Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 26, 2020, 5:31pm
Is the biggest appointment these clowns have ever had to make.
If they mess this up, they will be even worse off, than if they accepted the original deal....

Day still claims they will have money, so it needs to happen very quickly, as this team, except a handful, are just not good enough
Posted by: blundellpork, December 26, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 1
Whilst I can’t see him accepting, I would have Hurst back in a heartbeat. Well organised, everyone knows their role, incremental improvements, and players who want to stay and play for him.
Posted by: GrimRob, December 26, 2020, 5:34pm; Reply: 2
No way PH would take a 6-month rolling deal. I'd want 2 years in his position, no relegation clause either and a big bonus for staying up. He can practically name his price too as we're that desperate.
Posted by: RonMariner, December 26, 2020, 5:36pm; Reply: 3
Mike Bassett would be the most appropriate choice.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 26, 2020, 5:37pm; Reply: 4
"IF" they mess it up? They always do.

Unless there is someone out there who can raise the dead, we're in sh1t street.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, December 26, 2020, 5:38pm; Reply: 5
No manager worth his salt would take the job with this board given our league position.
Posted by: Withnail, December 26, 2020, 5:38pm; Reply: 6
If I were Hurst and I was approached by the current regime my response would be: "Naaaaaàaar..."
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 26, 2020, 5:39pm; Reply: 7
If the board had the money why hold off until we are in the shite to say we have money, I'll believe it when I see it and I'm still waiting for the hairs to stand up on my neck from Fenty's claim a season or so ago.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 26, 2020, 5:39pm; Reply: 8
If they want to stay up Hurst is as good a shout as anybody, for the remainder of the season the quality of the football is irrelevant, been crap anyway, so it’s just results that count. Hurst, Alexander or the Cowleys all probably capable of sorting out the defensive side of things. Get Scannell, Wright fit and 2 reasonable strikers in and we might score some goals but whether it will be enough who knows. Maybe should just look at a heavily bonussed short term appointment with the sole aim of keeping us up and review at the season end.

Trouble is it’s hard to get any enthusiasm up for a new Manager which is ridiculous given our current plight.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, December 26, 2020, 5:41pm; Reply: 9
I don’t even think Lisa in the ticket office would take this job on. No disrespect intended to her.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 26, 2020, 5:41pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Is the biggest appointment these clowns have ever had to make.
If they mess this up, they will be even worse off, than if they accepted the original deal....

Day still claims they will have money, so it needs to happen very quickly, as this team, except a handful, are just not good enough

They will do what they always do - wait for applications to come in. Then say they have had some first class applications.

Then they will have a board meeting two weeks on Thursday then spend a couple of weeks deliberating and then choose the losing candidate and announce it on February 1st.
Posted by: Perkins, December 26, 2020, 5:41pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from RonMariner

l'm afraid he would be too intelligent and too much of a master tactician for us.

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 26, 2020, 5:42pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
I don’t even think Lisa in the ticket office would take this job on. No disrespect intended to her.

Hahahahahaha
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, December 26, 2020, 5:42pm; Reply: 13
When the body has a cancer, it’s needs cutting out or the patient dies.

Same for football clubs

In gods name Fenty, GO
Posted by: Withnail, December 26, 2020, 5:48pm; Reply: 14
Hurst is appointed tomorrow. Has an absolute stinker in the January window. Mariners are relegated last day of the season in front of an empty stadium.  Hurst finds the camera and putting his finger to his lip goes in for a close up - "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Job done, he walks off into the sunset.
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 26, 2020, 5:49pm; Reply: 15
With Fenty in charge we'd be lucky to get Pinky and Perky
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 26, 2020, 5:50pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Hurst, Alexander or the Cowleys all probably capable of sorting out the defensive side of things.

These are the only 3 that will give me that little bit of hope, but has to be very very soon
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 26, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 17
We will go for the cheap option Fenty will give it to who ever works for peanuts.
Posted by: immariner, December 26, 2020, 5:56pm; Reply: 18
Graham Alexander has to be our number 1 target. None of this waiting to see who applies shite. If he turns us down and who would blame him, get Hurst in until.the end of the season.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 26, 2020, 5:58pm; Reply: 19
Wonder if Adkins is keen to get his name back out there
Posted by: Norseman, December 26, 2020, 5:59pm; Reply: 20
Has anyone ever thought Fenty preferred non league. He had an easy time of it. Got same home crowds as we do in the league. Paid non league, wages and won more than we lost
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 26, 2020, 5:59pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Marinerz93
With Fenty in charge we'd be lucky to get Pinky and Perky

Cost too much, Pinky or Perky.

Posted by: Marinerz93, December 26, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from promotion plaice

Cost too much, Pinky or Perky.

;D
Posted by: Ruston AT, December 26, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 23

I just hope the next manager has the Balls to return ALL the loanees and pay off Hanson and Green. Hanson because its obvious he does want to play for us and Green because he can't pass but he can foul.
Posted by: SomeSanity, December 26, 2020, 6:02pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Ruston AT

I just hope the next manager has the Balls to return ALL the loanees and pay off Hanson and Green. Hanson because its obvious he does want to play for us and Green because he can't pass but he can foul.

Pay off ?? No chance, Fenty put some
More money in and inevitably add it to the bill.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 26, 2020, 6:19pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Norseman
Has anyone ever thought Fenty preferred non league. He had an easy time of it. Got same home crowds as we do in the league. Paid non league, wages and won more than we lost

He won’t have to wait long now will he ?
Posted by: Boris Johnson, December 26, 2020, 6:27pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from RonMariner

Grimsby Town will be playing 4 4, flipping 2
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, December 26, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 27
John
Please don’t appoint anyone
We would be better with no one than with any of your decisions
Posted by: Ipswin, December 26, 2020, 6:55pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
John
Please don’t appoint anyone
We would be better with no one than with any of your decisions

I'd rather we waited to be honest I just don't think there is a manager out there who would come to GTFC and be capable of avoiding relegation with the current squad anyway and clearly there isn't going to be the money available to sign anyone any good, even assuming they would come

Also of course there's no point in signing a bunch of players in haste and wasting whatever money there is. Accept relegation unless the caretakers can get the current lot playing and get the new man in ready for next season

Also by waiting there's a chance the current board won't be doing the appointing
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, December 26, 2020, 7:00pm; Reply: 29
There’s no way any of the managers mentioned in this thread would come . All they’ve got to do is wait a few more months and they’ll find jobs with secure clubs not one shi.tshow like gtfc
Posted by: denni266, December 26, 2020, 7:10pm; Reply: 30
Dont matter what manager comes in.. With this squad he is  bound to fail.. we need 8 league standard players at least
Posted by: Ipswin, December 26, 2020, 7:18pm; Reply: 31
Having read the latest in a series of interminable pathetic mammary for tat statements it appears Messrs Shutes and Co may now be the ones appointing the new manager

I have just two requests
1) Please unlike the Fenty board take advice from someone who knows what he's talking about on who to appoint by sitting in on the interviews perhaps and
2) Please don't go for some high profile big mouth idiot who promises us the world
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 26, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 32
Whose actual choice is it? Surely shutes et al have said to Kim jong Fenty that they want to appoint a manger yet at the same time we need to get someone in to steady this sinking ship.

I’ve an awful feeling that who ‘we want’ is nowhere near who we will actually get. My gut instinct says the cheap option of employing from within or a desperation manager signing (such as sol Campbell)

The fear is real that things could get a lot worse before they get better
Posted by: forza ivano, December 26, 2020, 8:16pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Whose actual choice is it? Surely shutes et al have said to Kim jong Fenty that they want to appoint a manger yet at the same time we need to get someone in to steady this sinking ship.

I’ve an awful feeling that who ‘we want’ is nowhere near who we will actually get. My gut instinct says the cheap option of employing from within or a desperation manager signing (such as sol Campbell)

The fear is real that things could get a lot worse before they get better

bit unfair on mr campbell. never been a Sol lover, but he deserves credit for the good work he did at 2 absolute basket cases. At least he's got good experience at being in the middle of a shitfest
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 26, 2020, 8:51pm; Reply: 34
Whoever comes in has a big “to do” list looking at the current squad. In no particular order...

- Appoint a back room team fit for a professional club.

- Sign 2 strikers who can score goals from the day they sign

- Sign at least one ball winning disrupter to play in mid field .... not another fanny dancer

- Bolster the defence with at least 1 CB and a utility man, minimum.

- Despite young Ollie being hungry for game time we need an experienced back up for Macca

- Consider the value of a keeper/captain

- Send back all the loanees other than Preston and I include Edwards in that.

- Get a system that suits the players

- Make sure you have a plan to keep us up and best Scunthorpe

There’s probably more to do but if the new manager doesn’t tick off the above I think it’s back to tin pot next season.
Posted by: buckstown, December 26, 2020, 9:02pm; Reply: 35
Consortium chaps please go and get Paul Cook
Guarantee of promotion from L2, double season ticket sales etc etc
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 26, 2020, 9:18pm; Reply: 36
Can you see any decent manager or player wanting to come here while Fent y is in charge ?
Posted by: moosey_club, December 26, 2020, 9:34pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Withnail
Hurst is appointed tomorrow. Has an absolute stinker in the January window. Mariners are relegated last day of the season in front of an empty stadium.  Hurst finds the camera and putting his finger to his lip goes in for a close up - "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Job done, he walks off into the sunset.

Now if you had only said "cupped his ears" instead i would have swallowed that  ;D
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 26, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 38
The latest odds:

https://www.thesackrace.com/teams/grimsby-town
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 26, 2020, 9:53pm; Reply: 39
It will never happen due to his Scunny connections as well I think we’re too far gone but I’d love to see Nigel Adkins at Town.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, December 26, 2020, 9:54pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

If the consortium get control - Graham Alexander for me. Can't see Cook coming to the east coast

Posted by: jaygy, December 26, 2020, 10:48pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Dale Houlston, Russel slade and Mike Newell in the running...these betting companies obviously know that Fenty can't run a club properly and just likes to p*ss off the fans
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 26, 2020, 10:55pm; Reply: 42
If Messrs Fenty, Day and Marley are responsible for the next manager then it will go to Davies.

Assuming Hurst doesn't rock up at Bradford, I can see Messrs Shutes, Stockwood and Pettit having him take the reigns.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 26, 2020, 10:56pm; Reply: 43
Think Graham Alexander ticks all the boxes. Available, knows the league, decent record and I would think has good contacts.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 26, 2020, 10:58pm; Reply: 44
Nigel Atkins as Director of Football with a couple of younger coaches.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 26, 2020, 11:02pm; Reply: 45
Dale Houlston, is someone taking the urine?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 26, 2020, 11:25pm; Reply: 46
Lot of pushing for Graham Alexander, his teams play grim percentage football and spend their time cynically falling over and crowding the ref. Not for me.
Posted by: Grantley, December 26, 2020, 11:32pm; Reply: 47
Alexander has had a large budget wherever he has gone and his football is pretty drab despite some of the players he has had. I don’t know who would be a better fit but I don’t think it’s him personally.
Posted by: Tommy, December 26, 2020, 11:37pm; Reply: 48
headingley and Grantley's posts above make Alexander sound very similar to Paul Hurst (apart from the "large budget" part).
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 26, 2020, 11:39pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Lot of pushing for Graham Alexander, his teams play grim percentage football and spend their time cynically falling over and crowding the ref. Not for me.

Our percentage at the moment must be pretty sh!t.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 26, 2020, 11:52pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from arryarryarry
Dale Houston, is someone taking the urine?

Think he'd get us ascending the league
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, December 27, 2020, 12:22am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Tommy
headingley and Grantley's posts above make Alexander sound very similar to Paul Hurst (apart from the "large budget" part).

Teams he has managed seem to have a habit of winning quite alot - even Scunthorpe; looking at the league table I think winning is a little more important at the moment, than the triangular symmetry of our passing or having opposition fans applaud our sportsmanship...  

Posted by: ginnywings, December 27, 2020, 12:45am; Reply: 52
Quoted from headingly_mariner

And?

Needs must right now. League 2 is a slog.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 27, 2020, 1:11am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Abdul19

balderdash, I'm not going to Specsavers again.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 27, 2020, 9:00am; Reply: 54
Right now, I couldn't give a crap if we play terrible football.

Holloway tried playing football, and its not worked at all.

Give me a classic 4-4-2 any day of the week at the minute
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 27, 2020, 10:41am; Reply: 55
I know that there’s still 26 games left but despite that I think whoever comes in faces a massive challenge to keep us up.

- The top scorer is a young centre back.

- We’re short of experienced defenders, in fact we’re short of defenders in general and though individually they can hack it as a unit they’re shabby.

- We have no ball winner to break up the opposition’s play, Rose & Clifton can play a holding role but often give the ball away.

- There is a bit of creativity in mid field to be honest but our movement though slightly better needs to improve a lot.

- Up front, despite lads showing great attitude we have no credible strike force, even when (if) Hanson is fit.

- Other than Preston I wouldn’t be too bothered if all the loans got sent back and a new manager will no doubt have to find loan spells for some of the signed lads.

This won’t be universally popular but I suspect that we’re so far behind where we need to we probably need to manage our expectations of any new manager or owner.  

I hope I’m wrong!
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 27, 2020, 10:58am; Reply: 56
Alexander has a career win percentage that far outstrips anything we have seen for decades, who cares if we go direct for a bit if we win more than we lose?
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 11:03am; Reply: 57
Give Neil Woods another go.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 27, 2020, 11:05am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Alexander has a career win percentage that far outstrips anything we have seen for decades, who cares if we go direct for a bit if we win more than we lose?

We need to win 11 games just to get to 52 points. I don't care how we do it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 27, 2020, 11:14am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Abdul19

See what you did there   :)  

Posted by: promotion plaice, December 27, 2020, 11:16am; Reply: 60
Quoted from 28195

You forgot to add this..... 8)

Posted by: dicko995, December 27, 2020, 11:20am; Reply: 61
If Paul Cook would come, i,d have him in a heartbeat.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, December 27, 2020, 11:24am; Reply: 62
Quoted from dicko995
If Paul Cook would come, i,d have him in a heartbeat.

Yes
This has almost become a sideshow in the tragedy of trying to get rid of Fenty.
Posted by: MNH1972, December 27, 2020, 11:24am; Reply: 63
Players and managers talk and I can’t see a list of people wanting to work with Fenty and his cronies. Anyone experienced isn’t going to put their career on the line with a potential relegation. For me god forbid anus Fenty is still in charge it will be internal or another jolly appointment with no managerial experience

RIP GTFC
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 27, 2020, 11:26am; Reply: 64
Quoted from ginnywings

We need to win 11 games just to get to 52 points. I don't care how we do it.

200% agree!
Posted by: Hagrid, December 27, 2020, 11:30am; Reply: 65
Town have approched Hurst
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 11:33am; Reply: 66
Quoted from 28195

Good God no. I hope you are joking my fellow Bartonian.   :)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 11:34am; Reply: 67
Quoted from Hagrid

Proof?

Posted by: forza ivano, December 27, 2020, 11:34am; Reply: 68
Quoted from Hagrid

sauce/sorss/source?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 11:36am; Reply: 69
Also, WHO representing Town has approached Hurst?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 27, 2020, 11:39am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Hagrid

I'd be surprised if they hadn't. We like a returning manager here and if it's him, I hope he does better than previous returning managers.

I'd be happy with him back and would hope he could do for us what he did for the Shrews.

He'll certainly have more bargaining power than last time to get the backroom staff he wanted.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 27, 2020, 11:40am; Reply: 71
Quoted from 123614
Also, WHO representing Town has approached Hurst?

They’ve enough on their plate with this second wave of COVID
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 11:42am; Reply: 72
^^ ;D
Posted by: Hagrid, December 27, 2020, 11:43am; Reply: 73
https://mobile.twitter.com/up_the_mariners/status/1343154895596249089
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 11:46am; Reply: 74
OMG, does this mean that the present board have done this, if so, then we are back to square one!
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, December 27, 2020, 11:47am; Reply: 75
With the exception of Paul Cook (who I think is almost certainly out of our league) then I'd be happy with PH over any of the other names being mentioned.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 27, 2020, 11:49am; Reply: 76
As I said yesterday Hurst is a safe pair of hands and we need that now more than ever.

Over the years I was delighted with Newell’s appointment, thought Slade returning was ok as he had no relegation on his CV and some reasonable success elsewhere and was over the moon when Holloway got the job so all in all it proves that whilst I might think I know a bit about football I am pretty clueless in identifying what will make a successful appointment as manager.

If the consortium were able to gain control I would go for the Cowleys as I believe there would be in place a long term vision they could get behind and whilst their football may not be easy on the eye I have decided that winning football matches playing crap football is better than watching a team losing as they try and play an attacking style that’s beyond them. It’s not like Cowleys sides don’t score goals and I tend to find if the ball keeps hitting the net you tend not to worry too much how it got there.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 27, 2020, 11:50am; Reply: 77
Quoted from 123614
OMG, does this mean that the present board have done this, if so, then we are back to square one!

They are still in charge, so yes.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 27, 2020, 11:51am; Reply: 78
I think that any new manager would want the ownership situation resolving as they’ll need to be sure of the budget they have both in the short term to get us out of the sh1t and long term to take us forward.

I’m sure we’ve sounded out Hurst but I would hope he’s not the only one we’ve checked in with just in case he doesn’t fancy it.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 11:52am; Reply: 79
I agree that Hurst would do a good job, but isn't the problem that if Fenty is still in charge Hurst will probably not want the job, due to his acrimonious dealings with Fenty, and his poor relationship with the fans.
Posted by: carrot top, December 27, 2020, 11:53am; Reply: 80
but why would PH come back to work with this Board again
Posted by: BeijingMariner, December 27, 2020, 11:54am; Reply: 81
Quoted from 123614
I agree that Hurst would do a good job, but isn't the problem that if Fenty is still in charge Hurst will probably not want the job, due to his acrimonious dealings with Fenty, and his poor relationship with the fans.

that might well be why we have approached Hurst...if 'we' have done it with any confidence then maybe that's because the board know JSF has accepted the offer?
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 11:54am; Reply: 82
Hurst would be the next manager under new ownership, he would never work for Fenty again.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 27, 2020, 11:54am; Reply: 83
Quoted from 123614

Whilst I despise the current board they can’t just sit on their hands and do nothing and approaches to Hurst may be judged one of their more sensible actions. Ideally I, like others want the sale to go through and I understand that them moving forward with this May mean Fenty has no interest in selling but let’s hope that is not the case and this is just them being prudent and realising we need someone at the helm even if this on an interim six month contract to the end of the season.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 11:58am; Reply: 84

Whilst I despise the current board they can’t just sit on their hands and do nothing and approaches to Hurst may be judged one of their more sensible actions. Ideally I, like others want the sale to go through and I understand that them moving forward with this May mean Fenty has no interest in selling but let’s hope that is not the case and this is just them being prudent and realising we need someone at the helm even if this on an interim six month contract to the end of the season.

I wholeheartedly agree with you re appointing Hurst as Manager, but I also cannot see him accepting under the present board.

Posted by: promotion plaice, December 27, 2020, 12:00pm; Reply: 85

If Hurst takes the job and it's a big if with JF still in charge he will get my full support.

I wasn't that bothered when he went but after some of the questionable managers we've had since I'm beginning to appreciate what he did for us a bit more.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 27, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from 123614

“Poor relationship” with some fans ....... not everyone felt that way.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 27, 2020, 12:04pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes, I stand corrected.

Posted by: IlkleyMariner, December 27, 2020, 12:04pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Hagrid

Hurst would do a job and not be a bad choice
We would just miss an opportunity to go for perhaps a more inspired choice with so many good managers currently out of work.
Posted by: forza ivano, December 27, 2020, 12:11pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from HertsGTFC

and we are not going to have fans in BP this season, so it's not an issue for the next 6 months
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 27, 2020, 12:12pm; Reply: 90

If Hurst takes the job and it's a big if with JF still in charge he will get my full support.

I wasn't that bothered when he went but after some of the questionable managers we've had since I'm beginning to appreciate what he did for us a bit more.

All of the managers we’ve had since Hurst have been questionable .....

- Bignott, not big enough or intelligent enough to manage at EFL level.

- Slade V2, was never going to do anything as he never has.

- Jolley, did well to keep us up but his lack of experience on and off the pitch was exposed as soon as the pressure was on.

- Holloway, actually I guess this is one that they could be forgiven for but he was out of work for a reason and a psychometric test wouldn’t have gone a miss.

I don’t know if this is a fact but I can’t see where they’ve taken advice from anyone in the game on any of the candidates above, it wouldn’t surprise me though as they’re not great at recognising expertise at any level on and off the pitch.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 27, 2020, 12:13pm; Reply: 91
Regarding Hurst, it depends entirely who is doing the asking, if anybody.

If it is the new consortium, in anticipation of announcing a takeover, that would be a shrewd move.

If it is Fenty in the mistaken belief he can patch us up and limp on it would be a disaster. Hurst will know a leopard never changes his spots, or at least he should do.

I am sure Hurst would mount a salvage job in either circumstance, but to join a club in absolute turmoil without new owners is a big, big ask
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 27, 2020, 12:17pm; Reply: 92
That Twitter account is always spot on with its info.
It would be the best available and realistic appointment for me. I was a big fan and I loved that he made us professional and competitive.
He’s got a real eye for a goalscorer as well.
Posted by: Meza, December 27, 2020, 12:27pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from carrot top
but why would PH come back to work with this Board again

I Dont think PH fell out with the board i think if anything he wont come back cos of the fans and the way they treated him, i must admit i can hardly blame him.  I mean you have some that are moaning about his pre \ post match interviews FFS.  I liked PH and i felt he did a very good job and i'd have him back but i cant see it myself.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 27, 2020, 12:31pm; Reply: 94
I honestly think the fan issue is a non issue. He's been at three clubs since Town so will have seen the same issues at every club with some fans. There's nothing unique about the way he got treated here so I don't think that will be a problem.

The main problem i think will be whether he will feels he can get the assurances that he will be given the tools to succeed in the job
Posted by: aldi_01, December 27, 2020, 12:32pm; Reply: 95
Having spoken with PH during his time at town and after the fans were never the issue. He knew there were a few odd balls that didn’t like it because he didn’t blow smoke up their arses but his issue was well and truly with Fenty.

Could the consortium have contacted him and recognise that since 1997/98, PH is the only manager that created a team of players that wanted to play for him, wanted to be here and we’re connected to the fans.

You can question the quality of football but given our current plight we really can’t moan about anything.

Ask a Lincoln fan, they’ll tell you the cowleys didn’t play great football but it was effective beyond their wildest dreams.

Personally I’d hope Hurst stayed away, he did what he came to do, he was I roving us again and the owner showed his true colours. Don’t taint that Paul.

We can look forward and hopefully a new owner ties in with a new manager and a new beginning...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 27, 2020, 12:42pm; Reply: 96
If it is Hurst the players will be a lot fitter than what they have been which is something that will be an advantage in a relegation fight.
Posted by: buckstown, December 27, 2020, 12:43pm; Reply: 97
I don't want to be fair to JF but with the exception of Slade 2 his managerial appointments since 2010  have been greeted with great joy on here. Hurst, Bignot, Jolley and Holloway all got their worship threads and were applauded as great choices. Then they all fail in varying degrees because the common denominator remains in place.
If JF appoints our next manager it may look like a great choice but you know what will happen. We may scrape away from the trapdoor by the skin of our teeth this season but next season......
Posted by: the driver, December 27, 2020, 12:48pm; Reply: 98
Ian Holloway see Bignott I’m sorry guys but Hurst for me
Posted by: Withnail, December 27, 2020, 12:52pm; Reply: 99

Me too. Despite my initial reservations about "never going back" Buckley Mark II was undoubtedly a rip-roaring success.

We've also been well and truly backed into a corner with Holloway's unexpected exit so need to get someone in asap who can spot a player and persuade them to come amid the madness - and won't be "homesick".

The team Hurst built which lifted us out of the abyss was head and shoulders above this one. The only issue is it took him 4/5 years to build it and he had a cash injection from Operation Promotion.

It does leave a bitter taste taking a manager recently deemed not good enough for the Scunts but needs must.

If true, and he accepts welcome back Paul (with open arms if you manage to turn the oil tanker around and navigate us away from the rocks).

Posted by: Davec, December 27, 2020, 12:55pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from Meza

I Dont think PH fell out with the board i think if anything he wont come back cos of the fans and the way they treated him, i must admit i can hardly blame him.  I mean you have some that are moaning about his pre \ post match interviews FFS.  I liked PH and i felt he did a very good job and i'd have him back but i cant see it myself.

Hurst left because of the board, Fenty promised him a fitness coach upon promotion and then went back on his promise. Whilst Hurst had issue with a minority of fans he stated on several occasions this was only a minority
Posted by: toontown, December 27, 2020, 1:02pm; Reply: 101
I would be surprised if Hurst came back to work with fenty but he will be in a strong negotiating position initially to have a backroom staff etc that he wants. He is out of a job and knows the club and the league so may fancy his chances of being able to turn us around. Stranger things have happened in footy that's for sure. A short term deal may suit both parties in particular.

I hate fenty and co but from their point of view it's probably one of their best shots.

Staying in the league is more likely to result in the consortium maintaining their interest so hopefully more likely to result in fenty leaving.
Posted by: Meza, December 27, 2020, 1:17pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from Davec

Hurst left because of the board, Fenty promised him a fitness coach upon promotion and then went back on his promise. Whilst Hurst had issue with a minority of fans he stated on several occasions this was only a minority

Hurst left cos he was poached
Posted by: oochiad, December 27, 2020, 1:18pm; Reply: 103
Most managers worth their salt should be able to turn us around with the Jan transfer market and 28 games left.....I just can’t imagine Hurst would want to come back with Fenty still on the horizon....
Posted by: gytone, December 27, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 104
Don't really want Hurst back and I don't really think he'd come back to work under Fenty. I don't doubt he was poached but if he was happy under Fenty and everything was going well would he have left?. I'd go for Alexander and hopefully with the new consortium in charge.
Is the fact we've not heard anything good news or bad ??
Posted by: Ipswin, December 27, 2020, 1:26pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from oochiad
Most managers worth their salt should be able to turn us around with the Jan transfer market and 28 games left.....I just can’t imagine Hurst would want to come back with Fenty still on the horizon....

Hew might be a good manager but no one is going to turn the bunch of shite we have masquerading as footballers into a team that survives the drop

He could be useful next season in the Conference tho'

Posted by: Tommy, December 27, 2020, 1:27pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from Meza

Hurst left cos he was poached

Yeah, but he couldve said no. As said above, he left because of our board, and had several little digs at the honesty of our board in his early interviews at shrewsbury.
Posted by: Davec, December 27, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Tommy

Yeah, but he couldve said no. As said above, he left because of our board, and had several little digs at the honesty of our board in his early interviews at shrewsbury.

Beat me to it Tommy, I remember him saying he went to Shrewsbury to work with "honest people"
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 27, 2020, 2:21pm; Reply: 108
As I said yesterday Hurst is a safe pair of hands and we need that now more than ever.

Over the years I was delighted with Newell’s appointment, thought Slade returning was ok as he had no relegation on his CV and some reasonable success elsewhere and was over the moon when Holloway got the job so all in all it proves that whilst I might think I know a bit about football I am pretty clueless in identifying what will make a successful appointment as manager.

If the consortium were able to gain control I would go for the Cowleys as I believe there would be in place a long term vision they could get behind and whilst their football may not be easy on the eye I have decided that winning football matches playing crap football is better than watching a team losing as they try and play an attacking style that’s beyond them. It’s not like Cowleys sides don’t score goals and I tend to find if the ball keeps hitting the net you tend not to worry too much how it got there.

I doubt you would find many Ipswich fans agreeing with you.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 27, 2020, 2:23pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Ipswin

Hew might be a good manager but no one is going to turn the bunch of shite we have masquerading as footballers into a team that survives the drop

He could be useful next season in the Conference tho'

Christ. I don't want to spend at least another 4 years down there.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 27, 2020, 2:36pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Hagrid

Hurst replied I am not working for that dishonest Fenty bloke again.

BUT

I will speak to the new owners of they take over. ;)
Posted by: quebec38, December 27, 2020, 2:41pm; Reply: 111
I would love Hurst back, he was treated badly first time round by some fans as well as JF. It’s not easy getting a side promoted and play-off football is a lottery. Usually we were there or thereabouts and nobody wanted to wait 6 years but we got there eventually. Anyway, I don’t think he’d come back here now unless it was with a new owner and that doesn’t sound likely.

Forget the Cowley’s and Paul Cook, their stock is far higher than a job at Grimsby unfortunately.

TBH I think we could really struggle to find a name this time around that we’re happy with if Fenty stays. I don’t pay much attention to odds but Morais second fave is a bit odd and hopefully there is nothing to that. He looks like the kind of player we need to build our attack around if we’re to get out of this pickle.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 2:25pm