Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, January 14, 2021, 4:33pm
Mutual Consent.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 14, 2021, 4:34pm; Reply: 1
Hurst really is clearing the decks.

Let's hope this means he has plenty of incoming players lined up.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 14, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 2
Shame, he's a good player.

Feel he's been sold a good un' by Holloway like us all.

Fully expect him to go back down south and end up having a decent career in the game for sure
Posted by: Poojah, January 14, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 3
Shame it didn't work out. Seemed to have some potential when he first arrived, hasn't really done it since the restart. I don't think his heart's been in it for some time, so probably right for both parties.
Posted by: davmariner, January 14, 2021, 4:37pm; Reply: 4
Not really bothered tbh. Clearly wasn’t up for the fight.
Posted by: quebec38, January 14, 2021, 4:37pm; Reply: 5
I imagine there are quite a few players who have been offered the opportunity to tear up their contracts. Hopefully those who don’t fancy it will do the honest thing and go to give us a better chance of getting some players in who can improve things.

Tilley looked a decent player last season, even when asked to fill in at full back.
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 14, 2021, 4:37pm; Reply: 6
Got some ability for sure, not sure I saw much drive, graft or determination though. Definitely not a Hurst type player.
Posted by: BlackAndWhiteAndRedAllOver, January 14, 2021, 4:38pm; Reply: 7
This one looked on the cards for a little while, was clear from Hurst's interview earlier today that they'd not gotten on well together. Was half decent on his day, so think he could probably do well for himself somewhere, just wasn't to be at Town.

Still though, Hurst making these clearances hopefully means that there some good news in the form of new signings on the way
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 14, 2021, 4:39pm; Reply: 8
To be honest, he had something but reminded me of Jamie Osborne, don't think he's cut out for league football and can see him spending his career in non league down south...
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 14, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from davmariner
Not really bothered tbh. Clearly wasn’t up for the fight.

Plenty of them don't look up for the fight and I would have rather had others leave before him.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 14, 2021, 4:43pm; Reply: 10
[img]https://cdn.dribbble.com/users/1307006/screenshots/5870419/another-one-_converted__trimmed.gif[/img]

At least clearing out the detritus will release funding for the wages of new players. I wonder how much we have to play with now in the wages department.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 14, 2021, 4:43pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
To be honest, he had something but reminded me of Jamie Osborne, don't think he's cut out for league football and can see him spending his career in non league down south...

A player like Jamie Osborne would walk into a side like ours, he was far better than some of the shite playing for us now.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 14, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 12
Casualty of a change of manager, as is often the case.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 14, 2021, 4:45pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from jimgtfc
Got some ability for sure, not sure I saw much drive, graft or determination though. Definitely not a Hurst type player.

I haven't seen any of that from most of the squad.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 14, 2021, 4:46pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

A player like Jamie Osborne would walk into a side like ours, he was far better than some of the shite playing for us now.

I wasn't on about ability, it was more application I was talking about  Osborne had some class but couldn't hack league football and don't give me he couldn't settle in the area, there's plenty of lower league teams in the Midlands
I think the same of Tilley, I honestly think he's attitude isn't quite right and I suspect that is what Hurst has honed in on and released him..
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 14, 2021, 4:46pm; Reply: 15
Not been same player this season shame thought he was going to be an important player this year.. we move on as he does too
Posted by: realist, January 14, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 16
If you got rid of the whole squad and started again you would struggle to do worse
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 14, 2021, 4:49pm; Reply: 17

I wasn't on about ability, it was more application I was talking about  Osborne had some class but couldn't hack league football and don't give me he couldn't settle in the area, there's plenty of lower league teams in the Midlands
I think the same of Tilley, I honestly think he's attitude isn't quite right and I suspect that is what Hurst has honed in on and released him..

If that is the case then I expect several more to be told to urine off then as Tilley was certainly not the worst player in the squad.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 14, 2021, 4:49pm; Reply: 18
He was one of our brighter looking players before his fairly serious injury which kept him out for a couple of months. Limited gametime since. Definitely league level but his attributes perhaps more effective for a team near the top of the table rather than digging out points at the bottom.. just not what we need right now..
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 14, 2021, 4:52pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from arryarryarry

If that is the case then I expect several more to be told to urine off then as Tilley was certainly not the worst player in the squad.

Absolutely agree, that's why I said I think a few more will follow..He needs players that are going to dig deep now and let's be honest, I'd take 11 (fit) Max Wright's right now
Posted by: male private Nale, January 14, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 20
Had 2 or 3 decent games , In hindsight Holloway creaming his pants about him should have been a good indicator it would not work out.

Never had the physicality for the fight , he will probably go back to Yeovil and do okay.
Posted by: TAGG, January 14, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 21
Looked a good player at times.
Maybe wasn't that happy to be here by the sound of things.
Good luck to the lad where ever he ends up.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 14, 2021, 5:10pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from TAGG

Looked a good player at times.
Maybe wasn't that happy to be here by the sound of things.
Good luck to the lad where ever he ends up.

I agree.

I wonder how many other teams get rid of their second highest goal scorer? ;)
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 14, 2021, 5:14pm; Reply: 23

I’ve said on here the reason for Osborne not staying is not football related, more how he was treated by someone then at the club at a time when he should have been looked after. I’m not surprised in the slightest he wanted to leave. I’d have not stayed with such an employer either.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 14, 2021, 5:29pm; Reply: 24
No great loss.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 14, 2021, 6:32pm; Reply: 25
Wright, Scannell, Morais, Bennett ,Starbuck in reserve - overladen on the flanks so not really needed , and not  a Hurst type winger

Bound for a conference career methinks
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 14, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from forza ivano
Wright, Scannell, Morais, Bennett ,Starbuck in reserve - overladen on the flanks so not really needed , and not  a Hurst type winger

Bound for a conference career methinks

May well make a quick return next season then.
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 14, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 27
Think there’s a player in there somewhere, but we’re not in a position to  wait around. Suspect he’ll also be keen to move back down south, can’t be easy being in your early 20s and living the other side of the country to your family during these times.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 14, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Mariner93er
Think there’s a player in there somewhere, but we’re not in a position to  wait around. Suspect he’ll also be keen to move back down south, can’t be easy being in your early 20s and living the other side of the country to your family during these times.

I think this is the major reason. If he is not going to be in he first team squad then mooching around North East Lincs (when allowed to) is not very appealing. I was never really sure what he was signed for, Holloway went to great lengths, talking to his family and all that but the lad isn't ready for playing in a side that cannot afford passengers.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 14, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 29
Thought he was very talented. Just not a team player. At least didn’t know when to pass, but that will come with experience.
Posted by: cannylad68, January 15, 2021, 9:50am; Reply: 30
I liked the look of him.
Thought he had potential, and I think he will do well.

Should have took note of my suggestion, to get some spinach down him.
Posted by: Croxton, January 15, 2021, 9:59am; Reply: 31
If you could blend his 'good feet' and Max's tenacity you'd have a Gary Childs.
Posted by: davmariner, January 15, 2021, 10:14am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Croxton

Yeah but if my grandma had wheels she’d be a bike.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 15, 2021, 11:33am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Bigdog
He was one of our brighter looking players before his fairly serious injury which kept him out for a couple of months. Limited gametime since. Definitely league level but his attributes perhaps more effective for a team near the top of the table rather than digging out points at the bottom.. just not what we need right now..

Exactly this.

If we were flying and brimming with confidence I could see him as the type of player who your play goes through.

Never quite understood where his best position was, Holloway didn't really help that either.  

When he signed I think I expected him to be someone who went straight into the team and have an impact, especially after the billing Holloway gave him.  Maybe didn't help that when he arrived he had both Clarke and Vernam were on form in areas where he may have started games.

Ultimately we're in survival mode and we need to cut luxuries to ensure we stay up.  If getting rid of Tilley to bring in someone who serves a very specific purpose is what is needed, then so be it.  
Posted by: 137 (Guest), January 15, 2021, 11:39am; Reply: 34
Looks the type who will always score against us in the future.  :-/

Right to let him go, though, for both parties: we need battlers and that's not what his game's about.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 15, 2021, 12:35pm; Reply: 35
Due to sign for Crawley
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 15, 2021, 12:40pm; Reply: 36
Joining Hess
Posted by: Bigdog, January 15, 2021, 12:46pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Croxton

Gary Childs.. tenacity on a football pitch? Hmm.
Gary Childs.. tenacity on the pull in a nightclub? Absolutely..
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 15, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from 137
Looks the type who will always score against us in the future.  :-/

Right to let him go, though, for both parties: we need battlers and that's not what his game's about.

You could say that for the majority of our squad.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 15, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Due to sign for Crawley

Can't blame him. Must be nice to play for a team that wins games.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 15, 2021, 12:55pm; Reply: 40
Mentions Crawleys other striker being bought by Cardiff City. 13 goals in 15 league games, not surprised.

[tweet]1350022875462426625[/tweet]
[tweet]1350057855332868096[/tweet]
Posted by: RonMariner, January 15, 2021, 1:55pm; Reply: 41
Guaranteed to score against us when next we play them then.

Not thinking of Tilley in particular, but on a general note why is it that we never seem to get the best out of players?

Does our coaching staff need a major shake up? Do we even have coaching staff?
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 15, 2021, 1:57pm; Reply: 42
Back near home.
Posted by: ROKERITE, January 15, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Mentions Crawleys other striker being bought by Cardiff City. 13 goals in 15 league games, not surprised.

[tweet]1350022875462426625[/tweet]
[tweet]1350057855332868096[/tweet]

Big boots to fill. Watters is going for £1,000,000 apparently.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 15, 2021, 2:46pm; Reply: 44
They seem to have a good set-up at Crawley. Stable mid-table side. Usually beat us. They’ll have a handful of ex-Town players ready for the next occasion.

Soulless edge of town stadium, but then that’s probably what people said about Blundell Park in 1900.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 15, 2021, 7:28pm; Reply: 45
You watch him score against us at BP later in the season.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 15, 2021, 7:43pm; Reply: 46
Great innit, we release a contracted player and 24 hours later signs for an opposition club, did any f@cker at our club try to sell him?!!...Christ on a bike, GTFC really is too close to Billy Smarts circus, you watch, tomorrow, the team will come out, baton twirling on elephants!..
Posted by: smokey111, January 15, 2021, 7:45pm; Reply: 47
Out of interest, who was the last player we bought or sold?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 15, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 48
Great innit, we release a contracted player and 24 hours later signs for an opposition club, did any f@cker at our club try to sell him?!!...Christ on a bike, GTFC really is too close to Billy Smarts circus, you watch, tomorrow, the team will come out, baton twirling on elephants!..

Maybe it was to save money on his wages. Get him off the books quick.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 15, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Maybe it was to save money on his wages. Get him off the books quick.

I get that, but surely the Crawley interest must've been there... even £25-50k wouldn't have been out there reach...but yet again, we take the easy option and get  knack all..
Posted by: Meza, January 15, 2021, 8:41pm; Reply: 50
didn't we pay a undisclosed fee with Brighton, i seem to remember reading about it.  I could be wrong tho.
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 15, 2021, 8:52pm; Reply: 51

I get that, but surely the Crawley interest must've been there... even £25-50k wouldn't have been out there reach...but yet again, we take the easy option and get  knack all..

Who says he was worth anything? It’s a bit like Aaron Ramsey to Juventus - Arsenal thought he was a £50m player, but truth be told, Juve only signed him because he was free.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 15, 2021, 10:33pm; Reply: 52

Maybe no one was aware of their being a role at Crawley. His contract was terminated before they sold Watters. Must say it’s all very convenient for the lad though ending up back in Sussex.
Posted by: DB, January 16, 2021, 7:58am; Reply: 53
You don't know what was said between him and Hursty before the Vale game.

Was he becoming negative because of our position (which as part of the he helped create), was he starting to have a bad influence on younger players, wouldn't he do what Hursty wanted. We don't know the real answer for sure, and probably never will.

What we do know is that it was not him being a fringe/squad player because according to reports that's what he has signed up to be at Crawley. We have saved his wages which, hopefully, can be used on new blood.

The best place for any player who doesn't want to play for us is 'down the road'; one headless chicken gone thank goodness.

A win today 1 - 0

UTM
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:34am