Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 22, 2020, 11:15pm
The interview with Holloway and Matt Dean is well worth a listen.  Basically, Holloway set Pollock up with a trial at a Premier League club but Pollock declined it because he believes we are the best club for his development.

Holloway has a mate in Scotland (presumably at Celtic/Rangers) who wants to discuss something with him.  Holloway presumes this is about our young players.

Hopefully when Holloway talks to the parents of Boyd and Grist, he takes the Pollock family with him!
Posted by: Bignic69, October 22, 2020, 11:22pm; Reply: 1
If true, that's brilliant on Pollocks side, refreshing to see a youngster not blinded by the lights.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, October 22, 2020, 11:24pm; Reply: 2
is there a link, thanks
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 22, 2020, 11:36pm; Reply: 3
Well the interview on the official site was done in the ponny.

BUT

They still managed to get the back ground noise from cheapside  on making hard to hear what was being said.

It was.not because Ollie had a mask on for some reason.
Posted by: toontown, October 23, 2020, 6:48am; Reply: 4
Quoted from grimsby pete
Well the interview on the official site was done in the ponny.

BUT

They still managed to get the back ground noise from cheapside  on making hard to hear what was being said.

It was.not because Ollie had a mask on for some reason.

Haha - maybe they had the wind noise dubbed in to make it feel familiar to town fans!

Posted by: toontown, October 23, 2020, 6:55am; Reply: 5
Yes very impressive decision by pollock - declining to visit the  premier league club altogether. Perhaps he thought as soon as he visited the sight of all the facilities, the big name players and, of course, the fat wedge on offer would be impossible to resist.
He's used to being in the first team squad as a central defender whilst still a teenager, which is exceptional. If he goes to the prem it's years of meaningless u23 football at empty grounds to look forward to. After playing in the first team for a while maybe he just doesn't want to give that up?
Posted by: Henryscat, October 23, 2020, 7:38am; Reply: 6
To be honest we all know he’s capable of playing higher but I t’s worth remembering that his dad played at the highest levels and will no doubt have a big influence on Matty’s decisions.

Another season or two playing regular first team football at his age will only increase his worth and potential. If I remember correctly Ryan Bennett had played a lot of games before leaving.
Posted by: golfer, October 23, 2020, 8:40am; Reply: 7
I hadn't realised that he was Jamie Pollocks son. Jamie was apparently voted in an internet poll by QPR fans as the most influential man in the last 2000years ( Jesus coming second ) when he scored a spectacular own goal to save QPR from relegation.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 23, 2020, 8:48am; Reply: 8
Quoted from bobbyturtle
is there a link, thanks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08w161r
Posted by: pizzzza, October 23, 2020, 11:06am; Reply: 9
Quoted from golfer
I hadn't realised that he was Jamie Pollocks son. Jamie was apparently voted in an internet poll by QPR fans as the most influential man in the last 2000years ( Jesus coming second ) when he scored a spectacular own goal to save QPR from relegation.

Oh yeah, I can remember that one. It's a classic OG!

[youtube]ZAc8JooS3MY[/youtube]
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 23, 2020, 11:32am; Reply: 10
I’d like to see the club seize Mattie’s wish to remain here by offering him a new 3 year contract to prove it.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 23, 2020, 12:23pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from pizzzza

Oh yeah, I can remember that one. It's a classic OG!

Alan Pouton: Hold my Brown Ale like
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 23, 2020, 12:27pm; Reply: 12
I always thought Matt y was a special young man.

He will play in the premier at a time of his choosing.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 23, 2020, 12:30pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from jimgtfc
I’d like to see the club seize Mattie’s wish to remain here by offering him a new 3 year contract to prove it.

With a decent pay rise ( if we can afford it )

If we can't there is always the chance he will go when is contract is up and we will lose a big transfer fee.
Posted by: Posh Harry, October 23, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 14
It is nice that the lad has made this decision, but there is part of me that would have liked to have got a nice fat fee and an agreement for him to be loaned back to us for the remainder of the season.
Posted by: golfer, October 23, 2020, 2:57pm; Reply: 15
Dear Olly - Please see the above post from Posh Harry - you know it makes sense
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, October 23, 2020, 3:43pm; Reply: 16
Dear Ollie, Please don't listen to them two above.  Keep Mattie, let him grow with us and increase his stock and sell him for more in the future.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 23, 2020, 3:52pm; Reply: 17
Let's think about this pragmatically.

Mattie needs just one good, healthy three-year contract with a Premier League club to set him up for life. That weekly wage will be much higher if he's got 100+ league games under his belt — by which time he'll still only be 19 or 20 if he continues at this rate.

If he goes to a Premier League club now, his wages won't be much more than he's on now. They'll be more, don't get me wrong, but not enough to set him up for life.

If he doesn't make it at that level, or fails to break through, he'll become just another of the hundreds of players who live year to year on League 1 and League 2 contracts, which might earn them a decent whack in the short term but not the millions you get in the Prem.

Naturally I'm biased, and I think we all know he has the potential to play higher. The longer he stays here, the more he shines, the likelier he'll be equipped to actually play in the Prem, which will earn him a better wage.

Move now and he'll end up playing U23 football for the next few years.
Posted by: golfer, October 23, 2020, 5:41pm; Reply: 18
You no listen to Posh Harry
Posted by: moosey_club, October 23, 2020, 6:05pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from RichMariner

Mattie needs just one good, healthy three-year contract with a Premier League club to set him up for life. That weekly wage will be much higher if he's got 100+ league games under his belt — by which time he'll still only be 19 or 20 if he continues at this rate.

If he goes to a Premier League club now, his wages won't be much more than he's on now. They'll be more, don't get me wrong, but not enough to set him up for life.

If he doesn't make it at that level, or fails to break through, he'll become just another of the hundreds of players who live year to year on League 1 and League 2 contracts, which might earn them a decent whack in the short term but not the millions you get in the Prem.

Naturally I'm biased, and I think we all know he has the potential to play higher. The longer he stays here, the more he shines, the likelier he'll be equipped to actually play in the Prem, which will earn him a better wage.

He is also just one sh1t challenge away from ending his career every game he plays. Very loyal of him to not even consider a look, may well have his immediate playing career in mind and hoping to develop further and hopefully that pays off for him with a long and succesful career.
Wonder if he has any deeper loyalties , being born in Middlesborough, if it was Newcastle who was the club would he not consider it ?

Posted by: Meza, October 23, 2020, 6:07pm; Reply: 20
I'm more interested to know why his dad being the major influencer decided GY over other clubs.

Mattie is like one of the GY boys, you can see how much passion he has for the club when we score and celebrated in front of the fans (last season).
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 23, 2020, 6:14pm; Reply: 21
As we already have more loans then can play each week if Pollock had been bought and loaned back is he under the same rules or would they be different with his circumstances.
Posted by: Henryscat, October 23, 2020, 6:38pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Meza
I'm more interested to know why his dad being the major influencer decided GY over other clubs.

Mattie is like one of the GY boys, you can see how much passion he has for the club when we score and celebrated in front of the fans (last season).

Possibly the same reason we’ve got Jock Curran (although Terry played for us)

I think the work Woods does needs a lot more recognition.
Posted by: Meza, October 23, 2020, 6:46pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Henryscat

Possibly the same reason we’ve got Jock Curran (although Terry played for us)

I think the work Woods does needs a lot more recognition.

Did he play for Sheff Utd as a Terry Curran is mentioned in "When Saturday Comes" film starring Sean Bean.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 23, 2020, 6:54pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Meza

Did he play for Sheff Utd as a Terry Curran is mentioned in "When Saturday Comes" film starring Sean Bean.

Sure that's wasn't Tony Currie??.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), October 23, 2020, 7:15pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from RichMariner

‘’If he goes to a premier league club now his wages won’t be much more than he’s on now’.  Depends on the club but at least five times as a minimum.  We don’t have the cash to give him a big pay rise but we could give him a three year deal on what we can afford and agree that he gets 20% of any transfer fee minus agents fee.
Posted by: Numanoid, October 23, 2020, 7:16pm; Reply: 26
Terry curran played for both Sheffield clubs i believe scoring a screamer against the other , not sure which way round tho :-/
Posted by: Meza, October 23, 2020, 7:23pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

ah haha yeah your right.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 23, 2020, 7:29pm; Reply: 28
Yep sounds like a  plan GY. If he goes to a Prem League club he will probably be stuck in the U23's  & then out on loan to clubs like us to gain actual playing time experience.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 23, 2020, 7:51pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from RichMariner

He turned 19 last month and according to the website transfermarkt has only played 34 games.  Bennett will have been about 19.5 when we loaned him go Peterborough having played about 120 games.

Jolley thrust Pollock into first team action at 17 and he played a blinder at Exeter. Fans were clamouring for him to play but he only really started playing regularly once Holloway got his hands on him.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 23, 2020, 8:47pm; Reply: 30

R Russ!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2020, 9:02pm; Reply: 31

Tony Currie on his day was a great player, I can’t recall wether it was him or Stan Bowles who had a mare when they came to BP in the early 80’s. Both got a “warm welcome”. 😉
Posted by: LH, October 23, 2020, 10:23pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from RichMariner

If he goes to a Premier League club now, his wages won't be much more than he's on now.

A couple of years ago I worked with a bloke who’s lad had (a few years earlier) played in the U23s for a (then) PL club and England U17s. He was a very highly rated young player and was on a multi year contract at his club on in excess of £5,000 per week. No player has earned anything like that at Town since the 2000s. Last I heard he was playing non-league in S Yorks after growing frustrated with professional football.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2020, 10:26pm; Reply: 33
When I first saw this to be honest I was a bit p1ssed off as we could lose one of our best assets before we settle the squad and he’s ready.

Though on reflection manager/director tries to sell an asset to reinvest 100% of the net fee into improving the squad then that shows the tree benefit if having IH at the club.

As long as we get a good price, minimises agents fees  and the pipeline of replacements takes us forward then it’s better than where we’ve been surely?
Posted by: mimma, October 23, 2020, 10:33pm; Reply: 34
I believe his dad is his agent.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2020, 10:52pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from HertsGTFC
When I first saw this to be honest I was a bit p1ssed off as we could lose one of our best assets before we settle the squad and he’s ready.

Though on reflection manager/director tries to sell an asset to reinvest 100% of the net fee into improving the squad then that shows the tree benefit if having IH at the club.

As long as we get a good price, minimises agents fees  and the pipeline of replacements takes us forward then it’s better than where we’ve been surely?

The chances of that happening though are pretty slim with £1.6m* of Benign Debt and the current circumstances.

* 2019 accounts, so may be out of date - haven't seen 2020 accounts.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2020, 11:15pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The chances of that happening though are pretty slim with £1.6m* of Benign Debt and the current circumstances.

* 2019 accounts, so may be out of date - haven't seen 2020 accounts.

In accounting terms benign debt usually gets serviced out of distributable profit after a buffer has been imposed. In the current crisis I’d think the buffer would be pretty big before the directors could take any remuneration including loan repayments.

As much as it’s “fashionable“ to refer to this there is no evidence that player sales would service JF’s debt before reinvestment or in the worst case scenario club survival.

History could go on to prove IH may be lots of things but I’m 100% confident one of them won’t be an income generator for JF.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 23, 2020, 11:20pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from LH

A couple of years ago I worked with a bloke who’s lad had (a few years earlier) played in the U23s for a (then) PL club and England U17s. He was a very highly rated young player and was on a multi year contract at his club on in excess of £5,000 per week. No player has earned anything like that at Town since the 2000s. Last I heard he was playing non-league in S Yorks after growing frustrated with professional football.

Adam Drury was said to be on £10k pw. at man city, whilst I know of a West ham reserve who was on similar money, despite never playing for the first team and then moved to Bolton for much higher wages.
Posted by: LH, October 23, 2020, 11:31pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from forza ivano

Adam Drury was said to be on £10k pw. at man city, whilst I know of a West ham reserve who was on similar money, despite never playing for the first team and then moved to Bolton for much higher wages.

I think this lad was on something more like £8000 a week but wasn’t sure. This is going on ten years ago now. He’s never needed mortgage put it that way - although his dad is very upset that he gave it all up as he’s still having to pay one! Regardless playing kids football at the top is far more lucrative than playing week in week out in League Two and fair play to Mattie for grinding it out for us for that.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2020, 11:51pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from HertsGTFC

In accounting terms benign debt usually gets serviced out of distributable profit after a buffer has been imposed. In the current crisis I’d think the buffer would be pretty big before the directors could take any remuneration including loan repayments.

As much as it’s “fashionable“ to refer to this there is no evidence that player sales would service JF’s debt before reinvestment or in the worst case scenario club survival.

History could go on to prove IH may be lots of things but I’m 100% confident one of them won’t be an income generator for JF.

Every season we’ve been back in the League (except maybe last - as I said haven’t seen the accounts) we paid money back to JF. Some out of profits and some out of the Bogle money. Director’s debts were reduced from player sales and operating revenue. There’s no other way that money could have been paid back unless Old Shutup has got a magic money tree like Rishi Sunak. I’d say that was evidence enough.

I’m not saying JF would take the money out this year because of the situation we find ourselves in. I said that new player purchases will be a down the list of priorities and behind keeping the club afloat and repaying JF.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 24, 2020, 12:02am; Reply: 40

Every season we’ve been back in the League (except maybe last - as I said haven’t seen the accounts) we paid money back to JF. Some out of profits and some out of the Bogle money. Director’s debts were reduced from player sales and operating revenue. There’s no other way that money could have been paid back unless Old Shutup has got a magic money tree like Rishi Sunak. I’d say that was evidence enough.

I’m not saying JF would take the money out this year because of the situation we find ourselves in. I said that new player purchases will be a down the list of priorities and behind keeping the club afloat and repaying JF.

I see what your saying but though I have no reason to join his fan club
I don’t believe the order of priority is...

1 Sell best players

2 Keep club alive

3 Buy more better players

4 Pay off JF

Numbers 1 & 2 are for sure top of the agenda and maybe rather than signing the next big thing IH was just trying to make sure we stay alive beyond what was it Phil Day said March 2021?

Either way well done to Mattie and his family who are sensible enough to know he has a bit to do just to ensure his next move is the right one.

Posted by: pen penfras, October 24, 2020, 9:34am; Reply: 41

It was mentioned at a fan forum, that the repayment didn't come out of the Bogle transfer fee, but came out of the other income that was part of FFP and couldn't be spent on the playing squad.

Whether that money would have been better invested elsewhere than paying off loans is a different argument. Both need to happen.
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), October 24, 2020, 10:51am; Reply: 42
It reads as though his dad is running an academy and his own career seemed to fizzle out quite early, also, he was at the top quite young. No surprise he wants his son to climb to success.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2020, 1:57pm; Reply: 43
I hope Pollock goes on to better things and we make a chunk of cash from him; it's a good model to have for teams like us, and something we should have been doing for a long time, like Peterborough have been doing for a while now. They have just shifted on Ivan Toney for 10 million, and he's not the first they have made a lot of money on.

I think Woods is doing a great job, and hopefully we will get a reputation for developing young players to play higher up the pyramid.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 24, 2020, 2:09pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from pen penfras

It was mentioned at a fan forum, that the repayment didn't come out of the Bogle transfer fee, but came out of the other income that was part of FFP and couldn't be spent on the playing squad.

Whether that money would have been better invested elsewhere than paying off loans is a different argument. Both need to happen.

FFP. Financial Fair Play?

Agree with your last comment.
Posted by: pen penfras, October 24, 2020, 7:59pm; Reply: 45

FFP. Financial Fair Play?

Agree with your last comment.

Yes, financial fair play. Or whatever it's actual name was.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 24, 2020, 11:10pm; Reply: 46
I don't deny that some young kids are being paid a few grand a week but I really doubt the amounts that are being quoted on here. A kid on £8k a week 10 years ago?

I know the Prem is awash with cash but these clubs know they can pick up these kids for a pittance. Say Mattie is on £700 a week here — why would you chuck £8k a week at him? You'd probably get him to sign for far less per week, with the promise of a much bigger contract if he fights his way into the first team.

Give them a huge pay packet up front and no wonder they fall out of love with the game - they earn enough to pay off a mortgage before they've even played for the first team.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 25, 2020, 10:59am; Reply: 47
Quoted from RichMariner
I don't deny that some young kids are being paid a few grand a week but I really doubt the amounts that are being quoted on here. A kid on £8k a week 10 years ago?

I know the Prem is awash with cash but these clubs know they can pick up these kids for a pittance. Say Mattie is on £700 a week here — why would you chuck £8k a week at him? You'd probably get him to sign for far less per week, with the promise of a much bigger contract if he fights his way into the first team.

Give them a huge pay packet up front and no wonder they fall out of love with the game - they earn enough to pay off a mortgage before they've even played for the first team.

The figures i quoted for the West ham reserve are true.I also have a friend who signed for that obnoxious Scottish c*nt at Crawley and was on £5k a week in division 2
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 25, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from pen penfras

Yes, financial fair play. Or whatever it's actual name was.

FFP is about limiting expenditure isn’t? Why would we be getting extra money under the scheme?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 25, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 49
I seem to recall Slade saying he enquired about a Premier League reserve player but his wages were astronomical.
Posted by: pen penfras, October 26, 2020, 10:54am; Reply: 50

FFP is about limiting expenditure isn’t? Why would we be getting extra money under the scheme?

How I phrased it was maybe misleading. Only 55% of eligible income was allowed to be spent on the playing squad. That leaves 45% of eligible income to be spent on other things. Better to pay off the loans than pay tax on a profit.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 26, 2020, 11:02am; Reply: 51
Quoted from pen penfras

How I phrased it was maybe misleading. Only 55% of eligible income was allowed to be spent on the playing squad. That leaves 45% of eligible income to be spent on other things. Better to pay off the loans than pay tax on a profit.

Ah I get you now.
Posted by: jaygy, October 26, 2020, 7:39pm; Reply: 52
Mattie makes it into the EFL team of the week again 👏👏
Posted by: pen penfras, October 26, 2020, 7:45pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from jaygy

I thought Waterfall has been our best player the last 2 games.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 26, 2020, 7:56pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from jaygy

Wot, no Macca? Should have made it for the entertainment value alone ;)

Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 7:39am