Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Davec, January 15, 2021, 7:06am
Has signed a one year extension to his contract according to Radio Humberside

This was sorted out under Ian Holloway
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 15, 2021, 7:16am; Reply: 1
To be honestly, of late he's been the stronger of the 2 centre halves
Yes, he's a clogger but he's generally reliable but I do think we need an upgrade if we do get out the relegation spots and want to progress.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 15, 2021, 8:17am; Reply: 2
He’s had a dip in form but overall he’s had a decent season IMO.

I think whilst we’ve been poor defensively, there’s very little blame that belongs with him and Pollock.
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 15, 2021, 8:24am; Reply: 3
Quoted from pontoonlew
He’s had a dip in form but overall he’s had a decent season IMO.

I think whilst we’ve been poor defensively, there’s very little blame that belongs with him and Pollock.

I think that’s very generous and you could put together a decent showreel of their errors this season.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 15, 2021, 8:30am; Reply: 4
Solid League Two centre-back. It's not his fault he's not been paired with a central defensive partner who compliments his lack of pace and is better on the ball than him.

I remember when we had 4 centre backs of which 2 were comfortable on the ball (Handyside & Futcher then Smith) and 2 who were more no-nonsense defenders (Lever & Rodger).
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 15, 2021, 8:46am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Mariner93er

I think that’s very generous and you could put together a decent showreel of their errors this season.

Tbh they’ve had hardly anyone committed to the battle in front of them and no one to coach them as the previous manager (allegedly) wanted to line his pockets and not bother with the team.

Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 15, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 6
He’s a good player. He’s been woefully exposed by what is in front of him. He’ll be part of a good pairing with Pollock when Hurst sorts us shape out.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 15, 2021, 9:31am; Reply: 7
As he's signed an extension into next season, and providing we stay up..

In League Two the aim has to be to try and build a side to get promoted. Do I think we need better than Waterfall in our team to get promoted? Yes. Do I think he could be a capable back up centre half when we're short for a few games a season? Yes, Would you build a promotion chasing side around him? No
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 15, 2021, 9:39am; Reply: 8
Decent pro, but when he’s one of the best in the squad, it says more about the squad.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 15, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 9
Not sure how I feel on this one.

Agree with Bigdog that we need to be looking for better, regardless of what our aims are for next season.  Decent pro and with the right partner not someone I would grumble at having either in or around the side.  But the Luke Waterfall's of the world are quite common at this level, I can't imagine there would be a scramble of clubs trying to snap him up.  

Sorta sums the club up over the last 20 years really.  We don't tie up contracts for the likes of Amond and Vernam, but we do for someone like Waterfall.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, January 15, 2021, 10:02am; Reply: 10
Just the type of man required for a National League battle/title tilt .... like Bobby Cumming was back in 87/88  ;)
Posted by: cardiffmariner, January 15, 2021, 10:03am; Reply: 11
Agree with diehard, I think it speaks volumes about the ambition of the club and the players we try to keep. I think you’ll find most centre backs playing for the top 6 are of better quality.

Don’t doubt his commitment and he’s okay as a back up but we need better if we’re too progress.
Posted by: Croxton, January 15, 2021, 10:09am; Reply: 12
He's had a good season relatively and with Pollock and Morais, is one of few leaders. Exposed by a shocking midfield, a goalie in crisis, and an unfamiliar play out from the back tactic. You need at least one Waterfall in a L2 squad and he has earned his extension.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 15, 2021, 10:12am; Reply: 13
I don't have a strong feeling about him either way but...

As a former defender, there was nothing worse than playing in a team that couldn't keep the ball and has the defence under constant pressure. You could be a brilliant centre half but something had to give if you spent the best part of 90 minutes under pressure.

And of course, if a striker makes a mistake you don't score a goal. If a defender makes one you go a goal down.
Posted by: immariner, January 15, 2021, 10:20am; Reply: 14
Hsppy with Waterfall as one of 3 or 4 legitimate options in that position. You need to be able to change a player when their form dips and we've not had that since Ohman left.
Posted by: dicko995, January 15, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 15
hes not a bad dart player :)
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 15, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 16
If this was done under Runaway, why was we never told about it?

Not that it matters, and i'm personally happy about it.

Would be great in non-league if that happens, and good enough for league 2 for sure
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 15, 2021, 12:09pm; Reply: 17
could be better with Harberjam in the side, otherwise id have sacked off along with the rest of the rubbish
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 15, 2021, 2:50pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Solid League Two centre-back. It's not his fault he's not been paired with a central defensive partner who compliments his lack of pace and is better on the ball than him.

I remember when we had 4 centre backs of which 2 were comfortable on the ball (Handyside & Futcher then Smith) and 2 who were more no-nonsense defenders (Lever & Rodger).

Better on the ball than him? I’d say Pollock is probably worse than Waterfall on the ball, Waterfall actually uses the ball quite well even if he has made mistakes. I wouldn’t say Pollock was capable on the ball either, half the time his passes hit row Z in the stand, which is why I think Hewitt would be an ideal centre half partner for either of them because he’s the only player we have that seems capable of the cross field diagonal and actually finding his man and not the back of the stand behind him.
Posted by: barrattstandman, January 15, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 19
I think we have been sussed out with Waterfall and Pollock. Other teams just have to put a ball over the top and if they have someone with Anyplace at all then those two are so slow in turning and we are in trouble
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 15, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 20
I don't think IH had anything to do with the extension - he must have been at Shrewsbury at the same time as PH?
Posted by: Davec, January 15, 2021, 7:21pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
I don't think IH had anything to do with the extension - he must have been at Shrewsbury at the same time as PH?

No Waterfall signed for Shrewsbury after Hurst left there
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:28pm