Posted by: ginnywings, November 21, 2020, 10:04pm; Reply: 2
Again Boris?

You never give up.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, November 21, 2020, 10:06pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
Again Boris?

You never give up.

??

Holloway put it out there not me....Im sure plenty will be interested in the outcome.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 10:07pm; Reply: 4
I don’t doubt his ability or credentials but I don’t think he will get the support or the changes he needs to.
Posted by: Mariner16, November 21, 2020, 10:08pm; Reply: 5
No to IH leaving but yes to Boris leaving this board. Idiot.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2020, 10:11pm; Reply: 6
Ollie you got to stay and sort it out.

It would look bad on your cv. If you fail at Grimsby.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, November 21, 2020, 10:11pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Mariner16

So the Manager indicates if the fans arent happy he is prepared to leave.....not sure what's wrong with finding out what the views are.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 21, 2020, 10:12pm; Reply: 8
Rather Fenty went
Posted by: aldi_01, November 21, 2020, 10:21pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimsby pete
Ollie you got to stay and sort it out.

It would look bad on your cv. If you fail at Grimsby.

He hasn’t got a perfect CV though and to be honest, I think we’re likely his last club. Had we not taken a chance I’m not sure he’d have a job anyway.

I mean I think there’s several other people that need to be gone for the club to make us anything more than relegation fodder before Holloway goes...
Posted by: davmariner, November 21, 2020, 10:27pm; Reply: 10
I really fear that as a result of his poor recruitment, we’re in a relegation dogfight. Whether it’s his fault or not, I’m not convinced that he’s the man who can save us from relegation so I voted Holloway out.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 21, 2020, 10:31pm; Reply: 11
As an experienced manager with (apparently) a lot of contacts, surely, even with our penny pinching and need for Covid contracts he could see that some do the lads he was bringing in weren’t good enough.

In the end our recruitment became erratic and the season has panned out that way so far. Quantity over quality sadly...
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 21, 2020, 10:43pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from aldi_01
As an experienced manager with (apparently) a lot of contacts, surely, even with our penny pinching and need for Covid contracts he could see that some do the lads he was bringing in weren’t good enough.

In the end our recruitment became erratic and the season has panned out that way so far. Quantity over quality sadly...

That is making a very big assumption that these players were his primary targets. I suspect they were well down his list and only signed when better players refused to come.

Holloway would not want to admit this because it would have discouraged other possible signings for one thing and because it would make the club look bad for another. He is in much the same boat as Alan Buckley Mk3 in his efforts to attract quality.

Posted by: denni266, November 21, 2020, 11:29pm; Reply: 13
I voted to stay  even tho i said different earlier . Bit of a knee jerk reaction am afraid, but also in the clear light of day we cannot carry on as we are , so i think we should wait untill after the jan window to see how he goes on .If no better then yes he should go
Posted by: Tommy, November 21, 2020, 11:32pm; Reply: 14
It's a daft discussion to even be having IMO. The answer to having a bit of a bad run isn't always to just change the manager.

I suspect we have quite a low budget this season. There's also the Covid clauses we're putting in contracts which also can't help attracting players as I doubt all clubs are doing this. In addition to this, I'd hazard a (logical) guess that 3 players signed by Jolley would be amongst our top earners - Ohman, Green and Hanson - further limiting any wriggle-room in the budget. Especially when of those 3 players, one isn't first choice and is very hit and miss, one makes a difference to us but can't fit this season and the other is just nowhere near good enough.

There's the farcical situation where we allowed Vernam to leave for nothing in the summer and then the decision (I presume also at board level) to get everyone back for pre-season much later it seems than every other club. Was that done to save a few extra pennies leaving all the players and coaching staff on furlough for a bit longer? I can't imagine Holloway wanted to start pre-season so late and have so few pre-season games.

He got un-necessarily spiky with JT in his interview post-match today but aside from that he was honest about today, about where we are as a team, and in taking personal responsibility. I can't question is passion/desire to turn it around.

The recruitment has been mixed. But then it is for any Manager, even the very best at the highest level. And it usually takes several windows to keep tweaking and trying to improve or correct short-comings or disappointing signings. I've seen posts on other threads recently saying Hurst was great at spotting a player, but he brought some of the worst players I've ever seen too.

Holloway's a good Manager, is already going about making changes, and fully deserves to keep working and get us on the right track.
Posted by: lee65, November 21, 2020, 11:42pm; Reply: 15
83% “stay” so far
Posted by: thefish, November 22, 2020, 12:35am; Reply: 16
Holloway stay...

I’d have to think harder if it was about Fenty though...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 22, 2020, 12:55am; Reply: 17
Quoted from thefish
Holloway stay...

I’d have to think harder if it was about Fenty though...

I agree with your first line.

I wouldn’t have to think hard about the second though.
Posted by: toontown, November 22, 2020, 1:17am; Reply: 18
Voted stay.

But ffs some basic stuff needs sorting:
Stop playing Clifton as wing back and full back to accommodate bloody Taylor or Morton or whoever being in CM. We are poor in that area anyway and we desperately need his energy there.
We can't play in a way that requires Macca to be playing it with his feet, he really isn't up to it and this will cost us far more in siĺly goals given away (like today) than whatever slight advantage it is imagined it will give us. Either change how we play or bite the bullet and you have to change the keeper to one who can do that. No surprise that Macca is having his worst season in the football league as he is being asked to do what he can't and instead of being a strength he is an Achilles heel.
Some sort of consistency with formation please.
Scout opposition teams properly/management team to actually watch teams on videobefore the game, so that we are at least as well prepared as humberside radios co commentator in knowing what formation they play...
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 22, 2020, 1:38am; Reply: 19
Apart from his kicking which is very poor he is letting goals he would have saved last season.

He is having a shocking season.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 22, 2020, 1:49am; Reply: 20
He's got to have a chance to sort it.  Nobody else is going to want the job now.  Being mangerless will be a much worse scenario.
Posted by: DocDock, November 22, 2020, 8:11am; Reply: 21
At the moment, given I cannot think of any other better options and where we are in the season, he has to stay. But as others have said there’s always been one common denominator in our years of decline. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out who that is.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 22, 2020, 9:59am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mariner16

This .

Posted by: 28195 (Guest), November 22, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 23
About time we got rid of Boris
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 22, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 24
For the record, I am a hundred percent behind Ollie. But that doesn't mean he gets a free ride. People are saying its only 11 games in, it isn't. We're out of every cup competition as well, so it's 16 games in as we lost 4/5 cup games, drawing the other.

The pre season, if you can call it that was shameful. One game against Cleethorpes Town, the players were furloughed until the last minute to save money, I can understand why you'd do that, but don't moan about fitness levels and fitness stats when you choose to not bother with a pre season.
Last minute signings, seven loan signings is never good. We had no players one day then 2/3 signings every day almost as we kicked off. Dreadful preparation, then straight into Sat Tues Sat with no time to train and prepare. Then we're into a downward spiral, players lose confidence. All of this is forseeable given the lack of any pre season.

Signings? The aformentioned seven loans, mostly children. The punts on non league players, and proper non league, way down the pyramid. Miles away from the first team which would be fine in normal circumstances, but we've had to play them. Massive issue for me is the lack of investment in a proper striker, we really need two. I don't want to be unfair to the senior pros at the club, but we can't be too polite. Hanson is finished, we will not get enough games out of him and he will not be fully fit in the games he does play, Matt Green gives his all, I like him but he's 34 in January. He was signed on a two year deal from a club in the conference at the time. He wasn't playing at Salford, he was clearly on his way down. He's finished. We need to look at recruitement policies (Hanson 33 and similar).

Ollie needs love, he's an emotional bloke. I am fully in support of him, but he has to be questioned like any other manager would 15 games in, when we are conceding goals for fun and barely managing any shots on goal, never mind goals. Give Ollie time to rebuild, get behind him. No witch hunt, but we must be allowed to question him when things are clearly not right.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 22, 2020, 10:14am; Reply: 25
Quoted from grimsby pete
Apart from his kicking which is very poor he is letting goals he would have saved last season.

His confidence will be low. It really hits you as a keeper when things aren't going your way and mistakes creep in and you start to second guess yourself. He isn't suited to playing it from the back, he isn't that poor on the ball in all fairness, but it isn't ideal. I'd argue Waterfall doesn't want to be receiving it either when being pressed. I'm all for playing football the right way, but maybe in the final two thirds when one error doesn't lead to disaster.
Posted by: golfer, November 22, 2020, 10:49am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Boris Johnson

??

Holloway put it out there not me....Im sure plenty will be interested in the outcome.

And then he voted 96 times   :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 22, 2020, 11:18am; Reply: 27
Quoted from toontown
Voted stay.

But ffs some basic stuff needs sorting:
Stop playing Clifton as wing back and full back to accommodate bloody Taylor or Morton or whoever being in CM. We are poor in that area anyway and we desperately need his energy there.
We can't play in a way that requires Macca to be playing it with his feet, he really isn't up to it and this will cost us far more in siĺly goals given away (like today) than whatever slight advantage it is imagined it will give us. Either change how we play or bite the bullet and you have to change the keeper to one who can do that. No surprise that Macca is having his worst season in the football league as he is being asked to do what he can't and instead of being a strength he is an Achilles heel.
Some sort of consistency with formation please.
Scout opposition teams properly/management team to actually watch teams on videobefore the game, so that we are at least as well prepared as humberside radios co commentator in knowing what formation they play...

Agree with most of that. Slight quibble: I’d say half the problem with the Macca passing is the outfield players passing it back, putting him in difficult situations, or not being available for a simple pass in safe space. I shudder every time we are attacking and the players start passing it back and the opposition start to press us.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 22, 2020, 11:26am; Reply: 28
He should stay, drop playing out from the back, go 4-4-2 ideally with Max on the left and when he’s back Tilley on the right of mid field as defenders can’t deal with pace at this level and both Preston and Hendrie can overlap. We then get in behind and allow the strikers and attacking mid to get forward in the box and find space.

Get Gibson a partner (Windsor?) and give them a run in the side. Play a ball winner in mid field who has energy and stop making selection decisions like he did yesterday with Clifton.

Holloway is a good manager but just needs to adjust his ideas to the level he’s managing at.
Posted by: toontown, November 22, 2020, 11:45am; Reply: 29
Quoted from HertsGTFC
He should stay, drop playing out from the back, go 4-4-2 ideally with Max on the left and when he’s back Tilley on the right of mid field as defenders can’t deal with pace at this level and both Preston and Hendrie can overlap. We then get in behind and allow the strikers and attacking mid to get forward in the box and find space.

Get Gibson a partner (Windsor?) and give them a run in the side. Play a ball winner in mid field who has energy and stop making selection decisions like he did yesterday with Clifton.

Holloway is a good manager but just needs to adjust his ideas to the level he’s managing at.

I think a lot of that has merit butt would say Windsor and Edwards up front
Posted by: Bigdog, November 22, 2020, 11:56am; Reply: 30
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Preston has started to look terrified every time he steps on the pitch. We definitely need a left back..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 22, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Bigdog

Preston has started to look terrified every time he steps on the pitch. We definitely need a left back..

If my mid field had coughed up so much ball my confidence would be shot to sh1t, you’re right though we need an experienced left back and more credible defensive cover.
Posted by: rancido, November 22, 2020, 12:03pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from DocDock
At the moment, given I cannot think of any other better options and where we are in the season, he has to stay. But as others have said there’s always been one common denominator in our years of decline. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out who that is.

Totally agree - we must move from BP as soon as is financially possible! ;)
Posted by: fishcake63, November 22, 2020, 12:08pm; Reply: 33
ollie to sort it out in january he will trim squad to 20/21 players & get proper league two players , keep the faith we can't keep sacking managers
Posted by: rancido, November 22, 2020, 12:12pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from fishboyUTM

His confidence will be low. It really hits you as a keeper when things aren't going your way and mistakes creep in and you start to second guess yourself. He isn't suited to playing it from the back, he isn't that poor on the ball in all fairness, but it isn't ideal. I'd argue Waterfall doesn't want to be receiving it either when being pressed. I'm all for playing football the right way, but maybe in the final two thirds when one error doesn't lead to disaster.

Macca was good at non-league level and ok for a lower half league 2 team but we must have better if we aspire for promotion. IMO he has not improved in any area of his play since he joined us and I find that disturbing. It's almost like he can't learn from his mistakes , which this season have been many. It is said that he isn't suited to playing out from the back but surely that is just a judgement call. He should know by now who to and when to pass out and when to punt it forward.
Posted by: golfer, November 22, 2020, 12:58pm; Reply: 35
If I was Macca I wouldn't have confidence passing to any of our players especially Morton or Taylor
Posted by: gaz57, November 22, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings
Again Boris?

You never give up.

When was the last time Boris got anything right
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 22, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from toontown

I think a lot of that has merit butt would say Windsor and Edwards up front

No strength at all there with those two.

You need at least one of them to be able to hold the ball up. Think Woods (hold up) or Livvo and Mendonca, Gary Jones. Or more recently Bogle and Hannah. Neither of the two you mention can do that. In fact, we don't have anyone aside from the always injured Hanson who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. Means the ball doesn't stick up front and comes back at you. Matt Green can do half a job but his second touch is usually a tackle.

A new strong centre forward is key IMO and IH will know that.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 22, 2020, 2:42pm; Reply: 38
He's signed all these players so he should be given the chance to work with them because if anyone else comes in they will have to. That doesn't mean it was the right decision to sign them all in the first place. I'd rather have paid twice the money to half the number of players we've signed.
Posted by: toontown, November 22, 2020, 2:43pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from fishboyUTM

You need at least one of them to be able to hold the ball up. Think Woods (hold up) or Livvo and Mendonca, Gary Jones. Or more recently Bogle and Hannah. Neither of the two you mention can do that. In fact, we don't have anyone aside from the always injured Hanson who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. Means the ball doesn't stick up front and comes back at you. Matt Green can do half a job but his second touch is usually a tackle.

I don't disagree with those points or the need for a hold up striker who actually plays. But in the current absence of that I'd say Windsor and Edwards have a case as being our two best bets if we are playing two up top.

Posted by: GrimRob, November 22, 2020, 2:46pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from fishcake63
ollie to sort it out in january he will trim squad to 20/21 players & get proper league two players , keep the faith we can't keep sacking managers

Have we sacked that many? Scott was dismissed for gross misconduct, Hurst left for a new job, Jolley resigned. Bignot and Slade were sacked, but only Slade for poor results.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, November 22, 2020, 3:09pm; Reply: 41
Ollie must stay & sort this out. He has admitted his mistakes - already started by pruning the squad.
He's had a rough time since arriving at the Costa del Cleethorpes. Most would have had the stuffing knocked out of them by now but he remains positive. Give him time guys & stop this tiring & firing philosophy which will surely drag us even further down.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, November 22, 2020, 3:25pm; Reply: 42
Olly should stay. I am not sure what is going on but the season has been a real challenge with Covid infections infecting the club and matches coming thick and fast. It's been the same for others but we fell behind with the fixtures early on and pre-season was non existent. Everyone is desperate for some cheer. The club has had years of suffering and it weighs us all down. You wonder how much more you can take and the club needs a lift. OH is the man to do it.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 22, 2020, 3:33pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from grimsby pete

Absolutely,  one of the goals yesterday he dived with two hands.  Bad decision, one hadned saves give you far more reach.   I was gonna watch again but I can't bear it.  It looks awkward and desperate.

Posted by: Mayaman, November 22, 2020, 3:43pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from fishboyUTM

If we could break or move forward with any speed you wouldn't need a big lad to hold it up.  Where are the defence splitting through balls for one of these young lads to run onto.  Watch Crewe last year, their passing was awesome - fast and accurate.  

Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 22, 2020, 5:24pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Mayaman

If we could break or move forward with any speed you wouldn't need a big lad to hold it up.  Where are the defence splitting through balls for one of these young lads to run onto.  Watch Crewe last year, their passing was awesome - fast and accurate.  

Agreed, our delivery from wide areas has been woeful and I don't think I've seen a central midfielder pass the ball forwards all season long. We have problems all over the pitch. Central midfield is well up there as far as priorities go in my opinion. I do think we need a strong centre forward, you need one as a focal point in a 4-3-3 or variation of that with three up top and we don't have anyone at the club aside from the always injured Hanson who can really do that.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 22, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 46
People talking about getting a proven striker.

Where is the money coming from ?  

Because if  he is free or unattached he will not be an improvement on what we have got.I

Ollie needs a lot of luck in finding one.
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 22, 2020, 5:45pm; Reply: 47
Ollie to stay, how does our budget compare to the top 10 sides.

1. If it's not a top 10 budget then we are getting what we are paying for.

2. If it is a top 10 budget then ollie and the players need to fix it and fast.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 22, 2020, 5:49pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from grimsby pete
People talking about getting a proven striker.

Where is the money coming from ?  

Because if  he is free or unattached he will not be an improvement on what we have got.I

Ollie needs a lot of luck in finding one.

That's alright Pete there are dozens of players all wanting to play for him (allegedly) they'll probably just play for love
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), November 22, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 49
Hanson should he stay or should he go
Morton stay or go
Bennett stay or go
Sissay stay or go
Battersby stay or loan
Green stay or go

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 22, 2020, 5:55pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Bigdog

If Preston needs a rest we have two options, one, play young Hope but bringing a youngster into a losing side is always difficult, two, switch Hendrie to left back and play Hewitt right back. This adds experience to our defence and allows Clifton to go into midfield.

Scannell’s is the mystery to me, always looked decent for other clubs and was impressive in his first game v Morecombe, but appears to be an iffy character but get him playing with Hanson fit and young Edwards and maybe we will increase our threat going forward.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 22, 2020, 6:07pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from 140067
Hanson should he stay or should he go
Morton stay or go
Bennett stay or go
Sissay stay or go
Battersby stay or loan
Green stay or go

First four to go (plus Scannell) Battersby short term loan only and Green to stay

Posted by: promotion plaice, December 8, 2020, 8:57pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Right let's see how the land lies then.

Can we have best of three ?

Posted by: Gibson617, December 8, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 53
The word stay doesn't come in to it. The players seem to have lost their way.

Posted by: 140067 (Guest), December 9, 2020, 7:23pm; Reply: 54
Another ridiculous poll.
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 8:11pm