Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: immariner, December 23, 2020, 11:57pm
Is it possible this could all be waiting on Dembele's potential exit from Posh, with Town (Fenty) due 25% of any fee?

Figures of £5m+ have been banded about previously.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/rangers-and-celtic-are-among-clubs-chasing-peterborough-united-phenom-siriki-dembele-bids-clubs-youngest-stars-are-batted-away-3077317
Posted by: toontown, December 24, 2020, 12:02am; Reply: 1
Did we really get 200k for him? I thought it was half that but my memory is shot. Maybe it was 100k up front and more depending on appearances which will obviously have been reached.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 24, 2020, 8:08am; Reply: 2
Peterborough don't sell their star players in January. It will be the summer.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, December 24, 2020, 8:10am; Reply: 3
Form falling as we approach winter.  Sound familiar?
Posted by: denni266, December 24, 2020, 8:12am; Reply: 4
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Peterborough don't sell their star players in January. It will be the summer.

They probably would if the price was right
Posted by: buckstown, December 24, 2020, 8:13am; Reply: 5
And they're talking £2m not 5
shame because £5m fee would just about pay off the dear leader
Posted by: Abdul19, December 24, 2020, 8:14am; Reply: 6
Bennett was sold in January. Mind you that was 9 years ago.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 24, 2020, 8:16am; Reply: 7
Given the childish attitude and arrogance of Fenty I hope they sell him for peanuts, if at all...

The fact Fenty is even thinking about hanging around waiting for this deal to go through worries me. Surely, if he’s the so called supporter of the club he so desperately claims then him leaving is more important. He sells the club to folk with ideas and half a brain (half more than anyone at the club has now) and if and when the Dembele money drops the new owners can logically use it to invest be it in players, player development or training facilities.

If John is hanging around for that does he benefit personally? Any money the club make is the clubs, not his...
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 24, 2020, 8:43am; Reply: 8
Quoted from denni266

They probably would if the price was right

They wouldn't. Why would a well run, financial stable club sell their best player in January? Especially when they are in the running for promotion to the Championship. What sort of club owner would sell their best players in the middle of a season? ****cough John Fenty sold Ryan Bennett*** Would make no sense. They sold Ivan Toney for an initial £5m rising to £10m in the summer. There is no way they will sell Dembele before the summer.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 24, 2020, 9:04am; Reply: 9
Dembele has 18 months left on his contract. He is worth much more in January than he will be in the summer with 12 months left.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 24, 2020, 9:21am; Reply: 10
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Dembele has 18 months left on his contract. He is worth much more in January than he will be in the summer with 12 months left.

Even if that was true, which I'm not sure it is, why would Peterborough sell him now? They are trying to get promoted. Selling him in January might derail that promotion bid.

The Premier League solidarity to payment to League 1 clubs is £700,000 per club per season. In the Championship it's £4.65m per club per season.

And the EFL TV deal money is split Championship 72% - League One 17% - League Two 11%, so their EFL basic TV money would increase by over 300% also and that's before match fees from a likely increase in their games being live on Sky Sports (£100k per match for the home team & £10k per match for the away team).

So would PUFC really sell Dembele in January on the basis they might get £250,000 less for him in the summer when, if promoted, will be inline for an immediate increase in TV and solidarity payments of around £6m,

Of course they won't sell him. It's a ridiculous idea.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 24, 2020, 9:48am; Reply: 11
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Even if that was true, which I'm not sure it is, why would Peterborough sell him now? They are trying to get promoted. Selling him in January might derail that promotion bid.

The Premier League solidarity to payment to League 1 clubs is £700,000 per club per season. In the Championship it's £4.65m per club per season.

And the EFL TV deal money is split Championship 72% - League One 17% - League Two 11%, so their EFL basic TV money would increase by over 300% also and that's before match fees from a likely increase in their games being live on Sky Sports (£100k per match for the home team & £10k per match for the away team).

So would PUFC really sell Dembele in January on the basis they might get £250,000 less for him in the summer when, if promoted, will be inline for an immediate increase in TV and solidarity payments of around £6m,

Of course they won't sell him. It's a ridiculous idea.

Dembele may force their hand. He’s got it in him to push for a move.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 5, 2021, 10:03am; Reply: 12
Player has now submitted a transfer request and won’t be going anywhere apparently until ‘Their valuation is net’

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-united-star-hands-transfer-request-3084747%3famp
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 5, 2021, 10:24am; Reply: 13
In my head I've written off any sell-on fee for Dembele.

If we got a bit of footballing fortune and it paid Fenty off in one swoop, I'd take that.  It means his links to the club are ended as soon as possible.

That said, I'd bloody love it if we paid him the full amount he wants in 2p's.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 5, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 14
Posh now have the classic problem - a player they want to keep who is playing well but who has put in a transfer request and wants to leave. The danger is that if he doesn't get sold in January he will hang around the club having a negative effect on everyone else. It's less likely that he will accept he's there until June and play out of his skin to get the move he thinks he deserves.

If I was their manager I would be telling the board 'he doesn't want to be here, cash in now while you can'.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, January 5, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 15
Must have improved 200% since leaving here, id have him and Clifton as the 2 worst players Ive ever seen
Posted by: RonMariner, January 5, 2021, 10:57am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Must have improved 200% since leaving here, id have him and Clifton as the 2 worst players Ive ever seen

FFS!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 5, 2021, 11:01am; Reply: 17
Quoted from RonMariner

FFS!

Don't pander to his needs Ron, he's obviously suffering from attention deficit syndrome!!..
Posted by: ginnywings, January 5, 2021, 11:02am; Reply: 18
Quoted from RonMariner

FFS!

Ignore him. He clearly just posts sh1te for effect. Pretty sad really.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 5, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 19
Mind you, that post was comedy gold. I will give him credit for that!
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, January 5, 2021, 11:07am; Reply: 20

I take it you never saw the 39 minutes of Antony Straker then.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 5, 2021, 11:19am; Reply: 21
If his contract is up in June, he isn't worth that much when teams can get him for free in the summer, unless Posh have an option for another year.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 5, 2021, 12:10pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

I take it you never saw the 39 minutes of Antony Straker then.

Or Murray Jones!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 5, 2021, 2:01pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
If his contract is up in June, he isn't worth that much when teams can get him for free in the summer, unless Posh have an option for another year.

He’s got 18 months left I think.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 5, 2021, 2:23pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He’s got 18 months left I think.

Yeah, he’s contracted until June 2022. And good luck to his agent trying to bully MacAnthony isn’t selling him now. PUFC have never sold a top player in January apart from Ryan Bennett and that was only because they got him back on loan for the rest of the season.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 5, 2021, 3:01pm; Reply: 25
All the sites I've looked at have him as contracted until June 2021. Left here 2018 on a 3 year deal.
Posted by: buckstown, January 5, 2021, 3:17pm; Reply: 26
The posh forum thinks he's out of contract in June as well
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 5, 2021, 3:25pm; Reply: 27

18 months left on his contract according to DerbyshireLive:

“There will always be interest in players like Siriki, but we don’t have to sell him. We have him for another 18 months and we’d rather he stayed until the summer when we can reassess his situation.”

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-peterborough-dembele-transfer-january-4835717
Posted by: ginnywings, January 5, 2021, 3:36pm; Reply: 28
Well whatever his contract length, he seems to be pulling the same stunt as he did here. One guy on their forum said he had seen furloughed scousers work harder than him.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 5, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yeah, he’s contracted until June 2022. And good luck to his agent trying to bully MacAnthony isn’t selling him now. PUFC have never sold a top player in January apart from Ryan Bennett and that was only because they got him back on loan for the rest of the season.

They only got Bennett on loan for a month, he played 8 games for Norwich at the end of that season.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 5, 2021, 7:33pm; Reply: 30

Funny how professional football managers disagree with your assessment of Dembele. But what do they know.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 5, 2021, 7:56pm; Reply: 31
It does surprise me that he's gone onto better things than us. He had talent for sure, he had the really purple patch in the autumn if I remember right and played really, really well but when it cold and it got hard in a relegation battle he completely went missing. He barely played under Jolley and Jolley seemed keen to shift him on quickly, so I can't think his attitude is beyond reproach.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 5, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 32
I thought it was £100k he left us for. If he does go for £2m, then we would get something of the order £475k.

That would come in rather handy. I would spend the whole lot on players.
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 5, 2021, 9:27pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from promotion plaice

18 months left on his contract according to DerbyshireLive:

“There will always be interest in players like Siriki, but we don’t have to sell him. We have him for another 18 months and we’d rather he stayed until the summer when we can reassess his situation.”

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-peterborough-dembele-transfer-january-4835717

But that's assuming they trigger his extra year, surely they wouldn't be so financially frivolous to just give a star player another year on the same wages. What kind of a basket case club would do that?
Posted by: Poojah, January 5, 2021, 9:55pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Funny how professional football managers disagree with your assessment of Dembele. But what do they know.

Quite right Kingston, old pal. Russell Slade is a football management demigod.

;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 6, 2021, 12:47am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Poojah

Quite right Kingston, old pal. Russell Slade is a football management demigod.

;)

Well at least he’d persuaded plenty of people to pay him to do it.

And then there’s whoever it was at Posh who signed him, and the rumoured (Championship?) clubs after Tenbellies now. I’d rely on their judgement of footballers more than anyone on here. And especially BorisJohnson.
Posted by: Poojah, January 6, 2021, 8:24am; Reply: 36

Well at least he’d persuaded plenty of people to pay him to do it.

And then there’s whoever it was at Posh who signed him, and the rumoured (Championship?) clubs after Tenbellies now. I’d rely on their judgement of footballers more than anyone on here. And especially BorisJohnson.

Yeah, was only kidding. To be fair, he also signed Michael Reddy, Gary Jones, Rob Jones, Justin Whittle. Steve Mildenhall etc.

Oh, and err...Sam Kelly. Definitely better first time round.
Posted by: Garth, January 6, 2021, 8:51am; Reply: 37

I accept that a forum is all about opinions but your statements are just about mischief making and bear nothing to reality, and as such in my opinion can do nothing but harm to the club.
Sir your a bounder
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 6, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, was only kidding. To be fair, he also signed Michael Reddy, Gary Jones, Rob Jones, Justin Whittle. Steve Mildenhall etc.

Oh, and err...Sam Kelly. Definitely better first time round.

Wasn't Sam Kelly a Wilkinson recommendation having worked with him and Killip at Norwich?
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 6, 2021, 9:40am; Reply: 39
Apparently, Rangers are prepared to bid up to 5 million for him.  
Posted by: Abdul19, January 6, 2021, 9:57am; Reply: 40
Ooh, old firm siblings
Posted by: Poojah, January 6, 2021, 10:09am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Abdul19
Ooh, old firm siblings

Celtic interested too apparently. Personally, I think £5m feels a more realistic figure than £2m; perhaps not quite that high but they sold Ivan Toney, also aged 24 (if Dembele's birth certificate is to be believed) for £5m in the summer. Granted, he's currently top scorer in the Championship and looks good value for that, but I don't see Peterborough letting him go for a couple of mill - particularly with a quarter of it going to us.

They haven't sold a key player for less than £2m since Lee Tomlin seven years ago, so I'd be very surprised if it was anything remotely that low. That's not their model.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 6, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Poojah

Celtic interested too apparently. Personally, I think £5m feels a more realistic figure than £2m; perhaps not quite that high but they sold Ivan Toney, also aged 24 (if Dembele's birth certificate is to be believed) for £5m in the summer. Granted, he's currently top scorer in the Championship and looks good value for that, but I don't see Peterborough letting him go for a couple of mill - particularly with a quarter of it going to us.

They haven't sold a key player for less than £2m since Lee Tomlin seven years ago, so I'd be very surprised if it was anything remotely that low. That's not their model.

They haven't sold a key player for less than £2m for 7 years and here we are offering key players reduced terms so leave for free.
Posted by: You stripes UTM, January 6, 2021, 10:53am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Poojah

£5m rising to £10m with add-ons!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 6, 2021, 11:06am; Reply: 44
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Wasn't Sam Kelly a Wilkinson recommendation having worked with him and Killip at Norwich?

Sam Kelly really was terrible wasn't he! now playing for Kings lynn...

Killip was ok when called upon i seem to remember, and now 1st choice at Hartlepool who are 2nd in the National league
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 6, 2021, 11:57am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Sam Kelly really was terrible wasn't he! now playing for Kings lynn...

Killip was ok when called upon i seem to remember, and now 1st choice at Hartlepool who are 2nd in the National league

Kelly was awful. Must have a good agent to still be playing "elite" sport.

Killip was ok I thought. Never going to replace McKeown and believe he's represented England C since he left us.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 6, 2021, 1:32pm; Reply: 46
Lord almighty, Kelly was gash. Definitely one of the worst to pull on the shirt in the last few years.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 25, 2021, 2:55pm; Reply: 47
Money on the way to Grimsby Town..... (Confused)

[tweet]1353716554597363718[/tweet]
Posted by: RonMariner, January 25, 2021, 3:06pm; Reply: 48
About an hour after the Port Vale game under Jolley when Berritt snatched a late equaliser, I saw Dembele and Rose in the Sainsbury's store in St Peters avenue. So I went up to him and said what a fighting performance it was. I then asked if I could have a selfie with them.

They both looked at me, I mean i was 60 at the time, and I hastily added 'Er.. its for my son......'

They laughed but did the selfie anyway. What a sad sodomist I am. My son wasn't amused!
Posted by: moosey_club, January 25, 2021, 5:19pm; Reply: 49
I presume you cropped the picture to cut Berrett out when you got home
Posted by: Poojah, January 25, 2021, 5:41pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from moosey_club
I presume you cropped the picture to cut Berrett out when you got home

Why do that when he’d just scored a crucial late equaliser? A very important goal in the context of that season.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 25, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 51

You don’t go, Imp.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 25, 2021, 7:53pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Poojah

Why do that when he’d just scored a crucial late equaliser? A very important goal in the context of that season.

Last night I took a trip down GTFC memory lane on you tube......partly out of frustration of our current position and performances and partly out of curiosity.

Having watched a few classics highlights , West Ham, Sunderland, Leicester, Jevons@Anfield I jumped to our "first game back" ....Morecambe...now this was partly to see us win a game but also part curiousity as I couldn't remember the starting 11 that day.

And who stood out as being the most incompetent player and also wearing bright yellow boots to the bargain...James fking Berrett. Had genuinely forgotten he existed until I watched the highlights...as I had Sean McAllister .....jesus what an engine room that was with Luke Summerfield in there as well.

It dawned on me as I watched......we just havnt progressed an inch since we returned to the League...which watching that line up says something. Are we on permanent manager no 6 now since returning to the League ?
God I hope this takeover goes through and changes the way this club is run forever so people in the future dont have to ask a player of James Berretts standing for a fking selfie.

Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2021, 8:27pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from moosey_club

Last night I took a trip down GTFC memory lane on you tube......partly out of frustration of our current position and performances and partly out of curiosity.

Having watched a few classics highlights , West Ham, Sunderland, Leicester, Jevons@Anfield I jumped to our "first game back" ....Morecambe...now this was partly to see us win a game but also part curiousity as I couldn't remember the starting 11 that day.

And who stood out as being the most incompetent player and also wearing bright yellow boots to the bargain...James fking Berrett. Had genuinely forgotten he existed until I watched the highlights...as I had Sean McAllister .....jesus what an engine room that was with Luke Summerfield in there as well.

It dawned on me as I watched......we just havnt progressed an inch since we returned to the League...which watching that line up says something. Are we on permanent manager no 6 now since returning to the League ?
God I hope this takeover goes through and changes the way this club is run forever so people in the future dont have to ask a player of James Berretts standing for a fking selfie.

That's all true but the poster never said he had a selfie with Berrett, but with Rose and Dembele. He said it was after the game Berrett scored in, which narrows the actual game down no end.  ;)
Posted by: Davec, January 25, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from moosey_club

I actually thought Berrett played quite well in that first game against Morecambe, and having just watched the same highlights as you have I still think he had a decent game that day.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 25, 2021, 8:43pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from moosey_club

Not only have we not progressed, we’ve regressed.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 25, 2021, 8:52pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Davec

I actually thought Berrett played quite well in that first game against Morecambe, and having just watched the same highlights as you have I still think he had a decent game that day.

So the several attempts/chances he had that he blazed over the bar ??
The guy was terrible.

Posted by: moosey_club, January 25, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from ginnywings

That's all true but the poster never said he had a selfie with Berrett, but with Rose and Dembele. He said it was after the game Berrett scored in, which narrows the actual game down no end.  ;)

;D ;D ;D

So he did, ooops ,  .......anyway ....fck off with your "facts" nothing to do with you.....my point still stands...Berrett was gash.  :P

Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2021, 9:32pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from moosey_club

;D ;D ;D

So he did, ooops ,  .......anyway ....fck off with your "facts" nothing to do with you.....my point still stands...Berrett was gash.  :P

Was protecting the poor guys honour from a terrible slur.  ;)

Yes, Berrett was gash, I totally agree.
Posted by: Davec, January 25, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from moosey_club

So the several attempts/chances he had that he blazed over the bar ??
The guy was terrible.

I'm not saying he was good for us overall as overall he was excrement, i just thought he played well in his first game for us
Posted by: moosey_club, January 26, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 60
Got there in the end...we all agree he was sh1t for us.
Posted by: psgmariner, January 26, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 61
The window slams shut on Monday, February 1, 2021. The cut-off point for deals is 11pm that night.

Really hope someone panics (looking at you Celtic and Sheff Utd) and pays over the odds for him this week.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 26, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Davec

I'm not saying he was good for us overall as overall he was excrement, i just thought he played well in his first game for us

In pre-season and his first game, he looked good. Then was absolutely anonymous for the majority of the time, with the only conspicuous moments being mistakes.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 26, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 63

Not only have we not progressed, we’ve regressed.

So we’ve actually got better at being rubbish then, somewhere in there, there is a positive!
Posted by: Bigdog, January 26, 2021, 12:47pm; Reply: 64
James Berrett, at 32, at what should be the prime time of a central midfielder's career, plying his trade at Buxton. Just another one in a long list of players who never get another EFL club after leaving us .My god we've signed some shite over the past six years..
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Gaffer58

So we’ve actually got better at being rubbish then, somewhere in there, there is a positive!

We've gone from intermittently poor last season, to consistently poor this season.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 26, 2021, 1:20pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from ginnywings

Was protecting the poor guys honour from a terrible slur.  ;)

Yes, Berrett was gash, I totally agree.

Thank you  ;)

I embarrassed myself enough asking Dembele and Rose, Asking Berritt for a selfie is a bridge too far even for a sad sack like me.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 26, 2021, 2:03pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Gaffer58

I like your thinking Gaffer. Fenty made us great at being rubbish.
Posted by: ska face, April 11, 2021, 10:45am; Reply: 68
Another 2 goals yesterday takes him to 11 for the season plus 10 assists. Peterborough 3 off top with a game in hand, 5 points clear of the playoffs.

His next 6 matches could be massive for us next season.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 11, 2021, 1:25pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from arryarryarry
If his contract runs out in June this year and he is not under 24 years of age, can't he just sodomist off to another club with no fee involved?

Posh seem to think they have another year on his contract, from memory.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 11, 2021, 1:30pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Heisenberg

Posh seem to think they have another year on his contract, from memory.

Yep, just spotted they have an option to extend a year.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 11, 2021, 2:11pm; Reply: 71
Whatever happens they are savvy enough not to miss out on a good transfer fee if he goes.

Unlike a certain club I could name they are not stupid enough to let their best players leave for free.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 11, 2021, 2:27pm; Reply: 72
They just keep on doing it. Their latest star striker Clarke-Harris is attracting attention and rumoured to be on the shopping list of W.B.A. for a fee of 5 million.

Shows what can be done if you have people on the board who know footballers as well as balance sheets. Speculate to accumulate.

Boils my p1ss when I think about it.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 11, 2021, 2:43pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from ginnywings
They just keep on doing it. Their latest star striker Clarke-Harris is attracting attention and rumoured to be on the shopping list of W.B.A. for a fee of 5 million.

Shows what can be done if you have people on the board who know footballers as well as balance sheets. Speculate to accumulate.

Boils my p1ss when I think about it.

You have hit the nail on the head there.

The one time under Fenty when we invested significantly in a player (Bogle £50k) we made three quarter of a million selling him 18 months later. Even then it was the fans funding it through operation promotion.

Fenty just does not seem to grasp the concept that investing in decent players can bring success on the pitch, which is the thing most likely to improve the finances of the club in the long run.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 11, 2021, 3:26pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from RonMariner

You have hit the nail on the head there.

The one time under Fenty when we invested significantly in a player (Bogle £50k) we made three quarter of a million selling him 18 months later. Even then it was the fans funding it through operation promotion.

Fenty just does not seem to grasp the concept that investing in decent players can bring success on the pitch, which is the thing most likely to improve the finances of the club in the long run.

More anti Fenty propaganda being spouted and I just wont have it......
Operation Promotion was rubbish and the money raised from it wasnt spent on Bogle....it was spent on fragrant pineapple chunks for mens urinals and a sink for the female referees.

Please stick to facts otherwise we may be shut down.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from immariner
Is it possible this could all be waiting on Dembele's potential exit from Posh, with Town (Fenty) due 25% of any fee?

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/rangers-and-celtic-are-among-clubs-chasing-peterborough-united-phenom-siriki-dembele-bids-clubs-youngest-stars-are-batted-away-3077317

The period of time built into the contract of sale, by which we could have benefitted from a sell on % has now expired. So, in the event Posh sell Dembele, we no longer receive a fee.

So this post is nothing other that anti John Fenty mumbo jumbo again
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 11, 2021, 4:39pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

The period of time built into the contract of sale, by which we could have benefitted from a sell on % has now expired. So, in the event Posh sell Dembele, we no longer receive a fee.

I am sure you are on a wind up with that comment but if it transpires we get nothing from any Dembele sale, that sums our outgoing board of directors up.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I am sure you are on a wind up with that comment but if it transpires we get nothing from any Dembele sale, that sums our outgoing board of directors up.

Even when he tries to defend Fenty he ends up making him look worse !

With friends like Fills Notches, who needs enemies. 😂
Posted by: forza ivano, April 11, 2021, 5:27pm; Reply: 78

perhaps you could illuminate us as to how you know this.  Your chum, Pen Penfras, is not keen on people spreading falsehoods about the present regime!

ps Filipe's sanctimonious arrogance and his keenness on telling us how important & successful he is, reminds me of that old poster who used to wind everyone up with a similar approach - seem to remember he knew everything because he was incredibly successful and played golf with the upper echelons of local business society. Anyone remember his name? perhaps Filipe is that bloke's reincarnation?
Posted by: ginnywings, April 11, 2021, 5:31pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from forza ivano

perhaps you could illuminate us as to how you know this.  Your chum, Pen Penfras, is not keen on people spreading falsehoods about the present regime!

ps Filipe's sanctimonious arrogance and his keenness on telling us how important & successful he is, reminds me of that old poster who used to wind everyone up with a similar approach - seem to remember he knew everything because he was incredibly successful and played golf with the upper echelons of local business society. Anyone remember his name? perhaps Filipe is that bloke's reincarnation?

Is that the guy who had barbeques with local football managers?

Can't remember his name but remember he was full of shoite.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 5:35pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Not a wind up at all. The last January transfer window was the final transfer window that applied to any sell on clauses in that particular players sale agreement.

It’s not unusual to build time limits on sell on clauses. into sale agreements, they are very rarely indefinite. Clubs and supporters cannot grumble if their former player is sold beyond the sell on clause period.

But let’s be clear here. That’s not what the original poster intended with his post. What he intended to do was to completely fabricate a story with untruth, to further damage John Fenty’s reputation. So typical of social network, so typical of the rhetoric and lies that have been spouted on this message board. Absolute zero in substance, and quite frankly someone on this page needs to start deleting this types of damaging accusations  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 11, 2021, 5:56pm; Reply: 81

Not a wind up at all. The last January transfer window was the final transfer window that applied to any sell on clauses in that particular players sale agreement.

It’s not unusual to build time limits on sell on clauses. into sale agreements, they are very rarely indefinite. Clubs and supporters cannot grumble if their former player is sold beyond the sell on clause period.

But let’s be clear here. That’s not what the original poster intended with his post. What he intended to do was to completely fabricate a story with untruth, to further damage John Fenty’s reputation. So typical of social network, so typical of the rhetoric and lies that have been spouted on this message board. Absolute zero in substance, and quite frankly someone on this page needs to start deleting this types of damaging accusations  

It's also common for there to be a sell-on on top of a sell-on until the chain is broken. If this is true, it goes down as yet another example of poor management under Fenty.

https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/sport/football/fc-halifax-town-fleetwood-chairman-says-town-will-benefit-vardy-sale-1232677
Posted by: smokey111, April 11, 2021, 5:58pm; Reply: 82

Genuine question. Do you feel JF made many mistakes during his stewardship?
Posted by: Mikey_345, April 11, 2021, 6:09pm; Reply: 83

Do enlighten us all how the you would have inside knowledge of a player sale and any agreements we entered in too......

You’re full of it Phil!
Posted by: Green27, April 11, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 84

Speaking of damaging accusations isn’t this the same? I doubt Mr Principle Blunder would like you throwing information out in to the world which is either A private and not for public consumption or B a complete falsehood.

If it’s true it is completely Mr Principle Blunder and £3grand chairman in a nutshell. Let’s hope we get a friendly out of it.
Posted by: DB, April 11, 2021, 6:18pm; Reply: 85

Only somebody present at the signing would know this; or somebody who knows what the contract said ie actually read it, or a custodian of it.

You tell us that you have no connection with Fenty and that you are merely a supporter like the rest of us. So how did you come by this information?

Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 6:19pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from smokey111

Genuine question. Do you feel JF made many mistakes during his stewardship?

Absolutely he has. The man who never made a mistake never made anything
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Mikey_345

Do enlighten us all how the you would have inside knowledge of a player sale and any agreements we entered in too......

You’re full of it Phil!

I couldn’t possibly comment on how I know this. Sorry to disappoint, but I can categorically tell you that it is fact
Posted by: Davec, April 11, 2021, 6:23pm; Reply: 88

I couldn’t possibly comment on how I know this. Sorry to disappoint, but I can categorically tell you that it is fact

Why can't you possibly comment on how you know it?

You 100% have connections to a director at the very least
Posted by: Mikey_345, April 11, 2021, 6:24pm; Reply: 89

You talk utter crap.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Green27

Speaking of damaging accusations isn’t this the same? I doubt Mr Principle Blunder would like you throwing information out in to the world which is either A private and not for public consumption or B a complete falsehood.

If it’s true it is completely Mr Principle Blunder and £3grand chairman in a nutshell. Let’s hope we get a friendly out of it.

Hey let me tell you, that I have no loyalty to John Fenty. Why would I have?

But also let me clarify that informing you of the nature of the Dembele situation has nothing to do with information that has come to me from John, Ian or anyone at GTFC. There is more than one party involved in the Dembele sale agreement and the activity since then. The nature of the sell on clause is clearly not a matter of privacy, as it’s out there.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 11, 2021, 7:19pm; Reply: 91

Hey let me tell you, that I have no loyalty to John Fenty. Why would I have?

But also let me clarify that informing you of the nature of the Dembele situation has nothing to do with information that has come to me from John, Ian or anyone at GTFC. There is more than one party involved in the Dembele sale agreement and the activity since then. The nature of the sell on clause is clearly not a matter of privacy, as it’s out there.

One thing I hope to see the back of next month is grown men from the inner-circle creating cryptic and condescending usernames. I wouldn't expect Stockwood or Pettit to come on here under the usernames ForexMetal or AndreasGrande or even worse, something like getyourfactsright.

I mean it really is pathetic that the owner of a football club signs up to a forum using an aggressive username like getyourfactsright in the first place. We really have become a laughing stock, of which you are clearly part of.

For grown men in their 50's and 60's it really is pathetic.

Here's to the future. I would love to see the new owners on here having engaging and intelligent conversation openly.
Posted by: ska face, April 11, 2021, 7:21pm; Reply: 92

lmao, oxygen must be running low in the fürherbunker if that’s the best you can come up with. Can just picture Fenty on the phone now;

“Yes, £100k is great, oh and we’d like a sell on clause too...yes...25%, yes...oh, only for 18 months of the 3-year deal...mmmhmmm, yes I realise that he’d be at maximum possible value 1 year before the end of his contract, but we’re happy to end that clause 6 months prior...pleasure’s all mine, toodle pip”

The bloke’s an idiot, but not that stupid.
Posted by: HerveJosse, April 11, 2021, 8:52pm; Reply: 93
While my reading of Notche to date having only been on the board for a month has been that he is a narsaccist who thrives on wind up he has until this weekend demonstrated enough intelligence not to be written of completely,. However this weekend a number of posts have been total nonsense.. perhaps the takeover deal has tipped him over the edge.  No club however badly run would have a sell on clause which expired before the players contract with his new club expired and I am sure I don’t need to explain why
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 11, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from HerveJosse
While my reading of Notche to date having only been on the board for a month has been that he is a narsaccist who thrives on wind up he has until this weekend demonstrated enough intelligence not to be written of completely,. However this weekend a number of posts have been total nonsense.. perhaps the takeover deal has tipped him over the edge.  No club however badly run would have a sell on clause which expired before the players contract with his new club expired and I am sure I don’t need to explain why

Maybe Mr Noche would care to let us know.

I bet Darragh MacAnthony and Barry Fry will be the only people sorry to see the back of Fenty and Day if it's true.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from HerveJosse

Please yourself

Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 10:24pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Maybe Mr Noche would care to let us know.

I bet Darragh MacAnthony and Barry Fry will be the only people sorry to see the back of Fenty and Day if it's true.

I’m sorry James I’m unable to tell you why. I’m only able to inform you that it is the case in respect of the Dembele contract

I wish it wasn’t the case as I’d love a little windfall to land on our club
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 10:26pm; Reply: 97

So either you are lying about this aspect of the contract being ‘fact’;
Or you are lying about not being employed by the club or a director of the club;
Or someone has broken commercially confidentiality.

Which is it Phil?
Posted by: DB, April 11, 2021, 10:41pm; Reply: 98

Or you are lying about not being employed by the club or a director of the club;

Which is it Phil?

Please wait your turn in the queue KM. Over 4 hours ago I asked:-

"Only somebody present at the signing would know this; or somebody who knows what the contract said ie actually read it, or a custodian of it.

You tell us that you have no connection with Fenty and that you are merely a supporter like the rest of us. So how did you come by this information?"

I'm still waiting for the answer, but not holding my breath. Don't forget that he is also the person who said:-
"Hey let me tell you, that I have no loyalty to John Fenty."

So we may be in for a long wait, on the other hand, Fillipi may come up with something totally irrelevant, designed not to answer simple questions and deflect them.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 10:45pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from DB

"Only somebody present at the signing would know this; or somebody who knows what the contract said ie actually read it, or a custodian of it.

You tell us that you have no connection with Fenty and that you are merely a supporter like the rest of us. So how did you come by this information?"

I'm still waiting for the answer, but not holding my breath. Don't forget that he is also the person who said:-

So we may be in for a long wait, on the other hand, Fillipi may come up with something totally irrelevant, designed not to answer simple questions and deflect them.

I think you’ve been waiting 4 months for a straight answer DB, never mind 4 hours.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 10:47pm; Reply: 100

Which is it Phil?

None of the above.

Neither is your list of scenarios an exhaustive list of why I would know this

Understand this, I am not in receipt of this information by way of some sort of exclusive. It’s not hidden information as it’s being discussed out there by various people. Not majorly being discussed, but certainly it’s known information regarding Dembele, Posh and Town

Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 10:50pm; Reply: 101

None of the above.

Understand this, I am not in receipt of this information by way of some sort of exclusive. It’s not hidden information as it’s being discussed out there by various people. Not majorly being discussed, but certainly it’s known information regarding Dembele, Posh and Town

Where then? Where is it being discussed? How did you get to hear of it?

Come on what have you got to lose?
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 10:50pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from DB

I’m satisfied that the answers to your questions DB are in this thread in my general comments and discussion on this topic

Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 10:51pm; Reply: 103
By the way Phil. I appeared to have jumped the queue. I believe DB has been waiting for an answer 😆
Posted by: aldi_01, April 11, 2021, 10:51pm; Reply: 104
For someone that says a lot Phil me old chap, you don’t half say intercourse all...
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, April 11, 2021, 10:52pm; Reply: 105

None of the above.

When you say discussed do you mean in print or literally private discussions between people?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 11:00pm; Reply: 106
Give him time Swans. I already asked him that. He needs time to concoct his story.
Posted by: DB, April 11, 2021, 11:06pm; Reply: 107

I’m satisfied that the answers to your questions DB are in this thread in my general comments and discussion on this topic

Firstly, Fillipe this answer is very, very vague so perhaps to can cut and paste where?

Secondly, You say  "Understand this" in another post.

Doesn't those words tend to be a comment by a bully? or a dictator etc.

Are you trying to Bully people?

Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 11:08pm; Reply: 108
No DB. He’s trying to sound important. Above us plebs.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 11:09pm; Reply: 109
Rather than give full answers he likes to drop hints. He’s basically a narcissist.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 11, 2021, 11:09pm; Reply: 110

None of the above.

Why don't you post a link to where this is being discussed?

Or is it information that has openly been discussed in the boardroom and you are duty bound not to disclose it, just like you were duty bound to roll over and let John accept questionable money back in December?
Posted by: DB, April 11, 2021, 11:11pm; Reply: 111
You know what I'm like Fillipe, don't give up till I get a sensible answer and not a load misleading twaddle. Then I realised it's DB chasing FN.

Or as some may say

Dog with Bone, chasing Fooking Nutter :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Posted by: HerveJosse, April 11, 2021, 11:11pm; Reply: 112
Why is this narcissistic wind up playing on our anxiety at being shafted yet again with no evidence or logic to back it up still continuing ?
Posted by: DB, April 11, 2021, 11:13pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from HerveJosse
Why is this narcissistic wind up playing on our anxiety at being shafted yet again with no evidence or logic to back it up still continuing ?

Baby rattle syndrome!

Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 12, 2021, 6:28am; Reply: 114
Quoted from DB
You know what I'm like Fillipe, don't give up till I get a sensible answer and not a load misleading twaddle. Then I realised it's DB chasing FN.

Or as some may say

Dog with Bone, chasing Fooking Nutter :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Well then I think you need to learn that this messageboard isn’t all about you or I. Your dog with bone approach must be getting tiresome for the other readers and contributors to this page.

Look, I merely saw a post regarding Dembele, read it, and contributed to it with information I am aware of, in order to correct an inaccuracy. Nothing more and nothing less.

There’s nothing mysterious about it, it’s just factual information, which I don’t believe is secret. If it was confidential information, then I don’t think for a moment that I would have been told about it.

I’m not a narcissist, I’m not poking a bear for a reaction. I am merely taking an interest in a discussion board focused on my football club. I contribute when I have something to say, and only ever contribute with things I know to be truth and fact

That’s all DB, other than to ask you to try to be less judgemental and to cease with your offensive remarks and name calling please
Posted by: aldi_01, April 12, 2021, 8:10am; Reply: 115

Well then I think you need to learn that this messageboard isn’t all about you or I. Your dog with bone approach must be getting tiresome for the other readers and contributors to this page.

Look, I merely saw a post regarding Dembele, read it, and contributed to it with information I am aware of, in order to correct an inaccuracy. Nothing more and nothing less.

There’s nothing mysterious about it, it’s just factual information, which I don’t believe is secret. If it was confidential information, then I don’t think for a moment that I would have been told about it.

I’m not a narcissist, I’m not poking a bear for a reaction. I am merely taking an interest in a discussion board focused on my football club. I contribute when I have something to say, and only ever contribute with things I know to be truth and fact

That’s all DB, other than to ask you to try to be less judgemental and to cease with your offensive remarks and name calling please

Nope...not tiresome at all.

I mean given the ineptitude of Fenty I’m fully expecting us to probably have to pay Peterborough something when they sell Dembele...
Posted by: golfer, April 12, 2021, 8:29am; Reply: 116
His contract runs out end of June - don't believe there is an extension clause. Celtic are still interested but if they hang on they will get him for free so nothing for us
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 12, 2021, 8:33am; Reply: 117
Quoted from golfer
His contract runs out end of June - don't believe there is an extension clause. Celtic are still interested but if they hang on they will get him for free so nothing for us

And the winner is you my friend. 👏👏👏
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 12, 2021, 8:40am; Reply: 118
Quoted from golfer

His contract runs out in June 2022...

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/siriki-dembele-contract-flux-celtic-could-land-bargain/amp/
Posted by: golfer, April 12, 2021, 9:32am; Reply: 119
Quoted from jamesgtfc

???  Transfer Market says end June 21 - has he signed an extension  ???
Posted by: jimgtfc, April 12, 2021, 9:37am; Reply: 120
Unfortunately a certain member of this board has either been misinformed or is attempting to deliberately mislead. Dembele’s current contract does expire this summer but it’s commonly known in the football world that the club have an option for a further year. Barry Fry has even stated the intentions with him, if they get promoted then they won’t trigger the extension and will instead reward him with a lucrative new contract, if they fail to gain promotion then he will be sold, after they trigger the extension to protect his value.

Peterborough are experts in this and are a role model club to many in the lower echelons of the football league. In fact they have in the past made it club policy to transfer list any player who enters the last 12 months of their contract so not to lose them for nothing.

And with regards to the supposed deadline set on the sell on fee, I think I’ve mentioned on here before that I know a former football agent based in the south, I asked him about this and he said he’s never heard of any clause set up in this way. He said that bonuses like a fee upon promotion or after a certain number of games or goals can have expiry dates but he’s never seen one on a sell on percentage and that they usually expire naturally if a player leaves for free at the end of that contract, certainly not randomly 6 months beforehand.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 12, 2021, 11:55am; Reply: 121
Siriki Dembele is contracted at Peterborough until June 2022.

As much as PN wants to trust a website (Transfer Markt) mainly updated by spotty teenagers in their bedrooms whilst they’re not playing Football Manager, the truth reported by the proper media is different...

[url=https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/transfer-news/nottingham-forest-transfer-news-dembele-4913278]Nottingham Post story on NFFC interest in Demberle[/url]
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 12, 2021, 12:01pm; Reply: 122
Still waiting for FN to say where he heard or read this information about the time limit on the sell-on clause. It’s supposedly in the public domain but no on else has heard about it.

So come on FN. where did you get this information?
Posted by: DB, April 12, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 123

I seem to have touched a sore spot, but if when you post you didn't use cloak and dagger methods and insinuations then perhaps, and only perhaps you wouldn't get responses that you do. The responses you get are invited on to you by your language.

I did not call you a narcissist, so why aim that at me. As you see in the above paragraph you are asking for a reply to a statement not made by me.

I am one of the few that stuck up for you on the " Banning Thread ", as I believe in free speech and people to have their opinions, regardless of whether I agree or not. I am sorry that in sticking up for you that you find I am judgemental and that it was offensive to you.

Finally Fillipe I have never on this site had a pop at anybody unless they have had a go at me first. I reserve the right to defend myself against you, regardless of what tripe/drivel you write about me. Don't give it if you don't like it back.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 12, 2021, 1:20pm; Reply: 124
Still waiting for FN to say where he heard or read this information about the time limit on the sell-on clause. It’s supposedly in the public domain but no on else has heard about it.

So come on FN. where did you get this information?

Myself and Golly have both produced evidence which suggests his contract expires in 2022. I simply searched "Siriki Dembele Peterborough contract" into Google to get mine and I bet Golly did similar.

It's easy for Filipe Noche to come out with words but not so easy to back them up with proof it seems.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 12, 2021, 1:42pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Myself and Golly have both produced evidence which suggests his contract expires in 2022. I simply searched "Siriki Dembele Peterborough contract" into Google to get mine and I bet Golly did similar.

It's easy for Filipe Noche to come out with words but not so easy to back them up with proof it seems.

In terms of the length of his contract, I’ve not made any comment regarding this. So I am not sure whether your first paragraph is aimed at me? Although I did make a bit of an ironic comment in reply to someone else’s remark on here regarding the length of Dembele’s contract.

With regards to KingstonMariner desire for me to disclose where I heard about the timescale on Dembele’s sell on clause, I will comment as follows. I am not prepared to disclose who it is that informed me about this. When I referenced that it was in the public domain, I meant in the sense that it is public in terms of people or person in the know who openly told me this. I didn’t mean it’s sitting as news on a website or anything like that. Now, whist I was never told “please don’t tell anyone about this”, neither did this person say “by all means tell people if this ever crops up in conversation, and of course tell them that you got the info from me”. So for that reason, I am not prepared to say who it is that informed me if this.

What I will tell you is this. It’s a person of responsibility that knows. The info came to me towards the end of the transfer window. At a time when I was conducting some other business. I happened to say that we at Grimsby (fans etc.) were hoping that Posh would be selling Dembele, as the money from the sell on clause would come in useful at Town.  They replied that they wasn’t sure if Dembele was going to leave but hoped not. But that in any event it was the final transfer window opportunity for GTFC to benefit from a sell on, as the clause in the sale contract with Grimsby had a time limit set on it.

I repeat, this person absolutely knows this for fact. Because of the work they are involved in.

It doesn’t matter what someone’s auntie that knows an agent says about what’s normal for a sell on clause, this is the specific in respect of the sale agreement for Dembele.

Now I think I really have contributed enough to this topic. You can make your own minds up whether or not this is genuine, as that really isn’t my concern.

I’ll leave that with you all.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, April 12, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 126

In terms of the length of his contract, I’ve not made any comment regarding this. So I am not sure whether your first paragraph is aimed at me? Although I did make a bit of an ironic comment in reply to someone else’s remark on here regarding the length of Dembele’s contract.

With regards to KingstonMariner desire for me to disclose where I heard about the timescale on Dembele’s sell on clause, I will comment as follows. I am not prepared to disclose who it is that informed me about this. When I referenced that it was in the public domain, I meant in the sense that it is public in terms of people or person in the know who openly told me this. I didn’t mean it’s sitting as news on a website or anything like that. Now, whist I was never told “please don’t tell anyone about this”, neither did this person say “by all means tell people if this ever crops up in conversation, and of course tell them that you got the info from me”. So for that reason, I am not prepared to say who it is that informed me if this.

What I will tell you is this. It’s a person of responsibility that knows. The info came to me towards the end of the transfer window. At a time when I was conducting some other business. I happened to say that we at Grimsby (fans etc.) were hoping that Posh would be selling Dembele, as the money from the sell on clause would come in useful at Town.  They replied that they wasn’t sure if Dembele was going to leave but hoped not. But that in any event it was the final transfer window opportunity for GTFC to benefit from a sell on, as the clause in the sale contract with Grimsby had a time limit set on it.

I repeat, this person absolutely knows this for fact. Because of the work they are involved in.

It doesn’t matter what someone’s auntie that knows an agent says about what’s normal for a sell on clause, this is the specific in respect of the sale agreement for Dembele.

Now I think I really have contributed enough to this topic. You can make your own minds up whether or not this is genuine, as that really isn’t my concern.

You remind me of a character in a Jane Austen novel.

All coquettish smile, garbled syntax and grass stains on your breeches.

😀
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 12, 2021, 2:01pm; Reply: 127

So it's not information in the public domain after all then, just hearsay.

I wonder why the real Phillip Day (assuming you're not him) didn't tell us this very public fact when he told everyone the sell-on clause is 25% a few months ago?

I don't recall ever hearing about a sell-on clause being time limited in football at all. In fact, I often read about clubs benefitting from sell-on clauses with each subsequent move. As I said last night, if we get diddly squat from any Dembele sale now then that really does sum up the incompetence of our outgoing board.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 12, 2021, 2:10pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from jamesgtfc

So it's not information in the public domain after all then, just hearsay.

I wonder why the real Phillip Day (assuming you're not him) didn't tell us this very public fact when he told everyone the sell-on clause is 25% a few months ago?

I don't recall ever hearing about a sell-on clause being time limited in football at all. In fact, I often read about clubs benefitting from sell-on clauses with each subsequent move. As I said last night, if we get diddly squat from any Dembele sale now then that really does sum up the incompetence of our outgoing board.

I’m a member of the public, aren’t you ?

It’s not hearsay. Hearsay would suggest unsupported rumour or tittle tattle. The source is involved in football, in a professional capacity somewhere between GTFC > Dembele > Posh

Now that really is my final word on the matter. I need to stop dropping in on this topic, as I’m the sort of person that cannot resist correcting inaccurate comments. I suppose I’m a tad pedantic
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 12, 2021, 2:16pm; Reply: 129
[url=https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/siriki-dembele-peterborough-premier-league-4680876]Grimsby Telegraph - 8th November 2020[/url]

Quoted Text
Town chairman Philip Day has revealed to BBC Radio Humberside that the club hold a 25 per cent selling-on clause following Dembele’s move to Peterborough in 2018

Someone needs to tell the Chairman we don’t have a sell on clause because he mistaken thinks we do.

Unless those on here saying we don’t are talking sh...rubbish.
Posted by: golfer, April 12, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from golfer

Thanks for the info James  
Posted by: RonMariner, April 12, 2021, 2:20pm; Reply: 131
Celtic makes sense. Didn't his brother play for them?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 12, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 132
So in other words, as James has pointed out, it isn’t in the public domain if he is not prepared to reveal his source. If it were there is nothing to be shy about.

Or maybe he is simply lying?

Or the source was lying?

If it is true about the time limit, a massive cockup was made in the transfer negotiations and Fenty got taken to the cleaners by Barry Fry.

Which one is it FN?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 12, 2021, 2:46pm; Reply: 133
So in other words, as James has pointed out, it isn’t in the public domain if he is not prepared to reveal his source. If it were there is nothing to be shy about.

Or maybe he is simply lying?

Or the source was lying?

If it is true about the time limit, a massive cockup was made in the transfer negotiations and Fenty got taken to the cleaners by Barry Fry.

Which one is it FN?

Publicly available and exclusively available to certain social circles are two completely different things. If something is publicly available in 2021 I expect to see a link to it somewhere on the internet.

I'm convinced this isn't true because Fenty, Day and Fleming can't be that incompetent surely?
Posted by: Quagmire, April 12, 2021, 2:50pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Publicly available and exclusively available to certain social circles are two completely different things. If something is publicly available in 2021 I expect to see a link to it somewhere on the internet.

I'm convinced this isn't true because Fenty, Day and Fleming can't be that incompetent surely?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/boukn.gif[/img]
Posted by: RonMariner, April 12, 2021, 3:05pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Tough one.......
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, April 12, 2021, 3:51pm; Reply: 136

It’s not hearsay. Hearsay would suggest unsupported rumour or tittle tattle. The source is involved in football, in a professional capacity somewhere between GTFC > Dembele > Posh

Now that really is my final word on the matter. I need to stop dropping in on this topic, as I’m the sort of person that cannot resist correcting inaccurate comments. I suppose I’m a tad pedantic

So it is hearsay then, because, and forgive me if I'm wrong, you have provided no evidence for the veracity of your source. So your little nugget of information is just unsupported rumour or, indeed, tittle tattle.

Consider your inaccurate comment corrected.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 12, 2021, 4:16pm; Reply: 137

you're a wasp. doing me effing head in
Posted by: RonMariner, April 12, 2021, 4:24pm; Reply: 138
From his verbose style, inane prattle and know it all attitude, I think I have guessed who FN really is.

Rowley Birkin QC.

Has to be surely?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 12, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from RonMariner
From his verbose style, inane prattle and know it all attitude, I think I have guessed who FN really is.

Rowley Birkin QC.

Has to be surely?

You were FAST to SHOW that.  ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: immariner, April 12, 2021, 4:50pm; Reply: 140

It wasn't an accusation, it was conjecture, a point for discussion. Obviously, the potential receipt of anywhere between £400,000 and £1.25m would have a bearing on each parties' negotiating position. Whether you are on a wind up or not, I feel sorry for you, you tedious bore.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 12, 2021, 7:53pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from RonMariner

Rowley Birkin QC.

Has to be surely?

More Dave angel
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 13, 2021, 12:30am; Reply: 142
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

More Dave angel

More "Only Me!"
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 13, 2021, 12:31am; Reply: 143
Quoted from RonMariner

Rowley Birkin QC.

Has to be surely?

Nah. It'd be a laugh meeting up with Rowley and having a few snifters while he regales you with his anecdotes.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 13, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 144

Nah. It'd be a laugh meeting up with Rowley and having a few snifters while he regales you with his anecdotes.

Only if he was "very, very, drunk" at the time!  :)
Posted by: Biccys, April 13, 2021, 12:31pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

More Dave angel

More Colin Hunt....
Posted by: ska face, April 17, 2021, 7:30pm; Reply: 146
8 clear now, only 5 to play 👍
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 17, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from RonMariner

Rowley Birkin QC.

Has to be surely?

Swiss Tony more like .....
Posted by: ginnywings, May 3, 2021, 1:10pm; Reply: 148
https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-fulham-set-sights-on-beating-rangers-and-celtic-to-dembele-after-transfer-mission/
Posted by: forza ivano, May 3, 2021, 2:07pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from ginnywings

Why are you posting irrelevant links Ginny? Don't care if and where Dembele goes, coz the 'Man Who Knows' (Filipe) has told us repeatedly that we won't be getting any dosh for him, as the add on clause has lapsed  :P ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, May 3, 2021, 2:15pm; Reply: 150
:B
Posted by: mariner91, May 5, 2021, 9:11am; Reply: 151
A good friend of mine text me this morning saying Town get £100K from Posh for Dembele as they got promoted. Happy days.

Here is his evidence https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/the-price-of-posh-success-is-a-cool-ps12-million-3224655
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, May 5, 2021, 9:34am; Reply: 152
Interesting that he highlighted BR's chairman as a classy guy. I wonder with whom he could have been comparing him?
Posted by: RonMariner, May 5, 2021, 9:42am; Reply: 153
Quoted from mariner91
A good friend of mine text me this morning saying Town get £100K from Posh for Dembele as they got promoted. Happy days.

Here is his evidence https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/the-price-of-posh-success-is-a-cool-ps12-million-3224655

Good news, but how strange that Fillipe Knobhead neglected to reveal this to us, given how well informed her is.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 5, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 154
It's a bit of an aside but I find articles like that so depressing...

The chairman of Peterborough saying he likes to share money out among the little clubs (I'm paraphrasing). There was a time, not long ago, when Peterborough were a little club and we were the ones that could talk about them in that way.

20 years of mismanagement has led to this.
Posted by: Poojah, May 5, 2021, 10:06am; Reply: 155
Quoted from mariner91

It will be interesting to see what happens with Dembele this summer - whether Posh's promotion means he's more likely to stay or rather it merely inflates his price tag, I don't know. Any sale could be hugely significant in our attempts to get out of non-league once more.

As it happens, Darragh MacAnthony was on Talksport the other day talking about the model they've adopted at Peterborough. You can poke fun at the likes of Barry Fry et al, but the reality is they've been consistently in the Championship or the top half of League One for the last decade and have consistently recruited, improved and moved on talented players. Last summer they sold Ivan Toney for a fee of up to £15m and replaced him with Jonson Clarke-Harris from Bristol Rovers for around a million - he's scored 33 league goals this season.

Their success in recruiting and developing players is no fluke. It was interesting hearing MacAnthony talking about the recruitment meetings they have with a team of people including the manager and various analysts, going over a variety of data to reinforce their decisions. It's hard to imagine Fenty looking at data beyond how little a player is prepared to accept in order to sign for the club.

Yes, all of these things cost money to implement, but more importantly they make money. And money + good decisions = success. We all know what tightfistedness + bad decisions gets you.

Edit: interview with MacAnthony is here (18 minutes and 45 seconds in): https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1620054000/1620055800/
Posted by: RonMariner, May 5, 2021, 10:13am; Reply: 156
Yes, I was impressed by that interview. What a contrast with Fenty.

Perhaps we are about to get owners with such progressive attitudes at long last.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 5, 2021, 10:14am; Reply: 157
Quoted from Poojah

It will be interesting to see what happens with Dembele this summer - whether Posh's promotion means he's more likely to stay or rather it merely inflates his price tag, I don't know. Any sale could be hugely significant in our attempts to get out of non-league once more.

As it happens, Darragh MacAnthony was on Talksport the other day talking about the model they've adopted at Peterborough. You can poke fun at the likes of Barry Fry et al, but the reality is they've been consistently in the Championship or the top half of League One for the last decade and have consistently recruited, improved and moved on talented players. Last summer they sold Ivan Toney for a fee of up to £15m and replaced him with Jonson Clarke-Harris from Bristol Rovers for around a million - he's scored 33 league goals this season.

Their success in recruiting and developing players is no fluke. It was interesting hearing MacAnthony talking about the recruitment meetings they have with a team of people including the manager and various analysts, going over a variety of data to reinforce their decisions. It's hard to imagine Fenty looking at data beyond how little a player is prepared to accept in order to sign for the club.

Yes, all of these things cost money to implement, but more importantly they make money. And money + good decisions = success. We all know what tightfistedness + bad decisions gets you.

Look how Scunthorpe managed to cement themselves as a Championship/League 1 club. Billy Sharp, a player they bought for £100k and sold for £2m. They did this repeatedly for years.

A similar policy ensured we swiftly returned to Division 1 in 1998 but we then resorted to journeymen again.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 5, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 158
Quoted from Poojah

Something we’ve failed to realise over the past 20 years is spending money on players can be an investment and with the right research, often is.
Posted by: Poojah, May 5, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 159
Quoted from pontoonlew

Something we’ve failed to realise over the past 20 years is spending money on players can be an investment and with the right research, often is.

Realistically, we've done it successfully once in those 20 years - the case being Omar Bogle. Would that even have happened without the intervention of the fans, who knows?

Sadly we spunked our winnings on the likes of Adi Yussuf, Akwasi Asante and Mad Gav Gunning. It's a travesty really, and something that has to be addressed as part of our fresh start.
Posted by: Poojah, May 5, 2021, 10:27am; Reply: 160
Edited my post above - interview with MacAnthony at 18 minutes 45 seconds:

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1620054000/1620055800/
Posted by: Abdul19, May 5, 2021, 10:42am; Reply: 161
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Look how Scunthorpe managed to cement themselves as a Championship/League 1 club. Billy Sharp, a player they bought for £100k and sold for £2m. They did this repeatedly for years.

A similar policy ensured we swiftly returned to Division 1 in 1998 but we then resorted to journeymen again.

Not similar at all tbf. We paid fees for Groves, Donovan, Nogan, Smith and Burnett and they all left at the end of their contracts (or were sacked as manager).

I suppose it was similar in that we signed players who were good, which is something we've struggled with for a while!
Posted by: DB, May 5, 2021, 10:43am; Reply: 162
Quoted from RonMariner

Good news, but how strange that Fillipe Knobhead neglected to reveal this to us, given how well informed her is.

The good news is the sycophant will be quietened at 3.00 pm.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 5, 2021, 10:44am; Reply: 163
The Peterborough model is one that Hurst (and I guess Scott) were keen to implement first time round wasn't it?

Hearn would have been the initial success story if it wasn't for his injuries.  Add to that McKeown, Pearson, Church who were all brought from lower down the pyramid with the intention of developing them and no doubt selling for a profit.  

Of course the major success was Bogle but Hurst went back the next summer for Tom Bolarinwa, another raw talent.  We also saw the likes of Louis Soares arrive, no doubt with the intent to turn him into a profit.

The thing was though that, with the exception of Bogle (fan raised purchase) and Hearn, the purchases were either from where Hurst (and Scott) had worked before or ones overlooked by everyone else.  The penny pinching and cost cutting even meant this little project was unlikely to succeed.  

Bignot was given the opportunity to reinvest that and to his credit he did speak about that philosophy and identify of becoming a club that developed talent.  Sam Jones could and probably should have been a player who we got a significant return on.  Adi Yussuf still remains a mystery as to why he didn't have more success here.  Asante hasn't done shabbily since leaving here.   Bignot had the right idea, he just went a bit crazy with it.  One maybe two players a season to develop, a nice steady constant conveyer belt approach would be ideal.  Bignot tried to flood a team with them.

Any Dembele windfall we get will fill the hole left by our relegation, i.e a lack of Premier League payment.  Only Southend will get the same level of parachute payments as us, but I don't think they're due a bit of that old 'footballing fortune' either.   Financially we should be on a very decent footing next season.  It be would be nice to think that we can use some of that to make an attempt at bringing in some raw talent to compliment our own youngsters.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 5, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 164
Quoted from mariner91

hmmm - think you, chairman Darren and Peterborough media are all part of a false truth conspiracy. Thank god there are still beacons of light and truth like Filipe Noche to assure us that we won't be getting any money whatsoever for Dembele because the sell on clauses etc have all lapsed
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 5, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 165
Filipe Noche being a lying excrement-stirring sharp object? Well I never!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 5, 2021, 11:02am; Reply: 166
Matete could have been one of those players if he wasn't on loan. Plucked from Fleetwood's reserves, has a belting half season, sell him for (purportedly) 800k. Lovely. And thanks Jay, best of luck at Stoke or Millwall or wherever.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 5, 2021, 11:02am; Reply: 167
Ironic that Dembele scored the first of 3 goals needed to pull back and draw with Lincoln.  The draw gave them automatic promotion and stopped the only team that could pip them - Lincoln - from doing so.

Agent Dembele continues to do very well for us!
Posted by: forza ivano, May 5, 2021, 11:05am; Reply: 168
thanks for posting the link poojah.1 other interesting thing mentioned was they spent 5k on getting /keeping Clarke- Harris fit & injury free.
Quite a contrast to the 'help' our beloved chairman gave to our injury plagued youngster. Or maybe getting a part time job with Tescos is somehow classed as helping Max's recovery
Posted by: RonMariner, May 5, 2021, 11:09am; Reply: 169
Quoted from forza ivano
thanks for posting the link poojah.1 other interesting thing mentioned was they spent 5k on getting /keeping Clarke- Harris fit & injury free.
Quite a contrast to the 'help' our beloved chairman gave to our injury plagued youngster. Or maybe getting a part time job with Tescos is somehow classed as helping Max's recovery

Indeed. another stark reminder of the Fenty mindset.

God, I cant wait for him to sod off.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 5, 2021, 11:42am; Reply: 170
Quoted from forza ivano

Works out about £160 a goal....

Playing it out some hypothetical scenarios here....let's say we invested £25,000 this season on proper strength and conditioning over the course of the season.  intercourse it, £50,000!  

How many more games would we have got from Max Wright this season?  How important could he have been coming off the bench in the last 20 minutes of games, especially in the last few months, when we needed an outlet.

How many more games would we have got from James Hanson, a Hanson who was fully fit and offering a physical presence and a goal threat?

What would our defence have looked like with a Luke Hendrie who didn't look like he was carrying an injury for the whole season?  

£50,000 against a £1,000,000 shortfall next season.

You invest a penny, you save a pound.  Problem is we've saved a penny to lose a pound for the last 18 years.
Posted by: buckstown, May 5, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 171
Thanks for the link
When you listen to that guy articulating such a clear, well thought out strategy it makes me angry about the last 15 years and excited about the future in equal measures.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 5, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 172
Get them running on the beach in an icy, winter gale.  That will kill or cure them.  This cheapskate option will not cost the Chairman a penny either. Maybe a hot drink afterwards to thaw out.  

(Only joking.  We are still stuck in the time when the Main Stand was built).  
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 5, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 173
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Get them running on the beach in an icy, winter gale.  That will kill or cure them.  This cheapskate option will not cost the Chairman a penny either. Maybe a hot drink afterwards to thaw out.  

There's actually nothing wrong with this as long as it's part of a properly thought out fitness programme supported by good recovery, good nutrition and the right support for injuries.

It's bad when it's all they do and is supported by a cup of Bovril and the physio rubbing Deep Heat into a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament! ( and I'm not suggesting that's what Dave Moore does).
Posted by: DB, May 5, 2021, 1:19pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

I seem to remember that was the 'reward' for a poor Saturday performance, especially when they had to in on the Sunday.

Posted by: rancido, May 5, 2021, 5:30pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from forza ivano

hmmm - think you, chairman Darren and Peterborough media are all part of a false truth conspiracy. Thank god there are still beacons of light and truth like Filipe Noche to assure us that we won't be getting any money whatsoever for Dembele because the sell on clauses etc have all lapsed

I'm with you on this Forza - deffo fake news!
Posted by: ska face, May 18, 2021, 12:28pm; Reply: 176
Expected to leave according to Barry Fry:

“He’s got a year left on his contract and we’ve made him what we consider to be a lucrative offer but there has been a lot of interest in him, and I don’t think he’ll sign a new contract with us. The club’s policy is if you’re in the last year of your contract, and the club offers a contract and you refuse it, we put you on the transfer list. We’ve had bids worth millions for Dembele and rejected them.”
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, May 18, 2021, 1:14pm; Reply: 177
That’s sounds very positive for us, wish it was anybody else but ‘Honest’ Barry Fry saying it though!
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 18, 2021, 2:19pm; Reply: 178
That’s sounds very positive for us, wish it was anybody else but ‘Honest’ Barry Fry saying it though!

Very much so. If you had 10 dumper trucks full of salt it still wouldn’t be enough for the size of pinch you would need for anything that comes out of his mouth.
Posted by: gtfcmd, May 18, 2021, 2:35pm; Reply: 179
thought this was only within a certain time frame wasn't it seem to remember Philip Day say something similar I might be mistaken though
Posted by: Rick12, May 18, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from immariner

Iam pleased for Dembele that he is possibly getting a move to one of the big boys in Scotland. I know their level is not a Man City/Liverpool one but pundits have stated in the past that the elite of Scottish football would be a middle of the road premiership team in England.

Still surprised a bit that Rangers/Celtic are chasing him. I would of had him English championship  at best . Having said that I still loved watching him when he was here.

Posted by: ginnywings, May 18, 2021, 3:08pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from Rick12
Iam pleased for Dembele that he is possibly getting a move to one of the big boys in Scotland. I know their level is not a Man City/Liverpool one but pundits have stated in the past that the elite of Scottish football would be a middle of the road premiership team in England.

Still surprised a bit that Rangers/Celtic are chasing him. I would of had him English championship  at best . Having said that I still loved watching him when he was here.

Which is approaching the level of Celtic and Rangers.
Posted by: Rick12, May 18, 2021, 3:10pm; Reply: 182
Quoted from ginnywings

Which is approaching the level of Celtic and Rangers.
I still feel Ginny Rangers/Celtic would survive in the premiership. There was talk a while back of admitting them but it didnt come to fruition.

Posted by: diehardmariner, May 18, 2021, 3:21pm; Reply: 183

Peterborough do back up what they say though.  There's a long list of players, especially attacking players who've been developed at Peterborough and then sold after having failed to agree new terms.

They don't mess about.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 18, 2021, 4:30pm; Reply: 184
Quoted from Rick12
I still feel Ginny Rangers/Celtic would survive in the premiership. There was talk a while back of admitting them but it didnt come to fruition.

Survive probably. Prosper? I think not.

The teams coming up from the Championship to the prem this season would give them a run for their money, but those same teams won't trouble the top end of the Premier League.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 18, 2021, 5:24pm; Reply: 185
As of now, the Auld Firm are behind the EPL . They get nothing like the funding from TV deals. If they were admitted it’d only be a question of time for them to adjust. They might yo-yo got a couple of seasons. Then they’d be on by a par with the big English clubs.

The rest of Scottish football would get a lot less money mind.
Posted by: DB, May 18, 2021, 5:39pm; Reply: 186
As of now, the Auld Firm are behind the EPL . They get nothing like the funding from TV deals. If they were admitted it’d only be a question of time for them to adjust. They might yo-yo got a couple of seasons. Then they’d be on by a par with the big English clubs.

Or Queen Nicola could open her handbag?

Posted by: toontown, May 18, 2021, 7:03pm; Reply: 187

This. Rangers and celtic can't compete with top EPL clubs due to the EPL money from sky, which rangers and celtic only get a pale imitation of as Scottish football is irrelevant. If they were in the EPL they would soon be in the top group, they're certainly bigger clubs than  spurs.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 18, 2021, 7:48pm; Reply: 188
Quoted from DB

Or Queen Nicola could open her handbag?

If there’s any money in it, it’s come from London taxpayers.
Posted by: ska face, August 1, 2021, 9:20am; Reply: 189
Fulham, Bournemouth & Stoke linked. £4m price tag but not likely to fetch that much according to reports.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/reports-championship-clubs-queuing-up-to-sign-siriki-dembele-3330380
Posted by: toontown, August 2, 2021, 8:31pm; Reply: 190
I wonder if we need the dembele deal to go through, and the 500k or so it might bring, in order to meet the demands of tshimanga or cheeke or whoever it is we are after?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 2, 2021, 10:34pm; Reply: 191
Good point tt
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 3, 2021, 8:20am; Reply: 192
It was only a couple of weeks ago that Barry Fry was saying Championship survival was worth £15m and they are willing to let his contract wind down unless someone can better their £15m valuation of him.
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 3, 2021, 9:07am; Reply: 193
I’d imagine this one going down to the deadline. Clubs will want the best value as he is in the last year of his contract so could leave it last minute when Posh might get a bit desperate to get some money for him before he leaves for free. Yeah Fry said that he might get a new contract if there’s no bids but I imagine this is a bit of mind games in trying to force clubs hand as there’s been no talk of staying from the Dembele camp. Interesting that Celtic/Rangers are said to be interested, and they can actually negotiate with him in January to get him on a free next summer so might bide their time. Also noticed that Peterborough signed Poku from Colchester who’s a winger, potential Dembele replacement?

Say what you like about Peterborough and Barry Fry in particular, but you can’t really question their business model.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 3, 2021, 9:13am; Reply: 194
Quoted from jimgtfc
I’d imagine this one going down to the deadline. Clubs will want the best value as he is in the last year of his contract so could leave it last minute when Posh might get a bit desperate to get some money for him before he leaves for free. Yeah Fry said that he might get a new contract if there’s no bids but I imagine this is a bit of mind games in trying to force clubs hand as there’s been no talk of staying from the Dembele camp. Interesting that Celtic/Rangers are said to be interested, and they can actually negotiate with him in January to get him on a free next summer so might bide their time. Also noticed that Peterborough signed Poku from Colchester who’s a winger, potential Dembele replacement?

Say what you like about Peterborough and Barry Fry in particular, but you can’t really question their business model.

The Peterborough model is one a lot of clubs should aspire to. If we have ambitions of reaching The Championship ever again, it's the only way little old Grimsby could compete.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 3, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 195
Remember Barry Fry in a documentary of his time at Birmingham City, he had it in his contract that he got a percentage of all, both in and out, transfers, he was in giggles when he said he bought player X on Monday, received his percentage, the sold him on Friday, and also received his percentage.
Posted by: toontown, August 3, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 196
Quoted from jimgtfc
I’d imagine this one going down to the deadline.

When is the transfer deadline?
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 3, 2021, 4:18pm; Reply: 197
Quoted from toontown

We do not have one in the conferance.
Posted by: Poojah, August 3, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 198
Quoted from toontown

The deadline applicable to the EFL (and therefore Dembele) is 31st August. I too think this will go to the wire, but he will go in my opinion - probably for somewhere between £2.5m and £3m, which would equate to £500k to £750k for Town.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 3, 2021, 4:40pm; Reply: 199
Quoted from grimsby pete

We do not have one in the conferance.

We do, it's just a bit more sensible like the old days. Like the EFL, we can sign anyone who is a free agent as of the window slamming shut. We can't make permanent transfers or long-term loans but we can loan people in for upto 3 months with clubs in the EFL can't do.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 3, 2021, 4:49pm; Reply: 200
Whenever the window shuts, it always slams.
Posted by: thefish, August 3, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 201
Quoted from Abdul19
Whenever the window shuts, it always slams.

Like living with my misses…
Posted by: ska face, August 4, 2021, 9:56am; Reply: 202
Peterborough sign two decent wingers/attacking midfielders in Poku & Randall from Colchester & Exeter. Their Chairman confirming one of their “big gems” (Dembele or Clarke-Harris) will be sold. Can only imagine it’s Dembele given the replacements.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DMAC102/status/1422658418494644229

Good news if they get it done.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 4, 2021, 10:16am; Reply: 203
Ferguson's comments on Randall are quite interesting:

Quoted Text
I am really excited with Joel, he is quick, left and right footed, a good crosser of the ball and can score a goal. All the things you would want from a wide player or a number 10.

Dembele has also been absent for the last few of Peterborough's friendlies with no apparent reason given, could of course be just a knock but added to the fact they've signed two lads who played in his position it does look likely that they're gearing up for him to leave.
Posted by: Poojah, August 4, 2021, 10:21am; Reply: 204
Quoted from ska face
Peterborough sign two decent wingers/attacking midfielders in Poku & Randall from Colchester & Exeter. Their Chairman confirming one of their “big gems” (Dembele or Clarke-Harris) will be sold. Can only imagine it’s Dembele given the replacements.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DMAC102/status/1422658418494644229

Good news if they get it done.

Jonson Clarke-Harris* scored 31 for them last season, has three years to run on his contract and doesn't appear to have been posturing for a move in the way Dembele has, so you'd have to assume it's Dembele he's referring to. You get the impression that he's quite easily influenced by his 'management' and can be quite difficult once he gets a whisper of a potential move.

Would be a big boost for Town as it looks increasingly likely we'll have to pay a fee for this elusive striker we are badly in need of.

*Bonus info: Jonson Clarke-Harris' star sign is Cancer. I know this because I searched for "peterborough sign clarke-harris" to see how long his contract was, and that's what Google told me. Thanks Google!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 4, 2021, 10:44am; Reply: 205
Quoted from Poojah

Jonson Clarke-Harris* scored 31 for them last season, has three years to run on his contract and doesn't appear to have been posturing for a move in the way Dembele has, so you'd have to assume it's Dembele he's referring to. You get the impression that he's quite easily influenced by his 'management' and can be quite difficult once he gets a whisper of a potential move.

Would be a big boost for Town as it looks increasingly likely we'll have to pay a fee for this elusive striker we are badly in need of.

*Bonus info: Jonson Clarke-Harris' star sign is Cancer. I know this because I searched for "peterborough sign clarke-harris" to see how long his contract was, and that's what Google told me. Thanks Google!

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/blahdocs/uploads/android_2520.jpg

I would be happy with any of the strikers from The Broadley FC line-up
Posted by: Poojah, August 4, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 206
Quoted from The Yard Dog

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/blahdocs/uploads/android_2520.jpg

I would be happy with any of the strikers from The Broadley FC line-up

Wow, I hadn't realised just how many players had been lined up for this. Massive kudos to those involved with organising this, that's an absolutely brilliant effort. Looking forward in particular to the reunion of Wayne Burnett and Aidan Davison...

[img]https://i.giphy.com/media/ru7IH0oTmfIK6tRTId/giphy.webp[/img]

Posted by: ska face, August 4, 2021, 11:03am; Reply: 207
If Dembele goes for £2m, we’ll be in for just over £460k.

Plus the £100k from his promotion, £250k for Pollock and £200k for Grist (mentioned on here), we’d be looking at over a million this summer from the good people at Football Fortune Ltd.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 4, 2021, 11:46am; Reply: 208
The absolute irony of this footballing fortune coming to light the moment Fenty steps out the door is absolutely hilarious.  I'm certain he'll be sitting there feeling smug that he's somehow contributed to it, but I hope he's actually bitter as intercourse to the point he's stirring a hole in his mug of tea as the income creeps up and up.

I think the Grist fee is more than double the £200,000 mentioned.  By all accounts it became a serious bidding war for his services.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 4, 2021, 12:22pm; Reply: 209
Quoted from ska face
If Dembele goes for £2m, we’ll be in for just over £460k.

Plus the £100k from his promotion, £250k for Pollock and £200k for Grist (mentioned on here), we’d be looking at over a million this summer from the good people at Football Fortune Ltd.

Be interesting to see what Dembele goes for. We all know what happens when Dembele gets his head turned but I think Peterborough's valuation of him is some way off what clubs would be willing to pay.

That said, if Dembele downs tools or gets ruled out for the season on Saturday he's sat in the stands getting paid and going for nothing next summer and I can't see the Peterborough business model allowing that to happen.

Peterborough will also put a sell-on clause in there too you would imagine so we could also get another little bonus if he gets his head turned again.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 4, 2021, 12:36pm; Reply: 210
Could someone explain how Ben Grist would be transferred for more than the EPPP amount of around £70,000? I would be very pleased to learn it's more than that but I don't understand why it would be.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 4, 2021, 12:43pm; Reply: 211
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Could someone explain how Ben Grist would be transferred for more than the EPPP amount of around £70,000? I would be very pleased to learn it's more than that but I don't understand why it would be.

I was thinking the same, I expect any bidding war would be more related to what the player is getting paid, benefits, packages etc.
Posted by: ska face, August 4, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 212
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Be interesting to see what Dembele goes for. We all know what happens when Dembele gets his head turned but I think Peterborough's valuation of him is some way off what clubs would be willing to pay.

That said, if Dembele downs tools or gets ruled out for the season on Saturday he's sat in the stands getting paid and going for nothing next summer and I can't see the Peterborough business model allowing that to happen.

Peterborough will also put a sell-on clause in there too you would imagine so we could also get another little bonus if he gets his head turned again.

If you can stand to listen to him, their Chairman is pretty open on the Dembele situation in a podcast released last night -

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4nSkTInN26RigfX9WCUKFS?si=PHYYw_yJTVmRobi8Gtjdxw&t=894&dl_branch=1

Looks like they’re wanting Dembele to have a decent start to the season with a view to punting him at the end of the month.

That Chairman is an absolute helmet by the way. Wouldn’t surprise me if he sucked himself off towards the end of the podcast. Utter goon.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 4, 2021, 1:09pm; Reply: 213
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

This is my understanding of it too. In a bidding war, the only one doing better out of it is the player himself.

Anything we've received over £70k would purely be a goodwill gesture but it's a ruthless business and statistically, the odds are still stacked against a young player like Ben so I can't see it happening.

The carefully worded statement, given the openness regarding the fee after Pollock left, suggests to me that the transfer fee is in the hands of EPPP.
Posted by: bawarmy, August 7, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 214
Dembele not in the squad for Peterborough today.
Posted by: ska face, August 7, 2021, 2:38pm; Reply: 215
Had a knock recently, missed the last two friendlies I think.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 10, 2021, 9:42pm; Reply: 216
someone posted a scenario where Rangers go out of the Champions League, as a result Alfredo Morales is sold, Dembele is signed with the proceeds, and we're in the money.
well, the first part may be coming to pass ,as they need to score 2 goals in the last 5 minutes to avoid elimination to Mighty malmo
Posted by: jaygy, August 10, 2021, 10:45pm; Reply: 217
Quoted from forza ivano
someone posted a scenario where Rangers go out of the Champions League, as a result Alfredo Morales is sold, Dembele is signed with the proceeds, and we're in the money.
well, the first part may be coming to pass ,as they need to score 2 goals in the last 5 minutes to avoid elimination to Mighty malmo

They needed dembele tonight IMO, just goes to show if they'd have gambled on signing him sooner they may have had champions league cash to pay for him plus we would be better off
Posted by: ska face, August 11, 2021, 12:12pm; Reply: 218
Peterborough twátted 4 zip at home to Plymouth last night, coming off the back of losing 3-0 at Luton on Saturday.

Hoping Ferguson’s bottom goes and he sells Dembele (who is still, ahem, ‘injured’) sooner rather than later to strengthen elsewhere.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 14, 2021, 1:45pm; Reply: 219
On the bench for Posh today and the transfer talk seems to have gone quiet
Posted by: aldi_01, August 14, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 220
Come on and probs my scored the winner…
Posted by: Morris Minor, August 14, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 221
Just hit the winner in the 100th minute!
Posted by: Abdul19, August 14, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 222
Scores a 100th minute winner (before celebrating with some terrifying looking mascots)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, August 14, 2021, 2:33pm; Reply: 223
Like father like son, Fergie time strikes again.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 14, 2021, 2:51pm; Reply: 224
Posh mate of mine reckons Sheffield Utd and Fulham also in for him
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 14, 2021, 2:56pm; Reply: 225
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Posh mate of mine reckons Sheffield Utd and Fulham also in for him

You’ve got posh mates?
Posted by: ska face, August 14, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 226
Couldn’t ask for much more than that. Plenty of headlines.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 14, 2021, 5:23pm; Reply: 227
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You’ve got posh mates?

Not many
Posted by: Fette Schlange, August 14, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 228
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Not many

How many of them are posh?
Posted by: marinerfrank, August 14, 2021, 7:03pm; Reply: 229
Quoted from ska face
Couldn’t ask for much more than that. Plenty of headlines.

Another million on his valuation  8)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 14, 2021, 8:10pm; Reply: 230
Quoted from marinerfrank

Another million on his valuation  8)

His value won't go up as he's out of contract this season.

Unless he signs a new deal of course...
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 14, 2021, 8:17pm; Reply: 231
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You’ve got posh mates?

Fenty    ;D

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 15, 2021, 2:34pm; Reply: 232
Quoted from Fette Schlange

How many of them are posh?

Two and one of them is called Munch. Make of that what you will.
Posted by: LH, August 15, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 233
Saw his ‘reverse Balotelli’ celebration this morning.
Posted by: Poojah, August 17, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 234
Starts for Peterborough tonight and scores again. It seems he’s putting any doubt he can cut it at that level to bed. Could be a pivotal moment in our season if he gets sold inside the next couple of weeks.
Posted by: Rick12, August 17, 2021, 9:32pm; Reply: 235
Quoted from Poojah
Starts for Peterborough tonight and scores again. It seems he’s putting any doubt he can cut it at that level to bed. Could be a pivotal moment in our season if he gets sold inside the next couple of weeks.

I've always felt with Dembele if he's on it he can play championship at least. Key though is to be consistent and carry on improving.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 18, 2021, 7:51am; Reply: 236
It’s either great news for us that he’s putting himself in the shop window or terrible news. Barry Fry said it’d be ‘suicide’ to sell up so late which is rather worrying.
Posted by: smokey111, August 18, 2021, 7:53am; Reply: 237
Quoted from pontoonlew
It’s either great news for us that he’s putting himself in the shop window or terrible news. Barry Fry said it’d be ‘suicide’ to sell up so late which is rather worrying.

One key thing in this whole saga is to not believe a word that Barry Fry says.
Posted by: ska face, August 18, 2021, 8:08am; Reply: 238
He said it would be footballing suicide to sell up in the last week of the transfer window, because they’d have no time to bring in a replacement.

Sounds like he’s just trying to get some bids in now rather than be backed into a corner in a fortnight. For all his bullshít and bluster, given their model, I can’t see them letting Dembele go for free next summer, or watch his valuation drop.
Posted by: Maringer, August 18, 2021, 10:13am; Reply: 239
Is there going to be a January transfer window again this season? If so, they'll get much more for him now than several months down the line and they will obviously want to sell.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 18, 2021, 10:43am; Reply: 240
Quoted from Maringer
Is there going to be a January transfer window again this season? If so, they'll get much more for him now than several months down the line and they will obviously want to sell.

Unless he signs a new contract, they won't get a better offer in January and he goes for nothing next summer.

Championship survival is worth £15m to them though so I guess it comes down to how much they rate their survival chances with and without him.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 18, 2021, 11:07am; Reply: 241
He would have scored the winner again if Cardiff had not scored a goal in the 96th min.  The point being that his goals are material “points earners”.
Posted by: ska face, August 18, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 242
Bournemouth, rumoured to be interested, selling winger Danjuma to Villarreal for £25m.

Let’s get this one over the line please chaps. x
Posted by: Marinerdan, August 18, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 243
Quoted from ska face
Bournemouth, rumoured to be interested, selling winger Danjuma to Villarreal for £25m.

Let’s get this one over the line please chaps. x

I suspect there will be a few clubs after Fabio Carvalho at Fulham too. 18/19 and out of contract at the end of the season.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 18, 2021, 2:12pm; Reply: 244
Fairly sure I signed Fabio Carvalho for GTFC on CM01/02.
Posted by: ska face, August 18, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 245
Update from the Peterborough Chairman -

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1lAjh0eJJYyHcGf0tNWQ6o?si=jZhVKXYrRDyr3sa5BmXcjQ&t=912&dl_branch=1
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 18, 2021, 2:23pm; Reply: 246
Quoted from ska face

Slapping the sh*t out of Barry Fry. He's not very professional is he?
Posted by: ginnywings, August 18, 2021, 2:31pm; Reply: 247
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Professional enough to get his team into the Champuonship on relatively small crowds.

Wish we had some of that.
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 18, 2021, 2:54pm; Reply: 248
Quoted from ska face

Sounds like he’ll be on his way then, other clubs just waiting to sell their players first then they’ll bid. Domino effect.
Posted by: wiggers, August 18, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 249
Deadline day excitement……not
Posted by: Maringer, August 18, 2021, 3:50pm; Reply: 250
Quite amusing, that clip. Certainly sounds as though Dembele will be on his way - let's hope for a bidding war!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 18, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 251
Darragh said they have already spent the money they anticipate to get from selling dembele so it sounds like he's a gonna.

Hope they don't forget they owe us some.
Posted by: LH, August 18, 2021, 4:09pm; Reply: 252
Do you reckon we could use a friendly vs Peterborough as a transfer fee?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, August 18, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 253
What is the actual deal we have?

25% of the total transfer fee?

25% of any profit?
Posted by: Poojah, August 18, 2021, 8:45pm; Reply: 254
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I actually find Darragh MacAnthony quite interesting to listen to as far as football related ‘personalities’ go. Yeah, there’s a bit of effing and blinding going on in that interview but a) it’s an informal podcast and b) is it a bad thing if people have the confidence to let their natural personality and demeanour shine through as opposed to putting on some guarded front so as to conform to expectation?

Personally I feel that if you’re good enough at what you do you can act how you want (within acceptable norms, obviously, don’t go sexually harassing the tea lady) and whether you find the bloke arrogant or otherwise he’s got Peterborough set up pretty nicely.

Evidently our new owners have a different style, but I wouldn’t oppose to the model Posh have adopted.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, August 19, 2021, 6:52am; Reply: 255
With the lad at Bournemouth look set to go Djanjuma? I think Bournemouth was heavily linked. 5-6m fee would do us nicely.
Posted by: pen penfras, August 19, 2021, 8:05am; Reply: 256
What is the actual deal we have?

25% of the total transfer fee?

25% of any profit?

Usually it's 25% of profit.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 19, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 257
Quoted from pen penfras

Usually it's 25% of profit.

‘Usually!’

We’ll probably end up with shares in ratner’s and oil digging rights on the moon
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 19, 2021, 9:39am; Reply: 258
Most of it will be profit. They only paid about 100k for him.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 19, 2021, 9:47am; Reply: 259
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

‘Usually!’

We’ll probably end up with shares in ratner’s and oil digging rights on the moon

Rigsby thought there was oil in the Pennines  ;)

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, August 19, 2021, 11:17am; Reply: 260

Rigsby thought there was oil in the Pennines  ;)

He also thought he had a chance with Miss Jones.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 31, 2021, 9:00am; Reply: 261
Whilst we don’t have our own window today, it’s arguably one of our most important in years today. Seems like Sheffield United and Stoke are front runners for Dembele, we could really do with one of them stumping up £5m plus in the next 15 hours
Posted by: denni266, August 31, 2021, 9:04am; Reply: 262
Pitty it seems that any cash for us will go strait in to Fentys wallet . Wont help us at the club apart from getting the ex  fan , thats a laugh,  and ex chairman /dictator paid off.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 31, 2021, 9:11am; Reply: 263
Quoted from denni266
Pitty it seems that any cash for us will go strait in to Fentys wallet . Wont help us at the club apart from getting the ex  fan , thats a laugh,  and ex chairman /dictator paid off.

I think it will be a massive help to get rid of the debt liability we have to him, I don't like it but it's the right thing to do.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, August 31, 2021, 9:13am; Reply: 264
Quoted from denni266

Undisclose the fee like fenty used to with former players who were sold, give fenty a fiver out the deal jobs a good un 🤣
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 31, 2021, 9:15am; Reply: 265
Quoted from pontoonlew
Whilst we don’t have our own window today, it’s arguably one of our most important in years today. Seems like Sheffield United and Stoke are front runners for Dembele, we could really do with one of them stumping up £5m plus in the next 15 hours

Whilst it is a shame we can't do as we please with any sell-on, at least it would practically rid the club of its former tyrant and then 1878 can get on with spending income however they want.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 31, 2021, 9:16am; Reply: 266
Quoted from Mendonca1995

Undisclose the fee like fenty used to with former players who were sold, give fenty a fiver out the deal jobs a good un 🤣

I'm annoyed about Fenty insisting but I do think 1878 would have used a good portion of it paying him anyway. Trying to get around it only kicks the can down the road and the sooner he's paid off, the better.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 31, 2021, 9:19am; Reply: 267
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm annoyed about Fenty insisting but I do think 1878 would have used a good portion of it paying him anyway. Trying to get around it only kicks the can down the road and the sooner he's paid off, the better.

Not being able to spend transfer money down kicks our promotion can down the road too. Isn’t the wages cap coming in going to be a flat £900k?
Posted by: davmariner, August 31, 2021, 9:26am; Reply: 268
The sooner we rid ourselves of anything Fenty related, the better IMHO.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 31, 2021, 9:27am; Reply: 269

Not being able to spend transfer money down kicks our promotion can down the road too. Isn’t the wages cap coming in going to be a flat £900k?

Assuming the salary cap doesn't get overturned, I think you are right with £900k. It will push transfer fees up though because if our current budget is £1.2m, we will have a £300k surplus which will set us apart from a team like Weymouth that won't have that surplus.

I'm not sure if bonuses form part of the £900k but there will be ways around it I'm sure.

Any limit on spending should be based on turnover like FFP, not a fixed figure because some teams will be spending beyond their means at £900k.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, August 31, 2021, 9:35am; Reply: 270
No news. Hope I'm wrong but I think he's going to see his contract out. He can sign for Celtic or Rangers in three months on a free transfer.
Posted by: toontown, August 31, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 271
Quoted from fishboyUTM
No news. Hope I'm wrong but I think he's going to see his contract out. He can sign for Celtic or Rangers in three months on a free transfer.

That'd be just our luck! :(
Posted by: ska face, August 31, 2021, 9:46am; Reply: 272
If Peterborough get £4.51m for him, that’s Fenty paid off in full. Anything above that is money in the bank.

Can only imagine he’ll be sold today going on what MacAnthony said last week about their transfer business this summer being done on the basis of Dembele being sold & any fee already now having been spent.

Don’t think they’re short of a few quid but given their model, I just can’t see how they’d let him walk for nothing. Not to say it won’t happen of course, plenty stranger things have happened than that. Let’s just hope Sheff Utd lose their minds after netting £24m for Ramsdale.
Posted by: pizzzza, August 31, 2021, 9:57am; Reply: 273
[url]https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-united-chairman-is-positive-dembele-wont-be-sold-on-transfer-deadline-dayunless-an-unexpected-ridiculous-offer-arrives-3365004[/url]

Feels like posturing to push his price up, maybe...
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 31, 2021, 9:59am; Reply: 274
Quoted from ska face
If Peterborough get £4.51m for him, that’s Fenty paid off in full. Anything above that is money in the bank.

Can only imagine he’ll be sold today going on what MacAnthony said last week about their transfer business this summer being done on the basis of Dembele being sold & any fee already now having been spent.

Don’t think they’re short of a few quid but given their model, I just can’t see how they’d let him walk for nothing. Not to say it won’t happen of course, plenty stranger things have happened than that. Let’s just hope Sheff Utd lose their minds after netting £24m for Ramsdale.

Letting him run his contract down is totally against the Peterborough business model and I bet Barry Fry gets a commission on every sale too.

What is the loan? I thought it was about £1.5m. We have received £250k for Pollock and £160k for Grist so still have £1.1m to repay. Isn't the Dembele sell-on 20% of profit? He was sold for £100k so £5.6m would mean he's paid off.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, August 31, 2021, 10:01am; Reply: 275
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Letting him run his contract down is totally against the Peterborough business model and I bet Barry Fry gets a commission on every sale too.

What is the loan? I thought it was about £1.5m. We have received £250k for Pollock and £160k for Grist so still have £1.1m to repay. Isn't the Dembele sell-on 20% of profit? He was sold for £100k so £5.6m would mean he's paid off.

It probably is profit and he was sold for £300k I think. Unfortunately, Peterborough can't do anything if the player chooses to let his contract run down. Isn't his brother at Celtic? Would be easy to have a word in his ear.
Posted by: ska face, August 31, 2021, 10:04am; Reply: 276
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Pretty sure it’s 25% on anything over £150k. Honest Phil Day confirmed £25% on Humberside, and Fry says £150k in this interview - https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-barry-fry-explains-peterborough-stance-on-dembele-as-celtic-rangers-fulham-are-linked/

Potentially even less if Fenty pocketed the £100k we got when Peterborough were promoted? In which case it’d be a touch over £4.11m to freedom.

In other news, Celtic sell Edourd to Palace for £19m. He’ll need replacing.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 31, 2021, 10:05am; Reply: 277
Quoted from fishboyUTM

It probably is profit and he was sold for £300k I think. Unfortunately, Peterborough can't do anything if the player chooses to let his contract run down. Isn't his brother at Celtic? Would be easy to have a word in his ear.

I forgot that we got the extra £100k this summer. I do think if he refused to move, Peterborough would be very vocal about how they accepted a bid from someone and he decided not to leave.
Posted by: smokey111, August 31, 2021, 10:06am; Reply: 278
Can't see how he can be forced out with a few months before pre contract terms can be agreed. Might be on 10k a week if he moves now but holding on 3 months could see 20k a week and a tidy signing on fee. No brainer for the player. Only risk is picking up an injury before December.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, August 31, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 279
Echo what others have said, sooner the parasite is paid off the better. I would rather him be gone out the club forever. Then we can concentrate on footballing matters, on a positive I don't think Stockwood or Pettit thought they would be getting some huge transfer revenue for players when they first took over so it should be a bonus.

Peterborough have a brilliant and sustainable business model where they usually buy low and sell high. I don't think they will let his contract run down and risk giving them away for free, even if it's a slightly smaller fee than those reported it's still money to us. Let's hope it will be a bidding war today!
Posted by: Brazilnut, August 31, 2021, 11:51am; Reply: 280
Seeing we have agreed to pay 500k a year to JF if we get a mill for SD and pay that to him could the original 500k be used for the team ?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 31, 2021, 11:59am; Reply: 281
Quoted from Brazilnut
Seeing we have agreed to pay 500k a year to JF if we get a mill for SD and pay that to him could the original 500k be used for the team ?

I believe the first payment is budgeted for next summer so I wouldn't expect to see any increased spending this year.

That said, if Hurst feels we need a little bit extra I'm sure the situation will be discussed and evaluated properly.
Posted by: Mikey_345, August 31, 2021, 12:01pm; Reply: 282
Quoted from Brazilnut

Unfortunately not, he managed to get agreement for all transfer fees, until his loans are paid. Can’t blame 1878, he made it a red line apparently so nothing more they could do.

I said elsewhere I understand the get him off our back argument. It just doesn’t sit right with me, plus with him not having shares or involvement it doesn’t have any tangible benefit in doing so, other than being able to say he’s been paid.

3 years in football is a long time and using some of our windfall now would be really handy and beneficial on and off the pitch. The fact he’s removed our option to do that just stinks! Calls himself a fan aswell…

I’m sure Stockwood and Pettit would say it won’t make a difference as they’ve committed to invest what is needed but that’s not the point. Our player sales and their money should not be paying for his 16 years of failure and 200k worth of shares which ain’t bloody his!

Sorry, it really annoys me this! 😂
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 31, 2021, 12:15pm; Reply: 283
Quoted from Mikey_345

Unfortunately not, he managed to get agreement for all transfer fees, until his loans are paid. Can’t blame 1878, he made it a red line apparently so nothing more they could do.

I said elsewhere I understand the get him off our back argument. It just doesn’t sit right with me, plus with him not having shares or involvement it doesn’t have any tangible benefit in doing so, other than being able to say he’s been paid.

3 years in football is a long time and using some of our windfall now would be really handy and beneficial on and off the pitch. The fact he’s removed our option to do that just stinks! Calls himself a fan aswell…

I’m sure Stockwood and Pettit would say it won’t make a difference as they’ve committed to invest what is needed but that’s not the point. Our player sales and their money should not be paying for his 16 years of failure and 200k worth of shares which ain’t bloody his!

Sorry, it really annoys me this! 😂

I wonder what he's entitled to if we don't repay him?

The agreement is with 1878 and not Grimsby Town Ltd.

What if 1878 sold their shares to 1878 II for £1?
Posted by: MarinerRob, August 31, 2021, 12:35pm; Reply: 284
Quoted from jamesgtfc

What if 1878 sold their shares to 1878 II for £1?

When I sold my business I got guarantees from the company as well as personal guarantees from the purchasers (which I insisted on otherwise would not have sold). I would have expected Fenty to have wanted personal guarantees from Andrew and Jason.

Posted by: Poojah, August 31, 2021, 12:45pm; Reply: 285
It's all somewhat irrelevant as it stands unless he goes somewhere. The latest from the Posh camp is that he's going nowhere, though that's just the narrative you'd expect from MacAnthony and Fry.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-united-chairman-is-positive-dembele-wont-be-sold-on-transfer-deadline-dayunless-an-unexpected-ridiculous-offer-arrives-3365004
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 31, 2021, 12:45pm; Reply: 286
Quoted from MarinerRob

When I sold my business I got guarantees from the company as well as personal guarantees from the purchasers (which I insisted on otherwise would not have sold). I would have expected Fenty to have wanted personal guarantees from Andrew and Jason.

For all the administrative errors down the years I am sure he's made sure he has the necessary means to get his money.

And the blackmailed £200k.
Posted by: ska face, August 31, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 287
Quoted from Poojah
It's all somewhat irrelevant as it stands unless he goes somewhere. The latest from the Posh camp is that he's going nowhere, though that's just the narrative you'd expect from MacAnthony and Fry.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-united-chairman-is-positive-dembele-wont-be-sold-on-transfer-deadline-dayunless-an-unexpected-ridiculous-offer-arrives-3365004

Yep, kind of already setting their stall out for the inevitable “it was daft money we couldn’t turn down” or “they met the valuation we’d agreed with Dembele”.

I hope anyway. Oh Christ I hope someone buys him. I’m not having this thread go the same way as the Bogle ones.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2021, 12:58pm; Reply: 288
Dembele has less than 12 hrs to go wherever he is going and have a medical. Not impossible, but unlikely I would have thought.

As good as he is, i dont think there are any teams that will be desperate to sign him for millions, when he could be acquired for free in a few months.

He's good, but not a must have at all costs like some of their previous sold players.

Hope I'm wrong but we dont get that kind of luck usually.
Posted by: Poojah, August 31, 2021, 1:21pm; Reply: 289
Quoted from ginnywings
Dembele has less than 12 hrs to go wherever he is going and have a medical. Not impossible, but unlikely I would have thought.

That's assuming he's currently sat at home playing FIFA as we speak. The day Bogle went to Wigan there was no new whatsoever about his whereabouts or any potential transfer right up until about half past midnight when it was announced he had signed for them.

There could be loads going on behind the scenes (or absolutely fúck all, of course). Either way, today is realistically the last chance both we and Peterborough have for a Dembele windfall and I would be surprised if nothing happened.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 31, 2021, 7:08pm; Reply: 290
It’s a massive gamble on all parties tbh. Do Peterborough play the waiting game, no one comes in and they get nowt. Purchasing club stalls and a n other comes in and finalises the deal. Player holds out to move on a pre contract but gets serious injury or, heaven forbid, there is another COVID affected season and no one comes in for him.

At least it makes the final few hours (the match aside) interesting anyway
Posted by: DB, August 31, 2021, 7:22pm; Reply: 291
He's not going to Celtic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58396397
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 31, 2021, 7:59pm; Reply: 292
Quoted from DB

Is the Greek bloke they signed the nnn nine be at VVV Venlo?
Posted by: DB, August 31, 2021, 8:01pm; Reply: 293

Is the Greek bloke they signed the nnn nine be at VCV Venlo?

I don't know, but he might be double dutch! ;)

Posted by: jaygy, August 31, 2021, 8:21pm; Reply: 294
Darragh Mcantony(sp) on sky sports news now, not heard him mention dembele but the guy seems like a very knowledgeable bloke and speaks highly of gentleman's agreements in football about letting players leave for the right money when they deserve a big move
Posted by: psgmariner, August 31, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 295
He tweeted to say the £2 million valuation some journo mentioned was way off.

https://twitter.com/dmac102/status/1432749788920008705?s=21
Posted by: supertown, August 31, 2021, 10:52pm; Reply: 296
Is that it then, does he go on a freebie ?
Posted by: Grimal, August 31, 2021, 10:59pm; Reply: 297
Quoted from supertown
Is that it then, does he go on a freebie ?

It's not 11pm yet . ;)

update,,,, It is now .

Posted by: pizzzza, August 31, 2021, 11:07pm; Reply: 298
What's 25% of nothing?
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, September 1, 2021, 1:07am; Reply: 299
He can go a for a fee in Jan can't he?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, September 1, 2021, 1:09am; Reply: 300
Yes but it won't be as much, unless you have panic buyers
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 1, 2021, 8:23am; Reply: 301
Suppose the only bright point is it’ll make it a tad harder for someone to pay his tax bill.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 1, 2021, 8:25am; Reply: 302
I’m almost pleased in a way as I’m sure JSF would’ve been sat smugly somewhere a few days ago looking forward to a large bank transfer only to be getting more and more frantic as the days , minutes and then seconds ticked by 😂
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 1, 2021, 8:39am; Reply: 303

Wrexham can still sign him  ;)
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, September 1, 2021, 8:50am; Reply: 304

I've read twice recently that the window has closed for them due to them being Welsh.  Not found confirmation of that but if true, it presumably limits them to free agents...

Posted by: LN8Mariner, September 1, 2021, 8:51am; Reply: 305

No they can’t!
https://www.faw.cymru/en/about-faw/domestic/registration-forms/

Welsh clubs have a transfer window (or to be more accurate the FAW have a point where they cannot be bothered with registrations?) which I guess is why they did so much business so early.
Posted by: Poojah, September 1, 2021, 8:54am; Reply: 306
Quoted from LN8Mariner

No they can’t!
https://www.faw.cymru/en/about-faw/domestic/registration-forms/

Welsh clubs have a transfer window (or to be more accurate the FAW have a point where they cannot be bothered with registrations?) which I guess is why they did so much business so early.

Really odd how Wrexham (and presumably Cardiff, Swansea and Newport) are all part of the English football system and yet fall under the jurisdiction of the Welsh FA.

I remember having a player sent off in the play-offs a few years back, only for the player to have his suspension overturned by the Welsh FA. How does that work?
Posted by: LN8Mariner, September 1, 2021, 8:59am; Reply: 307
Quoted from Poojah

Really odd how Wrexham (and presumably Cardiff, Swansea and Newport) are all part of the English football system and yet fall under the jurisdiction of the Welsh FA.

I remember having a player sent off in the play-offs a few years back, only for the player to have his suspension overturned by the Welsh FA. How does that work?

Not sure about rescinding red cards but for league teams the window is not a problem really is it? I did notice that they need international clearance for players to come into Wales even from within the UK.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 1, 2021, 9:03am; Reply: 308
Quoted from LN8Mariner

Not sure about rescinding red cards but for league teams the window is not a problem really is it? I did notice that they need international clearance for players to come into Wales even from within the UK.

I think we needed international clearance when we signed Sisay last year. Not sure about Pearson because he was signed well before we kicked a ball.
Posted by: tashee69, September 1, 2021, 9:57am; Reply: 309
Quoted from LN8Mariner

When we signed Disco Des from Cardiff. I seem to remember something about awaiting international clearance.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 1, 2021, 11:15am; Reply: 310
Quoted from tashee69

When we signed Disco Des from Cardiff. I seem to remember something about awaiting international clearance.

Yeah, we missed the March 2003 deadline because of it. If he'd come in then we'd probably* have stayed in the second tier that season.

*most definitely.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, September 1, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 311
Suppose the only bright point is it’ll make it a tad harder for someone to pay his tax bill.

Hmm. Sadly, based on Tony Butcher's comments, 'someone' is the new owners of the club and it means there's less money in general. Any money we got for Dembele could have been put into the next payment to the Principle Funder without impacting the day to day costs of running the club.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 1, 2021, 11:34am; Reply: 312
To be fair, he should be able to pay his tax bill with the money from selling up now.

It's just under £1.4m and he got the best part of £1m for his shares, £100k from Dembele achieving promotion with Peterborough and then £400k from the sale of Pollock and Grist.
Posted by: lukeo, September 1, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 313
I'm sorry to bore you all but I'm confused with it all 😂
How much do we owe JF and how much is likely to have already been paid off with the player sales.
I think our new owners are brilliant and a breathe of fresh air. I don't expect this information to be given to us but if it was it would be the icing on the cake of the take over (it may well be shown already and I've missed it)
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 1, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 314
Quoted from lukeo
I'm sorry to bore you all but I'm confused with it all 😂
How much do we owe JF and how much is likely to have already been paid off with the player sales.
I think our new owners are brilliant and a breathe of fresh air. I don't expect this information to be given to us but if it was it would be the icing on the cake of the take over (it may well be shown already and I've missed it)

It's about three annual installments of 500k, none of which has been paid to date. With the transfer fees adding upto 510k that presumably brings it down to two installments one due the end of this year, one next.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 12:37pm