Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 21, 2020, 6:06pm

Anyone got a link yet? should be interesting.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 6:07pm; Reply: 1
IH got a bit spiky with JT and started to moan about Covid affecting his plans.

I wasn’t aware that we were the only team affected by the virus or is it that we use it as the latest in seventeen years worth of excuses to scrimp and save a few pennies?

I’m always drawn to the time when Mr Fenty offered advice to Lincoln City. Not exactly aged well, has it?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 21, 2020, 6:10pm; Reply: 2
Well we can't very well blame ITV digital anymore so we need a new drum to beat.
Posted by: LH, November 21, 2020, 6:11pm; Reply: 3
Covid is the 20s’ ITV digital.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 21, 2020, 6:11pm; Reply: 4
Don’t forget the Newts...they’re to blame as well.

Seriously, the Covid thing really can’t be the excuse anymore...
Posted by: davmariner, November 21, 2020, 6:12pm; Reply: 5
Holloway has lost the plot.
Posted by: BenBB, November 21, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 6
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08z5x1d
Posted by: BenBB, November 21, 2020, 6:14pm; Reply: 7
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08z5x1d

Link here for those who haven’t listened yet
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 21, 2020, 6:15pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from BenBB

Thanks   (thumbup)
Posted by: Croxton, November 21, 2020, 6:16pm; Reply: 9
IH fudged the furlough question. Ollie would not cope with a Dave Burns interview. Neither would I.

Did JT ask why we missed kick off? Possible fine?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 21, 2020, 6:17pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from davmariner
Holloway has lost the plot.

He never had it

Came with an old worn out reputation hoping his name would see him through with no idea whatsoever how to manage a team near the foot of Div 4 on the bones of its bottom financially but with a desire to create a 'legacy'.

intercourse knows what he meant but the legacy he is currently creating is very bad news for GTFC

Posted by: 28195 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 6:19pm; Reply: 11
Covid has been a leveler, the gaffer has managed 900+ games and in the current circumstances this counts for little. He needs supporters behind him, perhaps the players need this to spark a performance.

I’m sure he had big plans for us but life is a bumber now, with people dying and loved ones separated by pandemic rules.

The gaffer is a footy legend, let’s get through this together, Operation Survival - ❤️ GTFC

Role on Tuesday.
Posted by: gtfcmd, November 21, 2020, 6:19pm; Reply: 12
he starting to get a bit uneasy now snapping at john tondour whilst doing the interview
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 21, 2020, 6:20pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from aldi_01
Don’t forget the Newts...they’re to blame as well.

Seriously, the Covid thing really can’t be the excuse anymore...

It is a very valid excuse, surely? The board took the decision to put a covid clause in the contracts, and naturally there were very few takers. Presumably we were really tight on budget as well, because we did not know when fans would be back.

Other clubs things did things a bit differently and as it has turned out so far we made the wrong choices although I can understand the reasoning behind it - basically spend as little as possible in the hope of surviving financially and in the league.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 21, 2020, 6:20pm; Reply: 14
IH got spiky when JT said Covid was the same for every club. IH moaned about losing players in the summer due to Covid. Did we really have to? Because we've signed a shed load of inept players instead of using budget wisely to keep the qualities of Vernam, Hessenthaler, Clarke and Davis as the spine of a team. Three of those four are still playing in the same division as us. It stinks as much as the break up of the promotion team which Hurst cited as budgetary restraints back then too. History repeating itself again and again. The whole culture at the club has been wrong for so many years, Covid has given them a (false) excuse to be even more extreme than ever and I was wrong to think that an old experienced outspoken head like IH could shake things up a bit. But it appears he's spineless enough to whistle along to Fenty's tune..
Posted by: aldi_01, November 21, 2020, 6:21pm; Reply: 15
Is he football legend or is he bloke famous for ramblings and the odd funny analogy?

I mean he can have support by all means, I think the thousands that fans have thrown at the club in the last 6 months or so proves that but intercourse me, he and his players are currently abject at best...
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 6:22pm; Reply: 16
I like it.

Tondeur is horrifically negative. Any fan that only relies on his commentary will get a complete different picture of what is happening. About 5 mins in he was on gibsons back for being offside when it wasn’t even him!

And to answer tondeurs question that set Ollie off. No not every club had the same to deal with.

We played it ultra safe. And rightly so. Other clubs gambled with their budgets and clauses. And it looks like it’s going to pay off them. But no way would I want us to gamble out future for a better squad this season.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 21, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 17
Disappointed Ohman has gone, it's only a few weeks since Holloway was rating him highly
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 21, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Bigdog
IH got spiky when JT said Covid was the same for every club. IH moaned about losing players in the summer due to Covid. Did we really have to? Because we've signed a shed load of inept players instead of using budget wisely to keep the qualities of Vernam, Hessenthaler, Clarke and Davis as the spine of a team. Three of those four are still playing in the same division as us. It stinks. The whole culture at the club has been wrong for so many years, Covid has given them a (false) excuse to be even more extreme than ever and I was wrong to think that an old head like IH could shake things up a bit. But it appears he's spineless enough to whistle along to Fenty's tune..

Tbf losing Vernam was entirely Day’s fault for being totally flipping naive
Posted by: aldi_01, November 21, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 19
The ramblings of a mad man.

Make excuses all you like...this is flipping atrocious.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 21, 2020, 6:25pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from pontoonlew

Tbf losing Vernam was entirely Day’s fault for being totally flipping naive

Our bird being naive or clueless? Surely not?
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 6:25pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Bigdog
IH got spiky when JT said Covid was the same for every club. IH moaned about losing players in the summer due to Covid. Did we really have to? Because we've signed a shed load of inept players instead of using budget wisely to keep the qualities of Vernam, Hessenthaler, Clarke and Davis as the spine of a team. Three of those four are still playing in the same division as us. It stinks as much as the break up of the promotion team which Hurst cited as budgetary restraints back then too. History repeating itself again and again. The whole culture at the club has been wrong for so many years, Covid has given them a (false) excuse to be even more extreme than ever and I was wrong to think that an old head like IH could shake things up a bit. But it appears he's spineless enough to whistle along to Fenty's tune..

We had to let go the players Cos there was no guarantee when football would start up again. We signed new players when we knew the start of the season was actually happening.

This was good management of the clubs future. Even though it has effected us in the short term.
Posted by: Mikey_345, November 21, 2020, 6:25pm; Reply: 22
Don’t know what everyone expects. He’s obviously fuming like the rest of us about our performance. I personally was quite happy to hear abit of fire, obviously gives a excrement.

And let’s be honest re JT. He’s town through and through but he is horrendously negative and not that great at describing what’s actually happening. Now we watch the game as well that is clear to see. He was just waiting to have a go at Gibson for being offside to have a go and he did, problem was it was actually Williams.

All our managers have had a problem with RH, I doubt they are all wrong.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from 3610
I like it.

Tondeur is horrifically negative. Any fan that only relies on his commentary will get a complete different picture of what is happening. About 5 mins in he was on gibsons back for being offside when it wasn’t even him!

And to answer tondeurs question that set Ollie off. No not every club had the same to deal with.

We played it ultra safe. And rightly so. Other clubs gambled with their budgets and clauses. And it looks like it’s going to pay off them. But no way would I want us to gamble out future for a better squad this season.

Absolute tosh. We’ve turned a 143k profit and I’m sure, when the full accounts are available, the loan account will have gone down. If the board had half a brain, they would have been brave enough to expect a grant from somewhere. Instead, they stick in a Covid clause to put a barrier up to decent recruitment.
Ollie isn’t blameless on this. As a director, he could have stopped this happening.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, November 21, 2020, 6:30pm; Reply: 24
Holloway is a bullshitter.

Same old lame excuses week after week like a broken flipping record.

Come clean. Your phone wasnt full of messages from players and agents desperate to play for you at GTFC like you made out.

Youve brought in a shedload of players. Quantity over quality Most dont appear good enough. Loads of unproven youngsters plucked from U23 football where no-one puts a tackle in and they prance about dreaming about the Premier League. Totally unprepared to play against blokes in L2.

flipping Covid. copulated everyones plans Holloway so flipping get over it and stop the pathetic excuses. Actually do some frigging coaching on the training pitch work out what they are capable of and get them to actually look like they know what they are flipping doing.

Today was a disgrace agaisnt a very ordinary team. Yet another in a string of shocking performances that are uninspiring.

Thank god for Covid that i dont have to see this crap in person and I can simply turn it off.
Posted by: davmariner, November 21, 2020, 6:33pm; Reply: 25
It’s the scout’s fault...
Posted by: Bigdog, November 21, 2020, 6:34pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 3610

We had to let go the players Cos there was no guarantee when football would start up again. We signed new players when we knew the start of the season was actually happening.

This was good management of the clubs future. Even though it has effected us in the short term.

Wrong. The club should have allocated some money to keep some semblance of quality to ensure that when football started again we didn't risk losing the interest and income from the fans and the danger of losing 1.5 mill pa by dropping out of the league again. Other clubs did and took the gamble that everyone would be in the same boat if things got worse and a bail out would appear. We'll get a bail out and the clubs that didn't let go of their prized assets will have got their calculated gamble right. We didn't full stop. Just look at the league table. I'm staggered that so many are still sucked into the Fenty handbook of how to run a football club..
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 21, 2020, 6:35pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Ipswin
Disappointed Ohman has gone, it's only a few weeks since Holloway was rating him highly

I wouldnt like to be in Hanson's shoes then. Ollie was big-upping him this week.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 21, 2020, 6:36pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from davmariner
It’s the scout’s fault...

That's a new one He'll probably use that for a week or two

Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 21, 2020, 6:40pm; Reply: 29
Yeah I think he was deflecting. Shame he had a pop about Jolley’s departure. His rant was clearly used as an excuse for the club to get rid of him rather than a moral response to the way he treated the media.

Fwiw I think Holloway will turn us round, the club haven’t dealt well with Covid but I’m not sure how much of that is Fenty’s influence. copulated about with renewing contracts, too late off furlough, no pre season games and paying peanuts for any players we could get. Apologies if it’s not his influence,  but it has all the hallmarks of classic Fenty penny pinching. Save a penny today that’ll cost you a pound next week. I think we’d have been really strong had Covid not happened.
At the minute it looks a bit like the Mike Newell squad but I think we will really improve in Jan.  
Posted by: BenBB, November 21, 2020, 6:44pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Absolute tosh. We’ve turned a 143k profit and I’m sure, when the full accounts are available, the loan account will have gone down. If the board had half a brain, they would have been brave enough to expect a grant from somewhere. Instead, they stick in a Covid clause to put a barrier up to decent recruitment.
Ollie isn’t blameless on this. As a director, he could have stopped this happening.

Turned a profit but can't win games.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 21, 2020, 6:45pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Yeah I think he was deflecting. Shame he had a pop about Jolley’s departure. His rant was clearly used as an excuse for the club to get rid of him rather than a moral response to the way he treated the media.

Fwiw I think Holloway will turn us round, the club haven’t dealt well with Covid but I’m not sure how much of that is Fenty’s influence. copulated about with renewing contracts, too late off furlough, no pre season games and paying peanuts for any players we could get. Apologies if it’s not his influence,  but it has all the hallmarks of classic Fenty penny pinching. Save a penny today that’ll cost you a pound next week. I think we’d have been really strong had Covid not happened.
At the minute it looks a bit like the Mike Newell squad but I think we will really improve in Jan.  

Agreed with the fact Holloway will turn it around, we’ve seen what he’s capable of from last season. I do accept that Covid can’t have made things easy. However what I do not accept is using that as an excuse, it’s been the same for every person in the world.

Holloway has shockingly underestimated the standard of the division but I do not doubt for one second that he’s spotted his mistakes quickly.
Posted by: TAGG, November 21, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 32
The biggest problem Town have now is we have two blokes with massive egos running the club.
Fenty in the background who's political ambition far outways any ambition he has for the club.
The on field bloke is a raving self publicist who believes his own bullshit and its all about him.
Posted by: TAGG, November 21, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 33
The biggest problem Town have now is we have two blokes with massive egos running the club.
Fenty in the background who's political ambition far outways any ambition he has for the club.
The on field bloke is a raving self publicist who believes his own bullshit and its all about him.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 6:49pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from TAGG

I agreed with you first time 😜
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 21, 2020, 6:52pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If he hasnt provided the funding yet to purchase his 100k of shares then can he actually be a Director?

Posted by: 140067 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 6:58pm; Reply: 36
[quote=54]

He never had it

Came with an old worn out reputation hoping his name would see him through with no idea whatsoever how to manage a team near the foot of Div 4 on the bones of its bottom financially but with a desire to create a 'legacy'.

intercourse knows what he meant but the legacy he is currently creating is very bad news for GTFC

You're still a nasty spiteful old man

Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 7:05pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You think it’s tosh cos the board weren’t ‘brave’ enough to gamble on the hope of a bailout anywhere. Get a grip. We were excrement today. Proper excrement. But no way would I ever want a board gamble or be brave in the hope of a BAILOUT to survive. For me..... that is the worse type of board we could ever wish for.

Posted by: Ipswin, November 21, 2020, 7:06pm; Reply: 38

If he hasnt provided the funding yet to purchase his 100k of shares then can he actually be a Director?

First of all I don't believe he ever was and if he was he will have changed his mind now if he's got any sense (mind you listening to his ramblings I doubt that too most of the time)

Nice bloke and all that but that's as far as it goes As Grimsby Town manager is concerned he isn't going to cut it.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 21, 2020, 7:13pm; Reply: 39
The Covid excuse is just BS. OK we played it safe with the Covid clause whilst others took a risk. But Holloway was party to that decision. They chose wrong (hindsight view) but suck it up pal and accept it. We could have gone for a smaller squad with more quality with no Covid clause.

And there was no excuse for not having a pre-season.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 21, 2020, 7:15pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from 28195
Covid has been a leveler, the gaffer has managed 900+ games and in the current circumstances this counts for little. He needs supporters behind him, perhaps the players need this to spark a performance.

I’m sure he had big plans for us but life is a bumber now, with people dying and loved ones separated by pandemic rules.

The gaffer is a footy legend, let’s get through this together, Operation Survival - ❤️ GTFC

Role on Tuesday.

Which role are you going for? Good luck with it anyway.

I've got bad news by the way. Covid is affecting the whole world not just Grimsby Town FC.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 21, 2020, 7:19pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from 140067
[quote=54]

He never had it

You're still a nasty spiteful old man

Maybe, but a truthful one

Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 7:22pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from 3610

You think it’s tosh cos the board weren’t ‘brave’ enough to gamble on the hope of a bailout anywhere. Get a grip. We were excrement today. Proper excrement. But no way would I ever want a board gamble or be brave in the hope of a BAILOUT to survive. For me..... that is the worse type of board we could ever wish for.

You’re totally naive if you think there was never going to be money filtered down from the Prem. It was never going to be a gamble as the country wouldn’t let dozens of clubs go pop. The board showed, not for the first time, a total lack of foresight.
Posted by: toontown, November 21, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 43
Very touchy from Ollie over JT asking some perfectly valid questions, obvious ones like covid having happened to everybody else not just us. Which demonstrates he knows he is on a sticky wicket and we have mishandled it.

Really worrying was he said Tranmere played in a completely different way to what he'd been told by his scout "they went and played in a diamond". Well bolland at the beginning of the commentary said that Tranmere played a diamond last game and it went really well. If we are getting fundamental scouting stuff wrong that casual viewers can see that is very concerning indeed. Anyway surely all games are videoed and we should have been able to see It?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 21, 2020, 7:36pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You’re totally naive if you think there was never going to be money filtered down from the Prem. It was never going to be a gamble as the country wouldn’t let dozens of clubs go pop. The board showed, not for the first time, a total lack of foresight.

Yes in the end they would be pushed into it ...... but how much and when and what strings? The PL prattling about with pay for view is a good indication that the clubs intend to screw every single penny they can from any source and intend to use other people’s troubles to feed their own ambitions. I have no time for the PL.

That doesn’t mean the Town board is blameless, just very conservative in dealing with money.

Posted by: GrimRob, November 21, 2020, 7:38pm; Reply: 45
Totally out of his depth and he doesn't have the BP crowd to put up with. The main stand behind him gives him much worse stick than JT.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 21, 2020, 7:38pm; Reply: 46
It was also interesting that Paul Bolland said in the build up that he’d seen Tranmere a couple of times recently and they play a diamond in the middle. Ollie said that we didn’t know this as he’d been told they play a different way, not sure he should be sharing that incompetence on the airwaves.
Posted by: TAGG, November 21, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I agreed with you first time 😜

Cheers mate  :)
Posted by: ska face, November 21, 2020, 7:47pm; Reply: 48
Seems to me like there’s someone at BP with an axe to grind against Humberside who’s been dripping poison in managers’ ears for years. Slade infamously attacked Matt Dean at the fans’ forum, Jolley lost his marbles and now Holloway thinks he’s justified in talking to JT (a fan) like something he scraped off his shoe for not swallowing his latest line of bullsh1t.

Christ knows what they’d be like if they got some actual criticism - I remember listening to Burns absolutely smoking Grant McCann and some Hull players last year, I almost felt bad for them!

Humberside are there to report objectively, not act as the club’s propaganda station. They can’t help it if they have to say the team are shyte when they’ve just been leathered 5-0!
Posted by: davmariner, November 21, 2020, 7:50pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from ska face
Seems to me like there’s someone at BP with an axe to grind against Humberside who’s been dripping poison in managers’ ears for years. Slade infamously attacked Matt Dean at the fans’ forum, Jolley lost his marbles and now Holloway thinks he’s justified in talking to JT (a fan) like something he scraped off his shoe for not swallowing his latest line of bullsh1t.

Christ knows what they’d be like if they got some actual criticism - I remember listening to Burns absolutely smoking Grant McCann and some Hull players last year, I almost felt bad for them!

Humberside are there to report objectively, not act as the club’s propaganda station. They can’t help it if they have to say the team are shyte when they’ve just been leathered 5-0!

This
Posted by: toontown, November 21, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from headingly_mariner
It was also interesting that Paul Bolland said in the build up that he’d seen Tranmere a couple of times recently and they play a diamond in the middle. Ollie said that we didn’t know this as he’d been told they play a different way, not sure he should be sharing that incompetence on the airwaves.

Well no doubt he had no idea that humbersides co commentator had inadvertently shown up towns embarrassing lack of prep by making an early comment on his observations of having seen Tranmere before.

Saying that stuff is embarrassing is over used but that interview comment is undoubtedly so.
Posted by: oochiad, November 21, 2020, 8:03pm; Reply: 51
JT does not report objectively anymore. He can't generally see who's on the fecking ball anymore and is way to negative. The whole things pissing me off at the moment, I dread saturdays and tuesdays but still pay up and tune in, I still think IH will come good.The covid clause is the problem here and so its not a great situation as we've ended up suffering because of it, so for JT to say every club is in the same boat is clearly wrong, in Ollie's defence. Anyway roll on tuesday......UTM!
Posted by: ginnywings, November 21, 2020, 8:08pm; Reply: 52
Why are people having a go at JT? He's asking the questions the fans want answers to, which is his job. Totally valid point regarding covid being the same problem for all.

Poor from IH. Let Burnsey loose on him.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 21, 2020, 8:18pm; Reply: 53
well......that was a pretty sh!tty response to what could be seen as a pretty reasonable point made by JT.

He is obviously feeling the pressure and rightly so in all fairness on recent form and that shambles today.

Standing back from the emotion it seems a bit odd that for someone who places alot of value on "player confidence" that he spent the last week destroying it in his press work ,  slagged the performance at Hull, announced the squad isnt good enough and there will be a cull....hardly confidence building stuff.

"Our scout told me".......well....either sack your fcking your scout as he doesnt know his @rse from his elbow or just consider that they may also have a scout who watched us and told their manager exactly where we are weak and exploited it nicely.

Ohman gone and so has Mohsni ....thanks for putting your head in Ludwig and thanks for nothing Mohsni but in reality thats two players out that we wont really miss at all.  Also interesting that Ollie tried to swerve the "is it true you are putting players on furlough" question with a fuddled answer......again not exactly going to be making it a happy ship is it ?

Take the result out of the equation ....which is hard to segregate .....but i am definately concerned about just what is going on as it really seems we are in turmoil behind the scenes.

Posted by: moosey_club, November 21, 2020, 8:21pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from oochiad
JT does not report objectively anymore. He can't generally see who's on the fecking ball anymore and is way to negative. The whole things pissing me off at the moment, I dread saturdays and tuesdays but still pay up and tune in, I still think IH will come good.The covid clause is the problem here and so its not a great situation as we've ended up suffering because of it, so for JT to say every club is in the same boat is clearly wrong, in Ollie's defence. Anyway roll on tuesday......UTM!

If you are on i follow just click the other commentary button and listen to the oppositions version of the game.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, November 21, 2020, 8:25pm; Reply: 55
Keep hearing IH say how well the club is being run.. certainly doesn't look it..
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 21, 2020, 8:34pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Keep hearing IH say how well the club is being run.. certainly doesn't look it..

The words "p1ss up" and "brewery" spring to mind.

Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 6:08pm