Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 1, 2020, 11:27pm

Over to you Ollie and l hope you get it right this time for all our sakes.

What do we need?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 1, 2020, 11:31pm; Reply: 1
1. More experience in all areas to bolster some of the decent players we already have.

2. The board to stop prevaricating and give IH the funds to crack on.

Not sure the first will be achieved, as the second is debateable.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 1, 2020, 11:45pm; Reply: 2

A goalscorer like Podge would be nice, no doubt he will score against us next Tuesday   :-/
Posted by: Boris Johnson, December 2, 2020, 12:56am; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
1. More experience in all areas to bolster some of the decent players we already have.

2. The board to stop prevaricating and give IH the funds to crack on.

Not sure the first will be achieved, as the second is debateable.

Can I ask re Point 2, what your expectations are on funding are, given players have already had to take a paycut, season ticket income was down, and match day income has been non existant. Has a magic money tree grown in the vicinity of Blundell Park since March, because if it has I havent seen it.  
Posted by: ska face, December 2, 2020, 1:44am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Can I ask re Point 2, what your expectations are on funding are, given players have already had to take a paycut, season ticket income was down, and match day income has been non existant. Has a magic money tree grown in the vicinity of Blundell Park since March, because if it has I havent seen it.  

There’s a share issue of £99,500 that we’re expecting any day now...right about now...since last January...I’m sure it’s coming...it’ll be here any second...
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 2, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 5
Match day income and ticket sales might be down but so are costs such as stewards.  Utilisation of the furlough scheme and pay cuts came into effect quickly.  The budget has quite clearly been cut significantly.  

There was also the summer fundraising (not sure how much that raised in the end?).  Bailout money pending too.

Oh and don't forget Philip Day said we can go a year without income so basically we've been living off the rainy day fund for the last 9 months and we've got all that extra income listed above so we'll be ok won't we....

The finances next year will make very interesting reading to see what the budget was and how much of the reserves we've eaten into.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 2, 2020, 8:27am; Reply: 6
In terms of what we need, in all honesty I think a new starting eleven would probably do at the minute.

We won't get that I'd settle for a new goalkeeper (either as first choice or to push McKeown), an experienced left-back and a proper striker.
Posted by: pontoonlew, December 2, 2020, 8:45am; Reply: 7
We need a striker that can actually put the ball in the net, a back up centre back, a first choice left back and probably a loan replacement in CM for Taylor and Morton who surely need to be shipped back to their parent clubs.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 2, 2020, 8:49am; Reply: 8
As always for me strengthening midfield is a priority along with a decent striker, let’s face it Jamille Matt hasn’t stopped scoring since he left us so they are out there but BP seems to be a bit of a graveyard for them!!
Posted by: pen penfras, December 2, 2020, 9:00am; Reply: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner
Match day income and ticket sales might be down but so are costs such as stewards.  Utilisation of the furlough scheme and pay cuts came into effect quickly.  The budget has quite clearly been cut significantly.  

There was also the summer fundraising (not sure how much that raised in the end?).  Bailout money pending too.

Oh and don't forget Philip Day said we can go a year without income so basically we've been living off the rainy day fund for the last 9 months and we've got all that extra income listed above so we'll be ok won't we....

The finances next year will make very interesting reading to see what the budget was and how much of the reserves we've eaten into.

25% pay cuts and not paying stewards doesn't come close to covering 50% season ticket sales lost and no matchday income. Until the bailout money comes, I think we're empty.

Philip Day said the board would take the necessary steps to ensure the club survives. That is not at all what keeps being quoted on here. And the without income part would surely also involve without matches and having to pay a big squad (furlough etc). Playing games with no fans is more costly than not playing games and furloughing the players.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 2, 2020, 9:40am; Reply: 10
Quoted from pen penfras

25% pay cuts and not paying stewards doesn't come close to covering 50% season ticket sales lost and no matchday income. Until the bailout money comes, I think we're empty.

Philip Day said the board would take the necessary steps to ensure the club survives. That is not at all what keeps being quoted on here. And the without income part would surely also involve without matches and having to pay a big squad (furlough etc). Playing games with no fans is more costly than not playing games and furloughing the players.

Quoted Text
“We’ve got a plan for the next 12 months on the basis that there’s no play at all,” Mr Day told Grimsby Live.

“We’ll review that budget and plan as and when the situation alters.

“At the moment, we know we can survive through until next year.”

Ok, bit of in the middle there then.  He hasn't said we can go without income (as I said), nor to the levels you've said about taking necessary steps.  There was a plan for no games, which is probably fair to assume is paycuts and furlough.

On a very basic level we've lost income from various sources, increased it from others and then offset costs.  I would like to know the breakdown of those if I'm honest.  I'm far from saying that this has left us in a good position but as fans who have stumped up the money to help keep the club going, a little more clarity on this would be appreciated.

Purely from a playing side perspective, if we haven't actually slashed at the budget - it brings huge questions into play about the recruitment this summer.

I'm going to presume that the budget will be due for review when the bailout comes in.  
Posted by: forza ivano, December 2, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 11
I suspect our iplayer income cant have been budgeted for and also we have probably saved £4k a week by shipping out Ludwig and mohsni
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 2, 2020, 10:53am; Reply: 12
Quoted from pen penfras

Well this is when the major shareholder has to step up to the plate, isn't it?

Normality will be resumed soon enough, and it is up to him to bridge the gap till he can recoup his outlay. We need experienced players in January, no ifs or buts, no covid clauses and we can start building in advance for next season.

Failure to act will likely mean a relegation battle, and we have only one chance - this January - to make things better.  
Posted by: Stew0_0, December 2, 2020, 11:03am; Reply: 13
We need Ollie's 'Van Dijk' at the back and 'a bull of a centre forward' up front lol.

In all seriousness we need........

* A pacey (leader) centre back next to Pollock.

* Creative midfielder with engine to get up and down the pitch.

* left footed winger with the ability to take his man on and deliver a cross

* 2 x goalscoring strikers (one with pace the other an outlet and target to aim at that can make the ball stick up front)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 2, 2020, 11:13am; Reply: 14
It would help to get Hanson and Wright back to be fit enough to play a number of consecutive games.  They could be regarded as “new players” known to us already.  
Posted by: Bigdog, December 2, 2020, 11:50am; Reply: 15
We can't expect much can we? The big elephant in the room is the wage cap the club has voted for. With the amount of players we've signed, I can't imagine we've got any leeway left unless players leave. Even if extra funds appeared from somewhere, we won't be able to spend it. So where will our unwanted players go? Who the hell will want them? Even though he's not involved or on this list courtesy of Cod Almighty, we'll still be currently paying Ludwig's wages until he gets fixed up with Mohsni now at Barnet..

Goalkeepers

Ollie Battersby      December 2018      2½ years      May 2021
James McKeown      May 2019      3 years      May 2022
Sam Russell      March 2020      3 years      May 2023

Defenders

Luke Hendrie      January 2019      2½ years      May 2021
Elliott Hewitt      June 2019      2 years      May 2021
Joey Hope**      July 2020      Not declared      Not declared
Duncan Idehen      July 2020      Not declared      Not declared
Mattie Pollock      February 2019      2½ years      May 2021
Danny Preston*      September 2020      9 months      May 2021
Luke Waterfall      August 2019      2 years      May 2021

Midfielders

Harry Clifton      June 2018      3 years      May 2021
Jock Curran**      April 2019      Not declared      Not declared
James Morton*      September 2020      9 months      May 2021
Cameron Painter**      July 2020      Not declared      Not declared
Danny Rose      August 2020      2 years      May 2022
Luke Spokes      September 2020      1 year      May 2021
Joe Starbuck      July 2020      Not declared      Not declared
Terry Taylor*      September 2020      9 months      May 2021
James Tilley      January 2020      1½ years +1      May 2021
George Williams      August 2020      2 years +1      May 2022
Max Wright      July 2020      2 years      Summer 2022

Forwards

Kyle Bennett*      October 2020      8 months      May 2021
Owura Edwards*      September 2020      9 months      May 2021
Montel Gibson      August 2020      3 years      May 2023
Virgil Gomis*      October 2020      8 months      May 2021
Matt Green      June 2019      2 years      May 2021
James Hanson      June 2019      2 years      May 2021
Ira Jackson Jr      August 2020      2 years +1       May 2022

Sean Scannell      September 2020      2 years      May 2022
Alhagi Touray Sisay**      August 2020      1 year      May 2021
Owen Windsor*      October 2020      8 months      May 2021

Ohman still yet to be off the books. Yeovil for Ludwig by all accounts.
Morton, Gomis and Windsor back to parent clubs as they're not getting game time?
Green, Hanson, Sisay, Bennett and Spokes told to look for other clubs as their contracts are up in the summer? Can't imagine any of them getting a Conference club, maybe Green.
Gibson, Jackson and Williams currently out of favour but sitting on longer contracts. Who will want them, a Grimsby cast-off in their current form even though I do like the potential of Gibson and the glimpses of Williams's class? What would be their incentive to chance their arm in today's congested out of contract players market?
Even after highlighting a good part of the squad in midfield and up front, there's still big question marks about our central defence and left back positions.

Somehow we've got to move on quite a lot of wasted budget before we can even think about even getting two or three in when we need more. IH has a big job on his hands over the next few weeks clearing up the mess of his own recruitment in the summer, not helped, admittedly in unprecedented times, by a panicky, Covis clausing, slashing to the bare bones board ..

I think we need a centre back, a left back, two midfielders and two forwards of better quality. How we can get them in even if we moved everyone highlighted on, god only knows..Loans and short term gambles again until fans return and the wage cap gets booted out?
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 2, 2020, 12:08pm; Reply: 16
I don't imagine we're paying much for the majority of the loan players, I think that's one of the main reasons they were brought in - cheap.  If not, begs the question what level of scouting was done on them as with the exception of Edwards and maybe Preston (Windsor at a push if he's still even here!) look to be anything better than what we've already got in house.  

Experienced players we had coming in over the summer on permanent deals were:

Scannell
Rose
Williams
Mohsni

Fringe players/rough diamonds or whatever you want to call them:

Spokes
Gibson
Sisay
Jackson

Then a handful of young lads making the step up from the youth team.

Going out

Jordan Cook
Elliot Grandin
Billy Clarke
Elliott Whitehouse
Harry Davis
Jake Hessenthaler
Bradley Garmston

Harry Cardwell
Akheem Rose

Holloway has stated that Gibson, Sisay and Jackson have come in for the same combined wages we were paying for Rose and Cardwell.  Even bundling Spokes in with the other 4 (I'd be amazed if he's on the same wages as them), it's still a massive difference in those who went out.  

All four of the lads we signed have come with a lack of game time over the last few years, that will have impacted on their suitability to a lot of clubs and driven down their prices.

Wouldn't at all surprise me if Taylor, Morton, Bennett, Windsor and Gomis go back to their clubs in January.  Ohman and Moshni find new clubs plus maybe someone like Curran leaving too.  4 or 5 new signings coming in at the same time.  Goes against everything we need in terms of consistency but exactly what we need to avoid a relegation scrap.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 2, 2020, 12:13pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
It would help to get Hanson and Wright back to be fit enough to play a number of consecutive games.  They could be regarded as “new players” known to us already.  

Forget Hanson. Is it just me that thinks he's not that good when fully fit anyway?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 2, 2020, 2:00pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Bigdog

Forget Hanson. Is it just me that thinks he's not that good when fully fit anyway?

I think Hanson is pretty good when FULLY fit, but whether he will ever attain that now is debatable. I still think he is the best we have at the moment at least to bring some experience up there.

Two players are grating my gears at the moment though - Green and Hewitt.

Green, honestly. Runs about a bit but to what end? He is always just too late in everything he does. Just a tad too late when he tries to close down, just a tad late arriving to meet a cross. It seems to me he does just enough to get through a game without really stretching himself.

Hewitt is a real enigma. He blows so hot and cold! Comes back into the team and really seems to improve us, then gives us virtually nothing the next game. Same when he is full back - seems half decent one game then looks like he has never played there before the next. Move him to midfield, seems ok there - till the next game and so it goes on. I know these are tier 4 players, but frustration doesn't describe it.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 2, 2020, 2:02pm; Reply: 19
I've always had the opinion that it's not so much about Hanson's ability but more how we revert to type when he's there as an option.  We just long.  Not even in the style of The Crazy Gang or hell even John Beck's Cambridge.  It's just long aimless punts up to that big lad up top, yeah he'll win it or something.

But in the absence of Hanson we have absolutely no one capable of making the ball stick.  In the further absence of any creativity in midfield, this becomes even more essential.  We basically need someone who can hold onto the ball long enough for the midfield to catch up with play.

I don't think he's going to be fit again for us but boy could we do with Hanson now.  Someone who can hold the ball up and bring others into play is a must signing in the January window.  More so than a clinical finisher for me, because without that hold up play, the best finisher in the world won't score goals unless chances are created for him.
Posted by: cannylad68, December 2, 2020, 2:14pm; Reply: 20
Get real.

It's the same every transfer window, the fans expect a big clear out and better players coming in.
It never happens.

Who is out there halfway through the season better than what we already have?
Posted by: Mayaman, December 2, 2020, 3:06pm; Reply: 21
If we want to play it out from the back, we need a midfield.  Players that can defend as well as thread balls through or whip balls in and then pop up to get an important goal.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 2, 2020, 4:12pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mayaman
If we want to play it out from the back, we need a midfield.  Players that can defend as well as thread balls through or whip balls in and then pop up to get an important goal.

Exactly. Need to pass and move as a unit. Not just players with the technical skill but with the spatial and tactical awareness to make it work.

That’ll help cut out some of the stupid situations we’ve put the back 4/5 into, and give us a chance to get decent balls forward.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, December 2, 2020, 4:13pm; Reply: 23
Unfortunately I am expecting this transfer window to be as disappointing as all the others recently - and I am an optimist.

We have people at the club who have been here years doing the same thing day in day out. There is no new blood to inject a different and modern approach. We get rammed down our throat that "we are a well run club" living within our means!

Well "our means" have got as sodomist all and will again I expect until something changes at the very top and I dont expect that either.

Ambition here is something that departed years ago.
Posted by: ska face, December 2, 2020, 4:35pm; Reply: 24
The absolute best we can hope for in January is Dembele gets sold for a decent wedge and maybe someone comes in for Pollock/Adlard/Grist. Get 6 months planning in ahead of the summer.
Posted by: mariner91, December 2, 2020, 4:53pm; Reply: 25
I don't imagine we're paying much for the majority of the loan players, I think that's one of the main reasons they were brought in - cheap.  If not, begs the question what level of scouting was done on them as with the exception of Edwards and maybe Preston (Windsor at a push if he's still even here!) look to be anything better than what we've already got in house.  

Experienced players we had coming in over the summer on permanent deals were:

Scannell
Rose
Williams
Mohsni

Fringe players/rough diamonds or whatever you want to call them:

Spokes
Gibson
Sisay
Jackson

Then a handful of young lads making the step up from the youth team.

Going out

Jordan Cook
Elliot Grandin
Billy Clarke
Elliott Whitehouse
Harry Davis
Jake Hessenthaler
Bradley Garmston

Harry Cardwell
Akheem Rose

Holloway has stated that Gibson, Sisay and Jackson have come in for the same combined wages we were paying for Rose and Cardwell.  Even bundling Spokes in with the other 4 (I'd be amazed if he's on the same wages as them), it's still a massive difference in those who went out.  

All four of the lads we signed have come with a lack of game time over the last few years, that will have impacted on their suitability to a lot of clubs and driven down their prices.

Wouldn't at all surprise me if Taylor, Morton, Bennett, Windsor and Gomis go back to their clubs in January.  Ohman and Moshni find new clubs plus maybe someone like Curran leaving too.  4 or 5 new signings coming in at the same time.  Goes against everything we need in terms of consistency but exactly what we need to avoid a relegation scrap.

Both Garmston and Grandin are still without a club. Neither set the world alight whilst here but they're capable and were part of a squad that was putting together much better performances and form than the current one. In particular I'm surprised Garmston hasn't been offered anything when we're now reliant on a 20 year old playing his first games in the FL.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 2, 2020, 5:08pm; Reply: 26
In fairness to Holloway he's in a 'no win' situation

First of all the mass of class players all fighting to play for him was total balderdash and signing untried lower league youngsters has been a total disaster.

He has now decided to go for experience in the January window, all very creditable but sadly the older more experienced players likely to come to BP tend to be those without or desperate for a club, either crocks who are coming to the end, unfit, not in a club or not played for a long time.

I think he's going to struggle to get any experienced quality but one or two older lads with lots of appearances behind them could be valuable for all the young lads hes trying to bring through

Just no more Hansons please, we can't afford that sort of salary for someone who is never going to play
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 2, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 27
We want, the same as every club 14th or lower in every division in every country wants/needs.

Player confidence and return of fans would be an amazing catalyst. Am sure had the season gone ahead as planned, season tickets would’ve been higher and the calibre of player would’ve been better. Instead, IH made a brave decision (imho the correct one) by installing the much maligned ‘COVID clause’. The club quite possibly needed this to survive.

Posted by: davmariner, December 2, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 28
Bit concerned that we’re relying on new recruitment, which may not be in place until January 31st and will likely take time to gel. By then we’re likely to be in the midst of a relegation battle. We need to get the best out of the team now and grind out points with a shored up defence. Not convinced that Ollie is the man to be able to do that.
Posted by: golfer, December 2, 2020, 5:58pm; Reply: 29

I think Hanson is pretty good when FULLY fit, but whether he will ever attain that now is debatable. I still think he is the best we have at the moment at least to bring some experience up there.

Two players are grating my gears at the moment though - Green and Hewitt.

Green, honestly. Runs about a bit but to what end? He is always just too late in everything he does. Just a tad too late when he tries to close down, just a tad late arriving to meet a cross. It seems to me he does just enough to get through a game without really stretching himself.

Hewitt is a real enigma. He blows so hot and cold! Comes back into the team and really seems to improve us, then gives us virtually nothing the next game. Same when he is full back - seems half decent one game then looks like he has never played there before the next. Move him to midfield, seems ok there - till the next game and so it goes on. I know these are tier 4 players, but frustration doesn't describe it.

You don't know what your talking about - why don't you go back to calling the one you normally do.  :)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 2, 2020, 6:09pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from golfer

You don't know what your talking about - why don't you go back to calling the one you normally do.  :)

Ok. Fenty is the cause of all our problems.

Now, why don't you tell one of your unfunny jokes to even things up?
Posted by: rancido, December 2, 2020, 6:24pm; Reply: 31

Ok, bit of in the middle there then.  He hasn't said we can go without income (as I said), nor to the levels you've said about taking necessary steps.  There was a plan for no games, which is probably fair to assume is paycuts and furlough.

On a very basic level we've lost income from various sources, increased it from others and then offset costs.  I would like to know the breakdown of those if I'm honest.  I'm far from saying that this has left us in a good position but as fans who have stumped up the money to help keep the club going, a little more clarity on this would be appreciated.

Purely from a playing side perspective, if we haven't actually slashed at the budget - it brings huge questions into play about the recruitment this summer.

I'm going to presume that the budget will be due for review when the bailout comes in.  

Surviving until next year only covers upto Jan 1st . Surviving until the end of the season is an different scenario.
Posted by: golfer, December 2, 2020, 6:41pm; Reply: 32

Great coming from somebody who can't spell his lovers name correctly
Posted by: Hagrid, December 2, 2020, 7:11pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Bigdog

Best striker we’ve got.
Posted by: mariner91, December 2, 2020, 7:41pm; Reply: 34
Just seen that Tom Pett is currently playing again for Stevenage. Released by Lincoln in the summer, only signed for Stevenage last month. He's no world beater but a hell of a lot better than Morton and Taylor etc. He would have been available until last month and I wouldn't be surprised if other players who are better than ours are still without a club (I'd have taken Pett over almost all our midfield and would still take Grandin over most of them). This begs the question, just how crap is our budget?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 2, 2020, 8:36pm; Reply: 35

Not sure about the jokes but the first bit’s correct. We’ve been on a downward curve since the day he took over and now even the messiah is starting to realise what the problem is.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 2, 2020, 9:21pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not sure about the jokes but the first bit’s correct. We’ve been on a downward curve since the day he took over and now even the messiah is starting to realise what the problem is.

We both agree about our esteemed major shareholder, but what makes you say even Ollie is realising? Has he said something that makes you say that?

One of the most bizarre things of Ollie's tenure so far is how he has heaped praise on the man who has been a disaster for the Mariners, but I think that is one of Ollies quirks - bigging things up too early. Did the same with Moshni and Windsor.

I am still hoping Ollie has got a master plan which involves life after Fenty but that is one of my quirks - a perpetual daydreamer.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 2, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 37

We both agree about our esteemed major shareholder, but what makes you say even Ollie is realising? Has he said something that makes you say that?

One of the most bizarre things of Ollie's tenure so far is how he has heaped praise on the man who has been a disaster for the Mariners, but I think that is one of Ollies quirks - bigging things up too early. Did the same with Moshni and Windsor.

I am still hoping Ollie has got a master plan which involves life after Fenty but that is one of my quirks - a perpetual daydreamer.

Being entirely honest, you, I and several others have been extremely sceptical about our future for a long time so I’m a bit surprised that you haven’t noticed the lowering of the bar in terms of both expectations and the ‘well run’ mantra.

There’s no expectation from me. When the chairman is a puppet of the majority shareholder, as was the late Pete Furneaux, there’s no accountability. The manager was buying shares, but hasn’t. As usual with GTFC, it’s all a bit smoke and mirrors.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 2, 2020, 10:09pm; Reply: 38
Exactly this^ smoke and mirrors. Riddle after riddle. Nigh on 2 decades of demise. I’ve seen 1 flipping promotion in 26 years. Obviously didnt attend 98. And one constant denominator. John Sheldon Fenty
Posted by: GY1, December 2, 2020, 10:26pm; Reply: 39
It seems to me that Ollie took a gamble that didn't pay off. He thought the season would be cut short/cancelled because of Covid. Spent "no" money. Tried to pick up a couple of nuggets from non-league. Blood a few youngsters and hope to sell one, and be in good shape financially for next season. If it had worked he'd have been a hero, but it didn't! He now has to regroup in January and try to get some experience/quality in, but if they still want a Covid clause I doubt he'll do much good, and if not the other players with that clause wont be happy? I'm sure he'll figure it out. Stay tuned!
Posted by: lee65, December 2, 2020, 11:01pm; Reply: 40
Posted the other week after a Philip Day interview, when asked about January the first point he made was that any business would need to be “one in, one out” so I guess that’s 2 spaces freed up if Moshni and Ludwig have gone by then?
Posted by: forza ivano, December 3, 2020, 6:53am; Reply: 41
Quoted from GY1
It seems to me that Ollie took a gamble that didn't pay off. He thought the season would be cut short/cancelled because of Covid. Spent "no" money. Tried to pick up a couple of nuggets from non-league. Blood a few youngsters and hope to sell one, and be in good shape financially for next season. If it had worked he'd have been a hero, but it didn't! He now has to regroup in January and try to get some experience/quality in, but if they still want a Covid clause I doubt he'll do much good, and if not the other players with that clause wont be happy? I'm sure he'll figure it out. Stay tuned!

With the vaccine being rolled out and with the benefit of hindsight my guess is that the covid clause is mo longer necessary and we will be back to competing on level terms
On Lee65s point, the good thing about those 2 going is that they were amongst the higher earners so my guess was that it saves c £4000 per week
Posted by: Mendonca1995, December 3, 2020, 7:19am; Reply: 42
Let’s (hope) that the quality players that were ringing him everyday will come now the vaccine is soon to arrive, no clauses no excuses now we want to see some quality players brought in and the ones deemed not good enough out, fans have dug deep YET AGAIN to help the club it’s now about time to see something given back to us by the powers above for once, we’ve had to put up with so much dross since hurst left we just haven’t progressed one bit since being back in the league, it’s pretty much same every season new manager new team/squad over and over again, so BACK Ollie and give us something to get excited about !!! UTMM
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 3, 2020, 8:35am; Reply: 43
i'm confused at the left back comments? have we fallen out with Preston and I've missed it?

Hanson might not score tons, but he helps others with his presence, and pulls defences everywhere, he is a good player at this level for sure.

Ideally for me

Hanson
     ^            Scannell   Edwards           ^
     |        Williams    Rose      Hewitt    |
Preston      Pollock    Waterfall      Hendrie
                     Mckeown

You then have some good subs when players are fit
Wright
Tilley
Clifton
Windsor
Gibson

The loans, barring Preston, Windsor & Edwards IMO can go back
Taylor, Bennett, Morton, Gomis all offer nothing
Try loan of a few players for the rest of season to play - Jackson Jnr, Sisay, Spokes

The team isn't sh!t, it's just too big, and not good enough to be a top half table, and is probably 2-3 starting players short
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 3, 2020, 9:47am; Reply: 44
I don't think anyone has fallen out with Preston.  He just looks shot to pieces.  He's a young lad with his first run at the professional standard and he's playing every game, often in a wingback role which has taken its toll on him.   Even with the best left-back in the world, you're going to need some cover for that frequency of games.

Sadly it doesn't matter what Hanson contributes when on the field,  the problem is that he's not on the field at all.  We can't rely on him at all.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 3, 2020, 9:51am; Reply: 45
Quoted from GY1

I think this sums it up perfectly.  

With every passing game it's becoming more and more apparent that the club was expecting a curtailed season so didn't want to invest.  You don't put clauses like the Covid ones in unless you think there's a good chance they'll be needed.  Holloway ranting about Port Vale and other clubs should have served as a warning of what he/the club thought would happen.

We went super cheap, signing a handful of players from well down the ladder with a view to developing them and maybe a couple emerging as good enough to hack it at this level but next year.  The bizarre situation with Ira Jackson Jnr. probably is a good example of this.  Lad hasn't featured for more than a few minutes but we're investing a lot of time and effort in his development.  It's with a view for next season.  

Problem is this season isn't going to be curtailed now.  I don't think we'll see anything close to normal for the rest of the season but we need to make sure we're not dragged into a relegation scrap.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 3, 2020, 10:31am; Reply: 46
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Being entirely honest, you, I and several others have been extremely sceptical about our future for a long time so I’m a bit surprised that you haven’t noticed the lowering of the bar in terms of both expectations and the ‘well run’ mantra.

There’s no expectation from me. When the chairman is a puppet of the majority shareholder, as was the late Pete Furneaux, there’s no accountability. The manager was buying shares, but hasn’t. As usual with GTFC, it’s all a bit smoke and mirrors.

I had noticed a lowering of expectations, but I thought that was all about this one-off, bizarre season which they thought would either be stop-start or not finish at all. In hindsight the covid clause was a mistake, as any player remotely in demand would not have touched it with a barge pole. The decision to go with numerous cheap loan players might not pay off either as it turns out, but all is not lost!

We should be back at BP by what, Easter? Normal season tickets sales in the summer. Therefore Fenty must give Ollie part of that income for the calibre of player in January that we should have got in the summer.

Our gamble has failed, and I hope Ollie is as keen as ever once things return to normal. It may be that I am desperate for him to succeed, because if Fenty manages to let this crumble to dust as he has everything else God knows what will happen.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 3, 2020, 11:55am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
i'm confused at the left back comments? have we fallen out with Preston and I've missed it?

Hanson might not score tons, but he helps others with his presence, and pulls defences everywhere, he is a good player at this level for sure.

Ideally for me

Hanson
     ^            Scannell   Edwards           ^
     |        Williams    Rose      Hewitt    |
                     Mckeown

You then have some good subs when players are fit
Wright
Tilley
Clifton
Windsor
Gibson

The loans, barring Preston, Windsor & Edwards IMO can go back
Taylor, Bennett, Morton, Gomis all offer nothing
Try loan of a few players for the rest of season to play - Jackson Jnr, Sisay, Spokes

The team isn't sh!t, it's just too big, and not good enough to be a top half table, and is probably 2-3 starting players short

Interesting team when you consider George Williams was hooked off at half time at Tranmere and hasn't been seen since.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 3, 2020, 12:39pm; Reply: 48
I am wondering where are the strikers we need that nobody else wants ?

Proven goal scores cost money unless a club is daft enough to let them walk for free.

Now who would do that.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 3, 2020, 2:38pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Interesting team when you consider George Williams was hooked off at half time at Tranmere and hasn't been seen since.

Yeah, not sure why, as he is more than good enough, and better than a lot of others we have..

Other option for me would be:

Hanson
     ^      Wright  Edwards           ^
     |     Rose  Scannell     Hewitt    |
                     Mckeown

Rose and Hewitt drop when Preston and Hendrie push on, keeping us more solid at the back for any counter

Scannell staying central, and controlling the play when in possession,which we have seen recently, he is good at doing
Then have Wright & Edwards running beyond Hanson.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 3, 2020, 2:54pm; Reply: 50
I would think those given the hook after Tranmere were the ones whose game stats were "way down" as Olly said in his interview. A bit of time on the naughty step.
Posted by: psgmariner, December 3, 2020, 7:46pm; Reply: 51
If we continue to try and play out from the back we need a new keeper and 3-4 new defenders.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 7, 2020, 10:32am; Reply: 52

Bradford aren't hanging around now they have dropped into the relegation places:

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportbcfc/18924134.nn/
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:33pm