Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Withnail, November 24, 2020, 9:05pm
Massive 3 points. Showed real grit and determination to turn that around after the worst possible start, particularly as morale must have sunk like a brick off the back of the last few games.

It's a great feeling to win but please let's get some perspective. This doesn't mean we're going up just as losing on Saturday (bad as wwverre and I'm certainly not an apologist for that performance) means we're going down.

I think there have been some pretty cheap and undignified digs at Ollie over the last few days. I'm not going to ask anyone to self flagelate or ask for forgiveness but those of you who told Ollie blah blah blah... should have a word with yourself.

Up the fookin' Mariners.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 24, 2020, 9:07pm; Reply: 1
Only seven points off the play-offs with games in hand  ;)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 24, 2020, 9:07pm; Reply: 2
Was a great, battling team performance. Exactly what the doctor ordered after Saturday. Bit more direct at times but also more positive and looked more threatening for it. Thought Wright, Scannell and Rose worked their socks off and it was a heroic effort from Waterfall at the back.
Posted by: davmariner, November 24, 2020, 9:13pm; Reply: 3
Special mention to McKeown who made a fantastic save 1v1 to prevent them from getting a second goal.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 24, 2020, 9:13pm; Reply: 4
Amazing. Who would have believed it ........ apart from Ollie? ;D
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 24, 2020, 9:18pm; Reply: 5
Very pleased for Ollie, good reaction from the lads and some justified inclusions in the matchday squad
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 24, 2020, 9:24pm; Reply: 6
Excellent win and with that bit of added experience in the side a good performance as well. Not for tonight but what does the selection of the substitutes bench tell us about the futures of quite a few of the other players?
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 24, 2020, 9:25pm; Reply: 7
Fans are inclined to overreact both ways.
Wonder what Colchester fans are saying tonight after a 6-1 defeat tonight!
Posted by: Kris2, November 24, 2020, 9:27pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Probably calling for the manager to be sacked immediately and the fans to take over the running of the club from the chairman.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 24, 2020, 9:28pm; Reply: 9
Morton and Bennett seemt to have disappeared don't they? Not been any mention of injuries has there?
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 24, 2020, 9:32pm; Reply: 10
Not doing IFollow so just the radio, but it sounded a good performance with a few attacking chances, now that might have been the team or maybe because it wasn’t Mr Tondeur!
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 24, 2020, 9:32pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Some are slagging off some of the players and wanting the manager sacked.

Well fancy that.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 24, 2020, 9:51pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Morton and Bennett seemt to have disappeared don't they? Not been any mention of injuries has there?

Bennett has hamstring problem, Morton has just disappeared with one or two others!!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 24, 2020, 9:56pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Bennett has hamstring problem, Morton has just disappeared with one or two others!!

Cheers I had missed that about Bennett. Who beyond Morton, Ohman and Mohsni seems to have disappeared into the ether?
Posted by: lee65, November 24, 2020, 9:58pm; Reply: 14
Just looking at the table, and as well as having built up a bit of a gap from the bottom and having games in hand I notice that 8 of the 12 played so far were away!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 24, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from lee65
Just looking at the table, and as well as having built up a bit of a gap from the bottom and having games in hand I notice that 8 of the 12 played so far were away!

Might help if we can get a crowd back in but otherwise most of our wins have been away Lee. Interesting next week as Exeter have been on a great little run but have one hell of a journey for a night match. We have Bradford and Scunny at home in December so get Hanson back for these and we could start to get some mid-table momentum if we beat them two.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, November 24, 2020, 10:12pm; Reply: 16
great victory, just what we needed.
the only thing missing was the army of town fans there being saluted at the end by the players
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 24, 2020, 10:19pm; Reply: 17

Cheers I had missed that about Bennett. Who beyond Morton, Ohman and Mohsni seems to have disappeared into the ether?

Williams hooked off before halftime Saturday and not on the bus today.
Posted by: lee65, November 24, 2020, 10:31pm; Reply: 18

Might help if we can get a crowd back in but otherwise most of our wins have been away Lee. Interesting next week as Exeter have been on a great little run but have one hell of a journey for a night match. We have Bradford and Scunny at home in December so get Hanson back for these and we could start to get some mid-table momentum if we beat them two.

Fair point, but just thought that less long journeys might help recovery time etc.  :)
Posted by: Ipswin, November 25, 2020, 10:43am; Reply: 19

get Hanson back for these and we could start to get some mid-table momentum if we beat them two.

We don't need Hanson back, nwe can manage quite well without his torrent of goals

Posted by: davmariner, November 25, 2020, 10:47am; Reply: 20
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Williams hooked off before halftime Saturday and not on the bus today.

Think he needs to work on his fitness. He reminds me a bit of Adam Proudlock
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 25, 2020, 10:48am; Reply: 21
Pleased with the win before the w/end I would have been satisfied with two draws.

Losing even though he was a bit heavy and winning last night gives us an extra point.

A more relaxed period now leading up to Christmas with a few more home games.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 25, 2020, 1:07pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Ipswin

We don't need Hanson back, nwe can manage quite well without his torrent of goals

Well I would prefer a fit Hanson to a fit Green every day of the week but whether or not the bloke can get and stay fit is another matter.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), November 25, 2020, 3:46pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from GrimRob
Only seven points off the play-offs with games in hand  ;)

My thoughts exactly and we are above big spenders Bradford City Ha ha, and Mansfield. The gap widens with the not so mighty iron.
UTMM.
We have the best manager, it'll come good.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, November 25, 2020, 5:09pm; Reply: 24
Great win and three welcome points. Hope we can make the games in hand count. Ollie has also reminded the world that Grimsby is still here and on the map by giving two passionate interviews on Sky... but that cap!
Posted by: Mallyner, November 26, 2020, 2:48pm; Reply: 25
Was a great, battling team performance. Exactly what the doctor ordered after Saturday. Bit more direct at times but also more positive and looked more threatening for it. Thought Wright, Scannell and Rose worked their socks off and it was a heroic effort from Waterfall at the back.

First chance I have had to post and I agree it was a great battling team performance and hopefully it will be repeated from now on.

One person who has not shown much yet is Scannell, apart from one earlier game which I can't recall who it was against when he was superb. Perhaps for the next games he wasn't fit enough, or carrying an injury or the may have been a problem with him and Ollie, but in the shocking game against Tranmere, when he came on 30 minutes from the end, he did show me things I liked.

He seemed to be instructing the younger players who to mark to defend from the front and he played some delicious chipped passes down the left flank, which were not unfortunately turned into goal threats. However, as a senior player with experience that we need, I am hoping that he has turned the corner now and I am looking forward to more of that and some of his pace and skill at beating a man hopefully making him a regular on the team sheet.  :)

Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:25am