Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 4, 2020, 3:19pm
[url] https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gallery/harry-clifton-100-appearance-grimsby-4765531[/url]

Doesn’t seem 5 minutes does it?

I do hope the lad gets a settled position though.
Posted by: Poojah, December 4, 2020, 3:37pm; Reply: 1
First proper youth graduate to make that landmark in how many years? I say proper, as Ryan Bennett technically fits the bill but I think only signed for the club 12 months or so before making his first senior appearance.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 4, 2020, 4:14pm; Reply: 2
Didn't Bradley Wood manage over 100 games for us, although I suppose a lot of those games came in  non league
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 4, 2020, 4:25pm; Reply: 3
Really good achievement. He’s well established as a player at this level now. Hopefully he can kick on and nail down a role in central midfield.

I hope we see at least another 100 from him at Town
Posted by: Poojah, December 4, 2020, 4:37pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Didn't Bradley Wood manage over 100 games for us, although I suppose a lot of those games came in  non league

We'd probably have been promoted sooner if he didn't give a corner away in the seventh minute of every game...

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 4, 2020, 5:15pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Poojah

We'd probably have been promoted sooner if he didn't give a corner away in the seventh minute of every game...

Ouch!  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 4, 2020, 7:29pm; Reply: 6
Congratulations to Harry. He’s achieved the boyhood dream of most of us, and gone on to bag another 99 appearances.

And credit to his family and coaches through all those years for helping him get there.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 4, 2020, 11:08pm; Reply: 7
Great lad good player however I’m disappointed and surprised he hasn’t kicked on a bit more tbh still time though
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 4, 2020, 11:15pm; Reply: 8
I find this absolutely astonishing.......that the Telegraph can predict who the f#ck will be in Holloway’s 11 tomorrow, or any occasion at all, for that matter.
Posted by: denni266, December 5, 2020, 12:33am; Reply: 9
Does ollie know who the team is . Some of his selections take some believing at times
Posted by: jimgtfc, December 5, 2020, 12:19pm; Reply: 10
I think Harry has come on loads under Ollie. Against Exeter he was the only one of our players to have a pass completion percentage of over 80%, and given that he has been accused of being poor on the ball then that’s a huge improvement, even if the most of those passes were 10/15 yarders.
Posted by: sam gy, December 5, 2020, 12:29pm; Reply: 11
Solid player for us and at 22 still lots of time for improvement.

Because of his position, he’s one of those players that seems to come under scrutiny more than most when the team has played badly, compared to say Max Wright, who will naturally be more of a fans favourite as a winger. But he’s put in some great performances since Ollie has been here and 100 games is a great achievement.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, December 5, 2020, 2:33pm; Reply: 12
No real improvement under anyone.....this level at best, Id be interested in what he actually does, not what people think he is capable of.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2020, 4:53pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Boris Johnson
No real improvement under anyone.....this level at best, Id be interested in what he actually does, not what people think he is capable of.

A bit harsh but he’s only League 2 at best and we need better if we’re ever going to get promoted.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, December 5, 2020, 8:13pm; Reply: 14
Will have to wait until Tuesday at least !?!?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 5, 2020, 8:40pm; Reply: 15
His attitude is his great strength. Always gives his all in whatever position he’s selected.

Ability wise I do have doubts about him progressing to a higher level. After 100 games if he was going to be picked up by a higher placed outfit, it would have happened by now.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 16
I’ve seen worse players than Clifton pass through this club and ended up in a higher division.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 7, 2020, 9:40am; Reply: 17
I like Clifton, if for nothing else his attitude and work rate.

I can understand those who don't think he's really kicked on but in his defence, I don't think he's ever really had chance to do so.

His first run in the team came on the right hand side of a three-man attack/five-man midfield under Jolley.  The only real attribute he could bring to that role was a lot of running and in fairness, along with Cardwell and JJ Hooper it gave us what we needed at that time.  

Since then he's featured at right back, left back, left wing back, right wing back, right wing, left wing, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder....  His most sustained run in the team came when he was in midfield with Hessenthaler in Jolley's first season.  I always thought Hessenthaler was a great player but the role he played for Town was very much of sitting in front of the back four and mopping up.  But that puts a lot of pressure on the other midfielder to cover a lot of ground on their own.  I think on occasions Clifton and Hessenthaler were joined by someone else in a 3 man midfield. The fact I don't recall it probably tells you how much of an impact they had....but I've never once had the sense that Clifton has been told his role is X or Y.  It's just play in midfield.  His best attribute is his engine in my eyes, we should utilise that and have him as the one who's doing the lung bursting runs beyond the strikers.  

It's a great achievement for the lad.  Racking my brains as to the last proper youth graduate (as in not someone like Bennett or Wood who joined us at 16) who got 100 games for us.  Danny Butterfield?
Posted by: Abdul19, December 7, 2020, 2:38pm; Reply: 18
PC Bore I think
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 2:51pm