Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: cardiffmariner, January 24, 2021, 12:32pm
Just wondering if anyone is able to shed any light on some cartoon illustrations that have been in the family for years. They belonged to my granddad but where they came from has been lost in the mists of time.

They are a collection of 30s illustrations (in the typical postcard style of the time) and each illustration shows the result of a match, along with a witty drawing and pithy comment. They are A5 size and we think maybe they were produced weekly for sale for people to build up a collection over the season.

The illustrations have been signed by a C. Pinchbeck with the address 24 Claremont Road, Cleethorpes. Beyond that we don't have much to go on. We think they may have been linked into the Telegraph but this is just a guess really.

Does anyone have anything similar or know anything about who C. Pinchbeck might be? Cheers.
Posted by: Withnail, January 24, 2021, 1:34pm; Reply: 1
Hi Cardiff Mariner.  I went to a school with a Pinchbeck. Presumably the same family.

PM me if you want me to put you in touch with him.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 24, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 2
I went to school with a Geoffrey Pinchbeck circa 1966-71.

I think this could be like I am Spartacus.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 24, 2021, 2:36pm; Reply: 3
Any chance of putting them on here Cardiff? I’d be interested to see them .

On that subject isn’t it about time there was a simple way of sticking pics on here with one click ?!
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, January 24, 2021, 2:46pm; Reply: 4
Nothing much changes, today's squad is still full of cartoon characters !
Posted by: cardiffmariner, January 24, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 5
Sure. My brother currently has them and has sent a load of pics over via WhatsApp. What’s the easiest way to upload them?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 24, 2021, 3:02pm; Reply: 6
I went to school with a Geoffrey Pinchbeck circa 1966-71.

I think this could be like I am Spartacus.

It is. There was a Pinchbeck at my school in Cleethorpes in the 70s.
Posted by: Withnail, January 24, 2021, 4:21pm; Reply: 7
Ha ha! I didn't realise quite how common a surname Pinchbeck is, nor that there's a village of the same name in Lincs.

Offer still stands Cardiff but it may well be a bum steer judging by how many others on here went to school with a Pinchbeck!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 24, 2021, 5:56pm; Reply: 8
Spartacus?  We should be signing him, all all versions of him.  He is a fighter, a winner and bonds teams together. 😏😌
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 1:07am