Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, November 24, 2020, 10:51am
I know its gonna take several weeks/months to get over saturdays result and performance but what do fans consider would be a reaction in tonights game.

A win, avoiding defeat, a hard working/spirited performance, A brave defensive display.

What are everyones expectations??
Posted by: Hagrid, November 24, 2020, 11:01am; Reply: 1
Take a excrement 0-0
Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2020, 11:05am; Reply: 2
Expectations and desire are two different things

I expect to lose, I want a win don't care how lucky, undeserved or scrappy.

Avoiding defeat, losing by a disputed last minute penalty, a brave display and Holloway being 'proud of the team' (again) won't do, it will simply paint over things for another week giving everyone false hopes again
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 24, 2020, 11:07am; Reply: 3

A win would be great but after Saturday a draw would be a move in the right direction.

Something like......

Crawley 3-3 Town

Gibson
Windsor
Pollock

Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2020, 11:10am; Reply: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

A win would be great but after Saturday a draw would be a move in the right direction.

Something like......

Crawley 3-3 Town

Gibson
Windsor
Pollock

I'd certainly take that, what are the chances do you think?

Posted by: GrimRob, November 24, 2020, 11:12am; Reply: 5
I think we should aim to win every game and set ourselves up accordingly. Every football match is a dice roll to some extent but I'd like to see evidence that we had a win in us, even if we don't actually win.

Whether it would take several weeks/months to get over one league defeat, I doubt. A couple of wins and talk about making the play-offs would resurface for sure.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 24, 2020, 11:14am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Ipswin

I'd certainly take that, what are the chances do you think?

Don't know but I'd get 4 points on the prediction thread   8)

Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 24, 2020, 11:20am; Reply: 7
Chances of us scoring 3 goals.....very unlikely
Chances of Crawley scoring 3 possible
Chances of a draw possible if 0-0 or 1-1
Would take a draw right now
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 24, 2020, 11:21am; Reply: 8
For my 1000th post how about a 1-0 win πŸ˜‡
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 24, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 9
A draw and a goal would be nice.

Does anybody know the next result after we lost 5-0 at Braintree ?
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 24, 2020, 11:30am; Reply: 10
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

I will take that and congratulations !!
Posted by: BeijingMariner, November 24, 2020, 11:52am; Reply: 11

well done, mate
Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2020, 11:58am; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete
A draw and a goal would be nice.

Does anybody know the next result after we lost 5-0 at Braintree ?

0-0 away at Newport

Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 24, 2020, 12:10pm; Reply: 13
For me, Holloway has to channel his inner Hurst tonight.

Keep us shape and stifle the opposition. Hopefully our scout was able to watch Crawley and identify their formation.

A win would be great but a back to basics 0-0 draw would bring some much needed confidence to the camp.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 24, 2020, 12:23pm; Reply: 14
I don’t think these players have it in them to make the sort of reaction we would like to see.

For one thing there would need to be a supermarket nearby for essential shopping where they could buy a goal.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2020, 12:33pm; Reply: 15
If Holloway doesn't get a reaction (effort not necessarily skill) tonight then it's time he did go as he's clearly unable to motive a team or they won't play for him, one of the two.

Also any players who don't react after the bottom kicking Holloway should have given them needs to go too
Posted by: Mariner John, November 24, 2020, 12:45pm; Reply: 16
When we attack it's about time the midfield players supported those upfront and moved into positions to assist. Look at Hull, every time they attacked they had 5 or 6 players to pass it to. We almost never have 2
Posted by: Tinymariner, November 24, 2020, 12:49pm; Reply: 17
I’d be happy with a clean sheet to start with, stop the rot and build from there. UTMM.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2020, 1:05pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Tinymariner
I’d be happy with a clean sheet to start with, stop the rot and build from there. UTMM.

I'd be happier to see us score goals

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 24, 2020, 1:07pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from jamesgtfc
For me, Holloway has to channel his inner Hurst tonight.

Keep us shape and stifle the opposition. Hopefully our scout was able to watch Crawley and identify their formation.

A win would be great but a back to basics 0-0 draw would bring some much needed confidence to the camp.

Madness comment
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 24, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 20
Sounds madness but I’d also like to see a near identical team take to the field, show that they want to make up for Saturday and earn the right to play for this club.
Posted by: Croxton, November 24, 2020, 1:31pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from pontoonlew
Sounds madness but I’d also like to see a near identical team take to the field, show that they want to make up for Saturday and earn the right to play for this club.

Yes, apart from Scannell. Hardly raised a sweat. Ollie said he had gone through the stats for each player and some were well off what he expected.It was apparent that Taylor was much more affected by his exertions in the Wales games than 'machine' Clifton.
Last year we were punished twice for losing possession high up the pitch and not marking Nadesan. If Crawley are pressed they concede corners, throws and free kicks like us but they break quickly and in numbers.

If we were serious about a reaction and getting three points we should have stayed in a hotel for this one.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 24, 2020, 2:33pm; Reply: 22
For all the talk of a rot, our recent league form reads as:

Tranmere - Defeat
Barrow - Win
Stevenage - Draw
Forest Green - Defeat
Carlisle - Draw

It's not great but it's hardly a rot.  It feels a lot worse because we had 3 consecutive cup defeats in there (2 of which I think you can completely discount due to the competition itself) and the manner of the Tranmere defeat.

I'm not downplaying it, far from it.  But take out the Papa John's games and the nature of the Tranmere defeat and we'd be WLL over our last three, probably still thinking it'll click at any moment.  

I'm hoping we're now going to see some consistency in the starting eleven and hopefully we can use the pretty dreadful weekend (on and off the field) as something to bounce back from.

Posted by: grimsby pete, November 24, 2020, 4:04pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

0-0 away at Newport

OK we will go one better tonight 1-0 hopefully
Posted by: golfer, November 24, 2020, 4:16pm; Reply: 24
0 2  with Hewitt and Edwards scoring  3 points to Town and 5 points to me.
Posted by: paramariner, November 24, 2020, 4:18pm; Reply: 25
We all are very upset and downhearted /embarrassed about Tranmere and rightly so , but those types of results can happen to any team, e.g. Liverpool 2-7 against Villa, Man U 1-6 V Spurs and what about Southampton - Leicester, was it 0-9 or 1-9?  I agree with other posters that the sooner we pick up points the sooner we can try to forget it.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 24, 2020, 4:23pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from golfer
0 2  with Hewitt and Edwards scoring  3 points to Town and 5 points to me.

Have you considered a job with Trump's legal team? The world needs optimists like you.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 24, 2020, 5:21pm; Reply: 27
I played Sunday league for a team that got hammered week in week out by 4, 5, 6 or 7 goals.  One week we go a 0-0 draw.  It was like we'd won the cup.  I'd take a score draw. (with no gifted goals).
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 24, 2020, 5:28pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Tinymariner

A clean sheet to start with will be ok... a clean sheet to finish with will be even better  ;)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 24, 2020, 5:29pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Madness comment

How is it madness? Worst thing we can do tonight is put ourselves at risk of another hammering.

Keep our shape, keep it simple and give ourselves something to build on.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 24, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from jamesgtfc

How is it madness? Worst thing we can do tonight is put ourselves at risk of another hammering.

Keep our us shape, keep it simple and give ourselves us selves something to build on.

Just amended that if we're going to be seeing a Hurst-like team tonight   ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, November 24, 2020, 5:35pm; Reply: 31
I'd play the usual back 5 stick hewitt in with rose and clifton to bolster the midfield and let green, Edward's and Windsor run around a lot up front!
Posted by: Eastendmariner, November 24, 2020, 5:37pm; Reply: 32
A draw would be a step in the right direction stats have proved in previous years we've been pants. Happy with a point
Posted by: golfer, November 24, 2020, 6:19pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Mayaman
I played Sunday league for a team that got hammered week in week out by 4, 5, 6 or 7 goals.  One week we go a 0-0 draw.  It was like we'd won the cup.  I'd take a score draw. (with no gifted goals).

I played for a team that scored double figures every match but one week we lost by 4 wickets.
Posted by: barralad, November 24, 2020, 6:53pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Ipswin

0-0 away at Newport

And a dreadful game it was too
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 24, 2020, 9:20pm; Reply: 35

Apologies it was a 2-1 win.
I must do better πŸ˜ƒ

Posted by: Tommy, November 24, 2020, 9:40pm; Reply: 36
Interesting seeing people post about the Hurst mentality in this situation. I was thinking earlier how Hurst (and Jolley too tbf) were guaranteed to go get a 0-0 after a heavy defeat or a run of losses. Used to be able to read it like clockwork.

We can argue all day about the relative success of different managers but I'm glad we had more ambition than that tonight under a boss who I never for one moment would pull a Hursty in this situation.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 25, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 37

Have you considered a job with Trump's legal team? The world needs optimists like you.

What the f*ck do I know!!
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 2:56am