Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hurstomariner, January 24, 2021, 8:19pm
Are we going to sign a striker this week ??? Any options out there ??
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 24, 2021, 8:24pm; Reply: 1

Omar Bogle   8)
Posted by: forza ivano, January 24, 2021, 8:29pm; Reply: 2
Another ex Town striker, not Bogle, is a far more likely arrival I'm afraid
Posted by: Hurstomariner, January 24, 2021, 8:30pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from forza ivano

Amond by any chance ?
Posted by: Abdul19, January 24, 2021, 8:32pm; Reply: 4
Shaun Tuton?
Posted by: Hurstomariner, January 24, 2021, 8:34pm; Reply: 5
Anybody reckon Chadwick in with a good shout to come ?
Posted by: Numanoid, January 24, 2021, 8:35pm; Reply: 6
Shop I reckon
Posted by: Hagrid, January 24, 2021, 8:35pm; Reply: 7
Well we need 5/6 signings.  I hope to god Hurst can find them
Posted by: forza ivano, January 24, 2021, 8:35pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Hurstomariner

Amond by any chance ?

unfortunately not.

1 thing that needs repeating is that it doesn't matter who we sign as a centre forward they are going to have a very tough time because we don't get the ball to them enough, let alone create chances for them
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 24, 2021, 8:43pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from forza ivano

Step forward Richard Brodie😉
Posted by: Davec, January 24, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 10
Jamie Proctor has gone back to Rotherham after a spell at Newport.

He has played under Hurst before and Rotherham manager is Hurst's best mate by all accounts.

His career has waned slightly over the last few years but he has previously done quite well in league 1 and league 2 and he is 28 so it's unlike he's in his 30s.
Posted by: psgmariner, January 24, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 11
Anthony Straker
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 12
We will almost certainly see a new striker or two this coming week. The quality of said striker/s is open to conjecture. We may get somebody good who had to lower his sights a little as the window closure gets closer, or we may have to take what's available given that anybody even slightly competent will probably be an improvement. Hurst will be working his way down his list until we land someone.

Possibly a young player on the verges at a higher league club, like a Chadwick, or someone older on the fringes of another side looking to get out for games, or move on. Maybe even a free agent, though they would have to be fit and ready to go.

Either way, I expect we will have someone new up front against Stevenage, hopefully Barrow.

If not, we will be relying on what we have and that doesn't bear contemplation.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 24, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Davec

He has played under Hurst before and Rotherham manager is Hurst's best mate by all accounts.

His career has waned slightly over the last few years but he has previously done quite well in league 1 and league 2 and he is 28 so it's unlike he's in his 30s.

Hurst was asked about him and said that proctor wasn't the type of forward he needed. I don't really know Proctor's style ,but others might be able to give you a better insight

Ginny - you have a P.M.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Davec

Decent shout, but he is more of a forward than a goalscorer, if you see what I mean. Would need someone more prolific alongside him.

Don't think he'd bring us anything Hanson can't provide, if he stays fit of course.

I think there may be a few released this coming week to give them a chance to pick up another team. Free agents can still be acquired after the window of course.
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 24, 2021, 9:04pm; Reply: 15
Hoban! 😂😂 😉
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 24, 2021, 9:05pm; Reply: 16
Duffy.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2021, 9:06pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from forza ivano

Hurst was asked about him and said that proctor wasn't the type of forward he needed. I don't really know Proctor's style ,but others might be able to give you a better insight

Ginny - you have a P.M.

Didn't know PH had said that. Chimes with my thoughts on him. He isn't an out and out goalscorer.
Posted by: Grimal, January 24, 2021, 9:09pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Tinymariner
Hoban! 😂😂 😉

To old  ;).
Posted by: BlackAndWhiteAndRedAllOver, January 24, 2021, 9:14pm; Reply: 19
What's Sam Jones doing nowadays?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 24, 2021, 9:16pm; Reply: 20
Plenty of decent strikers out there without a club:

Kyle Lafferty
Anthony stokes
Kaylen hinds

To name but a few
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 24, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 21
Well the only ex-GTFC striker who is on fire is Louis Robles........sorry if you've just had a little bit of sick come up.

Last season he scored 11 in 23 matches for Bala Town and this season he has scored 7 goals in 7 games for TNS
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 24, 2021, 9:29pm; Reply: 22
Been as I’m bored and everybody is dragging up former town strikers the one I do think could help is Ollie Palmer. Appreciate he’s now at Wimbledon & unlikely to ever turn up here again but thought I would join in as sure as hell don’t have a clue who else we should be signing only that he needs to be very good!!
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 24, 2021, 9:31pm; Reply: 23
If we could manage it, and think its realistic, Podge and The Shop,  I'd take it and would stand a chance of survival if Lennells injuries are behind him.
Posted by: golfer, January 24, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 24
Well we need 5/6 signings.  I hope to god Hurst can find them[/quote]

I hope Hurst can find god - we need him
Posted by: Norseman, January 24, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 25
Definitely not the shop
Posted by: forza ivano, January 24, 2021, 10:11pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Norseman
Definitely not the shop

you sure???? ;)
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 24, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Step forward Richard Brodie😉

If we were to sign him or any other has-been ex player I would order another "Hurst Out" banner. ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2021, 11:36pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Kyle Lafferty
Anthony stokes
Kaylen hinds

To name but a few

Hinds is a strange one. Went to Wolfsburg for 2 million quid from Arsenal as a teenager. Played one game in 2 years, was loaned out to a club in the lower German leagues but was sacked for not turning up to training for several weeks. Ended up at Watford and lasted a year before being released in August and doesn't appear to have found a club. One of the promising England youth squad who had scouts from all over Europe watching them. Seems to be another waste of talent.

Don't think there is much chance with the other 2 you mention.
Posted by: DB, January 25, 2021, 1:09am; Reply: 29
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Kyle Lafferty
Anthony stokes
Kaylen hinds

To name but a few

If they are decent strikers why haven't they got a club?
Posted by: Hurstomariner, January 25, 2021, 6:56am; Reply: 30
Quoted from DB

Very true ! Or maybe too greedy when it comes to salary discussions .
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 25, 2021, 6:56am; Reply: 31
Quoted from DB

Stokes looks like a real problem child, doesnt turn up for training. leaves the country for weeks on end and generally looks like a real attitude problem.

Lafferty probably past it now and was released at minor level.

The other lad totaly non proven really, we have some of them already.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 25, 2021, 8:26am; Reply: 32
I like the shop alot, but Hanson is level's above him.

LJL would be brought in as cover for Hanson, as they do a 'similar' role, but other than that, he's not going to solve many of the issues we face
Posted by: davmariner, January 25, 2021, 8:42am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I like the shop alot, but Hanson is level's above him.

LJL would be brought in as cover for Hanson, as they do a 'similar' role, but other than that, he's not going to solve many of the issues we face

If The Shop can still hold the ball up and keep it in the opposition final third, stopping the ball coming back at our defence, I’d say that’ll go a long way to shoring up our defensive problems!
Posted by: Grimal, January 25, 2021, 9:00am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Hurstomariner

Very true ! Or maybe too greedy when it comes to salary discussions .

Well, they definitely won't be coming here then.

Posted by: pontoonlew, January 25, 2021, 9:18am; Reply: 35
The excuse of ‘we can’t find anybody’ will wear thin around Wednesday this week so we’d better hope Hursts phone is glued to his head and the club shop source some top quality pens in the next couple of days.
Posted by: Davec, January 25, 2021, 12:04pm; Reply: 36
Is anything happening today? We really need some signings in ASAP, ideally before tomorrow's game
Posted by: Hagrid, January 25, 2021, 12:14pm; Reply: 37
Stefan Payne. Supposedly
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 25, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Davec

If he's 28 it is, indeed, very unlike he's in his 30s.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 25, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 39
Should have used May’s money to bride the opposition
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 25, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 40
[tweet]1353677391822991362[/tweet]

[tweet]1353677844216475649[/tweet]

EFL Hub do occasionally get a few right.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 25, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from GollyGTFC
[tweet]1353677391822991362[/tweet]

[tweet]1353677844216475649[/tweet]

EFL Hub do occasionally get a few right.

Golly, this Twitter account is the worst I've even seen, never gets anything right and just spouts boll@x most of the time.
Posted by: jaf243, January 25, 2021, 12:52pm; Reply: 42
Scott Vernon is clearly the answer. ;)

All jokes aside he was a far more inteligent player than most we have now, bringing others in, and has scored a few at clee, better than Green thats for sure  :o
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 25, 2021, 12:54pm; Reply: 43
IMHO I think we need a player to control the midfield and communicate to defence/attack. As much as I respect macca, I don’t honestly think he is the right man to be captain. Who is? God only knows. But the lack of giving a 5hit is starting to become apparent. It was imperative we didn’t lose last Saturday, but we did. Now tomorrow is massive, even at this stage of the season.
Posted by: FrazerGTFC, January 25, 2021, 1:05pm; Reply: 44
Stefan Payne Did well with Hurst in Shrewsbury https://upthemariners.co.uk/2021/01/25/⚡-hurst-planning-payne-remedy-for-town/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Posted by: Norseman, January 25, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from forza ivano

you sure???? ;)

Absolutely
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 25, 2021, 1:14pm; Reply: 46
Alex Rodman only scores spectacular goals from 30 yards.  We would not cope with all the new, sudden excitement. (And goals).    
Posted by: RonMariner, January 25, 2021, 1:23pm; Reply: 47
Rodman, Payne, Bogle, sign them all I say!

Can you imagine having those three lining up for us.

Well, I can dream.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 25, 2021, 1:30pm; Reply: 48
Can someone remind me, does Rodman played on the left or the right?
Posted by: Tommy, January 25, 2021, 1:42pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from RonMariner
Can someone remind me, does Rodman played on the left or the right?

Either.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 25, 2021, 2:05pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from FrazerGTFC
Stefan Payne Did well with Hurst in Shrewsbury https://upthemariners.co.uk/2021/01/25/⚡-hurst-planning-payne-remedy-for-town/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Been out for a long time at current club Tranmere. No where near match fit apparently. Not what we need right now i believe!
Posted by: Withnail, January 25, 2021, 2:49pm; Reply: 51
As much as we desperately need forwards I think we're also crying out for a hard nut in the middle of the park who will intimidate the opposition and put the fear of God into our players, so they give nothing less than 100%, every game.

Pains me to say it but other than Waterfall and Pollock we're a team of pussays and weak as kitten's pish.

If - and it's a big if - we can find such a player, I'd give him the captain's armband in a heartbeat.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 25, 2021, 2:59pm; Reply: 52
Oh, that's good. Him on the left, Morais on the right. That would definitely help.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 26, 2021, 3:43pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Norseman
Definitely not the shop

you were saying Norseman??

think you might need to find another sauce/source/sorss !   :P ;D ;D ;)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 26, 2021, 6:01pm; Reply: 54
Have we signed LJL then?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 27, 2021, 5:57pm; Reply: 55
Hurst always has an eye for a non-league player in any playing position. Hurst signed that winger Abo Eisa for both Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe who nailed two past us on Saturday.

One striker that seems to shine over the last 3-seasons so far is that Kabongo Tshimanga at Boreham Wood, he's only 23-years-old, out of contract in a few months. 26 goals in 53 appearances at Boreham Wood in National League, before that at National North scored 24 in 42 appearances with Oxford City, Tshimanga has scored 9 in 19 games this season so far.  The next Omar Bogle? Maybe even better potential?

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=78913
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 27, 2021, 8:32pm; Reply: 56
Is it 5pm on Friday the signing time for the player to be available for Saturday, like to think that basically gives us 2 days before Stevenage, also hop3 it’s someone who can step straight in, we don’t have the time to wait while they get match fit.
Posted by: Incognito, January 27, 2021, 8:50pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Gaffer58
Is it 5pm on Friday the signing time for the player to be available for Saturday, like to think that basically gives us 2 days before Stevenage, also hop3 it’s someone who can step straight in, we don’t have the time to wait while they get match fit.

Midday on the day before the fixture I believe. So Friday for Saturday's game.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 27, 2021, 11:20pm; Reply: 58
Didn't that chap Greg who was on trial with us, sign for Southend an hour before we kicked off and two before he scored against us
Posted by: Norseman, January 28, 2021, 6:02am; Reply: 59
Quoted from forza ivano

you were saying Norseman??

think you might need to find another sauce/source/sorss !   :P ;D ;D ;)

No i knew he would come. I was saying i defo dont want him
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 28, 2021, 7:45am; Reply: 60
Quoted from Incognito

Midday on the day before the fixture I believe. So Friday for Saturday's game.

Wouldn’t be too sure of that, Luke Spokes has played loads of games for us and there’s still no official confirmation that he’s signed
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 28, 2021, 10:41am; Reply: 61
Haha, got to love Cod Almighty....
Quoted from Cod Almighty - Posted: 27 January 2021
"Strong rumours abound that Paul Hurst is after Hereford's main strikerman, who goes by the name of Lennell John Lewis. You know, like the shop. Imagine the fun if he came here! We could call him "The Shop" and have tee-shirts made and that sort of stuff. Sources close to the club describe him as a hard-working striker, good at holding the ball up, but perhaps not the most composed in front of goal. Rumours also abound that a tricky winger called Alex Rodman might be on Hurst's radar, and also a big centre-forward called Omar Bogle. I'm also hearing whispers about a winger called Mike Brolly, who takes a good corner, and a goalkeeper called Nigel Batch who looks like he is being eaten by his own beard. Nothing solid yet. We will have to wait and see."
http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=7812
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 28, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 62
What happened with that guy who was training with us, was it Giles Coke?  Haven't heard anymore about him.
Posted by: FrazerGTFC, January 28, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 63
Quoted from 123614
What happened with that guy who was training with us, was it Giles Coke?  Haven't heard anymore about him.

He’s probably back at Hereford
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 28, 2021, 11:21am; Reply: 64
Quoted from 123614

signed for Stevenage

;)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 28, 2021, 11:23am; Reply: 65
Quoted from FrazerGTFC

He’s probably back at Hereford

But that's what I'm saying, we don't know, no info coming out about him and he was training with us for a fair amount of time.

Posted by: ginnywings, January 28, 2021, 11:32am; Reply: 66
Quoted from 123614

But that's what I'm saying, we don't know, no info coming out about him and he was training with us for a fair amount of time.

He's training with us and being assessed with the view to signing or not. We know that because PH said so in last weeks press interview. There's nothing more to know at this stage.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 28, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 67
Thank you.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 28, 2021, 5:44pm; Reply: 68
No signings today.

Time is running out. Let's hope we see some movement tomorrow.
Posted by: DB, January 28, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from RonMariner
No signings today.

Time is running out. Let's hope we see some movement tomorrow.

With the NL looking as if it will be suspended the only movement I can see is Phil and Fenty shredding the cheque book.
Posted by: denni266, January 28, 2021, 6:30pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from DB

With the NL looking as if it will be suspended the only movement I can see is Phil and Fenty shredding the cheque book.

Have we not upgraded to debit cards yet ,, silly me  this is grimsby  av got my coat on ready  ;D
Posted by: DB, January 28, 2021, 7:19pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from denni266

Have we not upgraded to debit cards yet ,, silly me  this is grimsby  av got my coat on ready  ;D

I don't know if hearsay is right but the cheque book number never got passed cheque 16, 1 per year. And what about 10 bob notes in the safe!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 28, 2021, 7:26pm; Reply: 72
Newport sign striker on 18 month deal from League 1 Plymouth.

Must be nice to be in the position to do that.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 28, 2021, 7:58pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from 123614

I have been told our interest is waning , after starting off the week full of energy and fizz after a couple of days he went a bit flat....
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 28, 2021, 8:35pm; Reply: 74
Thanks for that.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 28, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from ginnywings
Newport sign striker on 18 month deal from League 1 Plymouth.

Must be nice to be in the position to do that.

Wonder if that means Podge is surplus to requirements?

Asking for a friend.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 28, 2021, 9:53pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from RonMariner

Wonder if that means Podge is surplus to requirements?

Asking for a friend.

Doubt it. Brought in 2 forwards, including Windsor but 2 of their loanee forwards have gone back to their clubs.
Posted by: davmariner, January 28, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 77
Amond has been starting for Newport recently.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 29, 2021, 12:08am; Reply: 78
Quoted from ginnywings

Doubt it. Brought in 2 forwards, including Windsor but 2 of their loanee forwards have gone back to their clubs.

Interesting that a team at the top of the division are happy to have Windsor but Hollow Words sent him back and when asked why, refused to give any explanation whatsoever.

What was the guy on?

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 29, 2021, 1:02am; Reply: 79
Quoted from DB

I don't know if hearsay is right but the cheque book number never got passed cheque 16, 1 per year. And what about 10 bob notes in the safe!

Knowing Town’s penny wise pound poor approach under Fenty, it wouldn’t surprise me if we had ten-bob notes or at least out of date fivers and tenners in the safe.

“It’s no good putting them in the bank Steve, interest rates are shocking and we’ll only get charged for using their services. Stick em in the safe and they’ll come in handy gor those hairs on the back if the neck signings.”
Posted by: RonMariner, January 29, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 80
Hope to Christ that we see some activity on the signings front today.
Posted by: Kris2, January 29, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 81
Not seen the people who know Harry Clifton's grandad throwing out names so not very likely. Dunno if Hurst will confirm anything today or just confirm that stuff like LJL is dead in the water by now.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 29, 2021, 10:14am; Reply: 82
Could they be waiting to find out if National league and or Hereford season over before signing more?
Posted by: davmariner, January 29, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 83
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Could they be waiting to find out if National league and or Hereford season over before signing more?

More likely PH is exploring other options first.
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 29, 2021, 10:20am; Reply: 84
PH said he’s hopeful of getting a signing in today, but time’s against them.
Posted by: FrazerGTFC, January 29, 2021, 10:46am; Reply: 85
PH said nothings happend with LJL So I doubt he’s coming
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 4:05am