Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: crusty ole pie, November 25, 2020, 1:50pm
I enjoyed the commentary last night out of interest who would the fans prefer jordon or John ( maybe the result helped )
Posted by: Tinymariner, November 25, 2020, 2:00pm; Reply: 1
I thought the commentary team were good last night, not overly negative which JT is often guilty of.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 25, 2020, 2:18pm; Reply: 2
Afraid at some point in everyone's life your shelf life expires, think JT needs to hang his commentators boots up and allow some fresh, possibly less emotionally connected to the club, blood take the reigns now.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 25, 2020, 2:27pm; Reply: 3

I must be in the minority but I don't have a problem with John Tondeur commentating on Town, I like his passion for GTFC.
Posted by: TAGG, November 25, 2020, 2:36pm; Reply: 4
JT
Posted by: toontown, November 25, 2020, 3:00pm; Reply: 5
Don't have a problem with either of them doing it. I enjoyed lloyd Griffiths as well last nite thought me made some good points, especially about needing game management so not playing it out from the back in the last few minutes when leading by a goal!
Posted by: GrimRob, November 25, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 6
Last night's was a good commentary, the video quality and camera work were good too. I prefer a mix rather than getting the same commentators all the time. John's commentary has for many years been exclusively for the radio viewer. It would be good to have an actual commentator (whoever it is) on the pictures you are seeing, which I imagine is a slightly different skill.
Posted by: pen penfras, November 25, 2020, 3:55pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from GrimRob
Last night's was a good commentary, the video quality and camera work were good too. I prefer a mix rather than getting the same commentators all the time. John's commentary has for many years been exclusively for the radio viewer. It would be good to have an actual commentator (whoever it is) on the pictures you are seeing, which I imagine is a slightly different skill.

Yea, when he's commentating for the radio, you don't realise that he gets the wrong player about 10 times a game.

But the commentary is for the radio, they just combine it with the video. It's still the exact same commentary that the radio station does. Don't think they can adapt it easily, because the cost of a couple of commentators and equipment specifically for ifollow will cost more than the clubs make out of it once fans are allowed back in.
Posted by: oochiad, November 25, 2020, 4:35pm; Reply: 8
Anyone but JT, passion for Grimsby Town???? He’s so negative it’s laughable, that and the fact he gets the players mixed up far to often......With us watching the games on ifollow it stands out a mile how much of the game he gets wrong......time for a change.
Posted by: Poojah, November 25, 2020, 8:03pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from GrimRob
It would be good to have an actual commentator (whoever it is) on the pictures you are seeing, which I imagine is a slightly different skill.

The extended post-match highlights do feature a more tv-style commentary, however I assume this is dubbed into the highlights post-match. Assuming that’s the case, it’s quite well done actually.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 25, 2020, 8:11pm; Reply: 10
I enjoyed last night’s commentary more than Saturday. Not sure whether that was because of the content though.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 25, 2020, 8:16pm; Reply: 11
I thought last night was ok to be fair.
Posted by: Croxton, November 25, 2020, 9:12pm; Reply: 12
Jordan was well researched about both teams and dovetailed well with Lloyd Griffiths. He has extensive experience commentating across the divisions and interviewing management figures. I would still like to think JT is our main man but perhaps he is seeking to ease into part time as far as long away trips are concerned.
I certainly think he needs to have a thicker skin and not tweet about 'feelings'.
All of the co commentators have been effective so far and would not wish to return to a regular replacement for Buckley. Mix it up but please not Gwilym Lloyd!
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, November 25, 2020, 9:23pm; Reply: 13
JT

Teacher. Springsteen fan. Legend.
Posted by: TonySmith, November 25, 2020, 9:58pm; Reply: 14
  It must be a lot easier to give an upbeat positive commentary on a 2-1 win than a 5-0 drubbing, to be fair!
Posted by: Mikey_345, November 25, 2020, 11:07pm; Reply: 15
I love JT but over the last few years his constant negativity has warn abit thin now...

I’ve said elsewhere now we see the game with commentary you realise how much is called wrong.  For example he was itching to have a go at Gibson last Saturday for been offside so much so he didn’t notice it wasn’t him - and that isn’t an isolated incident.

I unfortunately think it’s due a change up and I really hate saying it as I grew up listening to him commentating on us.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, November 26, 2020, 1:11am; Reply: 16
Johnny T for me.....you know the score
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 26, 2020, 1:41am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Mikey_345
I love JT but over the last few years his constant negativity has warn abit thin now...

I’ve said elsewhere now we see the game with commentary you realise how much is called wrong.  For example he was itching to have a go at Gibson last Saturday for been offside so much so he didn’t notice it wasn’t him - and that isn’t an isolated incident.

I unfortunately think it’s due a change up and I really hate saying it as I grew up listening to him commentating on us.

Could be due to that fact that in the main we have been crap.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 26, 2020, 1:45am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Croxton
Jordan was well researched about both teams and dovetailed well with Lloyd Griffiths. He has extensive experience commentating across the divisions and interviewing management figures. I would still like to think JT is our main man but perhaps he is seeking to ease into part time as far as long away trips are concerned.
I certainly think he needs to have a thicker skin and not tweet about 'feelings'.
All of the co commentators have been effective so far and would not wish to return to a regular replacement for Buckley. Mix it up but please not Gwilym Lloyd!

This is probably the case. I believe Jordan lives down south and that is why he usually does the games in that area when JT doesn't make it.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 26, 2020, 1:48am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Croxton

Hasn't Gary Croft replaced Alan Buckley for home games? AB never did away games and usually RH try to get an ex Town player for those.

Posted by: ex-merseymariner, November 26, 2020, 4:00am; Reply: 20
Quoted from arryarryarry

Hasn't Gary Croft replaced Alan Buckley for home games? AB never did away games and usually RH try to get an ex Town player for those.

On the issue of co-commentators, while it makes me feel old, 2 of RH's better recent co-commentators are also from that Slade-era team, namely Paul Bolland, who has done a couple of Town away games and left me wishing he was in our team still, and Tom Newey, who has done mainly Scunny games I think, but seems quite knowledgeable.

Posted by: Poojah, November 26, 2020, 6:08am; Reply: 21
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

On the issue of co-commentators, while it makes me feel old, 2 of RH's better recent co-commentators are also from that Slade-era team, namely Paul Bolland, who has done a couple of Town away games and left me wishing he was in our team still, and Tom Newey, who has done mainly Scunny games I think, but seems quite knowledgeable.

Also from that era, Martin Gritton is excellent.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 28, 2020, 10:26am; Reply: 22
Can't vote because not bothered which one does it. :-/
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 28, 2020, 10:30am; Reply: 23
PS wheres Charles Ekberg when we need him :)
Posted by: Stadium, November 28, 2020, 10:55am; Reply: 24
Quoted from oochiad
Anyone but JT, passion for Grimsby Town???? He’s so negative it’s laughable, that and the fact he gets the players mixed up far to often......With us watching the games on ifollow it stands out a mile how much of the game he gets wrong......time for a change.

This.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 28, 2020, 11:04am; Reply: 25
Martin Gritton is excellent probably my favourite co-commentator, I also really like Gary Croft too. I do miss Buckley though I hope he comes back and does a few more games in the future.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 28, 2020, 12:14pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Stadium

This.

Yes he’s old and local. Knows nothing. Doesn’t give a toss about the Town. Kick him out. ;)

Posted by: aldi_01, November 28, 2020, 12:57pm; Reply: 27
Not sure we’ll ever hear the Lord commentate on Towns games again which is a shame.

I think Bolland is decent as is Grits.

Newey is an interesting one, seemed to get a hard time at town from certain fans but was never the worst player. My scunny supporting mate says he’s decent on commentary.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:30pm