Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: cannylad68, November 29, 2020, 10:30am
And did it count?

November 9th. 1968.
Barrow versus Plymouth Argyle.
In the 77th. minute, with the score at 0-0, George McLean fired a mis-hit across the Plymouth goal and Irish Republic goalkeeper Pat Dunne came out for a routine collection.
The referee tried to jump out of the way, but the result was a perfect back heel into the unguarded net.
The final score 1-0.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 29, 2020, 10:49am; Reply: 1
45 mins in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngWcHGGrKLQ
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, November 29, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QgtizRp-Sw

I also remember another from one of the old Danny Baker videos.  It was an English old Division 1 game, possibly from the 70s.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 29, 2020, 11:29am; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

Never seen it Ginny, think I'll give it a watch.

Recognised the ref straight away, he also played the suicidal lodger in "Rising Damp."

Posted by: moosey_club, November 29, 2020, 12:18pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

Never seen it Ginny, think I'll give it a watch.

Recognised the ref straight away, he also played the suicidal lodger in "Rising Damp."

It's a cracking little tale that one. I saw it when I was a kid and it's always stuck with me. It was my first thought when I saw the title of the thread.
Love the advice when the little toe rags are pilfering too.
Posted by: cannylad68, November 29, 2020, 1:01pm; Reply: 5
I posted the article because it was George McLean.
Without checking, I think he had a scoring record for us of approx.1 goal every other game.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 29, 2020, 1:08pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from cannylad68
Without checking, I think he had a scoring record for us of approx.1 goal every other game.

He got the assist in that game. :P
Posted by: golfer, November 29, 2020, 1:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from cannylad68

AND 5 pints in the Imp
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, November 29, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 8
Before the recent silly law change, the referee was part of the field of play and the ball hitting them was essentially the same as it hitting the frame of the goal.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 29, 2020, 3:58pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

Well I guess this comes to mind.

https://youtu.be/Yu-5LCr1kwg
Posted by: ginnywings, November 29, 2020, 4:02pm; Reply: 10
Yeah, did think of that too Herts.
Posted by: golfer, November 29, 2020, 4:33pm; Reply: 11
So that's where Olly got his summer signings from - thought I recognised Morton.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 30, 2020, 6:02pm; Reply: 12
Not scoring a goal but.....I did see at Blundell Park (maybe early 80s and haven't got a clue who it was against) late in the game the opposition come out of defence and the right back hits a long, hopeful cross field ball that is going nowhere (from the Main Stand towards The Findus). It hits the ref who is stood in the centre circle and it ricochets off him as a perfect through ball for their striker to run on to with our defence completely cut apart and flat footed. The striker calmly slots it home and Town have lost.

We didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Posted by: toontown, November 30, 2020, 6:48pm; Reply: 13
Not scoring a goal but.....I did see at Blundell Park (maybe early 80s and haven't got a clue who it was against) late in the game the opposition come out of defence and the right back hits a long, hopeful cross field ball that is going nowhere (from the Main Stand towards The Findus). It hits the ref who is stood in the centre circle and it ricochets off him as a perfect through ball for their striker to run on to with our defence completely cut apart and flat footed. The striker calmly slots it home and Town have lost.

We didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Didn't that sort of happen against York one season in the conference, and we lost late on cos of it? Might be wrong
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 30, 2020, 8:11pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from toontown

Didn't that sort of happen against York one season in the conference, and we lost late on cos of it? Might be wrong

It may well have done but this was years ago. This might (might!) have been against Cardiff.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 30, 2020, 8:31pm; Reply: 15
I did it once. ;D

Well, sort of. In a friendly student game between two halls or residence in the 60s we were short of a referee, it being Sunday morning. So it was decided the subs or the players they replaced would be the ref for half a game one from each team. It wasn't the first time we'd done it for a friendly as we all knew each other anyway.

Not normally a prolific scorer I managed to crash home a piledriver that trickled in from all of 5 yards in the first half and was nominated referee for the second half. The lad who was the first half ref failed to score, he went in goal.
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 7:56am