Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 23, 2021, 3:36pm
Absolutely furious in his interview

He is questioning the players big time, and is clearly not happy with the majority of them.

I'm expecting a big week, and players leaving that he probably wasn't expecting to be getting rid of when he first joined.

So much passion, it gives you that little bit hope knowing he's in charge
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, January 23, 2021, 3:40pm; Reply: 1
He needs to be furious. That was a fcuking disgrace.
Posted by: chicaneuk, January 23, 2021, 3:40pm; Reply: 2
Can’t wait to have a listen.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 23, 2021, 3:42pm; Reply: 3
Anyone got a link please?
Posted by: grimps, January 23, 2021, 3:43pm; Reply: 4
He’s just saying what we’re all thinking , these lot are about to be unemployed in the middle of a pandemic and a recession; they have no transferable skills and can’t see how they’ll get on in life at the minute .
You might think I’m a position like that they’d like to put a little effort in and try and keep their jobs  
Posted by: moosey_club, January 23, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 5
Are you trying to tell me that he didnt blame covid for the loss ?  

What poppycock.

Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 23, 2021, 3:45pm; Reply: 6
I feel sorry for him. Even more though I feel sorry for myself and for all the fans of this football club.
Through the non league years we supported our team in numbers all over the place regularly taking over a thousand fans to what felt all ends of the earth.
The last few seasons we have done the same whether it was Palace, Leyton Orient, Plymouth if fact wherever yet again.
We have been let down on a criminal scale. I am not a violent man but I feel I could take a shovel to the back of a certain someone's head at the moment. We have deserved much better than what we've been given. Taken for granted doesn't even cover it.
Posted by: Humbercod, January 23, 2021, 3:47pm; Reply: 7
Does Hurst get a free pass this season regardless? To say the players are not good enough is one thing, but when you can’t even fire them up for a local derby is another.
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 23, 2021, 3:50pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from chipsandgravy
I feel sorry for him. Even more though I feel sorry for myself and for all the fans of this football club.
Through the non league years we supported our team in numbers all over the place regularly taking over a thousand fans to what felt all ends of the earth.
The last few seasons we have done the same whether it was Palace, Leyton Orient, Plymouth if fact wherever yet again.
We have been let down on a criminal scale. I am not a violent man but I feel I could take a shovel to the back of a certain someone's head at the moment. We have deserved much better than what we've been given. Taken for granted doesn't even cover it.

What makes it worse is that he expects all his money back for the shiteshow that he has presided over... if you make mistakes in business, you carry the can... that is what happens... disgraceful... mismanagement doesn't even come close... :B
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 23, 2021, 3:51pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Humbercod
Does Hurst get a free pass this season regardless? To say the players are not good enough is one thing, but when you can’t even fire them up for a local derby is another.

They have not responded to him full stop, have they?

You would have expected some reaction; my only reasoning is that most of them know he doesn't really want them anyway so don't give monkeys what happens.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 23, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Humbercod

How do we know he didn't get them fired up before the kick off

Once they've gone out on the pitch it's all under their own control and they showed today that they don't have the desire to make up for any lack of ability they might have
Posted by: DB, January 23, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 11
You cannot whip a herd of donkeys to race against a team of pony's. A donkey is a donkey and plods, but if you consider it a donkey will plod along all day long for a carrot. Our are getting paid money and cannot even plod.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 23, 2021, 3:53pm; Reply: 12

Idiot. You know its all our fault , in fact , if anyone deserves the shovel its Lloyd Griffith , if he hadnt broken the May story we would be top of the league with a brand new training facility and the A180 would be gridlocked with prospective players queueing up to sign for us and The Ian Holloway University Campus would be welcoming students from all over the globe.

:-/
Posted by: Hagrid, January 23, 2021, 3:54pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Humbercod

From me he does. The players are an embarrassment
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, January 23, 2021, 3:54pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from grimps
they have no transferable skills  

Don't think you need the qualifier "transferable" in there.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 23, 2021, 3:55pm; Reply: 15
The lot of them were absent. Hopes had been pinned on Hanson but he was no better than green. I don’t know what worries me more, not being able to get players in or only being able to get a shower of sh1te in no better than what we have
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 23, 2021, 3:57pm; Reply: 16

They have not responded to him full stop, have they?

You would have expected some reaction; my only reasoning is that most of them know he doesn't really want them anyway so don't give monkeys what happens.

The cliche new manager bounce only happens when you have an under-performing team with the players to turn it around. We're not under-performing, we're exactly where we should be with the squad Holloway assembled.
Posted by: devs, January 23, 2021, 4:00pm; Reply: 17
Anyone got a link please to interview?
Posted by: bawarmy, January 23, 2021, 4:01pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from grimps
He’s just saying what we’re all thinking , these lot are about to be unemployed in the middle of a pandemic and a recession; they have no transferable skills and can’t see how they’ll get on in life at the minute .
You might think I’m a position like that they’d like to put a little effort in and try and keep their jobs  

Aldi are taking on. I don’t think they have the speed to work on their tills though.
Posted by: buckstown, January 23, 2021, 4:05pm; Reply: 19
His pre match interview was revealing as well. Said we'd clearly over committed on a couple of contracts when we should have had a better look (Gibson?)
When asked about departures he said no disrespect to the players but anyone leaving would be looking to drop a couple of leagues and with the national league partly stopping it made things difficult
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 23, 2021, 4:05pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from bawarmy

Aldi are taking on. I don’t think they have the speed to work on their tills though.

Speed of mind or action???  I would suggest neither... :(
Posted by: psgmariner, January 23, 2021, 4:06pm; Reply: 21
Hurst signed 4 of the 11 players who started today. We have somehow regressed under him and despite him claiming to have watched us for weeks he hasn’t addressed our two big problems (goalkeeper and striker). No free pass from me.
Posted by: devs, January 23, 2021, 4:09pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from psgmariner
Hurst signed 4 of the 11 players who started today. We have somehow regressed under him and despite him claiming to have watched us for weeks he hasn’t addressed our two big problems (goalkeeper and striker). No free pass from him.

Two of whom were making debuts
One playing his second full game

Grow up!

Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 23, 2021, 4:10pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

Idiot. You know its all our fault , in fact , if anyone deserves the shovel its Lloyd Griffith , if he hadnt broken the May story we would be top of the league with a brand new training facility and the A180 would be gridlocked with prospective players queueing up to sign for us and The Ian Holloway University Campus would be welcoming students from all over the globe.

:-/

Thank you for pointing that out! Of course your right!

Posted by: Humbercod, January 23, 2021, 4:12pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

How do we know he didn't get them fired up before the kick off

Once they've gone out on the pitch it's all under their own control and they showed today that they don't have the desire to make up for any lack of ability they might have

Gary Croft who was there commentating said at the end of the game united players looked absolutely exhausted, whilst some of the town players looked like they could of played another game.
That is unacceptable, Hanson on the Humberside now saying ‘we showed no desire’ again not acceptable, these are still professional players and it’s Hurst’s job to get the best out of them.
Posted by: Withnail, January 23, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from DB
You cannot whip a herd of donkeys to race against a team of pony's. A donkey is a donkey and plods, but if you consider it a donkey will plod along all day long for a carrot. Our are getting paid money and cannot even plod.

If you're comparing us to donkeys and Scunny to ponies that doesn't stack up as our donkeys beat those ponies only last month.

That said, we are donkeys but not working donkeys.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 23, 2021, 4:18pm; Reply: 26

Thank you for pointing that out! Of course your right!

;D
Posted by: grimps, January 23, 2021, 4:19pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Humbercod

Gary Croft who was there commentating said at the end of the game united players looked absolutely exhausted, whilst some of the town players looked like they could of played another game.
That is unacceptable, Hanson on the Humberside now saying ‘we showed no desire’ again not acceptable, these are still professional players and it’s Hurst’s job to get the best out of them.

Fair play to him to coming out and facing the music
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 23, 2021, 4:20pm; Reply: 28
Direct link >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p094xzty

[tweet]1353010836240007169[/tweet]
Posted by: RonMariner, January 23, 2021, 4:20pm; Reply: 29
Wow, that is one brutal interview. He questions whether some of these players have any future at all in football.

He also says that he doesn't care if he upsets the players because they are simply not showing acceptable effort.

He is clearly totally drunk off with them. He says he is embarrassed by them.  
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 23, 2021, 4:22pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Humbercod

I'd just posted about Hanson being on air on the match thread... agreed it is not acceptable. Is it too early to say the players don't want to play for Hurst. Or just don't want to play full stop  :-/

Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Hanson on RH now

Saying it wasn't about our quality but about our lack of desire

I know he was only one of the 11 that failed us but if he thought that about his team-mates, he should have been laying in to them out there.

Just being a bystander while everyone else isn't up for the fight isn't really acceptable either
Posted by: toontown, January 23, 2021, 4:24pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from buckstown
His pre match interview was revealing as well. Said we'd clearly over committed on a couple of contracts when we should have had a better look (Gibson?)
When asked about departures he said no disrespect to the players but anyone leaving would be looking to drop a couple of leagues and with the national league partly stopping it made things difficult

Yeah I said that before, green is NLN level at best nowadays,  Jackson and Gibson probably the same.

Of the rest I doubt many of our players would look good in the conference.

At least Hurst is now under no illusion as to just how bad our players are. However that doesn't explain continuing with green (and even more unbelievably into the 2nd half too).
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 23, 2021, 4:27pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Mariner93er

The cliche new manager bounce only happens when you have an under-performing team with the players to turn it around. We're not under-performing, we're exactly where we should be with the squad Holloway assembled.

I agree we are rubbish, but he should have been able to instil some sense of urgency, at the very least.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 33
Hanson, Habergham, the centre backs and Matete are possibly up to the task - the rest can go. Hendrie and Hewitt have really disappointed since Hurst came.

He was brutal, he's right to be brutal - that was shocking.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 23, 2021, 4:38pm; Reply: 34

I agree we are rubbish, but he should have been able to instil some sense of urgency, at the very least.

Agree was expecting some very dour 0-0 and 1-0 wins but very disappointed that we continue to leak goals and there is little to no improvement in our attacking play. Said last week we desperately need a new midfield and we might have found one of these but need two more. Note Bennett now done his hamstring, Morais has also got a twinge and these type of injuries seem to be a regular event this season, so is this down to our training facilities or training regime ?

Fear the worst and to cap it all Lincoln now take the lead to make a bad day even worse. Oldham score a third, Morecombe winning again and we flounder.....
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 23, 2021, 4:39pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Hanson, Habergham, the centre backs and Matete are possibly up to the task - the rest can go. Hendrie and Hewitt have really disappointed since Hurst came.

He was brutal, he's right to be brutal - that was shocking.

Habergham was utterly shite today with and without the ball, Hendrie was his usual steady self.

Agree about Hewitt who is one of the worst central midfielders to ever turn out for us.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, January 23, 2021, 4:41pm; Reply: 36
So he's already gone nuclear, questioning the players' desire to be professional footballers after this season.  Very worrying tbh, it's a desperate last-ditch attempt to scare players into battle, the kind of intervention you can only try once or you'll lose them for good.  

I can't see it working either as most of them are totally drained of confidence and looked paralysed and confused.  You can see it when they freeze as the ball comes to them, terrified of their first touch, distrusting their teammates to follow their ideas.  It's all symptomatic of poor messaging and a lack of leadership.  

It's not completely over though.  Southend's form has dried up and Stevenage have difficult fixtures approaching, bar us.  But all signs point to us tail-spinning into provisional relegation unless NL issues reprieve us.
Posted by: livvo, January 23, 2021, 4:41pm; Reply: 37
I think P H answered that question.  You can't make somebody want to do something[ quote=3362]

I agree we are rubbish, but he should have been able to instil some sense of urgency, at the very least.[/quote]

Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 23, 2021, 4:45pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from psgmariner
Hurst signed 4 of the 11 players who started today. We have somehow regressed under him and despite him claiming to have watched us for weeks he hasn’t addressed our two big problems (goalkeeper and striker). No free pass from me.

This for me.

I doubt he has considered the keeper position. But anyone up front would be better
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from psgmariner

Wow!!

You’ve clearly been spoilt under Holloway then ?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 23, 2021, 5:10pm; Reply: 40
Think he was a bit miffed if you ask me...try being in my size 8s!..p!ssed off doesn't start to describe how I feel, I really hope he gets this shower in tomorrow and hands them an envelope with their contracts cancelled for gross misconduct...I've got more passion in my left big toe and that's got a fungal infection!...this lot have to go, my god our conference squads blew this lot out the water!...thank you Fenty you tight tw@t, it's your fault, you just couldn't let it go last year when you had the chance, if you had we'd not be in this situation I'm sure. Twice on your watch we're potentially going to lose our league status, twice!....not once, twice!...please just give Stockwood, Petit and Shutes the keys and go....
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 23, 2021, 5:14pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Humbercod

I’m not a Hurst fan but the answer is yes. You cannot make silk purses from sows ears. The truth of it is that they had better players who more were up for it than us.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 23, 2021, 5:19pm; Reply: 42
Again not a Hurst fan but he has gone up in my eyes with that  interview, think he was as diplomatic as he could be these days. I wouldn’t say he can have a free pass for this season but must only take part off the blame.
Posted by: Humbercod, January 23, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 43

I’m not a Hurst fan but the answer is yes. You cannot make silk purses from sows ears. The truth of it is that they had better players who more were up for it than us.

I’m not sure about better players when we beat them only last month, when they had pretty much the same team. It says more about our manager it has to be said.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 23, 2021, 5:25pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Habergham was utterly shite today with and without the ball, Hendrie was his usual steady self.

Agree about Hewitt who is one of the worst central midfielders to ever turn out for us.

I thought Hendrie was garbage and run ragged by their winger Green. I am usually a fan but thought he was 3/10 today
I am with you in Hewitt though we were 1 down before I realised he was playing
utm
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2021, 5:27pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Think he was a bit miffed if you ask me...try being in my size 8s!..p!ssed off doesn't start to describe how I feel, I really hope he gets this shower in tomorrow and hands them an envelope with their contracts cancelled for gross misconduct...I've got more passion in my left big toe and that's got a fungal infection!...this lot have to go, my god our conference squads blew this lot out the water!...thank you Fenty you tight tw@t, it's your fault, you just couldn't let it go last year when you had the chance, if you had we'd not be in this situation I'm sure. Twice on your watch we're potentially going to lose our league status, twice!....not once, twice!...please just give Stockwood, Petit and Shutes the keys and go....

Technically three times with the points deduction saving us. Then there was the Jolley season escape.

Grim reading for his tenure for sure.

Best run club around.
Posted by: DB, January 23, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Humbercod

I’m not sure about better players when we beat them only last month, when they had pretty much the same team. It says more about our manager it has to be said.

Olloway spit his dummy out and walk away. He didn't care about us, he saw the huge mistake he made. Also you have the Fenty/May situation which meant he wasn't going to invest. Hursty summed it up, it's a mess and it is . You have to realise that the admin is just as bad

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/

According this official site he can still choose Ohman ?????????

If the admin management don't know he's left what hope has Hursty. Hurst was left with the dregs and our only hope is the National league may be null and void.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, January 23, 2021, 5:36pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Humbercod

The problem is, for the players the derby means nothing to them. It's just another day at work where they do as much as they think they can get away with and no more.

I'm not a big fan of Clifton but had he been available, he would have run through a brick wall but none of the others have any affinity with the club.

Hurst could have picked 11 off The Fishy and although we may have lost by double figures, the work rate and passion would have been greater.
Posted by: immariner, January 23, 2021, 5:38pm; Reply: 48
Starting the passengers that are Hewitt (when CM), Preston and Green was wrong for me, not that there are a plethora of viable alternatives. I missed where Bennett was but I really hope Morais is back for Tuesday and Scannell is fit to start. One of Jackson or Gibson has to start next game. Neither have been great this season but at least they have some energy about them.
Posted by: DB, January 23, 2021, 5:56pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from ivanosandwich

The problem is, for the players the derby means nothing to them. It's just another day at work where they do as much as they think they can get away with and no more.

I'm not a big fan of Clifton but had he been available, he would have run through a brick wall but none of the others have any affinity with the club.

Hurst could have picked 11 off The Fishy and although we may have lost by double figures, the work rate and passion would have been greater.

Except they didn't do any work!
Posted by: forza ivano, January 23, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 50
so who do we think he was referring to?

Hendrie and Harbergam had bad games, but hendrie has done enough to be exempt from criticism, as has Max Wright..
He's already excepted (is that a word?) the 2 debutantes, so that leaves 6. Hanson and Pollock looked like they were battling. Mckeown , Preston, Green, Hewitt are the others.
of the subs Williams (and this applies to Bennet when he's in the team) was threatening but he's not up for the fight. Jackson didn't look good enough; Spokes was better and i don't think he's a shirker. I would include Rose in the criticism - he needs to show more, although he was better than usual. Scannell looked like a poor imitation of Morais.

so in conclusion we could do with replacements for Preston, green, Hewitt, possibly Rose & McKeown plus a goalscorer.
not much needed then!

ps a real indictment of our standards , when he pointed out that our outstanding player was a 19 year old fringe player at bloody Fleetwood

pps Barrow have only lost 1 in their last 5 .....
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2021, 6:13pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from forza ivano
so who do we think he was referring to?

Hendrie and Harbergam had bad games, but hendrie has done enough to be exempt from criticism, as has Max Wright..
He's already excepted (is that a word?) the 2 debutantes, so that leaves 6. Hanson and Pollock looked like they were battling. Mckeown , Preston, Green, Hewitt are the others.
of the subs Williams (and this applies to Bennet when he's in the team) was threatening but he's not up for the fight. Jackson didn't look good enough; Spokes was better and i don't think he's a shirker. I would include Rose in the criticism - he needs to show more, although he was better than usual. Scannell looked like a poor imitation of Morais.

so in conclusion we could do with replacements for Preston, green, Hewitt, possibly Rose & McKeown plus a goalscorer.
not much needed then!

ps a real indictment of our standards , when he pointed out that our outstanding player was a 19 year old fringe player at bloody Fleetwood

pps Barrow have only lost 1 in their last 5 .....

Hendrie has been pretty poor all season, Wright excluded but only because he’s coming back from injury.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 23, 2021, 6:25pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Humbercod

Thing is, for most of the players we have, they probably never knew where Scunthorpe was until they travelled there today.  I can't see that many of them thought of it as a local derby, what they should have been thinking of was to play their hearts out for the club, so that they won't be one of those players kicked out in the near future.

Posted by: DB, January 23, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 53
Hursty also said that some in the dressing room either didn't or could care about the current situation, even though those players were responsible for the current situation.

If that's the case pay them off and get people in who do/will care. I rather see players with passion and commitment lose then wage takers.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 54
Think it was telling that he mentioned Loft and his grafting, which was a clear dig at Green, who is only playing because he's the only striker with any experience other than Hanson. Don't think he's too impressed with Jackson or Gibson, who were alluded to in his pre match as being given contracts beyond their worth.

Loft is another player who turned us down and was typical that he scored against us after being largely ineffective for most of the season.

Will be surprised if Green starts on Tuesday or ever again if we can get someone else in.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 23, 2021, 6:33pm; Reply: 55
Think Hurst stated the problem during the interview, he said that after the game at BP their manager Cox, stated that we were more up for it, so I would presume he had them well wound up for today, whereas Hurst intimated we lacked application. So basically the difference between 2 poor teams is who wants it more,  and that is how our season will be decided, we dont have the ability but do we have the right attitude.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 23, 2021, 6:37pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from 123614

Quoted Text
Thing is, for most of the players we have, they probably never knew where Scunthorpe was until they travelled there today
.  I can't see that many of them thought of it as a local derby, what they should have been thinking of was to play their hearts out for the club, so that they won't be one of those players kicked out in the near future.

Think that's inaccurate....I would think half of them drive past the Scunny turn offs on their way to work.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 23, 2021, 6:41pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Hagrid

From me he does. The players are an embarrassment

He said he had watched some games so it disappoints me to think he has only just come to that conclusion.

He surely must have known this squad of players are probably the worst in Town's history, frig me this shower of excrement are much worse than what Neil Woods had to work with.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 23, 2021, 6:41pm; Reply: 58
We all know one player doesn't make a successful team but with Green it's clearly not working. Is there no one in the reserves than can actually make a difference ? Play someone up front out of the reserves to prove a point  a few days left in the transfer window  more urgency surely to find a striker
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 23, 2021, 6:47pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from DB

Scunthorpe have been donkeys all season so far, their manager has been under pressure from fans but he managed to whip his lot to urine all over us
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2021, 6:48pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from arryarryarry

He said he had watched some games so it disappoints me to think he has only just come to that conclusion.

He surely must have known this squad of players are probably the worst in Town's history, frig me this shower of excrement are much worse than what Neil Woods had to work with.

Doesn't matter how many times he watched us does it? He knows as well as we do how bad we are, but without some more recruitments, it's difficult to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with the players he has at his disposal.I

Posted by: Yoda, January 23, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 61
i know we need players but you can motivate and make us hard to beat hurst has done neither.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 23, 2021, 7:05pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Yoda
i know we need players but you can motivate and make us hard to beat hurst has done neither.

He’s not flipping Jesus. This lot needs putting down. They’re flipping abysmal.
Posted by: DB, January 23, 2021, 7:09pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from arryarryarry

Scunthorpe have been donkeys all season so far, their manager has been under pressure from fans but he managed to whip his lot to urine all over us

I agree but one donkey team turned up  and the other couldn't be bothered to get out of the stable.
Posted by: Ruston AT, January 23, 2021, 7:10pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from ginnywings
Think it was telling that he mentioned Loft and his grafting, which was a clear dig at Green, who is only playing because he's the only striker with any experience other than Hanson. Don't think he's too impressed with Jackson or Gibson, who were alluded to in his pre match as being given contracts beyond their worth.

Loft is another player who turned us down and was typical that he scored against us after being largely ineffective for most of the season.

Will be surprised if Green starts on Tuesday or ever again if we can get someone else in.

Of course Green will start we have nothing else!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 23, 2021, 7:13pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from ginnywings

Doesn't matter how many times he watched us does it? He knows as well as we do how bad we are, but without some more recruitments, it's difficult to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with the players he has at his disposal.I

Think the question is Ginny, given that he has watched us prior to taking over, why on earth would you select Green, why sign Habergham if that means Preston has to play to cover him & why have we not got more competitive in matches?

I think a number of us thought that within the squad there was enough decent players to put together, with Hurst’s organisational ability, a half reasonable side capable of scraping together a few wins. That may still come but with each game that passes the chances of survival seem that bit further away.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 23, 2021, 7:16pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Yoda

You can only motivate those who are looking for motivation. You can only bring out potential in those that have it.  A totally lost cause is exactly that !!
Some folk need a hug, some a kick up the @rse. But some are beyond redemption. It’s a manager’s job to sort out which is which. But if you inherit a bunch of losers your hands are tied.
Posted by: Croxton, January 23, 2021, 7:24pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from ginnywings

I think the only silk purses are attached to Green and Hanson's boot bags. The weight of their wages has skewed managers' selections and tactics for far too long. Whether the Board have constantly pressed the point with Managers that they should extract more value from this pair or what, but the indulgences have to stop. It was bad enough that Ben felt he had to pick Green but for Hurst to follow suit begs the question, has he watched many games, at least on video?
To start both of them today was never going to work. They never have worked as a partnership. Green ball watches and fails to anticipate flicks or passes. He is slow to get back onside and gives away fouls. Yet he starts the second half!

Hanson should have been on the bench and , just like the Port Vale game, we should have gone for pace at least. I can only think that we have been turned down by several forwards. Still think that Jackson is worth a start.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2021, 7:36pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Croxton

I think the only silk purses are attached to Green and Hanson's boot bags. The weight of their wages has skewed managers' selections and tactics for far too long. Whether the Board have constantly pressed the point with Managers that they should extract more value from this pair or what, but the indulgences have to stop. It was bad enough that Ben felt he had to pick Green but for Hurst to follow suit begs the question, has he watched many games, at least on video?
To start both of them today was never going to work. They never have worked as a partnership. Green ball watches and fails to anticipate flicks or passes. He is slow to get back onside and gives away fouls. Yet he starts the second half!

Hanson should have been on the bench and , just like the Port Vale game, we should have gone for pace at least. I can only think that we have been turned down by several forwards. Still think that Jackson is worth a start.

You honestly think Jackson is a better bet than Hanson? If so, we are well and truly fooked. As for Green, he has been playing simply because he has been the only fit, experienced striker we have.

Jackson and Gibson are nowhere near the required standard and I'm far from sure they ever will be. Until and unless we bring in a new striker or two, we are stuck with what we have, which ain't much.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 23, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 69
Seen enough from Jackson in his 2 sub apperances in the last 2 weeks to know he will not be good enough
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 23, 2021, 7:46pm; Reply: 70
Gibson was alright when he came on for the second half against Cambridge wasn't he?

He tried hard, which is a start.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 23, 2021, 7:52pm; Reply: 71
Gibson was alright when he came on for the second half against Cambridge wasn't he?

he's generally put a shift in when he's played, yet he doesn't even get a chance off the bench. Hurst obviously doesn't fancy him
Posted by: Croxton, January 23, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from ginnywings

You honestly think Jackson is a better bet than Hanson? If so, we are well and truly fooked. As for Green, he has been playing simply because he has been the only fit, experienced striker we have.

Jackson and Gibson are nowhere near the required standard and I'm far from sure they ever will be. Until and unless we bring in a new striker or two, we are stuck with what we have, which ain't much.

No, but preferable to Green. A fit Hanson would have won more battles today and been more mobile. Just think this was still too early for a start and that Gibson, for all his limitations, would have added more energy. Did you notice that Hanson avoided jumping for some headers? Perhaps nervous of injuring the calf again.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2021, 7:56pm; Reply: 73
He tried hard. Could be said of many a player who has passed through our club over the years. The list is endless. He somehow got a 3 year deal. :-/
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2021, 7:57pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Croxton

No, but preferable to Green. A fit Hanson would have won more battles today and been more mobile. Just think this was still too early for a start and that Gibson, for all his limitations, would have added more energy. Did you notice that Hanson avoided jumping for some headers? Perhaps nervous of injuring the calf again.

I’d like to see Gibson start with Hanson TBH.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2021, 7:59pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’d like to see Gibson start with Hanson TBH.

Think he will on Tuesday. Don't think PH was impressed with Green's effort today.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2021, 8:03pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from ginnywings

Think he will on Tuesday. Don't think PH was impressed with Green's effort today.

There was a point in the 2nd half today where we managed to get a decent ball in from the right and Hanson fluffed the shot. I’m convinced this is because Green over ran his run and came back out blocking Hanson’s view of the ball.

Posted by: DB, January 23, 2021, 8:05pm; Reply: 77

But most of them did. I said to someone first half ollies team 2nd half Hursts team. It just went backwards from there, and backwards again.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2021, 8:14pm; Reply: 78
Jackson, Gibson and Green are simply not good enough to play league football. Anyone who thinks they are has been lured into non league Fentyism.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Jackson, Gibson and Green are simply not good enough to play league football. Anyone who thinks they are has been lured into non league Fentyism.

Add Spokes and Williams to that list.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 23, 2021, 8:48pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Add Spokes and Williams to that list.

Actually Spokes offers something, thought he did okay today, give him a few games he'll come good, Williams however I expected more of, couple of decent dribbles but most at the end of them..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2021, 8:55pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Actually Spokes offers something, thought he did okay today, give him a few games he'll come good, Williams however I expected more of, couple of decent dribbles but most at the end of them..

I haven’t seen that in Spokes but like you say he needs a few games on the bang.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 23, 2021, 8:58pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I haven’t seen that in Spokes but like you say he needs a few games on the bang.

I especially watched him today, he's good with the ball, holds it well but he needs to learn to come for the ball, a couple of passes he waited for the ball to come to him and we know in leagues football you don't get that time, he's a player I think will improve dramatically under Hurst and Doig to be honest..
Posted by: GY1, January 23, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 83
I think Hurst was dealt a bad hand when he came in and I think he is a decent manager, but he knew what he was getting into. Among many other things, a managers job is to find a way motivate people. I don't think quality players are lining up to come here, so he has to rely on what he's got. If individuals haven't got the skills needed, all that can be done in the short term is to get them playing as a team, wanting to play, working for each other with a great team spirit to make up for what's lacking in individual skills. That can go along way.

Hurst didn't help matters when upon arrival, he stated that the team weren't good enough and he would have to bring in 7/8 new players! Whilst that may have been his honest assessment, he didn't have to make it public, unless he thought that would motivate his players? With new signings proving difficult to bring in, I hope he can find some way of motivating the players that we have. UTMM!! ::)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from GY1
I think Hurst was dealt a bad hand when he came in and I think he is a decent manager, but he knew what he was getting into. Among many other things, a managers job is to find a way motivate people. I don't think quality players are lining up to come here, so he has to rely on what he's got. If individuals haven't got the skills needed, all that can be done in the short term is to get them playing as a team, wanting to play, working for each other with a great team spirit to make up for what's lacking in individual skills. That can go along way.

Hurst didn't help matters when upon arrival, he stated that the team weren't good enough and he would have to bring in 7/8 new players! Whilst that may have been his honest assessment, he didn't have to make it public, unless he thought that would motivate his players? With new signings proving difficult to bring in, I hope he can find some way of motivating the players that we have. UTMM!! ::)

I suspect he’s got a free pass to next season together with a hefty bonus to keep us up. There’s no other explanation as to why he would take the job. Clearly, according to Swann’s interview the other evening, he was still on the Scunny payroll till he moved to us.
Posted by: Poojah, January 23, 2021, 9:49pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from aldi_01

He’s not flipping Jesus. This lot needs putting down. They’re flipping abysmal.

Oh, they’re going down alright, don’t you worry about that.
Posted by: toontown, January 23, 2021, 10:41pm; Reply: 86
For those saying green  won't start again well Hurst had the chance to take him off at half time after seeing the performance we all watched, and chose to send him out for the second half.

I can't explain it either but looks like Hurst feels green is the least worst option of green Gibson Jackson.

Personally I'd give either of the others a chance (and I am by no means saying I think either of the others are league 2 standard).

I would actually rather play Hanson on his own and 5 in midfield.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 23, 2021, 11:17pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from GY1

There has been no upturn at all has there - even in such a basic thing as motivation or even effort. Fell away badly at Vale, today of course, never got going in any of the other games either. I think we have scored 1 consolation goal, haven't we?

You normally get some response from players when a new manager comes in, but it is as flat as a pancake.

Despite our perilous position it looked like a good opportunity for Hurst to make a quick impression by playing a standard system, settled team and make us much harder to break down and beat.

No wonder he was an angry man today, if what he normally does at clubs has fallen on deaf ears what does he do?

I still cannot get my head around why the players are SO bad. There is nothing there - even the experienced players look like they have never played the game before.

Posted by: HarrogateMariner, January 23, 2021, 11:20pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from GY1
I

This is spot on for me the mistake Hurst made from the start. Almost from the first minute he made it very clear he thought the players were not good enough. Now he may well be right, but with morale already low and many players out of contract end of the season  they probably instantly thought I am finished here. He should of sent out a message of the slate is clean for everyone,  prove to me you are good enough not only for this season but to be part of my plans next year. Imagine being told now in your job that in 4 months time you will be out of work. Your not going to be as motivated are you? I don't for one second want him sacked or blame him for this mess, but I think this was a mistake. Like it or not, most players are not playing for him, that was plainly clear today. As a result I don't think he can keep selecting some players who are obviously gone end of season. What that leaves us with I don't know, but we need 11 prepared to fight every second, and apart from Pollock, Wright, Clifton and maybe Hendrie, I don't see any more.
Posted by: Humbercod, January 23, 2021, 11:54pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from GY1

Absolutely! the majority on here we’re  so sure Hurst was going to be the returning messiah they would rather give him a free pass then admit (if we get relegated) they were wrong. This was pretty much the same Scunny team we beat a month ago, yet today we got totally outplayed without barely mustering a shot on target.
I really hope he can turn this around and keep us up (the minimum job requirements) but ultimately if we do get relegated the buck stops with him.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 24, 2021, 7:51am; Reply: 90
Hurst has every right to be angry at the players and the mess he’s got to clean up, however it’s his job now and we need results.

We were shite under Holloway and we’re even worse under Hurst. I’m not suggesting that’s his fault, but we’ve scored one goal since he arrived. It’s Hursts choice to start Matt Green every game (and inexplicably keep him on the pitch for longer than most) and his choice to start the utterly useless Hewitt in midfield.

Some players are obviously not warming to Hurst and they can go, they’re not welcome here. However Hurst now needs to replace them and sharp, he’s got a week to make the signings to effectively secure the future of the club.
Posted by: Davec, January 24, 2021, 8:15am; Reply: 91
I don't think there was anything wrong in saying from the start that players aren't good enough as that alone should motivate the players in trying to prove him wrong.

Also he was right yesterday that some players will get a rude awakening when no club wants them, they are all probably thinking they are gaurenteed a club when they leave is but I think some of them may struggle to find a decent offer.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 24, 2021, 8:44am; Reply: 92
Well the harsh reality is that no NLN or S team will be looking to sign anyone for a while so I hope they’ve got alternative careers lined up .
Posted by: aldi_01, January 24, 2021, 8:51am; Reply: 93
May be the fact some of the players realise that there’s likely to be little after GTFC is impacting on performance? Some will panic and disappear in to themselves and not perform, others will take the bull by the horns.

Some won’t warm to Hurst and that’s their choice but I’m not even sure some of them are being professional about it and getting on with the job.

Sadly, for hurst, unlike his last spell where we could sack off the likes of Thomas and Neilson for excrement attitude Becauee we had a team spirit, a style and players to slip in it didn’t matter. We don’t. This is the worst squad I’ve ever seen.

People can moan about the likes of Green plying every week or for too long but in truth there’s little option else. The others haven’t been good enough or done enough and you’d argue probably aren’t in training either.

A scunny supporting mate who was always a fan of Hurst said he thought yesterday’s interview was bob on and without saying they’re lazy and excrement, did actually have some honesty about it.

Perhaps the reasons we haven’t moved forward yet is players are still used to the old regime, still think they’ll play a game and sit out two like under IH or May be they’re still waiting for their go at around the board...

Either way, Hurst has a mammoth task and it’s becoming more and more clear just how much of a mess the club is in from top to bottom...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 24, 2021, 9:15am; Reply: 94
Quoted from GY1

Hurst saying that ye squad isn't good enough is no different to a Manager saying he wants additions in a transfer window it's just a bit more honest and I think we'll all take that. He did say in the same interview I think that players would be given a chance and some have and to a man failed to take it.

I think the fact that there is no response just underlines that lack of leaders in the squad. I can't see anyone on the playing staff setting a standard for the rest of the squad to aspire to in terms of professionalism, work rate, positivity and just plain determination. We have to accept that these lads maybe playing the game full time and getting paid for it but many of them are far from "professional" footballers.    
Posted by: Hagrid, January 24, 2021, 9:27am; Reply: 95
I’d prefer him being honest. This squad isnt good enough and most of those players are an absolute disgrace. And if we were in the ground they’d be getting told it in no uncertain terms. They have no pride in anything they do and id bin the whole lot if we could.

Ive said already i’d give hurst a free pass because he’s been dealt an impossible hand. He’s not a miracle worker. How can he turn Green Jackson Gibson into L2 strikers when they arent. How can he make weak twits like Williams want to get stuck in, he cant. Theres a reason he’s gone from 7 welsh caps to L2 relegation certainties. Rose Clifton Hewitt. Not good enough. The list goes on. This is the worst team i’ve seen, on an appaling BP pitch and an embarrassment of a training ground.

Buck stops with 3. Holloway- who was in big Tesco here yesterday, the nerve of the illegitimate- Puppet Day, and John Fenty
Posted by: moosey_club, January 24, 2021, 9:39am; Reply: 96
Hurst has been in the building just a few weeks and yesterdays performance will have made his mind up I think.

If you look/ listen to us on here or speaking to your mates....we cant agree on who should be playing after half of the season .....we can probably agree on a couple who shouldn't be but I think it just goes to show what an absolute shower of a squad Runaway , Day & Fenty assembled.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 24, 2021, 9:40am; Reply: 97
Quoted from Hagrid
I’d prefer him being honest. This squad isnt good enough and most of those players are an absolute disgrace. And if we were in the ground they’d be getting told it in no uncertain terms. They have no pride in anything they do and id bin the whole lot if we could.

Ive said already i’d give hurst a free pass because he’s been dealt an impossible hand. He’s not a miracle worker. How can he turn Green Jackson Gibson into L2 strikers when they arent. How can he make weak twits like Williams want to get stuck in, he cant. Theres a reason he’s gone from 7 welsh caps to L2 relegation certainties. Rose Clifton Hewitt. Not good enough. The list goes on. This is the worst team i’ve seen, on an appaling BP pitch and an embarrassment of a training ground.

Buck stops with 3. Holloway- who was in big Tesco here yesterday, the nerve of the illegitimate- Puppet Day, and John Fenty

Agree with all of that, the Holloway in Tesco thing is interesting as it was the start of last week, then mid week then yesterday....... Then again he hasn't got much else to do as he?
Posted by: Humbercod, January 24, 2021, 9:50am; Reply: 98
Hurst knew exactly what he was taking on and he even had the luxury of having seen the ‘cards he was about to be dealt’  before he signed up. He obviously felt he could sort them out ,well it’s not looking to good at the minute as the team is getting increasingly shittier!
If we get relegated it’s not all on Hurst I agree, but he will have to take some blame put his hands up and say he’s failed. (which I’m sure he would to be fair to him).
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 24, 2021, 9:56am; Reply: 99
Quoted from moosey_club
Hurst has been in the building just a few weeks and yesterdays performance will have made his mind up I think.

If you look/ listen to us on here or speaking to your mates....we cant agree on who should be playing after half of the season .....we can probably agree on a couple who shouldn't be but I think it just goes to show what an absolute shower of a squad Runaway , Day & Fenty assembled.

I think the fact Hurst who when he was here before generally defended the players when things where not going well has come out and named it publicly just underlines that he's not prepared to gloss over what is such a poor squad in terms of quality and application.

I know he'll bring in additions in the next week whether they are the ones he wants or not remains to be seen as it's evident that players don't want to come, I'd suspect not so much due to location but due to the fact we're pathetic and on the face of it certs to go down.

I expect us to get relegated and then have a difficult season or two whilst we change the squad and the culture of apathy that has existed for a number of years..    

Posted by: realist, January 24, 2021, 10:12am; Reply: 100
Hurst watched us play before he begged for the job so was fully aware of what he was walking into so must take some responsibility for our current form.
Even a shower of excrement with coaching can be become a more effective unit but we have got worse. His team selection and substations are bewildering. Why was he out of work for so long.? He should not be our manager.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 24, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 101
Quoted from realist
Hurst watched us play before he begged for the job so was fully aware of what he was walking into so must take some responsibility for our current form.
Even a shower of excrement with coaching can be become a more effective unit but we have got worse. His team selection and substations are bewildering. Why was he out of work for so long.? He should not be our manager.

You are pathetic!

Posted by: Fillipe Noche, January 24, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 102
Quoted from realist

Oh my word are you for real.
Posted by: cannylad68, January 24, 2021, 11:01am; Reply: 103
My biggest worry is that if we get relegated, will we ever get back into the Football League.
Posted by: Hurstomariner, January 24, 2021, 11:06am; Reply: 104
Quoted from cannylad68
My biggest worry is that if we get relegated, will we ever get back into the Football League.

I totally agree with you ! It’s a very hard league to get out of .
Posted by: RonMariner, January 24, 2021, 11:26am; Reply: 105
I was quite encouraged by Hanson's interview on RH. he seems well up for the fight. He recalled one season  when Wimbledon were sitting with only 10 points going into Christmas and everyone had written them off. But they turned it round and stayed up. He thinks we can do likewise.

With him, the two new lads, Wright and Pollock seeming well up for it, all is not entirely lost. But we do need a few more players with their mind set, and of course better quality than we have on show right now.

I would be surprised if we managed to get more bodies in before Tuesday, so once again we have to hope that Hurst can shame some of the shirkers into putting in a shift. As he pointed out, if they fail here no one is going to 'come knocking' for them. Certainly not from the EFL.

These players are playing for their careers.
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 11:27am; Reply: 106
At the end of the day Holloway WALKED. He brought in most of the squad which the new manager had to inherit. Probably Fenty's delay in shall I sell or not meant that Hurst did not come before the new year.

If it wasn't Hursty as manager, a new man would still have similar problems. If the chickens don't want to lay eggs then you can't make them.
Posted by: Davec, January 24, 2021, 11:54am; Reply: 107
Where can I find this Hanson interview please.
Posted by: smokey111, January 24, 2021, 11:56am; Reply: 108
Quoted from RonMariner
I was quite encouraged by Hanson's interview on RH. he seems well up for the fight. He recalled one season  when Wimbledon were sitting with only 10 points going into Christmas and everyone had written them off. But they turned it round and stayed up. He thinks we can do likewise.

With him, the two new lads, Wright and Pollock seeming well up for it, all is not entirely lost. But we do need a few more players with their mind set, and of course better quality than we have on show right now.

I would be surprised if we managed to get more bodies in before Tuesday, so once again we have to hope that Hurst can shame some of the shirkers into putting in a shift. As he pointed out, if they fail here no one is going to 'come knocking' for them. Certainly not from the EFL.

These players are playing for their careers.

Well said. A point made by Hurst. In the present climate, I wouldn't want to be an out of work lower league footballer. I think Hurst has put all his cards on the table and called the players out. An early gamble. There has to be a reaction on Tuesday. My genuine fear is that such a reaction might be a reckless early tackle to show 'I am up for it'.

Need passion but discipline on Tuesday. UTFM
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 24, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 109
Hurst  has a tough job a no brainer he can't wrap these players up in cotton wool The writing is on the wall we are going down.We are gutted and angry with this, there is a slim chance Hurst can turn it around But are the players up for it ?. The club has been so badly run attracting good players is difficult so I have to say it looks bleak. We know Hurst we know what he is capable of to come back to us like this I think we need to admire him for that.

Hopefully with Fenty gone we can rebuild

One thing for sure if we go down I Will still be going through thick and thin  UTM
Posted by: RonMariner, January 24, 2021, 12:05pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Davec
Where can I find this Hanson interview please.

It was on RH about 15 minutes after Hurst's interview. I don't know if it is still available.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), January 24, 2021, 12:19pm; Reply: 111
I would like to see PH implement  Alan Buckleys philosophy  If the team plays below his expectations  , they come in Sunday  for extra training.  Play well you get the day off.  
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 12:22pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from 4055
I would like to see PH implement  Alan Buckleys philosophy  If the team plays below his expectations  , they come in Sunday  for extra training.  Play well you get the day off.  

Not sure if it was George Kerr, but one manager had them running up and down the beach.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 24, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from DB

Not sure if it was George Kerr, but one manager had them running up and down the beach.

Laurie Mc had them up and down a dirty great hill.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 24, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

Oh my word are you for real.

Are you?
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 24, 2021, 1:31pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from smokey111

Well said. A point made by Hurst. In the present climate, I wouldn't want to be an out of work lower league footballer. I think Hurst has put all his cards on the table and called the players out. An early gamble. There has to be a reaction on Tuesday. My genuine fear is that such a reaction might be a reckless early tackle to show 'I am up for it'.

Need passion but discipline on Tuesday. UTFM

Spot on IMHO. We seem to be generally lacking in any game sense in managing the refs - we show the wrong kind of aggression, we are not alert and getting stuck in to win second ball, yet we are leaving the foot in and barging in a pointless way. It's stuff that you'd get away with years ago, but we know refs blow for almost any contact now so why do we continue doing it? We get the wrong side of the ref, and that means 50:50 decisions go against us - it cost us two goals yesterday from the free kicks. The third goal was probably offside as well. I'm not whingeing about decisions here, we deserved nothing, we are lacking intelligence in our play and getting out thought as well as out fought.

Posted by: mariner91, January 24, 2021, 1:37pm; Reply: 116
Whilst I would agree that some of Hurst's subs were questionable yesterday he really cannot be blamed for the situation given the mess he's inherited. How many of these players would he actually want given the choice? My bet is out of the entire squad he'd keep maybe four or five if finances and time weren't against him. They really are the most pathetic squad we've ever had. Physically, technically and mentally we are poor throughout the squad.

I agree with someone else who said it was a gamble by Hurst to get a reaction from the players. They need to stand up and be counted. I can put up with a player being a bit naff but the lack of desire yesterday in a local derby in very important circumstances was disgraceful. If you can't be arsed to fight your way out of the situation the club is in right now then you will not have a career in professional football. The only way from here if your heart isn't in it, is down. And that soon leads to part-time football at the likes of Alfreton. Let's hope to see a reaction on Tuesday but most of our players have less spine than a jellyfish.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 24, 2021, 2:10pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from DB
At the end of the day Holloway WALKED. He brought in most of the squad which the new manager had to inherit. Probably Fenty's delay in shall I sell or not meant that Hurst did not come before the new year.

If it wasn't Hursty as manager, a new man would still have similar problems. If the chickens don't want to lay eggs then you can't make them.

Whilst I agree that Holloway has signed some really crap players, the starting line up yesterday only included one Holloway player, Preston, which sadly means we nearly need an entirely new squad.
Posted by: Croxton, January 24, 2021, 2:14pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Spot on IMHO. We seem to be generally lacking in any game sense in managing the refs - we show the wrong kind of aggression, we are not alert and getting stuck in to win second ball, yet we are leaving the foot in and barging in a pointless way. It's stuff that you'd get away with years ago, but we know refs blow for almost any contact now so why do we continue doing it? We get the wrong side of the ref, and that means 50:50 decisions go against us - it cost us two goals yesterday from the free kicks. The third goal was probably offside as well. I'm not whingeing about decisions here, we deserved nothing, we are lacking intelligence in our play and getting out thought as well as out fought.

Bang on. Our stats on petty and clumsy fouls are terrible. Proper leaders on the pitch would stamp it out. Too many introverts this season like Hendrie, Hewitt, Preston, Williams, Taylor and Morton. Not enough talkers like Hessenthaler or Morais keeping others on their toes. Habergham looks another quiet one. Some saying that the skipper's role is only for the toss up is a moot point. As one of our pro women's pundits said this week,  'you need leaders all over the pitch'.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 24, 2021, 2:19pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think the fact Hurst who when he was here before generally defended the players when things where not going well has come out and named it publicly just underlines that he's not prepared to gloss over what is such a poor squad in terms of quality and application.

I know he'll bring in additions in the next week whether they are the ones he wants or not remains to be seen as it's evident that players don't want to come, I'd suspect not so much due to location but due to the fact we're pathetic and on the face of it certs to go down.

I expect us to get relegated and then have a difficult season or two whilst we change the squad and the culture of apathy that has existed for a number of years..    

Yeah , he was probably aware of the pelters that Runaway got after he tried defending some of the previous performances we have seen , just thought , fck it , i will just say what i see as i am sure everyone else can see the same.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 24, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 120
It may be an unpopular opinion, but I thought Williams looked like he was up for the fight second half yesterday. Worked hard chasing the ball down, when he beat one or two on several occasions, no options, the movement around him was appalling..
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 3:00pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from Bigdog
It may be an unpopular opinion, but I thought Williams looked like he was up for the fight second half yesterday. Worked hard chasing the ball down, when he beat one or two on several occasions, no options, the movement around him was appalling..

P45 for me all season long
Posted by: smokey111, January 24, 2021, 3:01pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Not getting into a love in, but I agree with all of this Limerick. Horrible phrase, but I think it is game management. For me it is getting in the ear of the ref, fourth official and linos. Tactical fouls, niggly tackles etc. All the things that we hate other sides doing to us.
Posted by: davmariner, January 24, 2021, 3:25pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from arryarryarry

Whilst I agree that Holloway has signed some really crap players, the starting line up yesterday only included one Holloway player, Preston, which sadly means we nearly need an entirely new squad.

That’s because Hurst has managed to ship a fair few of the loanees out. It’s also not just about who Holloway has signed, it’s what he’s left us with. A squad low on ability, low on confidence, low on fitness, low on desire and heading for non league.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, January 24, 2021, 3:30pm; Reply: 124
I refrained from commenting on Hurst's reaction to yesterday's debacle in order to give myself time to calm down. Having ruminated overnight I would like to make the following points.

Many on here were pleased with Hurst's response and stated that he was furious, showed passion, went nuclear etc etc. Is it just me, but I personally don't think her went far enough. It was the same old  monotone Hurst interview but using words of displeasure. Can you imagine Ferguson, Clough, Laws etc after a performance like that, they would have been apoplectic ! At seven o'clock this morning they would have been running up sand dunes at the Fitties dodging chicken wings FFS !!!!!!!

Hurst would not have taken this job without knowledge of what he was taking on and talk of him being given a "free pass" into next season is ridiculous. He will have had a full transfer window and half a season to avoid another relegation which is more than enough to see some discernible improvement. Even allowing for a lack of skill in most of the players, anything less than 100% commitment every game is unacceptable, and that is the job of the management team. Sadly yesterday's pathetic performance showed no level of desire whatsoever.

I was not happy with Hurst's reappointment but I at least expected his team's to be well drilled and hard to beat and was quite happy to accept a period of 0-0 and 1-0 dour performances. Sadly we are a million miles away from this.

Nearly every team that hire's a new manager experiences a "new manager bounce" and performances improve over what had gone before albeit in the short term, however we seem to have got worse ! Just look at Clough at Mansfield, five wins on the spin. It can be done !

I'm afraid that we are straddled with Hurst now for the foreseeable future given that he had a six year pass the last time he was here !

I will be more than happy to re-evaluate this post when Paul saves us from relegation but I will not be holding my breath. Should he manage it, I will be more than happy to state that I was wrong !

PS, Is Green the new Monkhouse ? Plays every week but nobody other than the manager knows why !
Posted by: davmariner, January 24, 2021, 3:36pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
I refrained from commenting on Hurst's reaction to yesterday's debacle in order to give myself time to calm down. Having ruminated overnight I would like to make the following points.

Many on here were pleased with Hurst's response and stated that he was furious, showed passion, went nuclear etc etc. Is it just me, but I personally don't think her went far enough. It was the same old  monotone Hurst interview but using words of displeasure. Can you imagine Ferguson, Clough, Laws etc after a performance like that, they would have been apoplectic ! At seven o'clock this morning they would have been running up sand dunes at the Fitties dodging chicken wings FFS !!!!!!!

Hurst would not have taken this job without knowledge of what he was taking on and talk of him being given a "free pass" into next season is ridiculous. He will have had a full transfer window and half a season to avoid another relegation which is more than enough to see some discernible improvement. Even allowing for a lack of skill in most of the players, anything less than 100% commitment every game is unacceptable, and that is the job of the management team. Sadly yesterday's pathetic performance showed no level of desire whatsoever.

I was not happy with Hurst's reappointment but I at least expected his team's to be well drilled and hard to beat and was quite happy to accept a period of 0-0 and 1-0 dour performances. Sadly we are a million miles away from this.

Nearly every team that hire's a new manager experiences a "new manager bounce" and performances improve over what had gone before albeit in the short term, however we seem to have got worse ! Just look at Clough at Mansfield, five wins on the spin. It can be done !

I'm afraid that we are straddled with Hurst now for the foreseeable future given that he had a six year pass the last time he was here !

I will be more than happy to re-evaluate this post when Paul saves us from relegation but I will not be holding my breath. Should he manage it, I will be more than happy to state that I was wrong !

PS, Is Green the new Monkhouse ? Plays every week but nobody other than the manager knows why !

That’s because Mansfield have good players but were underperforming. Ours are just excrement.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 24, 2021, 3:37pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from DB

P45 for me all season long

Well.. Williams was one of our better and most dangerous players when we were doing things like winning away games earlier in the season and has hardly had a look in since. The lad's got more talent than many of the players around him. He needs a run of games with a couple of new competent forwards to play with..
Posted by: Bigdog, January 24, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from davmariner

That’s because Hurst has managed to ship a fair few of the loanees out. It’s also not just about who Holloway has signed, it’s what he’s left us with. A squad low on ability, low on confidence, low on fitness, low on desire and heading for non league.

It all comes down to penny pinching Covid panic and a board not putting their hands in their pocket when there's been a downturn. The hypocrites let Hessenthaler, Clarke, Davis and Vernam go. They didn't look after the club's assets right down to the fooking pitch. You think we'd be in the same position if these four were still in the building? Criminal way to run a football club. Shameful and the fans go through the pain yet again. It makes me sick thinking about Day trying to blame the EFL over Vernam. Clueless, arrogant, ignorant idiot..
Posted by: nightrider, January 24, 2021, 4:16pm; Reply: 128
I wish James Hanson would continue to take whatever he was on shortly before he arrived at the club.  And then distribute it to the rest of the team. Seriously.
Another month and they'll be out running every team.
Mind you, he might be back on it now he's back playing

Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 24, 2021, 4:27pm; Reply: 129

The difference with Mansfield Sir Matt is that they were a decent team playing badly as opposed to us who are a very poor team team playing badly which makes Hurst's job far more difficult to Clough's.
Incidentally if your weren't happy with Hurst's appointment realistically who would you have preffered given the situation we were faced with?
Other than that go feed your chickens!!
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from Steve Richards

Could not agree more. We will need to keep virtually all the players we now have and get the most out of them. Reading up about him he was a very promising player with 7 caps for Wales playing a lot of the qualifying games but did his MCL then fought back to get to the Euros. Then last year broke his leg and and again fought back and didn’t give up. I don’t think he has played 2 in a row. Yes he needs to step up and make himself the obvious choice but that’s hard to do unless you get a run of games and someone that believes in you! I hope PH can get best out of him and some of the other players who are not firing on all or in some cases all cylinders. People also need to understand what different players bring to the party. He isn’t a crunching tackler in the centre of midfield but that’s what some people are judging him on. Play to peoples strengths show belief in them that’s the job of a manager and hopefully PH will!

I don't know which match you saw but it was not any of these Scunny, Vale, Southend or Cambridge. The most I saw any of them put any effort in was the second half against Cambridge, and that  was nowhere near good enough. After that any team on Bradley pitches would have given better performances.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, January 24, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 131

The difference with Mansfield Sir Matt is that they were a decent team playing badly as opposed to us who are a very poor team team playing badly which makes Hurst's job far more difficult to Clough's.
Incidentally if your weren't happy with Hurst's appointment realistically who would you have preffered given the situation we were faced with?
Other than that go feed your chickens!!

Dear Chips,

Points raised, 1/ Why were Mansfield a decent team ? Their league position prior to the arrival of Clough would not suggest so !
                       2/ Anybody but Hurst !
                       3/ You know that the chickens are not my department !

PS, Please tell me that you are not happy with that shower of excrement yesterday, I recall many a time under Hurst's previous tenure that you would quite happily have shot him on the spot ! (Think Chester away) !

Have a lovely evening, Sir Matt  :P

Posted by: arryarryarry, January 24, 2021, 5:50pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from davmariner

Surely the low on confidence and low on desire are now the responsibility of Paul Hurst as well as the fitness and so far I haven't seen any improvement in any of those.
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from arryarryarry

Surely the low on confidence and low on desire are now the responsibility of Paul Hurst as well as the fitness and so far I haven't seen any improvement in any of those.

At the end of the you can't get chickens to lay eggs when you want one, but unlike this crappy squad, you can always eat it! Pay em off
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 24, 2021, 6:06pm; Reply: 134

Dear Chips,

Points raised, 1/ Why were Mansfield a decent team ? Their league position prior to the arrival of Clough would not suggest so !
                       2/ Anybody but Hurst !
                       3/ You know that the chickens are not my department !

PS, Please tell me that you are not happy with that shower of excrement yesterday, I recall many a time under Hurst's previous tenure that you would quite happily have shot him on the spot ! (Think Chester away) !

Have a lovely evening, Sir Matt  :P

1. There current form would suggest they were a decent team just not playing to there potential. Clough has had the right effect. Upshot is they have better players.
2. Cop-out!
Ps. Of course not. There are times when I could have shot all our recent managers but at least I was there at Chester!!!!
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, January 24, 2021, 6:23pm; Reply: 135

1. There current form would suggest they were a decent team just not playing to there potential. Clough has had the right effect. Upshot is they have better players.
2. Cop-out!
Ps. Of course not. There are times when I could have shot all our recent managers but at least I was there at Chester!!!!

More fool you !

Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 24, 2021, 6:37pm; Reply: 136

More fool you !

Always easy from the comfort of your armchair!!
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 6:46pm; Reply: 137
Why is we play a team who have sacked their manager,  up their game.
We Don't
Why is it a team has a 'bounce' for a new manager.
We don't
Why is it when a team goes down to 10 men they gel.
We don't
Why is it teams pull out the stops for a local Derby
We don't ( even turn up)
Posted by: lee65, January 24, 2021, 6:47pm; Reply: 138
At least we scored 2 goals at Chester, and still got one point  ;)
Posted by: MarinerWY, January 24, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 139

Many on here were pleased with Hurst's response and stated that he was furious, showed passion, went nuclear etc etc. Is it just me, but I personally don't think her went far enough. It was the same old  monotone Hurst interview but using words of displeasure.

I don't get this. Hurst has quite a monotone, dour voice. That isnt going to change. It's the content of what he says, and I dont think the fact he didn't stamp his feet and shout a lot means he wasnt necessarily harsh, passionate and blunt.

He directly said that people need to consider their futures in football. He said he was embarrassed and didn't want to be associated with the performance. He said that people had failed the most basic requirement of showing fight, and said he'd have certain Scunny players over them all day long.

So he didn't say it in an animated, charismatic way. That's not his personality. But I'm more interested in substance than cheap charisma: after all, Holloway could talk the talk and say a lot of nothing in a 'characterful way'. So could Bignot, I remember.

Some people just dont like Hurst and anything he does wont be right by them tbh. I thought he spoke much more passionately than he'd allowed himself to in his last tenure here, and I think it was needed.
Posted by: Tommy, January 24, 2021, 7:12pm; Reply: 140
Does Hurst get a free pass this season?

Don't remember Woodsy getting a free pass in 09/10.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 24, 2021, 7:21pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from Tommy
Does Hurst get a free pass this season?

Don't remember Woodsy getting a free pass in 09/10.

He did have rather longer in charge though. But regardless of that, Woods had never managed a club before. (and has never managed another one since.)  It was madness to drop him in at the deep end of a relegation fight. I blame the board for that.

You need experience in these situations. Hurst rescued Shrewsbury from the drop when all looked lost, so I think he could keep us up. But only if he can bring in a few more quality players.  

But with a squad as bad as ours it is more likely than not that we will go down, so staying would be an achievement.  
Posted by: RonMariner, January 24, 2021, 7:30pm; Reply: 142
I think another difference between 2010 and now is that in 2010 most of us simply couldn't believe that we would go down. Now many seem resigned to the drop.

I think our expectations are different now because, due to past experience, we know exactly what a relegation team looks like. And we are looking at one right now.

We need three or four new faces at a minimum in my view.  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2021, 7:33pm; Reply: 143
Just listened to the James Hanson interview from last night. Clearly impressed by Hurst and Doig training and referred to ex manager as Holloway.
Posted by: Tommy, January 24, 2021, 7:39pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just listened to the James Hanson interview from last night. Clearly impressed by Hurst and Doig training and referred to ex manager as Holloway.

Yeah I've just listened to it too. Interesting few little snippets to take away from it like you say.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, January 24, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 145
If the players are not good enough and well below the standard for L2, what can Hurst do halfway through the season? They appear not to have any fight and Macca, who has rescued us so many times in the past, is having a bad time of it. They are shot shy and cannot score even one goal, a problem that has. plagued us for some time.
The best Hurst can do now is damage limitation. He is lumbered with what the previous manager left behind. I gather they are good at darts, though.
I remember the debacle in 2006 when we lost to Cheltenham in the play-off final. We had not lost to them before that game, I don't believe. They have no heritage, we've got loads but they have progressed giving City a scare last night and we have regressed to the bottom. We have had some great players at this club and played at a high level, done our share of giant killing over the years and always had loyal support.
We always had a reputation for playing attractive, passing football and had some great managers- Shankly, Lawrie Mac, Alan Buckley etc. How on earth has all of this heritage been lost? The club has totally lost its way. Change is needed and big change. I wonder if the incoming owners can provide it- but it won't be achieved overnight if they can.
Posted by: Tommy, January 24, 2021, 7:48pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from RonMariner

He did have rather longer in charge though. But regardless of that, Woods had never managed a club before. (and has never managed another one since.)  It was madness to drop him in at the deep end of a relegation fight. I blame the board for that.

You need experience in these situations. Hurst rescued Shrewsbury from the drop when all looked lost, so I think he could keep us up. But only if he can bring in a few more quality players.  

But with a squad as bad as ours it is more likely than not that we will go down, so staying would be an achievement.  

Yeah I get that it's not a complete like-for-like comparison. I was half just playing devil's advocate really, but also it is actually worth remembering that Woodsy didn't get a free pass on was generally thought of as responsible for taking us down.

Hurst has half a season which includes a transfer window. I know he's been left a excrement squad, but having watched our games before he took over he would've already had an idea what we needed.

I've seen a poster elsewhere suggest that Hurst could well keep us up as long as he can bring in some better players. I don't mean to sound negative or brutal, but thats part of a manager's job, to bring in better players. And if we can't get a 20-goal-a-season striker in, just get a 10-goal-a-season striker because that'll still be a massive improvement on our seemingly undroppable Matt f***ing Green.

Just to note. I am trying to be optimistic and do still think PH can keep us up.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 24, 2021, 7:53pm; Reply: 147
Hurst is a manager who needs players he can trust and who grasp his way of playing. He would not have been my choice and I didn’t rate him before,  but he’s here and we can’t start changing again. If Hurst can sign two,  three or four players he has worked with before then I think we might escape. Otherwise I don’t think he can get much out of the present squad and we’ve had it.
Posted by: GY1, January 24, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 148
I don't blame Hurst for anything at this point. We all know the blame for our predicament lies elsewhere. I do question his ability to motivate these players who clearly are not performing for him or the club. I can understand  his frustration and anger after seeing that last performance, but kicking a@se and taking names doesn't work for everyone. Imagine your boss coming in and announcing to you and your workmates that your a" bunch of losers, your not up to the job and your going to be replaced". What would your response be? I'm sure some would say, "I better knuckle down or I'm out",  others may say "fcuk you". So, my only point was people are motivated in different ways. One way or another we have to find the key to get this crew operating at a different level if we are to avoid the drop, because I am not sure the cavalry, in the form of new signings, is coming in time to save the day.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, January 24, 2021, 9:09pm; Reply: 149

Always easy from the comfort of your armchair!!

Sorry Chips, something far more important than this conversation cropped up...................................Countryfile was on !

;D

Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, January 24, 2021, 9:13pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from MarinerWY

I don't get this. Hurst has quite a monotone, dour voice. That isnt going to change. It's the content of what he says, and I dont think the fact he didn't stamp his feet and shout a lot means he wasnt necessarily harsh, passionate and blunt.

He directly said that people need to consider their futures in football. He said he was embarrassed and didn't want to be associated with the performance. He said that people had failed the most basic requirement of showing fight, and said he'd have certain Scunny players over them all day long.

So he didn't say it in an animated, charismatic way. That's not his personality. But I'm more interested in substance than cheap charisma: after all, Holloway could talk the talk and say a lot of nothing in a 'characterful way'. So could Bignot, I remember.

So people just dont like Hurst and anything he does wont be right by them tbh. I thought he spoke much more passionately than he'd allowed himself to in his last tenure here, and I think it was needed.

Your post sort of answers the point that I was trying to make. The last person the players see before taking the pitch is the manager and its his job to instil PASSION, PASSION, PASSION !

Listening to Hurst I would find it very difficult to become motivated !

Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 24, 2021, 9:13pm; Reply: 151

Sorry Chips, something far more important than this conversation cropped up...................................Countryfile was on !

;D

No problem mate....totally understand when you have a small farm to run!!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 24, 2021, 9:37pm; Reply: 152
Hurst is a manager who needs players he can trust and who grasp his way of playing. He would not have been my choice and I didn’t rate him before,  but he’s here and we can’t start changing again. If Hurst can sign two,  three or four players he has worked with before then I think we might escape. Otherwise I don’t think he can get much out of the present squad and we’ve had it.

I think there is a lot of truth in that. Managers accrue players they can trust over the years don't they? Buckley was a prime example - he used to take his favourite players everywhere with him!

He really ought to be able to get more out of the present bunch though, surely? I am still scratching my head as to just how bad we have become. I posted last week I thought the Southend game was the worst yet, and then followed yesterdays debacle. Some of the players, Waterfall, Hendrie, Williams Scannell and Rose for example have had decent careers and should be able to provide something.  

Of course, we also have the situation that Holloway was trying to play a more expansive open passing game, whilst until we get the team Hurst wants God knows what we are trying to do.

Anyway, we will know by the end of the week what is likely to happen. Either he gets in enough players that he is comfortable with and it all starts to click or it goes belly up.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, January 24, 2021, 9:42pm; Reply: 153

No problem mate....totally understand when you have a small farm to run!!

It's sheep next !!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Posted by: MarinerWY, January 24, 2021, 10:18pm; Reply: 154

Your post sort of answers the point that I was trying to make. The last person the players see before taking the pitch is the manager and its his job to instil PASSION, PASSION, PASSION !

I think this places far too much weight on one person to be honest.

Of course the manager is ultimately responsible for bringing people in, tactics, identifying development areas, managing personalities etc.. amongst other things - and yes, motivating the team.

But there has to be some flipping personal responsibility from the players. They are professionals after all. A good manager can make them go the extra 10%, but they need to be putting in 80/90% in the first place. Suggesting the players couldn't be arsed cos they didn't get the right motivational speech off the manager is letting them off the hook to say the least.

I've worked in teams with a motivational team leader who can get people fired up. But it's not like when we didn't have that, we all went "well intercourse it, I cant be arsed to do my job cos I havent had the right pep talk".

I expect a base standard of motivation from professional footballers, regardless of whether they've had a Rocky speech from the manager. And if that base standard of motivation isnt there, I honestly wouldnt expect any manager to be able to magic it up: the players need to do their bit first and the manager can then mould it and lift it to make it effective.
Posted by: GY1, January 24, 2021, 11:22pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from MarinerWY

I think this places far too much weight on one person to be honest.

Of course the manager is ultimately responsible for bringing people in, tactics, identifying development areas, managing personalities etc.. amongst other things - and yes, motivating the team.

But there has to be some flipping personal responsibility from the players. They are professionals after all. A good manager can make them go the extra 10%, but they need to be putting in 80/90% in the first place. Suggesting the players couldn't be arsed cos they didn't get the right motivational speech off the manager is letting them off the hook to say the least.

I've worked in teams with a motivational team leader who can get people fired up. But it's not like when we didn't have that, we all went "well intercourse it, I cant be arsed to do my job cos I havent had the right pep talk".

I expect a base standard of motivation from professional footballers, regardless of whether they've had a Rocky speech from the manager. And if that base standard of motivation isnt there, I honestly wouldnt expect any manager to be able to magic it up: the players need to do their bit first and the manager can then mould it and lift it to make it effective.

I happen to think Hurst is a decent manager and is as good as we are likely to get in this division. I agree with most of what you have said, but now what?  As I said, I understand his frustration and anger, but if it's not working, the manager has to find a way to affect the outcomes of the games That's his job, even though he inherited the squad. :)

Posted by: essexexile, January 25, 2021, 12:05am; Reply: 156
Quoted from smokey111

Not getting into a love in, but I agree with all of this Limerick. Horrible phrase, but I think it is game management. For me it is getting in the ear of the ref, fourth official and linos. Tactical fouls, niggly tackles etc. All the things that we hate other sides doing to us.

Yeh but we don’t have the leaders in the side to do that
We can’t even lay off, we get too tight give easy free kicks away, our game management is non existent
We don’t give ourselves a chance
Posted by: DB, January 25, 2021, 1:04am; Reply: 157
Hursty can say and do as he likes on the training ground and in the dressing room. Once those so called 'professional' employees cross the line it is them who have to put in a shift.

Imagine any other man in a job not doing what he was trained for, be it food factory, car factory, shop etc.. Would the supervisor/foreman (Macca in our case) take responsibility or the manager? Macca seems to have been missed for his lack of inept leadership on the pitch.

He is the team captain, like it or not, so he should be an example, a leader. His own personal performances, as a whole, have been dire this season. He is not the keeper he was and sadly has to go, but also for his other failure to lead on the pitch.
Posted by: cannylad68, January 25, 2021, 10:20am; Reply: 158
Can someone explain the point that Hurst isn't getting motivation from the team?

I don't remember, did Holloway?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 25, 2021, 10:31am; Reply: 159

I think Mr Hurst has been known to raise his voice! No, I know what you mean, teacups and chicken legs? But not every manager works like Sean Bean on Yorkshire Tea.  ;)  These are professional players and while they may need reminders that is how they earn their living, that should be enough of a motivation as an individual. That is one reason Coke may possibly be useful, we need leaders on the field, big gobs and examples.

Posted by: Nutsy, January 25, 2021, 10:36am; Reply: 160
Personally,

Clifton, Matete and Spokes are the midfield I'd be starting - they at least put a shift in.

Morias, Wright and Bennett are the attackers that need to start - Scannell still looked to be recovering.

Habergham still getting fit, Hendrie is dependable - Waterfall and Mayenese will be better,

Macca plays with passion and will be ok for this season.

We NEED a striker.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 25, 2021, 11:47am; Reply: 161
Quoted from Nutsy
Personally,

Clifton, Matete and Spokes are the midfield I'd be starting - they at least put a shift in.

Morias, Wright and Bennett are the attackers that need to start - Scannell still looked to be recovering.

Habergham still getting fit, Hendrie is dependable - Waterfall and Mayenese will be better,

Macca plays with passion and will be ok for this season.

We NEED a striker.

They are injured, Bennett long term (send him back)
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 25, 2021, 11:54am; Reply: 162
If a professional footballer is not motivated to give his all on the pitch then he should find another job.

Our lot look if they have been for a short walk not running and tackling for 90 minutes.

Like Hurst said some of them will be for a rude awakening .
Posted by: RonMariner, January 25, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from grimsby pete
If a professional footballer is not motivated to give his all on the pitch then he should find another job.

Our lot look if they have been for a short walk not running and tackling for 90 minutes.

Like Hurst said some of them will be for a rude awakening .

Exactly. I think some of them are drinking in the last chance saloon as far as an EFL career goes if they are seen to fail miserably here. Hurst said as much in his interview when he said 'no one is going to come knocking....'

I recon he will had read the riot act to them after Saturdays humiliation and it will be interesting to see how they respond on Tuesday.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 25, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 164
Quoted from RonMariner

Exactly. I think some of them are drinking in the last chance saloon as far as an EFL career goes if they are seen to fail miserably here. Hurst said as much in his interview when he said 'no one is going to come knocking....'

I recon he will had read the riot act to them after Saturdays humiliation and it will be interesting to see how they respond on Tuesday.

My informant suggested that one of the first team squad may be drinking too much in that saloon. ;)
Posted by: Davec, January 25, 2021, 6:19pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from RonMariner

Is Mike Newell the barman?

But why are they drinking in the last chance saloon, don't they know we are in Lockdown!

Posted by: RonMariner, January 25, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from Davec

Is Mike Newell the barman?

But why are they drinking in the last chance saloon, don't they know we are in Lockdown!

Perhaps Conlon is the waiter.
Posted by: smokey111, January 25, 2021, 10:03pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from essexexile

Yeh but we don’t have the leaders in the side to do that
We can’t even lay off, we get too tight give easy free kicks away, our game management is non existent
We don’t give ourselves a chance

I agree entirely. The experienced or vocal players of the team should be doing it. Macca, Waterfall, Pollock, Hendrie, Rose, Hanson, Morais, Payne. They must have around 2,500 games between them. Start showing niggle, spite, balls etc. All the things a side in a relegation scrap should be doing as a given.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 1:04pm