Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 20, 2021, 1:06pm
;D

[tweet]1351816412004757506[/tweet]
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 20, 2021, 1:13pm; Reply: 1
Not actually for Town but I know that Steve Sherwood scored for Watford once.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 20, 2021, 1:18pm; Reply: 2
Was it a goal kick or a free kick? If it was a goal kick it would be disallowed wouldn’t it unless someone touched it on the way in? In that case the GK could not claim the goal.
Posted by: Poojah, January 20, 2021, 1:22pm; Reply: 3
I seem to recall my old man telling me the story of a Town keeper scoring against a foreign team in a friendly in the 50's or 60's; can't remember much more than that though. Macca once came particularly close late on in our first League Cup game back in the league at Derby.

Incidentally, last night's goal scorer, Tom King, may be remembered as the young keeper ruthlessly trolled by Town fans in the second leg of the play-offs at Braintree. He looked genuinely flustered and made an absolute hash of coming for Marcus Marshall's deep free-kick into the box for Bogle's winner - I think it got to him. A small part in Town folklore and a reminder of the impact fans can have on games. Decent keeper though.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, January 20, 2021, 1:33pm; Reply: 4
I believe that is the very same keeper who was in goal for Braintree in our most recent promotion season. Fair play to the guy.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 20, 2021, 1:35pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
I believe that is the very same keeper who was in goal for Braintree in our most recent promotion season. Fair play to the guy.

The one who came and flapped when Bogle headed in the winner.
Posted by: ska face, January 20, 2021, 1:44pm; Reply: 6
Was also in goal for Welling here -

https://youtu.be/_WQfrPFaG8M

He’d been giving the Pontoon grief after Welling took an early lead, so got it back & then some after this free kick.
Posted by: Poojah, January 20, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from ska face

He’d been giving the Pontoon grief after Welling took an early lead, so got it back & then some after this free kick.

I was late to BP that day. Literally took my seat, and then that happened. I don't think anyone in the ground saw a shot coming, with the exception of Conor Townsend. Mercurial.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 20, 2021, 1:55pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ska face

I could watch that all day.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 20, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
;D

[tweet]1351816412004757506[/tweet]

I'd like to see him do that at BP. He might get the wind, but he's not getting a bounce like that from our quagmire of a pitch.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 20, 2021, 2:39pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Poojah
I seem to recall my old man telling me the story of a Town keeper scoring against a foreign team in a friendly in the 50's or 60's; can't remember much more than that though. Macca once came particularly close late on in our first League Cup game back in the league at Derby.

Incidentally, last night's goal scorer, Tom King, may be remembered as the young keeper ruthlessly trolled by Town fans in the second leg of the play-offs at Braintree. He looked genuinely flustered and made an absolute hash of coming for Marcus Marshall's deep free-kick into the box for Bogle's winner - I think it got to him. A small part in Town folklore and a reminder of the impact fans can have on games. Decent keeper though.

My dad took me to house of a former town keeper in the 60s and he told us a story of scoring for town with a drop kick with a real football
Posted by: cannylad68, January 20, 2021, 3:21pm; Reply: 11
I remember a foreign team, I think from Prague, playing a midweek night match, on the first occasion of floodlights at Blundell Park.

Orange programme for that match.

Malcolm White was in goal for Town, came dashing out of his goal to collect the Prague goalkeepers kick, only to see it sail over his head into the goal.

I think I getyourfactsright.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 20, 2021, 3:25pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from cannylad68
I remember a foreign team, I think from Prague, playing a midweek night match, on the first occasion of floodlights at Blundell Park.

Malcolm White was in goal for Town, came dashing out of his goal to collect the Prague goalkeepers kick, only to see it sail over his head into the goal.

Spot on. I think it was Dukla Prague. It was not an especially windy night at BP as I remember it. Just a giant drop kick. Poor old Malcolm White was a big lad but he was done by the bounce. :)

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 20, 2021, 3:37pm; Reply: 13
All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 20, 2021, 3:45pm; Reply: 14
I think Beasant did.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 20, 2021, 3:47pm; Reply: 15
Was it a goal kick or a free kick? If it was a goal kick it would be disallowed wouldn’t it unless someone touched it on the way in? In that case the GK could not claim the goal.

You can score direct from a goal kick in the oppositions goal but funnily enough you cannot score an own goal :-/

Law 16
A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team; if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal a corner kick is awarded to the opponents if the ball left the penalty area.
Posted by: Poojah, January 20, 2021, 4:06pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from cannylad68

Thanks for that, sounds like the story I was told. It's been about 28 years since it was last recounted to me, hence the sketchy and slightly incorrect details.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 20, 2021, 4:12pm; Reply: 17

Classic.

[youtube]na12OyJEgJ8[/youtube]
Posted by: DB, January 20, 2021, 4:37pm; Reply: 18

Only 339 days to!
Posted by: golfer, January 20, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Poojah

I saw it - it was a night match and i believe Malcom White was our keeper - not sure but I think it ended up  2 - 2
Posted by: golfer, January 20, 2021, 4:58pm; Reply: 20
Sorry - just seen RonRafferty's post
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 20, 2021, 5:21pm; Reply: 21
I stand corrected perhaps the story got mixed up in my mind it was nearly 60 years ago
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 20, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from arryarryarry

You can score direct from a goal kick in the oppositions goal but funnily enough you cannot score an own goal :-/

Law 16
A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team; if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal a corner kick is awarded to the opponents if the ball left the penalty area.

This is true now but not when the Town game was played. From Wiki -

In 1890, it was forbidden to score a goal directly from a goal-kick.[20] In 1997, the laws were amended to allow a goal to be scored directly from a goal-kick, but only against the opposing team.[25][34][35] The first goalkeeper to score directly from a goal kick in a professional match is said to have been Iñigo Arteaga, for Racing Ferrol against Moralo, on 2 November 1997.[36]

Posted by: BenBB, January 20, 2021, 7:08pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I could watch that all day.

Look how lovely & green that pitch looks!

Doesn't look like that now...
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), January 20, 2021, 7:13pm; Reply: 24
i thought a Spurs keeper scored  in the 60s. :-/
Posted by: malkamalka, January 20, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 25
1958 golfer?
Posted by: gobby, January 20, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 26
Cheltenham’s Jonny Rocks Stadium apparently has a pitch length of 111 yards (105 mtrs) minus 6 yards for the goal area = 105 yards ( 96 mtrs)
The world record for longest goal is Begovic with 100 yards (92 mtrs) for Stoke v Southampton 2013. So this King goal should be a new world record!
All according to Google. Sorry, lockdown anorak half hour😜😎
UTMM
Posted by: blundellpork, January 20, 2021, 9:31pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Poojah

I was late to BP that day. Literally took my seat, and then that happened. I don't think anyone in the ground saw a shot coming, with the exception of Conor Townsend. Mercurial.

I realise it’s easy to say after the event, but when I saw the goalkeepers position at the time I thought take the shot to the near post. Never thought he would actually try it mind.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 20, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 28
Sort of...

Mark oxley, a young keeper who we briefly had in loan from hull, scored for Hibs.

That's as close as I can get.....
Posted by: Tommy, January 21, 2021, 9:04am; Reply: 29
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Sort of...

Mark oxley, a young keeper who we briefly had in loan from hull, scored for Hibs.

That's as close as I can get.....

Incidentally (not sure if its been mentioned elsewhere), he was in goal for Southend against us on Saturday.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:06am