Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 31, 2020, 7:36pm
Vent your anger... personally, I'm of unhappy but not overjoyed, Taylor needs to think quicker and Macca can be forgiven his faux Pas as he got us the point today
Waterfall and Pollock are really getting an understanding of each other now but Preston keeps getting caught out
Still not sure what Green offers, Windsor struggled against a physical back line.
Hanson is Hanson, until the wide lads sort out the delivery into the box he's not going to get on the score sheet
On to Tuesday and see what that brings...UTM..
Posted by: davmariner, October 31, 2020, 7:57pm; Reply: 1
We shouldn’t underestimate how excrement Stevenage are. They haven’t scored for about 7 games and we made them look like Barca at times.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 31, 2020, 8:10pm; Reply: 2
Tuesday is another day so let's forget today's poor showing and hope we see a vast improvement.

Max on the wing will be a better bet for Hanson to get a bit of service.

Ollie said 3games ago that Preston might need a rest  or he might break.

BUT

He has played him in every game so he might need to sit Barrow out and save his energy for another day.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 31, 2020, 8:22pm; Reply: 3
The biggest concern aside from being utterly useless going forward is the fact Danny Preston has gone backwards at an alarming rate since the Orient game.

Only Pollock, Hendrie and in particular Waterfall have had consistently good seasons so far. Edwards is another and we badly miss him.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, October 31, 2020, 8:25pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from pontoonlew
The biggest concern aside from being utterly useless going forward is the fact Danny Preston has gone backwards at an alarming rate since the Orient game.

Only Pollock, Hendrie and in particular Waterfall have had consistently good seasons so far. Edwards is another and we badly miss him.

He's a young lad whose more or less played every game. It's a big step up for him so cut him some slack.
Posted by: davmariner, October 31, 2020, 8:25pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from pontoonlew

Good point on Preston. I thought the same. We look very vulnerable defensively from that side. Teams are noticeably targeting that area.
Posted by: Stadium, October 31, 2020, 8:26pm; Reply: 6
Bizarre again.

“I’d have taken that yesterday, we trained awfully,” Holloway said.

“I had to read the riot act for one or two of them, people feeling sorry for themselves and all that.

“It was always going to be tough, I thought they played very well. They’re improving, they’ve got Lennie Lawrence helping them out now, so if ever there was going to be a day for it to go even worse for us it would have been today.

“At the end of the day, I want us to have a bit more understanding and a bit more cohesion going forward, and at least I did a bit of work yesterday on the grass.

“I’m sure we’ll back in on Monday for Tuesday’s game, and people will get the understanding that we want.

Holloway added: “There was lots and lots of good stuff, and there was a fair bit of poor stuff, but I would like to suggest Stevenage deserved that and forced us into that.

“I thought Luke Waterfall and Mattie Pollock were excellent, Macca was back to himself, made a couple of great saves which we needed him to do, and at the end of the day some of our selection, some of our passing was what I would want.

“But at the top end, it’s like a bunch of strangers. I remember I added some chickens to my lot, and they all started pecking each other and nobody knew what was what. That’s what my forwards look like a bit, but we’ll get there.”
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 31, 2020, 8:27pm; Reply: 7
Agree with all of that apart from Davmariner’s point about Barca. Unless he meant the club in Cleethorpes.
Posted by: denni266, October 31, 2020, 9:41pm; Reply: 8
Aa far as i can see  we are reasonable at the back but from there up. apart from the odd player here and there and not consistant we just are not good enough.Too many are inexperianced or just not good enough end of . Its ok olley saying we will come good , yes if they are good enough , but we are well short of good players . its like saying i did not win the lotto this week but i will one day .. OR are we going to push the old .... in the next window . now we have ben told that for 20 yrs  or more
Posted by: moosey_club, October 31, 2020, 10:26pm; Reply: 9
Dont think either full back had alot of help from the midfield or maybe even the shape /system in general , would still prefer a 4-4-2 as i think it gives the fullbacks support defensively and also a fixed point in front of them to play to or overlap , the system we have now seems to leave them either over exposed or on each others toes.
Also when the ball went to the strikers they were very much apart, Green especially on his own as the others drifted out wider.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 31, 2020, 10:54pm; Reply: 10
I think Ollie’s strategy of we have a lot of games to play so let’s go for quantity versus quality is proving hard to drive consistency.

As we didn’t have lots of cash the mix of the squad non league step up’s, U23 under grads and reserves from tier 2/3 doesn’t look like it’s as adaptable to the rotation as policy we’re now employing.

What is it 8 points from 24? Carry on like that and we’ll struggle to get 50.

Statisticians are running the Country now so why not football message boards😉
Posted by: Mayaman, November 1, 2020, 12:12am; Reply: 11
Quoted from moosey_club
Dont think either full back had alot of help from the midfield or maybe even the shape /system in general , would still prefer a 4-4-2 as i think it gives the fullbacks support defensively and also a fixed point in front of them to play to or overlap , the system we have now seems to leave them either over exposed or on each others toes.
Also when the ball went to the strikers they were very much apart, Green especially on his own as the others drifted out wider.

Eh.  What midfield?  We need Harry and Max back .  Even on a day they are playing badly, they have energy and get stuck in. Taylor looks like he's having a kick about with his kids.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 1, 2020, 12:41am; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete
Tuesday is another day so let's forget today's poor showing and hope we see a vast improvement.

Max on the wing will be a better bet for Hanson to get a bit of service.

Ollie said 3games ago that Preston might need a rest  or he might break.

BUT

He has played him in every game so he might need to sit Barrow out and save his energy for another day.

He's said before that Tilley can play wing back and he's left footed but sounds like he's battered and bruised after today.

Max played RWB against Scunthorpe last season but that is probably too demanding in his first game back. Giving Preston a break probably means putting someone like Clifton there, or Hendrie with Clifton on the right.

I assume Hewitt is injured as he's not been mentioned for what seems like weeks.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 1, 2020, 1:04am; Reply: 13
Quoted from pontoonlew

Agree. He will read this, I would. Danny as done well, but he had dipped, he's 20 I believe, focus, make it, establish at Town as we are a good club, push, push, play and he wouldn't be here if he didn't want to push. Push more mate, crack on, you have dipped, no worries, more. Smash them. And thank you.
Posted by: Stew0_0, November 1, 2020, 1:10am; Reply: 14
When we have strikers that clearly arent scoring or lacking in confidence. How long do we leave it before giving the likes of Gomis, Jackson Jnr or Sisay a start from the beginning
Posted by: aldi_01, November 1, 2020, 7:36am; Reply: 15
Let’s face it, Covid is the new itv digital so it’ll be the excuse for many a year.

Putting the clear lack of progressive thinking and ambition of any kind from the club and focusing on the team, the problems are mirrored.

We’ve brought players in and have gone from having not enough to now having more than enough it would seem, but with one problem...some seem unable to get fit, don’t particularly look very good or simply can’t get a look in for one reason or another.

The Bignot like guesswork regarding the starting 11 every week confuses fans and I’d imagine it’s having a similar effect on the squad.

We keep moaning about pre season and training and the likes as if we’re the only team affected; a woe is me type attitude was again isn’t healthy. Similarly, we keep moaning about the fixtures, something which impacts every club. The fixture list isn’t to blame for our lack of ideas or attacking threat.

Anyone else managing this group of players/brought this squad together would be under serious pressure, Covid or no Covid.

We’ve seen glimmers of a decent starting 11 and naturally had a couple of good results which can’t be ignored but they’ll fade in to the distance if performances we saw at FGR and Stevenage become the norm.
Posted by: Davec, November 1, 2020, 8:01am; Reply: 16
There is no doubt that Covid has had an impact but then Covid has affected every single team and not just us.

Bossing possession in every game is all well and good but we do need to start creating chances and taking them otherwise we will find ourselves battling against relegation.

When we signed Sissy Jackson and Gibson the big concern was that if none of them are able to step up this season it will leave us very very short on goals.

Holloway seems insistent on chopping and changing every game which is not helping with consistency and he said yesterday we play like strangers well that's understandable when we don't have a settled team. I do get his point that with such a long lay off we need to manage fitness but I don't really think it is necessary to make so many changes a game.

On paper a fully fit Williams, Scannell Bennett and Edwards need to be in the team and we should see more creativity.

I do think only going through the season with one left back is abit silly, it is a lot of pressure on young shoulders who last season played a handful of games with Alfreton, eventually he is going to get burnt out.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 1, 2020, 8:09am; Reply: 17
With our lack of goals it is odd that Jackson Jr hasnt had a look in, i’ve said before even stick bilel Mohnsi up there, but he’s vanished as well
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 1, 2020, 7:50pm; Reply: 18

Says it all really.....

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=7694
Posted by: monkeyboy, November 2, 2020, 10:13am; Reply: 19
He did say he wanted more reserve games for the lads on the fringes but just cant get them.
Jackson jnr scored 2 and made the other in the last reserve game and cant even make the bench ahead of Matt 2 a season Green.
Sissay was at Clee town but is only on a years deal so doesn't look like he will be here long if not getting a chance now.

Dont think Gibson is good enough personally but hope he proves me wrong but with a midfield that do not create anything is it surprising.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:08pm