Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 30, 2020, 3:50pm
Has sadly died. RIP
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, October 30, 2020, 3:56pm; Reply: 1
RIP
Remember seeing him kick Dave Boylen all over the park when he played for Preston. Different game in those days
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2020, 4:21pm; Reply: 2
Another world cup winner gone.

RIP Nobby
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 30, 2020, 4:21pm; Reply: 3
Sad Loss!
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 30, 2020, 4:29pm; Reply: 4

Thanks for the memory....1966

RIP Nobby
Posted by: denni266, October 30, 2020, 4:32pm; Reply: 5
Sad loss. will alwase be remembered . especialy dancing round wembley
Posted by: Rick12, October 30, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 6
Sad to read. I remember reading Alf Ramseys book and he said some some nice things about him eg effort and the good ball winner that he was.

RIP champ.
Posted by: Perkins, October 30, 2020, 5:38pm; Reply: 7
Another great player who succumbed to Alzheimers disease. RIP Nobby, a true character.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 30, 2020, 5:47pm; Reply: 8
Watched a great documentary about 1966 and Stiles said Alf Ramsey told him his job was to win the ball and give it to Bobby Charlton, nothing else. So that's what he did.

His intention was to have his teeth in for all the post world cup final pictures and a squad member had Nobby's teeth in his pocket ready to give to him when the match ended (I forget who the squad member was). At the end of the match said squad member was so busy celebrating that Nobby never got his teeth back and all the photos show his toothless smile.

Just a good, honest bloke.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 30, 2020, 5:49pm; Reply: 9
World Cup 1966 v Argentina
Ramsey to Nobby " I want you to mark Ratin"
Nobby  "What permanently boss!"
Posted by: Ipswin, October 30, 2020, 6:02pm; Reply: 10
Just four heroes left
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 30, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 11
People thought he was just a ball winner but Nobby could play as well as anyone. Ramsey led a round of applause for him in the dressing room for his performance against Eusebio in the semi against Portugal and backed him against the FA suits who wanted him dropped for a mistimed tackle in the France game.

Sad to see that his retirement was not as fulfilling as his playing career, he was short of cash and of course had Alzheimer’s. Another piece of history gone. RIP.
Posted by: 1098 (Guest), October 30, 2020, 6:16pm; Reply: 12
Bought him a drink at an artie white do at the jubilee. Nice fella blind as a bat!! he signed my England shirt underneath the gold star he said why there to which I replied because that gold star represents the world cup that you won. He was genuinely shocked and said thanks for that I never
knew that star meant that......r.i.p nobby
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), October 30, 2020, 7:54pm; Reply: 13
Played football when men played it. RIP Nobby.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 30, 2020, 8:37pm; Reply: 14
RIP Nobby. Achieved more than the vast majority of today’s outrageously paid players will ever do.

“Ah! Nobby Stee-les. Bobby Charrlton.”
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 4:34pm