Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, December 5, 2020, 8:00pm
Nail on head. Theres of course theres the deluded few who think Without JF we wouldnt have a club. Wrong. We must have change. So many clubs who have gone up from the conference and pushed on. And guess what. We penny pinched and continue to do so and we remain in the excrement. Go john. Please.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LloydGriffith/status/1335306250519711744
Posted by: davmariner, December 5, 2020, 8:02pm; Reply: 1
Fenty out and take your yes men with you!!
Posted by: Hagrid, December 5, 2020, 8:04pm; Reply: 2
Supposedly telling a current player to get a part time job........
Posted by: davmariner, December 5, 2020, 8:24pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Hagrid

Well he is a Tory so not much of a surprise if true
Posted by: KingsleysHair, December 5, 2020, 8:26pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Hagrid

Max Wright according to replies (people who know Max). Treating one of your own like that is beyond disgusting...In his new contract press release he said he’s been let down at times in the past, makes sense.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2020, 8:30pm; Reply: 5
About time too. Grimsby Town Football Club has been run for the last few years with a contingency to pay back 150k of the benign loan on an ongoing basis. This is a loan account that got built up by successive bad managerial appointments, poor signings and multiple poor decisions and years in non league. As a result, the loyal fans, who have continued to dip their hands in their pockets, have been, at best, short changed.

The worst of this is some fans still see him as the club’s saviour. He isn’t.
Posted by: pizzzza, December 5, 2020, 8:32pm; Reply: 6
He is the common denominator throughout all these bad times.
Posted by: Green27, December 5, 2020, 8:56pm; Reply: 7
Vernam was happy to take a contract at £100 more a week but was offered £100 a week less than he was on. I’m sure we’ve all heard story’s like this and worse.
Posted by: LH, December 5, 2020, 8:57pm; Reply: 8
Not defending the alleged comment from Fenty at all but the PFA did tell all players not to agree to pay cuts at the begninning. Probably to protect them from exploitation like this.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 5, 2020, 8:58pm; Reply: 9

"The football club's PR is done on the field."
Posted by: TAGG, December 5, 2020, 9:05pm; Reply: 10
I am honestly baffled and cant get it through my scull that there are still Town fans who support Mr Fenty
He takes money from the club to pay a debt to him that is of his own making.
He should have gone years ago.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 5, 2020, 9:06pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingsleysHair

Max Wright according to replies (people who know Max). Treating one of your own like that is beyond disgusting...In his new contract press release he said he’s been let down at times in the past, makes sense.

Jesus, this cannot be true, even for this club?
Posted by: Hagrid, December 5, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from TAGG
I am honestly baffled and cant get it through my scull that there are still Town fans who support Mr Fenty
He takes money from the club to pay a debt to him that is of his own making.
He should have gone years ago.

Those that support him are part of the problem.
Posted by: mimma, December 5, 2020, 9:09pm; Reply: 13
Why must we have the same conversation about Fenty every week? This topic just goes round and round then back to the beginning every time. It has become monotonous and there is never anything new to say.

Unless someone comes in to buy Fenty out we are stuck with what we have. Maybe Lloyd Griffiths could put his money where his mouth is and make Fenty an offer if he is that bothered, and that is the problem we have. A lack of someone with the money to take us forward.
Posted by: Green27, December 5, 2020, 9:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from mimma
Why must we have the same conversation about Fenty every week? This topic just goes round and round then back to the beginning every time. It has become monotonous and there is never anything new to say.

Unless someone comes in to buy Fenty out we are stuck with what we have. Maybe Lloyd Griffiths could put his money where his mouth is and make Fenty an offer if he is that bothered, and that is the problem we have. A lack of someone with the money to take us forward.

But there was an offer for the club and they’re still wanting to take it. Stop peddling this crap. You’re just doing the boards bidding by following their narrative.
Posted by: TAGG, December 5, 2020, 9:11pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Hagrid

Those that support him are part of the problem.

Totaly agree
They just feeds Mr Fentys ego
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 5, 2020, 9:12pm; Reply: 16
What's this Max Wright stuff not heard this before?
Posted by: TAGG, December 5, 2020, 9:12pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from mimma

Someone did come in to buy the club.
The ego wouldn't let it go
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 5, 2020, 9:15pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Hagrid
Nail on head. Theres of course theres the deluded few who think Without JF we wouldnt have a club. Wrong. We must have change. So many clubs who have gone up from the conference and pushed on. And guess what. We penny pinched and continue to do so and we remain in the excrement. Go john. Please.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LloydGriffith/status/1335306250519711744

He’s well behind everyone else here.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 5, 2020, 9:23pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
What's this Max Wright stuff not heard this before?

Same, need some sources here people. 🧐🤔

Is this speculation or fact?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2020, 9:27pm; Reply: 20

If there’s any truth in this then there should be questions. The saddest part is that it doesn’t surprise me.
Posted by: denni266, December 5, 2020, 9:33pm; Reply: 21
Disgusting if it is true
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2020, 9:38pm; Reply: 22
I mean, surely nobody is surprised Fenty is the reason, as a club, we’ve literally treaded water for nearly 20 years?

We’re staring relegation in the face, first time round, how the intercourse he survived is anyone’s guess but a second time, Covid or not is just unfucking forgivable.

The club is a joke, we’ve a leader who is allegedly taking step back yet is clearly in complete control. A manager who’s lost the flipping plot and squad, sadly, made up of Sunday league players and some experienced but just alright players...
Posted by: TAGG, December 5, 2020, 9:41pm; Reply: 23

Is this the lowest of the many low points the Club has suffered under that man??

If true its flipping disgusting.
Posted by: bawarmy, December 5, 2020, 9:42pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from aldi_01
I mean, surely nobody is surprised Fenty is the reason, as a club, we’ve literally treaded water for nearly 20 years?

We’re staring relegation in the face, first time round, how the intercourse he survived is anyone’s guess but a second time, Covid or not is just unfucking forgivable.

The club is a joke, we’ve a leader who is allegedly taking step back yet is clearly in complete control. A manager who’s lost the flipping plot and squad, sadly, made up of Sunday league players and some experienced but just alright players...

He has only stepped back for political reasons. I have been told he can’t be chairman and on the council while the plans for the new ground go ahead. He will be back!
Posted by: Hagrid, December 5, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from aldi_01

Blokes doing his best i do think, but my god it cant be easy working under that man. Well run club? We’re a flipping laughing stock
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 5, 2020, 9:45pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from bawarmy

He has only stepped back for political reasons. I have been told he can’t be chairman and on the council while the plans for the new ground go ahead. He will be back!

He has not been the chairman for years.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2020, 9:48pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from grimsby pete

He has not been the chairman for years.

Maybe not but he’s still in complete control. Remember that a fish rots from the head.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2020, 9:51pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Maybe not but he’s still in complete control. Remember that a fish rots from the head.

Call himself whatever he wants, when you’ve created a board of your chums ya can do what the intercourse you want.

Day is a puppet, Marley is a waste of oxygen and the rest...I mean, so irrelevant it’s hard to remember them...
Posted by: KingsleysHair, December 5, 2020, 9:52pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Same, need some sources here people. 🧐🤔

Is this speculation or fact?

If you check many of the replies and mentions of it online, a significant number of people have known about it since the summer when it happened, and a large number of those know the lad personally. They would be the first to speak up if it was BS.
Posted by: mimma, December 5, 2020, 9:59pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Green27

But there was an offer for the club and they’re still wanting to take it. Stop peddling this crap. You’re just doing the boards bidding by following their narrative.

We have had this conversation before on a previous thread. If you are referring to Tom Shutes, Fenty openly stated the price had been agreed and waited for Shutes "to get his ducks in line", meaning sort the finances out of course that never happened,  and apart from an article in the Telegraph, we've never heard from him.  Of course it stands to reason that it must be down to Fenty..
Posted by: mariner91, December 5, 2020, 10:03pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from mimma

We have had this conversation before on a previous thread. If you are referring to Tom Shutes, Fenty openly stated the price had been agreed and waited for Shutes "to get his ducks in line", meaning sort the finances out of course that never happened,  and apart from an article in the Telegraph, we've never heard from him.  Of course it stands to reason that it must be down to Fenty..

Yeah because Fenty is well known for always telling the absolute truth and he's never gone back on his word ever.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from mimma

In all likelihood, Tom Shutes still wonders why John Fenty wants 3.5 million for something that’s worth Jack Shitt.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 5, 2020, 10:06pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from mimma

It is down to fenty. Open your eyes
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2020, 10:06pm; Reply: 34
flipping hell Mimma, what sort of bike has Fenty got you for Christmas?

Shutes didn’t need to get ducks in a line or prove anything, let alone play the stupid games of an owner that isn’t arsed about actually selling the club...nor did he need to actually put out a stammer or any nonsense like that.

There’s been offers to buy, some public, some not and the outcome is always the same...
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 5, 2020, 10:15pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know that I was replying to the comment that he had stepped down from chairman because he's on the council who will agree to a new ground.

I don't think there is a bigger critic of Fenty than me don't forget I got suspended for going over the top calling him in every post.
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 5, 2020, 10:23pm; Reply: 36
It's been going on for years,trying to get Danny Coyne to take a pay cut,not playing Jeavons because it would trigger an appearance clause in his contract and a payment to Everton. Every decision at this club is finance and not football based,think this time Fenty has killed golden goose.
Posted by: Maringer, December 5, 2020, 10:24pm; Reply: 37
Thing is, crap though Fenty may be, it doesn't mean that Shutes (or A.N. Other) would necessarily have been any better.

That's the situation. Perhaps, as he's been crap himself, Fenty recognises similar elsewhere. Takes one to know one and so on.  ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2020, 10:26pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Maringer
Thing is, crap though Fenty may be, it doesn't mean that Shutes (or A.N. Other) would necessarily have been any better.

That's the situation. Perhaps, as he's been crap himself, Fenty recognises similar elsewhere. Takes one to know one and so on.  ;)

So we’ve got to put up with another two decades of this before he finds someone worse?
Posted by: ska face, December 5, 2020, 10:48pm; Reply: 39
Fenty’s made a rod for his own back in appointing Holloway.

When things start to get on top for him, he usually throws a manager under the bus and buys himself another year or so.

He’ll not be able get away with it this time, and regardless of what mistakes the players or manager make each week, even the most forgiving fans can no-longer deny the clear link between Fenty’s penny-pinching and our underperforming. It’s the same every week, and Honest John is lucky that he’s unlikely to see a full BP this season.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2020, 10:51pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ska face
Fenty’s made a rod for his own back in appointing Holloway.

When things start to get on top for him, he usually throws a manager under the bus and buys himself another year or so.

He’ll not be able get away with it this time, and regardless of what mistakes the players or manager make each week, even the most forgiving fans can no-longer deny the clear link between Fenty’s penny-pinching and our underperforming. It’s the same every week, and Honest John is lucky that he’s unlikely to see a full BP this season.

The point I’ve been trying to make for weeks. If a manager of Holloway’s calibre is struggling to make a success of Grimsby Town then it’s Grimsby Town that’s the problem.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2020, 10:55pm; Reply: 41
To be fair, I’ve been thinking, a bloke of Holloway’s stature could’ve actually won more fans over by calling the club out.

No way the club would’ve sacked him, so they’d have to have backed him.

Instead, he’s just blamed everything except himself and the club continues on this path of terminal illness...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2020, 11:10pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from bawarmy

It’s absolute BS that he stood aside because of a conflict of interest. He still controls the club, he is still the majority shareholder. Whether or not he goes anywhere near the boardroom he had a personal interest in the club prospering from a new ground. There is therefore a potential conflict of interest, and there always will be unless he either:

(A) relinquishes his shares in the club or
(B) steps down from any involvement on the council with planning.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 5, 2020, 11:11pm; Reply: 43
Looks like Lloyd wont be getting the warm up gig at the summer barbeque or be welcomed into b.p to make any videos in the near future.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2020, 11:11pm; Reply: 44
Mimma, we have this conversation every week because every week John Fenty controls Grimsby Town Football Club. When that stops the topic will change.
Posted by: davmariner, December 6, 2020, 1:21am; Reply: 45
I think it’s time that Holloway learn quickly that corner cutting is not the same as running a club well.
Posted by: grimps, December 6, 2020, 2:31am; Reply: 46
If I was to have bought a department store that was struggling 20 years ago that I liked to shop in ever week do you think I’d be able to sell if for the same price if it was now a corner shop ?

Fenty made a bad investment , yes I know he might have done it for the good of the club he loved but he can’t expect to get his money back after all the years erosion
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 6, 2020, 4:16am; Reply: 47
Quoted from grimps
If I was to have bought a department store that was struggling 20 years ago that I liked to shop in ever week do you think I’d be able to sell if for the same price if it was now a corner shop ?

Fenty made a bad investment , yes I know he might have done it for the good of the club he loved but he can’t expect to get his money back after all the years erosion

This is my opinion as well, his poor management of the club has cost it millions of pounds as he said if I remember correctly after the Burton game, we would lose £500,000 a season being out of the Football League.

If he should get his total loans back and he walks away he should give the Trust back their shares.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 6, 2020, 7:37am; Reply: 48
Throughout his tenure Fenty has always talked about not devaluing the product; ironically that is exactly what he has done. He actually been awful at running the club and whilst some may point at turning a profit as some sort of success, in truth it is pointless turning profit if you simply exist.

Aside from a few of the big clubs, football clubs don’t make profit, they, in theory don’t make you rich as such. Logic would suggest that given sport is about success and achievement. If people want that then reinvesting any profit made makes total sense, having it say in the bank, or in our case, being handed to the owner makes zero sense, especially when it isn’t being used to pay off the loans owed to that person.

We’ve finally brought a manager in who seemingly has a bit of clout and generally the support of many fans, he has made bold sweeping statements about the club being well run but it’s clear to see pressure is getting to him and we’ve gone from his phone melting with players wanting to sign to nobody wants to come here.

I’d assume that is likely caused by a number of factors but I’d imagine a excrement contract is one of them. People may leap to Fenty’s defence during this pandemic but in truth we didn’t need a Covid contract.

Again, when Fenty oversaw our previous relegation out of the league, something he seemingly got away with, he said the club would lose cash hand over fist, yet here we are again, entering those realms. Surely he’s going to pedal that same story? If so, that points to a poorly run club if they heading for it with their eyes closed again after already proving how difficult it was to return and financially work?

For those fans, Fenty included, that believe existing is the most important thing, surely that’s much easier to do in the league rather than out of it.

For a bloke who allegedly supports the club and is a fan, he really doesn’t have its best interests at heart. If he did, he’d walk away. Nobody said Shutes would be better, nobody is expecting a Russian oligarch or Middle Eastern magician but even the biggest fans of Fenty are running out of made up reasons to support his atrocious leadership of the club...

People can say better the devil but at this stage, we need change, we need fresh ideas and we need fresh blood...
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 6, 2020, 7:55am; Reply: 49
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If there’s any truth in this then there should be questions. The saddest part is that it doesn’t surprise me.

It’s true I was told this in the summer a current player told my nephew
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 6, 2020, 8:06am; Reply: 50
Quoted from promotion plaice

"The football club's PR is done on the field."

When I heard him say this I realised how bad things were
Posted by: pontoonlew, December 6, 2020, 8:20am; Reply: 51
As well as (rightfully) slating Fenty can we spare a moment to dish out similar words to Philip Day who has continued the absolute circus in the boardroom with his shockingly naive running of the football club since he took charge
Posted by: aldi_01, December 6, 2020, 8:23am; Reply: 52
Quoted from pontoonlew
As well as (rightfully) slating Fenty can we spare a moment to dish out similar words to Philip Day who has continued the absolute circus in the boardroom with his shockingly naive running of the football club since he took charge

What has concerned me with Day seemingly ‘captaining the ship’ (we know he’s merely a puppet) is that people think he’s doing a good job too...based on what is anyone’s guess.

Let’s face it, get rid of Fenty and they all go too. They’re literally only there because of him.

In truth they all need to go, they contribute nothing and clearly give zero felicitations for the club...
Posted by: quebec38, December 6, 2020, 8:44am; Reply: 53
I don’t support Fenty in any way, shape or form, but I don’t see why a narrow defeat away at Colchester has brought LG as well as others out to knock JF at full time today.

We definitely need money (a new owner) from somewhere, but tell us something we don’t know...
Posted by: aldi_01, December 6, 2020, 8:51am; Reply: 54
Quoted from quebec38
I don’t support Fenty in any way, shape or form, but I don’t see why a narrow defeat away at Colchester has brought LG as well as others out to knock JF at full time today.

We definitely need money (a new owner) from somewhere, but tell us something we don’t know...

I don’t think it’s just specific to this game but I think, given the way we knocked on the door but ultimately looked impotent up front, for many, the writing is on the walls...again.

Our issues are much greater than simply telling a manager or wasting money on more players again...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 6, 2020, 8:54am; Reply: 55
Quoted from quebec38

Because it’s the continuation of a dismal run similar to those we’ve had in every season we’ve been back in the league. Maybe, like many, Lloyd thought that a top manager was the solution. Like many, he now probably realises that if Ian Holloway can’t sort us out, nobody will.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, December 6, 2020, 9:17am; Reply: 56
We’re like Ratners with Fenty in charge....
Posted by: Ipswin, December 6, 2020, 9:37am; Reply: 57
Quoted from friskneymariner
,think this time Fenty has killed golden goose.
#

It's never been a golden goose it's always been and will continue to be a lead chicken Thats why the Fenty loans exist If it was a golden goose he wouldn't have had to put money in.

Posted by: Ipswin, December 6, 2020, 9:39am; Reply: 58
Quoted from moosey_club
Looks like Lloyd wont be getting the warm up gig at the summer barbeque or be welcomed into b.p to make any videos in the near future.

Good, teach him to keep his gob shut.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 6, 2020, 10:04am; Reply: 59
Quoted from aldi_01

What has concerned me with Day seemingly ‘captaining the ship’ (we know he’s merely a puppet) is that people think he’s doing a good job too...based on what is anyone’s guess.

Let’s face it, get rid of Fenty and they all go too. They’re literally only there because of him.

In truth they all need to go, they contribute nothing and clearly give zero felicitations for the club...

At first, for a week or two anyway I thought Day came across ok or an improvement on JF anyway.

It’s clear though he’s reverted back to type and he needs to “shut up” in the media before he further disengages those who do and have supported the club.

Here’s an example, I bought a season ticket knowing I may not get a refund, my decision and I’m not moaning about it. Day did a radio Q&A with Matt Dean recently and I submitted the following question.....

“How do you justify the non refund policy”? When Matt asked the question Day’s response was “we made it clear supporters wouldn’t get refunds”. Which didn’t quite answer the question and he moved on to the next one quite quickly.

Do I expect them to put a proportion of their wealth into the club? Yes to a degree but I get it if there comes a time when they can no longer throw their own personal cash at it. What I don’t get and find really frustrating is there lack of any sort of plan to attract new investment. Clearly there’s been interest but as John’s way is the only way that interest didn’t last long.
Posted by: Stadium, December 6, 2020, 10:40am; Reply: 60
Quoted from HertsGTFC

At first, for a week or two anyway I thought Day came across ok or an improvement on JF anyway.

It’s clear though he’s reverted back to type and he needs to “shut up” in the media before he further disengages those who do and have supported the club.

Here’s an example, I bought a season ticket knowing I may not get a refund, my decision and I’m not moaning about it. Day did a radio Q&A with Matt Dean recently and I submitted the following question.....

“How do you justify the non refund policy”? When Matt asked the question Day’s response was “we made it clear supporters wouldn’t get refunds”. Which didn’t quite answer the question and he moved on to the next one quite quickly.

Do I expect them to put a proportion of their wealth into the club? Yes to a degree but I get it if there comes a time when they can no longer throw their own personal cash at it. What I don’t get and find really frustrating is there lack of any sort of plan to attract new investment. Clearly there’s been interest but as John’s way is the only way that interest didn’t last long.

Harsh.
You got a free calendar.
Seriously though,he's just a cardboard cutout when you listen to his responses.

Posted by: barralad, December 6, 2020, 10:41am; Reply: 61
Quoted from bawarmy

I take it from this that you believe that the fact he is the largest shareholder has zero effect from a vested interest point of view?
Christ when Great Coates was on the table having a season ticket was enough to get you barred from involvement in decision making.
Posted by: marinerjase, December 6, 2020, 10:43am; Reply: 62
Things will never change whilst people actively support.  Every time the club need something the fans jump in raising money, even when it’s not necessarily needed. They know that.

Damned if you do - damned if you don’t.

But until people who are fed up with the board - not just JF - and act on it, instead of just hashtags and posts - and ‘protests’ of 100 people in a car park for half hour.

IF you/they want change - you have to force it. Peacefully. The only way of doing it is either not go, not subscribe to IFollow, not purchasing anything from club shop - give them nothing. There’ll inevitably be threats made by powers that be re future of club etc etc - but that’s the only way. UNTIL a common ground can be found with the investors who WANT to come in, without being held to stipulations that don’t apply to the current set up.

Whether the fans, and trust - need to step up together and work in unison in forcing a vote of no confidence on board is another matter/way - but that’ll never happen as they’ve a place on the board.

So, maybe up to the fans to work with the potential investors?  Let it be known they’ll be backed, that things can’t carry on - show support both public and private, raise funds if need be WITH them.

As things stand nothing will change anytime soon. The club will be run with the intent on just paying back loans, whilst dying a slow undignified death. Like it has been for years.

Awful facilities allowed to get run down, horrible training ground and facilities, players in on the cheap, no ambition. It’s not just us who know it/can see.

Need to stop the slide. Before it’s too late.
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 6, 2020, 10:44am; Reply: 63
I am genuinely intrigued there appears to be a bunch of 4-5 who regularly red cross any anti Fenty post. Could you explain to me please the benefit  he brings to one who has witnessed the terminal decline of this club under his watch, what do you see in him,or are you related  to him?
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 6, 2020, 11:07am; Reply: 64
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The point I’ve been trying to make for weeks. If a manager of Holloway’s calibre is struggling to make a success of Grimsby Town then it’s Grimsby Town that’s the problem.

Absolutely. How he's here is beyond me and I'll give credit to John Fenty for briniging him here. That's the only credit he will get with me. I don't want to go back to BP as it stands, I've given enough emotional, time and financial commitment to the club. Losing Charles Vernam by allowing his contract to run out then murkying the water with tales of poor EFL advice killed me. It's like halving John Mcdermotts wage, benching Jevvo, allowing every player of the years contract to just simply expire and leave on a Bosman. The ground is a state, the training centre is just a couple of pitches and two portacabins. The clubs status has shrunk to a degree that the wider footballing world has us in the same bracket as Morcambe, we look up to Accrington Stanley.

Until John Fenty has gone, we are wasting our time, pissing in the wind.

Ollie will be gone soon, one way or another and if he can't do anything with the club then we might as well not bother.
Posted by: Henryscat, December 6, 2020, 11:12am; Reply: 65
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Absolutely. How he's here is beyond me and I'll give credit to John Fenty for briniging him here. That's the only credit he will get with me. I don't want to go back to BP as it stands, I've given enough emotional, time and financial commitment to the club. Losing Charles Vernam by allowing his contract to run out then murkying the water with tales of poor EFL advice killed me. It's like halving John Mcdermotts wage, benching Jevvo, allowing every player of the years contract to just simply expire and leave on a Bosman. The ground is a state, the training centre is just a couple of pitches and two portacabins. The clubs status has shrunk to a degree that the wider footballing world has us in the same bracket as Morcambe, we look up to Accrington Stanley.

Ollie will be gone soon, one way or another and if he can't do anything with the club then we might as well not bother.

Morecambe have a new ground
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 6, 2020, 11:17am; Reply: 66
I too feel like fishboy after supporting Town for 58 years I have made the decision not to go back to B.P. whilst Fenty has anything to do with the club.After giving it much thought ,I have come to the conclusion by buying a season ticket year in year out I am part of the problem.I and many others are enabling Fenty and withdrawing my support is the only action I have.
Very painful in the short term but it is for the long term benefit of the club,I can no longer be complicit in the decline of this once great club.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 6, 2020, 11:19am; Reply: 67
Quoted from Henryscat

Morecambe have a new ground

Thought that when I typed it, looks okay from the outside but made of breeze blocks. Though your point stands.
Posted by: Vance Warner, December 6, 2020, 11:24am; Reply: 68
I too feel like fishboy after supporting Town for 58 years I have made the decision not to go back to B.P. whilst Fenty has anything to do with the club.After giving it much thought ,I have come to the conclusion by buying a season ticket year in year out I am part of the problem.I and many others are enabling Fenty and withdrawing my support is the only action I have.
Very painful in the short term but it is for the long term benefit of the club,I can no longer be complicit in the decline of this once great club.

Sorry you feel like that but totally understand. I must admit I feel like a mug for buying shares in the summer. All I have done is help JF claim back money from the club.
Posted by: barralad, December 6, 2020, 12:27pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Vance Warner

Sorry you feel like that but totally understand. I must admit I feel like a mug for buying shares in the summer. All I have done is help JF claim back money from the club.

I realise things are not great but I'd take serious issue with the fact that by paying over money for shares all you've done is help JF get his money back. Where do you think the money to put out a team has come from? That share money and the season ticket money and anything people put into the Trusts or other fundraisers has contributed massively to us being able to compete. At the very least it has prevented further bailouts by JF which would exacerbate the situation for many of the contributors to this thread. I'm sorry but to say that the first beneficiary of money paid in will be JFs bank balance is not only wrong but given that if things don't improve we may need to seek further fundraising possibly quite dangerous.
Posted by: sam gy, December 6, 2020, 12:45pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from aldi_01
He actually been awful at running the club and whilst some may point at turning a profit as some sort of success, in truth it is pointless turning profit if you simply exist.

The Conservative Party in a nut shell.

The poorer in society are existing, just. Although their quality of life is getting worse year on year. Just like the football club.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 6, 2020, 12:47pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from barralad

I realise things are not great but I'd take serious issue with the fact that by paying over money for shares all you've done is help JF get his money back. Where do you think the money to put out a team has come from? That share money and the season ticket money and anything people put into the Trusts or other fundraisers has contributed massively to us being able to compete. At the very least it has prevented further bailouts by JF which would exacerbate the situation for many of the contributors to this thread. I'm sorry but to say that the first beneficiary of money paid in will be JFs bank balance is not only wrong but given that if things don't improve we may need to seek further fundraising possibly quite dangerous.

It would be much easier to raise money for a fans run club than it is to raise money for a majority shareholder who is just trying to claw back cash that he's spent on poor managers and players. He says he's a fan - it's time he started acting in the best interests of the club rather than thumbing his nose at the rest of us.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 6, 2020, 12:47pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from barralad

That is a false argument surely?

Any extra funds that go into the club help Fenty. He knows that and that is why he has been able to pull too much wool over too many eyes.

The fans, one way or another, contribute all the income don't they? I am including business sponsors in that as they are fans too.

All the money he has taken back so far is fans income, is it not??  
Posted by: barralad, December 6, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 73

That is a false argument surely?

Any extra funds that go into the club help Fenty. He knows that and that is why he has been able to pull too much wool over too many eyes.

The fans, one way or another, contribute all the income don't they? I am including business sponsors in that as they are fans too.

All the money he has taken back so far is fans income, is it not??  

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say here. The monies fans put in helped to keep the club going. The alternative would have been for JF to have been true to his word about covering the losses. If you want to see the back of him why on Earth would you want that to happen?
It is a nonsense to say that the money donated by the various means was wasted.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 6, 2020, 1:10pm; Reply: 74
Pre Covid their were multiple suitors for the club.

The appetite to sell disappeared with the sniff off success when Holloway came in.
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, December 6, 2020, 1:20pm; Reply: 75
Why has a pub comedian got so much notoriety on here?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 6, 2020, 1:23pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from barralad

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say here. The monies fans put in helped to keep the club going. The alternative would have been for JF to have been true to his word about covering the losses. If you want to see the back of him why on Earth would you want that to happen?
It is a nonsense to say that the money donated by the various means was wasted.

So in reality what you're saying is the fans fundraising covered the costs so he didn't have to? And that's a good thing? That he was still able to take back some loan money because the fans had dipped in their pockets? And then the Max Wright thing?
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 6, 2020, 1:26pm; Reply: 77
Fenty knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing,totally devoid of any emotional intelligence.
Posted by: barralad, December 6, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So in reality what you're saying is the fans fundraising covered the costs so he didn't have to? And that's a good thing? That he was still able to take back some loan money because the fans had dipped in their pockets? And then the Max Wright thing?

I may be wrong but I'm not aware of JF taking back any money in this financial year..
No matter... what I'm saying is that having read the majority of the comments in this thread it appears to me that the last thing posters want is to be further in debt to him. You can't have it both ways...
Posted by: Boris Johnson, December 6, 2020, 1:52pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
Why has a pub comedian got so much notoriety on here?

Comedian is stretching it a bit
Posted by: Ipswin, December 6, 2020, 2:04pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Comedian is stretching it a bit

Stretching it a lot

Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 6, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It’s absolute BS that he stood aside because of a conflict of interest. He still controls the club, he is still the majority shareholder. Whether or not he goes anywhere near the boardroom he had a personal interest in the club prospering from a new ground. There is therefore a potential conflict of interest, and there always will be unless he either:

(A) relinquishes his shares in the club or
(B) steps down from any involvement on the council with planning.

Any of the red crossers care to point out why my comment above is wrong?
Posted by: OneLove, December 6, 2020, 2:12pm; Reply: 82
If the rot was a true town fan he would of helped the club out, driven it forward and got a new ground. Unfortunately its all in reverse, no new ground, plummeted to an all time low of non league football, 16+ managers since his takeover with no stability, the chances of investment sent packing because of its power freak nature, ruthless pay cuts to players while profiting each season, putting it on the fans to raise money. Take out the rot and you'll get fans back, instead he's destroying the club losing fans and won't be too long before manager no17 is on his way down the a180. And for any supporter to say this man saved the club, its us who's saved the club. Until then RIP GTFC I'll return when the rots gone!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 6, 2020, 2:31pm; Reply: 83
The guy just cannot stop himself. He was supposed to be taking a back seat, yet with Holloway’s revelation over the Mohsni shenanigans, it seems that Fenty is in charge of contract negotiations.

Well, if you add the Covid clause issue, and the comments about Max Wright being told to get a part time job (allegedly), it all adds up to more  self-defeating penny pinching. Now the Covid clause might only seem like a bad idea in hindsight, but when you’re recruiting for talent in a national (maybe even international) market you have to follow market norms or you end up with talent that nobody else wants. If you’re worried about going out of business because you don’t have enough money to pay the bills, not having good enough people is a sure way of  ending up in that position.

We seem to be in a never ending cycle. Do we pay the debt off to get rid of Fenty (obv there’s his shareholding too) or do we not pay it off and spend on the squad? The problem with the former is you reward failure. The problem with the latter is he continues to meddle and mess things up. We’ve actually got the worst of both worlds because we’ve been paying it off bit by bit (except 2020) but we still have him meddling.

We still also have the potential conflict of interest while he still controls the club. The only options with this are for him to get rid of the shares and debt or stand down from any role on the council where he is involved in planning.

So we really need the Trust to step forward and initiate a discussion about how we move forward. Personally I think we should offer a deal whereby the Trust gets the 200,000 (or was it 250,000) shares back that were given to him, buys the rest over time, and the loans get written off as a gesture of goodwill to the people of NE Lincs (you know like Fred Parks and other bigwigs did in the past). Meanwhile, leave contract negotiations with the professionals.

The club is turning a profit most years so the old canard about funding a shortfall ought to be something we could manage on our own.
Posted by: rancido, December 6, 2020, 2:32pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from bawarmy

That is wrong. He can be Chairman of the club and be on the Council BUT he cannot be involved with any Council discussions or decisions to do with the new ground.
Posted by: rancido, December 6, 2020, 2:59pm; Reply: 85
The views on Fenty , at least as far as The Fishy is concerned , are very polarized into two camps - for or against. Whilst not wanting to get too involved in this there is one gesture that JF and the Board could make to demonstrate their love and concern for our club while this pandemic affects us. I bought a ST knowing full well that there was a strong possibility that I may not see a game or at least not a full compliment of matches. Therefore if we are not allowed into BP or only for a limited number of games then the amount of money we ST's have lost should be matched by the Board , including JF, as an act of good faith. If we are all in this together then surely the losses we , as fans, have lost should be matched by those controlling the club.
Posted by: Cambridgefish, December 6, 2020, 3:07pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I went to Morecambe last year. Quite impressed with their ground to be fair.
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 6, 2020, 3:20pm; Reply: 87
I am genuinely intrigued there appears to be a bunch of 4-5 who regularly red cross any anti Fenty post. Could you explain to me please the benefit  he brings to one who has witnessed the terminal decline of this club under his watch, what do you see in him,or are you related  to him?

6  red crosses but no one has the guts to put their head over the parapet to defend him,only conclusion is the pro Fenty brigade do not have the courage to defend their convictions.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 6, 2020, 3:34pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from barralad

I may be wrong but I'm not aware of JF taking back any money in this financial year..
No matter... what I'm saying is that having read the majority of the comments in this thread it appears to me that the last thing posters want is to be further in debt to him. You can't have it both ways...

The problem Barra is somehow the thinking is that any additional funds for GTFC should automatically be a loan ie increased conditional debt.. It's ingrained into the NE Lincs psyche the past twenty years as if it's the only way. If additional funds and the "benign" debt were additional share purchases then the value of the club could be measured correctly. There are around 2.25m shares issued, if the JF loans not an immovable debt and converted into shares, that would take the amount of shareholding to around 3.8m shares of a pound each. Now we all know that the club as it stands isn't worth nearly 4m quid, but what would happen is that a potential buyer could offer a more realistic 25p or 50p in the pound. It's much more workable and much more honest. Not 1.55m in loans to be paid back no matter what then make a bid for the 2.25m shares. Why should JF's money hold more value than money invested by the fans, the Trust or Mike Parker when he's devalued the club singlehandedly? It shouldn't be ingrained into our fanbase that more investment means more debt. Historical and further investment should be by share purchasing, measured value wise up or down, by success or failure, not loans and a free go at running a football club. It's selfish to invest by way of loaning and really quite gutless conviction wise especially when executive decisions have cost the club millions especially underlined by dropping out of the league. There needs to be a covenant in the future that any investment in GTFC can only be by way of purchasing shares and that investment can be measured up or down by success or failure and not hold the club hostage to fortune by loans like it is now..
Posted by: barralad, December 6, 2020, 4:03pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Bigdog

The problem Barra is that somehow the thinking is that any additional funds for GTFC should automatically be a loan ie increased conditional debt.. It's ingrained into the NE Lincs psyche the past twenty years as if it's the only way. If additional funds and the "benign" debt were additional share purchases then the value of the club could be measured correctly. There are around 2.25m shares issued, if the JF loans were shares not an immovable debt and converted into shares, that would take the amount of shareholding to around 3.8m shares of a pound each. Now we all know that the club as it stands isn't worth nearly 4m quid, but what would happen is that a potential buyer could offer a more realistic 25p or 50p in the pound. It's much more workable and much more honest. Not 1.55m in loans to be paid back no matter what then make a bid for the 2.25m shares. Why should JF's money hold more value than money invested by the fans, the Trust or Mike Parker when he's devalued the club singlehandedly? It shouldn't be ingrained into our fanbase that more investment means more debt. Historical and further investment should be by share purchasing, measured value wise up or down, by success or failure, not loans and a free go at running a football club. It's selfish to invest by way of loaning and really quite gutless conviction wise especially when executive decisions have cost the club millions especially underlined by dropping out of the league. There needs to be a covenant in the future that any investment in GTFC can only be by way of purchasing shares and that investment can be measured up or down by success or failure and not hold the club hostage to fortune by loans like it is now..

I don't disagree with any of this. The fact is that the agreement currently is that JF will if needed make up the shortfall via further loans.
Posted by: rancido, December 6, 2020, 4:30pm; Reply: 90
It seems to me that the only way out of our predicament is for all the experts on here to either join the Trust to help remove JF or form there own consortium and buy him out. Surely with all their joint expertise and business acumen they could achieve this . ;)
Posted by: Bigdog, December 6, 2020, 4:37pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from rancido
It seems to me that the only way out of our predicament is for all the experts on here to either join the Trust to help remove JF or form there own consortium and buy him out. Surely with all their joint expertise and business acumen they could achieve this . ;)

There was a time, many moons back when us GTFC fans could go to a match, have some hope and expect some kind of entertainment. You know, pay your entrance fee and get value for money. Now we're expected by some to raise capital and overthrow an immovable object just to watch a decent game of footy, and if we're not prepared to do that, expected to stay quiet, hand over our money, and watch shite in silence season after season..
Posted by: buckstown, December 6, 2020, 4:45pm; Reply: 92
It really hurts me to say it but I'm nearly done with GTFC at the moment. I've been going to BP for pretty much 60 years and am so proud to be from Grimsby and to be a town fan but we're a joke. The last 16 years have been nothing but drudgery, like life on a hamsters wheel. Year after year of relentless relegation battles with the exception of  six years in the obscurity of none league which with delicious irony JF allegedly thought was a success.
I supported Operation Promotion into 4 figures and bought shares and donated this summer but no more. I can't even bring myself to listen to the commentary any more, it's pointless when you're pretty sure what's going to happen. I had huge hopes when Olly took over but he was either over hyped or got sucked into the JF way of working. I can't believe I'm surrounded by Wycombe fans gloating about being in the championship. They were non-league when I moved down here, a tinpot joke but very well run, engaging the community and keeping their heads above water despite being potless. And there lies the difference, GTFC is a sickly football club with bad PR, poor marketing, poor leadership skills and no vision
God help us
Posted by: blundellpork, December 6, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 93

6  red crosses but no one has the guts to put their head over the parapet to defend him,only conclusion is the pro Fenty brigade do not have the courage to defend their convictions.

Perhaps it’s because this thread comes up constantly and the pro Fenty side can’t be bothered arguing their view for the 1,000th time
Posted by: Hagrid, December 6, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from blundellpork

Perhaps it’s because this thread comes up constantly and the pro Fenty side can’t be bothered arguing their view for the 1,000th time

There shouldnt be a Pro Fenty side. Man has done enough damage to last a lifetime.
Posted by: rancido, December 6, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Bigdog

There was a time, many moons back when us GTFC fans could go to a match, have some hope and expect some kind of entertainment. You know, pay your entrance fee and get value for money. Now we're expected by some to raise capital and overthrow an immovable object just to watch a decent game of footy, and if we're not prepared to do that, expected to stay quiet, hand over our money, and watch shite in silence season after season..

I know what I said was a bit tongue in cheek ( hence the wink emoji ) but what other route is there for us? If you want to keep your club and remain as a supporter then get involved in some means to remove JF . If you want some form of 'revolution' ,for want of a better word , then get actively involved in his removal.
Posted by: Quagmire, December 6, 2020, 5:07pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from blundellpork

What is the 'pro Fenty' view?

Nobody from the 'Pro Fenty' side has ever really come out on here with an argument to counteract any of the points raised - all they've done is 'red crossed' anyone who has rightly pointed out his complete and utter mismanagement of the club.

The man has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster for GTFC.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 6, 2020, 5:08pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from blundellpork

I think this thread came about because a local ‘celebrity’ felt strongly enough to express his opinion on Twitter. The counter argument appears to be a Red Cross.
Posted by: GrimExile, December 6, 2020, 5:12pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from buckstown
It really hurts me to say it but I'm nearly done with GTFC at the moment. I've been going to BP for pretty much 60 years and am so proud to be from Grimsby and to be a town fan but we're a joke. The last 16 years have been nothing but drudgery, like life on a hamsters wheel. Year after year of relentless relegation battles with the exception of  six years in the obscurity of none league which with delicious irony JF allegedly thought was a success.
I supported Operation Promotion into 4 figures and bought shares and donated this summer but no more. I can't even bring myself to listen to the commentary any more, it's pointless when you're pretty sure what's going to happen. I had huge hopes when Olly took over but he was either over hyped or got sucked into the JF way of working. I can't believe I'm surrounded by Wycombe fans gloating about being in the championship. They were non-league when I moved down here, a tinpot joke but very well run, engaging the community and keeping their heads above water despite being potless. And there lies the difference, GTFC is a sickly football club with bad PR, poor marketing, poor leadership skills and no vision
God help us

I too live in Bucks and I totally agree with you regarding Wycombe Wanderers apart from one aspect. They were taken over by an American millionaire sugar daddy a couple of years ago and therefore despite their gates (Covid permitting) being about the same as ours, they now have pretty big money behind them. Having said that they are still a shining example of what can be achieved.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 6, 2020, 5:12pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from rancido

I know what I said was a bit tongue in cheek ( hence the wink emoji ) but what other route is there for us? If you want to keep your club and remain as a supporter then get involved in some means to remove JF . If you want some form of 'revolution' ,for want of a better word , then get actively involved in his removal.

The club isn't worth the 1.55m it owes JF never mind making an offer for the shares..
Posted by: rancido, December 6, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from Bigdog

The club isn't worth the 1.55m it owes JF never mind making an offer for the shares..

Maybe but what is the answer apart from" somebody should do something ".
Posted by: Bigdog, December 6, 2020, 6:06pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from rancido

Maybe but what is the answer apart from" somebody should do something ".

The answer and responsibility lies within the club. Unfortunately getting him to accept that the past twenty years have been disastrous for GTFC, a good chunk of his personal fortune has morally become worthless and of his own making is a huge ask of someone's pride who has had inconsiderable success in a previous venture. The fans have loyally supported utter dross for two decades and put their hands in their pockets so many times. The onus doesn't lie with them to sort this mess out, the full responsibility lies elsewhere to make GTFC a more attractive proposition and progress more attainable..
Posted by: ska face, December 6, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 102
The club are much later than usual in publishing the accounts via companies house, wonder what the hold-up is?

Has anyone been able to access them via the Shareholders Portal?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 6, 2020, 6:50pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from blundellpork

Please indulge us as I have never seen anything on here that could rationalise the last 15 odd years. We could be Bury or Darlington does not hold water.
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 6, 2020, 6:58pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from Quagmire

What is the 'pro Fenty' view?

Nobody from the 'Pro Fenty' side has ever really come out on here with an argument to counteract any of the points raised - all they've done is 'red crossed' anyone who has rightly pointed out his complete and utter mismanagement of the club.

The man has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster for GTFC.

Nail on head suppose they are a bit like Trump supporters cannot accept reality.
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 6, 2020, 7:04pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from Bigdog

The answer and responsibility lies within the club. Unfortunately getting him to accept that the past twenty years have been disastrous for GTFC, a good chunk of his personal fortune has morally become worthless and of his own making is a huge ask of someone's pride who has had inconsiderable success in a previous venture. The fans have loyally supported utter dross for two decades and put their hands in their pockets so many times. The onus doesn't lie with them to sort this mess out, the full responsibility lies elsewhere to make GTFC a more attractive proposition and progress more attainable..

Don't think his ego would allow him,in my experience Conservative are incapable of reflective insight,they are so focused on their beliefs are right,The demise of G.T.F.C. reminds me of a Shakespearean Tragedy can't decided which one  King Lear?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 6, 2020, 7:11pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from ska face
The club are much later than usual in publishing the accounts via companies house, wonder what the hold-up is?

They’ve still got till the end of February to reach Companies House.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 6, 2020, 7:31pm; Reply: 107

Don't think his ego would allow him,in my experience Conservative are incapable of reflective insight,they are so focused on their beliefs are right,The demise of G.T.F.C. reminds me of a Shakespearean Tragedy can't decided which one  King Lear?

I am a political person but stop bringing politics into this argument, he has failed in the running of this club for nigh on 20 years and whatever his political views are they have got frig all to do with it.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 6, 2020, 8:19pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from arryarryarry

I am a political person but stop bringing politics into this argument, he has failed in the running of this club for nigh on 20 years and whatever his political views are they have got frig all to do with it.

Of course they have something to do with it. Tories are not renowned for their philanthropic gestures. They preach prudence and financial probity, as long as it's everyone else that has to tighten their belts, and not themselves.

They are too busy telling us how it should be done because us plebs aren't capable of understanding the ins and outs of finance.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 6, 2020, 9:26pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from MuddyWaters

They’ve still got till the end of February to reach Companies House.

As a plc they usually have to file within 6 months of year end (so 30 Nov). Due to the effects of Covid, the filing deadline has been extended automatically by 3 months.

Weaver Wroot are probably still trying to work out how many turtle necks and flat caps they can capitalise this year
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 6, 2020, 9:31pm; Reply: 110

As a plc they usually have to file within 6 months of year end (so 30 Nov). Due to the effects of Covid, the filing deadline has been extended automatically by 3 months.

Weaver Wroot are probably still trying to work out how many turtle necks and flat caps they can capitalise this year

Think the flat caps were furloughed 🤪
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 6, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 111

With the filing extension it’ll benign months after the year end until the accounts are filed
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), December 7, 2020, 12:25am; Reply: 112
Quoted from Bigdog

Anyone that repeatable wears turtle necks in public, probably hasn’t the best ability to accept past mistakes
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 7, 2020, 10:21am; Reply: 113
Quoted from marinerjase
Things will never change whilst people actively support.  Every time the club need something the fans jump in raising money, even when it’s not necessarily needed. They know that.

Damned if you do - damned if you don’t.

But until people who are fed up with the board - not just JF - and act on it, instead of just hashtags and posts - and ‘protests’ of 100 people in a car park for half hour.

IF you/they want change - you have to force it. Peacefully. The only way of doing it is either not go, not subscribe to IFollow, not purchasing anything from club shop - give them nothing. There’ll inevitably be threats made by powers that be re future of club etc etc - but that’s the only way. UNTIL a common ground can be found with the investors who WANT to come in, without being held to stipulations that don’t apply to the current set up.

Whether the fans, and trust - need to step up together and work in unison in forcing a vote of no confidence on board is another matter/way - but that’ll never happen as they’ve a place on the board.

So, maybe up to the fans to work with the potential investors?  Let it be known they’ll be backed, that things can’t carry on - show support both public and private, raise funds if need be WITH them.

As things stand nothing will change anytime soon. The club will be run with the intent on just paying back loans, whilst dying a slow undignified death. Like it has been for years.

Awful facilities allowed to get run down, horrible training ground and facilities, players in on the cheap, no ambition. It’s not just us who know it/can see.

Need to stop the slide. Before it’s too late.

This.

It pains me to say this but as fans we have to accept that Fenty either selling the club or engaging with the fans is a pipe dream.  Like it or not, whilst we're in this situation he holds all the cards.  He controls the club.

The only way to have an impact on this is to remove his power, that's done by removing the funding stream for the club, i.e income through fans.

If people stop going, stop buying tickets, shirts, shares, iFollow feeds then the clubs income is absolutely sod all.  At the minute, Fenty is putting nothing into the club to running the club, yet manages to take money out as repayment for his loans.  The reason for this is because we're handing the money over for that.

Without the money going into the club, Fenty is left with a dilemma.  He has a club that is bringing in absolutely no money at all, therefore he can't take any money back to repay himself.  Equally so this magic 'devaluation of the product' is actually happening.  He may value the club at £X now, but without the fan income it's worth sod all.  No fans, no income, prospect of debt to cover costs....who the hell is going to hand over money for that?  That's the sort of scenario where someone pays £1 for a football club.

At this point Fenty would be left with four choices: 1) Engage with the fans in an attempt to bring them back.  Fans hold the cards here.  We don't come back unless you write off your debts/hand over shares.  I think a more likely scenario is he hands over shares and agrees a repayment model for his loans.  2) Sell the club for absolutely sod all to whoever would take it, probably loses his loans.  3) Wind the club up - no chance of getting his loans back.  Loses face and probably any prospect of developing his political career. 4) Carries on running the club with no income but having to fund it himself.

It'll be bloody hard.  This wouldn't be a case of walking out of a game with 10 minutes to go so you can stand in the car park shouting Fenty Out.   It won't be for one or two games.  For this to have an impact it would take time and patience.  Question is, who's drunk off enough to do it?  Who's really had enough?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 7, 2020, 11:52am; Reply: 114
Quoted from diehardmariner

This.

It pains me to say this but as fans we have to accept that Fenty either selling the club or engaging with the fans is a pipe dream.  Like it or not, whilst we're in this situation he holds all the cards.  He controls the club.

The only way to have an impact on this is to remove his power, that's done by removing the funding stream for the club, i.e income through fans.

If people stop going, stop buying tickets, shirts, shares, iFollow feeds then the clubs income is absolutely sod all.  At the minute, Fenty is putting nothing into the club to running the club, yet manages to take money out as repayment for his loans.  The reason for this is because we're handing the money over for that.

Without the money going into the club, Fenty is left with a dilemma.  He has a club that is bringing in absolutely no money at all, therefore he can't take any money back to repay himself.  Equally so this magic 'devaluation of the product' is actually happening.  He may value the club at £X now, but without the fan income it's worth sod all.  No fans, no income, prospect of debt to cover costs....who the hell is going to hand over money for that?  That's the sort of scenario where someone pays £1 for a football club.

At this point Fenty would be left with four choices: 1) Engage with the fans in an attempt to bring them back.  Fans hold the cards here.  We don't come back unless you write off your debts/hand over shares.  I think a more likely scenario is he hands over shares and agrees a repayment model for his loans.  2) Sell the club for absolutely sod all to whoever would take it, probably loses his loans.  3) Wind the club up - no chance of getting his loans back.  Loses face and probably any prospect of developing his political career. 4) Carries on running the club with no income but having to fund it himself.

It'll be bloody hard.  This wouldn't be a case of walking out of a game with 10 minutes to go so you can stand in the car park shouting Fenty Out.   It won't be for one or two games.  For this to have an impact it would take time and patience.  Question is, who's drunk off enough to do it?  Who's really had enough?

A few thousand over the course of several poor seasons. I know quite a few who used to be regulars and no longer attend. It's a dilemma because I think with more support and income, Olly could take us places.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 7, 2020, 12:09pm; Reply: 115
But even with those who aren't going now, we're still able to operate at (pre-Covid) a level of profit good enough to repay a chunk of Fenty's loans.

It really would have to go down to the bare bones to have an impact.

I completely agree.  It's a huge ask and I would honestly be torn.  Holloway really gave me encouragement for what he could do up until March.  I don't think he needs major investment either.  
Posted by: ginnywings, December 7, 2020, 12:49pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner
But even with those who aren't going now, we're still able to operate at (pre-Covid) a level of profit good enough to repay a chunk of Fenty's loans.

It really would have to go down to the bare bones to have an impact.

I completely agree.  It's a huge ask and I would honestly be torn.  Holloway really gave me encouragement for what he could do up until March.  I don't think he needs major investment either.  

We now have a salary cap, so any major investment can't be spent on the squad of players anyway. That still didn't stop the short sighted Politburo failing to retain the best of last years players and also putting a barrier to decent new signings in the form of a covid clause.

Where we could improve is in our off field activities- coaching, scouting, youth development and facilities.

I feel that the salary cap and the covid situation just gave carte blanche for our board to follow their natural inclination to cut everything to the bone, with what they felt was justification. The results of that are now evident on the pitch and the fans are not happy. But most haven't been happy for a long time.

However, we still have the core of fans left that have seen and felt the demise of the club over many years and are still hanging in there. I don't think there are many fans left that are on the verge of pulling their support, as I think they would already have done so. There are plenty of waiverers who could be won back with a bit of action on the pitch, even though that golden era never seems to get any closer.

Even in the darkest of seasons, we still managed to attract about 3500 fans- a number a lot of clubs would be happy with in this league. I don't think the remaining fans will start to drift away in numbers sufficient to topple the house of cards. The ball is, and remains firmly in the court of the current incumbents.

If there was a coup of some sort, I would gladly chuck in a few hundred quid, but I can't see it. I think our hope lies with IH and developing a squad over time that can compete on the pitch and hopefully some of those are good enough to be sold on and bring in some big paydays. This is the route we should have gone down years ago but I don't think JF believes in long term projects; that takes short term investment for long term gains. He hangs his hat on "football fortune", and we aint seen a lot of that, which brings us back to square one. Rinse and repeat.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 7, 2020, 6:56pm; Reply: 117

I would define a tory more as a 'king liar to be honest   ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 7, 2020, 7:10pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from ginnywings

We now have a salary cap, so any major investment can't be spent on the squad of players anyway. That still didn't stop the short sighted Politburo failing to retain the best of last years players and also putting a barrier to decent new signings in the form of a covid clause.

Where we could improve is in our off field activities- coaching, scouting, youth development and facilities.

I feel that the salary cap and the covid situation just gave carte blanche for our board to follow their natural inclination to cut everything to the bone, with what they felt was justification. The results of that are now evident on the pitch and the fans are not happy. But most haven't been happy for a long time.

However, we still have the core of fans left that have seen and felt the demise of the club over many years and are still hanging in there. I don't think there are many fans left that are on the verge of pulling their support, as I think they would already have done so. There are plenty of waiverers who could be won back with a bit of action on the pitch, even though that golden era never seems to get any closer.

Even in the darkest of seasons, we still managed to attract about 3500 fans- a number a lot of clubs would be happy with in this league. I don't think the remaining fans will start to drift away in numbers sufficient to topple the house of cards. The ball is, and remains firmly in the court of the current incumbents.

If there was a coup of some sort, I would gladly chuck in a few hundred quid, but I can't see it. I think our hope lies with IH and developing a squad over time that can compete on the pitch and hopefully some of those are good enough to be sold on and bring in some big paydays. This is the route we should have gone down years ago but I don't think JF believes in long term projects; that takes short term investment for long term gains. He hangs his hat on "football fortune", and we aint seen a lot of that, which brings us back to square one. Rinse and repeat.

Good post Ginny

And that salary cap you mention.... from the "Chairman's statement" tonight, we are "not far short of the maximum we can spend" - how can that be, seeing as though we've pared everything to the bone?  :-/

Posted by: arryarryarry, December 7, 2020, 8:54pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I would define a tory more as a 'king liar to be honest   ;)

I don't want to turn this into a political thread but that could assigned to :-

John Major, Tony Bliar, Gordon Brown, David Camoron, Nick Clegg, Theresa May and Boris Johnson.

It doesn't matter what political party they represent they are all proven liars.
Posted by: davmariner, December 8, 2020, 1:16am; Reply: 120
Well run club my bottom if we’re close to the salary cap limit with this bunch of talentless crocks.
Posted by: Grantley, December 8, 2020, 1:38am; Reply: 121
Really don’t understand the sarcastic comments aimed at Lloyd Griffith? Local lad who’s made something of a name for himself and actually cares about the club. Yet all some can do is slag him off for raising awareness about a pretty pressing issue. Bloke can’t win.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 8, 2020, 6:08am; Reply: 122
I’m not a fan of Griffith’s and don’t find him funny in the slightest but he’s hardly on his own with his opinions of the shocking leadership at the club...
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 8, 2020, 8:24am; Reply: 123
Quoted from Grantley
Really don’t understand the sarcastic comments aimed at Lloyd Griffith? Local lad who’s made something of a name for himself and actually cares about the club. Yet all some can do is slag him off for raising awareness about a pretty pressing issue. Bloke can’t win.

Put his head above the parapet and upset the fentinistas,as usual they conduct sniping campaign without any rational basis.
Posted by: mirrorballman, December 8, 2020, 8:51am; Reply: 124
Quoted from Grantley

It's small minded jealousy. People don't have to like him or find him funny. However, to be unable to accept that other people do, and he makes a living from it, is just weird. He also does his best to plug the club whenever he can, what more can the bloke do.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 8, 2020, 10:23am; Reply: 125
Agreed.

Regardless of your opinion on his work, the guy has nothing but love for the club and people seem to revel in sniping at him.  The absolute irony is people moaning at him for having his say....by having their say on him.

He's there every week, promoting GTFC in one way or another to his fan base, a base that's probably far larger than what we have at the minute. This is for a club that couldn't even announce signings in the summer because the lad with the social media account was on holiday.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 8, 2020, 10:35am; Reply: 126
The fact people have a dig at Griffith’s or the Fenty in brigade resort to the very thing they’re accusing him of doing is laughable.

I don’t find the lad funny, I wouldn’t pay to watch him and how much of a town fan he is isn’t really important, he’s made a valid point and the club have seemingly reacted in a way that is verging on childish in my opinion.

It’s another indication of how slow the club are to move with the times or forward thinking they are.

Here you have a local lad done good, opinion of him is irrelevant, he’s been on a national show, open about his support and has a reach. The club should surely be working with people like this, utilising each other’s platforms to promote and push the club? Instead they choose to publish a mammary for tat statement.

Thing is, Griffith’s hasn’t actually said anything inaccurate...
Posted by: pen penfras, December 8, 2020, 11:18am; Reply: 127
Quoted from aldi_01
The fact people have a dig at Griffith’s or the Fenty in brigade resort to the very thing they’re accusing him of doing is laughable.

I don’t find the lad funny, I wouldn’t pay to watch him and how much of a town fan he is isn’t really important, he’s made a valid point and the club have seemingly reacted in a way that is verging on childish in my opinion.

It’s another indication of how slow the club are to move with the times or forward thinking they are.

Here you have a local lad done good, opinion of him is irrelevant, he’s been on a national show, open about his support and has a reach. The club should surely be working with people like this, utilising each other’s platforms to promote and push the club? Instead they choose to publish a mammary for tat statement.

Thing is, Griffith’s hasn’t actually said anything inaccurate...

I hope the irony of you complaining about people having a go at an individual is not lost.

He said Max Wright was told to get another job, sounds like that was inaccurate. Probably came like our furlough letter which states that you are allowed to work other jobs whilst on furlough, it wasn't a suggestion that you should do it though.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 8, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from ska face

Yes. Any particular point you want to know?

I put a post on the Statement from Day thread about Directors Loans going back to 2010 and how they've gone down over £800k since then.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 8, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 129

With the filing extension it’ll benign months after the year end until the accounts are filed

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 5:50am