Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: coddy60, October 31, 2020, 5:23pm
I see Siriki got a hat trick today, with rumours of Prem clubs sniffing already.
Is anybody aware of what, if any sell on clause we had on him?
Posted by: Davec, October 31, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from coddy60
I see Siriki got a hat trick today, with rumours of Prem clubs sniffing already.
Is anybody aware of what, if any sell on clause we had on him?

1.5% up to a maximum of 10k knowing us.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 31, 2020, 5:35pm; Reply: 2
They don't tell us mere mortals.

Whatever it is they will try and fiddle us out of it.

We will have to send Ollie to collect and he won't leave until he gets it.  ;D
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 31, 2020, 5:43pm; Reply: 3
Always staggers me that people didn’t rate Dembele, he may have lost his head towards the end but he was the last player that properly got people off their seat.
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 31, 2020, 5:52pm; Reply: 4
Threaten to send Ollie to give them one of his sermons on everything but football, they’ll surrender after about 5 minutes.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, October 31, 2020, 6:53pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from pontoonlew
Always staggers me that people didn’t rate Dembele, he may have lost his head towards the end but he was the last player that properly got people off their seat.

remind me please, when was that exactly?
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 31, 2020, 7:07pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Boris Johnson

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1528198390/s-10/
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 31, 2020, 7:15pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from pontoonlew

I was always a fan, just thought he wasn't played right or enough.
Posted by: Poojah, October 31, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from pontoonlew

His debut at Chesterfield was absolutely unreal. I think everyone in the ground that day, particularly the Chesterfield players, were totally blown away by what he was doing.

His biggest problem was that he was quite literally the only creative outlet we had at the time. Stick three men on him, kick a few lumps out of him and it was job done.

Add to that the fact he was playing under the stewardship of Russel Slade, it’s not hard to see why he might have lost his enthusiasm.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 31, 2020, 8:18pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from promotion plaice

If that thread teaches you anything it’s to never go to The Fishy when you’re after an accurate review of a player.
Posted by: LH, October 31, 2020, 9:13pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from promotion plaice

“If he was called Siriki Smith we wouldn’t have signed him in the first place”

Fishy Gold.

The debut at Chesterfield was outstanding. He maybe wasn’t as disciplined as the two managers he played for us under might like but given the freedom to do what he wanted he could be a great player. We’ll get very little to intercourse all when he moves on.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 31, 2020, 9:20pm; Reply: 11

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 31, 2020, 10:27pm; Reply: 12
Sell on 🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted by: barralad, October 31, 2020, 10:53pm; Reply: 13
He was great against Chesterfield but my favourite Dembele moments came at Cheltenham where he took them apart virtually single-handedly. Scored two and got an assist in a 3-2 win.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 31, 2020, 11:42pm; Reply: 14
There was one thing that always amazed me about Dembele was that someone so anti football as Slade managed to fool him into joining us.  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 1, 2020, 12:46am; Reply: 15
Nike Academy dissolved in 2017 too!
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 1, 2020, 12:56am; Reply: 16
Quoted from pontoonlew

Slade was a supercunt, but he had that one right. That's literallty all he did mind.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 1, 2020, 12:58am; Reply: 17
Quoted from HertsGTFC
There was one thing that always amazed me about Dembele was that someone so anti football as Slade managed to fool him into joining us.  

Massively, he must have been so desperate. I'll hoof the fornicator, like 1986 and you run like a girl private.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 1, 2020, 4:06am; Reply: 18
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He managed to fool someone into giving him a job as well.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 1, 2020, 7:21am; Reply: 19
If it’s anything like the deals in the last where we’ve had sell on clauses we’ll probably end up owing them money...
Posted by: Ipswin, November 1, 2020, 8:11am; Reply: 20
There will be no sell That fat twit Fry will have, or soon will, con us out of what we were due, hes done it before with Bennett he'll do it again.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 1, 2020, 8:14am; Reply: 21
But when it was reviewed, didn’t it appear that whilst Fry is undoubtedly a crook, GTFC cocked the deal up hence why we were able to be scammed out of any potential cash?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 1, 2020, 8:20am; Reply: 22
Quoted from aldi_01
But when it was reviewed, didn’t it appear that whilst Fry is undoubtedly a crook, GTFC cocked the deal up hence why we were able to be scammed out of any potential cash?

Possibly or should that be probably I don't recall but  if it's possible to member it up so Fry gets out of it you can bet your life we've probably done it again
Posted by: Abdul19, November 1, 2020, 8:20am; Reply: 23
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2012/november/club-announces-profit/
Posted by: toontown, November 1, 2020, 10:05am; Reply: 24
For Bennett they tried to buy out or buy back clause but the club told them to eff off didn't they? We may have agreed to accept the money over a longer period rather than a lump sum or something but I might be mistaken
Posted by: Ipswin, November 1, 2020, 10:40am; Reply: 25
Quoted from toontown
For Bennett they tried to buy out or buy back clause but the club told them to eff off didn't they? We may have agreed to accept the money over a longer period rather than a lump sum or something but I might be mistaken

Fry promised to pay as soon as Peterborough win the Champions League

Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 1, 2020, 11:40am; Reply: 26
I've got a feeling there was a comment at the time that Fenty helped the deal go through when Peterborough sold him. Fry tried to buy out the sell-on clause but I think we accepted a delay in the sell-on money which helped the deal go through.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 1, 2020, 11:55am; Reply: 27
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I've got a feeling there was a comment at the time that Fenty helped the deal go through when Peterborough sold him. Fry tried to buy out the sell-on clause but I think we accepted a delay in the sell-on money which helped the deal go through.

Yes but did we ever get the money?

Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 1, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Ipswin

Yes but did we ever get the money?

Presumably or there would have been an adjustment in future years accounts. I don’t remember seeing anything. I can’t bearsed to look through them right now.
Posted by: barrattstandman, November 1, 2020, 1:39pm; Reply: 29

Before you became a troll !
Posted by: GollyGTFC, November 1, 2020, 2:02pm; Reply: 30
I think the issue with Ryan Bennett was Peterborough paid £500k + a 25% sell-on clause. They sold him for £3.2m to Norwich, Therefore we were entitled to 25% of the £2.7m profit that Peterborough made. So £675,000.

We were entitled to that money immediately under the terms of the deal, but Peterborough were only getting the money from Norwich over a period of time (the length of Bennett's contract at Norwich) so couldn't afford to pay us up front. We did a deal to delay our cut so the deal could go through.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 1, 2020, 7:33pm; Reply: 31
He nearly went in the summer. He might go for major money in January. I’ve no doubt we will have a sell on and he’ll probably end up paying the shortfall for this season.

He is the most talented player we’ve permanently had since before we were relegated. Shows how shite Jolley was for freezing him out.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), November 1, 2020, 7:45pm; Reply: 32
Does it actually matter if we have a sell in clause?  Say it’s 5% and he sells for £3m, great £150k for the club........ but wait....... the major shareholder who has absolutely no power at the club (oh really) steps in and wipes £150k off the clubs debt to him.

Get your red crosses out Fenty sycophants
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 1, 2020, 8:09pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from 139914
Does it actually matter if we have a sell in clause?  Say it’s 5% and he sells for £3m, great £150k for the club........ but wait....... the major shareholder who has absolutely no power at the club (oh really) steps in and wipes £150k off the clubs debt to him.

Get your red crosses out Fenty sycophants

Short term pain for long term gain through, surely? I hope Fenty takes every available penny out as we won't make any real progress till he is gone. His benign loans mantra was just a clever use of words as he obviously wants every penny back, however undeserved.

We just need one big transfer fee to enable him to take his money back, and hopefully, leave us alone.
Posted by: ska face, November 1, 2020, 8:22pm; Reply: 34
Does anyone actually think Fenty will walk once the loan’s repaid? Absolutely no chance.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 1, 2020, 8:53pm; Reply: 35
Why would he want to stay he does get dogs abuse although most of it is self inflicted tbf. Let's just hope he can get paid back and moved on asap.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 2, 2020, 7:30am; Reply: 36
Where does this myth come from that we negotiate excrement sell on fees? We got more from Bennett’s sell on fee than we did the initial fee.

With prices inflating like they are, we could be due a hell of a payday for Dembele
Posted by: Henryscat, November 2, 2020, 7:39am; Reply: 37
Did I not read on here we get sell on fees every time Bennett moves or have I made that up?
Posted by: golfer, November 2, 2020, 8:01am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Henryscat
Did I not read on here we get sell on fees every time Bennett moves or have I made that up?

You might have read it but unlikely to be true. If you imagine that he was sold 5 times over the years and there was a sell on clause each time by all previous clubs he would become unsellable as his sale price would have to include all these sell on fees. Turn it into a maths question and see what you end up with.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, November 2, 2020, 11:17am; Reply: 39
The problem is Dembele's real age. He was sent home from the FIFA under 17 World Cup for being over aged wasn't he and that's still the date of birth he uses. No one will pay a decent fee for him without getting a MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) done on his wrist to determine his true age. And if the result comes back and he's significantly older no one will touch him.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 2, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 40
Quoted from pontoonlew
We got more from Bennett’s sell on fee than we did the initial fee.

I am still trying to establish that we actually got the money (or did we agree £5 a week for life)

Posted by: pontoonlew, November 2, 2020, 11:51am; Reply: 41
Quoted from GollyGTFC
The problem is Dembele's real age. He was sent home from the FIFA under 17 World Cup for being over aged wasn't he and that's still the date of birth he uses. No one will pay a decent fee for him without getting a MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) done on his wrist to determine his true age. And if the result comes back and he's significantly older no one will touch him.

I can’t find anywhere online that supports the fact he’s over the age he says now. He had the MRI scan and his age was concluded.
Posted by: golfer, November 2, 2020, 12:09pm; Reply: 42
Like that immigrant who went to school and said he was 15 ( teeth falling out, bald head and more wrinkles than a SHAR PEI ) and the school fell for it.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, November 2, 2020, 3:12pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from pontoonlew

I can’t find anywhere online that supports the fact he’s over the age he says now. He had the MRI scan and his age was concluded.

[url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22152016]Click Here- BBC Sport Website[/url]

According to his stated date of birth (7th September 1996) he would have been 16 years and 7 months when he failed the MRI scan.

Tournament rules for the 2013 FIFA under 17 World Cup meant players had to be born on or after 1st January 1996.

There would have been a significant amount of tolerance given as it's not an exact science. The 9 players who were thrown out of the tournament would have been at least a year beyond the 17 years & 3 months age limit at time of testing (April 2013).

Which means FIFA decided Siriki Dembele was born before 1st January 1995. There was no appeal launched by any nation or players so it is safe to assume that all 9 players are older than their given date of births.

With that in mind Siriki Dembele is probably a couple of years older than the date of birth listed. He's probably around 26 rather than 24 and running out of time to make a big step up to the Premier League considering he's not played higher than League One.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 2, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 44
Just watched the highlights of Posh game this weekend. The interesting thing was seeing Dembeles starting positions with the ball, usually well into the opposing teams half, and let loose to just attack, rather than expected to create things  receiving the ball out wide well in his own half as he had to with our ultra cautious managers. (Yes he is more experienced now but really think we wasted his talent)
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), November 3, 2020, 12:43pm; Reply: 45
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47077883 trustworthy gentleman more dodgy than Del Trotter. As likable as Ian Brady. A face more suited to radio than TV.
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, November 7, 2020, 2:46pm; Reply: 46
25% sell-on clause. Just confirmed by Philip Day on RH
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 7, 2020, 2:52pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner
25% sell-on clause. Just confirmed by Philip Day on RH

But I thought we only negotiated excrement sell on fees?

Great news
Posted by: Davec, November 7, 2020, 2:52pm; Reply: 48
How much are Peterborough wanting for Dembele? Could be a decent pay for us
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 7, 2020, 2:57pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Davec
How much are Peterborough wanting for Dembele? Could be a decent pay for us

Well, they got 9.7m for Ivan Toney who’s a 24 year old striker. For a 26 y old Dembele (or allegedly 45 years old according to someone on here) I’d expect a minimum of £3m which will give us £750,000
Posted by: MarinerRob, November 7, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 50
Well that something good which Slade did then by signing Dembele.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 7, 2020, 6:59pm; Reply: 51
I'm sure Peterborough will insert a sell-on clause too. Lets assume they sell him for £4m and we get £1m.

If their clause is also 25% and he is then sold for £24m (clauses are based on profit not the price usually), we then get another £1m (25% of the what Peterborough receive).
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 7, 2020, 7:02pm; Reply: 52
If the do sell him on then I would assume the buying club will have an agreement to pay the money over a period of time, 2/3 years so then Peterborough would also pass our share on over 2/3 years.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 7, 2020, 7:13pm; Reply: 53
25% is excellent.  

Exeter had a reputed 20% sell-on for Ollie Watkins and York had 10% for Ben Godfrey.  Both these players were sold on for a package of up to £30M each.  Extremely profitable work - and far more so than the actual transfer fees.

Town did very then to negotiate 25%.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 7, 2020, 7:15pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Gaffer58
If the do sell him on then I would assume the buying club will have an agreement to pay the money over a period of time, 2/3 years so then Peterborough would also pass our share on over 2/3 years.

I believe the sell-on money is usually due immediately and that is what held up the Bennett deal until Fenty agreed for installments.
Posted by: Poojah, November 7, 2020, 7:31pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from MarinerRob
Well that something good which Slade did then by signing Dembele.

It could be hugely, hugely significant in fairness. I’ve no idea how Slade stumbled across him whilst others missed his obvious talent (he was released by Ayr United ffs) but with Town standing to make anywhere between £750k and £2m at this crucial time, his signing could genuinely go down as one of the most important in our history.

I’m struggling to think of a more impressive Town debut than his at Chesterfield in 2017. The only other one I can think of is David Nielsen vs QPR in 2000 but technically he came on against Huddersfield the weekend before so I’m not sure it counts. Fúck me that was 20 years ago. Frightening.  
Posted by: ginnywings, November 7, 2020, 7:49pm; Reply: 56
He scored again today. Keep on popping them in Siriki and get that price up.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 7, 2020, 8:09pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from ginnywings
He scored again today. Keep on popping them in Siriki and get that price up.

Just a shame he's not scoring these goals a level higher as that would put him in an even higher price bracket.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 11:18am