Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: DB, January 20, 2021, 11:45pm
We all know the worst.

So I wondered who the best chairman was. When you read the resume's ,http://www.extra-gtfc.co.uk/accounts/chairman ,  it gives a few interesting facts. From the early years, to the Ramsden (including proxy) years to our current ,,,,,,,,,, well you know.

My pick Richard Middleton.
Posted by: Mariner56, January 21, 2021, 7:35am; Reply: 1
Paddy Hamilton
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 21, 2021, 7:41am; Reply: 2
Phil Day. Because he’ll be the last pseudo chairman of the Fenty era and, with the help of Alex whoever, exposed the rot.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 21, 2021, 8:17am; Reply: 3
Easy.

Christmas White. Just for his name.
Posted by: Mallyner, January 21, 2021, 9:05am; Reply: 4
Biil Carr.

Bill was a lovely,honest man and we used to rent a shop from him. He often used to talk about his beloved Mariners and once told me that with the capacity of the ground and catchment area, it would be hard to sustain the level in the leagues we had achieved.

William Carr [1994-1999] - William Herbert Carr was a successful builder & land developer. 'Bill' presided over the Club in arguably the most successful post war period seeing two Wembley successes in 1998. During his tenureship Blundell Park was redeveloped to be an all seater stadium to meet the requirements of Lord Justice Taylor's Report, Gary Croft and John Oster were sold for record transfer fees but the reappointment of Alan Buckley is without doubt the most significant event during his period in charge. He also set the Club firmly on the path to relocation recognising sustainability would only be achieved away from Blundell Park at a purpose built multi-use stadium. Bill passed away in February 2004.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 21, 2021, 9:06am; Reply: 5
I remember being about 8 years old on a cold afternoon before kick off and I was clutching my programme and a hot chocolate and this chap complimented me on my Town hat, turned out it was Bill Carr and he struck up a conversation with my Grandad just out the blue, he didn't know us but he happily stood there talking to us for a good 5 minutes, came across like a really nice bloke. Very down to earth and really happy to talk to fans.
Posted by: psgmariner, January 21, 2021, 9:27am; Reply: 6
Like prime ministers, town managers, town players and lots of others, chairman get more popular the longer they have been away. Bill Carr got the full range of fan protests and seemed universally disliked by the end.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 21, 2021, 9:28am; Reply: 7
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gzIAiyxS-nk
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 21, 2021, 9:35am; Reply: 8
Thomas Chippendale
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 21, 2021, 9:42am; Reply: 9
If John Fenty is Alan Partridge incarnate, surely ‘Bill...Carr...10...King La...Road, King Road, Ipswich’ would be the alleged details that Fenty would allegedly give the police if he was allegedly caught speeding (allegedly) again.
Posted by: aussiej, January 21, 2021, 9:46am; Reply: 10
Paddy Hamilton for me...
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 21, 2021, 10:14am; Reply: 11
Paddy Hamilton and Bill Carr.  Both very good.

From memory, we played Notts County at home in the Cup, the first home game after Paddy died.  I did not go but know that there was a special atmosphere.

County were 2 divisions above us but we played them off the park, winning 3-1.  (As I remember anyway).

A great tribute to a very unassuming man, who loved this Club.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 21, 2021, 10:26am; Reply: 12
Quoted Text
In 2005 Russell Slade was appointed and there was relative success on the pitch in reaching the Football League Division 3 play-off final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Eh?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 21, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 13
I liked Bill Carr and Middleton, but I’d pick Paddy Hamilton. It was very hard to tell a word he said! But he was a genuine bloke and he brought McMenemy to the club.

The one I remember hearing most about was FA Would. That fisherman with the loudest voice in Grimsby would stand in the outside corner by the Osmond and bellow across the ground. “Are you there Would?”
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 21, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 14
Bob Lincoln.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 21, 2021, 11:40am; Reply: 15
Like Presidents and Prime Ministers, Chairman's legacies are only realised after they have gone
Posted by: cannylad68, January 21, 2021, 1:28pm; Reply: 16
Ron,

Made me chuckle re 'are you there Would', we nicknamed him Gravel Voice, because of the gruffness.

In my memory I thought he stood in the Barratt stand, and was at most home games.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 21, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from cannylad68
Ron,

Made me chuckle re 'are you there Would', we nicknamed him Gravel Voice, because of the gruffness.

In my memory I thought he stood in the Barratt stand, and was at most home games.

I think he did stand in the Barratt but I remember him from when I was in the Boys Paddock being in the open corner ...... all over the open corner! ;D

Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 21, 2021, 2:22pm; Reply: 18

I think he did stand in the Barratt but I remember him from when I was in the Boys Paddock being in the open corner ...... all over the open corner! ;D

Remember the Boys Paddock well with the unofficial toilet at the back. 2s 3d to get in.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 21, 2021, 2:25pm; Reply: 19
Like Presidents and Prime Ministers, Chairman's legacies are only realised after they have gone

Think we knew D Trump's legacy from day one.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 21, 2021, 2:31pm; Reply: 20
Has to be George Pearce

BUT

If in my time my choice would be Paddy Hamilton.
Posted by: chrissy, January 21, 2021, 2:34pm; Reply: 21
George Pearce
Posted by: cannylad68, January 21, 2021, 2:59pm; Reply: 22
I'm pretty sure it was 3d. when I started going in the boy's stand.
Silver threepenny bit, like the ones you used to get in your Christmas puddings

Posted by: Simon, January 21, 2021, 7:05pm; Reply: 23
Bill Carr was a proper gentleman, was fortunate to attend a few away games with the directors in those days and have many happy memories
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 21, 2021, 7:29pm; Reply: 24
In my lifetime Bill Carr- Both Buckley and Macca said really good things about him
Posted by: mariner83, January 21, 2021, 10:12pm; Reply: 25
Bill Carr, oh to be chanting "sack the board" for facing relegation from what is now the Championship.
Posted by: Sammo, January 21, 2021, 10:29pm; Reply: 26
Bill Carr- I grew up living near Blundell Park and when I was younger I’d ride my bike around the outside of the ground when bored during the holidays,  I was riding my bike around the ground on the day we signed Nicky Southall and saw the gates open between the Findus and Osmond so I decided to be nosy and see what was happening inside the ground, Bill Carr saw me and half expecting him to tell me to clear off asked if I would like to come and meet our new signing and Brian Laws.

He was a gentleman.
Posted by: DB, January 27, 2021, 5:42am; Reply: 27
The Winner..........BILL CARR[color=black][/color]

Runner UP..........  Paddy Hamilton

Thank you all for your posts over the last week.
Posted by: malkamalka, January 27, 2021, 11:17am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Mallyner
Biil Carr.

"He also set the Club firmly on the path to relocation recognising sustainability would only be achieved away from Blundell Park at a purpose built multi-use stadium.."

The day after Bill Carr left, Dudley Ramsden had to provide loans to prevent the club entering administration.

Posted by: golfer, January 27, 2021, 3:26pm; Reply: 29
I liked Bill Carr and Middleton, but I’d pick Paddy Hamilton. It was very hard to tell a word he said! But he was a genuine bloke and he brought McMenemy to the club.

The one I remember hearing most about was FA Would. That fisherman with the loudest voice in Grimsby would stand in the outside corner by the Osmond and bellow across the ground. “Are you there Would?”

Didn't he build the Leisure Centre and sold the council a pile of mud out of the footings as a ski slope ?
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:17am