Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Welwynmariner, October 28, 2020, 12:48pm
FC Clacton have appointed Mark Nicholls as their new manager and some of my mates have seen that he played for Town in 2000. They are really up about it because he was also ex-Chelsea but I have this bad memory that he failed to impress when he was with us?

I've been finding ways of avoiding the conversation so far but can anyone remember him?
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, October 28, 2020, 12:54pm; Reply: 1
I was excited that he was coming but he was very underwhelming unfortunately. I think you've only got to check his subsequent career to see where he went after playing for us.
Posted by: HarrogateMariner, October 28, 2020, 1:06pm; Reply: 2
I remember us beating Crystal Palace 1-0 thanks to a penalty which Nicholls won by a bit of a dramatic fall in the box. Don't remember anything else about him!
Posted by: Abdul19, October 28, 2020, 1:07pm; Reply: 3
Won a penalty by falling over v Palace on his debut (also the league debut of Ashley Cole). Got punched by Kevin Muscat v Wolves (I think). Was rubbish.
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 28, 2020, 1:31pm; Reply: 4
The only thing he did for us was getting his face in the way of Kevin Muscat's elbow.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, October 28, 2020, 1:33pm; Reply: 5
I remember us getting 2 strikers from Chelsea in that era.

Livingstone   big  strong physical aggressive hard working
And Nicholls ..  the opposite in most of those
Posted by: Davec, October 28, 2020, 2:17pm; Reply: 6
I thought it was Michael Boulding got elbowed by Muscat? Away at wolves where we won 1-0, sandwiched between the 5-2 and 6-2 win against Palace and Wimbledon?
Posted by: forza ivano, October 28, 2020, 2:19pm; Reply: 7
He was feckin useless
Posted by: Poojah, October 28, 2020, 2:22pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Davec
I thought it was Michael Boulding got elbowed by Muscat? Away at wolves where we won 1-0, sandwiched between the 5-2 and 6-2 win against Palace and Wimbledon?

Abdul may be talking about a separate incident, but Muscat definitely did Boulding. About a minute in:

[youtube]AdkCWGf8uiU[/youtube]
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 28, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 9
I was amazed Chelsea had given him a contract because he was rubbish with us.

My wife got more fight in her than he ever did.  ;D
Posted by: Kris2, October 28, 2020, 3:00pm; Reply: 10
Came in with some expectation and left rather forgettable. Just sort of ran around a lot looking like Bambi on ice and that's about it. Reading had him on loan before us and made a six-figure offer that was rejected by Chelsea who wanted a million for him, so we got him on loan. Probably wish they took that offer as he was soon released. Had a bunch of trials and some short stays but ended up in non league where he gained a bit of a rep for being violent. Think he's had quite a few bans for attacking opponents and instigating fights.

Tbh the only things I recall are his falling over to win a penalty and his terrible 90's haircut.
Posted by: buckstown, October 28, 2020, 3:23pm; Reply: 11
Man he was awful. When we played palace we both had Chelsea loanees. We got Nicholls and they got Mikkel Forsell.
And the winner is .......
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 28, 2020, 4:55pm; Reply: 12
Muscat did Nicholls with a punch in the kidneys front of the dugouts, as Abdul says.  Absolutely blatant and in front of both the ref and linesman, seem to think he didn't even get booked.

I'm listening to a few of the Undr The Cosh Podcasts at the minute (quite good and I'd recommend).  Just on the Paddy Kenny one at the minute and he spoke err very highly of Muscat ;D

Nicholls was terrible.  Summed up that end of Buckley Mk II era.  Lightweight, ineffectual....a footnote really.  Scored against Man Utd though, lovely little lob I think.
Posted by: gytone, October 28, 2020, 5:03pm; Reply: 13
Muscat was a horrible twit who definitely did Nicholls, as for Nicholls definitely underwhelming.
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 28, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 14
Nicholls had a very arrogant look think he thought he was much too good to be playing for a team such as Grimsby.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 28, 2020, 5:45pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Poojah

Abdul may be talking about a separate incident, but Muscat definitely did Boulding. About a minute in:

Christ, don't remember seeing that before.

In a way it's reassuring to see that the standard of refereeing hasn't actually got worse, it's exactly the same!
Posted by: moosey_club, October 28, 2020, 6:02pm; Reply: 16
Gash. The 90's version of Scott Mcgarvey
Posted by: ginnywings, October 28, 2020, 7:13pm; Reply: 17
Known by us as No Mark Nicholls. Nuff said.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 28, 2020, 7:31pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from friskneymariner
The only thing he did for us was getting his face in the way of Kevin Muscat's elbow.

Didn’t every player around that time?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 28, 2020, 7:32pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
I remember us getting 2 strikers from Chelsea in that era.

Livingstone   big  strong physical aggressive hard working
And Nicholls ..  the opposite in most of those

Wasn’t Freemo Flatts on loan from Chelsea too?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 28, 2020, 7:47pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Wasn’t Freemo Flatts on loan from Chelsea too?

No. Arsenal.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 28, 2020, 7:52pm; Reply: 21
Tbf it must be a fooking massive culture shock going from a big London club to gtfc 😂
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 28, 2020, 7:56pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No. Arsenal.

Ah yeah. Thanks.
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 28, 2020, 8:00pm; Reply: 23
Steve Watts ex Chelsea.
Posted by: livosnose, October 28, 2020, 9:33pm; Reply: 24
Pretty certain Muscat smacked Dave Smith at BP and got sent off as well
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 28, 2020, 10:07pm; Reply: 25
I actually think Mark Nicholls and Patrick Bamford are the same person. Ex-Chelsea - check. Enjoy a dive - check. Foppish, Harvard bothering fringes - check.

“Roads?! Where we’re going we don’t need roads”
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 28, 2020, 10:59pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Poojah

What a vid. I have been a very infrequent visitor of away grounds in my time, but I was there at Molineux that day. Amazing. In with the corporate home fans for the only time in my life, and I made no friends that day! Loved it.

As for the preceding one, Walsall at home - cruising at 2-0, sat in the corner of the Osmond (open to town fans that day), and when that last minute equaliser went in, I had never been so forlorn in my life. Couldn’t believe it.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, October 29, 2020, 7:12am; Reply: 27
Nicholls wasn’t very good but Muscat was always a w@nk3r
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 8:05pm