Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 20, 2021, 7:09pm
As promised I've been through the many posts and selected a small selection of bloomers, mishaps and plain old intercourse ups, There are so many to choose from but only 7 options and I've stayed away from selecting individuals.  So please select your top embarrassing moment so we can crown the winner Saturday evening. Maybe a trophy is required.

One answer each to ensure fairness.

I really hope nothing is added to the many nominations in the next year or two, that would mean the takeover is finalised and we finally 'do our talking on pitch'.

UTM
Posted by: Bigdog, January 20, 2021, 7:55pm; Reply: 1
I think one that hasn't been mentioned yet on either thread was the treatment of Kristine Green, a superb fan representative and SLO. So great was she, that the club in their wisdom had to get their own SLO in who only did home games, which sort of defeats the idea of having independent fan representation. Another example of ill-judged control freakery..
Posted by: aldi_01, January 20, 2021, 8:05pm; Reply: 2
You’ve done well to create a relatively short voting list there...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 20, 2021, 8:27pm; Reply: 3
Tough job to condense it to 7, and tough to pick just one.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 20, 2021, 8:27pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from aldi_01
You’ve done well to create a relatively short voting list there...

I had a shortlist of 15 but poll only has 7 options. 😀
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 20, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

I had a shortlist of 15 but poll only has 7 options. 😀

Pick your top 6 and put "Other" as your 7th option   ;)

Posted by: mariner83, January 20, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 6
You could've done a World Cup of embarrassing moments :(
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 20, 2021, 10:24pm; Reply: 7
I voted for the Alex May thing but if it had been comedy moment I would have gone flag snapping or fans forum as the most cringe worthy.
Posted by: pontoon442, January 20, 2021, 10:38pm; Reply: 8
Don't forget Slade's team talk on the pitch at Lincoln, what a disgrace, team spirit went straight out of the window that day for the rest of the season, cost us promotion
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 21, 2021, 6:17am; Reply: 9
Quoted from pontoon442
Don't forget Slade's team talk on the pitch at Lincoln, what a disgrace, team spirit went straight out of the window that day for the rest of the season, cost us promotion

Just outside top 10
Posted by: wuffing, January 21, 2021, 7:01am; Reply: 10
Faragegate!
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 21, 2021, 9:40am; Reply: 11
Quoted from wuffing
Faragegate!

Yep, came here to say that. Easily Farage. Whether you're a tory gammon or a leftie snowflake shouldn't be relevant here. Football clubs shouldn't be aligning themselves politically, especially not with racist slugs like Farage.
Posted by: Yoda, January 21, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 12
Don’t forget the alleged secret recording in the car that was leaked.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 21, 2021, 10:37am; Reply: 13
Quoted from pontoon442

Oddly, I've always thought it was more down to the January transfer dealings but looking the on the records that's not the case at all. Just 7 points dropped from a maximum of 24 from the start of Feb to the Lincoln game (25th March), then (including the Lincoln game) we dropped 14 points from the 24 available until the end of the season, including a crippling four draws in the final five games.  In the end we finished 3 points behind 3rd place Leyton Orient with a superior goal difference.

I think my memory definitely erased how bad the collapse was in the final straight.  

Going back further, January itself wasn't great either.  Just 5 points picked up from the final 18.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 22, 2021, 1:14pm; Reply: 14
close the the top.....one day to go.
Posted by: Poojah, January 22, 2021, 1:29pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from diehardmariner

Oddly, I've always thought it was more down to the January transfer dealings but looking the on the records that's not the case at all. Just 7 points dropped from a maximum of 24 from the start of Feb to the Lincoln game (25th March), then (including the Lincoln game) we dropped 14 points from the 24 available until the end of the season, including a crippling four draws in the final five games.  In the end we finished 3 points behind 3rd place Leyton Orient with a superior goal difference.

I think my memory definitely erased how bad the collapse was in the final straight.  

Going back further, January itself wasn't great either.  Just 5 points picked up from the final 18.

I think this is one of those instances where stats can be a little misleading. In the 7 games after Lincoln we played Carlisle (champions), Leyton Orient (promoted), Cheltenham (promoted) and Northampton (promoted).

There's no doubting it was a tough run in, and we only lost once, away to a Michael Bridges inspired Carlisle. Dropped points against Shrewsbury and Macclesfield weren't great, but a combination of things - Joe Hart, pressure in general, and losing Rob Jones half-way through the first half at Moss Rose to go and witness the birth of his child are also mitigating circumstances to a degree.

This is in no way intended as a defence of the eggman, I just don't think the half-time flip chart was that significant a factor in our failure to win promotion that season.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 23, 2021, 8:37pm; Reply: 16
Fenty and May win....
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:35am