bad thing.  

I think the attitude question is one that may worry some but we're hardly shutting the door for all the quality strikers wanting to come here.  

That site is usually spot on, although it looks like Payne has just come back from injury and not played much at all in the last year.  Perhaps Tranmere want to offload him to free up a wage/space.

I think we're at the stage now (bordering on desperation) where I'd take someone with a questionable attitude if they've got the quality to get us out of this mess.

Within reason of course, I don't mean lets sign someone who won't put any effort in. But a Wes Thomas type or someone who might fall out with a lot of clubs. We arguably need someone to have the Barry Conlon impact, but without us committing long term. Conlon had a great impact short term in the run-in under Newell when we got a few results and stayed up. What we did wrong was signing him permanently after that and building for the following season with him.
Posted by: BlackAndWhiteAndRedAllOver, January 25, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from DB
Hope this thread doesn't turn out to be like the Chadwick one

Theres your answer  ;)
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1353734503479582720
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 25, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 24
Sounds like he can be a bit of a nasty girl private. Good.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 25, 2021, 4:08pm; Reply: 25
Signing just announced on RH

Looks good enough for me and I'm sure he's going to be good enough for Hurst

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Payne

UTM
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 25, 2021, 4:12pm; Reply: 26
;D

[tweet]1353734664981196800[/tweet]
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 25, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 27
https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2021/january/payne-joins-grimsby-town/
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, January 25, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 28
Feed this lad and he will score

Looks a right big nasty fella and exactly what we need right now.

Straight in for me playing off Hanson
Posted by: denni266, January 25, 2021, 4:38pm; Reply: 29
I an not suprised hardly anyone wants to come here . Getting stick about there past and if they   are any good etc etc  before they have put there boots on. Its not about the past  but about the future , come on give them a boost  not a fear of failure
Posted by: RonMariner, January 25, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 30
Just need some play makers to provide service to him and Hanson and we have a chance of some goal threat.

Hope the rumours about Rodman are also true.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 25, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 31
Getting the boys back together.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 25, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 32
Good signing always looked a decent player when seen him in past, him and Hanson up top tomorrow.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2021, 5:20pm; Reply: 33
Got proper footballer tats. Looks a handful.

Just hope he has a reet good debut, we could do with it.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 25, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from denni266
I an not suprised hardly anyone wants to come here . Getting stick about there past and if they   are any good etc etc  before they have put there boots on. Its not about the past  but about the future , come on give them a boost  not a fear of failure

I will give my usual answer. Players are not influenced by a few keyboard warriors, including me, saying whether they are any good or not, and it happens in every clubs forums at every level and every clubs twitter account.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 25, 2021, 5:36pm; Reply: 35
Big fan of him being called Stefan Steve. Anyway, good news.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 25, 2021, 5:36pm; Reply: 36
Let’s just welcome him and wish him good fortune in his time with us
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 25, 2021, 6:02pm; Reply: 37

Views from some of the Super White Army.

https://www.thefootballnetwork.net/boards/read/s383.htm?730,16910910
Posted by: lee65, January 25, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from arryarryarry

From the above,
Sounds like a PH player "I rated him, good physically and always put in a shift. Just like banks, he deserves a chance to be starting every week"  :)
Posted by: mimma, January 25, 2021, 6:18pm; Reply: 39
Under 30, what's going on?
Posted by: Kris2, January 25, 2021, 6:19pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

This is the type of response we get whenever we are linked with anyone.

He helped Hurst get Shrewsbury to the league 1 play off final, he can't be that bad.

We have a properly woeful team, ill take him instantly

Because nobody accepts less than somebody who scores 20 a season, which wouldn't be signing for the bottom end of League Two anyway. We'll take what we can get in the way of senior strikers at this point. Hanson struggles for fitness and Green gave up ages ago to coast through the end of his football career.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 25, 2021, 7:12pm; Reply: 41
Gotta say he does look like one nasty f@cker...wonder if Matt Green has played his last game unless Stefan gets injured??
Posted by: fishcake63, January 25, 2021, 8:30pm; Reply: 42
Good signing this just hope he's as nasty as everyone saying because we certainly lack in that department , you never know it might motivate some others to start been abit more aggressive , by that i don't mean go round kicking people but just generally getting stuck in , local derby saturday we never layed a glove on scunts
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2021, 8:35pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from fishcake63
Good signing this just hope he's as nasty as everyone saying because we certainly lack in that department , you never know it might motivate some others to start been abit more aggressive , by that i don't mean go round kicking people but just generally getting stuck in , local derby saturday we never layed a glove on scunts

Agreed. Hope he's like Matt Rhead was for Lincoln. He wound up defenders to great effect.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 25, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 44
Welcome Stefan. Hopefully some badly needed goal threat (not to mention leadership and character)
Posted by: moosey_club, January 25, 2021, 9:16pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from ginnywings
Got proper footballer tats. Looks a handful.

Just hope he has a reet good debut, we could do with it.

Elding had tatt's .... :o
Posted by: Meza, January 25, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 46
Some nice goals.  very happy we have someone who knows were the net is just hope he can hit the ground running.

[youtube]qUdM1_-6Tyw[/youtube]
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 26, 2021, 9:25am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Tommy

I think we're at the stage now (bordering on desperation) where I'd take someone with a questionable attitude if they've got the quality to get us out of this mess.

Within reason of course, I don't mean lets sign someone who won't put any effort in. But a Wes Thomas type or someone who might fall out with a lot of clubs. We arguably need someone to have the Barry Conlon impact, but without us committing long term. Conlon had a great impact short term in the run-in under Newell when we got a few results and stayed up. What we did wrong was signing him permanently after that and building for the following season with him.

Completely agree.  We're well beyond a position where we can afford to be picky.

Whilst never really a fan of short-term contracts, I like the fact that this is what's offered.  He's got 21 games to either impress Hurst into giving him a new deal or impressing someone else.  Maybe says a lot of the lad and his attitude that he's prepared to uproot in January to do that at a club 23rd in the table, when he could sit on his contract at a Tranmere side pushing for promotion.

I actually think this is a decent signing all round.  On paper he looks to have the attributes we need.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 26, 2021, 9:39am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Gotta say he does look like one nasty f@cker...wonder if Matt Green has played his last game unless Stefan gets injured??

I'm hoping Hurst goes for another forward to really ensure Matt Green is sent to the knackers yard.

But saying that, Green has been getting in ahead of Gibson & Jackson
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, January 26, 2021, 10:42am; Reply: 49
Quoted from moosey_club

Elding had tatt's .... :o

The "Marmite" forward who always put a good shift in and scored a few but not popular with the Fishy sharks.It's a pity we don't have someone in the same mould right now - although that could be about to charge hopefully.

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 26, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 50

The "Marmite" forward who always put a good shift in and scored a few but not popular with the Fishy sharks.It's a pity we don't have someone in the same mould right now - although that could be about to charge hopefully.

Interestingly that’s how my. Tranny Rovers mate described Payne
Posted by: Fishy clapper, January 26, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Interestingly that’s how my. Tranny Rovers mate described Payne

My tranny mate has never even heard of Payne, well not Stefan Payne anyway
Posted by: golfer, January 26, 2021, 1:41pm; Reply: 52
Oh you are a one clapper - by the way could you possibly lend me that lovely pink dress this evening that you wore for the match on Saturday ?   xxx
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 3:52am