Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Davec, October 30, 2020, 6:58am
Has passed away aged 77.

Once a mariner always a mariner RIP
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 30, 2020, 7:10am; Reply: 1
It was only recently I looked jimmy up as my partner had the pleasure of meeting him through a new job she’s not long started. Sad news RIP
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), October 30, 2020, 7:59am; Reply: 2
Is this the Jimmy Thompson who used to smash penalties, if the keeper managed to get in the way he’d join the ball in the back of the net, number 4 I think?

RIP
Posted by: Ipswin, October 30, 2020, 8:02am; Reply: 3
In the days before a 'back four' (or five) we had full backs and Thompson and Taylor were fixtures for Town for many seasons, very sad yet another one gone from a memorable era RIP
Posted by: mimma, October 30, 2020, 11:28am; Reply: 4
I worked with Jim for a short while at what was then CIBA-Geigy on shifts. Lovely fella, Jim. As has been mentioned,  full back partner of Graham Taylor for many years.

RIP Jim
Posted by: wuffing, October 30, 2020, 12:06pm; Reply: 5
RIP Jim
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, October 30, 2020, 12:52pm; Reply: 6
Jimmy scored two penalties at the pontoon end one match.....cannot remember which one but think we played the same team the next game....cup game I think?
Both were full blooded rockets straight down the middle.....I was stood right behind them and ducked both times!!
Their keeper asked me if he gets another can we swop places!

Remember Jimmy was small but built like a brick shithouse...
Great memories......
Posted by: mimma, October 30, 2020, 2:37pm; Reply: 7
He was very consistent and never let us down. Didn't take prisoners either. Good club servant.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2020, 2:42pm; Reply: 8
Remember him very well a good player for us.

RIP Jimmy.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), October 30, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 9
very, very sad. RIP Jimmy.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 30, 2020, 3:42pm; Reply: 10
Not sure if fans are muddled about the two Jimmy Thompson’s and whilst I did see the recently departed JT play at full back in the mid sixties I don’t recall him being a penalty taker.

However, town had another JT play for us in the McMenemy promotion team who was the number 4 and took our penalties. I certainly remember a freezing cold and snowy game as York in the first round of the FACup in 1971 when he scored two pennos in a 4-2 defeat. He lost his place to Lew Chatterley when he joined us from Northampton and as far as I remember his appearances after that were limited at best.
Posted by: Teestogreen, November 7, 2020, 10:07pm; Reply: 11
Missed this one - RIP Jimmy Thompson - right full back opposite Graham Taylor at left full back - 2 players passing on in same week from the team I first watched - Matt being the other.
Yes - the second Jimmy Thompson scored 2 penalties at York in yet another FA  Cup defeat - we followed the Town team bus round the city walls twice trying to find Bootham Crescent - remember Jack Lewis looking anxiously out the back window.
UTM
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 4:38am