Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Yoda, November 21, 2020, 4:49pm
If we go bankrupt we can get rid of fenty and start again.
End this never ending misery we can start lower down the leagues get rid of all this deadwood and start with some positivity as a fans run club.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 21, 2020, 4:52pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Yoda
End this never ending misery we can start lower down the leagues get rid of all this deadwood and start with some positivity as a fans run club.

Tw@t!!
Posted by: CodHead, November 21, 2020, 4:52pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Yoda

urine off we are all annoyed don't wish for things like that
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 3
As much as I want to see the club change ownership, that’s a bloody stupid thing to say.
Posted by: Yoda, November 21, 2020, 4:56pm; Reply: 4
So your happy with this never ending fenty managed slow death.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 21, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 5
Even that performance isn’t as bad as this ridiculous opinion
Posted by: Yoda, November 21, 2020, 5:00pm; Reply: 6
Well still be here in 2040 waiting for football fortune.
Posted by: CodHead, November 21, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Yoda

Fenty isn't our chairman anymore
Pipe Down
Posted by: Stadium, November 21, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Yoda

Interesting idea but you know the club will probably fail to exist anymore??
Except in your little mind......
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 21, 2020, 5:05pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Yoda

What a c.unt you are
Posted by: Ruston AT, November 21, 2020, 5:06pm; Reply: 10
A new ground? Lets start with a team that win games.
Posted by: Yoda, November 21, 2020, 5:10pm; Reply: 11
All the fenty happy clappers posting i see.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 21, 2020, 5:12pm; Reply: 12
I want fenty out. But id never wish for us to go bankrupt. Obscene thing to say
Posted by: realist, November 21, 2020, 5:22pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Hagrid
I want fenty out. But id never wish for us to go bankrupt. Obscene thing to say

Why? Most of those that have gone into administration have come out stronger with no debt. We definitely missed out by not doing it.
Posted by: MNH1972, November 21, 2020, 5:25pm; Reply: 14
Time to get real GTFC Fans. Fenty is still pulling the strings and we all know with him at the top we will bumble along , offering no excitement to the fans who spend their hard earned cash. I dream the day that man leaves our club, the problem is, he doesn’t want to
Posted by: Yoda, November 21, 2020, 5:36pm; Reply: 15
Hull been bankrupt Rotherham, Leicester to name a few fenty is keeping us on life support in the desperate hope of getting his money back.
Posted by: Yoda, November 21, 2020, 5:45pm; Reply: 16
The truth hurts
Posted by: TAGG, November 21, 2020, 6:02pm; Reply: 17
If we get relagated which is looking likely than that may not be a bad thing if it get rid of the dross who run the club.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 21, 2020, 6:10pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Yoda

What I would like is for Fenty to sever all connections to the club, with an agreement the club will pay him back at x amount per annum.

The bloke is a complete drain on GTFC, and all our problems stem from his leadership. It has got to the stage where it is almost a curse on the club. If he said he was leaving it would be a massive shot in the arm and allow interested parties (if they are out there) to have another look.

The one thing that has always troubled me is how Holloway speaks about him in such glowing terms, when the only thing he seems good at is saving money. Not a bad trait as far as it goes, but it seems very odd of Ollie not to see what most of us can see.

I always felt this was our last shot of the dice; the highest-profile manager we have had in decades, with talk of a legacy and investing in the club. The covid contracts has killed us; only Ollie knows but I doubt any of the signed players were at the top of his list. If this goes belly up I don't know what we can try next. If we did fall out the league again I reckon that would be that.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 6:23pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Yoda

You are a complete and utter idiot. Fade away you must.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 21, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 20

What I would like is for Fenty to sever all connections to the club, with an agreement the club will pay him back at x amount per annum.

The bloke is a complete drain on GTFC, and all our problems stem from his leadership. It has got to the stage where it is almost a curse on the club. If he said he was leaving it would be a massive shot in the arm and allow interested parties (if they are out there) to have another look.

The one thing that has always troubled me is how Holloway speaks about him in such glowing terms, when the only thing he seems good at is saving money. Not a bad trait as far as it goes, but it seems very odd of Ollie not to see what most of us can see.

I always felt this was our last shot of the dice; the highest-profile manager we have had in decades, with talk of a legacy and investing in the club. The covid contracts has killed us; only Ollie knows but I doubt any of the signed players were at the top of his list. If this goes belly up I don't know what we can try next. If we did fall out the league again I reckon that would be that.

I just wish someone would tell me where the funds necessary to take the club onwards and upwards is going to come from I know Fenty isn't going to put any more money in, after all there are a good many who would complain if he did. The only option therefore is to take a chance on some fornicator daft enough or crafy enough to offer to buy the club who may be totally unsuitable (like so many clubs who regret selling) and we will be out of business in a year. At least the current regime does have the safety (if not future) of the club at heart I know which I prefer.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 21, 2020, 6:45pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Ipswin

I just wish someone would tell me where the funds necessary to take the club onwards and upwards is going to come from I know Fenty isn't going to put any more money in, after all there are a good many who would complain if he did. The only option therefore is to take a chance on some fornicator daft enough or crafy enough to offer to buy the club who may be totally unsuitable (like so many clubs who regret selling) and we will be out of business in a year. At least the current regime does have the safety (if not future) of the club at heart I know which I prefer.

I don't think it would take a great deal of money. The fans provide most of it anyway, and Fenty spends it and has total control; he runs the club shockingly, apart from being good at saving money. He is an anchor holding the club back due to his management and operational style and his loans. We cannot get rid of the loans straight away, but if he had the good grace to walk away and let us pay him back over time it would be like a new start. Whilst he remains at the helm, we are, so to speak, buggered.

I am sure he has the clubs best interests at heart, but it just has not worked and we need a different outlook.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 21, 2020, 6:51pm; Reply: 22

I don't think it would take a great deal of money. The fans provide most of it anyway, and Fenty spends it and has total control; he runs the club shockingly, apart from being good at saving money. He is an anchor holding the club back due to his management and operational style and his loans. We cannot get rid of the loans straight away, but if he had the good grace to walk away and let us pay him back over time it would be like a new start. Whilst he remains at the helm, we are, so to speak, buggered.

I am sure he has the clubs best interests at heart, but it just has not worked and we need a different outlook.

I get the bit about paying him back at ten bob a week or a pound if we get into Europe but who is not only going the buy the club (without Fenty's outstanding loan getting in the way) AND THEN put the money in that is needed to take it on from its long term doldrums?
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 21, 2020, 6:57pm; Reply: 23
I do hope people are not going to say Fenty saved us from administration,all he did was to protect his own assets,had we gone into administration he would had been the major loser.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), November 22, 2020, 1:31pm; Reply: 24
Christ, thinking bankruptcy or administration is a good idea. We are going through the most difficult time I've ever experienced in my lifetime. People are losing their lives, their livelihood and jobs. I don't get why anyone would think or expect someone to take constant abuse and then walk away from a considerable loan. When a club is taken over usually the major share holder gets bought out and other share holders get paid the same rate. I don't see any one in the queue to buy the club.
Bankruptcy or administration means no club.
Bury
Darlington
Macclesfield
Hereford
Halifax
Bradford Park Avenue.
Maidstone
Chester
To name a few.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 22, 2020, 2:58pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from 140067
Christ, thinking bankruptcy or administration is a good idea. We are going through the most difficult time I've ever experienced in my lifetime. People are losing their lives, their livelihood and jobs. I don't get why anyone would think or expect someone to take constant abuse and then walk away from a considerable loan. When a club is taken over usually the major share holder gets bought out and other share holders get paid the same rate. I don't see any one in the queue to buy the club.
Bankruptcy or administration means no club.
Bury
Darlington
Macclesfield
Hereford
Halifax
Bradford Park Avenue.
Maidstone
Chester
To name a few.

I don't advocate CVA or administration for GTFC, nor do we need to, but for the sake of balance here's the comprehensive list of at that time Football League clubs with CVAs or entered administration which have resulted in varying degrees of doom and failure or rebirth and success. If there was the will, there are many ways and means to make GTFC a more attractive takeover or investment proposition, CVA, bankruptcy or administration aren't any of them..

Bradford City 1983      
Charlton Athletic1984
Middlesbrough1986      
Tranmere Rovers 1987
Newport County 1989
Walsall 1990
Northampton Town 1992
Aldershot 1992
Maidstone United 1992
Hartlepool United 1994
Barnet 1994
Exeter City 1994
Gillingham 1995
Doncaster Rovers 1997
Millwall 1997
Bournemouth 1997
Crystal Palace 1998
Chester City 1998
Portsmouth 1998
Hull City 2001
Queens Park Rangers 2001
Halifax Town 2002
Bradford City 2002
Notts County 2002
Barnsley 2002
Leicester City 2002
Port Vale 2002
York City 2002
Derby County 2003
Ipswich Town 2003
Wimbledon 2003
Darlington 2003
Bradford City 2004
Wrexham 2004
Cambridge United 2005
Rotherham United 2006
Crawley Town 2006
Boston United 2007
Leeds United 2007
Luton Town 2007
Bournemouth 2008
Rotherham United 2008
Darlington 2009
Southampton 2009
Stockport County 2009
Crystal Palace 2010
Portsmouth 2010
Plymouth Argyle 2011
Portsmouth 2012
Port Vale 2012
Coventry City 2013
Bolton Wanderers 2019
Bury 2019
Wigan Athletic 2020
Posted by: aldi_01, November 22, 2020, 3:02pm; Reply: 26
So bankruptcy/CVA/Administration or whatever doesn’t actually mean the end of the club...as so many claim.

People bring up examples of bury or Macclesfield but that was way more than just a few footballing debts.

If Fenty had the interests of the club at heart he’d step aside/away, he’d have taken Shutes offer and just disappeared in to the distance. Sadly, I think he quite likes the apparent fame/status that comes with owning a football club.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 22, 2020, 3:06pm; Reply: 27
He owns GTFC and unfortunately he can do what he wants.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, November 22, 2020, 3:10pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Yoda

What a stupid post.

Wouldn't wish any club going bankrupt and having to restart again.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, November 22, 2020, 3:22pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Bigdog

I don't advocate CVA or administration for GTFC, but to avoid making false statements to try and prove a point, here's the comprehensive list of at that time Football League clubs with CVAs or entering administration which have resulted in varying degrees of doom and failure or rebirth and success..

Bradford City 1983      
Charlton Athletic1984
Middlesbrough1986      
Tranmere Rovers 1987
Newport County 1989
Walsall 1990
Northampton Town 1992
Aldershot 1992
Maidstone United 1992
Hartlepool United 1994
Barnet 1994
Exeter City 1994
Gillingham 1995
Doncaster Rovers 1997
Millwall 1997
Bournemouth 1997
Crystal Palace 1998
Chester City 1998
Portsmouth 1998
Hull City 2001
Queens Park Rangers 2001
Halifax Town 2002
Bradford City 2002
Notts County 2002
Barnsley 2002
Leicester City 2002
Port Vale 2002
York City 2002
Derby County 2003
Ipswich Town 2003
Wimbledon 2003
Darlington 2003
Bradford City 2004
Wrexham 2004
Cambridge United 2005
Rotherham United 2006
Crawley Town 2006
Boston United 2007
Leeds United 2007
Luton Town 2007
Bournemouth 2008
Rotherham United 2008
Darlington 2009
Southampton 2009
Stockport County 2009
Crystal Palace 2010
Portsmouth 2010
Plymouth Argyle 2011
Portsmouth 2012
Port Vale 2012
Coventry City 2013
Bolton Wanderers 2019
Bury 2019
Wigan Athletic 2020

Its ok giving a big list of clubs that have survived but the vast majority of these where when the rules where a lot more lenient to clubs that did go bust, At most they got point deductions at the time of declaring  so most clubs waited to they where safe then went bust so they stayed in the same league,
Being thrown out the FL to possibly Conference north at best is a prospect I would not wish on any club but especially not the one I love.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 22, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Its ok giving a big list of clubs that have survived but the vast majority of these where when the rules where a lot more lenient to clubs that did go bust, At most they got point deductions at the time of declaring  so most clubs waited to they where safe then went bust so they stayed in the same league,
Being thrown out the FL to possibly Conference north at best is a prospect I would not wish on any club but especially not the one I love.

That's scaremongering Rob. Hasn't happened to Bolton or Wigan the most recent ones or anyone in history. Bury was a monster all of its own with very much unique and different problems. As I said, I don't advocate CVAs, administration etc  but what I do hate is that in our recent history some people are far too quick to compare us to the scrapings at the bottom of the barrel trying to cling onto a falsely perceived measurement of success rather than aiming or comparing us to just that little bit higher. I'm in the aspirational camp but not that greedy.. Donny Rovers would do..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 22, 2020, 4:59pm; Reply: 31
Any club that went into administration now would find it hard to recover with no gate income to forecast against.
Posted by: OneLove, November 22, 2020, 5:19pm; Reply: 32
lets face it we basically run the club anyway, look how much funds we have raised over the years when the clubs been in need, and again this season to find out we actually came out in profit from last season. Does anyone recall the head honcho asking fans to help pay the tax bill years ago? He's dragged the club from a championship club to non league, gone thru manager after manager. And fans are happy with this, not for me ta. You'll see more fans come back to watch town when he goes as well.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), November 22, 2020, 5:19pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Any club that went into administration now would find it hard to recover with no gate income to forecast against.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.
Posted by: A.l.f., November 22, 2020, 5:44pm; Reply: 34
Do some people not realise what going bankrupt means?
Lots of local companies will not get paid, staff lose out and it creates a lot of bad feeling.
Several key suppliers of products & Services would probably not want to deal with the new company and not continue to support the club with sponsorship and advertising.
Be very careful if anyone is wishing that!
Posted by: Stadium, November 22, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from A.l.f.
Lots of local companies will not get paid, staff lose out and it creates a lot of bad feeling.
Several key suppliers of products & Services would probably not want to deal with the new company and not continue to support the club with sponsorship and advertising.

That's silly,explaining what actually happens in the real world.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from CodHead

Fenty isn't our chairman anymore
Pipe Down

He hasn't been our chairman for some time.

He is the major shareholder.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 22, 2020, 7:38pm; Reply: 37

Quoted from Stadium

That's silly,explaining what actually happens in the real world.

In the real world well over 95% of football club administration debt is owed in taxes, commercial lending, outstanding transfer fees owed, players' contracts and directors loans. A minute amount is owed to local companies who would be stupid to give credit terms to a company they know is in trouble anyway. And most would write off the best part of 30-60 day invoices to continue trading with a better funded more stable new entity. Not that I ever advocate administration anyway. Just hate urban myths being built up to be the gospel.truth...
Posted by: ginnywings, November 22, 2020, 7:45pm; Reply: 38
Bankruptcy?

Well, we've tried everything e!se.  ::)
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 22, 2020, 7:46pm; Reply: 39
Mr Fenty makes me think of Mr Putin in Russia, he decides which position he wants to occupy but is always completely in charge and decides everything even if someone else has a better sounding job title.
Posted by: Stadium, November 22, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Bigdog

In the real world well over 95% of football club administration debt is owed in taxes, commercial lending, outstanding transfer fees owed, players' contracts and directors loans. A minute amount is owed to local companies who would be stupid to give credit terms to a company they know is in trouble anyway. And most would write off the best part of 30-60 day invoices to continue trading with a better funded more stable new entity. Not that I ever advocate administration anyway. Just hate urban myths being built up to be the gospel.truth...

So a genuine question.
What would happen to the staff??
Posted by: Bigdog, November 22, 2020, 8:00pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Stadium

So a genuine question.

After a CVA or administration they would be more likely to be paid because the club would have less debt and be more solvent than previously..

eg Say if GTFC could write off 90% of their debts because they had run out of money. Would owing JF 150k instead of 1.5m make it more likely to be solvent and able to meet its commitments in the future? Crude example but an example nonetheless. In football a CVA or administration also quite often follows with pre-planned fresh investment from more often than not new owners due to being more debt-free and a more attractive investment proposition....
Posted by: Stadium, November 22, 2020, 8:01pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Bigdog

After a CVA or administration they would be more likely to be paid because the club would have less debt and be more solvent than previously..

So keep their positions or made redundant?
Posted by: Bigdog, November 22, 2020, 8:11pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Stadium

So keep their positions or made redundant?

Depends on the circumstances. If a club is deeply in debt and not paying bills inc wages a CVA or administration is a better bet to save jobs. Jobs are already gone if there's so much debt that wages can't be paid I guess..

A club has to prove insolvency to go into a CVA or administration, it can't just choose to in order to save money..
Posted by: Stadium, November 22, 2020, 8:12pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Bigdog

Depends on the circumstances. If a club is deeply in debt and not paying bills inc wages a CVA or administration is a better bet to save jobs. Jobs are already gone if there's so much debt that wages can't be paid I guess..

Thanks.
Some people may "dream" of this but can't really see it occuring.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 22, 2020, 8:25pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Stadium

Thanks.
Some people may "dream" of this but can't really see it occuring.

Me neither, unless we don't receive a bail out of some kind in the near future..
Posted by: carrot top, November 22, 2020, 9:13pm; Reply: 46
Stupid thread
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 23, 2020, 10:20am; Reply: 47
More chance of us winning the Champions League than going into administration.

As others have pointed out, our debts (benign or not) are to Fenty.  He's the only person who could realistically force us into administration, by doing so more than likely lose out financially as he'll get less back than he believes he's owed.

It's absolutely crap but there's only four ways we'll get rid of Fenty:

1) Continue with the drip feed approach to paying him off at circa. £200k a year, which means (providing next season is a return to normality and we're still in the FL), have the debts paid off to him in about 6/7 years time?  Then someone will be required to buy his shares.

2) Come into some footballing fortune.  Most beneficial would be nice FA Cup run that includes an away day at Old Trafford.  Pretty much guaranteed share of the gate of 70,000+, TV money + merchandise sales.  No idea on the figures now but when Exeter did this a decade or so again they netted £1million minimum.  If this happened I'd happily see that amount go straight towards paying some of those loans off.  Other ways are player sales.  At the minute our biggest likely asset is Pollock but not sure we'll stand to pocket much at all, as with Dembele I suspect any real value would come in sell-ons.  The Dembele sell-on could be our next windfall, again happily see that go towards paying Fenty off.  As with point 1, still requires him to want to sell his shares and someone willing to buy them.

3) He writes off his debts and gifts his shares to someone like the Trust.   Unlikely.

4) An individual or consortium wants to take over.  I think we know how this would go....

It absolutely pains me to say it but I can't see anyway of getting rid of Fenty with the current approach.  None of the 4 options above are likely to work because I simply don't think he wants to let go of the club.  Our only potential saving grace may come in the form of his own personal ambitions politically.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he has eyes on the Cleethorpes MP ticket, Martin Vickers is 70 and potentially could be 74 at the time of the next general election.  Would he have the appetite to be MP until he's nearly 80?  If he stepped down and Fenty was the man chosen, I wonder if that would be the thing that makes him hand the reigns over.

For us as fans, the only real way he can influence the decision is simply to not give the club any money.   Without our money he doesn't get his money back, the value of the club (including his loans) absolutely plummets and he's left holding the leaky can that no-one else wants.   How many of us are willing to turn our back on the club?  I know I'd definitely struggle to do so.
Posted by: rancido, November 23, 2020, 10:52am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Yoda
Hull been bankrupt Rotherham, Leicester to name a few fenty is keeping us on life support in the desperate hope of getting his money back.

I would imagine that for every club that has gone into administration and flourished there is an equivalent in non-league who hasn't.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 23, 2020, 11:41am; Reply: 49
Quoted from rancido

I would imagine that for every club that has gone into administration and flourished there is an equivalent in non-league who hasn't.

38 still in the league, 14 non league. While as it stands today, without a guarantee of a bail out and fans not able to return for the forseeable, we're at the closest point to going out of business at any point since the ITV Digital collapse. Most probably the bail out will come and some kind of vaccine will enable fans to return next season and we'll survive and hopefully have a place in the EFL not non-league again. So all this talk of bankruptcy, administration etc is a bit of a moot point when it comes to GTFC. The underlying feeling though is that once this is all over we can't just carry on as normal like before. The mediocrity on the pitch and the lack of progression off the pitch has gone on for far too long now. It's killing the club and punishing the ever shrinking lifeblood of the club, the fans. After their doggedly loyal, staunch and financial support towards such a poor record on the pitch for 20 years in mid 20th century surroundings, they deserve better. A radical change has got to happen soon, it's just got to, it's just not working out for anyone how things are. Maybe the sale of Pollock or a sell on windfall from Dembele will push events along quicker, other than that, what? It's not the fans' responsibility to come up with a solution. We all know it can be tough at times following a football team, but this tough and for this length of time?
Posted by: Boris Johnson, November 23, 2020, 11:43am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Stadium

So a genuine question.

probably end up in the squad for next year
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 23, 2020, 11:49am; Reply: 51
The time for administration was after ITV Digital when countless clubs did it. Leicester being the most successful since.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:27am