Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2021, 12:57am
...are in the main, Sh1te.

After watching another underperforming team that play in black and white stripes, namely Newcastle, lose their latest game without bothering to mount an attack of note, it got me to thinking about teams in England that play in black and white, whether striped or not. Most, if not all, rarely do anything of note.

Is it a curse?  :-/
Posted by: DB, January 25, 2021, 1:07am; Reply: 1
Chorley v Wolves.  Not prima donna's but put in a whole hearted TEAM performance. Something our lot don't know how to do.
Posted by: Withnail, January 25, 2021, 11:11am; Reply: 2
Err....Juventus,  Santos...
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 25, 2021, 11:40am; Reply: 3
Sienna in Italy play in B/W currently mid table  in serial D went there some years ago while on Holiday in Tuscany The owner was caught up in some sort of Money scandel hence the club went bankrupt oops :P
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 25, 2021, 11:42am; Reply: 4
Went to see AC Siena a couple of times because they play in black and white and they’ve got a copy of our Dock Tower.
Believe they reformed under a different name.
When I went a was wearing my Food Town shirt, got some funny looks.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 25, 2021, 11:43am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Eastendmariner
Sienna in Italy play in B/W currently mid table  in serial D went there some years ago while on Holiday in Tuscany The owner was caught up in some sort of Money scandel hence the club went bankrupt oops :P

Was writing myself as you posted. They were in Serie A for a while before their money issues.
I saw them in Serie B
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 25, 2021, 12:07pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Withnail
Err....Juventus,  Santos...

No, Juventus play in white and black.
Posted by: RichMariner, January 25, 2021, 12:26pm; Reply: 7
Didn't Forest Green play in black and white stripes before Dale Vince came along?
Posted by: pen penfras, January 25, 2021, 1:13pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ginnywings

After watching another underperforming team that play in black and white stripes, namely Newcastle, lose their latest game without bothering to mount an attack of note, it got me to thinking about teams in England that play in black and white, whether striped or not. Most, if not all, rarely do anything of note.

I don't understand this opinion of Newcastle underperforming. They had 4 years in the top 6 around Kevin Keegan and you're going back to WW1 for them to get close to that. They've mostly been mid table top division throughout their existance with occasional drops to the level below and the odd year in the top 1/3. They're pretty much doing the same as they always have done and where their spending would expect them to be.
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, January 25, 2021, 1:34pm; Reply: 9
The year Notts. County were relegated from the league, they had a black horizontal band across the top of their shirts fro shoulder to shoulder.

A bit like ours this season.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 25, 2021, 1:37pm; Reply: 10
Tooting and Mitcham United play in black and white and don’t play in like us their home town. Also they haven’t won in months*!

* to be fair they haven’t played for months
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't understand this opinion of Newcastle underperforming. They had 4 years in the top 6 around Kevin Keegan and you're going back to WW1 for them to get close to that. They've mostly been mid table top division throughout their existance with occasional drops to the level below and the odd year in the top 1/3. They're pretty much doing the same as they always have done and where their spending would expect them to be.

Try telling that to their fans. They seem to have a chairman that is a Premier League version of John Fenty, unwilling to invest in top class players and always looking to get out.

It was just a random musing that I had about teams in black and white kits, nothing more, and I did say English teams.

We didn't always play in black and white stripes of course, adopting them in 1925, after which, we probably had our best years up to the war. We may be sh1te now, but I believe better times are coming and the stripes will be back.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 25, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 12
I went to see Besiktas in Istanbul.  Kicked off big time.  Riot police, missiles and tear gas.  Getting into the ground was a bit dodgy as hundreds of fans were pushing to get into one little entrance.  Once inside, nearly tripped over a bloke doing his daily prayers at the top of the stairs.
Posted by: Withnail, January 25, 2021, 3:07pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No, Juventus play in white and black.

Juve famously copied Notts County who play...in black and white.

Admittedly their tops have been more white than black in recent years but traditionally they play in black and white.

Don't even get me started on their latest away kit!

The only link we have to Juve, that I'm aware of, other than the obvious one (Ivano), is former Grimsby Telegraph photographer and Town fan John Moscrop, who is/was Juve's official photographer.

Posted by: RonMariner, January 25, 2021, 3:08pm; Reply: 14
Poor old Juve. They rely on a 34 year old up front.
Posted by: Withnail, January 25, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings

Try telling that to their fans. They seem to have a chairman that is a Premier League version of John Fenty, unwilling to invest in top class players and always looking to get out.

It was just a random musing that I had about teams in black and white kits, nothing more, and I did say English teams.

We didn't always play in black and white stripes of course, adopting them in 1925, after which, we probably had our best years up to the war. We may be sh1te now, but I believe better times are coming and the stripes will be back.

They're the most deluded fans in the UK.They've been a woeful Premier League club (when top flight) for about 20 years.

Cracking team in the mid 90s mind. Shame they didn't win the league under Keegan in 95/96.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 25, 2021, 7:44pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ginnywings

That says more about the delusion of fans than the under achievement of the club. They are pretty much where they'd be expected to be. Blaming Mike Ashley for maintaining the status quo is a bit harsh. He just happens to have come in straight after the most successful period in their history.

Most fans expect their team to overperform, it's not possible that every club succeeds at that
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 25, 2021, 7:46pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ginnywings

Ask Chorley....  ;)
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 25, 2021, 7:59pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Went to see AC Siena a couple of times because they play in black and white and they’ve got a copy of our Dock Tower.
Believe they reformed under a different name.
When I went a was wearing my Food Town shirt, got some funny looks.

Siena’s one of the most beautiful small cities in Italy. The first time I ever went I stayed in a hotel that backed on to the Stadio Artemio Franchi. I settled down to watch the match from the balcony and Mrs Fosters-Voles dragged me out to sightsee instead.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 25, 2021, 8:04pm; Reply: 19

Siena’s one of the most beautiful small cities in Italy. The first time I ever went I stayed in a hotel that backed on to the Stadio Artemio Franchi. I settled down to watch the match from the balcony and Mrs Fosters-Voles dragged me out to sightsee instead.

Been a few times. Love it there. Got married to the previous Mrs in the Palazzo Publico.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 25, 2021, 8:04pm; Reply: 20
SC Portimonense play in black & white, small town team in the Primeira Liga in Portugal. Basically, they do what we used to, play above their level. However, there’s talk that they might get taken over by the group that own Man City. Would be quite sad.
Posted by: Reverendmariner, January 25, 2021, 8:14pm; Reply: 21
The "other" GTFC, the mighty Gingerbreads....
Posted by: moosey_club, January 25, 2021, 9:14pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from moss_side_mariner
The year Notts. County were relegated from the league, they had a black horizontal band across the top of their shirts fro shoulder to shoulder.

A bit like ours this season.

They also had a load of cr@p players inside the shirt as well...............a bit like ours this season
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, January 26, 2021, 9:49am; Reply: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

They also had a load of cr@p players inside the shirt as well...............a bit like ours this season

Fair point, well made.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, January 26, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 24
Quoted from ginnywings

Don't know if you've ever read any of the academic research into this, but there's a lot of evidence to suggest that teams in red are more successful than those who aren't. Also, teams in stripes are less likely to be successful, though I think that's more to do with the fact there are fewer of them (Barcelona and Juve are the ones that buck that trend). Last team to win the league wearing stripes in England was Sunderland in 1936.

https://www.thatthinkingfeeling.co.uk/blog/red-kit-team-win-at-sports

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1103249/Bad-news-Hull-Sunderland-Wigan--stripes-just-dont-it.html
Posted by: Withnail, January 26, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 25
Last team to win the league wearing stripes in England was Sunderland in 1936.

That's a cracking bit of trivia about the last team to win the top flight in stripes, Tanga.

Incredible it's that long ago.

I had seen that research which suggests teams in red usually do better.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2021, 11:34am; Reply: 26

Don't know if you've ever read any of the academic research into this, but there's a lot of evidence to suggest that teams in red are more successful than those who aren't. Also, teams in stripes are less likely to be successful, though I think that's more to do with the fact there are fewer of them (Barcelona and Juve are the ones that buck that trend). Last team to win the league wearing stripes in England was Sunderland in 1936.

https://www.thatthinkingfeeling.co.uk/blog/red-kit-team-win-at-sports

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1103249/Bad-news-Hull-Sunderland-Wigan--stripes-just-dont-it.html

Yes, I was aware of the research. It does seem strange and something that has always fascinated me.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 12:48pm