Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: DB, January 19, 2021, 9:08pm
Thankfully Southend lost. We have a massive task for the next 3 games ad 3 wins is really a must to get up the table. All 3 teams are only above us and the reality is each match is a 6 pointer. If they manage 3 wins then where in the mix of the lower half teams.

February fixtures all look toughies but who knows
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 19, 2021, 9:10pm; Reply: 1
Why not......
Posted by: lee65, January 19, 2021, 9:15pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Why not......

Because we don’t have many shots?   ;)
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 19, 2021, 9:31pm; Reply: 3
Only need 3 shots to go in
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 19, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 4

Having 3 shots, 1 per game feels on par.
Posted by: Posh Harry, January 19, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 5

A bit ambitious in the short term.

Let’s try having 3 shots first.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 19, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 6
We'll be half way up the league if we win all three. But because we're crap we won't.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2021, 9:53pm; Reply: 7
With Town nothing will surprise me. 3 wins, 3 defeats, 3 draws, any combination.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 19, 2021, 10:42pm; Reply: 8
Well our defence should hold up better given the two new signings.

Having Hanson, Morais, Scannell and Wright available is a real plus.

If we could get one new midfielder and one new striker in this week, then we have real chances against all three of our next opponents. They are eminently beatable, but only if we up our game.

With no new signings it is going to be very tough.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 20, 2021, 12:00am; Reply: 9
we need to win two on the bounce at least, that would take us out of the bottom 2. Stevemage have games in hand, and that worries me.  
Posted by: supertown, January 20, 2021, 10:03am; Reply: 10
We can live in hope
Posted by: Garth, January 20, 2021, 10:14am; Reply: 11
Quoted from supertown
We can live in hope

Hope is a beautiful village, but a tad far to travel to home games
Posted by: ginnywings, January 20, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 12
5 games ago, Mansfield were struggling and they drew 1-1 with Southend. The next game they beat Scunny 3-2 and have won the subsequent 3 games since, making it 4 in a row. It can be done.

Having said that, I would be happy with 5 points, very happy with 6 and ecstatic with 9.

This is GTFC though, so we'll probably get 2.
Posted by: Garth, January 20, 2021, 10:22am; Reply: 13
Quoted from supertown
We can live in hope

Hope is a beautiful village, but a tad far to travel to home games
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 20, 2021, 10:47am; Reply: 14
Quoted from ginnywings
5 games ago, Mansfield were struggling and they drew 1-1 with Southend. The next game they beat Scunny 3-2 and have won the subsequent 3 games since, making it 4 in a row. It can be done.

Having said that, I would be happy with 5 points, very happy with 6 and ecstatic with 9.

This is GTFC though, so we'll probably get 2.

They already had a half decent team, just a poor manager.

We had both
Posted by: ginnywings, January 20, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

They already had a half decent team, just a poor manager.

We had both

With everyone fit, I think we have a half decent team.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 20, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 16
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree, if Hanson and Scannell could stay fit we'd stand a good chance but we simply can't rely on that.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 20, 2021, 11:41am; Reply: 17

I'd take 6 points, no doubt Holloway would have targeted 8 if he had still been here.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 20, 2021, 11:48am; Reply: 18
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'd take 6 points, no doubt Holloway would have targeted 8 if he had still been here.

LOL!
Posted by: RonMariner, January 20, 2021, 11:52am; Reply: 19
7 points would be a good result for us from the next 3 games.

6 would be ok.

5 not too bad.

4 is the minimum we need.

Less than that, would be bad news. The mountain we have to climb would be that bit steeper.

Posted by: Mariner_09, January 20, 2021, 12:01pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from RonMariner
7 points would be a good result for us from the next 3 games.

6 would be ok.

5 not too bad.

4 is the minimum we need.

Less than that, would be bad news. The mountain we have to climb would be that bit steeper.

I'd say 5 is the minimum. Any fewer than that and we'll have lost ground with some really tough fixtures in February approaching fast. Beat Scunny, draw other 2. Obviously 9 would be immense but just don't lose.

Posted by: DB, January 20, 2021, 12:36pm; Reply: 21
It good to read about a bit of optimism.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 20, 2021, 1:26pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings

To be fair, we do have a few that give you that bit of hope, you're right.

Scannell
Hanson
Wright
Morais
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 20, 2021, 2:18pm; Reply: 23
I don't think Morais is a Hurst style player. He can't run back and other than crossing he doesn't offer a great deal else. If Hanson's in the team I think he'll be more effective but I think Hursty will want a more mobile and energetic option.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 20, 2021, 4:57pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mariner_09
I don't think Morais is a Hurst style player. He can't run back and other than crossing he doesn't offer a great deal else. If Hanson's in the team I think he'll be more effective but I think Hursty will want a more mobile and energetic option.

Your right he will want someone whos first job is to defend on the flank, perish any wingers are allowed to stay upfield for a chance to break.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 20, 2021, 7:29pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from supertown
We can live in hope

https://youtu.be/1yD0mjFRZ0g
Posted by: Norseman, January 20, 2021, 9:58pm; Reply: 26
Love optimism but can anyone honestly see us winning any of them. Hate to be so down but especially with the lack of transfer activity why do people think poor players will suddenly become good
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 20, 2021, 10:02pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

To be fair, we do have a few that give you that bit of hope, you're right.

Scannell
Hanson
Wright
Morais

The chance of them remaining fit for any length of time is pretty slim.

Posted by: ginnywings, January 20, 2021, 10:33pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Norseman
Love optimism but can anyone honestly see us winning any of them. Hate to be so down but especially with the lack of transfer activity why do people think poor players will suddenly become good

Because Scunny are just as bad and we beat them last time we played them. We've also beaten Barrow and drawn with Stevenage, so there is no reason we can't do it again.
Posted by: DB, January 20, 2021, 10:41pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Norseman

No point in going if you think your team will lose ( yes I know we can't at the moment).

Liverpool  "You'll never walk alone" comes to mind and it was an ex Grimsby manager who put them onto the road of success.

Every game to have to be believe we're going to win, regardless of players, otherwise you are not a supporter. Doesn't matter how they were last time out it's a new 90 minutes.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, January 21, 2021, 1:18am; Reply: 30
It's the hope that kills you.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 21, 2021, 3:37am; Reply: 31
Quoted from DB

No point in going if you think your team will lose ( yes I know we can't at the moment).

Liverpool  "You'll never walk alone" comes to mind and it was an ex Grimsby manager who put them onto the road of success.

Every game to have to be believe we're going to win, regardless of players, otherwise you are not a supporter. Doesn't matter how they were last time out it's a new 90 minutes.

God you don't half talk a load of shite.

I said as soon as Neil Woods was made a manager we would get relegated, didn't stop me going though.

Ian Holloway has left us with just about the worst squad I have seen in over 55 years and don't know where the next win will come from but it wont stop me watching.

So stop talking balderdash.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 21, 2021, 6:26am; Reply: 32
Quoted from arryarryarry

I said as soon as Neil Woods was made a manager we would get relegated, didn't stop me going though.

Ian Holloway has left us with just about the worst squad I have seen in over 55 years and don't know where the next win will come from but it wont stop me watching.

I see your point mate but I take solace in the fact that everyone else seems as bad as us. We have a very competent manager in PH and after two weeks actually had us looking like we could defend, with a full strength side I believe our first 11 isn't actually too bad and is something to work with but we are in desperate need of a striker and a central midfielder. It's the squad as a whole that is actually shocking as the options just aren't there.
Posted by: smokey111, January 21, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 33
I would snatch your hand off for 5 points. We would be unbeaten, made some ground up on one of them. That form would give us another 35 points.
Posted by: DB, January 21, 2021, 12:38pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from arryarryarry

Arry apart from your first and last sentence I agree with you. We are both positive and want success I was merely reply to what I considered to be negative comments :-

"Love optimism but can anyone honestly see us winning any of them. Hate to be so down but especially with the lack of transfer activity why do people think poor players will suddenly become good"

We live in hope and hope we thrash Scunny.
Posted by: RichMariner, January 21, 2021, 3:32pm; Reply: 35
I'm thinking back three years ago when we looked truly awful under Slade and we failed to get a new manager bounce under Jolley. I think we lost 4-0 at Coventry and I doubt anyone on this messageboard back then saw a team that could win four of its final six games to pull clear.

Granted, back then, we weren't in the relegation zone, although we were just above Chesterfield and they had three games in hand on us at one point.

Obviously the massive turning point was that late pen against them, which spurred us on to win at Swindon then at home to Notts County to confirm safety (and then we had some fun at Forest Green — JJ Hooper hat-trick, who saw THAT coming?!).

My point is, while the situation isn't exactly the same (it's probably more desperate now) you don't know what's round the corner. I also remember us losing something like six on the trot in 2006/7, losing 4-1 at Torquay on a Friday night, slipping into the bottom two and then... 6-0 win at Boston.

Even given our current form, I don't see any reason why we can't go to Scunny on Saturday and win. They're pretty awful at the minute. We beat them at home a month ago.

The more time Hurst has to get his feet under the table, and get the likes of Hanson and Scannell fit, the better. We didn't lose to Southend (which really would've been a hammer blow) so it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 2:06pm