Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: davmariner, December 26, 2020, 1:12pm
[tweet] https://twitter.com/marinerstrust/status/1342814844525883392?s=21[/tweet]

Posted by: aldi_01, December 26, 2020, 1:15pm; Reply: 1
What about new trust members? Could now be a time to push for new members to ensure that maximum effect?
Posted by: Boris Johnson, December 26, 2020, 1:25pm; Reply: 2
Nice, pity they didnt ballot members in the past, The May situation would never have happened
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 26, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Nice, pity they didnt ballot members in the past, The May situation would never have happened

Sadly the last time anything was put to the members the members voted to give Fenty £200,000 worth of shares.

Join and vote leave!

(Can’t believe I wrote that 😆)
Posted by: codcheeky, December 26, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from aldi_01
What about new trust members? Could now be a time to push for new members to ensure that maximum effect?

I like many others joined the trust and heard little more, lost faith in it when it seemed too close to Fenty and let it lapse, I know they give their time and are volunteers and it’s not easy, but maybe they need to take some funds to set up a couple of paid posts to work on this side of things full time, if we expect the trust to represent us as supporters we need to be prepared to fund it and back it, however we need to be able to think they have the majority of fans interests at heart and are allowed the freedom to express those views without fear or favour
Posted by: MrFisherman, December 26, 2020, 1:30pm; Reply: 5
Is whoever wrote that statement must write Lioyd griffith's scripts because it was that comical 🤣🤣🤣
Posted by: Boris Johnson, December 26, 2020, 1:31pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Sadly the last time anything was put to the members the members voted to give Fenty £200,000 worth of shares.

Join and vote leave!

(Can’t believe I wrote that 😆)

Im a member already, depends what the ballot question is, if its whether they should relinquish board positions, that seems silly to me.  Appreciate the Trust has little leverage as it is, but to have none.

if its a question around the performance and credibility of the 2 board members, thats a different question to contemplate
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 26, 2020, 1:35pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Im a member already, depends what the ballot question is, if its whether they should relinquish board positions, that seems silly to me.  Appreciate the Trust has little leverage as it is, but to have none.

if its a question around the performance and credibility of the 2 board members, thats a different question to contemplate

The problem is that staying on the board would be seen as an endorsement of the current dictator regime.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 26, 2020, 1:52pm; Reply: 8
Excellent, just renewed my membership it's worth it to send a message.
Posted by: mimma, December 26, 2020, 2:02pm; Reply: 9
The two members that sit on the board are in an impossible position. If they jump in then they do so of there own back and run the risk of fans disagreeing.  If they wait to find out what we as members want they then get accused of sitting on the fence, doing nothing etc. Other than voicing their displeasure, and that of the fans, what else do you expect them to do when representing the whole of the trust?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 26, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 10
How many Town fans are members of the Trust? A tiny percentage.

Nothing the Trust will say or do will ever change my mind that Mr Fenty is the worst ever owner of GTFC and should step down.

This is what gets me down about member organisations - they think they wield more influence than is the case.

Then they argue - well join the Trust then. No, I don't want to join the bloody Trust and even if I did it would not make a scrap of difference at Fenty towers.

The wider Town fan base will show Mr Fenty he is not wanted at GTFC, and the only realistic way of outing him is a takeover from people with access to a great deal of investment.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 26, 2020, 3:56pm; Reply: 11

Nothing the Trust will say or do will ever change my mind that Mr Fenty is the worst ever owner of GTFC and should step down.

This is what gets me down about member organisations - they think they wield more influence than is the case.

Then they argue - well join the Trust then. No, I don't want to join the bloody Trust and even if I did it would not make a scrap of difference at Fenty towers.

The wider Town fan base will show Mr Fenty he is not wanted at GTFC, and the only realistic way of outing him is a takeover from people with access to a great deal of investment.

But they could also be the group to rally around if we want someone to get a financial campaign going to oust the board. They have far more knowledge of how the club runs than your average fan.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 26, 2020, 4:03pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ginnywings

But they could also be the group to rally around if we want someone to get a financial campaign going to oust the board. They have far more knowledge of how the club runs than your average fan.

If a high powered consortium of leading business people with access to enormous investment cannot oust him, I am pretty sure a well-meaning but nonetheless futile fans organisation could.

I am sure we all still urge the parties to come to a compromise to get the deal over the line as in my opinion at least, that is the best way to get rid of him whilst keeping the ship fairly steady.

A fans led group will be years of infighting and vitriol, and we have had a belly full of that already.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 26, 2020, 4:37pm; Reply: 13
The trust duo should step down.

Then the trust should contact Shutes, Stockdale and Petit and inform them the trust and vast majority of fans want them to take over from the cretin in charge.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 26, 2020, 5:15pm; Reply: 14
DO NOT RESIGN THE POSITIONS ON THE BOARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trust have rolled over once....DO NOT ...do it again.

The current situation is temporary...........the board positions are permanent.

DO NOT RESIGN THE POSITIONS ON THE BOARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mariner91, December 26, 2020, 5:17pm; Reply: 15
Stay on the board or else who knows what dodgy stuff they’ll push through. BUT the balloting should be along the lines of are you in favour of Fenty leaving the club then the trust need to take a vocal and public anti-Fenty stance
Posted by: Stadium, December 26, 2020, 5:55pm; Reply: 16

What is the current membership number?

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 26, 2020, 6:08pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Stadium

What is the current membership number?

Who knows? There’s probably many of us who acquired membership, like me, through season tickets, and don’t know where they stand.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 26, 2020, 6:15pm; Reply: 18
Stay on the board. Publicly oppose Fenty’s ownership.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 26, 2020, 6:39pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from mariner91
Stay on the board or else who knows what dodgy stuff they’ll push through. BUT the balloting should be along the lines of are you in favour of Fenty leaving the club then the trust need to take a vocal and public anti-Fenty stance

Dodgy stuff? You mean like accepting a crook into the boardroom.

They should have stood down when that twit was brought in.
Posted by: Croxton, December 26, 2020, 7:42pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from arryarryarry

Dodgy stuff? You mean like accepting a crook into the boardroom.

They should have stood down when that twit was brought in.

I don't know why you assume the Trust reps could have known everything about May's dealings with Fenty. They may well have had reservations but were hampered by confidentiality issues. If they had spoken publicly they could well have been voted off, leaving fans totally unrepresented.

The ballot has much more weight if the two seats on the board are retained and they have a clear mandate in favour of the club sale, manager appointment and chairmanship.
There are many avenues of attack available. EFL scrutiny of the club's governorship, Shareholders meetings, Fans forums, boycotts, peaceful protests, FOI requests and much more, preferably under one banner.

The Trust reps are our voice on the inside. They do not need to be the principal actors in a campaign. This has to proceed on several levels, the more local, the better. If the friends of Fenty think that the heat on social media is mainly driven by bolshy exiles and that only locals truly appreciate how Fenty 'saved' the club then a wave of new Trust memberships from N.Lincs would be powerful and a driver for local media coverage.

Keep the Seats!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 26, 2020, 7:47pm; Reply: 21
As ever you have hit the nail on the head Croxton.

The Trust needs to be driven by home-based fans. Not become a project led by us nostalgic exiles.
Posted by: Stadium, December 26, 2020, 8:44pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who knows? There’s probably many of us who acquired membership, like me, through season tickets, and don’t know where they stand.

Well I'm sure somebody associated with them either here or externally could produce the number?

Posted by: moosey_club, December 26, 2020, 9:00pm; Reply: 23
Just a thought.......could this be driven by the pro Fenty part of the trust ?   If they resign those positions now it would work very well for JF,Day & Co wouldnt it ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 26, 2020, 11:42pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from moosey_club
Just a thought.......could this be driven by the pro Fenty part of the trust ?   If they resign those positions now it would work very well for JF,Day & Co wouldnt it ?

Could be. Your option to make your mind up and vote.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 27, 2020, 1:45pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Croxton

I don't know why you assume the Trust reps could have known everything about May's dealings with Fenty. They may well have had reservations but were hampered by confidentiality issues. If they had spoken publicly they could well have been voted off, leaving fans totally unrepresented.

The ballot has much more weight if the two seats on the board are retained and they have a clear mandate in favour of the club sale, manager appointment and chairmanship.
There are many avenues of attack available. EFL scrutiny of the club's governorship, Shareholders meetings, Fans forums, boycotts, peaceful protests, FOI requests and much more, preferably under one banner.

The Trust reps are our voice on the inside. They do not need to be the principal actors in a campaign. This has to proceed on several levels, the more local, the better. If the friends of Fenty think that the heat on social media is mainly driven by bolshy exiles and that only locals truly appreciate how Fenty 'saved' the club then a wave of new Trust memberships from N.Lincs would be powerful and a driver for local media coverage.

Keep the Seats!

I never mentioned anything about John Fenty's dealings with this crook, I said about allowing a crook into the boardroom and didn't Mr Day say that all the board members knew about his past.

The moment he was accepted into Blundell Park and that they knew about this bloke's criminal past and that he wanted to invest in GTFC was the time they should have left the board and made it clear why they did so.

Once they had left the board they could have said why and the confidentialty agreement would haven't applied.
Posted by: Stadium, December 27, 2020, 2:34pm; Reply: 26
So does anybody know the membership numbers for a group which could have potential influence & input into any sort of takeover??
Posted by: Perkins, December 27, 2020, 5:06pm; Reply: 27
Although im a member of the Trust, i have never taken any active involvement, and perhaps like other Members i should have done so.
Ive spent half my life being involved in the machinations of commitees, elections, ballots, and all that goes with it, i had decided i'd had enough and didnt wish to be involved with it anymore. whats the point of being up aginst the barricade, only to look back and find the support you were promised has gone? It's no good griping and whinging about the people who were elected to a position if we couldn't care enough to be bothered to cast our vote, and that includes myself.
No organisation can run without the involvement of it's Members, otherwise it becomes a Dictatorship, and we have all seen that happening at our Club.
Some people want positions in an organisation for their own self interest, some because they feel they should, but in my experience most agree to do it because no one else is willing to do it. I don't know about the present Trust Committee, I don't know them, perhaps I should, but, we are where we are with two members on the Board, only there as a result of handing over to JF the shares that were freely given to the Trust by Michael Parker, rather than letting JF get his hands on them.

Unfortunately he got them anyway, I didnt vote for that either, perhaps I should have cast my vote then, but I didnt, but I will this time, just to keep those two Trust Members on the board, whoever they are now, or who they may be in the future, at the very least to have some sort of input on behalf of the supporters they are there to represent, and to watch over proceedings, otherwise JF will have won, and that gift of shares to the Trust will have been in vain.
But it's also the duty of Trust Members to become more active, or, "Who Will Watch The Watchers"

Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 27, 2020, 5:14pm; Reply: 28
Well said Perkins
Posted by: ginnywings, December 27, 2020, 5:25pm; Reply: 29
Seeing as they have to write to some of the members to ballot them, we could have new owners by then given the state of the postal service right now.
Posted by: Stadium, December 27, 2020, 5:28pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings
Seeing as they have to write to some of the members to ballot them, we could have new owners by then given the state of the postal service right now.

Agree.
Could bypass them completely.

Posted by: Yoda, December 27, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 31
Is the ballot for how to give 200 grand away for nothing.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 27, 2020, 8:13pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Perkins
Although im a member of the Trust, i have never taken any active involvement, and perhaps like other Members i should have done so.
Ive spent half my life being involved in the machinations of commitees, elections, ballots, and all that goes with it, i had decided i'd had enough and didnt wish to be involved with it anymore. whats the point of being up aginst the barricade, only to look back and find the support you were promised has gone? It's no good griping and whinging about the people who were elected to a position if we couldn't care enough to be bothered to cast our vote, and that includes myself.
No organisation can run without the involvement of it's Members, otherwise it becomes a Dictatorship, and we have all seen that happening at our Club.
Some people want positions in an organisation for their own self interest, some because they feel they should, but in my experience most agree to do it because no one else is willing to do it. I don't know about the present Trust Committee, I don't know them, perhaps I should, but, we are where we are with two members on the Board, only there as a result of handing over to JF the shares that were freely given to the Trust by Michael Parker, rather than letting JF get his hands on them.

Unfortunately he got them anyway, I didnt vote for that either, perhaps I should have cast my vote then, but I didnt, but I will this time, just to keep those two Trust Members on the board, whoever they are now, or who they may be in the future, at the very least to have some sort of input on behalf of the supporters they are there to represent, and to watch over proceedings, otherwise JF will have won, and that gift of shares to the Trust will have been in vain.
But it's also the duty of Trust Members to become more active, or, "Who Will Watch The Watchers"

Well they didn't have much influence in stopping that criminal getting into B.P.

Or didn't they think the supporters would be outraged?
Posted by: MrFisherman, December 27, 2020, 8:15pm; Reply: 33
I'll send the Trust some carrier pigeons  :)
Posted by: Perkins, December 27, 2020, 8:25pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well they didn't have much influence in stopping that criminal getting into B.P.

Or didn't they think the supporters would be outraged?

Choosing to pick out one singular part of a sentence is quite pedantic, but much to be expected.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 27, 2020, 8:39pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Perkins

Choosing to pick out one singular part of a sentence is quite pedantic, but much to be expected.

It was a serious question to a point you made but obviously cannot back your statement up by answering it.
Posted by: SomeSanity, December 27, 2020, 9:00pm; Reply: 36
I'm quite indifferent about the Trust right now but,

It wasn't the Trust that handed the shares over it was the membership. I am a lifetime member of the Trust and voted in favour (regrettably) of the transfer. I was under the impression that JF  threatened to sell our star players unless he got what he wanted. Like a lot of fans, I panicked and voted in favour.

How do we know they didn't play a part in the 'May Gate' uncovering?

We know they have certainly played a part in facilitating talks between the Day and the consortium. If the takeover is successful then the Trust will have played a part in the clubs new era.

If the takeover is to be completed then naturally it suits the Trust to be part of this new board.

I think by not publically outing May they have shown the prospective new owners they can keep to an NDA.

Perhaps someone from the Trust could clarify, is there a maximum number of years someone can serve on the Trust board?
Posted by: Perkins, December 27, 2020, 9:28pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from arryarryarry

It was a serious question to a point you made but obviously cannot back your statement up by answering it.

I'm sorry mate if i misinterpreted your post , the point you referred to is not something i considered in my original post about the trust and i cant answer it, only the Trust Board Members can, but i would doubt that they had much to do with May's invitation, but everything to do with alerting certain people about it.
I would also assume that the person who had been a guest of Her Majesty was also by invitation a guest of His Majesty King John.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:13am