Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, November 28, 2020, 4:47pm
Randon comment seen on facebook from Yeovil fan.
Commenting on them signing the unprolific Chris Dagnall he made the throwaway comment that Ludwig would be the next to come in.
Didnt make much sense, and seemed really random  but anyone heard anything?
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 28, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from forza ivano
Randon comment seen on facebook from Yeovil fan.
Commenting on them signing the unprolific Chris Dagnall he made the throwaway comment that Ludwig would be the next to come in.
Didnt make much sense, and seemed really random  but anyone heard anything?

Didn't someone on here mention him going to Yeovil?

I have heard/seen it before.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 28, 2020, 11:39pm; Reply: 2

Never really worked out here for Ludvig and Seb did it but I wish Ludvig well, always gave 100% for us.

Posted by: Poojah, November 29, 2020, 5:04am; Reply: 3
Quoted from promotion plaice

Never really worked out here for Ludvig and Seb did it but I wish Ludvig well, always gave 100% for us.

I thought he looked class in his early cameo appearances for us, and certainly more suited to the English game than his homoerotically named countryman Seb Ring.

For whatever reason, he never really stood out much after that, despite not doing all that much wrong either.

He had cult hero potential, but ultimately found himself blending in with the beige mediocrity of post-non-league Town, like ever so many others.
Posted by: pen penfras, November 29, 2020, 9:56am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Poojah

I thought he looked class in his early cameo appearances for us, and certainly more suited to the English game than his homoerotically named countryman Seb Ring.

For whatever reason, he never really stood out much after that, despite not doing all that much wrong either.

He had cult hero potential, but ultimately found himself blending in with the beige mediocrity of post-non-league Town, like ever so many others.

He looked really good for most of the game time he had, but gave away a lot of needless free kicks.

I'm surprised he's been let go when we only have Idehen as backup in central defence and Holloway has been singing his praises in post match interviews. I know he's trying to encourage the players, but very odd to single somebody out for praise and then let them go a couple of weeks later.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 29, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 5
Quoted from pen penfras

He looked really good for most of the game time he had, but gave away a lot of needless free kicks.

I'm surprised he's been let go when we only have Idehen as backup in central defence and Holloway has been singing his praises in post match interviews. I know he's trying to encourage the players, but very odd to single somebody out for praise and then let them go a couple of weeks later.

I thought at the time it was a mutual decision, I.e. that ludwig wanted to go home to his family and have a break before the swedish season starts in january
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, November 29, 2020, 10:07am; Reply: 6
Quoted from forza ivano

I thought at the time it was a mutual decision, I.e. that ludwig wanted to go home to his family and have a break before the swedish season starts in january

Another factor MIGHT be wages - if Ollie rates others more who are on lower wages, and/or if he thinks he can get better value for money wage-wise that would explain it too.       I think this is a big factor at this level - higher up the pyramid, if you don't like a player, just ignore them, but at this level, you really need to get rid so you can find replacements.

Posted by: Ipswin, November 29, 2020, 10:23am; Reply: 7
If he's going back to Sweden fair dos but if he stays in UK then I think it's a mistake letting him go.

There's no doubt he would (and did) run through brick walls for the club (occasionally taking the opposing forward with him unfortunately)

Pollock Waterfall and Ohman is a strong basis with the young(er) lad in the wings if necessary but not having to be used too often just yet
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 29, 2020, 10:51am; Reply: 8
I’d be a bit annoyed if he stayed in English football, he’s certainly our 3rd best centre back.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 29, 2020, 11:12am; Reply: 9
Worryingly Ollie has mentioned about having the youth Grist? as back up, he isn't even getting regular starts in the youth team at the moment and as we have virtually no reserve games I dont quite get it, Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 29, 2020, 11:18am; Reply: 10
He is 15 as well. Its no back up. Would be dissapointed if Ludvig did go to Yeovil. More than good enough for us
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 29, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 11
Ludwig was so frustrating. He's very brave, but he needs to win every ball. And every ball is not winnable. This means he goes through the back of players and you can't do that nowadays, it's free kick after free kick. Sometimes you have to let your opponent receive the ball then deal with the situation. He gets turned too easily as well due to the same reason, he gets too tight and gets spun. He looks raw sometimes when in reality he is a seasoned pro who has played in leagues across the globe.

Ludwig is 29 and isn't going to learn now. He always gave his best for Town and quietly got on with his work and I wish him well.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 29, 2020, 12:04pm; Reply: 12
Think a new centre back will join in January so leaves us slightly vulnerable in December, especially if there was an injury or straight red for Waterfall, but always happy to see our younger players getting a chance in the first team.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 29, 2020, 12:26pm; Reply: 13
Another one who suddenly becomes "Bobby Moore" as soon as he his released.
He could head a ball...he was brave. End of.

Those alone might be enough attributes to earn a long career in the S.P.L but not good enough in England. He is awful on the ball, poor disciplinary record, penalty against record, conceded too many free kicks....just watch the Hull Tinpot Trophy game highlights to see his failings.

We should be expecting much more from a cente half even at this level.

Posted by: forza ivano, November 29, 2020, 12:39pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Another factor MIGHT be wages - if Ollie rates others more who are on lower wages, and/or if he thinks he can get better value for money wage-wise that would explain it too.       I think this is a big factor at this level - higher up the pyramid, if you don't like a player, just ignore them, but at this level, you really need to get rid so you can find replacements.

Good point, well made. Interestingly yeovil seem to have had some sort if cash injection so are on a mini spending spree
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, November 29, 2020, 12:47pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from moosey_club
Those alone might be enough attributes to earn a long career in the S.P.L but not good enough in England. He is awful on the ball, poor disciplinary record, penalty against record, conceded too many free kicks....just watch the Hull Tinpot Trophy game highlights to see his failings.
We should be expecting much more from a cente half even at this level  

Ohman doesnt score enough goals either.     Same age as Waterfall,  one has 30+ career goals, the other has just 3......

Posted by: ginnywings, November 29, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from moosey_club

Totally agree.

I'm almost certain IH will find someone better, and more suited to the way he wants to play.

Wish Ludwig well, always gave his all, was never any bother, but he was your typical big stopper, and there are loads of them around.
Posted by: Kris2, November 29, 2020, 2:49pm; Reply: 17
Feels like there are better options out there. I admire players who like to get stuck in, can't question his effort but these days this kind of CB just doesn't work so well in L2. There is a lot more pace at this level these days and that's where many of his fouls come from. I think if he stayed in England and dropped down a level then he'd be a star player against those lumbering bully forwards that get employed often in non league.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 29, 2020, 2:50pm; Reply: 18
I like him but as several posters have pointed out there were lots of shortcomings to his game and his distribution was shocking, not something that aligns with Ollie's preferred style of play.

To add to that I think in Idehen, we've got a centre back who is a suitable 3rd choice, I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen of him so far.

I guess the only dilema comes if Waterfall was to get injured as you wouldn't really want a 17 and an 18 year old together at the back for an extended period. Maybe I'm wrong in that assumption but I suppose if that did happen there's also the possibility of Hewitt or Hendrie slotting in there short term to blend in a bit more experience.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 29, 2020, 3:51pm; Reply: 19
Squad player and not enough technique to get touch tight without giving away soft yellows and ultimately 2nd yellows, credit to him though he is brave.
Posted by: lee65, November 29, 2020, 6:50pm; Reply: 20
I think Hewitt as a 4th choice CB currently after Waterfall, Pollock, and Idehen is the best we have. Looks better in there than Hendrie for me and is quite useful in the air
Posted by: forza ivano, November 29, 2020, 6:58pm; Reply: 21
According to 'ciderspace' it's a strong rumour that hes wanted by them
Posted by: Henryscat, November 29, 2020, 11:10pm; Reply: 22
I think he’d do well in the conference to be fair just because of the standard of refereeing.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 30, 2020, 9:47am; Reply: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

Also in complete agreement with this.

When he arrived I thought he was going to be an absolute colossus for us.  Early on the ball just seemed to gravitate to his head .  Not sure if it was the constant assaults he was subjected to by League two strikers and their elbows, a drop in standards or teams figuring him out, maybe a combination of more than one factor.  But his effectiveness soon wore out.   I think the emergence of Pollock and then the signing of Waterfall perhaps made his dominance in the air seem less impressive too.  

On the floor he look suspect from day one but you hoped he would improve, sadly he didn't.  Became a liability and the stupid free-kicks and bookings became a bit of a joke really.

Shame as he really did look a bit of a coup when we first got him.

With regards the situation at centre-back, Ohman was (in my head) miles behind Idehen as third choice.  Idehen is getting better with each game and it really wouldn't surprise me if he's the one who ends up getting a big move before Pollock.  Still leaves us a bit bare though and whilst Hendrie has done a job there many a time and wouldn't let anyone down, that still leaves us short at full-back.  We're effectively 6 players covering 4 positions (5 if we go with a wingback system).  Fair enough Holloway might say Clifton can play full-back/wing-back and maybe too can Wright.  I'd be amazed if we don't bring another defender in once the window opens.
Posted by: pen penfras, November 30, 2020, 10:21am; Reply: 24
Quoted from diehardmariner

Also in complete agreement with this.

When he arrived I thought he was going to be an absolute colossus for us.  Early on the ball just seemed to gravitate to his head .  Not sure if it was the constant assaults he was subjected to by League two strikers and their elbows, a drop in standards or teams figuring him out, maybe a combination of more than one factor.  But his effectiveness soon wore out.   I think the emergence of Pollock and then the signing of Waterfall perhaps made his dominance in the air seem less impressive too.  

On the floor he look suspect from day one but you hoped he would improve, sadly he didn't.  Became a liability and the stupid free-kicks and bookings became a bit of a joke really.

Shame as he really did look a bit of a coup when we first got him.

With regards the situation at centre-back, Ohman was (in my head) miles behind Idehen as third choice.  Idehen is getting better with each game and it really wouldn't surprise me if he's the one who ends up getting a big move before Pollock.  Still leaves us a bit bare though and whilst Hendrie has done a job there many a time and wouldn't let anyone down, that still leaves us short at full-back.  We're effectively 6 players covering 4 positions (5 if we go with a wingback system).  Fair enough Holloway might say Clifton can play full-back/wing-back and maybe too can Wright.  I'd be amazed if we don't bring another defender in once the window opens.

Agree about Idehen, I think he's got more potential than Pollock. He doesn't have the confidence and concentration is a bit lacking, but when he's played he's usually been against the better of the strikers on the pitch and put them out the game for most of it. Unfortunately he has that lapse in concentration that has given a few chances, but that will get better with experience. He has pace too, which Pollock will never have, and I think that's a big factor for moving up a level.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 30, 2020, 10:44am; Reply: 25
Quoted from pen penfras

Agree about Idehen, I think he's got more potential than Pollock. He doesn't have the confidence and concentration is a bit lacking, but when he's played he's usually been against the better of the strikers on the pitch and put them out the game for most of it. Unfortunately he has that lapse in concentration that has given a few chances, but that will get better with experience. He has pace too, which Pollock will never have, and I think that's a big factor for moving up a level.

In the top two divisions pace is essential. Think Pollock has great potential but without pace he will do well to get to Premier League level.
Posted by: joe56, November 30, 2020, 10:46am; Reply: 26
I agree totally with the comments about Idehen. The first time I saw him I thought immediately of Des Walker. It’s a rarity that a lad with all the usual credentials of a good centre back has significant speed as well. It wouldn’t surprise me if he made it all the way to the Premier League. I wonder if he’s already under the scrutiny of bigger clubs. I can’t believe that Lincoln let him go.
Posted by: denni266, November 30, 2020, 10:54am; Reply: 27
Getting sick of all these managers we get that put square pegs in round holes . Ffs
Posted by: monkeyboy, November 30, 2020, 3:25pm; Reply: 28
Sorry but I thought he is better than waterfall. Waterfall has got mistakes that leads to goals in him. Ludwig certainly fouled a fair bit agreed but his distribution is better than waterfall.

I’m sorry to see him go
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 30, 2020, 5:50pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Worryingly Ollie has mentioned about having the youth Grist? as back up, he isn't even getting regular starts in the youth team at the moment and as we have virtually no reserve games I dont quite get it, Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It's all Grist to the mill.....
Posted by: Tommy, November 30, 2020, 9:27pm; Reply: 30
Agree with Moosey's brutal but probably fair assessment.

I thought Ohman was great at putting his head on it or getting his body in the way if he was close enough. But that was an issue for me, if he wasn't close enough to immediately make a block, he was too laid back or slow to get back and make one - bit of both I think, as he didn't have that fire or desire to sprint across and get a block in. Once he's beaten or play had gone past him he'd just jog back, possibly thinking he wouldn't make it back in time.

Had bravery but not the determination and dedication to keeping a clean sheet or just preventing the ball going in our net.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 11:55pm