Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, January 21, 2021, 7:17pm
Delivering around Flitwick today and saw a runner pounding the roads in his Town shirt. Think he was a bit surprised to find a random white van man bellowing 'Up the Mariners' & 'Come on Town' out of the cab!

Made me think that we must have one of the largest Exiled fanbases , given our size of following, of any Football League club
(I've never seen Lincoln or Scunts shirts outside of Lincs, for example)
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 21, 2021, 7:26pm; Reply: 1

Must admit I had to Google Flitwick, never heard of it.....UTM
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 21, 2021, 7:27pm; Reply: 2
Was you delivering their papers?
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 21, 2021, 7:33pm; Reply: 3
We are everywhere .(groupwave)(groupwave1)
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2021, 7:43pm; Reply: 4
Where on earth is Flitwick?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 21, 2021, 7:45pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

Must admit I had to Google Flitwick, never heard of it.....UTM

My Dad taught Geography. His Dad taught Geography. I studied Geography. In our pre-internet childhood, instead of Razzle I memorised well-thumbed AA Road Atlases so much I got Geog-ers nipple...but I have never, ever heard of Flitwick
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 21, 2021, 7:46pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from forza ivano
Delivering around Flitwick today and saw a runner pounding the roads in his Town shirt. Think he was a bit surprised to find a random white van man bellowing 'Up the Mariners' & 'Come on Town' out of the cab!

Did he have come to Beds eyes?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 21, 2021, 7:47pm; Reply: 7

My Dad taught Geography. His Dad taught Geography. I studied Geography. In our pre-internet childhood, instead of Razzle I memorised well-thumbed AA Road Atlases so much I got Geog-ers nipple...but I have never, ever heard of Flitwick

Just off the M1 between Milton Keynes and Luton.
Posted by: pizzzza, January 21, 2021, 8:06pm; Reply: 8
Also having not heard of Flitwick I had to look it up on Wiki. The shirt worn by the runner wasn't of the 2009-10 vintage was it?

Quoted Text
Brian Stein, former Luton Town professional footballer, lives in Flitwick.
Posted by: DB, January 21, 2021, 8:13pm; Reply: 9
They seek them here
They seek them there
They seek Mariner supports everywhere
Are they in heaven
Are they in hell ( No)

There all over the place

(Sorry the last bit didn't rhyme)
Posted by: forza ivano, January 21, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pizzzza
Also having not heard of Flitwick I had to look it up on Wiki. The shirt worn by the runner wasn't of the 2009-10 vintage was it?

nah, definitely not. tall , blonde lad with one of those top knot thingamyjigs
Posted by: RonMariner, January 21, 2021, 8:30pm; Reply: 11
Flitwick was the name of a character in Harry Potter. Played by Warwick Davis in the movies.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

I'll get me coat.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 21, 2021, 8:45pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from forza ivano

nah, definitely not. tall , blonde lad with one of those top knot thingamyjigs

Top knot hey? Sounds like a hipster Bielsaball trequartista. Tie him up, stick him in your van (with the others), lend him some boots and our midfield will be as secure as the unit Trump should be put in
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 21, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from forza ivano

Shouting randomly at passers by is a clear example of white van man privilege
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 21, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 14
What a superb bunch of nutters. UTM X  
Posted by: pizzzza, January 21, 2021, 9:01pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from RonMariner
Flitwick was the name of a character in Harry Potter. Played by Warwick Davis in the movies.

I'm guessing it was only a small part?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 21, 2021, 9:08pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin

If you draw a triangle with Bedford, Milton Keynes & Luton as the 3 corners, Flitwick is bang in the middle.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GollyGTFC

If you draw a triangle with Bedford, Milton Keynes & Luton as the 3 corners, Flitwick is bang in the middle.

Having traveled the length and the breadth of the country in the past 40 or so years following The Mighty Mariners, I thought I'd heard of most places, but I must admit to never hearing of Flitwick until this evening.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 21, 2021, 9:20pm; Reply: 18

Sounds like the sort of place Holloway would live in.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 21, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 19

Cos he likes doing a quick Flit, or cos he gets on your Wick?  :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 21, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Les Brechin

Cos he likes doing a quick Flit, or cos he gets on your Wick?  :)

Both Les   :)

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 21, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 21

I think that place is called f@ckwhit...
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 21, 2021, 9:29pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I think that place is called f@ckwhit...

Twinned with Kapikanya (Zambia)
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, January 21, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from forza ivano

Made me think that we must have one of the largest Exiled fanbases , given our size of following, of any Football League club
(I've never seen Lincoln or Scunts shirts outside of Lincs, for example)

I live near there, what do you deliver?  ;D
Posted by: 140348 (Guest), January 21, 2021, 9:52pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Les Brechin

Bedfordshire
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 21, 2021, 10:11pm; Reply: 25
its not as good a place as clitflick
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 21, 2021, 10:12pm; Reply: 26
My best mate, lives near Flitwick, in a small village called Maulden thought you was talking him, when I saw Flitwick mariner.
It is not him. He had his right leg above the knee amputated a couple years ago.
I would stayover at his place, when playing teams nearby or going to Wembley.
When we were in the same league as Luton, he would bring the dads from his lads football team to Blundell Park.
Fish and chips in McMenemys, watch the match, then straight into Cleethorpes, for a right urine up.
The Luton fans loved this fixture, always topic of conversation their away days at BP and the night out in Cleethorpes, those were the days.

UTM
Posted by: forza ivano, January 21, 2021, 10:25pm; Reply: 27

I live near there, what do you deliver?  ;D

frozen meals for the Les Brechin ,Old Codger & Grimsby Pete generation  ;D ;D
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 21, 2021, 10:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from forza ivano

frozen meals for the Les Brechin ,Old Codger & Grimsby Pete generation  ;D ;D

Do Youngs sponsor you?
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 21, 2021, 10:38pm; Reply: 29
Flitwick just mentioned on Look North, it must be quite a place as they have a vaccination centre.
Posted by: Croxton, January 21, 2021, 10:50pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

See what you did there.   Skipped past it over my porridge at brekkie, penny dropped at bedtime!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 21, 2021, 11:00pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from DB
They seek them here
They seek them there
They seek Mariner supports everywhere
Are they in heaven
Are they in hell ( No)

There all over the place

(Sorry the last bit didn't rhyme)

Don’t get the red crossed. The bit in brackets  me laugh anyway.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, January 22, 2021, 7:06am; Reply: 32

Shouting randomly at passers by is a clear example of white van man privilege

That is a top value post, sir.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 22, 2021, 7:36am; Reply: 33
Ended up there quite a few times on the Thameslink after a few too many when working in London. Even ended up missing West Hampstead and ending up at Gatwick once on the way back
Posted by: Mallyner, January 22, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 34

Flitwick papers?

What the Dickens are you talking about?  ;)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, January 22, 2021, 11:07am; Reply: 35
Used to date a lass who moved to Ampthill and I would get the choo choo to Kings Cross then back up to Flitwick on the Thameslink from St Pancras. It was the nearest station to Ampthill.
It's pronounced Flittik as a mater of interest, small place but three or four decent pubs and curry house.
Posted by: Barrattstander, January 22, 2021, 2:19pm; Reply: 36
I am Flitwick Mariner !!

[youtube]u93bhAimFFU[/youtube]
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), January 22, 2021, 2:27pm; Reply: 37
No I am the Flitwick Mariner.☺
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 22, 2021, 2:29pm; Reply: 38
Hi,  I’m flitwick mariner
Posted by: Welwynmariner, January 22, 2021, 2:42pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Les Brechin

Having traveled the length and the breadth of the country in the past 40 or so years following The Mighty Mariners, I thought I'd heard of most places, but I must admit to never hearing of Flitwick until this evening.

It's also a stop on the Thameslink line from St Pancras up to Bedford which is the way to get to Milton Keynes when engineering work closes the Euston line.

I went to Mevagissey once and walked down to the harbour and there was this guy doing some diy wearing a Town shirt. Last place I would have expected to see one.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 22, 2021, 2:52pm; Reply: 40
Whilst living and working in Luton in the early 80’s I was seeing a bird from Flitwick.
Her family and friends all knew I was Town mad.
Please tell me this jogger wasn’t mid 30’s. 😓 😓
Posted by: forza ivano, January 22, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Civvy at last
Whilst living and working in Luton in the early 80’s I was seeing a bird from Flitwick.

he was!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, January 22, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 42
Used to drive there and park up when visiting London, as there used to be a large car park. But when they closed it, it only left the Tesco Car Park and you would get booked there. So stopped going there.
Posted by: kenlyn, January 22, 2021, 4:24pm; Reply: 43
Suprised to see the town I have lived in since 1989 mentioned on the forum. No it wasn't me jogging too old for that now and besides I can't run.

I arrived in Flitwick (the "w" is pronounced silently) to run the newsagents opposite the railway station which I left in 1996 when the company I worked for was taken over. Remained here as our children and grandchildren are settled in Northampton, so returning to Grimsby would put us further away then we are now. I remember when been asked to move to Flitwick my question was the same as many on here have said, where? and the response I got was in Bedfordshire between Bedford and Luton which are about 12 miles to the north and south, MK is about 15 miles to the west across the M1.

Both myself and wife were born in Grimsby and still refer to it as home, I lived on Springfield Road and my wife lived on Newsham Drive and we married in 1980 at Great Coates church and a couple of months later we moved to start our Newsagent career. We still manage visits now and again to family and friends but not since the pandemic hit which has stopped us attending a couple of funerals there. I attended Hereford starting the day it opened and appeared on the photo in the GET that day, my wife attended Western girls school.

I have upto retiring worked with alot of Luton supporters and always had plenty of banter with them over the years and still do although we have not kicked on like they have. I have known Brian Stein since arriving here and still see him from time to time mainly in the local Tesco, shortly after leaving GTFC he used to still wear his Grimsby fleece whilst walking his dog. Flitwick is a quiet place growing from a village to a small town until the yobs from Luton arrive on the train and cause havoc. I noticed that somebody mentioned the vacanation hub which is at the Rufus centre but it only opened thursday 21st January, so we are well behind other places and I am still waiting for my letter from the GP.

Everybody stay safe and UTM

Posted by: forza ivano, January 22, 2021, 4:29pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from kenlyn
Suprised to see the town I have lived in since 1989 mentioned on the forum. No it wasn't me jogging too old for that now and besides I can't run.

I arrived in Flitwick (the "w" is pronounced silently) to run the newsagents opposite the railway station which I left in 1996 when the company I worked for was taken over. Remained here as our children and grandchildren are settled in Northampton, so returning to Grimsby would put us further away then we are now. I remember when been asked to move to Flitwick my question was the same as many on here have said, where? and the response I got was in Bedfordshire between Bedford and Luton which are about 12 miles to the north and south, MK is about 15 miles to the west across the M1.

Both myself and wife were born in Grimsby and still refer to it as home, I lived on Springfield Road and my wife lived on Newsham Drive and we married in 1980 at Great Coates church and a couple of months later we moved to start our Newsagent career. We still manage visits now and again to family and friends but not since the pandemic hit which has stopped us attending a couple of funerals there. I attended Hereford starting the day it opened and appeared on the photo in the GET that day, my wife attended Western girls school.

I have upto retiring worked with alot of Luton supporters and always had plenty of banter with them over the years and still do although we have not kicked on like they have. I have known Brian Stein since arriving here and still see him from time to time mainly in the local Tesco, shortly after leaving GTFC he used to still wear his Grimsby fleece whilst walking his dog. Flitwick is a quiet place growing from a village to a small town until the yobs from Luton arrive on the train and cause havoc. I noticed that somebody mentioned the vacanation hub which is at the Rufus centre but it only opened thursday 21st January, so we are well behind other places and I am still waiting for my letter from the GP.

Everybody stay safe and UTM

so there are TWO Flitwick Mariners? This just gets better!
Posted by: thevera, January 22, 2021, 4:30pm; Reply: 45

2nd son of Civvy?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 22, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 46
If we do build the new training ground away from Grimsby, it looks like Flitwick could be in the running as a potential site. A hotbed of Mariner passion, quite literally in Civvy’s case
Posted by: Happy_Mariner, January 22, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 47
I run around Leicester in my various Town tops. Also played golf at Ullesthorpe, near Lutterworth and a lad on the next hole had a town hat on. Always makes my day to see fellow fans in random places. UTM
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 22, 2021, 5:26pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Happy_Mariner
I run around Leicester in my various Town tops. Also played golf at Ullesthorpe, near Lutterworth and a lad on the next hole had a town hat on. Always makes my day to see fellow fans in random places. UTM

I'm seen around Tesco in Melton Mowbray and with the poshies in Waitrose in Stamford (doing my Mum's shopping) in a Town bobble hat (not the Boris one) and facemask. Waiting for the next contact. There are a fair number of Mariners around Leics  / Notts / Rutland / South Lincs. For the Wembley finals, there are always a few that get on the train at Peterborough. For the first one in 1998, Peterborough station was packed with us...
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 22, 2021, 7:25pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from forza ivano

he was!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Only met Civvy the once but from recollection the jogger would need to be under 5 ft 4 inches, have Tourette’s, and be abusive to match officials nd then there is a chance of being his son 😀😀😀😀
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 22, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from thevera

2nd son of Civvy?

Technically 1st  ;)
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 22, 2021, 7:57pm; Reply: 51

Only met Civvy the once but from recollection the jogger would need to be under 5 ft 4 inches, have Tourette’s, and be abusive to match officials nd then there is a chance of being his son 😀😀😀😀

5ft 6 actually.
But I’ll concede the other 2  :B

However. I am now far better behaved! !! Honest
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 22, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 52

5ft 6 actually.
But I’ll concede the other 2  :B

However. I am now far better behaved! !! Honest

Only because your not allowed in to watch Civvy!!!

Hope you and your “ other” son are keeping well during this pandemic?
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 22, 2021, 9:14pm; Reply: 53

Only because your not allowed in to watch Civvy!!!

Hope you and your “ other” son are keeping well during this pandemic?

My known son is currently serving in the Falklands as a communications technician.
There are now several masts and domes with ‘UTM’ written on them for future generations to find. !!
Also, there is a stores hanger there with footy shirts and flags adorned. There is a 2005 Town shirt there.
Hope you and yours are well too.

PS. Maybe you’re right about not being allowed in.
I still give the useless officials sh1t on I follow 😉

UTM
Posted by: chelseacity, January 22, 2021, 9:41pm; Reply: 54
Come out of Sloane Square tube station with my GTFC shirt on, been stopped a few times by fellow GTFC fishies,  also stopped in that area & down the Kings road by our people,  but the most stops and biggest congratulations has been at the Fulham road tube station, massive support from Chelsea fans, they cannot get over 5,000 away fans on a Tuesday night, they said our support that night was way past any premier league away support.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 23, 2021, 12:00pm; Reply: 55
Youinger Son Of lies down that way at a place called Lower Stondon but wouldn't be out in a Town shirt, like me he only wears one for matches.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 23, 2021, 2:49pm; Reply: 56

Although we deserve to be getting beat.
Surely you would agree that this Ref is a ****ing useless ***t  and a ****er.  Absolute ***t.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 23, 2021, 2:57pm; Reply: 57

Surely you would agree that this Ref is a ****ing useless ***t  and a ****er.  Absolute ***t.

Can’t see through all the tears, I’ve got texts arriving every few seconds from Lincoln fans who are just loving this. Never felt so low being a town fan. Thought Hurst would sneak a few 1-0 wins but we seem to get worse week by week, it’s just embarrassing 😭😭
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 23, 2021, 3:05pm; Reply: 58

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 23, 2021, 4:36pm; Reply: 59
I know Flit(w)ick well from when I lived in MK

Just off M1 Junction 13

Had friends who lived there - last went there a couple of years back to meet up for a coffee before I continued on down to Luton ( we lost - just before Christmas )

My biggest surprise was bumping in to a fellow Town fan in the car park of the Co-op in Thrapston when I lived there

Remember it well.... we'd just scraped a draw in our last league visit to Burnley and I was proudly wearing my Town top

It was a bit surreal living in what effectively is the middle of nowhere having a chat with a fellow Town fan about our chances of staying in the second tier.

We then went on to only get a couple of points after that game and the rest is history   :-/
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:08am