Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 29, 2020, 7:02pm
We have just hit £7000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are coming to the end of the month........PAY DAY

While £7k is amazing, if you have already donated, thankyou, but we need more, so if you can afford to donate again, no matter how much, it all goes to one or more Charities that Ollie chooses to support.
Posted by: thefish, October 29, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 1
We have just hit £7000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are coming to the end of the month........PAY DAY

While £7k is amazing, if you have already donated, thankyou, but we need more, so if you can afford to donate again, no matter how much, it all goes to one or more Charities that Ollie chooses to support.

Do we? I think £7k is an amazing amount!

Well done for setting it up, but don’t let it rumble on for too long with only a few extra pence being thrown in every so often. Better to give it over to Ian while it’s fresh!

Just my opinion of course and if we hit £8k or more in the next few days then I’ll hold my hands up!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 29, 2020, 7:17pm; Reply: 2
An outstanding collective effort.  It takes someone to organise it in the first place.  So well done for that.
Posted by: heppy88, October 29, 2020, 7:19pm; Reply: 3
That’s great news and I’m sure the money is going to be well appreciated by those who receive it. With Christmas coming and a lot of uncertainty many will surely struggle with their mental health.
BUT wasn't the original aim to raise £500 and instead £7000 has been raised? An amazing achievement, so why has more got to be raised and why are people who have already donated now expected to donate again?
A great job, but I wouldn’t push it too far. UTMM
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 29, 2020, 7:35pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from heppy88
That’s great news and I’m sure the money is going to be well appreciated by those who receive it. With Christmas coming and a lot of uncertainty many will surely struggle with their mental health.
BUT wasn't the original aim to raise £500 and instead £7000 has been raised? An amazing achievement, so why has more got to be raised and why are people who have already donated now expected to donate again?
A great job, but I wouldn’t push it too far. UTMM

Yes the original total was £500 which I personally thought would be difficult to achieve, without realising how amazing the Fishy flock are with their generosity.

More has to be raised because its for charity, and fingers crossed, very worthy charities at that.

"A great job, but I wouldn’t push it too far." How far is too far when this money could help save a life? or lives?

Posted by: Davec, October 29, 2020, 8:26pm; Reply: 5
Surely a charity needs every penny it can get? So I don't see the reason why to stop there and call it a day
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 29, 2020, 8:50pm; Reply: 6
There is a danger here that anyone not supporting the campaign running indefinitely is somehow wanting to deprive charities of money, which obviously is not the case.

People can donate to a charity of their choosing should they wish to, long after the money for this campaign has been handed over.

All good things must come to an end, and this has been a good thing, well a great thing actually! Well done to you and all that have contributed.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 29, 2020, 9:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Sandford1981
There is a danger here that anyone not supporting the campaign running indefinitely is somehow wanting to deprive charities of money, which obviously is not the case.

People can donate to a charity of their choosing should they wish to, long after the money for this campaign has been handed over.

All good things must come to an end, and this has been a good thing, well a great thing actually! Well done to you and all that have contributed.

Exactly, although I've raised a fair bit for brain tumour research, I do have a standing order set up for a tenner a month. I know it's not much but it's a nice feeling to know I'm doing my little bit to help towards maybe  a cure being found one day.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 29, 2020, 9:48pm; Reply: 8
Grimsby fans are the best
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 30, 2020, 7:58am; Reply: 9
I do agree, its £6500 over its original target so its already succeeded.

Possibly consider giving the money soon as with Christmas coming the charity could do with a welcome boost, so could ollie i imagine too.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 30, 2020, 8:05am; Reply: 10
Set a date just after October pay day, end it then whatever the amount and then invite JSF to round it up to £10,000 , he's hardly likely to say no surely.
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 30, 2020, 9:07am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Ipswin
Set a date just after October pay day, end it then whatever the amount and then invite JSF to round it up to £10,000 , he's hardly likely to say no surely.

I think that’s a great idea!
Posted by: pen penfras, October 30, 2020, 10:26am; Reply: 12
I think ending this now on a high is better than limping it along. It's not going to go viral, because the page is all about Grimsby Town and "our Ollie". It's been a fantastic effort. Hand the money over soon and get some more positive press for the club and fans :)
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, October 30, 2020, 11:16am; Reply: 13
Spot on. No point in letting this drift and losing the momentum or forgetting the original reason behind this superb effort. As for asking people to contribute twice, I don’t think that’s the way these things are supposed to work!
Posted by: Henryscat, October 30, 2020, 11:22am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Ipswin

How do you know JSF hasn’t already contributed as an anonymous donator?
Posted by: Ipswin, October 30, 2020, 11:40am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Henryscat

How do you know JSF hasn’t already contributed as an anonymous donator?

Do you think he has? Anyway what a wonderful gesture it would be if he rounded it up to say 10k both to show his support for Holloway but mainly for Holloway's chosen (mental health?) charity

Posted by: Henryscat, October 30, 2020, 1:14pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Ipswin

Do you think he has? Anyway what a wonderful gesture it would be if he rounded it up to say 10k both to show his support for Holloway but mainly for Holloway's chosen (mental health?) charity

I don’t know if he has or hasn’t - that’s the whole point of anonymous donations.

It would be a wonderful gesture if he did (I’m a big fan personally of mental health charities but he may choose to give his money elsewhere)
Posted by: Ipswin, October 30, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Henryscat

I don’t know if he has or hasn’t - that’s the whole point of anonymous donations.

It would be a wonderful gesture if he did (I’m a big fan personally of mental health charities but he may choose to give his money elsewhere)

He will be giving it to his pal Holloway for him to give to whoever he chooses. Folk don't donate on the basis that they can decide where the money goes surely and I don't beieve John Fenty would either.

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 30, 2020, 1:33pm; Reply: 18
Im in discussions with GTFC at the moment. Fingers in pies etc.

Hopefully doing something at "A Night with Ollie", which has been moved back until the 9th November now, so have another week or so to build on it.

Planning on having an auction. Anyone got any ideas how I could do it to include those at the "A Night with..." and on the internet?

Limited edition Ollie caracature donated by Jim Connor

Wayne Burnetts Limited Edition No6 shirt from Wembley 1998 (Worn when scoring the winning goal vs Bournemouth)

Other donations being sought also.
Posted by: Henryscat, October 30, 2020, 2:19pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Ipswin

He will be giving it to his pal Holloway for him to give to whoever he chooses. Folk don't donate on the basis that they can decide where the money goes surely and I don't beieve John Fenty would either.

I think we’re talking at cross purposes. I think it’s a great idea but although he’s a few shillings ahead of most of us on this board, JF (like the rest of us) will have a finite pot of money he chooses to donate to charity. I don’t know the guy or his past but what I’m trying to say (admittedly very poorly) is that MH charities might not feature on his radar (he may for instance choose cancer charities)

Yes it would be a great idea but I think we also need to remember it’s not for anyone to tell anyone else how to spend their money (particularly 2-2.5k)
Posted by: Henryscat, October 30, 2020, 2:21pm; Reply: 20
As an aside I have donated (and do every month to my own chosen MH charity) and reading WBJS post there I will almost certainly be bidding on the shirt
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 21
I think it would be rude to ask Fenty or anybody to donate on a public board of telling everybody you have asked him.

He knows about the fundraiser so he so he will donate if he wants to.

Well done to all to get over 7,000 pounds an outstanding effort .
Posted by: Ipswin, October 30, 2020, 3:37pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think it would be rude to ask Fenty or anybody to donate on a public board of telling everybody you have asked him.

We've been asked to donate - twice!

Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2020, 4:28pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

We've been asked to donate - twice!

Not by name  ;)
Posted by: jaygy, October 30, 2020, 5:09pm; Reply: 24
I need that Burnett shirt!! and I bet a lot of others would be very interested, I can see that going for a lot of money which is great for the charity
Posted by: Tommy, October 31, 2020, 9:24am; Reply: 25
I'm of the opinion that it would be better to wrap it up soon. Straight after this planned auction at the Ollie night ideally.

As others have said, best not to have it limping on. People can still choose to donate to charities if they wish once this has finished, but I think it comes away from the impact intended when this all started if it tries to become some national, record breaking fundraiser.

A key point is, especially as we're likely heading into a 2nd national lockdown, that a mental health charity would be better off having the money now to be able to actually help people, rather than the money sitting in an online account just for us to marvel at.

Get it to Ollie so he can get it donated.

Just my opinion.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 31, 2020, 3:16pm; Reply: 26
Everyones opinion is welcome.

I also think the sooner we can get the money to Ollie the better. Couldnt agree more

With the new Covid situation, I am doubting that the Night with Ollie will even go ahead now, so may have to rely on an online auction etc, but until I hear either way, I am still pushing for further fundraising on the night. It seems to be a "play it by ear" situation at the moment.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 1, 2020, 2:45pm; Reply: 27
It's official. A Night with Ollie has been cancelled, so I am now going to try to get an auction up and running for the few exciting lots we already have. I have had a few replies from companies who said they are interested in supplying more things for us to raise more money for Ollie's fundraiser.

I will keep everyone updated
Posted by: Sandford1981, November 1, 2020, 3:09pm; Reply: 28
And we thought Brexit was a long drawn out process!

I would suggest getting the money donated now so it can be put to good use.

The auction will raise good money too so could be kept separate and donated later.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 1, 2020, 9:28pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Sandford1981
And we thought Brexit was a long drawn out process!

I would suggest getting the money donated now so it can be put to good use.

The auction will raise good money too so could be kept separate and donated later.

Hardly a long drawn out process is it? It's only been going 10 days.
Posted by: mariner83, November 2, 2020, 7:43am; Reply: 30
My personal thoughts, with the 2nd lockdown imminent and the impact it will have on people's mental health I think now is the perfect time to donate what has been raised so far.
Posted by: Sandford1981, November 2, 2020, 8:45am; Reply: 31

Hardly a long drawn out process is it? It's only been going 10 days.

Perhaps it’s just me but it’s felt a lot longer than it needs to be with the different threads and the poll for it. Given that the money raised, is for mental health and with the current circumstances, perhaps it just doesn’t feel urgent enough.
I’m not having a go, as I’ve said on multiple occasions, it’s been brilliant  you deserve credit and I have donated myself, however, I’m sure the charities could use the money immediately.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 1:01am