Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, January 16, 2021, 6:33pm
Just looking at Wrexham squad today.......Pearson not included?

Don’t think he’s in favour there......do you think he could be the player that Hurst wanted.....but Wrexham won’t agree to release without a replacement.....

He’s town 100%.....and would be ideal even If just a backup.

Typical Hurst player.....
Posted by: Bigdog, January 16, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Epworth Mariner

Don’t think he’s in favour there......do you think he could be the player that Hurst wanted.....but Wrexham won’t agree to release without a replacement.....

Yep, just the kind of centre half we need, a battler, great in the air, dodgy on the deck and fairly slow. We haven't got any of those..
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 16, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 2

I never wanted him to leave. I thought he was league quality, no matter what a few others thought.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 16, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 3
Pearson was signed to help us get out of non league. He was a sub when we won the play off final, which tells you all you need to know. Great guy, but not as good as we have now.
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, January 16, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 4
I know he’s not “Van Dyke”......but he’s just the sort of character town need to boost morale......real fighter.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 16, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 5
I would hope not. This obsession with ex players is odd
Posted by: Bigdog, January 16, 2021, 6:46pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Hagrid

I'm so pleased we're not a fan run club. Our zimmer frame budget would be massive..
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 16, 2021, 6:48pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Hagrid

Very odd, is this just a Grimsby fans thing?

Loved Pearson’s attitude but he wasn’t first choice in his last two seasons with us so not going to improve us now.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 16, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 8
Pearson served a purpose and seemed a great bloke but not sure he’s anything better than what we have...
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 16, 2021, 7:12pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Hagrid

I dread to think what some of our fans are like post divorce / split / one night knee trembler on Ross Castle

Stalking the poor female, rooting around in her bins, noticing they have switched tampon brands and taking that as a signal that they are willing and able to come back into our lives
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 16, 2021, 7:20pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Hagrid

Would you take Podge and Boggle back?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 16, 2021, 7:21pm; Reply: 11
I know he’s not “Van Dyke”......but he’s just the sort of character town need to boost morale......real fighter.

I’m not sure if we would ask the 95 year old star of Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang about bringing all of our ex-players back...but if we did, he’d probably say, ‘SuperGallypíssedisbetterthanPrestonwhosatrocious‘
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 16, 2021, 7:26pm; Reply: 12
Shaun is a great guy and the kind of spirit we need but I’m not convinced he’s got the legs for it.
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, January 16, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 13
Obviously not a good post......
But still support the Mariners in the middle of Scunny fans so stop the red crosses lol
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, January 16, 2021, 7:43pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm so pleased we're not a fan run club. Our zimmer frame budget would be massive..

me too, would end up with the Ku Klux Clan as half time entertainment based on some of the views on here

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 16, 2021, 7:44pm; Reply: 15

I dread to think what some of our fans are like post divorce / split / one night knee trembler on Ross Castle

Stalking the poor female, rooting around in her bins, noticing they have switched tampon brands and taking that as a signal that they are willing and able to come back into our lives

Look, I’ve told you already. I’ve stopped doing that.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 16, 2021, 8:05pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Look, I’ve told you already. I’ve stopped doing that.

I thought we had foxes :)
Posted by: darren9, January 16, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 17
Obviously not a good post......
But still support the Mariners in the middle of Scunny fans so stop the red crosses lol

You’ve got at least one ally in epworth mate.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 16, 2021, 8:13pm; Reply: 18

It’s the first time I’ve been called a fox. Thank you.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 16, 2021, 8:14pm; Reply: 19

Nah, no foxes, just the stewards from Stevenage..
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 16, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 20
Pearson is not good enough.
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), January 16, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 21
He was immense in his last game against Plymouth
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 16, 2021, 8:40pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from 28195

He was dribbling like Cruyff, from what I remember!
Posted by: Bigdog, January 16, 2021, 8:42pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from 28195

Gregor Robertson had a cracking Play-Off Final. Maybe Hurst should put a bid in to The Times too while we're at it..
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 16, 2021, 9:49pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Heisenberg

He was dribbling like Cruyff, from what I remember!

You’ve just given me a flashback to Southport  away in 2015 when he dribbled the ball in their box and crossed it for Gowling to smash it home. 😁
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 16, 2021, 10:09pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Would you take Podge and Boggle back?

At the risk of getting crucified, I’d take Podge,Bogle and Summerfield back at present.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 17, 2021, 1:36am; Reply: 26
Let's remember PH was playing Andrew Boyce over him and he was flipping terrible, I love Shaun but his times coming to an end and the game is just getting quicker.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 17, 2021, 7:25am; Reply: 27
Quoted from MuddyWaters

At the risk of getting crucified, I’d take Podge,Bogle and Summerfield back at present.

There’s a distinct difference for me in wanting Podge, Bogle and Summerfield back...all three have shown they can do it in the football league with the right coaching.

We thought summerfield was bottom, probably because he replaced Nolan who’s arguably the best midfielder we’ve had for donkeys years.

Pearson, hard worker, decent bloke and loyal but in truth not a football league player. Remember when he got caught out on the half way line at BP and literally looked like he was running in treacle with no idea how to solve the issue? He didn’t play as often as we think in that final non league season either.

For all the waxing lyrical fans did of Pearson, when he was released or allowed to move (can’t remember which) he ended up in non league...didn’t see many FLnteams queuing up for him sadly...
Posted by: Davec, January 17, 2021, 7:38am; Reply: 28
Quoted from aldi_01

There’s a distinct difference for me in wanting Podge, Bogle and Summerfield back...all three have shown they can do it in the football league with the right coaching.

We thought summerfield was bottom, probably because he replaced Nolan who’s arguably the best midfielder we’ve had for donkeys years.

Pearson, hard worker, decent bloke and loyal but in truth not a football league player. Remember when he got caught out on the half way line at BP and literally looked like he was running in treacle with no idea how to solve the issue? He didn’t play as often as we think in that final non league season either.

For all the waxing lyrical fans did of Pearson, when he was released or allowed to move (can’t remember which) he ended up in non league...didn’t see many FLnteams queuing up for him sadly...

Russell Slade said as much at that infamous fans forum when a supporter asked why Shaun Pearson was allowed to leave and Slade remarked that Pearson has had to drop into the national League to get games.

Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 17, 2021, 7:46am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

me too, would end up with the Ku Klux Clan as half time entertainment based on some of the views on here

How true.
Posted by: Vance Warner, January 17, 2021, 8:10am; Reply: 30
For those saying he’s no better than what we’ve got we’ve got 2 proven centre backs. Considering the size of the squad that’s ridiculous. I’d have him back as a squad player and influence in the dressing room without a doubt
Posted by: toontown, January 17, 2021, 8:50am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Davec

Russell Slade said as much at that infamous fans forum when a supporter asked why Shaun Pearson was allowed to leave and Slade remarked that Pearson has had to drop into the national League to get games.

Aah the sage guidance of russel slade, who of course replaced shaun with Nathan flipping Clarke. A player who had no pace either, and compounded it by playing free kicks direct to oppo strikers to run straight on goal. What a massive downgrade on Shawn he was.

Pearson was perfectly capable of playing league 2 back then. No so sure now tho sadly.
Posted by: toontown, January 17, 2021, 9:07am; Reply: 32
In fact,for all those saying he couldn't play league football,just taken a look and he played three quarters of our league games for a side finishing higher than any other since we've been back. So he clearly could, back then. And he finished the season stronger than he started.

He was kept out of the final seasons non league team (mostly but not always) by a player who was soon in league 1 then championship, and an in form gowling. It was probably gowling who struggled most with the step up.
Posted by: Garth, January 17, 2021, 9:37am; Reply: 33
Pearson Gowling and Dis, three excellent players in the past, that's it I'm afraid the past
Posted by: Rick12, January 17, 2021, 9:41am; Reply: 34
Quoted from ginnywings
Pearson was signed to help us get out of non league. He was a sub when we won the play off final, which tells you all you need to know. Great guy, but not as good as we have now.
Yes. Mentality wise spot on. A battler. Had the raw attributes for a defender as well eg tall and headed it well but on the ground limited.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 17, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 35
Pearson?

Why don’t we get Gary Birtles, Steve Sherwood and Tony Rees back as well
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 17, 2021, 9:55am; Reply: 36
If Shaun had stayed he may have been able to adapt his game to be effective in L2 but the time he’s spent in the tier below would indicate he’s not had that challenge. There doesn’t seem much difference between the Shaun Pearson who left Town than where Luke Waterfall is now.

There is an irony here though and it strikes me that this squad and certainly yesterday’s starting 11 is so short of creativity and goals they would struggle in the National League.
Posted by: gytone, January 17, 2021, 10:16am; Reply: 37
I thought Pearson was great for us and at the time we shouldn't have released him, have we had many centre backs as good since?. Having said that I don't think we want him back now, think he's probably past his best unfortunately.
Posted by: BackHeelTony, January 17, 2021, 10:27am; Reply: 38
I'd sign him and stick him up front!
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 17, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 39
Whilst it appears a Town thing re ex players, I assure you it isn’t.

If you think about it most fans don’t have an in-depth knowledge of players that are around the lower leagues like those involved within the game do. I certainly don’t.

So when your discussing transfers and filling the space with speculation awaiting news it’s only natural to think of players that you know are good. Most fans only experience are players that have been here before and performed well.

The Bogle one for example. We are all wanting a striker that can score goals at this level. We all know one.... some might know more but most of us don’t. So it does make sense why these players get mentioned when talking about incomings.
Posted by: rancido, January 17, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from aldi_01

Slade allowed Pearson  to leave because he wanted to bring in Donkey Clarke. Pearson went to Wrexham because they offered him a deal and he could also earn money away from the club. There are quite a lot of non-league players who earn more than league players by being part-time and having other jobs. I seem to recall that when Keith Alexander came here he actually took a small drop in wages because he wanted to be a full time professional footballer under Buckley.
Posted by: Azimuth, January 17, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Bigdog

I quite liked the Justin Whittle, Rob Jones pairing at the back, any chance of us signing them?
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 17, 2021, 6:13pm; Reply: 42
Isn't he currently out injured?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 17, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Pearson?

Why don’t we get Gary Birtles, Steve Sherwood and Tony Rees back as well

And how about Bob Crosby too?

Posted by: forza ivano, January 17, 2021, 7:00pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from 123614

And how about Bob Crosby too?

wonder where that pat Glover is - he's got the sort of goalscoring record we could use right now
Posted by: DB, January 17, 2021, 7:08pm; Reply: 45
I've got a Zimmer frame if they need one
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 18, 2021, 10:40am; Reply: 46
Bloody hell, reading this thread you would think we've got a world beating defence.

Pearson had his limitations but he would walk into our back line at any point since he left.   Yeah, there are quicker and better defenders on the ball (although I actually think he was better than a lot gave him credit for with the ball at his feet), but not in our team there isn't.

I don't think our defensive priority should be a Shaun Pearson, it should be someone with a bit of pace.  Both Waterfall and Pollock are very much from the Pearson school of defending, Pollock probably a bit more of a footballer but his lack of pace exposes him badly (especially alongside the equally slow Waterfall).    But I think Pearson is exactly the type of individual Hurst would want in his dressing room.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 19, 2021, 1:41pm; Reply: 47
The answer my friend is written in the wind and its a big NO.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2021, 7:35pm; Reply: 48
I thought it was blowing in the wind.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 19, 2021, 7:40pm; Reply: 49

oh yes Russell Slade that great tactician of modern football Team wrecker
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 7:23am