Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sinkfortheladies, January 23, 2021, 3:04pm
Before I continue I have no idea how viable this could/would be.

But is it possible that the Holy trinity could purchase new shares that could pump monies into the football club ASAP, whilst waiting for the verification and long process of the takeover of Mr. Fenty's shares, and thus giving us a better budget to go out and attack the market and attract the players we need to give us an opportunity of saving us?

Like I said I have literally no idea if possible/viable but we obviously need a bigger budget and I can't see the takeover being legitimatised until February which would leave us over a barrel.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 23, 2021, 3:31pm; Reply: 1
Think its' too late. Only a week to go in the window.

Afraid we have had it.
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 23, 2021, 3:39pm; Reply: 2
I seem to recall our current "Chairman" stated that finance wasn't an issue during this window.. Or was I dreaming that... :'(

Where is the said Chairman, he seems to have disappeared??  Day normally likes to respond to comments, perhaps he can explain how the current situation has been allowed to materialise at our Club.

As for the "Owner" of this mess, sorry Club, he could perhaps "gift" back the share value from Mike Parker as a parting gift..

Provide Hursty with another pot of cash, rather then the psss pot we currently have.

I think that is the least he could do..
Posted by: gytone, January 23, 2021, 3:50pm; Reply: 3
If Fenty was a proper fan, like he claims to be, he wouldn't be calling in his loans, you know them benign ones, like he said he never would, or perhaps maybe he could gift those shares back to the trust, you know just to try to claim a small scrap of credibility......I know I won't hold my breath.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 23, 2021, 3:51pm; Reply: 4
If I was in the consortium I'd halve my offer and call Fenty's bluff to take it or leave it.

No one but them is ever going to pump money into this club. I have to think it is entirely a buyers market at this point.
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 23, 2021, 3:53pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from gytone
If Fenty was a proper fan, like he claims to be, he wouldn't be calling in his loans, you know them benign ones, like he said he never would, or perhaps maybe he could gift those shares back to the trust, you know just to try to claim a small scrap of credibility......I know I won't hold my breath.

Those shares have no value unless someone wants to buy them..  He should write them off and gift the money back to the club, so it can be used to repair some of the damage that his regime has caused..
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 23, 2021, 3:55pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Sinkfortheladies
Before I continue I have no idea how viable this could/would be.

But is it possible that the Holy trinity could purchase new shares that could pump monies into the football club ASAP, whilst waiting for the verification and long process of the takeover of Mr. Fenty's shares, and thus giving us a better budget to go out and attack the market and attract the players we need to give us an opportunity of saving us?

Like I said I have literally no idea if possible/viable but we obviously need a bigger budget and I can't see the takeover being legitimatised until February which would leave us over a barrel.

I am not sure about the logistics of that but if the new owners have got any sense they would have a meeting with Hurst tomorrow and agree on their money being made available immediately to get some of his first-choice players in.

It is going to cost them more in the long run if we go down.
Posted by: RexFannies, January 23, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 7
What money?
Posted by: sam gy, January 23, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 8
Probably not about money is it. We’re struggling because we’re bottom of league 2 and there’s a pandemic which means players might be less willing to move to a different town at the moment/or travel further
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, January 23, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 9
Also limited by salary cap rules, so I can’t imagine that there is scope for any major injection of cash even if the will to do it was there
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 23, 2021, 6:54pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from RonMariner
If I was in the consortium I'd halve my offer and call Fenty's bluff to take it or leave it.

No one but them is ever going to pump money into this club. I have to think it is entirely a buyers market at this point.

What makes you think the Consortium will invest. All they have done is buy out the major shareholder.

No idea what there plans for the future are, but
It will probably all go breasts up, once we are relegated
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 23, 2021, 7:15pm; Reply: 11
I knew this would happen. One week left of the transfer window, and we have got none of our first choice targets.

There is never enough urgency shown by anybody.

Prior to Christmas, it was obvious we were deep in a relegation battle; Hurst came in saying he had kept tabs on all the players he would like but of course a few weeks later we have only been able to attract a player coming back from long term injury who hasn't played in ages, a Mansfield squad player and a 19-year-old just making his way in the game. These may well be good players in due course but they were not his first targets.

Hurst himself said we needed 7/8 players, and here we are in the last week still several short.

Who is in charge of transfer policy? Are the new owners having an input? Is it still down to Fenty?

There should have ben a crisis meeting the minute Hurst got through the door between the manager the new owners and Fenty to decide what to do in the best interests of the club. Hurst knew we weren't good enough; he had seen the previous 4 matches before he took over. It was blindingly obvious to us all that several players needed replacing with quality (for the lower end of league 2) players. It should have been the overriding priority if necessary to pay over the odds at the start of the window and not leave it too late.

Every bloody week brings new hope only for it to be dashed on the altar of inactivity. Is anybody at the club awake? Does Day still think we can waltz into the Championship without signing anybody even remotely decent?

I see Hurst showed a bit of passion in his post-match interview. He should be on the blower to officials tomorrow showing the same passion and stating we will be relegated unless we pay for suitable replacements for our simply terrible players.

I know it is not easy; a look at the league table will show a team on its arris, but it was obvious ages ago we might have to be very competitive with money in the pursuit of players who are prepared to play at this level. We are not looking for Ronaldos, we are looking for experienced league 2 pros who might enjoy a scrap and would like to bank a nice juicy bonus if we stay up.

And if Green starts one more bloody game I will have to be taken to A&E.    
Posted by: golfer, January 23, 2021, 7:38pm; Reply: 12
Have the consortium actually signed the deal. The value of the club must obviously be sinking by the minute .JSF must know that his loans and shares are absolutely worthless if the consortium back out so surely they hold the upper hand - offer 1/2 and tell him where to go. Lucky to get a penny for this shower of shite that he is supposedly leaving us
Posted by: ginnywings, January 23, 2021, 7:50pm; Reply: 13
I knew this would happen. One week left of the transfer window, and we have got none of our first choice targets.

There is never enough urgency shown by anybody.

Prior to Christmas, it was obvious we were deep in a relegation battle; Hurst came in saying he had kept tabs on all the players he would like but of course a few weeks later we have only been able to attract a player coming back from long term injury who hasn't played in ages, a Mansfield squad player and a 19-year-old just making his way in the game. These may well be good players in due course but they were not his first targets.

Hurst himself said we needed 7/8 players, and here we are in the last week still several short.

Who is in charge of transfer policy? Are the new owners having an input? Is it still down to Fenty?

There should have ben a crisis meeting the minute Hurst got through the door between the manager the new owners and Fenty to decide what to do in the best interests of the club. Hurst knew we weren't good enough; he had seen the previous 4 matches before he took over. It was blindingly obvious to us all that several players needed replacing with quality (for the lower end of league 2) players. It should have been the overriding priority if necessary to pay over the odds at the start of the window and not leave it too late.

Every bloody week brings new hope only for it to be dashed on the altar of inactivity. Is anybody at the club awake? Does Day still think we can waltz into the Championship without signing anybody even remotely decent?

I see Hurst showed a bit of passion in his post-match interview. He should be on the blower to officials tomorrow showing the same passion and stating we will be relegated unless we pay for suitable replacements for our simply terrible players.

I know it is not easy; a look at the league table will show a team on its arris, but it was obvious ages ago we might have to be very competitive with money in the pursuit of players who are prepared to play at this level. We are not looking for Ronaldos, we are looking for experienced league 2 pros who might enjoy a scrap and would like to bank a nice juicy bonus if we stay up.

And if Green starts one more bloody game I will have to be taken to A&E.    

That's all well and good, but if intended targets don't want to come, what can he do? We have been so sh1te for so long that players will avoid us like the plague. We are seeing the results of years of under investment and it can't be sorted in a one month window.

I'm sure PH and the new guys know what needs doing but they have been left a poisoned chalice by the fish merchant and the bull sh1tter.

Posted by: Sinkfortheladies, January 23, 2021, 8:16pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from golfer
Have the consortium actually signed the deal. The value of the club must obviously be sinking by the minute .JSF must know that his loans and shares are absolutely worthless if the consortium back out so surely they hold the upper hand - offer 1/2 and tell him where to go. Lucky to get a penny for this shower of shite that he is supposedly leaving us

From what we've all been told there is an agreement and some paperwork signed. If one side pulls out there is a financial penalty to be paid towards the other side. So I don't think it would be possible or financially viable to pull out to re-enter into more drawn-out negotiations.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 23, 2021, 8:55pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings

That's all well and good, but if intended targets don't want to come, what can he do? We have been so sh1te for so long that players will avoid us like the plague. We are seeing the results of years of under investment and it can't be sorted in a one month window.

I'm sure PH and the new guys know what needs doing but they have been left a poisoned chalice by the fish merchant and the bull sh1tter.

Like I said - money.

We don't need extravagant signings but sign them we must. The deal has to be attractive. Let's be honest we are fishing in a very small pond, and our rivals for said players cannot be setting the world on fire.

Money talks, together with the good things the new owners have said to Hurst (hopefully) we should surely be able to attract the 3 or 4 half decent players we need to at least compete at the bottom end of league 2?

I take your points, of course I do, but drastic circumstances call for drastic measures (if you call paying decent money/contract length drastic)
Posted by: toontown, January 23, 2021, 10:26pm; Reply: 16

Like I said - money.

We don't need extravagant signings but sign them we must. The deal has to be attractive. Let's be honest we are fishing in a very small pond, and our rivals for said players cannot be setting the world on fire.

Money talks, together with the good things the new owners have said to Hurst (hopefully) we should surely be able to attract the 3 or 4 half decent players we need to at least compete at the bottom end of league 2?

I take your points, of course I do, but drastic circumstances call for drastic measures (if you call paying decent money/contract length drastic)

Totally agreed, we are simply going to have to pay over the odds to get the required quality of players in to have a chance of staying up.

Ferry's penny pinching has really caught up this time..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 17
So there’s a few scenarios.....

- Quality young players might come on loans to get games regardless of the distance and deal but we need some experience they can’t all be U23s

- If your a bigger club would you want one of your players to experience this sh1t show? How good would that be?

- We may be able to attract some experienced players but for every Billy Clarke out there there’s 20 Kyle Bennett’s.

- If your a pro playing in an EFL side you wouldn’t sign for us even if it was for more money.

- There might be a few decent players clubs need to off load quickly just for financial reasons but if they’re decent we won’t be the only offer.

I don’t think it’s a case of not acting quick enough I just don’t think decent players want to come here, why would they? Money won’t persuade them to be part of a sinking ship.
Posted by: RexFannies, January 24, 2021, 12:00am; Reply: 18
Didn’t Holloway say his phone was ringing off the hook with people wanting to play for him.
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 12:35am; Reply: 19
Sack the lot and pay em off.

Get the mercenaries in and pay them on a win only basis, with half the amount for a draw. Nothing for a defeat. If there's a wage cap then let Cleethorpes Town sign them and we pay Clee Town a consultancy fee equal the wages, and then Grimsby Borough and do the same.

I don't like the idea but needs must and staring relegation in the eye is MUST.

Or if you don't like this pill why not say to your transfer target how much do you want, pay them that plus a win bonus, say 20%, on top.

There are ways and means to get players in and the best incentive is MONEY.
Posted by: golfer, January 24, 2021, 9:59am; Reply: 20
What players ?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 21
Severance pay is not included in the salary cap, so I assume that players can be paid off without penalty.

So in theory, we could chuck serious money at it by paying off players and offering over the odds for incoming players. Still doesn't get round the problem of attracting those players to a side that has a good chance of relegation to the NL. We could offer them short term, end of season deals, or deals with a relegation clause, but that would leave them looking for another club in a few months time if we were to go down.

Maybe looking for the cream of the leagues below is the way to go, with clubs down there in financial straits and looking to offload, although the better ones will be with the clubs at the top end of the NL, and they will want to hang onto them for now, in case they carry on. If they don't carry on, then none of it matters anyway as we will be safe.

It's a right pickle for sure.
Posted by: cannylad68, January 24, 2021, 10:14am; Reply: 22
I'm sure that Paul Hurst is doing his utmost to bring in better players.

But the lack of activity surely confirms how difficult this is.
Posted by: Norseman, January 24, 2021, 10:16am; Reply: 23
We are not going to attract and pay top players. Reason being we will not give them a long contract beyond this year, as we dont want them on our books in the National league. Which is where we are now certainly heading
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 24, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 24
If, and it’s a big if, the conference and below have their seasons stopped, surely clubs would be willing to loan players to a) save on wages and b) get players game time
Posted by: toontown, January 24, 2021, 10:44am; Reply: 25
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
If, and it’s a big if, the conference and below have their seasons stopped, surely clubs would be willing to loan players to a) save on wages and b) get players game time

If they stop now there won't be relegation so it doesn't matter.

We are so bad that cancellation of relegation (unthinkable in footy 12 months ago) is probably our most realistic chance of staying up. I thought we needed 6 players to stay up and a minimum of 4 to give us a chance. Well we've brought in 3, if we can only bring 1 more in then it's a near certainty it won't be enough, I think Hurst as much as admitted so the other day. Even 3 more, with the standard we seem able to attract it going to be tough.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 24, 2021, 10:48am; Reply: 26
Quoted from RexFannies
Didn’t Holloway say his phone was ringing off the hook with people wanting to play for him.

They probably were till they saw the terms of the contract.
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 11:31am; Reply: 27
I have said before the question to ask a target player is :-

a) How much do you want

b) When can you come

End of negotiation.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 24, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 28
The fact is that had we pushed the boat out in 2010 and brought in a few players that could get the two additional wins which would have kept us up, we would have been spared six years in the conference. Six years in which our revenue dropped by around £400k a year, or at least £2.4 million overall. It's the epitome of false economy.

It is worth spending big right now to avoid the drop. Very big.    
Posted by: toontown, January 24, 2021, 12:05pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from RonMariner
The fact is that had we pushed the boat out in 2010 and brought in a few players that could get the two additional wins which would have kept us up, we would have been spared six years in the conference. Six years in which our revenue dropped by around £400k a year, or at least £2.4 million overall. It's the epitome of false economy.

Spot on
Posted by: forza ivano, January 24, 2021, 12:08pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from cannylad68
I'm sure that Paul Hurst is doing his utmost to bring in better players.

But the lack of activity surely confirms how difficult this is.

We've brought in a 35 year old who hadn't played for a year, a left back who hasn't played for 18 months, plus a 19 year old Fleetwood reserve who has started only 1 F.L. game. Furthermore we are seriously looking at a34 year old midfielder who hasn't played in the league for 2 years. Nuff said
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 24, 2021, 12:23pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from RonMariner

Obviously you are right, and this was obvious weeks ago. I posted then that the business should be done at the start of the window, proper (over the odds) money paid to get the 4 players we needed to avoid the scenario you painted.

There was a tweet yesterday from Jason Stockwood (as a fan) saying 3 points today at Scunny and everything will be a lot brighter...I wonder what he is thinking now? We have no quality and unless we get it the new consortium is going to begin their term with us in non-league. Whatever plans they have is going to be very much harder and much more costly.

There has to be a way of getting decent targets and whatever stage the takeover is at they must all come together to ensure we can get the players we need.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 32

Obviously you are right, and this was obvious weeks ago. I posted then that the business should be done at the start of the window, proper (over the odds) money paid to get the 4 players we needed to avoid the scenario you painted.

There was a tweet yesterday from Jason Stockwood (as a fan) saying 3 points today at Scunny and everything will be a lot brighter...I wonder what he is thinking now? We have no quality and unless we get it the new consortium is going to begin their term with us in non-league. Whatever plans they have is going to be very much harder and much more costly.

There has to be a way of getting decent targets and whatever stage the takeover is at they must all come together to ensure we can get the players we need.

If they are available and want to come. There has been very little transfer activity this window, probably because of covid and other factors, but the last week is usually the busiest as teams finally have to decide who they are keeping and who they are letting go. Players options will start to come into focus as the week progresses.

Don't know if the Barrow game will come too soon, but I expect there will be some signings before we play Stevenage.
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 12:38pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

If they are available and want to come. There has been very little transfer activity this window, probably because of covid and other factors, but the last week is usually the busiest as teams finally have to decide who they are keeping and who they are letting go. Players options will start to come into focus as the week progresses.

Don't know if the Barrow game will come too soon, but I expect there will be some signings before we play Stevenage.

Can't see any new faces for Tuesday. I do hope you are right about the last week of transfers and as you say, along with most others, we need players who want to come.

UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 24, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ginnywings
Severance pay is not included in the salary cap, so I assume that players can be paid off without penalty.

So in theory, we could chuck serious money at it by paying off players and offering over the odds for incoming players. Still doesn't get round the problem of attracting those players to a side that has a good chance of relegation to the NL. We could offer them short term, end of season deals, or deals with a relegation clause, but that would leave them looking for another club in a few months time if we were to go down.

Maybe looking for the cream of the leagues below is the way to go, with clubs down there in financial straits and looking to offload, although the better ones will be with the clubs at the top end of the NL, and they will want to hang onto them for now, in case they carry on. If they don't carry on, then none of it matters anyway as we will be safe.

It's a right pickle for sure.

Get the duffers training with the kids tell their agents they’re not wanted and they’ll move. Maybe not before the end of this season but before that start of the next.

Players like Bale can sit around taking the cash as they know they’ll get loads of offers but if your out of favour at Grimsby and just happy to train and pick up a wage it could quite possibly signal the end of your career.

Then again as Hurst says some of them probably need to decide if they want to be professional footballers or not.
Posted by: Davec, January 24, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from forza ivano

We've brought in a 35 year old who hadn't played for a year, a left back who hasn't played for 18 months, plus a 19 year old Fleetwood reserve who has started only 1 F.L. game. Furthermore we are seriously looking at a34 year old midfielder who hasn't played in the league for 2 years. Nuff said

Who is this 35 year old who hasn't played in a year?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2021, 12:54pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Get the duffers training with the kids tell their agents they’re not wanted and they’ll move. Maybe not before the end of this season but before that start of the next.

Players like Bale can sit around taking the cash as they know they’ll get loads of offers but if your out of favour at Grimsby and just happy to train and pick up a wage it could quite possibly signal the end of your career.

Then again as Hurst says some of them probably need to decide if they want to be professional footballers or not.

But most of the first choice 11 were duffers yesterday, so who do you put in their place? Until we get recruitments in to replace them, we don't have many options. As poor as some of them have been, letting them know they are surplus to requirements isn't going to fire them up for the fight.

We can only hope that what Hurst said to them about their prospects in the game going forward, will make them think long and hard about the realities of their situation.

Hopefully enough of them will take note and up their game, along with some more additions that are up for the fight. I still think we can improve enough to finish outside the bottom two, even if that is 22nd and 1 place above the drop zone. Some teams have improved massively over the last few weeks, while others have had the opposite. Newport, Cheltenham, Colchester and Bolton have all dropped like a stone to the bottom of the form guide, so there's hope that even after this run of playing teams at the wrong end of the table, there is scope to get results from others currently further up the table.
Posted by: gytone, January 24, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Davec

Who is this 35 year old who hasn't played in a year?

Giles Coke.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from gytone

Giles Coke.

He's 34 and we haven't even signed him yet. Think Forza is referring to Morais.

Interestingly, Morais scored 8 goals in 38 games for Crawley, which is way better than any striker we have.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 24, 2021, 1:23pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from ginnywings

But most of the first choice 11 were duffers yesterday, so who do you put in their place? Until we get recruitments in to replace them, we don't have many options. As poor as some of them have been, letting them know they are surplus to requirements isn't going to fire them up for the fight.

We can only hope that what Hurst said to them about their prospects in the game going forward, will make them think long and hard about the realities of their situation.

Hopefully enough of them will take note and up their game, along with some more additions that are up for the fight. I still think we can improve enough to finish outside the bottom two, even if that is 22nd and 1 place above the drop zone. Some teams have improved massively over the last few weeks, while others have had the opposite. Newport, Cheltenham, Colchester and Bolton have all dropped like a stone to the bottom of the form guide, so there's hope that even after this run of playing teams at the wrong end of the table, there is scope to get results from others currently further up the table.

Your 100% right, in my post I should of noted if and when we get re-enforcements.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 24, 2021, 2:57pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from toontown

If they stop now there won't be relegation so it doesn't matter.

We are so bad that cancellation of relegation (unthinkable in footy 12 months ago) is probably our most realistic chance of staying up. I thought we needed 6 players to stay up and a minimum of 4 to give us a chance. Well we've brought in 3, if we can only bring 1 more in then it's a near certainty it won't be enough, I think Hurst as much as admitted so the other day. Even 3 more, with the standard we seem able to attract it going to be tough.

This to me is now becoming a much more pivotal part of this transfer window.......kind of depends on how big your b0ll0cks are but with the non league looking increasingly shaky would you just gamble on not spending anything at all in the hope there will be no relegation anyway ?
Save your self a bundle of cash rather than spunking it up the wall on 5/6 players in the hope it will save you when you may not need saving anyway.

Posted by: DB, January 24, 2021, 3:08pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from moosey_club

This to me is now becoming a much more pivotal part of this transfer window.......kind of depends on how big your b0ll0cks are but with the non league looking increasingly shaky would you just gamble on not spending anything at all in the hope there will be no relegation anyway ?
Save your self a bundle of cash rather than spunking it up the wall on 5/6 players in the hope it will save you when you may not need saving anyway.

Don't like it and have to lump it but Town is still Fenty's club. Can anybody say hand on heart that our miser of an owner is going to sanction spending money. All he knows is loan, loan and loans and can you take a drop in wages.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 24, 2021, 4:53pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from DB

Don't like it and have to lump it but Town is still Fenty's club. Can anybody say hand on heart that our miser of an owner is going to sanction spending money. All he knows is loan, loan and loans and can you take a drop in wages.

Its the sort of Russian roulette he has played with lots of major decisions since he has had charge.....and more often than not there has been a bullett in chamber when he has pulled the trigger.
If we finish the season and end up in the relegation places but dodge the drop because non league gets scrapped i will feel pretty sleezy , not quite as much as i would have if Stevenage hadnt dodged it last year but finishing in the relegation places and not having to take your medicine feels wrong.
If that should happen but the takeover has gone through then i hope it serves as a shock and that the club uses it as a spur to kick on in all aspects.

Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:45pm