Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: It Bites, October 27, 2020, 7:40pm
Those that are gloating about the supposed decline of Scunthorpe United FC need a sharp reminder that Grimsby Town have been in a footballing decline for the last 17 years
Posted by: It Bites, October 27, 2020, 7:46pm; Reply: 1
Oh and any red crossers need to respond with an argument to back up their cross .
Posted by: It Bites, October 27, 2020, 8:12pm; Reply: 2
Wow . The power of the red crossšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 27, 2020, 9:03pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from It Bites
Those that are gloating about the supposed decline of Scunthorpe United FC need a sharp reminder that Grimsby Town have been in a footballing decline for the last 17 years

And for balance plenty of Scunts have gloated about our decline on here so it's our time and long may it continue.

Posted by: It Bites, October 28, 2020, 8:20am; Reply: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

And for balance plenty of Scunts have gloated about our decline on here so it's our time and long may it continue.

But Grimsby Town are still in that decline and it will continue for many years to come .
Posted by: psgmariner, October 28, 2020, 8:27am; Reply: 5
Bald men and combs spring to mind.
Posted by: Poojah, October 28, 2020, 8:31am; Reply: 6
Itā€™s entirely possible to observe the increasingly dire circumstances Scunthorpe United finds itself in whilst acknowledging our own flaws as a football club. Thereā€™s no disputing that weā€™ve declined since the end of the millennium, our last game in which was a narrow, last minute 2-1 defeat away at Man City to give you a sense of perspective.

But there are some stark differences. The catalyst for our decline was the failure of ITV digital, followed by years of underinvestment and an ineffective utilisation of what resources we have. We find ourselves roughly where we were sixteen years ago off the back of an approximate zero net spend, which is somewhat unsurprising when you consider the willingness of many other clubs to accrue debt in their pursuit of on-field success.

Which brings me onto Scunny. In the last decade alone they have fallen from the Championship to the foot of league two whilst accumulating debts well in excess of Ā£10m on gates well below ours.

This is fundamentally unsustainable for a club of Scunthorpeā€™s size and revenue generating capability (particularly at this time), and unless the ownership of the club intends underwrite those huge debts they face a very real existential threat in the very near future, something that relegation to the national league would only accelerate.

None of this means that Town are a case study in how to run a football club - we all know weā€™re not. If you want a good example of frugal success, go and see Wycombe or Accrington. Or for a case study in how to invest in an unfashionable, lower league club then go and pay Bournemouth or Brentford a visit.

But as to how to drive a football club into the ground? You could learn a lot from Peter Swan.
Posted by: TAGG, October 28, 2020, 9:53am; Reply: 7
Quoted from It Bites

First thing its not a 'supposed decline' it is a fully blown decline. Scunthorpe are in great danger of getting relegated, we have been there so know the signs.

As for Town being in decline for the last 17 years thats true.
There has been one constant presents in the decline but I don't think im allowed to say who that is.
Posted by: Poojah, October 28, 2020, 9:59am; Reply: 8
Quoted from TAGG

First thing its not a 'supposed decline' it is a fully blown decline. Scunthorpe are in great danger of getting relegated, we have been there so know the signs.

As for Town being in decline for the last 17 years thats true.
There has been one constant presents in the decline but I don't think im allowed to say who that is.

Bit harsh on Dave Moore, mate.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 28, 2020, 10:12am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Poojah

He could have been referring to Mighty Mariner.
Posted by: TAGG, October 28, 2020, 11:11am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Poojah

;D  ;D  ;D
Posted by: Posh Harry, October 28, 2020, 1:04pm; Reply: 11

He could have been referring to Mighty Mariner.

Thought we lost Mighty Mariner for a few months after a disagreement with the other one (apart from Dave Moore) who has been consistent for 17 years?
Posted by: Abdul19, October 28, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 12
I'd say 18 years.
Posted by: LH, October 28, 2020, 1:24pm; Reply: 13
ā€œWeā€™re excrement but youā€™re shitterā€ is lower league football rivalry in a nutshell.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 28, 2020, 1:30pm; Reply: 14
Admittedly, we haven't pushed on like we could have done since but I can vividly remember being at Wembley on that afternoon in 2016 when Nathan Arnold scored that goal, thinking to myself, God I hate supporting this club in constant decline.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 28, 2020, 1:35pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Les Brechin
Admittedly, we haven't pushed on like we could have done since but I can vividly remember being at Wembley on that afternoon in 2016 when Nathan Arnold scored that goal, thinking to myself, God I hate supporting this club in constant decline.

I broke off from my euphoria that day just for a moment when I realised I was getting excited about going up the 4th Division, how our great club had fallen

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 28, 2020, 1:39pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from It Bites

I quite agree. Nobody in football thinks of us as anything as bottom feeders, much as it pains me to say it, so to gloat about somebody slightly worse off seems a bit rich.
Posted by: tashee69, October 28, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 17
Thatā€™s football !! Ups and downs. Happens to teams like us. Scunny enjoyed gloating over our demise, so itā€™s nice to have a bit of a gloat back šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 28, 2020, 4:33pm; Reply: 18
WE ARE NOT IN DECLINE. WE ARE SLOWLY GOING UP..It looks like Scunthorpe are in decline. They are the one going down the league we have actually risen from the table below. That is not a decline. Some people!
Posted by: AussieMariner, October 28, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Ipswin

I broke off from my euphoria that day just for a moment when I realised I was getting excited about going up the 4th Division, how our great club had fallen

Good thing Swin, you might have had an allergic reaction otherwise šŸ˜€
Posted by: moosey_club, October 28, 2020, 6:10pm; Reply: 20
Will admit to gloating over it. Despise them. Hope they go down, bust and completely out of existence in all honesty.
100% fck em.

Posted by: WesternMariner, October 28, 2020, 6:42pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Posh Harry

Thought we lost Mighty Mariner for a few months after a disagreement with the other one (apart from Dave Moore) who has been consistent for 17 years?

I think youā€™re being way too harsh on Doris the kit lady.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, October 28, 2020, 7:49pm; Reply: 22
so what have Town been in previous to the last 17 years ON THE UP UTM
Posted by: Meza, October 28, 2020, 8:35pm; Reply: 23
For me i think the club just haven't gone with the times, probably for not wanting to, but without the help of any investment (money). I mean i see similarities with the club and a high street shop (that also hasn't moved on with the times).  

The Club relies mostly on fans and sponsorship, and a high street shop relies on people coming into the shop.  Alot of high street shops are probably closing due to not generating enough income and the rise of internet shopping.  I think alot that are doing well seem to have there own website to reach out to the wider audience.  

I know the club havent really acted on bringing in fresh investment previously, they did bring in Ollie to the board but i think we need some more, a bit like Lincoln who have builders, estate agents all sorts of different businesses on the board and they contribute not leaving it all to 1 man.  We are behind in terms of technology to other clubs in the same league \ stature mainly because the club do not want to waste money on an aging stadium.  But there are other things like ticket system \ or swipe card (im sure i read something about this).  The current climate just makes things even harder.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2020, 9:20am; Reply: 24
Quoted from 140067
WE ARE NOT IN DECLINE. WE ARE SLOWLY GOING UP..It looks like Scunthorpe are in decline. They are the one going down the league we have actually risen from the table below. That is not a decline. Some people!

So slow itā€™s imperceptible. Weā€™ve not made ANY progress since coming back up. We were upper mid-table that first season back and weā€™ve been lower-mid table since. The only objective measure by which weā€™ve moved forward is the debt reduction. Which is no bad.
Posted by: Mayaman, October 29, 2020, 11:00am; Reply: 25
Quoted from moosey_club
Will admit to gloating over it. Despise them. Hope they go down, bust and completely out of existence in all honesty.
100% fck em.

I don't get this mentality.  We need local rivals Course, I want us to be better than 'em but local competition is healthy I'd prefer it , if we were all a bit higher up the league.  OUr region of the country is a footballing backwater. It's embarrassing.

Posted by: rancido, October 29, 2020, 12:28pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 140067

Yes, we did decline to non-league and took several seasons to regain our league status but I think there was a high degree of confidence and realisation that we could achieve that return. If Scunthorpe get relegated ( fingers crossed ) then what are their chances of returning to league football ? As much as the present Board ( and JF ) get criticised for our " lack of financial  investment " do you honestly believe that Swann and their Board would be as supportive in getting Scunthorpe back in the league, as we have had? Seeing as Swann had ambitions of getting league status for Gainsborough and then "jumped ship " it is quite possible that with Scunthorpe getting relegated he could simply cut his losses and walk away leaving them with huge debts. I personally think that if Scunthorpe do get relegated then it would be a very long time before they again attained league status. They would join the likes of Bradford P.A.,Darlington, Southport , Stockport, York and countless other ex league teams who for one reason or another have declined into non-league obscurity.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 29, 2020, 2:47pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from rancido

Yes, we did decline to non-league and took several seasons to regain our league status but I think there was a high degree of confidence and realisation that we could achieve that return. If Scunthorpe get relegated ( fingers crossed ) then what are their chances of returning to league football ? As much as the present Board ( and JF ) get criticised for our " lack of financial  investment " do you honestly believe that Swann and their Board would be as supportive in getting Scunthorpe back in the league, as we have had? Seeing as Swann had ambitions of getting league status for Gainsborough and then "jumped ship " it is quite possible that with Scunthorpe getting relegated he could simply cut his losses and walk away leaving them with huge debts. I personally think that if Scunthorpe do get relegated then it would be a very long time before they again attained league status. They would join the likes of Bradford P.A.,Darlington, Southport , Stockport, York and countless other ex league teams who for one reason or another have declined into non-league obscurity.

Stockport finally look like having a decent go to get back in the league this season. A good old drinking Town is Stockport with some great pubs and although we haven't got the best of records at Edgeley Park I have one great memory of a 4-2 win there in our promotion season of 1989/90 when they had a player sent off early on and we really won the game twice having been pegged back to 2 all having led 2-0. Chris Hargreaves got our 4th that day IIRC. Must have been at least a couple of thousand Town there that day as we filled the away end behid the goal and half the seats in the side stand too.
Posted by: Henryscat, October 29, 2020, 3:28pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin

Stockport finally look like having a decent go to get back in the league this season. A good old drinking Town is Stockport with some great pubs and although we haven't got the best of records at Edgeley Park I have one great memory of a 4-2 win there in our promotion season of 1989/90 when they had a player sent off early on and we really won the game twice having been pegged back to 2 all having led 2-0. Chris Hargreaves got our 4th that day IIRC. Must have been at least a couple of thousand Town there that day as we filled the away end behid the goal and half the seats in the side stand too.

I live in Stockport and agree about most of the pubs (although Iā€™d personally avoid Edgeley itself)

Memories of Edgeley Park for me are getting absolutely urine wet through on the open terrace and basically forcing our way under the roof down the side. The goalie throwing the ball in the net one FL trophy game and Elding (playing for County) missing an open goal and running to celebrate in front of us.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 29, 2020, 7:08pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Mayaman

Its personal...above and beyond the local rivalry issue .  ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 30, 2020, 3:35pm; Reply: 30
For most of our history we were often leagues above the Scunts and you could put their dislike of us down as green eyed jealousy, however that dislike manifested in to pure venomous hate as they gloated at our decent to the abyss. Some of the comments on that insular ironing bru board were "I hope the Cods go bust and I hope the Cods rot in non league"

All those decades we were above the Scunts, quite a few people would have wanted them and Lincoln to rise up the leagues so we could play them other than that very few people would have given either club any thought let alone any hate towards them, unless it was in the cup or lower down the leagues.

Some on here are just returning the comments back with a wry smile, so intercourse the Scunts and their shitty tin pot club and that rusty sardine can they call a ground, I hope those girl privates fanny64 and ironing man are crying into their coco pops.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 6:31am