Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 31, 2020, 9:06am
I assume you mean Joe Colbeck? He wasn't great, but we've had plenty worse since!

Neilson was class on his day, but never went far for one reason or another

Another that i liked a lot but similar to Neilson, never went on to be what many thought he could of been, was Dom Vose
Surprisingly he's only 27!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 31, 2020, 9:18am; Reply: 1
Flynn Downes

Young midfielder, first team regular at Ipswich for Hurst. Hardly played this season
Posted by: Davec, December 31, 2020, 9:27am; Reply: 2
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Flynn Downes

Young midfielder, first team regular at Ipswich for Hurst. Hardly played this season

Do you have any inside knowledge or is it just an educated guess
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), December 31, 2020, 9:32am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I assume you mean Joe Colbeck? He wasn't great, but we've had plenty worse since!

Another that i liked a lot but similar to Neilson, never went on to be what many thought he could of been, was Dom Vose

That’s the fella, he wasn’t the best but good at that time.
Posted by: Rick12, December 31, 2020, 9:34am; Reply: 4
Quoted from 28195

My favorites from the past were Scott Neilson ( flair and talent)
Yes . Quality lower league player.

Breadth of fresh air when I saw him. Of Dembele and Neilson though I think I still would go for Dembele .
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 31, 2020, 9:35am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Davec

Do you have any inside knowledge or is it just an educated guess

Uneducated guess
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2020, 9:35am; Reply: 6
It's hard to get good players to clubs in Jan. Anyone decent won't be allowed to leave their clubs and we can't pay a fee for anyone.

Think there will be a few loan signings to begin with and possibly a non contract player or two.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, December 31, 2020, 9:38am; Reply: 7
Since rumours are Padraig Amond has put in a transfer request at Newport, then I’m hoping we get Amond first.

Is Nolan a regular anywhere ?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Since rumours are Padraig Amond has put in a transfer request at Newport, then I’m hoping we get Amond first.

You obviously know more about finance than football.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 31, 2020, 9:44am; Reply: 9
Hurst being Hurst I'd expect anyone incoming will be pretty much unknow but will have a strong work ethic, be not too far off match fit and then we'll see.

Despite the market and the lower league game to a degree being all over the place good players are already playing and not looking for moves so you have to be selective on who you bring in.

It's fair to say that the "new" manager historically has got more right than wrong so I'd be confident he'll improve the quality of the squad.  
Posted by: Sigone, December 31, 2020, 9:49am; Reply: 10
A guess at Nsiala, we lack pace at the back..if Ipswich would let him go.  pretty sure it will be someone that P.H knows very well.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 31, 2020, 9:58am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Sigone
A guess at Nsiala, we lack pace at the back..if Ipswich would let him go.  pretty sure it will be someone that P.H knows very well.

Yes, Nolan would add creativity we simply don't have. Nsiala pace at centre back we desperately need. Both should have better options in all honesty, and both should be out of our pay range for permanent transfers at least. But I do expect Hurst to try and get both in. They would both go straight into the first eleven and improve us massively. Both players are 28 now and in their prime and would be top signings IMO. Nolan in particular wasn't here long but he was magnificent, ability, creativity, goals and workrate. He was a huge reason we won promotion.
Posted by: Rick12, December 31, 2020, 10:09am; Reply: 12
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Yes, Nolan would add creativity we simply don't have. Nsiala pace at centre back we desperately need. Both should have better options in all honesty, and both should be out of our pay range for permanent transfers at least. But I do expect Hurst to try and get both in. They would both go straight into the first eleven and improve us massively. Both players are 28 now and in their prime and would be top signings IMO. Nolan in particular wasn't here long but he was magnificent, ability, creativity, goals and workrate. He was a huge reason we won promotion.
Both have done well relatively speaking in their careers . Its going to be tough to get them to play for Grimsby eg lower wage cuts and quality of football given both have tasted time in the championship. Similar to Omar Bogle.
Posted by: Davec, December 31, 2020, 10:14am; Reply: 13
Janoi Donachien anybody? Centre back who got promoted with Accrington Stanley and Hurst signed him for Ipswich, can't get a game this season.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 31, 2020, 10:17am; Reply: 14
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Flynn Downes

My Ipswich mate just sent me this when I asked :

Hopefully not mate he plays in our first team he is injured at the minute I can give you a list of all hurts excrement signings he can have back
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 31, 2020, 10:19am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Rick12
Both have done well relatively speaking in their careers . Its going to be tough to get them to play for Grimsby eg lower wage cuts and quality of football given both have tasted time in the championship. Similar to Omar Bogle.

Agreed. But looking at their stats this season, both seem out of favour. They've followed Hurst twice already, if they're loan moves then they wouldn't have to agree to a pay cut as surely they would for a permanent transfer. And they'd be in the shop window and playing games. Like I said though, they should have better options.
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, December 31, 2020, 10:21am; Reply: 16
Unlikely Nsiala would come back, didn’t have the best of relationship with the fans, Nolan would be great but don’t think he’d want to drop down a league. Hurst has found a few gems in the past hopefully he can do it again.
UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2020, 10:25am; Reply: 17
Players will drop a league if they get regular football; especially if their parent club are paying their wages.
Posted by: forza ivano, December 31, 2020, 10:28am; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings
It's hard to get good players to clubs in Jan. Anyone decent won't be allowed to leave their clubs and we can't pay a fee for anyone.

Think there will be a few loan signings to begin with and possibly a non contract player or two.

Billy Clark says you're wrong! ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, December 31, 2020, 10:34am; Reply: 19
Quoted from ginnywings

ps to those who've mentioned Nolan and Nsiala, 2 minutes on the internet would've told you that you're being abit unrealistic.

both have been pretty regular in the team, but both have suffered recent injuries nsiala's hamstring went a month ago and Nolan has had a calf strain
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2020, 10:34am; Reply: 20
Quoted from forza ivano

Yeah, fair comment. Let's hope there is a similar player or 5 on the Hurst radar looking for game time or a move oop north.
Posted by: cannylad68, December 31, 2020, 11:56am; Reply: 21
First thing they can do, is to put Battersby in goal tomorrow, if Macca is unavailable.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, December 31, 2020, 12:01pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Vose is sliding down the Leagues. Recently at Margate in the Isthmian Prem but never got a game for them. Lots of ability but never used it.
Posted by: Stew0_0, December 31, 2020, 12:13pm; Reply: 23
If you look at every striker signing Hurst made in the conference they are all better than the current strikers in this town team. So think a striker(s) signing should be first.

Think a John Lewis, Pittman, Hannah, Bogle or Amond-esque signing is a must
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, December 31, 2020, 12:29pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Welwynmariner

Vose is sliding down the Leagues. Recently at Margate in the Isthmian Prem but never got a game for them. Lots of ability but never used it.

Very disappointing how he's turned out, but his best game for us IMO was away at Luton. Played really well and set up a fantastic pinpoint cross for Omar to nod in a minute or so near the end.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, December 31, 2020, 12:32pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Welwynmariner

Really sorry to hear that. He always seemed to have more time on the ball than most players which is a sign of real ability. Unfortunately his mental strength probably let him down in the end.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 31, 2020, 12:39pm; Reply: 26

Loose Women most lunchtimes.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 31, 2020, 12:43pm; Reply: 27
Hurst would probably love to sign LJL from Hereford but although he’s only 31 he’s struggled with injuries before and since he left Town. He would be another Hanson..
Posted by: cannylad68, December 31, 2020, 1:02pm; Reply: 28
Beautiful song by Dusty Springfield.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, December 31, 2020, 1:03pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Stew0_0
If you look at every striker signing Hurst made in the conference they are all better than the current strikers in this town team. So think a striker(s) signing should be first.

Think a John Lewis, Pittman, Hannah, Bogle or Amond-esque signing is a must

Hanson is better than at least 3 on that list, Lewis was for the main part excrement, Hannah couldnt stay onside, and Pittman couldnt really finish
Posted by: davmariner, December 31, 2020, 1:07pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Hanson is better than at least 3 on that list, Lewis was for the main part excrement, Hannah couldnt stay onside, and Pittman couldnt really finish

He can never flipping play so I’m not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 31, 2020, 1:08pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from cannylad68
Beautiful song by Dusty Springfield.

Well spotted. ;D I left out all the details just to see if someone would recognise it. One of Rusty Springboard’s best.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 31, 2020, 1:18pm; Reply: 32
Junior Brown. Experience left back. Free agent.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 31, 2020, 1:19pm; Reply: 33

LJL, 100% was never excrement.

A club always ends up with a scapegoat, and at that time it was him...

He scored 20+ in one season and ended up with a 1 in 3 record for us.... i give an arm and leg for that right now
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 31, 2020, 1:20pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Junior Brown. Experience left back. Free agent.

He resigned for Scunny didn't he?
Posted by: oochiad, December 31, 2020, 1:22pm; Reply: 35
Yeah loved LJL, never understood why people didn’t like him. Great hold up play and 20 goals.......how I wish we had someone like him now.....UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 31, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from oochiad
Yeah loved LJL, never understood why people didn’t like him. Great hold up play and 20 goals.......how I wish we had someone like him now.....UTM

Same.... usually did o.k. from the spot and cleverly like his cinematic cameo didn't take things as serious as his detractors did at the time.  
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 31, 2020, 1:25pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

LJL, 100% was never excrement.

A club always ends up with a scapegoat, and at that time it was him...

He scored 20+ in one season and ended up with a 1 in 3 record for us.... i give an arm and leg for that right now

He’s the sort of player that gets you on the front foot, wins things he’s not entitled to and stops the ball coming straight back. I don’t think we will get him back although i note he’s scoring every week for Hereford at the minute.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 31, 2020, 1:29pm; Reply: 38
The Shop was quality for holding it up, chasing lost causes and forcing defensive errors, and although he would miss a few always got into positions to at least have a go even if his finishing could be wayward. Playing like he did that last season we would fly up this league, but now back in non league and an injury history so not sure he would be the player he was,
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 31, 2020, 1:31pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

He resigned for Scunny didn't he?

Someone needs to update his Wikipedia page then. Don’t they have internet in sCunthorpe?
Posted by: aldi_01, December 31, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 40
People might say Hanson is good or has had a good scoring record but in reality he’s been average for us...and simply doesn’t play enough.

Waste of a wage...
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 31, 2020, 1:40pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from aldi_01
People might say Hanson is good or has had a good scoring record but in reality he’s been average for us...and simply doesn’t play enough.

Waste of a wage...

Hopefully the days of signing good players but 5 years too late are coming to an end.

If that is indeed true, Hurst will be excited to take the reins. Imagine that - signing a player who is proven and sought after!
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Someone needs to update his Wikipedia page then. Don’t they have internet in sCunthorpe?

Was in Telewag. Signed in October. Remember thinking it was a good signing at the time.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 31, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from aldi_01

Waste of a wage...

I've never been a fan of paying players off and was optimistic that Hanson might get fit and come back to make a difference but now I think we should seriously consider offering him a settlement. It's not is fault and despite some peoples opinion about him being lazy I don't agree when fit he's handful but I can't see how much use he'll be to us n the fight to move away from the drop zone.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 31, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from ginnywings

Was in Telewag. Signed in October. Remember thinking it was a good signing at the time.

Failing to extend his loan or sign him permanently led to Hurst falling out with Swann at Scunthorpe didn’t it?
Posted by: forza ivano, December 31, 2020, 2:18pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Failing to extend his loan or sign him permanently led to Hurst falling out with Swann at Scunthorpe didn’t it?

interesting, as he'd played regularly for hurst at Shrews.Hasn't played a game for 11 months tho, so surely wouldn't be fit enough to come straight in?
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 31, 2020, 2:26pm; Reply: 46

Where's FFS when you need him?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2020, 2:37pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Dunno! Remember something about him going there, so had a quick search and he's in the paper as signing in Oct until the end of the season for Scunny. Didn't look any further but you could be correct. If so, would be a good shout for us.
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, December 31, 2020, 3:42pm; Reply: 48
The shop is injured .......hamstring apparently and will be out for a few weeks...
Sounds familiar ....he got injured when we were after him before!
Posted by: male private Nale, December 31, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 49
Jesus wept , people rallying for the likes of Toto and Nolan are what makes me cringe about this website, it is one thing to get your manager who won us promotion back into fold after a steep fall from grace in his last two appointments. It is totally unrealistic to even mention the likes of those two who are playing regularly when fit in a half decent team going for promotion in the league above. These two went for millions a couple of seasons back and will be on £300-500K a year.

We would be more likely to re sign Sean Pearson than either of those, he will be looking to find the next Toto or Nolan not the current ones.
Posted by: buckstown, December 31, 2020, 4:30pm; Reply: 50
I liked the shop for his overall contribution and effort but he could be poor in front of goal. When I moved to Newcastle in 82 they had Imre Varadi who scored 39 goals in 80 games but the crowd booed when his name was announced because he missed so many chances
Posted by: buckstown, December 31, 2020, 4:45pm; Reply: 51
Here's a thought. Shaun Pearson, still only 31 and would die for the cause. Certainly more realistic than Toto.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 31, 2020, 4:47pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from buckstown
Here's a thought. Shaun Pearson, still only 31 and would die for the cause. Certainly more realistic than Toto.

Ryan Reynolds won’t have it.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 31, 2020, 4:49pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from buckstown

Our obsession with ex-players needs to stop as, although I was sorry to see Shaun leave, I believe he is not always first choice at Wrexham. Not the quickest lad either so let’s stop raking up old players from yesteryear and hope for new names who will put in the same commitment as Shaun but of a higher standard.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Our obsession with ex-players needs to stop as, although I was sorry to see Shaun leave, I believe he is not always first choice at Wrexham. Not the quickest lad either so let’s stop raking up old players from yesteryear and hope for new names who will put in the same commitment as Shaun but of a higher standard.

We've been conditioned by years of penny pinching to accept average as good. A lot of our younger fans have never seen proper footballers. They would be gobsmacked to see a Whymark, Birtles, Futcher, Waters etc etc.
Posted by: smokey111, December 31, 2020, 4:58pm; Reply: 55

Hopefully the days of signing good players but 5 years too late are coming to an end.

If that is indeed true, Hurst will be excited to take the reins. Imagine that - signing a player who is proven and sought after!

Proven and sought after?! Such a player would a) cost a few quid b) have suitors higher up than Town

Hurst will want players he knows, trusts and has probably worked with. No time to be gambling on potential or throwing all our money at one player.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 31, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

We've been conditioned by years of penny pinching to accept average as good. A lot of our younger fans have never seen proper footballers. They would be gobsmacked to see a Whymark, Birtles, Futcher, Waters etc etc.

My eyes water just reading their names again, loved that 79-85 era with so many local lads, big attendances and great cup exploits.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 31, 2020, 5:11pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from smokey111

Proven and sought after?! Such a player would a) cost a few quid b) have suitors higher up than Town

Hurst will want players he knows, trusts and has probably worked with. No time to be gambling on potential or throwing all our money at one player.

I was looking further ahead than one month if possible. I was making the general point that we have often signed good players, but often at the tail end of their careers, but with new owners Hurst will have a much wider pool of players to choose from in the future than was possible before.

Yes players will cost a few quid more in wages than fees, but that is one of the advantages of new owners isn't it?  When I say sought after, obviously that means the standard of players we are likely to be in for.

Posted by: smokey111, December 31, 2020, 5:17pm; Reply: 58

I was looking further ahead than one month if possible. I was making the general point that we have often signed good players, but often at the tail end of their careers, but with new owners Hurst will have a much wider pool of players to choose from in the future than was possible before.

Yes players will cost a few quid more in wages than fees, but that is one of the advantages of new owners isn't it?  When I say sought after, obviously that means the standard of players we are likely to be in for.

Point taken.

I suppose we have to make signings for the immediate issue of staying in the league and then maybe in the summer look at investing in potential.

Perhaps the two aren't separate, but I just desperately want to see Hurst bring in 3/4 experienced players to help us get another 30 points.

Who knows it might be Pearson, Toto, Nolan and Podge. ;)
Posted by: gtfcmd, December 31, 2020, 6:45pm; Reply: 59
would be interesting to see which of the players might get a new contract looks like may going to be a busy month

Goalkeepers                 
Ollie Battersby     December 2018     2½ years     May 2021
James McKeown     May 2019     3 years     May 2022
Sam Russell     March 2020     3 years     May 2023

Defenders                 
Luke Hendrie     January 2019     2½ years     May 2021
Elliott Hewitt     June 2019     2 years     May 2021
Joey Hope**     July 2020     Not declared     Not declared
Duncan Idehen     July 2020     Not declared     Not declared
Mattie Pollock     February 2019     2½ years     May 2021
Danny Preston*     September 2020     9 months     May 2021
Luke Waterfall     August 2019     2 years     May 2021

Midfielders                 
Harry Clifton     June 2018     3 years     May 2021
Jock Curran**     April 2019     Not declared     Not declared
Filipe Morais     December 2020     2½ years     May 2022
Cameron Painter**     July 2020     Not declared     Not declared
Danny Rose     August 2020     2 years     May 2022
Luke Spokes     September 2020     1 year     May 2021
Joe Starbuck     July 2020     Not declared     Not declared
Terry Taylor*     September 2020     9 months     May 2021
James Tilley     January 2020     1½ years +1     May 2021
George Williams     August 2020     2 years +1     May 2022
Max Wright     July 2020     2 years     Summer 2022

Forwards                 
Kyle Bennett*     October 2020     8 months     May 2021
Montel Gibson     August 2020     3 years     May 2023
Virgil Gomis*     October 2020     8 months     May 2021
Matt Green     June 2019     2 years     May 2021
James Hanson     June 2019     2 years     May 2021
Ira Jackson Jr     August 2020     2 years +1      May 2022
Sean Scannell     September 2020     2 years     May 2022
Alhagi Touray Sisay**     August 2020     1 year     May 2021
Posted by: monkeyboy, December 31, 2020, 9:46pm; Reply: 60
I think Jackson given service will be as good as any striker in this league, certainly looks like a finisher.
He needs a shop like player to pair up with though and a midfield that can create chances.
Sorry to say we need 2 centre mids, think that’s our real weak area.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 1, 2021, 1:55am; Reply: 61
Quoted from ginnywings

Right now I'd settle for a Coldicott, Livvo,  K Black
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 1, 2021, 1:57am; Reply: 62
I know the obsession with ex players has to stop but right now we need known quantities, we can't afford to be taking gambles. One who I wouldn't be shocked to rock up would be Alex Rodman. He certainly knew how to beat a man and Hurst took him to Shrewsbury from Non league and also tried to take him to Ipswich but didn't have the funds. Isn't getting a game at Bristol Rovers at this point in time.

Posted by: fiveallive, January 1, 2021, 3:34am; Reply: 63
Alex Rodman is a good shout only been on the bench once all season unsure if he's had injury problems.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 1, 2021, 6:12am; Reply: 64
Quoted from smokey111

It is fun to guess signings, harmless fun.
Hard working centre midfielder, knows how Hurst works, proven at this level.
Is Craig Clay playing for Orient regularly?

Let's just  mention the entire Hurst squad for a laugh.

I'd certainly swap Rodman for another Bristol Rovers winger,.mentioning no names, who we already have here on loan......

Posted by: Davec, January 1, 2021, 8:21am; Reply: 65
I would take Alex Rodman, was a regular in League 1 for Shrewsbury and was a regular for Bristol Rovers, I would want to know the reasons why he has hasn't been seen this season, serious injury or just fell out of favour?

He does his defensive duties unlike Kyle Bennett and he is also effective with the ball going forward and was never afraid to take on his man, scored some decent goals also I remember.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 1, 2021, 8:28am; Reply: 66
Maybe, at 33, he isn't as mobile and dangerous as he used to be?
Posted by: buckstown, January 1, 2021, 9:51am; Reply: 67
Remember PH said you have to keep in touch, just because he was a good player two years ago.......
Pity old runaway didn't use that principle but maybe that's why his phone was burning. Hundreds of washed up to$$ers thinking that old fart will give me a contract!!
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 1, 2021, 12:11pm; Reply: 68

"FIVE PLAYERS PAUL HURST COULD SIGN FOR GRIMSBY TOWN".....

https://the72.co.uk/211792/five-players-paul-hurst-could-sign-for-grimsby-town/
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 1, 2021, 12:26pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from promotion plaice

They would improve our squad if fit.

Maybe a couple will come most managers like to sign players they have had before.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 1, 2021, 12:26pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from promotion plaice

Some interesting names there. Junior Brown, who I thought was signed by Scunny but appears to be a free agent still, would be a good signing.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 1, 2021, 12:33pm; Reply: 71
Olly Lancashire don't want any of 'that team' back thanks

Stefan Payne liked him not sure what he's like now tho
Posted by: immariner, January 1, 2021, 12:58pm; Reply: 72
I'd be more than happy if we signed Junior Brown, Stefan Payne and one of Butler, Lancashire or Bolton (no chance). Would be a great start anyway.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 1, 2021, 1:08pm; Reply: 73
all 5 would be great, hopefully here on Monday to sign, no time to lose, our window is effectively 1 week
Posted by: immariner, January 1, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 74
all 5 would be great, hopefully here on Monday to sign, no time to lose, our window is effectively 1 week

Nah. We don't need 3 players that can play CB, Bolton is primarily a RB though.
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 1, 2021, 2:02pm; Reply: 75
Think we'll see signings through the door pretty quickly. A potentially season defining run of games begins on the 16th with Southend, followed by Scunny, Barrow and Stevenage, and we could do with more players before then.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 1, 2021, 3:22pm; Reply: 76
Alex rodman has been ill all season and stefan payne has a long term groin injury  so you can cross them 2 off the list
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-rovers-injury-report-latest-4677207
Posted by: Incognito, January 1, 2021, 3:26pm; Reply: 77
Neither will Junior Brown having signed for Scunny in October. https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2020/october/junior-brown-signs-for-the-iron/
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 1, 2021, 3:26pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from forza ivano
Alex rodman has been ill all season and stefan payne has a long term groin injury  so you can cross them 2 off the list
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-rovers-injury-report-latest-4677207

That's from the start of November, he's made an appearance from the bench since then.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 1, 2021, 3:32pm; Reply: 79
I think he might look to bring a couple of players in who have worked for him in the past. A couple of yes men as it were to get others on side.

I feel his January recruitment will be a lot more tried and tested than his summer recruitment will be.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 1, 2021, 3:33pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from ginnywings

Wouldn't it be nice to think we can bring in that quality? Very few players step down to finish the careers as they earn so much money at the higher levels these days which is another really sad thing about the lunacy of footballers wages. The good players & pros that dropped down would put bums on seats and have a great influence on their team mates, I can't remember his exact words but Kevin Drinkell went on record as saying how good he thought Whymark was in the first training session he saw him in,.  

We won't be getting the likes of Amond, Toto, Nolan back but Hurst will do his best to bring in a mix of experience and hopefully one or two like Townsend who showed his ability and confidence even at that age.        
Posted by: Yoda, January 1, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 81
Amond best striker below the premiership
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 1, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Yoda
Amond best striker below the premiership

He's not even the best striker at Newport anymore.
Posted by: Yoda, January 1, 2021, 3:50pm; Reply: 83
We’ve nobody near him
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 1, 2021, 3:53pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Yoda
We’ve nobody near him

You say that, but if you take his penalty goal off his total this season Mattie Pollock is only 1 league goal behind him.
Posted by: Yoda, January 1, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 85
i imagine he’s a big earner at newport if he’s on the bench they might look to off load him
He knows the club the area the manager he would come here he would be my first choice.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 1, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Yoda
i imagine he’s a big earner at newport if he’s on the bench they might look to off load him
He knows the club the area the manager he would come here he would be my first choice.

"Big earner" and "Newport" don't go in the same sentence unless accompanied by "don't have any".
Posted by: forza ivano, January 3, 2021, 11:57am; Reply: 87
This guy was mentioned by Andy Humberstone on Twitter. Free agent and apparently has previously been a Hurst target

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armand_Gnanduillet
Posted by: Davec, January 3, 2021, 12:08pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from forza ivano
This guy was mentioned by Andy Humberstone on Twitter. Free agent and apparently has previously been a Hurst target

I do remember him being linked when we were in the national League.

He did well at Blackpool so I would take him

Who is Andy Humberstone anyway.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 3, 2021, 12:10pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from forza ivano

Remember him from Blackpool a real good player.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 3, 2021, 12:14pm; Reply: 90
Think he will be heading back top end of 1st division or maybe even Championship.. good player
Posted by: Meza, January 3, 2021, 1:56pm; Reply: 91
Championship and LG 1 clubs are after him apparently after his last spell abroad.
Posted by: Marinerdan, January 3, 2021, 2:35pm; Reply: 92
Offrande Zanzala has just been released by Crewe.

24 year old, 6’1 played 50 ish games for Accrington in League 1 and he has played 10 games this season so should be reasonably fit and ready to go.

Posted by: Tinymariner, January 3, 2021, 2:37pm; Reply: 93
Remember last time Hurst was our manager? How many times did we guess the right signing, and how many times did he surprise us?
Keep guessing though, it’s still amusing.
Posted by: Poojah, January 3, 2021, 2:50pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Tinymariner
Remember last time Hurst was our manager? How many times did we guess the right signing, and how many times did he surprise us?
Keep guessing though, it’s still amusing.

This is true, although by the end of his last stint there was a 42.3% chance that any given singing would have played for York City in recent times. Hopefully he’s moved on from that strategy now.

Incidentally, I had Scott Kerr round my house the other day. True story.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 3, 2021, 3:07pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Poojah

This is true, although by the end of his last stint there was a 42.3% chance that any given singing would have played for York City in recent times. Hopefully he’s moved on from that strategy now.

Incidentally, I had Scott Kerr round my house the other day. True story.

Nice lad Scott!
Posted by: Mallyner, January 3, 2021, 3:14pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from forza ivano

I have seen quite a few highlights of goals he scored for Blackpool and he looked to be a big but mobile player with a great eye for a goal. I did look to see where he was a few weeks ago and at the time I think he was playing in Turkey having signed a one year contract in August. Which I see was true.  :)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 3, 2021, 4:15pm; Reply: 97
Players he signed for Shrewsbury and Ipswich. Olly Lancashire's contract was terminated while Hurst was at Shrewsbury,

Abo Eisa is at Scunthorpe, can't see them transfering any player over to us unless some sort of swap, but who knows.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/VtzFwwt.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/62A5o42.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Xhtf4y8.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Davec, January 3, 2021, 4:25pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Players he signed for Shrewsbury and Ipswich. Olly Lancashire's contract was terminated while Hurst was at Shrewsbury.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/VtzFwwt.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/62A5o42.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/uFgUBSg.jpg[/img]

I thought Janoi Donachien was signed by Hurst at Ipswich?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 3, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Davec
Yep you are right, Soccerbase date error. They usually correct stuff, sent an email to racingpost.com to amend it.
Posted by: immariner, January 3, 2021, 4:51pm; Reply: 100
Google Gnanduillet and apparently Rotherham are in for him.

Could imagine us going for someone like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offrande_Zanzala

14 goals in 27 starts (33 sub appearances) for Accrington in League 1. Didn't really get a chance at Crewe it seems. 6'1" so you'd think more of a physical presence than Gibson or Jackson can offer.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 3, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from immariner

Could imagine us going for someone like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offrande_Zanzala

14 goals in 27 starts (33 sub appearances) for Accrington in League 1. Didn't really get a chance at Crewe it seems. 6'1" so you'd think more of a physical presence than Gibson or Jackson can offer.

The new owners will need to be prepared to pay a fee for the right striker. No sick notes please...

Posted by: Poojah, January 3, 2021, 5:19pm; Reply: 102
Danny Rowe, a 28 year old winger was at Ipswich when Hurst arrived and is currently a free agent. Probably some question marks over his current fitness level but a lack of game time hasn’t prevented Morais hitting the ground running.

Merely joining the connections and potential availability. I’m expecting the first signing will be someone no one has thought of.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 3, 2021, 5:20pm; Reply: 103
Didn’t appreciate that Hurst had signed Luke Hendrie whilst at Shrewsbury completely passed me by.
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 3, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 104
Think one things clear one or two of the in comings will be players Hurst has worked with before. He’s done that at every club he’s been at.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 3, 2021, 6:35pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from Poojah
.....but a lack of game time hasn’t prevented Morais hitting the ground running

He kept himself fit because he had to, as he runs his own football Academy, M Pro Football Academy, alongside other current and ex-professional footballers. This is the bumf on it.

About Us

M Professional football academy offers high level football coaching from current and ex professional football players themselves, and/or top qualified UEFA A licenced coaches. In addition to this M Academy players will have the opportunity to impress our expert team of coaches throughout the season, to which if good enough they will be selected to go on trial at professional football clubs. Our head coach Filipe Morais and our special team of coaches have close connections at most if not all professional football clubs throughout the country from the Premier League down to League 2, and even abroad. In particular close relationships with Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Leeds United, Bradford City, and Bolton Wanderers. Offering M Academy players a clear and real pathway to professional football clubs.

Our head coach Filipe Morais graduated through the world renowned Chelsea FC academy, gaining first hand experience of the standards that are required to improve as a young player at the highest level. At M Professional Football Academy we mirror exactly that experience our head coach went through at Chelsea FC. Every session will be conducted in the same manner and be sharp, dynamic and diligently put together. With a conscious effort to improve M academy players weekly both as players, and as young people. We only ask back from our young players full respect and 100% commitment at every session. Our vision for the academy is to give young boys and girls of every ability the opportunity to receive high level coaching and subsequently the chance to be directly scouted to go to pro clubs in the process.

I wonder if he has any shithot 17 and 18 year olds looking for a club? Could be a sneaky little way to bolster our ranks.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 3, 2021, 6:38pm; Reply: 106
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-Jay_Leitch-Smith

here's a possibility. desribed as a clever forward he played for PH at Shrews and currently isnt getting a game at morecambe

and another , midfielder this time
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ogogo   was regular for Hurst in 17-18, currently on loan at Dagenham
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 3, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 107
How about :

Aaron nemane

Or

Alex pattison

Just saying as they are random players I found on wiki
Posted by: ginnywings, January 3, 2021, 7:13pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Poojah
Danny Rowe, a 28 year old winger was at Ipswich when Hurst arrived and is currently a free agent. Probably some question marks over his current fitness level but a lack of game time hasn’t prevented Morais hitting the ground running.

Merely joining the connections and potential availability. I’m expecting the first signing will be someone no one has thought of.

Good shout. Played for Lincoln when they won League 2.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 3, 2021, 7:45pm; Reply: 109

He kept himself fit because he had to, as he runs his own football Academy, M Pro Football Academy, alongside other current and ex-professional footballers. This is the bumf on it.

About Us

M Professional football academy offers high level football coaching from current and ex professional football players themselves, and/or top qualified UEFA A licenced coaches. In addition to this M Academy players will have the opportunity to impress our expert team of coaches throughout the season, to which if good enough they will be selected to go on trial at professional football clubs. Our head coach Filipe Morais and our special team of coaches have close connections at most if not all professional football clubs throughout the country from the Premier League down to League 2, and even abroad. In particular close relationships with Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Leeds United, Bradford City, and Bolton Wanderers. Offering M Academy players a clear and real pathway to professional football clubs.

Our head coach Filipe Morais graduated through the world renowned Chelsea FC academy, gaining first hand experience of the standards that are required to improve as a young player at the highest level. At M Professional Football Academy we mirror exactly that experience our head coach went through at Chelsea FC. Every session will be conducted in the same manner and be sharp, dynamic and diligently put together. With a conscious effort to improve M academy players weekly both as players, and as young people. We only ask back from our young players full respect and 100% commitment at every session. Our vision for the academy is to give young boys and girls of every ability the opportunity to receive high level coaching and subsequently the chance to be directly scouted to go to pro clubs in the process.

I wonder if he has any shithot 17 and 18 year olds looking for a club? Could be a sneaky little way to bolster our ranks.

I think this underlines Fil’s value on and off the pitch to us at the moment. I had concerns about his fitness but I think he lasted well yesterday in a team where so many players don’t appear to want the ball and keep it his patience when it’s at his feet is refreshing and great to see. I do hope he sees the season out with us and builds on his start.
Posted by: Meza, January 3, 2021, 8:00pm; Reply: 110
What about Dominic Poleon i think is a free agent.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 3, 2021, 8:07pm; Reply: 111
Who was that keeper he had at Shrewsbury? Always looked decent.
Posted by: Mallyner, January 4, 2021, 9:04am; Reply: 112
Quoted from immariner

Rotherham might be Gnanduillet's pet name for Paul Hurst.  ;)

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 4, 2021, 9:14am; Reply: 113
Omar Beccles played for Hurst at Shrewsbury and joined Crewe in the summer but I note has only played 7 times although I have no idea if this is due to injury. If not believe he can play left back and central defence so worth a look but as I said there be reasons he’s not playing much.
Posted by: Davec, January 4, 2021, 9:32am; Reply: 114
Omar Beccles played for Hurst at Shrewsbury and joined Crewe in the summer but I note has only played 7 times although I have no idea if this is due to injury. If not believe he can play left back and central defence so worth a look but as I said there be reasons he’s not playing much.

Omar Beckles has started 17 games this season!
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 4, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 115
Hurst has spoken how he's kept himself active by going to games all the time.  I doubt he's only watching players he's worked with before.

But if we're going to go with players who Hurst signed previously, can we have Conor Townsend back please?
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 4, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 116
Sam Jones might be interested lol. what a waste he was
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 4, 2021, 12:56pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from Davec

Omar Beckles has started 17 games this season!

Omar Beckles sounds like a character from Monty Python or The Goon Show...
Posted by: RonMariner, January 4, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 118
Hurst mentioned that he had been watching games on what he called 'scouting platforms' and compiling lists.

He has now seen at least 5 of our games (2 of them live) and so much now have a pretty reasonably grasp of what we have and what we need.

So he may already be lining up some new signings. Be great if he could get a couple this week.
Posted by: livosnose, January 4, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 119
Krystian Pierce ex Mansfield CB released by Solihull
. Could be worth a look /punt
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 5, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 120
Quoted from RonMariner
Hurst mentioned that he had been watching games on what he called 'scouting platforms' and compiling lists.

Sounds more like he's been playing 'Football Manager' to me.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 5, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 121
Quoted from Son of Cod

Sounds more like he's been playing 'Football Manager' to me.

Don’t they all?

Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 5, 2021, 11:16am; Reply: 122
should have had players in by now, hopefully we have new players by the end of the week.

Surprised given our perilous state that he hasnt acted as yet.
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, January 5, 2021, 11:19am; Reply: 123
Let’s hope he’s not as indecisive as your namesake  
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, January 5, 2021, 11:27am; Reply: 124
Noticed Bogle getting a lot of stick at Charlton, wonder if Hurst’s kept in touch
https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/national-league-player-at-best-get-rid-many-charlton-fans-fume-at-one-man-following-hull-defeat/
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 5, 2021, 11:32am; Reply: 125
Quoted from livosnose
Krystian Pierce ex Mansfield CB released by Solihull
. Could be worth a look /punt

Yep, just what we need...a player who can't get a game in the National League.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 5, 2021, 11:42am; Reply: 126

Yep, just what we need...a player who can't get a game in the National League.

Good job Holloway(scum) is not here then
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 5, 2021, 12:08pm; Reply: 127
should have had players in by now, hopefully we have new players by the end of the week.

This season could collapse at any second and we could potentially have even more players on our books. I think we will (and should) see a multitude of players going out before anyone comes in.

Unless it’s a decent centre forward of course!
Posted by: dicko995, January 5, 2021, 12:09pm; Reply: 128
I see Newport have put a bid in for attacker Scott Twine of Swindon, that would push Paddy down the pecking list, i,d have him back in a heartbeat.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 5, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 129
Forgive me if this has been mentioned by Day or Hurst already but I don't recall seeing or reading about it... Are the club pressing on with Covid clauses in contracts still or have they realised this severly impacts on the type of players we can attract and ultimately sign?
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 5, 2021, 12:32pm; Reply: 130
We know we missed out on Theo Robinson due to the Covid clause but I think we need to take a calculated risk with that now. The risk of falling out of the league massively outweighs any potential benefit to a Covid clause. Another shut down is possible but unlikely, with the current squad relegation is likely. We can't afford to haggle, just got to sign the best players possible, no holds barred.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 5, 2021, 12:40pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from Mariner_09
We know we missed out on Theo Robinson due to the Covid clause but I think we need to take a calculated risk with that now. The risk of falling out of the league massively outweighs any potential benefit to a Covid clause. Another shut down is possible but unlikely, with the current squad relegation is likely. We can't afford to haggle, just got to sign the best players possible, no holds barred.

Just looking at your 'best XI' in your signature...

3 of those players would have maybe got a game in the best team I've seen (I saw them first in the mid 70s and was a season ticket holder during the Buckley years), the rest wouldn't have got near it and probably wouldn't have been signed by the club.

I'm not being a smartarse, it makes me sad that this is what we've become.
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 5, 2021, 12:46pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Forgive me if this has been mentioned by Day or Hurst already but I don't recall seeing or reading about it... Are the club pressing on with Covid clauses in contracts still or have they realised this severly impacts on the type of players we can attract and ultimately sign?

Day has said in an interview with Radio Humberside a few weeks ago that we won’t be inserting a covid clause.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, January 5, 2021, 1:21pm; Reply: 133
I'm not a fan of signing ex players as usually doesn't work out for us 2nd time round.. Jamie Devitt a example. Don't think Podge would be the answer up front for us as we need someone who will hold it up and bring others into play. I think that PH will bring in a LJL type of striker or in the mould. Think we need another LB, just for depth plus I think Preston is the worst I've seen since Lee Ridley. Another experienced CM with the legs and energywould do us the world of good in grabbing hold of games.
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 5, 2021, 1:48pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from GtfcGarner
I'm not a fan of signing ex players as usually doesn't work out for us 2nd time round.. Jamie Devitt a example. Don't think Podge would be the answer up front for us as we need someone who will hold it up and bring others into play. I think that PH will bring in a LJL type of striker or in the mould. Think we need another LB, just for depth plus I think Preston is the worst I've seen since Lee Ridley. Another experienced CM with the legs and energywould do us the world of good in grabbing hold of games.

As a sole striker, Podge is not the answer, as part of a 442, I think he would be a good addition, I would go as far to say, if we signed him now, he would be top scorer at the end of season...no brainer :)
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 5, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 135

you are the helmet who keeps giving..... yes he's done nothing as you say.......
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 5, 2021, 2:03pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from dicko995
I see Newport have put a bid in for attacker Scott Twine of Swindon, that would push Paddy down the pecking list, i,d have him back in a heartbeat.

Twine has been at Newport on loan - he scored against us and has just been recalled.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 5, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 137
Newport just signed Owen Windsor on loan.

Looked ok in his first couple of games then nothing, not sure how that works for Podge
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 5, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 138
I see Stevenage have signed three players. Looks like they paid a fee for two of them.
Worrying
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 5, 2021, 2:41pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Needs 9 in my opinion. 3,3,3 in top middle and bottom...

Keep Macca, And Morais......the rest can be sacked off
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 5, 2021, 2:41pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I see Stevenage have signed three players. Looks like they paid a fee for two of them.
Worrying

Stevens has scored 6 in 39 for FGR, imagine if we had signed him...
Lines is 35 and only played 4 times for Northampton this season...
Norris is a decent signing on paper
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 5, 2021, 2:44pm; Reply: 141
I believe it was Holloway who wanted the Covid clause in the contracts and he also insisted that all players must pass his own fitness test!
Posted by: BenBB, January 5, 2021, 2:49pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from Tinymariner
I believe it was Holloway who wanted the Covid clause in the contracts and he also insisted that all players must pass his own fitness test!

Pretty sure I could pass Ollies fitness test and I get knackered carrying up some shopping bags up three flights of stairs.

Yes I’m in IT 😂
Posted by: jaf243, January 5, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 143
Would be pretty surprised with the incomings at  Newport if Hurst doesn't explore that avenue.
Knows the player, and what he needs around him. Podge would probably be more likely to consider coming back now with the incomings, his age and the prospect of new owners - not to mention working with Hurst again.
Yes, he's not a player that runs through defences or holds the ball up - he wont create goals out of thin air.
BUT his  positional play and finishing are something we haven't had since, and not overly common.
He had that knack of being in the right place at the right time, always ready to pounce.
Give him service, he will score. Head and shoulders above any strikers we have now or really have had since.

To be honest, Wes Thomas is probably the best we've had since (excluding Vernham who was more of a wide player.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 5, 2021, 3:19pm; Reply: 144
Almond is an interesting one, hasnt scored as prolifically at league level as he did with us in the conference.

That aside, if we are to get a striker to get say 6-8 league goals between now and end of season, I think he would get them, anyone expecting anymore, or for a return similar to his last season with us, is quite frankly living in cloud cuckoo land.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 5, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 145
Amond is (including sub appearances) 1 in every 3.5 at Newport, about the same when he was at Hartlepool (a side relegated).

Thomas was about the same ratio when here.

Taking Bogle's hot streak out the equation, last striker to hit anywhere near that ratio (excluding any very short loan spells)?

Michael Reddy - 26 in 70.  

Before that Micky Boulding.  11 in 35 and 15 in 38.

1 in 3 for the remaining games would give us 8 goals.  We've scored 19 as a team in the first 22 games of the season.

Not one for going back for old players.  But if we get someone like Amond who can bag 1 in 3 AND bring others into play, that will be a massive improvement.
Posted by: jaf243, January 5, 2021, 3:50pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from diehardmariner
Amond is (including sub appearances) 1 in every 3.5 at Newport, about the same when he was at Hartlepool (a side relegated).

Taking Bogle's hot streak out the equation, last striker to hit anywhere near that ratio (excluding any very short loan spells)?

1 in 3 for the remaining games would give us 8 goals.  We've scored 19 as a team in the first 22 games of the season.

Not one for going back for old players.  But if we get someone like Amond who can bag 1 in 3 AND bring others into play, that will be a massive improvement.

Totally agree
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 5, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 147

Alan Connell
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 5, 2021, 4:03pm; Reply: 148

When you put it like that it's a bit scary - looking at previous goals-for totals at the bottom end of League 2 (highest recent is Hartlepool relegated with 54) we probably need a minimum of 30 goals from 24 games, where are they going to come from?
Posted by: Dan, January 5, 2021, 4:26pm; Reply: 149
Ross Hannah - 1 in 3.6
Liam Hearn - 1 in 2
Alan Connell - 1 in 1.85
Lennel John Lewis - 1 in 4
Padraig Amond - 1 in 1.3
Omar Bogle - 1 in 1.6
Matt Green - 1 in 14
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 5, 2021, 4:38pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from jaf243

Yes, he's not a player that runs through defences or holds the ball up - he wont create goals out of thin air.
BUT his  positional play and finishing are something we haven't had since, and not overly common.
He had that knack of being in the right place at the right time, always ready to pounce.

I agree with that.

I’m not saying Amond would or should return but his off-the-ball movement was the best I have seen at Town since Bradley Allen. You could tell Amond had been coached at a higher level and, although not overly creative with the ball, his movement must have created a lot of space and chances for Omar.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 5, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 151

I agree with that.

I’m not saying Amond would or should return but his off-the-ball movement was the best I have seen at Town since Bradley Allen. You could tell Amond had been coached at a higher level and, although not overly creative with the ball, his movement must have created a lot of space and chances for Omar.

The speed of thought / knowing where the ball is going to go even before it's left the last players boot or head - I guess it's the striker's version of what Futch was exceptional at...

Posted by: denni266, January 5, 2021, 8:18pm; Reply: 152
I dont expect Hurst to go all out signing players  all over the place.. we know what he is like slow steady building things up his way
Posted by: RonMariner, January 5, 2021, 8:41pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from denni266
I dont expect Hurst to go all out signing players  all over the place.. we know what he is like slow steady building things up his way

Time is against us. We have five critical games coming up against relegation rivals. Plus, there is no guarantee that the season will be completed in full. So getting sufficient points on the board in January to move us out of a possible PPG relegation scenario is crucial.

I would think we need three of four loan players coming in over then next fortnight if at all possible.
Posted by: denni266, January 5, 2021, 8:48pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from RonMariner

Time is against us. We have five critical games coming up against relegation rivals. Plus, there is no guarantee that the season will be completed in full. So getting sufficient points on the board in January to move us out of a possible PPG relegation scenario is crucial.

I would think we need three of four loan players coming in over then next fortnight if at all possible.

I agree 100% with you ,  we need good players fast, but the past does show how Hurst likes to build and settle  at his own rate and not rush players all at once
Posted by: ginnywings, January 5, 2021, 9:30pm; Reply: 155
Mansfield won tonight and are pulling away from the bottom now. We need to start a run like they are having, and it took a new manager to get them going. Hopefully, Hurst and a few new players can do the same for us.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 5, 2021, 9:34pm; Reply: 156
Triple signing for Stevenage today including Chris Lines and Luke Norris who should be decent.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 5, 2021, 10:43pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from ginnywings
Mansfield won tonight and are pulling away from the bottom now. We need to start a run like they are having, and it took a new manager to get them going. Hopefully, Hurst and a few new players can do the same for us.

that's the worrying thing for me. so many of the clubs down there are putting runs together; there's only us, vale and the scunts who are struggling

Posted by: RonMariner, January 5, 2021, 11:33pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from forza ivano

that's the worrying thing for me. so many of the clubs down there are putting runs together; there's only us, vale and the scunts who are struggling

Exactly. It's good that Hollow Waste has gone, but it's still going to take quite a turnaround if we are to pull away from the relegation zone, especially if we have to do it in a truncated season. The next five games are absolutely vital.

Posted by: Davec, January 6, 2021, 6:13am; Reply: 159
We need players in fast and we need to get a a bare minimum of 9 points from the next 5 games, ideally more than 9 actually,  God forbid if we fail to win any of them then we could find ourselves 6 or 7 points adrift.

We are in desperate need for points and signings, we can't just leave it until the back end of January to see who becomes available at the last minute
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 6, 2021, 8:07am; Reply: 160
Quoted from ginnywings

They had a decent team, just a poor manager before Clough

We had/have a excrement team, and a worse manager before Hurst
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 6, 2021, 8:49am; Reply: 161
You can talk about getting a striker in with an average ratio of 1 in 3 or 1 in 3.5 etc.
But you have to remember, that is with the club they are at now.
As has been mentioned before, we could get Messi or Ronaldo in and without the service they would struggle.
So unfortunately it’s  not as simple as that. We need several new players that need to gel in a short period of time.  That makes PH’s task even harder I’m afraid.  But I do believe that he is far better choice to achieve that than Runaway or Slade etc   Let’s hope so. UTM
Posted by: RichMariner, January 6, 2021, 9:22am; Reply: 162
Stevenage can make as many signings as they like, it doesn't mean they'll enjoy success. How many players did Holloway sign in the summer??

I'd be happy with just two or three key signings this month. I don't care if I've never heard of them before. I trust Hurst in the transfer market far more than I do Holloway.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 163
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

They had a decent team, just a poor manager before Clough

We had/have a excrement team, and a worse manager before Hurst

Aye, which is why I said Hurst and a few new players can hopefully get us going.

We are not that far off a side capable of winning games with everyone fit, properly managed and a few canny signings.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 6, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 164

Alan Connell

Sorry, should have said league.   Otherwise, Connell, Hearn, Anthony Elding and Ross Hannah all meet that criteria.
Posted by: kenlyn, January 7, 2021, 4:29pm; Reply: 165
Of all the possible forwards that played for Hurst I have not seen Andy Cook mentioned.
He currently occupies the subs bench for Mansfield but does not always get used.
Could he get the goals we need as he has not done too bad since leaving?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 7, 2021, 6:11pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from kenlyn
Of all the possible forwards that played for Hurst I have not seen Andy Cook mentioned.
He currently occupies the subs bench for Mansfield but does not always get used.

I’m not sure the repeated chants about him being a paedo (I have no idea if he is) will make it a less likely transfer.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, January 7, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from kenlyn

Wouldn't want him anywhere near us after the way he celebrated Mansfields last minute winner in front of the findus. He can go intercourse himself.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 7, 2021, 6:18pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Wouldn't want him anywhere near us after the way he celebrated Mansfields last minute winner in front of the findus. He can go intercourse himself.

Does that sort of excrement really bother you?

I enjoy a bit of the old pantomime villain business at the game myself.
Posted by: Posh Harry, January 7, 2021, 6:49pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from kenlyn

Cook has had weight issues most of his career and doesn’t work hard enough for a hurst striker.
Posted by: golfer, January 7, 2021, 8:09pm; Reply: 170
Which one ?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 7, 2021, 8:17pm; Reply: 171
Mike White is saying we're interested in taking Jake Taylor on loan from Forest. Young centre mid who was recalled from a loan with Scunny last week. Port Vale also believed to be interested.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 7, 2021, 8:37pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Mike White is saying we're interested in taking Jake Taylor on loan from Forest. Young centre mid who was recalled from a loan with Scunny last week. Port Vale also believed to be interested.

Read on Vale site they were interested but on info given in both that article, and the Scunthorpe one when he went back, the implication is that Forest want to sell him not make another loan.
Posted by: Poojah, January 7, 2021, 8:39pm; Reply: 173

Sounds like Forest want to move him on permanently, hence the recall. He was at Vale last season and was pretty prolific, scoring 7 in 25.

Hasn’t done the business at Scunny, for whatever reason.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 7, 2021, 8:43pm; Reply: 174
Sorry gents I have misread it - Mike White doesn't say we're interested in a loan so could be a potential permanent. Seen a Scunny fan saying they liked him but was poorly utilised.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 7, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 175
Signs Friday, scores against Vale Saturday.

If only.
Posted by: Youngy, January 7, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 176
[justify][/justify]
Quoted from Poojah

Sounds like Forest want to move him on permanently, hence the recall. He was at Vale last season and was pretty prolific, scoring 7 in 25.

Hasn’t done the business at Scunny, for whatever reason.

Vale fans really rate him. Looks like he would be better used in a 3 man midfield. Scunny tried to play him in a 4-4-2 and it seemingly didn't work.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 7, 2021, 10:05pm; Reply: 177
I wonder if he was going to Vale but Askey getting the bullet has stalled things. Presumably it was Askey he played on loan for at Vale?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 7, 2021, 10:13pm; Reply: 178
I wonder if he was going to Vale but Askey getting the bullet has stalled things. Presumably it was Askey he played on loan for at Vale?

His agent, Sproson/Sproston, has said ball is in Vale’s court, presumably to get a move for his client.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 7, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 179
Interesting article from Codalmighty about player recruitment.

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=7787
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 7, 2021, 10:41pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from MuddyWaters

His agent, Sproson/Sproston, has said ball is in Vale’s court, presumably to get a move for his client.

Is that the same Sproson who used to play for Vale? Might be a deciding factor if so.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 7, 2021, 10:45pm; Reply: 181

Is that the same Sproson who used to play for Vale? Might be a deciding factor if so.

yes, it was him that introduced taylor to Askey & port vale according to wiki

he's certainly got a lot to say for himself
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rival-clubs-genuine-interest-longstanding-4864453?fbclid=IwAR2LlnVCKM02c5nrK04ZAAN82MnwKAhYG9uYAPdgYLxAkr4lplQ5vG2g8Hg
Posted by: Devonmatt, January 8, 2021, 7:24am; Reply: 182
Curtis Tilt, centre half, just returned to Rotherham from Wigan, presumably because the administrators can't afford to pay him. He's fit, having played numerous times this season already.  
Rob Scott is head of recruitment at Rotherham.
Any chance Paul and he are still on good terms?  Tilt would be spot on for us?

UTM.
Posted by: Poojah, January 8, 2021, 7:35am; Reply: 183
Quoted from Devonmatt

Any chance Paul and he are still on good terms?

UTM.

Absolutely none.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 8, 2021, 8:56am; Reply: 184
Rob Scott head of recruitment 'if you dont like it don't @#cking come'
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 8, 2021, 9:21am; Reply: 185
Quoted from Devonmatt
Curtis Tilt, centre half, just returned to Rotherham from Wigan, presumably because the administrators can't afford to pay him. He's fit, having played numerous times this season already.  
Any chance Paul and he are still on good terms?  Tilt would be spot on for us?

UTM.

If Hurst wanted anyone from Rotherham he would go to the manager (Paul Warne) who he is (still) great friends with. Why would he approach a glorified Chief Scout?
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 8, 2021, 10:39am; Reply: 186
Scott labelled Hurst as something along the lines of 'someone you wouldn't want in the trenches with you' during a bizarre Twitter Q&A a few years back.

But time heals and I'm sure they've sorted things out, indeed that Scott has calmed down his style since.

Hurst signed at least one player on loan from Rotherham when he was Scunthorpe manager, Jamie Proctor.  
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 8, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 187
Quoted from Davec

Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Yep you are right, Soccerbase date error. They usually correct stuff, sent an email to racingpost.com to amend it.

Hurst signed Donachien on loan with a view to a permanent deal because the player had UK work permit issues. These were resolved and he joined Ipswich permanently in January 2019 by which time Hurst had been sacked & Paul Lambert was Ipswich manager.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 8, 2021, 11:15am; Reply: 188
Kyle vassell is down the pecking order at Rotherham I think. Maybe a bit of a big ask to get him though
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 8, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 189
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Kyle vassell is down the pecking order at Rotherham I think. Maybe a bit of a big ask to get him though

He's started their last 4 Championship matches.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 8, 2021, 11:36am; Reply: 190
Looks like no new signings ahead of a vital game. Very surprised at this. Of course its offset by the fact that Holloway would probably have brought in 10 players of intercourse all ability by now.....
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 8, 2021, 11:46am; Reply: 191
Worrying that we shipped out, albeit poor players on the whole, we have no one in yet, one week into the window.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 8, 2021, 11:49am; Reply: 192
Looks like no new signings ahead of a vital game. Very surprised at this. Of course its offset by the fact that Holloway would probably have brought in 10 players of intercourse all ability by now.....

You make a good point first sentence. The rest is irrelevant, it's in the past, we move on, go forward. UTM.
Posted by: Nutsy, January 8, 2021, 12:02pm; Reply: 193
Id much rather no rushed signings, and we bring in 1 or 2 class signings than 4 or 5 mediocre/poor players
Posted by: davmariner, January 8, 2021, 12:06pm; Reply: 194
People need to be patient. Better that we wait a game or two extra for the right player than panic and bring in someone excrement for the sake of it (which was largely Holloway’s recruitment process).
Posted by: Zmariner, January 8, 2021, 12:08pm; Reply: 195
Quoted from Nutsy
Id much rather no rushed signings, and we bring in 1 or 2 class signings than 4 or 5 mediocre/poor players

Completely agree, Hollowhead Would no doubt have made three signings by this point. I would rather have none done the quality of signings that that idiot made
Utm
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 8, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 196
Quoted from ginnywings
Interesting article from Codalmighty about player recruitment.

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=7787

Although we weren't really acquaintances I used to go to school with the Boston United scout mentioned in this article, he was in the year below me. Funnily enough he is or was a massive vocal Lincoln City fan and would not hide his hate for the "Codheads" at school, granted this was the late 90's and turn of the millennium, but last time I saw him it was no more than a decade ago and he was at the time still a season ticket holder at Sincil Bank as I believe he had been for many years through mutual friends. I was completely shocked and nearly fell off my chair when I saw his picture on the Boston website next to Macca and in their team photo. Obviously done well for himself in his role, but it would be simply staggering if he ever ended up working for Town.  ;D ??)
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 8, 2021, 12:19pm; Reply: 197
No worries here - PH will still be assessing what he's got - no point in bringing in new for the sake of it.
Who he eventually brings in will have to be a lot better than IH left us with.
Posted by: Garth, January 8, 2021, 12:27pm; Reply: 198
Daft as it may seem, together PH and deputy dawg could make a better fist of what we have now than Run Run Runaway, as he did with no hope Shrewsbury.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 8, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 199
Quoted from Garth
Daft as it may seem, together PH and deputy dawg could make a better fist of what we have now than Run Run Runaway, as he did with no hope Shrewsbury.

My thoughts too... We will undoubtedly see incomings this month but I'm confident in the coaching abilities of Hurst and Doig to inject some structure and gameplan into what we have and improve their performances as a team... Peppered with some quality signings.

Naive perhaps, but I'm not concerned!
Posted by: oochiad, January 8, 2021, 12:46pm; Reply: 200
I'm looking at the last 20 mins against Cambridge and thinking if they can get them to play like that on saturday then we're in with a chance. Better to wait for good players than sign rubbish........
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 8, 2021, 12:52pm; Reply: 201
Quoted from oochiad
I'm looking at the last 20 mins against Cambridge and thinking if they can get them to play like that on saturday then we're in with a chance. Better to wait for good players than sign rubbish........

To be honest, I don’t think the second half against Cambridge means much. They were pretty much happy to let us come at them, confident that we’d never score 2 goals. However, I agree with many that Hurst would get the current group looking like a coherent football team.

I think it’s a good sign we’ve had no signings in too. They could sign any rubbish any time they wanted, but clearly theyve identified their targets and know who they want and what the team needs.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 8, 2021, 12:54pm; Reply: 202
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

Although we weren't really acquaintances I used to go to school with the Boston United scout mentioned in this article, he was in the year below me. Funnily enough he is or was a massive vocal Lincoln City fan and would not hide his hate for the "Codheads" at school, granted this was the late 90's and turn of the millennium, but last time I saw him it was no more than a decade ago and he was at the time still a season ticket holder at Sincil Bank as I believe he had been for many years through mutual friends. I was completely shocked and nearly fell off my chair when I saw his picture on the Boston website next to Macca and in their team photo. Obviously done well for himself in his role, but it would be simply staggering if he ever ended up working for Town.  ;D ??)

I think he went off to Salford for a year and then returned to Boston.
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 8, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 203
A Port Vale fan on 1FF who is usually pretty reliable is saying we're in for Jake Taylor and a quick Google brings this article up, apologies if it's been posted already. Not been following this thread, as I was awaiting some Omar Bogle threads instead...

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vales-league-two-rivals-4868515
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 8, 2021, 1:10pm; Reply: 204
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think he went off to Salford for a year and then returned to Boston.

Yeah, just asked a couple of school mates it was Southport under Kevin Davies. Fair play to him.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 8, 2021, 2:08pm; Reply: 205
I think with Hurst stating he had seen the previous 4 games before taking over and with a first game in charge under his belt, I too would have expected to see some new faces in the building by now.  Added to that is comments about 11 dogs, basically saying he needed some quality and that he's kept his hand in with watching games.  Basically I thought he would have already identified what we need and who can help fill that void.

Which does ever so slightly concern me that it's a case of not getting deals over the line.  All in though, I'd much rather have some quality for 10 games than bang average, doesn't add anything of value for 15 games.  We don't want players just adding for the sake of numbers.  

Perhaps teams are a bit more reluctant to loan or sell fringe players out at the minute with so many players ending up self-isolating?
Posted by: Marinerdan, January 8, 2021, 2:43pm; Reply: 206
I wouldn’t be surprised if a new signing or two was announced tomorrow.

Hurst likes to keep his cards close to his chest and it’s not like an early announcement will help sell more tickets. Better to keep any signings quiet rather than give our opposition notice.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 8, 2021, 2:51pm; Reply: 207
Think we also overlook the added difficulty the Covid-19 virus will be having on doing deals, been stated often enough how hard it is to attract players to the Grimsby area but given you might also be in temporary accommodation and not permitted much freedom of movement players might be reluctant to leave their home/families or move their family when schools etc closed.

All a big mess and given the spread of this latest strain of the virus I would fully support this season being brought to an end.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 8, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 208
Jake Taylor's agent is a Phil Sproson.  As Port Vale are also in for him, it might be relevant that if he is the son of Vale legend Roy Sproson.  (Not checked but seems a big coincidence).
Posted by: Sigone, January 8, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 209
Think we are just about to announce one  :)

Also not sure if anyone has mentioned it Pierre Fonkeu will not be joining us.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 8, 2021, 2:56pm; Reply: 210
Yeah town tease on twitter

One would imagine Habergham?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 8, 2021, 3:03pm; Reply: 211
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Jake Taylor's agent is a Phil Sproson.  As Port Vale are also in for him, it might be relevant that if he is the son of Vale legend Roy Sproson.  (Not checked but seems a big coincidence).

He's a football agent. He'd sell his own grandma to earn a couple of quid. I can't see him being sentimental about a club his dad once played for.
Posted by: Teds Lad, January 8, 2021, 3:06pm; Reply: 212
Now confirmed on deal to end of season.
Posted by: Teds Lad, January 8, 2021, 3:09pm; Reply: 213
Grimsby Town F.C.
49.9K Tweets
See new Tweets
Grimsby Town F.C.
@officialgtfc
The official Twitter account of Grimsby Town Football Club http://gtfctickets.co.uk http://gtfcstore.co.uk #GTFC
Blundell Park, Cleethorpesgtfc.co.ukBorn September 20Joined September 2010
146 Following
49.2K Followers
Followed by We Are Town, Grimsby Town SET, and 10 others you follow
Tweets
Tweets & replies
Media
Grimsby Town F.C.
@officialgtfc
·
6m
✍DONE DEAL!

Grimsby Town Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of left-back, Sam Habergham until the end of the season.

Full story Down pointing backhand index

https://grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/january/habergham-signs-for-the-mariners

#GTFC
Habergham Signs For The Mariners
Grimsby Town Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of left back, Sam Habergham until the end of the season.
grimsby-townfc.co.uk
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 9, 2021, 5:42pm; Reply: 214
Jake Taylor has turned us down
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 9, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 215
Posted by: Poojah, January 9, 2021, 5:47pm; Reply: 216

Smart lad, if nothing else.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), January 9, 2021, 5:47pm; Reply: 217

The guy had a choice of clubs (I understand)...so why would he choose us?

Sadly.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 9, 2021, 5:55pm; Reply: 218
And this is the issue why should anyone choose us unless they are desperate and have no other options.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 9, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 219

I suspect he won’t be the first.
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, January 9, 2021, 6:06pm; Reply: 220
Or the last
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 9, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 221
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope
Or the last

Indeed, that’s what I meant to put in all honesty 🤦‍♂️
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, January 9, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 222
Not the time to make panic buys, I just hope Hurst has a few more irons in the fire. We need players that want to be here and are up for the fight.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 9, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 223
Well this blokes positive if nothing else.

https://twitter.com/jstockwood/status/1347950193686282241?s=21
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 9, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 224
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope
Not the time to make panic buys, I just hope Hurst has a few more irons in the fire. We need players that want to be here and are up for the fight.

Would agree, Howe, thought I detected in his after match interview the fact that after his first week here a bit of realism had hit him on hard bringing players in is going to be.

That said I was a little disappointed with his team selection today and feel, based on current players, Spokes  in midfield Wright out wide with Gibson and Jackson Jnr up front may have given us a lot more energy, some pace and maybe an opportunity to get a goal or two. Really disappointed to see PH retain Green up front and then play him on his own.

Let’s hope he can pull a few rabbits out the hat this week and get some new players in with Hanson and Scannell also available for selection we may see some hope for improvement.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 9, 2021, 7:00pm; Reply: 225

Would agree, Howe, thought I detected in his after match interview the fact that after his first week here a bit of realism had hit him on hard bringing players in is going to be.

That said I was a little disappointed with his team selection today and feel, based on current players, Spokes  in midfield Wright out wide with Gibson and Jackson Jnr up front may have given us a lot more energy, some pace and maybe an opportunity to get a goal or two. Really disappointed to see PH retain Green up front and then play him on his own.

Let’s hope he can pull a few rabbits out the hat this week and get some new players in with Hanson and Scannell also available for selection we may see some hope for improvement.

that's what i meant about him relying on his experienced players and they let him down to a man.
i've said a couple of times, that its my main worry about hurst is that he doesn't seem to trust young players, or give them a chance to come up from our ranks. and yet i've thought spokes, for example, has looked really good, far more than rose
Posted by: realist, January 9, 2021, 7:06pm; Reply: 226
Maybe he has a score to settle and wants to see us relegated. Still can’t get over being 3-0 down and only one striker who can’t score on for us
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 9, 2021, 7:06pm; Reply: 227
I would certainly be giving Jackson, Gibson, Spokes and Max Wright a run of games some of the senior players don't look like they can get around the pitch to me.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 9, 2021, 7:36pm; Reply: 228
i know it wouldn't have made any difference, but would it have hurt to have given jackson and gibson 20 minutes up front together? jackson must've had a bit of confidence after scoring midweek and now he's thinking, what do i have to do to get a game?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 9, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 229
Quoted from forza ivano
i know it wouldn't have made any difference, but would it have hurt to have given jackson and gibson 20 minutes up front together? jackson must've had a bit of confidence after scoring midweek and now he's thinking, what do i have to do to get a game?

Exactly this, in fact I'd say what have you got to lose by starting them, Green has had enough goes at it now. Same for Spokes he did more in those two games over xmas than Rose has in about a dozen games. The senior pros in this squad are consistently letting us down.

We need new players but until we can get them in we need to shake it up drastically.
Posted by: nightrider, January 9, 2021, 7:47pm; Reply: 230
Selection was crap.  Tactics too. He loves hitting it long to the target man though so no doubt Green will start the next game regardless

Jackson is the real deal imo. At least I hope he is.  ;D
It's hursts and the teams job to get the ball to him in the box. They've failed miserably so far. Mind you, it would help if the manager selected him, obviously. Or is he not fit
Posted by: denni266, January 9, 2021, 7:53pm; Reply: 231
We aregoing to have great difficulty in getting any decent players in to a doomed club , I said in another post that it will be a slow job getting players in  with Hurst in charge . But as each game and lost game goes bye , players are going to say Im out ,, Cant see where a goal is coming from let alone a win . We have been conned by fenty and hollowhead .. hollowhead never came to manage and produce a team he came for something else .. But what was he promiced to make him get into bed with fenty , and fall in love with him.  And then there was three in bed imo , The whole thing stinks
Posted by: ginnywings, January 9, 2021, 8:01pm; Reply: 232
We won't have difficulty finding players better than some of those we have now. At 61, I'd back myself to take a better free kick and corner than some of this lot. And yes, I'm being serious.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 9, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 233
Quoted from nightrider
Selection was crap.  Tactics too. He loves hitting it long to the target man though so no doubt Green will start the next game regardless

Jackson is the real deal imo. At least I hope he is.  ;D
It's hursts and the teams job to get the ball to him in the box. They've failed miserably so far. Mind you, it would help if the manager selected him, obviously. Or is he not fit

Complete cobblers from start to finish.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 9, 2021, 8:40pm; Reply: 234
There were two players today who were absolute garbage and two who were that bad that they looked like they weren’t trying. In addition, the keeper was close to garbage.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 9, 2021, 8:46pm; Reply: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
We won't have difficulty finding players better than some of those we have now. At 61, I'd back myself to take a better free kick and corner than some of this lot. And yes, I'm being serious.

Without havin met or spoken to you i admit, i would not for a moment have thought you were almost ancient Ginny😉
Posted by: ginnywings, January 9, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

Without havin met or spoken to you i admit, i would not for a moment have thought you were almost ancient Ginny😉

Can easily pass for 58.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 9, 2021, 9:02pm; Reply: 237
Quoted from ginnywings

Can easily pass for 58.

So can I, but I’m 57 😉
Posted by: Mallyner, January 9, 2021, 9:04pm; Reply: 238
Quoted from forza ivano

There was a ball flashed across the goal from memory from Max and Bennett, not that I think played  badly at all was on the outside of the only defender, when I thought it Jackson Jr with his natural instinct, would have been on the goalside and tapped it in.

Posted by: Croxton, January 9, 2021, 11:28pm; Reply: 239
Quoted from Mallyner

There was a ball flashed across the goal from memory from Max and Bennett, not that I think played  badly at all was on the outside of the only defender, when I thought it Jackson Jr with his natural instinct, would have been on the goalside and tapped it in.

Hurst said selection had no bearing on the result.  Wright, Jackson and Spokes might disagree. I certainly do.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 10, 2021, 1:38pm; Reply: 240
Quoted from ginnywings

I believe you!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 10, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 241
Ravel Morrison is available.  ::)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2021, 4:25pm; Reply: 242
Quoted from ginnywings

What a load of Bolero

I’ll get me coat
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 10, 2021, 4:27pm; Reply: 243
I get the thinking behind saying who will we be able to attract or are we an attractive proposition etc. But there are a lot of teams around us I’d argue are less of an attraction than ourselves. Everything is relative.
Posted by: DB, January 10, 2021, 5:23pm; Reply: 244
Kenghi looks pretty good judging by his shoot today
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 10, 2021, 6:32pm; Reply: 245
Scottish striker??????
Posted by: DB, January 10, 2021, 6:35pm; Reply: 246
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Scottish striker??????

No Marine (v Spurs) tremendous shot hit the bar; before Spurs scored
Posted by: 140348 (Guest), January 10, 2021, 7:03pm; Reply: 247
Quoted from DB

That's all he did. One shot from 30 yards. At least he had a shot I suppose.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 10, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 248
Bring back John Lewis, crying out for a presence up front and there's a reason he was called The Shop... he was the size of one.
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, January 10, 2021, 7:13pm; Reply: 249
Quoted from DB

No Marine (v Spurs) tremendous shot hit the bar; before Spurs scored

We could sign the Klopp cutout from behind the fence and it would hold its own in our team.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 10, 2021, 7:44pm; Reply: 250
Quoted from moss_side_mariner

We could sign the Klopp cutout from behind the fence and it would hold its own in our team.

Could we sign the fence too?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 11, 2021, 8:33am; Reply: 251
Quoted from DB

I thought i was watching the legend that is, Serge Makofo
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 11, 2021, 9:26am; Reply: 252
Coincidence that Scannel has just posted a picture of Hope Akpan on his Instagram account with some clap emoji's? Ex Bradford midfielder?
Posted by: Sandford1981, January 11, 2021, 9:38am; Reply: 253
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Coincidence that Scannel has just posted a picture of Hope Akpan on his Instagram account with some clap emoji's? Ex Bradford midfielder?

I’d imagine he’s just celebrating his mate securing a move to SJK in Finland.
Posted by: davmariner, January 11, 2021, 9:38am; Reply: 254

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/19001297.former-bradford-city-midfielder-akpan-joins-sjk-finland/

He’s just signed for a club in Finland today is probably why.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 11, 2021, 10:04am; Reply: 255
Quoted from davmariner

Oh well there goes that one!!
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 11, 2021, 10:32am; Reply: 256
Quoted from ginnywings

id prefer Van Morrison....stocky and resolute, but a great performer
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 11, 2021, 1:50pm; Reply: 257
Jake Taylor has signed for Port Vale.

https://twitter.com/OfficialPVFC/status/1348623303322251266
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 11, 2021, 2:16pm; Reply: 258
Another target signs for a club without a pot to wee in and they dont even have a manager we really are in the sh111t
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 11, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 259
Quoted from Son of Cod
Jake Taylor has signed for Port Vale.

What a surprise!

https://twitter.com/OfficialPVFC/status/1348623303322251266

Posted by: Son of Cod, January 11, 2021, 2:19pm; Reply: 260
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Another target signs for a club without a pot to wee in and they dont even have a managerwe really are in the sh111t

Three and a half year deal though, so it's not really surprising.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 11, 2021, 2:21pm; Reply: 261
Probably sat there on Saturday and we made his mind up for him. :(
Posted by: RonMariner, January 11, 2021, 2:25pm; Reply: 262
I think we are going to have to pay over then odds to attract players. That is annoying, but that is the position Hollow words and Fenty have brought the club to.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 11, 2021, 3:04pm; Reply: 263
Quoted from RonMariner
I think we are going to have to pay over then odds to attract players. That is annoying, but that is the position Hollow words and Fenty have brought the club to.

Not just over the odds but a top of the range Jaguar, holiday home in the Seychelles, resident masseuer, PS4 and expense account at Othello's!!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2021, 3:10pm; Reply: 264
I'm sure there are ways of attracting some better players to the cause. We don't need world beaters, just players who will fight for the cause, get us safe, then look at it again in the summer. Some loans maybe who don't have to hang around should we get relegated but will get a contract should we get safe.
Posted by: denni266, January 11, 2021, 3:13pm; Reply: 265
fenty and his puppets  along with hollow brain have screwed us right in the crap.. hollowhead and manager dont belong in the same dictionary let alone page.. I cant think of any other manager that has signed and produced a squad so bad in football history
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 11, 2021, 3:17pm; Reply: 266

Not just over the odds but a top of the range Jaguar, holiday home in the Seychelles, resident masseuer, PS4 and expense account at Othello's!!

Think we'll have to push it to a PS5   ;)

Posted by: DB, January 11, 2021, 3:17pm; Reply: 267
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm sure there are ways of attracting some better players to the cause. We don't need world beaters, just players who will fight for the cause, get us safe, then look at it again in the summer. Some loans maybe who don't have to hang around should we get relegated but will get a contract should we get safe.

Couldn't agree more. There (or their) has to be a way to get us out of this mess.
Posted by: Poojah, January 11, 2021, 3:20pm; Reply: 268
Quoted from RonMariner

Ain't that just the way. Interestingly, if that's the right word, our biggest real terms expenditure on wages since we dropped out of the third tier in 2003 was our relegation season in 2010 (equivalent to £3.1m today, factoring general inflation but not the growth in TV revenue versus then).

That in itself is pretty scandalous, but it was ultimately the product of not investing in the squad adequately in the first place and then scrambling (and failing) to avoid the non-league abyss. I seem to recall Fenty admitting himself, as part of some kind of bizarre defence of his own performance, that we had the third highest wage bill in the division that season.

And here we are again. You have to take your Town hat off and ask yourself, if you were a player of any merit, would you entrust your future to the burning train wreck that is GTFC at this moment in time? Genuine question; is there another EFL club that looks less desirable than us as a prospective employer right now?
Posted by: forza ivano, January 11, 2021, 3:27pm; Reply: 269
EFL Hub on F.B saying that us ,scunts, swindon and exeter all interested in Torquay midfielder Armani Little.
Having said that EFL hub is a bloody con isn't it?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 11, 2021, 3:33pm; Reply: 270
Quoted from Poojah

Ain't that just the way. Interestingly, if that's the right word, our biggest real terms expenditure on wages since we dropped out of the third tier in 2003 was our relegation season in 2010 (equivalent to £3.1m today, factoring general inflation but not the growth in TV revenue versus then).

That in itself is pretty scandalous, but it was ultimately the product of not investing in the squad adequately in the first place and then scrambling (and failing) to avoid the non-league abyss. I seem to recall Fenty admitting himself, as part of some kind of bizarre defence of his own performance, that we had the third highest wage bill in the division that season.

And here we are again. You have to take your Town hat off and ask yourself, if you were a player of any merit, would you entrust your future to the burning train wreck that is GTFC at this moment in time? Genuine question; is there another EFL club that looks less desirable than us as a prospective employer right now?

It depends I suppose whether the new owners are already pulling the strings. If Hurst has a good story to tell, about very imminent improvements and a salary/contract to match, then he may have some success. That is assuming players will want to listen in the first place given our standing in the game at the moment.

In any event, we will indeed have to pay over the odds which won't be too bad if the players we recruit are worth it, which they will be if we stay up.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2021, 3:51pm; Reply: 271
Quoted from Poojah

Yep, something this club fails to grasp time and again, is that rebuilding over and over costs infinitely more than building correctly in the first place. Not to mention all the lost revenue from fan attendance that being constantly sh1te elicits.
Posted by: malkamalka, January 11, 2021, 3:57pm; Reply: 272
Arsenal are still reported to be looking for a replacement for keeper, Matt Macey who just moved to Hibs. They have a couple of U23's who have been training with the first team, so one of them could be available for a loan, as could current No 2, Alex Runnarson.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 11, 2021, 4:19pm; Reply: 273
Quoted from forza ivano
EFL Hub on F.B saying that us ,scunts, swindon and exeter all interested in Torquay midfielder Armani Little.

We couldn't afford Armarni Suit.
Posted by: realist, January 11, 2021, 4:36pm; Reply: 274
Could Hurst be the problem with recruitment?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 11, 2021, 4:40pm; Reply: 275
FFS!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 11, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 276
Quoted from realist

Rather than Red Cross you could you give your opinion as to why Hurst would be a problem in attracting players?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2021, 4:57pm; Reply: 277
Quoted from realist

You and your user name are completely contradictory.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 11, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 278
Notts Forest midfielder has opted for  Port Vale -  on a 3.5 year contract.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 11, 2021, 5:01pm; Reply: 279
That would be Jake Taylor by the way!
Posted by: RonMariner, January 11, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 280
We have seen where skimping on player salaries and fees gets us. We would have been relegated in 2009 were it not for Lutons's points deduction. The next year we went down. It then took us five seasons to reach a Conference play off final.

When, after the fans gave over £100k to the club, we finally made it back in to the league where we have finished 14th, 18th, 17th and 15th. Never troubling the top half of the table, let alone the play offs.

Well over a decade of mediocrity. And now we find ourselves in the drop zone, regularly beaten by fellow relegation rivals.

That's what false economies on players wages gets you.

So yes, we have to pay over the odds to attract players that are fit, fast, committed and capable.

Pay them and they will come.
Posted by: DB, January 11, 2021, 6:02pm; Reply: 281
Quoted from RonMariner
We have seen where skimping on player salaries and fees gets us. We would have been relegated in 2009 were it not for Lutons's points deduction. The next year we went down. It then took us five seasons to reach a Conference play off final.

When, after the fans gave over £100k to the club, we finally made it back in to the league where we have finished 14th, 18th, 17th and 15th. Never troubling the top half of the table, let alone the play offs.

Well over a decade of mediocrity. And now we find ourselves in the drop zone, regularly beaten by fellow relegation rivals.

That's what false economies on players wages gets you.

So yes, we have to pay over the odds to attract players that are fit, fast, committed and capable.

Pay them and they will come.

While Taylor went to hopeful Vale over hopeless Town the 3 1/2 year deal would have been attractive. As I've said before PD said money's not a problem but what about the terms of the contract. A loan deal with Town or permanent 3 1/2 year deal.

Our bored board have to come up with proper packages to attract players. Not a new portacabin to train in.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, January 11, 2021, 6:10pm; Reply: 282
Quoted from forza ivano

At least we'll be able to drag out the "His name is a shop......" song again.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 11, 2021, 6:22pm; Reply: 283
For Jake Taylor it's a 50 mile move rather than a 90 mile move. Less if he lives on the west side of Nottingham. He's in the middle of country - if his family / girlfriend are Manchester where he was born then he's even closer to them. I recall it being said (Buckley era) that over the years Town have often had to pay a bit over the odds to tempt players out to the East coast.

We will have to pay over the odds to get the quality we need at the moment.
Posted by: TAGG, January 11, 2021, 6:28pm; Reply: 284
Quoted from forza ivano

If it was Stewart Little he would fit right in with our lot ;)
Posted by: realist, January 11, 2021, 7:28pm; Reply: 285

Rather than Red Cross you could you give your opinion as to why Hurst would be a problem in attracting players?

It was a genuine question and I don’t know the answer. What was his relationship with the players like since he left us?
We really need to get to the bottom of our recruiting problems

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 11, 2021, 7:31pm; Reply: 286
Quoted from realist

It was a genuine question and I don’t know the answer. What was his relationship with the players like since he left us?
We really need to get to the bottom of our recruiting problems

Simple answers, it's John Shelton Fenty!!
Posted by: DB, January 11, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 287
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Simple answers, it's John Shelton Fenty!!

According to posts PH came because JSF was selling up and the new guys were promising money( or backing) which ever way you want to look at it. We are at day 11 under the new regime and apart from 1 unproven addition there has been no new blood.

As much as I dislike JF like the rest of us there must be other reasons for the lack of signings. This is starting to look like last summers recruitment campaign all over again. An ego and the "hot" phone of IH could get players so I hope PH can, although his comments on RH didn't give much hope.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2021, 9:54pm; Reply: 288
Quoted from DB

According to posts PH came because JSF was selling up and the new guys were promising money( or backing) which ever way you want to look at it. We are at day 11 under the new regime and apart from 1 unproven addition there has been no new blood.

As much as I dislike JF like the rest of us there must be other reasons for the lack of signings. This is starting to look like last summers recruitment campaign all over again. An ego and the "hot" phone of IH could get players so I hope PH can, although his comments on RH didn't give much hope.

Give yourself a day off.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 11, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 289
Can't believe what i'm reading, there's been no signings because PH hasn't seen them as adequate signings, no other reason behind it. He HAS to get it right so will be moving with extra caution, there is plenty of time left in the season.
Posted by: DB, January 11, 2021, 9:58pm; Reply: 290
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Give yourself a day off.

I do do, but have night shift
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 11, 2021, 10:05pm; Reply: 291
Quoted from DB

I do do, but have night shift

Spread-eagled on a pillow, indulging yourself in the pleasures of the palm, does not constitute a night shift
Posted by: DB, January 11, 2021, 10:16pm; Reply: 292

Spread-eagled on a pillow, indulging yourself in the pleasures of the palm, does not constitute a night shift

The one thing I do enjoy on this web site, apart from the serious side of Towns position in the league, is the humour. It is the best free entertainment you can get, banter at it's best.
Posted by: dicko995, January 12, 2021, 4:45pm; Reply: 293
tuesday 4.30pm and still no sign of any player coming in, this is gonna be a crucial 72 hours to get a couple of players in for the game this weekend. I can only feel sorry for Hursty, as our position and area doesnt bode well for any incomings, along with the Ollievirus. If we dont get anyone in, im hoping Hanson and Scannel would be vying for fitness to help us out. It aint looking good.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 12, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 294
Why would any decent player want to come?

We can’t control COVID
We have crap facilities
We won’t pay decent wages
We can’t win
We have so many unfit players we can’t play the same team twice.

And if we lose Saturday we are bottom of the slagheap
Posted by: ginnywings, January 12, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 295
Quoted from dicko995
tuesday 4.30pm and still no sign of any player coming in, this is gonna be a crucial 72 hours to get a couple of players in for the game this weekend. I can only feel sorry for Hursty, as our position and area doesnt bode well for any incomings, along with the Ollievirus. If we dont get anyone in, im hoping Hanson and Scannel would be vying for fitness to help us out. It aint looking good.

Hurst said that it would likely be after tonight's round of games when clubs would let players go out. There are games in our league, the National League and the EFL trophy, which is where a lot of fringe players will be involved. Have a little patience.

Besides, we may have players in training with us now like Habergham did. We may already have players agreed terms but just waiting for contracts. We may even have signed someone but not released the news yet.
Posted by: DB, January 12, 2021, 6:31pm; Reply: 296
Quoted from ginnywings

Hurst said that it would likely be after tonight's round of games when clubs would let players go out. There are games in our league, the National League and the EFL trophy, which is where a lot of fringe players will be involved. Have a little patience.

Besides, we may have players in training with us now like Habergham did. We may already have players agreed terms but just waiting for contracts. We may even have signed someone but not released the news yet.

I agree with you as info out of BP is non-existent. With regard to tonight's games I hope for a Carlisle and Salford victories, any less will only keep us in the quagmire created by JF and IH
Posted by: RonMariner, January 12, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 297
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Why would any decent player want to come?

We can’t control COVID
We have crap facilities
We won’t pay decent wages
We can’t win
We have so many unfit players we can’t play the same team twice.

And if we lose Saturday we are bottom of the slagheap

In the words of Nigel Tufnel   'that's just nit picking......'
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 13, 2021, 2:46pm; Reply: 298
I feel slightly different I guess.
We are in the brown and smelly stuff. No doubt about that.
But a half decent run in the next half of the season should get us clear.
I would rather wait a couple of weeks and get the right players in, than panic buy now.
If we still haven’t improved the squad by quite a margin by the end of the transfer window I will be sorely disappointed. I’m still worried, of course I am. But to wait slightly we’d still have a fair few games to sort it.  
UTM
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 13, 2021, 6:44pm; Reply: 299
Quoted from Civvy at last
I would rather wait a couple of weeks and get the right players in, than panic buy now.
If we still haven’t improved the squad by quite a margin by the end of the transfer window I will be sorely disappointed. I’m still worried, of course I am. But to wait slightly we’d still have a fair few games to sort it.  
UTM

Totally agree with this Civy, a decent sequence of results at any point of the season will do, so let's not desperately rush and get the wrong people in. If Hurst can sign a decent cohort of players then we've got every chance of stringing a winning sequence together that will pull us clear, most of the teams at this level are much of a muchness.

Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 13, 2021, 7:21pm; Reply: 300
Quoted from Civvy at last
UTM

Absolutely, got to get the right quality. A good window and we will cruise out of trouble. Sign more shite and we will struggle.
Posted by: toontown, January 13, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 301
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Absolutely, got to get the right quality. A good window and we will cruise out of trouble. Sign more shite and we will struggle.

Thats probably right but we don't necessarily have that much time - who knows when the season might be curtailed...
Posted by: Total Hawsehole, January 13, 2021, 9:02pm; Reply: 302
Sign Scott, Virgil, Alan, James and Brains. All have been self isolating on Tracy Island, so no worries about Covid.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 14, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 303
It would really help Hurst with recruitment if we could get the takeover completed as soon as possible, especially if a vision for the future of the club is presented at the same time..
Posted by: forza ivano, January 14, 2021, 3:58pm; Reply: 304
Quoted from Bigdog
It would really help Hurst with recruitment if we could get the takeover completed as soon as possible, especially if a vision for the future of the club is presented at the same time..

not going to happen realistically bigdog. It's only 3 weeks since the announcement, and these things generally take 4 weeks/1 month and that's without the Xmas/New Year break and the latest lockdown. I suspect it will be early February.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 14, 2021, 4:06pm; Reply: 305
Sign Scott, Virgil, Alan, James and Brains. All have been self isolating on Tracy Island, so no worries about Covid.

James?

Surely you mean Gordon and John?
Even Grandma would improve us at the minute
Posted by: dicko995, January 14, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 306
Yus, Milady :)
Posted by: rancido, January 15, 2021, 12:58pm; Reply: 307
IMO in our current league position I think we will struggle to get any decent signings. No footballer wants a relegation season, especially out of the League, on their CV. I'm not saying that I think we will be relegated but prospective signings might have a different view of our position and future.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 15, 2021, 1:06pm; Reply: 308
Quoted from rancido
IMO in our current league position I think we will struggle to get any decent signings. No footballer wants a relegation season, especially out of the League, on their CV. I'm not saying that I think we will be relegated but prospective signings might have a different view of our position and future.

That's another reason I think this next match against Southend could be so big, could just put us outside the relegation zone for a week, make things look a bit less dire even though really in the grand scheme of things it's just 3 points, but could make a bit of difference for signings
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 15, 2021, 1:34pm; Reply: 309
I can just see JSF in a pink Roller
Posted by: denni266, January 15, 2021, 3:32pm; Reply: 310
I can just see JSF in a pink Roller

Do you mean the car or in his hair ? lol
Posted by: forza ivano, January 15, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 311
guy on F.B. saying 2 due in early next week, 1 under 23 player and 1 journeyman. Clubs involved are from Sheffield and North East.

ps best now you can get on sarfend is 23-10 with bet 365. That's where my money will be going
Posted by: gtfc_akpa_akpro, January 16, 2021, 1:37am; Reply: 312
Quoted from forza ivano
guy on F.B. saying 2 due in early next week, 1 under 23 player and 1 journeyman. Clubs involved are from Sheffield and North East.

ps best now you can get on sarfend is 23-10 with bet 365. That's where my money will be going

Definitely not a true supporter of the football club. Not supporter would ever back against their own team to make a couple of quid. Disgraceful
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 16, 2021, 1:40am; Reply: 313
unless you know you are a excrement better, you know, bet on Red Rum in the National and it falls at the first
Posted by: Davec, January 16, 2021, 7:13am; Reply: 314
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro

Definitely not a true supporter of the football club. Not supporter would ever back against their own team to make a couple of quid. Disgraceful

Has it ever occured to you that people bet against town, so if we lose then they make money but if we win the joy and delight of winning makes up for any monetary gain. What if he intends on using any winnings on stuff from the club shop?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 16, 2021, 9:32am; Reply: 315
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro

Oh if you only knew. The things that bloke has done to support Town. The miles he’s travelled. The years of shite performances he’s endured. The money raised to support the youth team.

I’m not sure how betting against Town has harmed their prospects. Is there some kind of mystical link that sends negative waves Town’s way as soon as he places that bet? [cue the Twighlight Zone theme]
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 8:35pm