Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Ipswin, November 28, 2020, 3:55pm
Hurst's banner on the flyover was nowt compared to this. Ipswich sitting 3rd in L1 and Lambert gets this at the training ground after Hull beat them 3-0

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/lambert-on-banner-calling-for-his-sacking-1-6946567

Nice professional banner too none of your roughly painted Grimsby bedsheet!

Was hoping Omar might stick it up Ipswich today but he's been dropped to the bench (Toto would probably have played him out of the game anyway. Nolan injured again)
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 28, 2020, 3:58pm; Reply: 1
There might be a few extra banners this evening, as Ipswich are losing at home today against Charlton.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 28, 2020, 4:07pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Gaffer58
There might be a few extra banners this evening, as Ipswich are losing at home today against Charlton.

Long may it continue I dislike Ipswich intensely and have always had a soft spot for Charlton.

Always wish I had been able to go to a game at the old Valley That absolutely enormous side terrace amazed me as a lad reading the football annual at Christmas. Worked with a fella whose father was a ST holder there in the 50s and 60s He stood right at the back and his lad who was only about 7 or 8 was passed down to the front I believe it held over 20,000!

Posted by: thefish, November 28, 2020, 4:32pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Ipswin
Hurst's banner on the flyover was nowt compared to this. Ipswich sitting 3rd in L1 and Lambert gets this at the training ground after Hull beat them 3-0

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/lambert-on-banner-calling-for-his-sacking-1-6946567

Was hoping Omar might stick it up Ipswich today but he's been dropped to the bench (Toto would probably have played him out of the game anyway. Nolan injured again)

He has now!
Posted by: Ipswin, November 28, 2020, 4:34pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from thefish

He has now!

Virtually his first touch apparently

Posted by: arryarryarry, November 28, 2020, 4:48pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Ipswin

Are you sure you didn't put it up as according to some on here it's only Town fans that would do that sort of thing.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 28, 2020, 6:51pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from arryarryarry

Are you sure you didn't put it up as according to some on here it's only Town fans that would do that sort of thing.

Waste of a good strip of plastic sheeting, I'm saving mine for 'Holloway out' ;)

Posted by: Poojah, November 28, 2020, 8:17pm; Reply: 7
The advantage that Hurst had over Lambert was that he hadn’t previously won back-to-back promotions with Norwich.

He’s about as welcome in the Portman Road dugout as Peter Beagrie was in a Town shirt.
Posted by: Poojah, November 28, 2020, 8:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Ipswin

Virtually his first touch apparently

At first as I was chuffed for the lad having scored his first goal for Charlton, only to be overshadowed by the disappointment that he was wearing gloves in 10 degree weather.

Have a word with yourself, Omar.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 28, 2020, 8:23pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Ipswin

Long may it continue I dislike Ipswich intensely and have always had a soft spot for Charlton.

Always wish I had been able to go to a game at the old Valley That absolutely enormous side terrace amazed me as a lad reading the football annual at Christmas. Worked with a fella whose father was a ST holder there in the 50s and 60s He stood right at the back and his lad who was only about 7 or 8 was passed down to the front I believe it held over 20,000!

I went in the early 80s, we won 1-0 IIRC, in front of a small number of thousands scattered over the huge terrace - their attendances were lower than ours at the time.

Posted by: arryarryarry, November 28, 2020, 9:02pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I went in the early 80s, we won 1-0 IIRC, in front of a small number of thousands scattered over the huge terrace - their attendances were lower than ours at the time.

That was probably the game I went to, think we went down on the train and we sat on the terrace right at the top of the highest part.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 28, 2020, 9:03pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Poojah

At first as I was chuffed for the lad having scored his first goal for Charlton, only to be overshadowed by the disappointment that he was wearing gloves in 10 degree weather.

Have a word with yourself, Omar.

Very strange Omar made no attempt at celebration at all just stood there. His team mates mobbed him of course but he was totally unmoved with what was his first goal. Wonder if all is well behind the scenes.

Anyway he stuffed it up Ipswich today which is all that matters

Posted by: moosey_club, November 28, 2020, 9:15pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Ipswin

Very strange Omar made no attempt at celebration at all just stood there. His team mates mobbed him of course but he was totally unmoved with what was his first goal. Wonder if all is well behind the scenes.

He was probably in shock.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 29, 2020, 12:05pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Ipswin

Did that several time for us too. Was probably trying to be cool again.
Posted by: Poojah, November 29, 2020, 12:18pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Did that several time for us too. Was probably trying to be cool again.

Sometimes the best way to celebrate is not to celebrate at all. Forgive the Man Yoo reference, but I’ve always loved the smug arrogance of Eric Cantona’s reaction to his goal against Sunderland in the mid-90s, as if to say “that’s right, I’m fúcking brilliant”.

[youtube]1lwsLgbJ2-4[/youtube]
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 30, 2020, 12:09pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Ipswin

My first away day on my own, it was my 16th birthday 10th March 1984. it was either on a Peter Sheffield coach or Solid entertainment coach I travelled down on, got a mate older brother to get 4 cans of Special brew for the journey, those were the days. We drew 3-3, was 2-0 down Drinkell and Ford made it 2-2, Charlton took the lead again, only for Drinkell to score towards the end of the game.
We were behind the goal, that terrace was to our right, impressive terrace. Think Charlton had money problems, was not sure whether the game would be played, some things never change.
I lots of memories and stories following the Mighty Mariners.

UTMM
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 30, 2020, 12:31pm; Reply: 16
Never really liked Lambert, found him dour as a person and his style of play.  But that's the perfect way to respond to the fans.  He doesn't have a dig at them, he hints and understanding them and he turns it into a rallying call.

I've no idea if that works with the Ipswich fans and there's clearly that problem for his association with Norwich.  But fair play to him for that response.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 30, 2020, 12:34pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Poojah

Sometimes the best way to celebrate is not to celebrate at all. Forgive the Man Yoo reference, but I’ve always loved the smug arrogance of Eric Cantona’s reaction to his goal against Sunderland in the mid-90s, as if to say “that’s right, I’m fúcking brilliant”.

[youtube]1lwsLgbJ2-4[/youtube]

Paul Groves was ace at this too.  Can't remember the exact game, for some reason I'm thinking Watford at home just before Xmas 1998.  He scores the winner and just stands in front of the Pontoon with head held high and his chest puffed out. Everything about it just oozed that level of arrogance you want from your main man.  
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 30, 2020, 2:01pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from diehardmariner

Paul Groves was ace at this too.  Can't remember the exact game, for some reason I'm thinking Watford at home just before Xmas 1998.  He scores the winner and just stands in front of the Pontoon with head held high and his chest puffed out. Everything about it just oozed that level of arrogance you want from your main man.  

As celebrations go I always loved Gary birtles. Score a worldy then run back to our half ready for the kick off shaking a couple of hands of those who came across to him.

Bit like a Harry Enfield sketch.

Great stuff, what a player he was for us.
Posted by: Yossarian, November 30, 2020, 3:31pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Ipswin

I live a couple of miles from The Valley - I love their stadium now.  The away end is a bit crappy, but overall the ground has the perfect combination of size, close-to-pitchness (!!) and slightly crap local pubs that only football supporters would ever visit.  The accoustics are excellent as well..... their kop end really captures the sound.  That old terrace was massive though!   In the years around the 30, 40s, 50s there were loads of factories up and down the Thames just near Greenwich and Charlton, Woolwich - blokes would finish their shift and go straight to the match.
Posted by: Tommy, November 30, 2020, 9:11pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Posh Harry

As celebrations go I always loved Gary birtles. Score a worldy then run back to our half ready for the kick off shaking a couple of hands of those who came across to him.

Bit like a Harry Enfield sketch.

Great stuff, what a player he was for us.

One thing that always stands out for me whenver I see a clip of some old footage or goals, is the lack of celebrations.

It was just....bang...goal, maybe a clenched fist wave for a second at best, but genetally just turn around and run back to the halfway line, probably shaking a few hands on the way back without stopping.

Whenever I see the clip of the 1-0 win at Goodison I always laugh at how the games kicking off again by the time the camera has stopped panning over the Town fans for a few seconds. Even in that moment of such glory on such an occasion they just sprinted straight back to get back to it.
Posted by: Tommy, November 30, 2020, 9:17pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from diehardmariner

A weird thing I've always loved about an old clip thats always played a lot, is around the Peschisolido sending off in the 98 PO semi final. When I watch that back (probably every year now thanks to the OnThisGTFCday Twitter account) I always watch those moments with a bit of pride and the thought that we had some real character, some real leaders. And some guys who would go to war with each other. After the horrendous tackle on Handyside and Brevett comes over all cocky (god knows why) its great seeing Grovesy, Lever, Galli etc all in there basically saying "you ain't gonna push us around here son." Love it.
Posted by: Tommy, November 30, 2020, 9:20pm; Reply: 22
Had to dig it out and watch it again after that reminiscing.....

https://youtu.be/NBbjfuCIgxw
Posted by: moosey_club, November 30, 2020, 9:54pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Tommy

"beautifully left by Livvo "........or in todays world....VAR has ruled the goal out for a foul by Livvo on the edge of the box   ;D
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 30, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 24
Thanks that just made me well up that did - what a moment in our history I loved that team and Buckley what a man
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 30, 2020, 10:33pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Tommy

Roly Godfrey, John Moore, the old video crew, you just can't beat it. :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 1, 2020, 1:39am; Reply: 26
Thanks Tommy. never tire of moments like that.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 11:58am